Kvasir - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jonada on 10-22-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kvasir Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -52.8%

WCurrie, Jun 17, 2014

Rhettroactive, Dec 04, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

On tap at Jose Pistola's, Philly, PA.

Orange-red color, good clarity, a few dishwater-like bubbles on top, but otherwise no head, and very little activity in the glass overall, indicative of low carbonation. In the nose, earthy wood, stale fruit, notes of cough syrup and solventy booze. I actually said *blech* when I took a sip of this. Rotten fruit, cranberry jam, cardboard, decomposing wood, a medicinal and almost vodka like booziness. Really messy, and the almost non-existent carbonation wasn't helping the mouthfeel either, which came off as slick and lifeless. Definitely couldn't drink this one, so I'm glad I only got a sample.

Rifugium, Aug 18, 2014

JBreezyyNY, Aug 05, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

Draft: Poured a reddish color ale with a medium size foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of berries and herbs is not the most enticing. Taste was also a weird mix between some berries notes, herbs with weird unrefined grainy notes. Body is light with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Interesting experiment but with such low drinkability I think I will avoid in the future.

Phyl21ca, Aug 22, 2014

Kayaker, Jan 04, 2014

tuka, Jan 21, 2014

kjrod20, Aug 26, 2014

billab914, Dec 04, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

Zetcha7x, Jun 29, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

At first sip this played like a sour. The more I drank the more it seemed to open up. The cranberry is a bit more prominent than I'd like but I think that the subtle birch flavors play well with the fruit. Good body and quite smooth for how boozy it really is. I'm glad I made the purchase but I think one 25oz bottle will be enough for me.

A_bit_of_the_Sacrament, Aug 13, 2014
2.84/5  rDev -23.5%

750ml capped bottle into Tired Hands stemware. Shared by schen9303.

Pours a 2 finger light cream colored head with great retention. Beer is a clear strawberry red. Lacing is stringy and spotty with little stick. Great for the style.

Nose is tart raspberry and cranberry with notes of honey, spice and sugar. Some ginger and cinnamon too. Kind of awkward but I like it.

Opens cranberry and unripe raspberry. Cinnamon, rotting peat, soil and moss in the middle with more tart red fruit. Spice and pepper at the end mixed with honey, molasses and floral notes. Finishes filmy sweet red fruit with the same aftertaste. Really strange... and not in a good way.

Light bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Slick and filmy in the mouth and goes down slightly aggressive and warm. Finishes messy with a lingering aftertaste. Average.

I appreciate the innovation beer and this beer does start to grow on you after a little while. That being said, its still not nearly worth drinking considering the other offerings in the style.

SpeedwayJim, Jan 22, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a rich, clear cranberry with a one-finger, off-white head that quickly dissipates. Only aroma I could get was faintly honey; not liking honey, this isn't a perk. Tastes mostly like carbonated cranberry juice with a bit of honey and a touch of cough syrup. Not for me.

QueerBeer, May 11, 2014

Luweezy, Apr 05, 2014

largadeer, Jan 22, 2014

mendvicdog, Nov 05, 2013

chet4, Feb 19, 2014

Split with duffextracold while watching reruns of Brewmasters (I now know why DFH beers are so pricey - they seemingly dump a stuck batch of beer every other episode).

Coppery pink color with wispy ring retention. Smells like cranberry and bread crust with a metallic copper element. Cranberry juice dominates the flavor profile with a little wheat bread and pollen must. I don't get much honey or birch syrup (never having had birch syrup I don't know that I would be able to identify it if it was obvious) but having brewed with cranberries before I'm assuming it's balance out the acidic tartness of the cranberry/lingonberry which is mild. Lingonberry is pretty much viking cranberry right?

I don't care for this beer in the sense of it being tasty and pleasing to drink. I love this beer in the sense that DFH allows me to take a journey back to fermented beverage history. Thanks for brewing.

donkeyrunner, Jul 20, 2014