American Beauty - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.00% ABV

An Imperial Pale Ale brewed with granola & All American hops. 55 IBU

Collaboration with the Grateful Dead.

(Beer added by: slvrmon82 on 10-09-2013)

Stein1274, Oct 19, 2013

hoop454, Aug 12, 2014

glmccready, Jan 26, 2014

Buttstallion, Aug 16, 2014

mpenning13, Mar 08, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +28.3%

Let me tell ya....
As a Deadhead...I was intent on being very critical of a beer named after my boys.
Having the granola thing added----added to my skepticism.

It surpased all my expectations by leaps and bounds.

The look was elegant, tho not quite what I'd expect.
Was a deep gold with a fantastic head. Thought it would be darker...but...no prob.
These yahoos on here saying amber-ish and dark-ish...are crazy.
They must be trippin'...heh.
The taste was 1st F'in rate!
One of the best beers, of its kind I have tasted.
Period!
It is a shame this is a limited edition but, day-em...I'm glad I got to experience it.

Dennycurr, Nov 09, 2013
4.8/5  rDev +25.7%

Chlsyhawkins, Aug 22, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

Bought a case when this dropped thanks to a cousin who lives close to the Dogfish head headquarters. I am not as sophisticated as so many others on this site who can review a beer with such detail and eloquence, but I will say this:

This beer is excellent, it is strong, but not too strong. It has a very pleasant aroma and despite its high alcohol content, it finishes very smooth. The granola, which was the ingredient voted in by deadheads, really adds a nice note to the end.

tmbgnicu, Mar 15, 2014

WuBByG999, Jun 24, 2014

neckbracesub, May 23, 2014

Iowacraft, Jan 13, 2014
4.74/5  rDev +24.1%

A - The DFH American Beauty American IPA pours into a chalice light gold, with a half-inch cream colored head.

S - Sweet hops, citrus, yeast, honey, patchouli and incense (hahahaha!) honestly...I thought I detected patchouli fragrance...let's call it "floral and hop oils."

T - YES! Sweet-ish hops flavor, all the way. LOVE IT! Holy crap, this is reminding me of...dare I say it...THE PLINies!! NOT BITTER. I'm going to guess Centennial variety hops, simply because that is what I believe the Pliny beers use, and the same taste emanates from this brew...some Fuggles possibly, as well.

M - Medium to heavy texture. Plenty of effervescence. Semi-dry.

O - Superb. 9% abv, watch out, very easy to let it get away...drinkable, indeed.

MVotter, Nov 16, 2013
4.61/5  rDev +20.7%

Brewhaha83, Aug 16, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +19.9%

I like the band, I will have to admit, I have seen them a few times over the years and the offshoots as well. That is what got my attention in regard to this one. But I will have to say that it is very good I have been enjoying IPA's lately and I have to say that of the Dogfish Head beers I have tried over the years I do think they make a damn good IPA style wise over some of the other offerings. Although this could also be me. Anyway, I thought the color was good and nothing surprising about that, typical of the style. It did have some head that settled into a nice lacing after a few minutes. The smell was fruity, with that hoppy pine smell I love. But there was a sweetness to it as well. That is where the granola enters I would assume. It does have that cereal grain impact to it that kind of mellows out the hoppy bitterness in the taste. The taste was not unlike the smell, I detected grapefruit, graininess, with some evergreeen presence. It had a sweetness to it that cuts through the hops and makes for a really balanced IPA. I would recommend this one and if I could find another one around I probably would pick it up again. I hope this is something Dogfish Head does more than once. My one complaint is that it was pricey to begin with and that seems to be an unfortunate trend overall in regard to good beers. I guess we will just have to get used to it.

humuloner22, Feb 05, 2014