Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 1,026 | Reviews: 437
4.18/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought a 946ml (1 qt) bottle from Beers of the World on 6/21/14. Poured into a nonic, served at fridge temp.

appearance: color of Root Beer or Cola. manila head, nice lacing.

smell: mild sweet toasted caramel on top of a little noble hoppiness.

taste: sweet toasted caramel is thinned out a little by the pilsener.

mouthfeel: soft and supple.

overall: this is a tasty, easy to drink beer.

4.1/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This is not an overpowering dark beer which is why I rate it so highly. The beer has the characteristics one expects in a dark brew, but they come across in a subtle way. This Black & Tan is not the typical cross between dark and light ales, it is a blend of porter (rather than stout) and pilsner (rather than light ale). It is the perfect introduction for newbie beer connoiseurs who have yet to develop a tongue for stout beers.

The packaging is outstanding! The quart size glass bottle has the shape and appearance of a porcelane jug. The screw-on cap has a rubberized gasket so the beer can be partially consumed (why one would do that, is beyond me) and the remaining beer saved for later.

3.59/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled tonight on 4/27/14. Comes in a neat 32 ounce (946ml) 'jug' glass bottle. Bottle costs around $4. Chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a deep rich dark brown in color with a good 1-2 finger off-white head that settles down to a thin layer on top and sides of the glass. A good amount of lacing is seen with each sip. The aroma is of roasted malts, chocolate and coffee. The taste has even more going of with a hint of toffee along with the above flavors but is more mellow than the aroma. Perfect carbonation that wasn't over done. No harsh or bitter aftertaste is noted for the finish.

3.66/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

.I bought this beer because it is inexpensive and had an awesome bottle. It tastes great with a nice malty and chocolately base. The off smell was a bit off putting but the flavor makes up for it. I would buy this one again great value for the price and awesome reuseable bottle .

3.19/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

An inexpensive take on an under-appreciated tradition. Combining the rich flavors of a dark porter with the light smoothness of pilsner this pre-mixed black and tan is great for parties (in no small part because of the awesome whiskey jug style bottle) or to introduce more serious beers to friends and family who think they do not like "dark beer." However, when the novelty wears off the beer fails to impress.

Color and mouthfeel reflect the unique mixture, dark yet clear with a "thin" feel that seems totally foreign to the reasonably complex flavor.

Slight sweetness in the aroma but taste is dominated by earthy tones with a fairly obvious tobacco note. As my friend Matthew stated, "It tastes like the inside of a cigar box." Very low carbonation. As stated in other reviews finish is "abrupt," but not quite crisp.

Overall a novel, if not altogether thrilling experience.

1.43/5  rDev -54.5%

Pours a brown cola color with a small off white head which fades quickly. Had almost no head, even with a fairly aggressive pour. the aroma has some roasted malt, and not much else. Pretty bland.

Tastes very watered down, with some roasted malt and some sugar. No hop flavor at all. This is really bad.

Thin, watery, and bland, with low carbonation. I would not drink this again, or even try it again, not even if it was offered for free.

3.22/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Type: 1-Quart bottle
Glass: Stone Ruination IPA glass
From: Trader Joe’s in La Mesa (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $2.99
Purchased: Jan. 4, 2014
Consumed: Jan. 9, 2014
Misc.: N/A

Poured a mahogany brown clear color with 1-to-2 fingers of khaki gray head. Poor foamy lacing along the sides of the glass. Poor retention on the top.

Smelled black coffee, roasty nuts, dark chocolate, smoky woodfire and some toffee.

Tasted a lot mellower than the smell. First though was what the hell is this? Got black licorice, smoky woodfire, crayon, nuts and faint coffee. Big drop off from the nose.

Medium body. Oily texture. Soft carbonation. Abrupt finish.

This beer doesn’t quite fit the title. I think Mississippi dirt might be more appropriate.

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: Deep roasted body, almost looks like root beer with that instant off white head and carbonation.

Smell: Roasted malt, some dark light fruit, figs, plums, a touch of molasses, citrus, mildly bready.

Taste: Tastes very much like a pilsner crisp, light fruit, mild malt and hops. Everything is very light to touch

Mouthfeel: This is a light beer, I'm surprised how light this is to be honest. Most B&T I've tried, had a thicker body, but I know there were thicker porters used. This is very light, almost watery at times.

Conclusion: In a world where a gimmicks are needed, otherwise nobody would purchase your product. This is a great introduction to the craft beer world. The bottle is appealing, the taste is light, not too much of everything, but just enough for the starter.

3.52/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Simple yet refreshing. Although the smell was lacking, it more than made up for it with taste. I love a good black and tan and I thought for the price I got it (4.99 for a quart) that it was well worth it. Good heavy notes in the beginning leading to a nice crisp finish. I paired it with some pulled pork and homemade mac and cheese and I thought it complemented the meal nicely. And there was enough for an after dinner drink as well.

3.96/5  rDev +26.1%

A little something different. My first and I had no idea what to expect.

Its more Pilsner'ish then Porter'ish but I dont think thats by accident. When i was in England I was never a fan of mixing beers like this. I guess its my love for each type of beer that figures, "why mix"? But I dont regret buying MM and no doubt will again.

A fast Pilsner pour into a clear somewhat tan color makes for a pretty brew to look at. I enjoyed the smell a lot. Im getting grains and a bit of coffee in a smooth pilsner malt. The area around the glass has a light stout'ish aroma if you concentrate hard enough. Mild lacing with a disappointing head. A tad to carbonated me'thinks.

Refreshing taste with a slight dry bite, but missing the sensual after taste of a Porter. I'd be happier if the brew was a tad Portier and a tad less Pilsner'ee. But have no doubt Im enjoying this brew. "Just raised it to a 4.00 overall because its refreshes so well". Thanks no doubt to its Pilsner heritage. Im thinking Brats with a good mustard with this creation. Like at the WI. State fair with the awsome corn on the cob to boot. I remember the draft PBR that accompanied that. Mud would do even better.

So it could be muddier, but as a Pilsner fanatic, I wont be moving it to the "B" rack in the fridge. I recommend the Mud. Enjoy.

4.1/5  rDev +30.6%

From a 32oz jug into a glass mug. First time tasting this beer.

A- Dark brown ruby color. Brownish 1.5 finger creamy head, but fizzles to a 1/4 finger head. Lots of bubbles streaming up. Leaves a bit of lacing. Looks quite nice.

S- Roasted malts, raisins, a tinge of hops, dark coffee. Inviting.

T- Roasted malts up front, grassy hops, dark chocolate. It's bitter but has a very slight sweet note. Tastes like a brown ale, sort of like Newcastle. Leaves a bittersweet aftertaste.

M- Medium/light. The carbonation is light and not in your face. Very nice.

Drinkability- This is more of a "savor the taste" sort of beer. Not meant to be chugged. But it still has great drinkability.

O- Overall, this beer is pretty good. I kept eyeing it at the store for years and finally bought it today. It's enjoyable to drink it at night.

3.94/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Marketing wise this is a very fun beer, coming in a glass mini-growler, shrink wrapped in a tan label featuring black old fashioned font and an illustration of an alligator sitting between the copy. Poured into a pilsner glass, the color is a wonderfully reddish brown with some garnet highlights, a quickly dissipating head and perfect clarity. Aroma is predominantly of caramel malts, roasted grain, cereal; some hops detected at the finish, noble and slightly spicy. The taste is light, malty, and follows the nose very faithfully. Grainy, sweet, caramel and bread, some roastiness, very little hop flavor detected. Mouthfeel is medium-thin and highly carbonated. I'm sure this brew gets a bad rap from being ubiquitous and somewhat small in flavor. The aroma is definitely the best part but it is still a very enjoyable and pleasant session beer that I don't turn my nose up to and would definitely drink again.

3.66/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I truly love this beer as I love all porters and pilsners,so it would only stand to reason that I would love them together.this beer was one of my first experiences with craft beer,since then my palate has grown much larger but this beer is special to me.i like to drink this in the fall and winter as it goes well with cold nights by a fire.it drinks easy but has enough substance to keep you coming back,this a good beer for someone to step outside the box with for the first time.

3.65/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Mississippi Mud pours an opaque brown color with very little head. There is a light and mellow roasted malt aroma. The taste has a nice roasted malt flavors, that is very crisp as well. Lighter body, but nice carbonation, and nice feel. Overall its very tasty, its like a nice crisp easy drinking porter.

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours out to a nice off-white head and brown color. Aroma is a delicious blend of nuts, caramel, toffee and chocolate malt. Flavor is less impressive but good with toasty grains and some pilsner-like hop notes and grainy flavors in there as well. Mouthfeel is light-medium to make it easy drinking. Overall, a decent party brew in a convenient quart package.

3.78/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured a 32 oz bootlegger bottle into a clean glass and received the following.

A. Pours a purplish amber with a couple of fingers of tan foamy head that recedes slowly.

S. I can smell caramel, nuts, coffee, and a slight yeastiness.

T. The flavor is very caramel focused with a little bit of nuts and plenty of sweetness. This is a gentle but very deep flavor profile. Perhaps a little bit of hops on the nose but not too much in the flavor.

M. Light and smooth and very refreshing.

O. Overall this is alway one of the beers that I'll pick up if I see it in the cooler and while it's not a "go-to" beer its definitely in it's own league.

4.29/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Just had the 1 liter bottle, it has a great taste and for only having 5% ABV it actually feels like a higher content. Good job to those who made a great beer. I would recommend it to all of my friends. I just wish the cost wasn't so high. Other than that keep up the good work and I am looking forward to buying some more of your beer.

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown with a certain clarity, almost sort of a see-through quality, it actually looks a lot like a cola aside from the head. The head isn't fantastically large or strong, but it doesn't disappear like a soda. Though sparsely bubbled, it's active in some fashion for a good while. Lacing is light but present.
Understanding the style is key, but this beer works regardless in its own way. Like the Cascadian Black (aka Black IPA), its the marriage of two near opposites in a way that both sides contribute uniquely. This one, in fact, is sort of a light version of that idea, in which less intense styles are used. The porter contributes a bit of roast and the maltier elements with a bit of barley, while the pilsner offers a brighter, citrusy and leafier element. It's refreshing, and it works together pretty well. It's not for everyone, but I wouldn't turn it down.
The feel takes more of the pilsner character; it's about a medium body, but focuses on a bright sort of crispness and sturdy, consistent carbonation.

3.05/5  rDev -2.9%

I wish I knew more about the pilsner and the porter used in this bottle half and half. The beer was okay with my pizza. I poured into a pint jar, the color was dark but not dense, the head was small, quarter an inch. I poured from the 1 quart jug which is a nice novelty, the gator is a nice touch. Beer was decent, but not remarkable. I could drink a couple.

2.57/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

First of all, I would like to note that on the case that I bought, it says to serve at room temperature, hence I am doing so. I poured the Mississippi Mud into a common "Guinness" Porter glass, even though this is a Black and Tan beer. I am a high advocate of the proper beer glass, for the beer.

Appearance- It is a deep deep amber red color. It is not quite as dark as I expected, however it is a black and tan beer. It is however a see through beer with little to no carbonation bubbles. The head is just an off white brown with dissipating pockets around the glass. Very little lacing on the glass and I even poured aggressively.

Smell- With a simple swirl of the glass I get this nice beautiful smell of coffee and roasted malt. Some people may not like this beer's smell but I really enjoy it. With my second smell, I get this overwhelming roasted malt with a "cleany" adjunct kind of smell.

Taste- My first sip...very very mild. I was expecting a much more deep porter taste. It really does taste as though it is a non carbonated pilsner with a little kick of porter with the after taste. I taste a mild but consistence malt taste with a hint of coffee after the gulp is taken. Taste so far, disappointed.

Mouthfeel- What else can I say, watery. For a black and tan, I expected a poor "molassesy" feel or at least heavier than a typical pilsner. It is very light in mouthfeel for a black and tan to say the least.

Overall- Overall, the only good thing that I do somewhat really enjoy is the smell and appearance of this beer. The Taste and Mouthfeel really disappoint me. The best part of this beer however is the growler that it came in. Basically, it is a bad ass growler that will decorate my room. Overall, I will give this beer a 2.5 I would recommend it only to someone who is new in the beer tasting world because it is a building block to be built upon.

Finally, I would like to note this is my first beer review ever. PLEASE let me know how I did and or, how I can improve...CHEERS!

3.74/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Mississippi Mud is an interesting combination of beer....porter and pilsner. The porter provides roast, peat and mild dark chocolate. The pilsner provides grassy like hops and bitterness. Put them together and you have a decent balanced beer that is easy drinking and sessionable. This beer is probably better drank in the cooler spring, fall and winter days. Additionally this beer would go well with spicier foods. Overall a good beer and worth a try.

3.19/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Now this has got to be the coolest vessel on the market.

Served in a Stone tulip.

A: Poured a very dark amber color, water-like in its disposition, and with about a 1/8 finger head.

S: Really nothing.

T: Actually, it was a bit better than I was expecting, but it still wasn't anything to write home about. Dark roast poking through a watery pilsener. It was like a very, very light porter.

M: Carbonation was fine, but the overall feel was extremely watery. The lacing was mild.

O: Well, it wasn't gross. That is the highest appraisal I can honestly give it.

2.74/5  rDev -12.7%

Only purchased this to get the cool mini growler

A: Black with some big time head

S: Slight coffee

T: Blah. Kind of a boring beer to be honest. Not much going on here besides a slight coffee taste.

O: The 4 dollars was only worth it because it came with the cool growler but I would have been disappointed otherwise

I used to drink this beer in North Carolina. It's a good combination of porter and pilsner beers, unusual in my opinion for black and tans as in my experience they are stout and lager like Guinness and Harp. Still, it's very tasty and amusing in name being brewed in Utica, New York.

4.02/5  rDev +28%

I love the jug. The appearance is unique and sets it apart from other bottles.
Distinct coffee, chocolate flavors. Sharp bite at the end. The coffee hits first and last. The chocolate taste is there but not overpowering. Nice brown head that holds the glass reasonably well. I enjoyed this beer and will purchase it again.

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.