Kvasir - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jonada on 10-22-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kvasir Alström Bros

jarrett123, Friday at 10:14 PM

Bretttt, Nov 16, 2014

Jho3325, Nov 16, 2014
2.84/5  rDev -23.5%

harryhops, Nov 15, 2014

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's Kvasir a couple weeks ago for $13.49 at The Lager Mill. It's been awhile since I've tried a new beer from Dogfish Head and this one sounds pretty interesting, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, I'm not really sure if it goes with the name, but it is eye catching. It poured a very cloudy dark orange color that didn't really let much light come through and it took on a nice ruby orange color. It had three fingers worth of very creamy white head that left some patchy and spotty lacing behind and it died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of sweetness along with a noticeably tart aroma that leads right into the fruits which impart a nice berry aroma with the cranberry seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a light malt aroma with some lightly toasted malts and bready aromas coming through and it's followed by a nice and lighter spicy and herbal like aroma. This beer had a good aroma, I liked the berry aspect and I thought it was a little unique.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness along with a lighter amount of medium tartness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart the same aspect that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most and it provides some nice balance to this beer. Up next comes the tart berries with the cranberries still sticking out the most. On the finish comes that same light spicy and light herbal aspect that I got in the aroma with a lingering tartness and cranberry like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, I like how it had some balance and complexity to it and it just wasn't completely dominated by the tart berries.

M- Smooth, not too acidic, crisp, slightly refreshing, the alcohol was hidden very well, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, I don't have a lot of the experience with this style, but when done right it's a style that I enjoy and after trying this beer I have no doubt that Dogfish Head did a good job with this beer. It had good drinkability, it was smooth, not too acidic, crisp, the alcohol was hidden very well, slightly refreshing, a little creamy, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have a problem drinking the whole bottle since it's not really acidic and the alcohol seemed to be expertly hidden. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, no single aspect ever got too overpowering, the balance was right where it needed to be. What I liked the lest about this beer was nothing, there isn't a single thing about this beer that I disliked or would change. I would for sure buy this beer again and I might consider seeing how it ages. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or just tart fruity beers in general, it's for sure worth a try. All in all I was happy with this beer and a little impressed, some of these beers from this ancient ale series were hit or miss for me, but this one was for sure a hit and enjoyed drinking it, it exceeded my expectations. So far it's one of the better Dogfish Head beers I've had it's now my favorite of the style. Good job guys this was one tasty, unique and interesting beer, keep up all the hard work.

StoutHunter, Nov 15, 2014