Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001)
3.13/5  rDev +0.6%

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan pours a medium brown with an off white head from a brown bottle shaped like a miniature one quart moonshine jug with a twist off cap. I kind of like the aroma, malty, on the cocoa side. I'm not real impressed with the taste, its kind of fruity, and maybe a little cocoa toward the end. Not bad overall, I really wasn't expecting much based upon the gimmicky bottle. I tried it many years ago and I didn't remember being impressed, so actually its better than I would have suspected.

Drew966, Oct 21, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -16.4%

1Quart brown jug

Mississippi Mud Black and Tan was a dark amber color and clear. The light tan head had decent retention and left a little lace behind. The aroma was light with a little malt and some toasted notes. The taste was a little roasty, but not much else. The mouthfeel was thin with medium to high carbonation. The best thing about this beer was the jug it came in.

afinepilsner, Sep 21, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +7.1%

pours out an amber to dark beer with a tiny head.somewhat carbonated.Smell of a porterlike licorice type smell ,,not bad.Taste is pretty pale somewhat of a watered down porter{which i guess is what a black and tan essentially is} but i like it its very subtle.mouthfeel ,,eh not much.a pretty good brew looks like its good for sessioning.

tweeder263, Sep 16, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -1%

I've been temped to buy this stuff for the farkatke bottle many, many times and tonight was finally the night. I was at the Trader Joe's on White Oak and I refrained from buying those chocolate orange things, so I figured I give the Mississippi Mud (from upstate New York) a shot.

The pour is awesome. Massive head with stellar retention. The color is amber to light brown. This smells like a weak attempt at a brown ale.

Okay, the taste is strange. The beer is a combination of an English porter and a pilsner. Now almost every English stout, English porter, and English brown ale is horrible when it's cold, however the only way to pick up the porter character in this beer is when it's straight from the refrigerator. After two minutes it tastes like some bland brown, amber, or even a marzen.

The mouthfeel is average. The way to consume this entire jug is to pour a glassful and then put it back in the fridge until the next pour.

goschool, Sep 12, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -1%

I have seen this crazy jug of beer multiple times in the past and finally decided to check it out. I read some of the other reviews here and wasn't expecting too much out of it, but all in all I thought it was fairly decent. First off, the jug is pretty outstanding. Got to really give this brewer some props on creativity with what looks like an earthenware jug.

I poured into a standard pint glass and got a thin head that left little to no lacing on the glass. The color is what got me. Very dark but still allowed light through, giving a dark reddish blackish color. It definitely looks appealing. Took a good smell of the beer and would say it smells like a fairly ordinary lager beer. Nothing really jumps out, no distinct hop aroma. Taste kind of lived up to the beer. It was good, but not great, more or less kind of nondescript. A slight roasty flavor, but no real discernible hop character. The bottle says it captures the true flavor of a black and tan, but I would a Guinness and Harp hand poured is much better.

This beer kind of amused me in a way. The look of the bottle and the name on it implies it is from Mississippi, but then you read that it is brewed it Utica, NY. A decent beer, nothing to go out of your way for, but might not be a bad option if you wanted a decent sized beer for a low price.

Generik420, Sep 12, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +32.8%

This is a beer I have enjoyed many times. Perfect for the occasions when you're just hanging out with friends and need to bring your own beer. Available near me in either 1 pint or 1 quart bottles, either of which is fun to look at and carry around. Never poured this beer into a glass, but the smell from the bottle is slightly sweet, fresh, but not powerful by any meaning of the word. Tastes much like you'd expect, like a black and tan; quite tasty, but nothing to write home about in this case. Very easy to enjoy a quart or two without getting tired of it.

antinexus, Sep 07, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured a crystal clear mahogony color with massive off-white creamy head. Smell is opleasant mixture of dark fruits. Taste is all predominately fruits, and is very pleasant to the taste buds. Finishes sweet and creamy. A very one-dimensional beer, but actually quite tasty and enjoyable.

tgbljb, Sep 05, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan
32 oz bottle
Recent brewing, drank 08/06
Regular pour in a tulip glass

Poured a clear reddish brown, with average frothy head.

Smelt of burnt molasses and a hint of licorice.

Taste was of light sweet bready malts and dying quickly with slight fruit and spice, and awkward bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel was light, fizzy and astringent.

Overall, a classy beer to drink in public straight from the jug-shaped bottle, that will still draw ridicule from the monks.

xav33, Aug 02, 2006
3.23/5  rDev +3.9%

I picked up a jug of Mississippi Mud Black & Tan at a grocery store, to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a dark brown color and is clear, with a reddish hue when held up to the light. A foamy two-finger tan head forms and is quite resilient, producing moderate lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is mild (bordering on weak), and “porter-like.” There are roasted grain aromas and a caramel malt smell.

The taste is a bland cereal or biscuit flavor up front, followed by some hints of coffee, then a mild hop finish. The aftertaste tastes a bit like cardboard. The flavors are a bit clunky together, it might just take some getting used to.

The mouth feel is fairly light, for a dark beer, and smooth. The beer is highly carbonated.

This is a drinkable beer, but a little odd and unusual. Smooth and light, it might be a good intro-beer for someone who isn’t sure about a regular porter. I don’t know that I’ll have this again.

NOTE: Like many I was taken with the packaging. Mine is a quart jug. I plan to keep it and use it as a mini-growler. It will make a nice travel jug for some of the brews I can’t get in bottles.

RJLarse, Jul 26, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -10.6%

One quart bottle with clay-looking plastic coating and "cellar aged" is written on the bottle. Says it's a mix of pilsner and porter. It pours a reddish chestnut with a 1 finger ecru head and smells very much like a lager - clean and grainy with toasted malts, faint caramel and chocolate notes, and a touch of paper. The flavor is similar, but a little more bland and it has a light, semi-dry body that leaves a short finish. Not a bad beer, it's just not a good one.

mmmbeer, Jul 25, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from the bottle into a glass. In all honesty, was recommended by a friend.

A - I have to sell out and give this beer a 5.0 just for the expert marketing involving this amazing bottle... even if it IS made in Utica, NY. It catches your eye as a novelty across the store. It pours with a decently-sized off-white head, going from golden to bourbon to dark brown colored. Minimal lacing.

S - Oddly scented with a hint of hops, dark fruits and adjuncts. It's what you get in a cheap black and tan, I guess.

T - A bit of a roasted malt hint, the slightest bit of caramel, some hoppy bitterness, a lot of water. Nothing too memorable.

M - Barely oily, sorta like an ice'd tea.

D - So long as you don't mind the mediocre flavor, you could have all these you want.

I have to admit that this beer would be nothing without the unique bottle... however I must give them credit for this, as I still have an empty Mississippi Mud bottle sitting atop my fridge, just for the fun....

Lancer211, Jul 25, 2006
3.35/5  rDev +7.7%

A very unique 2 pint bottle holds this Black and Tan beer. Most people buy this beer from it's bottle, however I had a friend that recommended it.

Out of the bottle, it has a dark brown appearance, ruby when you present it to light. It has a creamy light brown head that has good retention. It has a suprisingly faint aroma for a darker beer.

Upon tasting this beer you can taste hints of dark malt, but not as much as other dark beers, especially porters. The flavor is a little dissapointing. Along with the watery mouthfeel, it's almost like this beer was watered down.

It's drinkability is fine. Most people can probably enjoy this beer, especially if they are into darker beers.

BeerSox, Jul 23, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -5.8%

Really the only thing that led to me to get this beer was the unique bottling. I just thought it looked cool the way it was shaped like an old jug. Onto the beer though, it poured out a nice dark color with a little bit of a cream colored foam. The smell was okay, nothing too overbearing or impressive though. I personally thought the taste was pretty good. Or maybe not so much that it was good but that there wasn't something noticeable that I disliked. It started sort of sweet and finished with a little of the ale hoppiness one would expect only neither sensation was that strong, which is fine I guess. Mouthfeel was about average, there really isn't anything out of the ordinary to report there. Overall drinkability, in my opinion is actually fairly high for me, mainly because I feel like its something I could drink a lot of and not really tire of for some odd reason.

mherring, Jul 20, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -1%

I had one bottle of this a few years back and didn't see a reason to get another, but a friend of mine was talking recently how its one of his favorite beers, so I thought I'd give it another try...

Pours out a clean black-brown (tinted ruby when held to light), with modest head of tan froth. Grainy malt aroma, some faint notes of chocolate. Flavor is very bland. Malty, but dark malt flavors are scarce. No particular hop bitterness. Clean, forgetable finish. No flaws, but nothing good to mention either. Thin, watery mouthfeel.

My friend is nuts.

allengarvin, Jul 13, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I was given this beer at an x-mas party. Needless the say, while I drank it I was not that impressed but had to put up a good face and drink it so as not to embarass the giver. There is a dark colour, I tasted some roastiness. Sourish finish. The packaging is unique and attracted curiousity. Despite that, with the name mud, noone wanted to share it out.

Sammy, Jul 09, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +23.8%

Bottle is a 2 pint big mofo , with a gator in a swampy scene. The beer poured a clear , darker brown / auburn , with a creamy , small off white head. Aroma is of slight caramel and other sweet and slightly roasty malt smells. Taste is lightly malty and roasty , with some bitterness and tinge of astringency in the finish. This brew is simple and smooth. It goes down real nice and easy. Mouthfeel is a little light. Quite drinkable and tasty bottled black and tan. Worth a try imo.

Byeast, Jun 17, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

1 quart brown bottle with a finger handle and a large-mouth with twist-off cap pours a rootbeer-red and a very small head. Head runs away quickly, leaving only spots of lacing, or shall it be called...spotting?

Very mild earthy, woody malt nose and some green leafy hop fragrance in the background, doesn't smell paticularly sweet at all.

Tastes about the same as it smells, with the addition of some musty...well it tastes plain musty as well. It tastes ok when it's cold, but the strange mustiness becomes more pronounced as the beer warms a bit.

Not much body or alcohol for that matter, the mouthfeel is best described as watery. Yep, pretty watery stuff in my opinion.

The way I see and taste this stuff is pretty much a novelty, as opposed to an actual "Black & Tan".

scottoale, May 30, 2006
2.23/5  rDev -28.3%

When the sun goes down, the tide goes out,
The people gather 'round and they all begin to shout,
"Hey! Hey! Uncle Dud,
It's a treat to beat your feet on the Mississippi Mud,
It's a treat to beat your feet on the Mississippi Mud"

--James Cavanaugh and Harry Barris

I've seen these 'crocks' of Mississippi Mud in stores for years, but was never intrigued enough to buy one. When I spotted this smaller, less expensive version I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm a little disappointed that it's a black & tan though. Shouldn't a beer called Mississippi Mud be a thick, black, high-ABV American double stout?

Flawless dark orange-darkest bronze when backlit with morning sun. Unfortunately, it looks nothing at all like Mississippi mud. The toasted ecru head was large initially, but fell without fanfare to a simple, covering film and left the glass completely devoid of lace.

MM is a bit of an oddity in the sense that it isn't a combination of a stout and a pale ale, but a combination of a porter and a pilsener. It smells like neither, but rather like a weakly aromatic dark lager. There isn't much to go on, though I do pick up some faint cocoa notes. So far... not impressed.

After drinking, I'm still not impressed. Could this beer be any more wimpy, both in terms of flavor and mouthfeel? It tastes like a poor-quality dark lager that has been cut with water. What flavor is present tastes artificial, like dark caramel extract was added. A lousy porter (I'm guessing) and a lousy pilsener (I'm guessing), when mixed, can only result in a lousy (I know for a fact) black & tan.

There's nothing at all here that resembles good beer. I can't get over the fact that it tastes artificially-flavored. It doesn't help that there's a metallic, almost chemical aspect to the finish (maybe the brewers add a splash of Mississippi River water for authenticity). It's a little sour as well, which doesn't help. Even this small 'crock' will be a chore to get through. I have no idea about the ABV, but it doesn't drink very high at all. About 5.0%, I'd say.

The mouthfeel is as un-mud-like as possible. This is the lightest, thinnest version of the style that I've had (all three of them) and has no mouthfillingness whatsoever. The carbonation is finely bubbled and hangs on until the end, but it can't possibly save the mouthfeel from its pathetic self.

I had a feeling that I wasn't missing much each time I thought about grabbing a Mississippi Mud and didn't. It's a forgettable beer that continues to be brewed and sold only because of the novelty and distinctiveness of its packaging. I wish now that I'd been content to remain curious.

BuckeyeNation, May 14, 2006
3.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a nice thick color. Was very odd, looking from the side it was black looking from the top it was tan. It tripped me out. Anyways, I had to give a 2 for appearance because it would not foam at all. I even tried to pour it bad so that it would foam, and it just wouldn't. It tastes good, but it needs more carbonation. I understand there is an ale mixed with a german pilsner I believe, but I think it could use more carbonation. This beer goes down really easy and has a good inital bit where you can taste the ale, but doesn't have the horrible lingering aftertaste of an ale.
There was no born on date, it did taste like it was made correctly, just they need to carbonate it a littl ebit more for a better mouthfeel and apperance.
gets a 0 for foam and a 4 for fullness, averaged to a 2.

jasonjlewis, May 06, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +19.9%

I picked this beer up after looking at it for awhile at my local liquor store. Found the jug quite unique and there for I had to buy it. So later on I cracked it open and I was first not impressed by the taste but later on it started to grow on me. It then became very easy to down almost like water. All in all it is a very nice and smooth tasting beer. I recommend it to anyone who wants a little something different.

ozzyfan97, May 03, 2006
2.28/5  rDev -26.7%

Bottle: Poured a dark amber color ale with a huge slightly of-white foamy head with good retention. Aroma of weak sweet malt with a very subtle touch of bitter hops. Taste is sweet with a weak malt presence and not much hops. Watery body and overall a very uninteresting beer.

Phyl21ca, Apr 19, 2006
1.78/5  rDev -42.8%

Poured a dark copper color with about 2 inches of head that disappeared quickly.

Smell is a rather non descript slight malt.

Taste is very light with just a touch of detectable toasted malts.

Mouthfeel is very thin and watery.

A boring beer in a fancy package I would never seek out.

bashiba, Apr 16, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -22.2%

Picked up a 4 pack of cool jug bottles.

Pours a clear chestnut brown with a frothy head that quickly dissipates to nothing.

Smell is sweet caramel maltiness with a touch of nuttiness.

Taste is rather thin and sweet. Dark malt with hints of chocolate and nut. Afetertast has a metalic flavor that is distracting.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side.

Bottle is very cool. As for the beer, there isn't anything extraordinary here. Flavors are thin and watery. That said the beer is about what you would expect in a prepaged black and tan. This isn't terrible, but with all the good beer I could be drinking I'll use the other three bottles to boil my brats.

Blakaeris, Apr 14, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -44.4%

So somebody dipped a wet, rotting piece of wood into a pot of molasses, liquified it, and stuck it in a cool looking glass. That's what you'll taste. It's sweet in a bad way. This is like hard candy gone wrong.

I think these NY state brewers didn't want to be associated with this brew, so they called it "Mississippi Mud" to distance themselves. Blame it on the dirty south.

I though the brew would be a cloudy deep brown color based on its name, but it's a medium brown and a little thin. The smell is strong and off-putting.

GnomeKing, Apr 12, 2006
1.48/5  rDev -52.4%

From the 1 quart jug

Normally, I wouldn't buy something like this, but the bottle caught my eye, and then the interesting name. I picked up the jug from the bottom shelf thinking "what the hell is this shit?" and was about to put it back. Then I saw the price tag, and figured what the hell, and I put it in the cart. What can I say, I'm a sucker for good marketing. Here goes...

A: pours a reddish copper hue with a small foamy head.

S: Vague aromas of malt and hops. That sounds stupid, but that's about as descriptive as I can be.

T: What taste? There's a very slight oxidized taste, but not much of anything. Seriously, was the malt substituted with food coloring?

M: Watery and thin with an abrasive carbonated texture.

D: Was this worth what I paid for it? Sure. I've at least got a story. But in the future, it won't be worth any more than the price of a bottle of club soda, because that's basically what this is.

klewis, Apr 07, 2006
Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.