Kvasir - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jonada on 10-22-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kvasir Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -40%

On tap at Jose Pistola's, Philly, PA.

Orange-red color, good clarity, a few dishwater-like bubbles on top, but otherwise no head, and very little activity in the glass overall, indicative of low carbonation. In the nose, earthy wood, stale fruit, notes of cough syrup and solventy booze. I actually said *blech* when I took a sip of this. Rotten fruit, cranberry jam, cardboard, decomposing wood, a medicinal and almost vodka like booziness. Really messy, and the almost non-existent carbonation wasn't helping the mouthfeel either, which came off as slick and lifeless. Definitely couldn't drink this one, so I'm glad I only got a sample. (640 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

Draft: Poured a reddish color ale with a medium size foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of berries and herbs is not the most enticing. Taste was also a weird mix between some berries notes, herbs with weird unrefined grainy notes. Body is light with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Interesting experiment but with such low drinkability I think I will avoid in the future. (401 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

At first sip this played like a sour. The more I drank the more it seemed to open up. The cranberry is a bit more prominent than I'd like but I think that the subtle birch flavors play well with the fruit. Good body and quite smooth for how boozy it really is. I'm glad I made the purchase but I think one 25oz bottle will be enough for me. (341 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a rich, clear cranberry with a one-finger, off-white head that quickly dissipates. Only aroma I could get was faintly honey; not liking honey, this isn't a perk. Tastes mostly like carbonated cranberry juice with a bit of honey and a touch of cough syrup. Not for me. (273 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -21.9%

750ml capped bottle into Tired Hands stemware. Shared by schen9303.

Pours a 2 finger light cream colored head with great retention. Beer is a clear strawberry red. Lacing is stringy and spotty with little stick. Great for the style.

Nose is tart raspberry and cranberry with notes of honey, spice and sugar. Some ginger and cinnamon too. Kind of awkward but I like it.

Opens cranberry and unripe raspberry. Cinnamon, rotting peat, soil and moss in the middle with more tart red fruit. Spice and pepper at the end mixed with honey, molasses and floral notes. Finishes filmy sweet red fruit with the same aftertaste. Really strange... and not in a good way.

Light bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Slick and filmy in the mouth and goes down slightly aggressive and warm. Finishes messy with a lingering aftertaste. Average.

I appreciate the innovation beer and this beer does start to grow on you after a little while. That being said, its still not nearly worth drinking considering the other offerings in the style. (1,030 characters)

Split with duffextracold while watching reruns of Brewmasters (I now know why DFH beers are so pricey - they seemingly dump a stuck batch of beer every other episode).

Coppery pink color with wispy ring retention. Smells like cranberry and bread crust with a metallic copper element. Cranberry juice dominates the flavor profile with a little wheat bread and pollen must. I don't get much honey or birch syrup (never having had birch syrup I don't know that I would be able to identify it if it was obvious) but having brewed with cranberries before I'm assuming it's balance out the acidic tartness of the cranberry/lingonberry which is mild. Lingonberry is pretty much viking cranberry right?

I don't care for this beer in the sense of it being tasty and pleasing to drink. I love this beer in the sense that DFH allows me to take a journey back to fermented beverage history. Thanks for brewing. (900 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -15.2%

750ml bottle poured into a pair of large snifters. Bottled on 10/11/2013 08:24. Poured completely (so sediment will be included) at fridge temp, 41 F.

Now, after a little interruption (being bitten by a three year old), I shall resume my beer experience.

Pours a little cloudy brownish-orange with a medium sized head. Head fades fast. Medium amount of very slow, fine carbonation. Smell is fruity. Berries, cranberries. Smells more like juice than beer. Maybe a slight hint of yeast.

Taste is tart, very strong cranberry flavor, slight berry profile. Some lemony sourness. More like a juice than a beer again. Not bad.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin, a little watery. Fairly flat or still. Overall...more a juice than a beer. But not bad. Maybe something to surprise a friend who believes all beer tastes the same. (813 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Clear shiny amber with almost no head. Smells of cranberry, booze, and the medicine cabinet after a flood. Tastes of cranberry, herbal notes, sweet syrup, and warming booze. Light bodied with medium carbonation. Sweet but not very interesting. No reason to have more than once. (277 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I figured this was a kvass stye beer when I bought it due to the name, but the label doesn't explicitly identify it as a specific style. Reviewed generically as an "ancient ale." 10% ABV confirmed. 750ml brown glass bottle with appealing label art and branded red colour pry-off pressure cap acquired at me local CO bottle shop and served into an EKU 28 stem-snifter as Dogfish Head recommends a snifter as the ideal glass for this beer. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I'm not a big Dogfish Head fan but this sounds interesting.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of pinkish white colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Good even smooth consistency. Complexion could be softer. It's not too airy or fluffy. Head retention is good for the ABV - about 4-5+ minutes. Uneven inconsistent spotty lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a clear translucent transparent orange-red of above average vibrance. Stunning clarity. It's quite clean; no floating yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Definitely not a kvass. It's appealing overall, but not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws here. An intriguing appearance.

Sm: Birch, depleted honey, vague unidentifiable berries, nebulous herbs, and a hint of cranberry. It's got a nicely subtle sweetness suggestive of good balance. Some might argue it's medicinal, and I can see that, but I find the aroma appealing and intriguing. It's not quite unique, but it's certainly uncommon. Pleasant. It's a change of pace. My interest is piqued.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable (not too shabby at 10%). Aroma is of below average strength.

T: Hm. The cranberry is very subtle almost to the point where I wonder if I'm only picking up on it because I'm looking for it. The body is a hard-to-describe balanced collection of oddities: light hints of herbal notes, wisps of unidentifiable berry/bright fruit (for the record, I have no idea what in fuck's name lingonberry is), and honey. I don't find any birch syrup in the build. There are some tea-evocative notes that I can't quite place. Has a kiss of red apple towards the back end. The foundation is hard to pin down; I'd guess it's a mix of Belgian pale malts and American amber malts. I expected a lot of earthiness, but it's actually a really clean build - there isn't even any yeast character here. Certainly cohesive, but not quite gestalt. It's also pretty tame for the ABV; the sweetness hides the alcohol and none of the flavours are real bold or aggressive.

The highlight here is the very light tartness; I could use far more of that.

I do like it. Below average depth and intensity of flavour. Average duration of flavour. Above average subtlety. It's complex enough, and has some intricacy. I wouldn't call it special or nuanced, but there's a case to be made that it's somewhat unique.

Mf: Smooth and surprisingly light on the palate. Great balance of dryness/smoothness, with just enough dryness to coax out the next sip but enough wetness to keep it semi-refreshing. It has a good clean presence, with only slight overcarbonation. Full-bodied.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, biting, rough, or scratchy.

Texture suits the flavour profile well in a general sense, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to it.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV. If I had this blind, I'd probably guess it was around 8%. I'll easily kill the entire bottle alone. I wouldn't even call this a sipper. It slides down real easy. It's far from amazing, but it's nice to have a Dogfish Head beer that doesn't make me regret my purchase for once. That said, I wouldn't get it again. Might be interesting aged. I expected another lame gimmicky brew from Dogfish Head, but this is actually fairly interesting and worth trying once. I wouldn't turn friends away from it. My biggest criticism is that it's too timid for its own good.

Could pair well with cranberry salad.

Drinks about as well as it can out of a snifter.

Low B- (4,221 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another one of these DFH weird beers, part beer, part archeology experiment.

Clear amber ale with a small tan colored head. There is a distinct redness to this beer probably from the berries used.

Smells mildly sweet and of berries and spice. Faint cranberry and the scent of spruce. Slightly earthy and musty scent something like a bog. Slight citrus aroma, wondering if they used spruce boughs in this somewhere.

Starts out slightly sweet and sour with one hell of a sharp aftertaste. Sharp as in you taste it and then it is gone. Slight sour aftertaste. Slight sensation of alcohol warmth in the stomach but you can't taste it. This leaves behind the distinct question of just what the heck am I drinking? with every taste. Very mild flavors, this reminds me of a a very dry mead a bit.

Mouthfeel is light.

Overall this is interesting, but not what I would call beer. (875 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -8%

Live review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.4 fl. oz bottle that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio for $11.99 a few weeks ago. “Bottled on 10/11/2013 0858” stamped on the neck of the bottle.

A Huge 4 inch light brown head that lingers for 3 to 4 minutes over a nice translucent copper body. Really, it looks like a translucent shiny new penny! I like the generous a long lasting head 4.0

S Hmm…berries, spices, maybe some grains and some malt sweetness but no hops bitterness detected by my nose. Certainly interesting and as I repeat some sniffs I am reminded of how dynamic DFH can be. What a great brewery to demonstrate so many different styles and attempt so many interesting beers! 4.0

T Ok…my first impression is actually a surprise to me. The taste is very brief! It disappears within a second or two. I had to repeat sips to make note of some brief sweet, tart berries along with some spices. There is just a thin syrupy film left in the aftertaste which is the sweet berries. Wow, this is a “quick” tasting beer. What I do not taste nearly at all is the 9.0% ABV. It is really hidden well. Certainly interesting but a little bit of a mystery, really. 3.5

M Thin, of course (see comments in taste section) and probably too thin for me. I would have preferred a more thorough mouthfeel, a longer lasting feel if you will. 2.5

D/O Drinkability is alright but the elevated ABV, price tag and all too brief taste would drive the drinkability down for me. Overall an interesting and challenging beer but not one that I would likely return to. 3.0

Notes: Again, Bravo to DFH for pushing limits of beer and seemingly to always try new things. DFH Kvasir is an acquired taste in a beer. (1,721 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: I was hoping to see a fair amount of red in the body, but it was pretty much just a typical orange-brown. There was quite a bit more head than I expected, of a beige color, though only a bit of lacing of which to speak.

S: Predominant flavor is sweetness and a bit of tartness from red fruit, namely, dem cranberries. Honey and alcohol are also apparent, and there is a hint of something a little smoky, or perhaps sage-like.

T: Starts off with slightly sweet and muted red fruit flavors - perhaps the lingonberries? The taste becomes much more intense mid-palate, with that odd smokiness interplaying with tartness from the cranberries, and a bit of sweetness as well. The end is more of the same, with a medium-length aftertaste involving a bit of sage.

M: I don't really know what mouthfeel would best suit this beer. As is, it's a bit on the heavier side, with medium carbonation.

O: Better than some of their other ancient ales, but still nothing to write home about. Midas Touch and Sahti, if that's technically one of their ancient ales, are still far and away the best they've made in this category. (1,117 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Red-orange amber color with a persistent ring of foam. Lacing is nil.

Bitter orange, cranberry, dark honey, toffee malts (birch syrup), and herbal notes. Smells a little syrupy.

Lingonberry sweetness meets cran tartness. Dark honey, like buckwheat honey, accentuates the birch syrup and herbal bitterness. No hops in the nose, but I get an herbal note from small doses of hops in the flavor. Tastes a little too sweet and birchy. I wish there was a more vigorous carbonation to cut it back, because the body feels thick and staunch.

Just another Dogfish Head fruit beer. Features the tart berries and captures that tartness at a minor level. Not very special, in actuality. Could be considered skippable amongst others in their lineup. (738 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

P: 750ml bottle into a DFH signature glass.

A: Ruby brown with a huge creamy light tan head. Tons of lacing that remains throughout the glass.

S: Sugary berries, honey and some bready malt. An ever-so-faint licorice like aroma creeps in but it's an aroma that is tough to place, I'm guessing it's the birch syrup. The honey aroma becomes much more discernible as the beer warms in the glass, as does the alcohol.

T: Interesting comes to mind after taking the first sip. As with quite a few of the "Ancient Ales" from Dogfish, it doesn't really taste like beer. It's quite sweet with a pronounced tart fruit flavor from the cranberries and cranberry juice. The bitterness is very earthy but once again, it's not something I can place specifically. It seems odd to say but this beer has an "old" flavor to it, not as in bad or stale but you know it's not a modern recipe.

M: Moderate body with moderately high carbonation, syrupy. Lots of small tingly bubbles.

O: I find the Ancient Ale's from DFH to be a lot of fun, for better or worse. Never knowing what to expect from any standpoint is my main attraction to these beers. I'd say Kvasir is a hit in comparison to several of the others but perhaps not one of the top tier brews from the series. I really think any of these beers are worth a try and Kvasir is one that I could see myself buying again, like Theobroma, Sah'tea or Birra Etrusca. Worth a go for sure. (1,419 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

-Ancient ale brewed with lingonberry, cranberry, birch syrup, honey, cranberry juice and herbs. Bottled 3/12/13. Consumed 2/14/14.

A: Coppery orange with some cranberry hints for coloring. Glass consuming effervesce fills the vessel within with a steadfast rate. A crowning head of 2 inches sits atop with a light tan color and a creamy whipped consistency staying with good retention. Spongy-dab lacing, light coverage rate.

S: The aroma was of sasafras, rootbeer, sweet honey and birch syrup. Some cola, fresh herbs mix with a light finish of dry earthy birch bark.

T: Flavor was tart cranberry, honey sweetness, and birch. The cranberry is rather tart, forefront, with some musky herbs. Hints of sweet grapes, im guessing the lingoberry which im unfamiliar with. Final thoughts of lemon, sage and some bubblegum sweetness.

M: Mouthful was tart, viscose with lots of carbonation dacining on the tongue.

O: Overall sweet honey and tart cranberry, Unique, but more of a cranberry beer then anything. A bomber could lead to quite the struggle once the novelty wears off. For the record i picked this up from a local store which had 20 bombers on closeout at $3.98. A price always worth a curious buy when it comes to dogfish head, but dont expect to be knocked over. I understand the experimental aspect, but overall if i didnt know what i was drinking in a blind taste test, i probably wouldnt be to impressed. (1,420 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750mL into a snifter, the beer is a rose tinted copper coloring, slightly hazed and bright, with a frothy, filmy, off-white head. Aromas of cranberry and raspberry, but concentrated like they have been boiled for jam, with toasted grains and a kick of booze. Flavors are tart forward, with cranberry in the forefront, a subtle rich sweetness of honey, roast characteristics, woody notes, and a hint of booze. Bold, robust bodied, but it remains thin enough to be drinkable. The aftertaste is roasted and richly tart, with a subtle warmth building. Tangy fruit sweetness lingers into a thin, slick finish. (618 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

750ml, 10/11/13
DFH signature glass

A: Like almost all DFH beers, crystal clear. Pinkish hued orange color. Off white frothy head of about a finger. Leaving some good lacing. Good carbonation coming from bottom.

S: Smell that tart cranberry juice note. Think you get some of the birch syrup. Sweetness. Cereal grains like other DFH big bottle beers.

T: Ah....just ok. Weird beer. Thought from nose there would be more cranberry tartness. Very mild. Cereal grains. That DFH yeast that they always use. Sweetness coming in towards the back end of sip. Some booze actually at back of throat. Lingering berry.

M: Medium bodied. (627 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottled on 10/11/2013. Served in a Teku

Appearance: Pours amber in color with hints of red. 2+ fingers of an off white head with decent retention and lacing. Body is reasonably clear with some light visible carbonation.

Smell: Generic herbs and spices, spicy almost quasi belgian yeast character, somewhat medicinal. I was able to pick out the lingonberries also

Taste: Nice mild tartness upfront followed by a general tart berry character and a strong sweet spiciness (I believe this is the birch syrup but I could be mistaken) and a hint of molasses.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, soft mouthfeel. Carbonation is medium and works quite well for this particular beer. Booze is hidden well. Has an almost dry finish which seems rare for a DFH beer.

Overall: A bit more herb/spice forward than I was expecting. I was hoping they'd really let the berries shine through an be the star of the beer, but that didn't end up being the case. Nevertheless, this is still a decent offering that's worth picking up if you're a DFH fan. Not the best of the ancient ales series, but certainly not the worst either. (1,109 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A = Deep orange, voluminous tan head that falls quickly to a thin lace

S - Floral, honey, herbal/woody - interesting but nothing to make you go wow

T - Tart but plenty of sweetness to keep it from getting sour, bitter on the end

M - Thin and crisp, quite a bit of carbonation, alcohol well hidden

O - Certainly unique, I'm glad I tried it, but I'm now ready for a stout. This is certainly very different. Closer to wine than beer. A strange combination that they made work, but not something I would drink again. (516 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

750ml bottle poured into tulip 6/10/14, thanks Phyl21ca for sending the bottle

A glowing amber with some of the tiniest bubbles I've ever seen and lots of them and they just keep coming, two fingers of dense light tan foam has decent retention leaving a few patches of lace

S gummy bears and wine gums, spruce tips, honey, cherry jolly rancher and cough syrup, has a minty, earthy thing going on that's hard to place but interesting

T lots of earthy herbal notes with lots of cranberry and cherry with a hint of booze but well concealed for 10%

M has some body to it, a little syrupy, slick on the palate and just a little sticky on the lips, gummy candy and herbal notes I can't place linger

O something different that's for sure, interesting and unique, drinkable for 10%, worth a try as its unlike anything I can think of

I 'm not sure if I'd look for this one again but I'm glad I tried it once, I could've swore this was listed as a Kvass yesterday, oh well (977 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%

Crimson copper, bright clarity. Billowing head of foam, flecks of lace and a thick ring around the edges.

Aroma is a little bland for all the obscure ingredients and fluffy backstory. I want to smell a Viking tomb goddammit. Yeasty, malty, blah. Faint indistinct fruit.

Tart and bitter, cranberry and lingonberry in spades. Malt underneath, lingering bitterness verges on herbal. Initially more carbonated, though it ebbs away towards the end. It drinks more as a Gruit, which is essentially what many of these attempts at ancient ales are. (543 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear reddish with a frothy khaki head that dissipates to a layer of foam.

Aroma is reminiscent of cough syrup, with sweetness countering soft cranberry notes.

Flavor is a bit more bitter, with cranberry at the forefront. Acidity balanced the alcohol fairly well.

Body is a tad light, with carbonation a touch high, and noted alcohol warmth.

High in alcohol, but the tartness counters well. Probably one of the better big beers from Dogfish. (453 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a three finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Nice crystal clear amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Light fruity nose and flavor is tart fruit, some sweetness, high ABV is hidden. Take out the hops and it would be close to a wine. Pricey at $14.00 for a 750ml bottle from Tullys Beer & Wine Wells, Me. (337 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Somewhere between red and brown and gray; not attractive. Weak head. Bright bottle art is appreciated though.

S: Not a ton. Some cranberry and other tart fruit- I guess that's lingonberry? Some sweetness. Mostly I get something like a molding cleaning rag. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say my glass is somehow dirty, even after just coming out of the washer.

T: Wow, the lingonberry really comes through here! For real, cranberry and a hint of cherry, leafy herbs definitely present as well. The honey is restrained, just enough to give a bit of sweetness. I overall like this, but the flavors muddle together and form strange, pleasing, frustratingly indistinguishable notes. Alcohol is well, well hidden. Finish is a chameleon, just like the rest of it, and stays a polite amount of time.

M: Mouth-drying, a little filmy, but light enough to be pretty drinkable.

O: Good, no doubts there. Gimmicky? Yes. A breakthrough beer experiment? No. Repeatable? Yes, for a pretty conservative price. Should you try it? Sure. (1,036 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not quite sure what to expect with this one...

A - A standard pour yields two plus fingers of crisp lively audibly fizzy light khaki colored head that turns creamy as it begins to settle a bit... Decent retention... What's left is a full even thick veil of creamy lacing... Mostly still with just a couple streaks of sluggish carbonation... The color is a watered down pale red with some amber undertones...

S - A completely unique and rather inviting aroma... The birch syrup and cranberry juice are at the forefront and work harmoniously together... There are also notes of pomegranates... There is a layer of honey... A very light subtle spiciness lingers a bit beneath the surface... Nice balance and complexity... Each subsequent whiff yields a new layer of depth and complexity...

T - The layers of depth and complexity on the nose become a bit muddled on the palate... Cherries... Pomegranate... Cranberry... Not sure what a lingonberry is, but I'll assume there is some of that mixed in as well... The birch and honey notes are light and linger beneath the surface... Some light sage notes as well... There's a light to moderate medicinal quality to the finish that proves a bit challenging and off putting...

M -Medium bodied... Sturdy... Sharp carbonation... Syrupy...

D - This brew is quintessential Dogfish Head... Not great nor bad, but completely unique and challenging... The aroma is the best part of this offering... The flavor profile and mouthfeel are a bit rough around the edges... The end result is a beer worthy of the curious... Probable a couple notches below Theobroma in terms of my favorite DFH Ancient Ale... (1,646 characters)

Kvasir from Dogfish Head Brewery