Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001)
1.7/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

[Appearance]: Bronze color, clear, lots of bubbles, soapy head that disappear really quick, lacing is alright.
[Smell]: Aroma is weak, faint caramel malts and maybe some little spice from the hops.
[Taste]: The flavor is pretty bland, it's almost like drinking a watered down ESB/Bitter, I could detect some hint of roasted/caramel malts and metalic.
[Mouthfeel/Finish]: Light bodied, carbonation is fair, has a weird sharp aftertaste.
[Drinkability]: Couldn't drink anymore, it's watery and has a weird aftertaste.

mjurney, Oct 19, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -44.4%

So somebody dipped a wet, rotting piece of wood into a pot of molasses, liquified it, and stuck it in a cool looking glass. That's what you'll taste. It's sweet in a bad way. This is like hard candy gone wrong.

I think these NY state brewers didn't want to be associated with this brew, so they called it "Mississippi Mud" to distance themselves. Blame it on the dirty south.

I though the brew would be a cloudy deep brown color based on its name, but it's a medium brown and a little thin. The smell is strong and off-putting.

GnomeKing, Apr 12, 2006

DeepSouthSipper, May 21, 2014

Zachior, May 06, 2014

Trevormcraig, Dec 23, 2012
1.78/5  rDev -42.8%

Poured a dark copper color with about 2 inches of head that disappeared quickly.

Smell is a rather non descript slight malt.

Taste is very light with just a touch of detectable toasted malts.

Mouthfeel is very thin and watery.

A boring beer in a fancy package I would never seek out.

bashiba, Apr 16, 2006
1.8/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I wanted to like this, I really did, but...

Pours a dark brown with a decent tan head which dissipates to a thin layer. This beer's look is the most positive thing I have to say about it. The smell is rather malty... okay, the smell is all malts. This beer tastes like someone took a semi-decent porter and mixed it half and half with sparkling water. Really, the smell indicates it is going to be a thick full beer, instead you get stingy thin swill. Mostly malts, but not a clean taste (I guess that should have been obvious by the name). Again, I really wanted to like this beer. Feels thin and bubbly in the mouth, not pleasant in my opinion, and I rate the drinkability at 1.5 because I can't imagine wanting another drop after I finish the 32 oz that I have. Try it if you must, avoid it if you can.

uabigdaz, Aug 22, 2007
1.8/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The bottle was kind of cool, in a hickish way, so I decided to give it a try. The appearance was medium brown in color, much lighter than I thought it would be. There was a moderate head and good lacing. The body of this beer seems to be missing though. Tastes like a bad homebrew to me. Too sweet and thin up front with no bakbone. Hops are little noticed if at all. Maybe some earthy flavors arise but this is not a good beer. I'm not wasting my time with this stuff ever again.

granger10, Mar 13, 2004
1.83/5  rDev -41.2%

Well the outcome of this venture certainly didn't surprise me at all. I was fairly certain that this was going to be very un-impressive. Well, it was. Appearance was not too bad. Dark reddish brown color with an eggshell white head that vanished in about 6 seconds. More carbonation that I would have expected. Smell? Sweet and malty. Quite sweet, in fact. I was not impressed. Taste? Get a glass and fill it halfway with tap water and the rest of the way with club soda, then toss in two shots of Guinness and dissolve two teaspoons of sugar in it. There you go, you just made your own "Mississippi Mud". There were trace amounts of malt roaming about, but nothing note worthy, for sure. Mouthfeel was ultra thin and I cannot imagine ever drinking this foul liquid again, much less spending money for it. Not "absolutely terrible", but you can see "absolutely terrible" from where this is standing.
Blessed Be
-SS

SilentSabre, Apr 02, 2006
1.85/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a color that as nothing to do with Mississippi Mud. I live near the Mississippi. This stuff has the appearance of flat Coke. Smells vaguely like a porter, pretty weak. A little hint of chocolate and malt. Tastes like soda water. Tastes of chemicals and fizzy carbonation. Not much of a beer. Not worth buying.

TastyTaste, Mar 04, 2004
1.9/5  rDev -38.9%

More beer should come in mock clay jug form.

Looks alright: a large tan head over a medium brown/ruby liquid. Gets bonus points for sweet packaging.

Smells like brown sugar and a sweaty handful of coins.

My traditional view of black and tan is Bass (English pale ale) with Guiness (Irish dry stout). Mississippi Mud elects to to combine a continental pilsner with an English porter. The result is an overcarbonated pilsner beating down a wimpy, subpar porter. Tastes like sour cola.

donkeyrunner, Dec 20, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -37.9%

Appearance: Mahogany with ruby highlights and a clear body, this beer doesn't really look much like mud. Pours a pleasant off-white creamy head that slowly settles into a creamy skin and then mild lacing.

Aroma: Medium malt with some of the coffee and chocolate notes you'd expect from something that's half Porter combined with hints of sweet, slightly hoppy lager - not much more here.

Taste: Watered down medium roasted malt body with a bit of dark fruit and the tang of cheap hops. It finishes with hints of weird metallic tones (think Shiner Bock). This doesn't resemble the real deal at all, it's closer to a shitty, watery macro attempt at a Stout, Porter or Dark Lager.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is certainly nowhere near mud - fizzy, thin and watery.

Drinkability: Easy enough to drink I suppose, but really, what's the point? I don't even really want to drink the rest of this glass, let alone the two 32 ouncers in the fridge.

Verdict: Watery and thin, with the lackluster taste to match, the brewery has some stones to call this "Mississippi Mud," it's closer to St. Louis runoff. I'm assuming that the "Continental Lager" mentioned on the bottle is clever code for a typical American macro-lager. And it certainly does taste like a middle-of-the-road, bland, Porter mixed with swill and given a fancy name. While I certainly did not expect this to be as good as a real B&T, I had at least hoped it would be a somewhat decent analog. But alas, this beer lets down it's awesome bottle, name and premise. All marketing, no beer.

BeanBone, Sep 28, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -37.9%

The mini-growler packaging begged me to buy it.

I expected something similar to a Yuengling Black and Tan, but this was worse.

Pours lighter that expected, much less black than tan. A little bit of head, not much.

Smell was iffy, not too bad, but reminiscent of macro lager.

Taste was okay, a little malty but reminiscent of artificial sweetener from start to finish. Finishes far too sweet, not clean at all.

Mouthfeel was a bit watery. Once again the finish is far too messy.

Too sweet for me to drink, I finished the pint I poured and dumped the rest.

Overall I'll admit I just wanted the bottle to put some homebrew in.

jmichaeldesign, Jun 11, 2007

VDODSON, Mar 04, 2013

Segelstrom, Mar 21, 2013

Modernrickk, Nov 26, 2013

twizzbeatz, Mar 10, 2012

Nachos4two, Jun 05, 2013

This beer looked good...
Dark black with alot of foamy lite tan head...
Aroma...hmmm...how to describe it...dank...smelled like old beer on a fraternity floor for 7 days in the sun...
Taste...well thank god the aroma is not what it tasted like...the taste was very watery...a hint of coffee flavor and an end bitterness..but extremely light...more pure watery flavor
Mouthfeel...watery...see taste...
If I want a beer to simply look at..maybe I'd get this...If I wanted a beer to drink...I would never buy this again

stegmakk, Jul 16, 2003

Kahlerbock, Feb 15, 2012

Zombiepaper, Mar 21, 2012

The most boring beer ever. There is no porter in this, maybe a weak pilsener was used to wash out a weak brown ale, but there are no interesting flavors, it is the blandest beer I have ever drank, I think the Heinz corporation had something to do with this.

cheapxceptbeer, May 27, 2009

Jeffreytmoore, Dec 07, 2012

Rollzroyce21, Nov 26, 2011

paulys55, Nov 20, 2011
Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.