Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 418 | Hads: 1,037
2.69/5  rDev -12.4%

I picked this beer up mostly because of the interesting looking bottle and because I have never had a black & tan bottle before. Pours a clear amber with a thin brownish head that disappeared rather quickly. The smell was actually pretty good with plenty of malt and a bit of caramel sweetness.

Unfortunately the smell is probably the best part of this beer. The beer is basically very tasteless and has just a bit of malty aftertaste. Mouthfeel is also pretty boring with a very small amount of carbonation.

Not really a bad beer, but if I am going to drink a beer I will definitely not choose this one. (610 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -12.7%

If you could rate the bottle, it would get a 5 because it is sweet!

A: like you would expect, dark brown

S: almost nutty with a coffee like scent

T: pretty close to how it smells, roasted nutty and coffee

M: Slight carbonation with a tinny taste after... a creamy-ish feel

D: having tried a few different black and tans, I have officially decided, it is not my thing. Worth a try though and definitely worth it to have the bottle (434 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I wanted to like this, I really did, but...

Pours a dark brown with a decent tan head which dissipates to a thin layer. This beer's look is the most positive thing I have to say about it. The smell is rather malty... okay, the smell is all malts. This beer tastes like someone took a semi-decent porter and mixed it half and half with sparkling water. Really, the smell indicates it is going to be a thick full beer, instead you get stingy thin swill. Mostly malts, but not a clean taste (I guess that should have been obvious by the name). Again, I really wanted to like this beer. Feels thin and bubbly in the mouth, not pleasant in my opinion, and I rate the drinkability at 1.5 because I can't imagine wanting another drop after I finish the 32 oz that I have. Try it if you must, avoid it if you can. (808 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +33.6%

From a 32oz jug into a glass mug. First time tasting this beer.

A- Dark brown ruby color. Brownish 1.5 finger creamy head, but fizzles to a 1/4 finger head. Lots of bubbles streaming up. Leaves a bit of lacing. Looks quite nice.

S- Roasted malts, raisins, a tinge of hops, dark coffee. Inviting.

T- Roasted malts up front, grassy hops, dark chocolate. It's bitter but has a very slight sweet note. Tastes like a brown ale, sort of like Newcastle. Leaves a bittersweet aftertaste.

M- Medium/light. The carbonation is light and not in your face. Very nice.

Drinkability- This is more of a "savor the taste" sort of beer. Not meant to be chugged. But it still has great drinkability.

O- Overall, this beer is pretty good. I kept eyeing it at the store for years and finally bought it today. It's enjoyable to drink it at night. (831 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -16.9%

Of the black and tans I've had this one left a bad taste in my mouth. Bought a case of it and had a hard time finishing it. Apperence was nice in the bottle and went down hill from there. As a dark beer, black and tan drinker I find this less apealing than most. Not awful though!! (281 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer smells awful! It reminded me of the so-called "macro swill" that everyone drinks. Luckily it tasted better than it smelled, but it still doesn't taste great. I taste some hops towards the end of this one, but I can't place most of the other tastes. Overall, it reminds me more of the "tan" than the "black" in black and tan. I need to learn to stick to actual black and tans instead of trying to simulate it with this type of mixture beer.

Admit it--you bought it for the bottle! I know I did. (506 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -0.3%

poured into a mug of mine a dark red/brown color with 2 fingers of tan froth.

smells like coffee grinds, hints of chocolate. can't detect any hops.

pleasant coffee and chocolate taste, with a bit of metal and bitterness.

rich creamy and medium bodied.

Im workin my way through the quart easy enough, but 1 quart is enough.

overall pretty average, however the bottle is badass with a Alligator layin in some mud. cool (421 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a subtle dark brown with a very thick, two-finger, foamy head that dissipates to a one-finger head rather quickly. The smell is sweet, like cocoa and coffee, but it is not particularly intense, much like the semi-porter it purports to be. The taste is, however, where things get disappointing: a somewhat low-quality burnt coffee taste that is quite bitter (and not in a good, hoppy sort of way). Despite that, the texture is rather smooth and drinkable in some quantity, and the aftertaste actually becomes somewhat sweet and not abrasive.

FourthBeer potential: LOW. Not the worst beer in the world, but for a beer that claims to be a combination porter and pilsner, it doesn't seem to have the best characteristics of either. (734 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +29%

A little something different. My first and I had no idea what to expect.

Its more Pilsner'ish then Porter'ish but I dont think thats by accident. When i was in England I was never a fan of mixing beers like this. I guess its my love for each type of beer that figures, "why mix"? But I dont regret buying MM and no doubt will again.

A fast Pilsner pour into a clear somewhat tan color makes for a pretty brew to look at. I enjoyed the smell a lot. Im getting grains and a bit of coffee in a smooth pilsner malt. The area around the glass has a light stout'ish aroma if you concentrate hard enough. Mild lacing with a disappointing head. A tad to carbonated me'thinks.

Refreshing taste with a slight dry bite, but missing the sensual after taste of a Porter. I'd be happier if the brew was a tad Portier and a tad less Pilsner'ee. But have no doubt Im enjoying this brew. "Just raised it to a 4.00 overall because its refreshes so well". Thanks no doubt to its Pilsner heritage. Im thinking Brats with a good mustard with this creation. Like at the WI. State fair with the awsome corn on the cob to boot. I remember the draft PBR that accompanied that. Mud would do even better.

So it could be muddier, but as a Pilsner fanatic, I wont be moving it to the "B" rack in the fridge. I recommend the Mud. Enjoy. (1,310 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Has a decent look to it. Deep reddish brown. Very little head on this one with very little lacing on the glass. The smell is similar to a stout, very big nose of burnt chocolate. Taste is not quite what you'd expect from the smell but you can definitely tell it falls into the black and tan category. Picking up some of the burnt chocolate taste, other than that it's relatively bland and bitter. Mouthfeel is rather bubbly considering there isn't really a whole lot of carbonation evident. Drinkability is average. could make a night out of drinking this but I think I'd probably get tired of it and want something else. (650 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally trying this at age 32.

Not sure what the bottle is supposed to represent, shape and color, but it looks fun.

Smell out of the bottle is malt.

Color resembles a Bock - red amber, filtered, with a tinge of brown.

Smell out of glass is a burnt smell.

Taste is definitely malty, with a bitter, smokey aftertaste.

Sourness dominates the mouthfeel.

This beer isn't bad, but definitely not a favorite. (409 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +30.9%

I love the jug. The appearance is unique and sets it apart from other bottles.
Distinct coffee, chocolate flavors. Sharp bite at the end. The coffee hits first and last. The chocolate taste is there but not overpowering. Nice brown head that holds the glass reasonably well. I enjoyed this beer and will purchase it again. (323 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured out of the 946 ml stylized jug bottle (remember Georgia Moon, guaranteed less than 60 days old?) into a cheap plastic drinking glass. Thin head that went away quickly. The smell promises some sort of standard beer. The taste is of a standard lager with attempts to enhance with more hoppy and malty flavor, maybe like the good old days of dark beer on tap, say dark Brew 66 or dark Oly. Pleasant buzz after the first 10 ounces, but this being 5%, I'm sure it's the same pleasant buzz found after a Bud or Miller. Aftertaste is almost nonexistent, which is a better result than some of the other reviews I read here. I'd have to say it probably is worth the less than $4 paid, and certainly not disappointing. This is good stuff for watching your football or action movies. Get two jug bottles, one for the first half and one for the second half. (852 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +36.5%

I thought this stuff disappeared forever for a while, but I saw it regularly this summer which is a thrill. This is literally my favorite summer beer of all time. Why? because it comes in quarts, is easy as hell to drink, and doesn't look like beer, allowing for public consumption with minimal attention being drawn. Perfect for wiffle ball or disc tossing in the park. The screw on cap is so very key.

I've never in my life poured this in to a glass, and the packaging is opaque, so I couldn't tell you how it really looks. The branding is appealing, so I give it a good rating here.

Smell is the only place this beer suffers. Has an indistinguishably metallic scent. Odd and slightly off-putting, but any hesitations are put to rest after you take your first sip.

The beer is dark but light. The flavor is very satisfying as it crawls to the back of your mouth, covering your whole tongue with delicious flavor. The carbonation has an unexpected spring to it, which gives it its "light" character. A hugely refreshing thirst quencher, I could drink this stuff all day.

I understand the point of a black and tan is the whole layering thing, but I don't put this in the same ballpark as a real B&T. This is a drink so separate to that which you order in an Irish bar, that it confuses me to see it even called black and tan at all, regardless of the purported ingredients. As you can see from my rating, this distinction has no bearing on my love of this beer. It will forever have a place in my heart.

One more thing - This is a great "transition" beer when trying to get swill drinkers to enjoy some better brews. (1,622 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +29%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pour: pours a black brew with a tan head.

Smell: a light roasted smell

Look: comes in a cool looking bottle that would be good to fill up again.

Taste: roasted malts on the pallet and coffee on the after taste. With a mouthfell of a medium body brew.

Overall: this is a start up beer. Just a smooth easy drink that will be pleasing to the new beer drinker. (363 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +29.3%

Poured out of the one quart bottle.

A. A very dark brown but not truly "mississippii mud" black. A thin tan head and mild lacing.

S. A very strong malty smell at first,bthen an aroma of caramel, coffee and raosted almonds.

T. The Taste goes from malty and hoppy, to sweet and pleasantly syrupy. If you eat it whith a strong or bitter food it brings out a taste of brown sugar and caramel. I suggest a garlic Italian dish or a strong southern U.S. style of food.

M. A smooth and sticky feel that slides over and around the tongue. The flavor makes it feel pretty good, but it is a little strong.

Af. The aftertaste is malt, grains, caramel and almonds. Very nice.

This is a good brew for a wide variety of strong foods. It also comes in a cool looking bottle. If you don't mind a sweeter beer this one is nice to nurse over a meal. (837 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +20.8%

I used to get quart bottles of this from a gas station I worked at.

A- This is pretty dark, brown, and not clear.

S- This beer smells pretty good.

T- This beer tastes great and has kind of a chocolate flavoring to it.

M- mouthfeel is kind of creamy I guess.

D- I have no problem drinking a cold quart or two of this stuff. Too bad I cant find it out here. (360 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If this were any pricier, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. But for the price, you can certainly do worse.

This brew pours a nice amber color with a fast dissolving tan head. Less carbonated than some pilsners, more carbonated than some porters, this combo combines elements of both decently well. The body is thin, and the malty, grainy flavor that is present isn't terribly strong or offensive. There is a light darkness present in the malt, but not much. What is present is a bit of black tea, caramel, and wood. The finish is lightly bitter, slightly dry, and doesn't linger.

Not a bad buy for $3.50 a quart, but not something I'm itching to buy again. The bottle presentation is pretty neat though, and it would be nice to bring to a picnic. (762 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this I pint bottle from the Foodery in Philly -- read about it in Maxim like four years ago so I was excited about finding it.

It didnt have as much anything as I thought it would, probably because the cool packaging makes you think molasses or the "mud" makes you think of brownies.

Ok Im going to try to rate this one thinking Black and Tan.

As far as B&Ts go this one is more on the darker side. Chestnut color with little head, but some nice lacing.

The smell is very sweet off the bat with the faintest tinge of coffee. The taste is closer to an Oatmeal stout or Sweet stout with a sharper bite and more carbonation.

I feel like I could drink this one often, especially straight out of the bottle, very simple and refreshing/ (749 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -3.9%

I'm visiting Texas right now,and I stopped in to Whole Foods...and this bottle sort of jumped out.I decided to give it a try,not expecting much,and I was right.Already mixed Black & Tans seem to ruin the experience,and this was no exception.You can taste neither the Porter nor the Pilsner IMHO.It was not a bad beer by any means,but neither was it great,but at $2.99 for a Quart it was a decent buy.I would have it again,but I would not go out of my way to get it... (467 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A. Crystal clear ruby amber. Smell head leaving only a thin line of foam. Bottle is awesome.

S. Hints of roasted coffee, almost no smell.

T. Taste of metal. Almost no flavor. Hints of roasted coffee and a lot of nothing.

M. Light watery and unimpressive.

D. I could drink more then a few of these. Beer is not that good but the bottle will look great in the collection. (373 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +44%

A-It's got a nice dark tan texture to it. The description on the bottle says it all.

S-It's got a coffee like smell to it. It smells pretty good.

T- It tastes a tad like Bass with a hint of coffee to it. At least to me it had a coffee taste. It's got a nice even taste. It's not too strong and not too weak. It's a happy medium.

M-It feels good when swallowing. It leaves a mild aftertaste but it's a good aftertaste.

D-Well I drank the whole jug w/ no problem and enjoyed myself so that spoke for itself.

Overall, I recommend this beer. If you find it, it's worth having. It goes well when watching a movie too. (618 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +9.8%

Very nice for a pre-made black and tan. it is not going to overwhelm you and might be a good one to start out with if you are not accustomed to this style. I believe it is made as a porter/pilsner mix so they taste or mouthfeel is too much. try this and a guinness/bass will won't be a big leap for you. (303 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -5.2%

Mississippi Mud is a drinkable beer, not overly heavy in taste or mouth feel. That being said, the color was a nice brown with 3/4" of head. The smell is mediocre, really missing. The taste is slightly heavier than a pilsner, but nowhere near a porter. It's mouthfeel is a similar profile.

All in all, it was a worthwhile investment, but not likely something I'll pick up again. (379 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +4.9%

I got a 4-pack of this from a Bud-drinking friend of mine and by the fourth one I can say I like this beer. It doesn't have much scent and I prefer a thicker feeling beer, but it tastes good. (192 characters)

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.