Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 418 | Hads: 1,037
3.05/5  rDev -0.7%

I wish I knew more about the pilsner and the porter used in this bottle half and half. The beer was okay with my pizza. I poured into a pint jar, the color was dark but not dense, the head was small, quarter an inch. I poured from the 1 quart jug which is a nice novelty, the gator is a nice touch. Beer was decent, but not remarkable. I could drink a couple. (359 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

First of all, I would like to note that on the case that I bought, it says to serve at room temperature, hence I am doing so. I poured the Mississippi Mud into a common "Guinness" Porter glass, even though this is a Black and Tan beer. I am a high advocate of the proper beer glass, for the beer.

Appearance- It is a deep deep amber red color. It is not quite as dark as I expected, however it is a black and tan beer. It is however a see through beer with little to no carbonation bubbles. The head is just an off white brown with dissipating pockets around the glass. Very little lacing on the glass and I even poured aggressively.

Smell- With a simple swirl of the glass I get this nice beautiful smell of coffee and roasted malt. Some people may not like this beer's smell but I really enjoy it. With my second smell, I get this overwhelming roasted malt with a "cleany" adjunct kind of smell.

Taste- My first sip...very very mild. I was expecting a much more deep porter taste. It really does taste as though it is a non carbonated pilsner with a little kick of porter with the after taste. I taste a mild but consistence malt taste with a hint of coffee after the gulp is taken. Taste so far, disappointed.

Mouthfeel- What else can I say, watery. For a black and tan, I expected a poor "molassesy" feel or at least heavier than a typical pilsner. It is very light in mouthfeel for a black and tan to say the least.

Overall- Overall, the only good thing that I do somewhat really enjoy is the smell and appearance of this beer. The Taste and Mouthfeel really disappoint me. The best part of this beer however is the growler that it came in. Basically, it is a bad ass growler that will decorate my room. Overall, I will give this beer a 2.5 I would recommend it only to someone who is new in the beer tasting world because it is a building block to be built upon.

Finally, I would like to note this is my first beer review ever. PLEASE let me know how I did and or, how I can improve...CHEERS! (2,006 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Mississippi Mud is an interesting combination of beer....porter and pilsner. The porter provides roast, peat and mild dark chocolate. The pilsner provides grassy like hops and bitterness. Put them together and you have a decent balanced beer that is easy drinking and sessionable. This beer is probably better drank in the cooler spring, fall and winter days. Additionally this beer would go well with spicier foods. Overall a good beer and worth a try. (457 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Now this has got to be the coolest vessel on the market.

Served in a Stone tulip.

A: Poured a very dark amber color, water-like in its disposition, and with about a 1/8 finger head.

S: Really nothing.

T: Actually, it was a bit better than I was expecting, but it still wasn't anything to write home about. Dark roast poking through a watery pilsener. It was like a very, very light porter.

M: Carbonation was fine, but the overall feel was extremely watery. The lacing was mild.

O: Well, it wasn't gross. That is the highest appraisal I can honestly give it. (564 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -10.7%

Only purchased this to get the cool mini growler

A: Black with some big time head

S: Slight coffee

T: Blah. Kind of a boring beer to be honest. Not much going on here besides a slight coffee taste.

O: The 4 dollars was only worth it because it came with the cool growler but I would have been disappointed otherwise (321 characters)

I used to drink this beer in North Carolina. It's a good combination of porter and pilsner beers, unusual in my opinion for black and tans as in my experience they are stout and lager like Guinness and Harp. Still, it's very tasty and amusing in name being brewed in Utica, New York. (283 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +30.9%

I love the jug. The appearance is unique and sets it apart from other bottles.
Distinct coffee, chocolate flavors. Sharp bite at the end. The coffee hits first and last. The chocolate taste is there but not overpowering. Nice brown head that holds the glass reasonably well. I enjoyed this beer and will purchase it again. (323 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +20.8%

one of my favorite beers i tried it once because it was on sale and was real suprised if you like dark beers this is 1 to try. not too pricy, its got a cool jug, and doesnt really go flat or taste bad warm 250 characters is kinda long so iguess i will end it with SCREW FLANDERS (278 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A go to beer when in a pinch. Big bold bottle that makes you feel like your a cast member of Moonshiners. Grab this stuff, knock out a few of your teeth and have at it. A quality a beer with crisp carbonation. In the World of craft beers its hard to measure up to the big boys but when in a pinch or low on cash it's time to sling some mud!

Bottom Line: Four wheelers, camp fires and Mississippi Mud make for one heck of a good time! (434 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally trying this at age 32.

Not sure what the bottle is supposed to represent, shape and color, but it looks fun.

Smell out of the bottle is malt.

Color resembles a Bock - red amber, filtered, with a tinge of brown.

Smell out of glass is a burnt smell.

Taste is definitely malty, with a bitter, smokey aftertaste.

Sourness dominates the mouthfeel.

This beer isn't bad, but definitely not a favorite. (409 characters)

Carbonations is lame, so when the muds in ya you know we aint drinking no soda pop. FACT. Lets be honest, if I'm at a party and I got a fist full of mud, shes getting laid. You wont catch me sippin the watered down taste of a peat bog type of brew such as busch lite or others. No pansy IPAs eitha, only that real, raw, smooth, the taste of a Mangrove lagune, canoe gliding ontop of a soup of brown and black clouds. It picked me up like a dust storm in eastern Washington and when that sappy nectar finally endured it's last drop, me and my bussdown were thoroughly pleased, and pleasured. By the mud, see when you give yourself to something bigger than you, you fall back into the mud and let the dirt slowly seep over your body and brown out your sight. It's as if you could go to the local WinCo and pick out an untainted 18 year old virgin, fresh out of high school with everything a pimp knew to, out of a line of well past their golden years milfs, pregnant teenage junkies, and overweight soccer moms looking for some love. That is Mississippi Mud my friends, it's as if mother earths loins were split on the rim of your lips and she let out a stream foggy as the winding meander dumping silts and sands carried from foreign lands down to Mississippi Delta. (1,265 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +2%

Appearance - Pours a somewhat clear, deep ruby brown with an off-white head that's just under 2 finger thick. Decent retention. A fine, silky and somewhat sticky lacing.

Smell - Notes of roasted chocolate malt and hints of coffee mostly, though a bit muddled, likely by the pilsner.

Taste - Strong notes of chocolate hit right off the bat, and ring through from start to finish. A hint of coffee. A bit of metallic twang creeps up mid-taste, then finishes a tad stale, like day old coffee that's been sitting in tin. Metallic aftertaste lingers.

Mouthfeel - Light in body, and the carbonation is a bit weak.

Overall - Starts off great, but sip after sip becomes a bit of a struggle, as the funky metallic flavor muddles up all the good porter character that's present to begin. Halting the drinkage for a few minutes and allowing the bland metallic flavor to dissipate does help to get back to square one, but is it really worth it? It's not all that great to begin with. Props on one of the coolest bottles in the industry, though! (1,036 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Ha! I had to pick up this old fashioned jug (one whole quart!) of novelty brew. Pours a dirty brown with a small white head. Actually looks like it could be scooped straight from the big river

S - LIght lager with a hint of darker malt. Smells like a thin dark lager more than a self-made black and tan with more expertly "curated" brews.

T - This is really under assertive. Mild and slightly toasty, but there isn't a helluva lot going on.

M - LIght bodied and drinkable. Mellow and a bit fizzier than I would like.

This is a very drinkable and thirst quenching beer. But, it offers nothing to really stand out in my memory except the cool and collectable ceramic jug. Find a wash board and a thimble and you are halfway to the making of the next great hipster "string band." (784 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +1%

I found this pretty boring, thin, and a little too sweet for the amount of character, but pleasant enough and at least with some light, if simple, character.

Copper-brown, it has a medium-big pale tan head slowly shrinking to thin ring.

Aroma is mild but firm, pleasant, darkly toasty barley, hints of woody caramel/root beer, and bread crust.

Taste is pleasant, firm, but simple sweet caramelly-toasty barley, light almost root-beer-like woody-grassy bitterness. Feel is a bit thin and nondescript. (502 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a cool fake ceramic jug a very dark brown with a red hue. There was a small white head but that disappeared quickly.

The smell is roasted malts and coffee.

The taste is sweet and malty. Not too bad.

The mouth is very light and refreshing. The body is light with medium carbonation.

Overall not as bad as I expected it to be. It has the dark malty flavours but is also light and refreshing. (405 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +5.2%

32oz growler shaped bottle. Received as a gift.

Pours a dark reddish brown, decent clarity with a nice full off white head with pretty good retention and decent lace.

Aroma is somewhat bland. Light roast, fruity esters, and hints of strange meat funk. Some lageriness noticeable as well.

TAste is somewhat decent for the style. Both beers can be noticed but the ending result makes it come off as a light porter. Light roasted malt, toasted malt with hints of berry and grape like fruits. As it warms some caramel and brown sugar take over. Finishes with some lager qualities.

Light feel, light finish, but definatly not watery. Easy drinker.

Overall, this is a pretty good example of a black and tan but this style is longing for some expierimentation by the bigger, better breweries. The bottom line is that this is not something memorable enough to come back too. (876 characters)

this is the closest bottled black and tan that i have had to the real black and tans done with a spoon. i give it a two thumbs up!!!

perfect color, creamy but also lager type taste. good head on it. best served at room temp!

i also like the bottle, its a pretty cool design and reminds me of the old moonshine bottles. this brew is pretty easily attainable. most package stores that have craft brews will have this. (417 characters)

Found the beer at local deli. I tried it with friends and found it almost perfect. Better to drink from goblet. Nice brown color with tan head. Flavor mellow, taste rich and full, smooth and creamy texture. When in tall glass taste will change as beer is consumed. Smoother than a stout and clean mouth with no after taste. I like it and continue to buy. Thanks for a great product. Keith (388 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +14%

So, yes, the bottle, name and artwork is very cheesy. And I think this beer gets a bad rap because of it.

A - Poured out a dark, dark brown color with a small, khaki colored head of foam. It left some sudsy sheets of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of chocolate and some roasty notes.

T - Mostly chocolate with caramel and a slight bitterness. It started out tasting like a porter, but as it warmed it tasted more like a Munich Dunkel Lager.

M - It was fairly crisp and sharp. A light bodied beer with a somewhat dry finish.

O - This is better than what I expected from the reviews. (589 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a medium brown color with a 1/2 inch light tan head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and surface foam bearing various thicknesses. Decent lacing sticks to the glass longer than expected.

S- Lightly roasted aroma that's a bit nutty like smoked pecans. Some coffee and chocolate.

T- Initial dark malt flavor that's soon swept away by a light lager taste. The malt flavor is toasty with notes of soft chocolate while the lager flavor is watery and bland. There's also some faint caramel sweetness.

M- Medium carbonation and a surprisingly light body.

O- I can kinda see why this is so popular among non-craft drinkers but it just leaves me wanting more of the porter side and less of the pilsner. (796 characters)

A: The beer is very dark red in color but clear and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: There are light to moderate amounts of roasted malt aromas in the nose along with some hints of maple syrup.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has flavors of nutty malts along with notes of roasted malts and hints of maple syrup and smoke.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer does not have much complexity in the flavors but its light body makes it very easy to drink. (669 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Pours a crystal clear dark amber in color with some lighter amber colors when held up to the light. The beer has a finger tall light beige head that quickly reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a small patch of thicker bubbles and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: The aroma of this beer is rather malty with some lighter notes of brown sugar and molasses sweetness.

T: This beer has flavors of roasted malts, nuttiness, and some sweetness from maple syrup/molasses. Just a touch too sweet for my tastes but there is just a very light hint of smokiness.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. So much carbonation it is almost prickly.

O: This beer is nothing special but it is certainly not offensive either. The last time I had this beer, I was still an undergrad and thought this was quality craft beer - how much the world has changed in the last 20 years, especially in my appreciation of good craft beers. Easy to drink but not something I really want to have more than one during a session. Not sure I will get this one again but it was a nice walk down memory lane. (1,210 characters)

I picked up a jug of this from Woodman's in Rockford, IL in summer 2012. Pours a medium brown color with an off white foamy head. Scent is fairly malty as is the taste. Has an overall pretty dry taste but has some nice caramel hints as well. Texture is average as to be expected. Just a reasonable 32 oz jug of beer in a more rare to find style. Probably one of the more plentiful black and tan beers on the market. (415 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +53.7%

very smooth, good color, nice looking bottle. It is easy to find at carryout stores in our area. Price is very good @ 2.99 a quart. It is well with-in my price range and very tasty. A dark beer with no heavy after taste. you should give this beer a try if you are into dark or great tasting smooth brew. (303 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +54.1%

I'm kind of shocked to see such low reviews on this beer. I live in Rhode Island and for some reason we cannot get this beer up here anymore. It's very disappointing to me because this was one of my all time favorite beers! I loved everything about this brew. The taste was awesome, the smell was great, there was no nasty after taste and it had a pretty cool looking little growler! I hope some day we get this back up here. Truly a great beer in my opinion and I miss it. (473 characters)

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.