Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 421 | Hads: 1,064
2.38/5  rDev -22.5%

This is a beautiful beer. Brilliantly clear, deep ruby in color with a rich brown tint. Glowing. It has a tall, frothy, cream-colored head that lasts and sticks to the sides of the glass.

Smells of rich pilsner malt balanced with floral, slightly resinous hops. Subtle hints of caramels and toffee underneath.

This is where the beer falls flat on its face. Upfront there is dusty malt and minimal hop bitterness. The flavor disappears in the middle, only to come back as metallic mineral water that lasts into the aftertaste. Really nothing pleasant about it. Tastes like carbonated mineral water with a touch of stale beer added for flavoring. I had to check the previous reviews before posting this to make sure I hadn't gotten a bad bottle. Looks like a lot of other people had a similar experience.

The mouthfeel is light, the carbonation is moderate, and the finish is watery.

I was very disappointed with this beer. The cool bottle and name got me excited, and then the appearance and aroma took me to a new level of anticipation. Upon the first sip, I was convinced that the beer had gone bad. I thought to myself, "Can oxidation really destroy a beer this severely?" I checked the reviews on this site, and sure enough, my bottle was not spoiled. Or maybe everyone got spoiled bottles. In any case, if you buy this beer, it will most likely taste like mine did. I live by the philosophy "Try everything at least once," and I have to say this beer makes me question that advice.

2.41/5  rDev -21.5%

Don't really understand this beer, seeing that a black & tan is normally 2 beers. Yes, I know the traditional porter is 2 beers that are blended, but still. Pours darm brown with a thin tan head. Cocoa and metal aroma. Thin mouthfeel, not really smoky or nutty or chocolate. Kind of a blend of all three.

2.41/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured from a cool jug with rustic artwork. Almost like a growler, yet close to a 40 too.

Pours a very dark amber in color, a large head dies down to nothing. Not much of an aroma, just some malty notes. This beer falls a bit flat in the taste in my opinion. Grain, corn, a hint of porter influences and an off flavor reminiscent of adjuncts gone a bit stale. Theres also something alittle more unnerving, a wretched taste that I've never encountered in a beer before. The beer is interesting enough aesthetically and worth the buy for the cool "bottle" alone. The beer inside is just an odd mixture of pilsener, porter and astringency. Next time I'll pass.

2.42/5  rDev -21.2%

A: Clear Dark Mahogany with a Soapy like Frothy Tan Head. Strong Lacing.

S: Roasted and Chocolate Malts. Citrus Hop Aroma. fruity esters.

T: First though it literally cardboard. The pilsner they used must have been a cheap BMC pilsner because their isn't much flavor on that end. this is like a watered down porter with a tad more hops.

Mf: Light and dry with moderate carbonation.

D: Light and non filling for being half porter. But not the most tasty beer combination. Not a huge fan.

2.43/5  rDev -20.8%

Picked up a 4 pack of cool jug bottles.

Pours a clear chestnut brown with a frothy head that quickly dissipates to nothing.

Smell is sweet caramel maltiness with a touch of nuttiness.

Taste is rather thin and sweet. Dark malt with hints of chocolate and nut. Afetertast has a metalic flavor that is distracting.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side.

Bottle is very cool. As for the beer, there isn't anything extraordinary here. Flavors are thin and watery. That said the beer is about what you would expect in a prepaged black and tan. This isn't terrible, but with all the good beer I could be drinking I'll use the other three bottles to boil my brats.

2.45/5  rDev -20.2%

The first thing about this beer is the cool bottle, it's the reason I purchased it. I looks like an old pottery jug. The pour was a lighter copper-red tone. Came out with a good half inch head that quickly dissapated to a thin lace that stuck to the glass throughout the drink. The smell was a very light mix of floral and malt. The taste started very watery, dare I say almost macro watery, and continued that way until a light hop and malt kick at the finish. A very clean drinking beer that would make a great lawnmower beer, but that's the best I can say for it.

2.46/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear dark brown with a massive cream-colored head that slowly shrinks to a lumpy layer. The smell is faint but consists of light malts with grassy notes and hints of alcohol. The taste is a tad of chocolate, malt, light hops, and a touch of sweetness. This is an extremely light bodied brew for what it's supposed to be. Definitely not great and a few notches below good. Cheers anyways!

2.48/5  rDev -19.2%

Black and Tan? The color was a medium amber with an orange hue. When poured, it had some foam a bit of lace after drinking this black and tan lager?

After poping the screw cap lid, the smell was of weak hops and something else, that I can't put my finger on. The taste had a very weak flavor. Kind of a weak hoppy taste with a hint of whatever. This is a good summer quinch that can be gulp down in a hurry! Please, no more Mississippi Mud "Black & Tan", for me!

2.48/5  rDev -19.2%

Got this for my birthday from my well-intentioned mom. I laughed a little upon opening the box and seeing this Appalachian styled jug with the 40oz screw top. High marks for ironic packaging, even if unintentional. I don't know where this beer originated, but I see it's brewed in Utica NY, the home of F.X. Matt and Genesee beer.
Pours a clear dark brown, with a thin ring of beige head. The foam dies out after half a glass or so.
Smells mainly of molasses. Roasty malts without much in the way of hops. Not a lot of complexity here.
The taste opens with roasty, chocolate malt. Mainly molasses, which permeates throughout and is definitely the dominate flavor. It's fairly clean, with an undertone of diacetyl, but there's not a whole lot going on here. I was hoping for maybe a soapy Saaz aftertaste, but it was not to be. Overall, it's not that hard to drink this, but it's better served as a beer forconversationStrong carbonation and a lighter body makes for a soda-like feel. I guess this would be a good training wheel for someone interested in real beer after a twenty-somethings worth of Genny Ice.
Porter and pilsner? It's neither this or that. Lacking on both fronts, but it wasn't completely awful. It's not as completely terrible as I remember from my college days. Tastes mostly similar to dunkel lager, or maybe a brown ale like Newcastle. I'd rather do this than Bud, or any kind of Genesee beer. This is really so much about the novelty of the packaging. I can't imagine any other reason someone would buy this.

2.48/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - 3.75/5
Dark red-brown, clear, but dark in color, so only a moderate amount of light passes through. Two fingers of very foamy looking light-medium beige head.

Smell - 2.5/5
A kind of strange (not in a good way) smelling lager. Also some good fresher lager smell in a different whiff.

Taste - 2/5
The thoughts that went through my mind the first sip "Guinness...now lager...now gross medicine...now weird flavor mish-mash of all the above." I repeated a second sip and it was the same. Basically, the worst part is the middle of the sip. The beginning is the best and the end is somewhere between meh and gross.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium bodied, carbonation is slightly more intense than average. Quite crisp.

Overall - 2.5/5
This was not a good beer at all. I only bought it because it came in this cool 32oz bottle and I had never seen this beer before and it was $3.99. I wasn't really expecting much from it, so I can't say I'm disappointed. But I can't recommend it either.

2.49/5  rDev -18.9%

Sometimes we get suckered in by packaging alone, and this is what happened with me and Mississippi Mud. Damn you, Mississippi Mud...

Truly black and tan...not in the way of the split-level version of the style, poured in bars everywhere, but just that the liquid is dark enough to be called black, and the head is tan, although a lighter shade of it. Shrinks to a crown slowly but surely...

Not much smell to speak of...in fact rather unimpressive in this department. Lightly roast, fairly coffee-ish. But like spent grounds from cheap coffee and not freshly roasted primo whole bean.

Just about the same with the taste. Smoke and roast, on the cheap side somehow (I guess that translates in beer world to "cutting corners with ingredient quality"). A smidgen of dark fruit (plum, grape, fig) and a little bit of brown sugar. While that all makes it sound like it could be a Belgian strong dark, it ain't. What really ruins it is a weird rough metallic/chemical bitterness. And because that's what hangs around longest and into the finish, it brings the enjoyability factor down quite a ways.

Can't say much about this texturally other than "it's not bad." Slick, slippery, carbonated. Probably not as much presence as better b&t's, but oh well.

Sucked in by packaging. Shouldn't this be a huge-ass gooey stout or something? Considering the name and everything. I don't mind a good black & tan once in a while, but this isn't one I'd return to again...I won't be finishing the rest of this novelty quart bottle/jug.

2.49/5  rDev -18.9%

Presentation: Cool 32oz brown jug with screw cap...freshness date marked...cool if kind of gimmicky packaging

Appearance: Brilliant dark walnut beer with decent carbonation and a light tan fluffy cap with decent retention

Smell: Lots of adjuncty sweetness...touch of vanilla...not much going on here

Taste: Odd, sweet, fruity, sorta metallic...a touch of wet cardboard on the finish, maybe oxidized a bit?

Mouthfeel: Light/medium bodied

Drinkability: Middling at best

Conclusion: Meh...

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Just can't replace the proper black & tan appearance out of a bottle (not without one of those didgerydoos). Dark tan colored, big head that disappears rather quickly. Aroma was like the appearance, ruddy and muddy.

Taste, semi-sweet, kind of thin bodied, no discernable hop presence. Really just kind of dark in color without submitting any real malt flavor component to the palate. Kind of reminiscient of a better looking Newcastle brown ale. This is lots more tan than black.

2.51/5  rDev -18.2%

I'll come right out and admit it. I bought this for the bottle. What a cool bottle. Sometimes, I feel bad about not being able to give points for the bottle.

As far as the beer itself, there's a pretty massive head on this one. Impressive, and it sticks around. Taste is a little strange though. A tad of astringency to the lager. I really expected something a little bit thicker out of something that describes itself as "mud."

Bit of a letdown, really. Good thing the bottle's really cool though.

2.51/5  rDev -18.2%

What am I doing with this one after all these years. I actually stumbled upon this the other day and had to grab it just for old times. Big jug was served cold and poured into a pint glass.

The pour was decent, light thin brown in color with a minimal off white head emerging. Small retention left behinf little in the way of side lacing and a small amount of carbonation coming up.

The aroma was light, roasted malt maybe hidden way underneath the light grain and basic dull macro smell. Not much complexity here and just way too light overall. Same for the flavor, Nothing overwhelming me with a light cereal grain and a small caramel sweetness, way too carbonated with a thin feel, it was drinkable, but forgettable.

Overall I think my memories are fonder then what this really was, Not at all as good as I remember, but ehh, was worth it for the memories.

2.51/5  rDev -18.2%

I am drinkin a bottle that my fiancee's mom bought me. Gotta love having friends and family that know you like beer. She gave me a 6er of various brews before New Year's
Onto the beer.

I am drinking at room temp in a tulip glass because I can.
The beer pours a clear chestnut color with a soft fluffy off white head foaming up easily. Several streams of carbonation rise from the bottom of the glass. Head fades gradually to a puffy surface layer leaving some stringy latticework on the sides.
Aroma is grainy malt with a bit of huskiness and some toffee and general toffee sweetness. Also a bit of peppery bitterness that I cant place. Overall not the best smells to come from a beer IMO.
First sip reveals a lite body with average carbonation. The flavor has some anice qualities to it mixing with a bit of chocolate and the same grainy malt from the nose. OVerall a bit less pleasant than expected. Cant be sure but could be the anice as I dont like black licorice. Well the beer is not outstanding for sure and is not even very good, but it has flavor and I like it more than most BMC brews. the bottle is cool unfortunately the beer leaves a little to be desired.

2.51/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured into an English pint glass at about 40 degrees.

Appearance: a rich dark copper hue with a one finger head. The head is foamy and bubbly. There is a lot of carbonation in the glass. The clarity of the beer is clear. The head dissipated to a quarter inch ring.

Nose: There is a funky aroma I cant distinguish I think it is wort. You can smell roasted malt, hops, corn, caramel, and what seems like leathery earth.

Taste: A roast malt, citrus, caramel, and sweet corn.

Overall. The mouth feel is carbonated. and the finish is nil. The beer is watery got funky flavors going on in the beer. I don't even think this is a black and tan, or a poor excuse. I think I will pawn this off to one of my buddies.

2.52/5  rDev -17.9%

Most of the taste of this beer is lager, with the exception of the very end which lingers like a stout. It pours a translucenent brown color with an interesting lace pattern. The smell is overwhelingly of cheap mid-grade malt, which is I guess what you'd expect. A very unimpressive beer.

2.53/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: Poured from a 32 oz faux ceramic jug into a pint glass.

Appearance; Pours with a massive head, 3/4 of the glass upon first pour. This settles slowly, leaving behind a fair amount not so sticky lacing. The beer itself is reddish brown and light, not at all mud like.

Smell: Very little smell, some metallic hints and sweetness.

Taste: Once again, a metallic undertone to the entire experience. Watered down, slightly sweet malt. Little to no hops.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation and body. maybe a little thin.

Drinkability: Not at all like a mix of stout and lager. Not at all like mud. Not a drain pour, but overall a rather bland experience. This seems to be a beer that relies on gimmicks to sell and falls well short on the quality aspect.

2.54/5  rDev -17.3%

Looked promising enough, except that the only thing Mississippi about it is the name. Utica NY? Pours a nice foamy head then quickly dies to thin thin lace. Aroma is malty and chocolate. Taste is roasted malts some sweetness. Some weird aftertaste that's not pleasant. Not recommended.

2.54/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured into a Beer Stein. Bought this mainly because of the boomshine bottle.

Appearance - Dark Brown with a surprisingly filtered look to it. Not too much going on in terms of carbonation. Head starts out pretty foamy at around a 3 finger width, but the head quickly disappears. Leaves behind some sparse lacing

Smell - Chocolate, Caramel and some grassy notes, which is probably the Pilsner part of the scent. I can smell some mildly burnt malts in here as well.

Taste - Burnt Malts with some grassy and milk chocolate notes, but none of flavors really jump out at you nor are any of them particularly noticeable and they're all very weak.

Mouthfeel - It's light and creamy on the palette and the carbonation is pretty well regulated, which is the best I can say about this beer.

Overall - Don't get me wrong it's by no means offensive in any way, but the flavor is just not there! You'd think that with 2 distinct styles put together that it would create a unique flavor, but instead it just comes off as a boring beer. It's easy to drink, but that's pretty much the only good quality that stands out.

2.54/5  rDev -17.3%

I was so excited to see this given to me from a friend. The cool bottle instantly got me very eager to try this beer..and then I poured it...
This is a dark beer. When pouring into a pint glass, it came to a 1 or so finger white head, with slight lacing.

The nose wasn't anything special...soft malty tones.

The palate was odd. Started with a hint of hops, and quickly turned into the malty taste, with a slight sour taste at the end. Wasn't too pleasing.

Overall, the bottle was better. All hype with nothing to write home about.

2.55/5  rDev -16.9%

Of the black and tans I've had this one left a bad taste in my mouth. Bought a case of it and had a hard time finishing it. Apperence was nice in the bottle and went down hill from there. As a dark beer, black and tan drinker I find this less apealing than most. Not awful though!!

2.55/5  rDev -16.9%

This beer poured a nice dark brown to black with a firm deep tan head. There were no off smells. Nothing spectacular but okay. The taste was sour almost a vinegar. The mouthfeel must have been okay because it made no impression on me. This looks likd a novelty beer that has not worn well.

2.56/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass. Based on the shitty reputation and the cool bottle, I had to give this one a go.

3.5 A: Clear amber color. A bit over two fingers of beige, frothy head. Retention is decent and a small ring of lacing is left.

2.5 S: This smells like an unimpressive porter. Weak, dry roastiness. Somewhat grainy.

2.5 T: Again, this tastes just like a really weak porter. Dry roastiness and grain. Otherwise, this lacks depth, maltiness, and body.

2.5 M: Light body. A bit too watery for my liking. Carbonation is alright, but perhaps a bit high. Smooth and inoffensive.

2.5 D: This reminds me of a typical Saranac brew. Decent appearance and watered down everywhere else. I can say that this is probably a fabulous gateway beer though. The packaging and mild flavors are sure to please.

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.