Shelter Pale Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Brewed with a premium barley and northwestern Williamette and Columbus hops, Shelter Pale Ale has a fine malt backbone and a slightly nutty flavor. It's a versatile and quaffable beer.

We named this beer Shelter Pale Ale because we think of a shelter as being a place you come home to. It just made sense for this Dogfish original.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-16-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shelter Pale Ale Alström Bros
gafferjohn

02-04-2013 18:53:01 | More by Budinetz
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.03/5  rDev -39.9%

I got this in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks, John!

It pours from 12oz bottle a clear gold with a good head of foam that shrinks to a fine broken layer by the end of my session.

The smell is rather delicate. I get a bit of floral hops but that's about it.

The taste has some good malty graininess up front with a touch of bitterness that moves in about midway through and that's, pretty much, the highlight of this APA. I won't mention the "D" word but yeah, it gets overpowering for my taste buds and I'm having a rather tough time drinking this brew. In fact, I can't finish my glass.
Dogfish Head makes some great brews so my not liking this one is neither here or there, if you catch my drift. ;^)

08-04-2007 18:50:46 | More by Bitterbill
RoyalT

2.05/5  rDev -39.3%

Appearance – Nice, clear, light orange in color but little head.

Smell – Faint, almost nasty grainy grassy aroma. This one smells like shit.

Taste – This is a tremendous disappointment. The cheap grain and sucrose tastes like a bad macro.

Mouthfeel – Thin and light in the body.

Sinkability – This one stayed out of the sink by a hair.

12-02-2003 04:17:04 | More by RoyalT
PittBeerGirl

2.05/5  rDev -39.3%

A- Crystal clear rusty amber colored body with thick white head that fades slowly to 1/2 finger. Plenty of lacing is left behind in the glass. Nice-looking beer.

S- whoa. very musty and biscuity with an added macro-hop potency. Not very appealing at all.

T- Lots of crass biscuity malt and barley upfront with a bitterness from hops but no taste of hops. Burnt Biscuit taste. The finish is clean with a burnt bitterness that lingers on and on.

M- High carbonation and a light body. My overall impression was the crassness.

D- It looks good, but the smell and taste are quite the opposite. When I grab an APA I'm not looking for something that tastes like a burnt biscut. I was rather disappointed with this offering from Dogfish Head since they are such a great brewery. I won't have this again.

08-15-2007 04:28:57 | More by PittBeerGirl
Bighuge

2.15/5  rDev -36.4%

Pours a hazy dark golden color. Carbonation is at a high level. A very fizzy head develops on the pour and is gone in seconds. I get some flowery hop notes on the nose but I also get a bad soapy smell. I'm not sure if this is an old sample or just not my type, but I don't care for the taste much. (The "packaged on" notch is not visible.) Pretty light body and a bit fizzy in the mouth. Taste is void of almost anything to speak of except for maybe some of the Willamette and Columbus accents. And there is a bit of the soapiness in the taste also.

Not a good start on my run of Dogfish Head brews over the next week or so. (Although, I'd be willing to bet that better things are ahead as I've got the Raison d'etre, Immort, 90 min IPA and World Wide Stout still to go.)

05-07-2002 20:33:34 | More by Bighuge
charlesw

2.17/5  rDev -35.8%

Pours a very clear, pale orange color. Dense and long-lasting cream-colored head.
The, ah, aroma really really put me off. Ok, I've got another bottle in the fridge and I'll give it a go and maybe change this rating, but, really, it was simply horrible for this bottle. But, well, how? Ok, uh, well, it smelled sour - a mixture of (sickly sweet) fruity citrus and something gone bad. The question is, of course, -what- gone bad? (Sorry - I was unable to decide!)
After that I was quite surprised to find that it doesn't taste bad! It is a light and fruity pale ale. By 'light' here I mean light on the bitterness and light on the malt but a pale ale should be at least one of those! I give it a lower note on taste for that fruitiness which I find both off-style and offputting.
I won't restock this one after I finish that other bottle.

07-07-2003 18:51:17 | More by charlesw

Date: 22 January 2011
Glass: Standard 10oz snifter
Type: 12fl oz bottle

Bottle date: 2 December 2010

Poured aggressively giving a 2-finger head, reduces to hazy film, lacing is better-than-average. Aroma of stale pale malt and butter. Taste of diacetyl and some skunk. Palate is overwhelmed with diacetyl flavor. So close to pouring this one down the drain. Sorry DFH....not sure what you were going for in this beer.

01-22-2011 18:39:36 | More by ToAzwethinkweizm
Beerchaeology

06-06-2012 19:47:29 | More by Beerchaeology
abents

Wisconsin

2.38/5  rDev -29.6%

Clear yellow pour with nice white head and great lacing. Smells of not too much here, no real big hops aroma as I was expecting. More smooth malty nose than hops here. Not much else. Taste is also in the ehhh department. It just kinda sits in the mouth with no real great taste here. Wow, the taste here is hard to even find its just a smooth bland kind of beer. Little hop notes, slight malty finish, but it sucks. I suppose this is the one dogfish head I can finish a 6 of in one night, but why would I? It's really not that great.

04-28-2004 04:02:26 | More by abents
99bottles

2.4/5  rDev -29%

I tried this recently while at the beach, where it's near impossible to find a decent beer. The beer was a faint amber color with a small quickly dying head of white lace. The smell was surprisingly bland. Light malt and barely noticeable hops come through the nose. The taste was very disappointing. Malts are sort of all over the place and the main flavor is gross buttery diacetyl. For a pale ale, I felt the use of hops was also very poorly done in the whole scheme of things. Thin mouth. I wouldn't want to drink this ever again, but I guess it wasn't difficult to down, per se. The absolute worst beer from otherwise one of my favorite breweries. Stay away.

05-20-2004 00:23:45 | More by 99bottles
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

2.4/5  rDev -29%

Pours a clear deep copper with a thin, persistent, creamy ivory head. Sheeting lace. Smells of herbal fruity hops, earthy malt.

Bitter herbal hops, earthy malt. Lemony and astringent. Not particularly tasty. Some metallic flavors. Mouth is a bit thin and limp. Not so hot, a below average pale ale (surprisingly) from Dogfish Head.

12-07-2006 01:41:33 | More by ViveLaChouffe
B967ierhunter177

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

This beer pours a clear gold with a rapidly fading head and no lace. The aroma is of caramel and grass. It's flavor has caramel, honey, and nutty notes. It has a light-medium mouthfeel and is smooth and balanced. Dogfish Head Shelter Pale is an average beer, very drinkable. Recommended.

07-27-2011 03:56:39 | More by B967ierhunter177
klewis

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

Bottled on 4/26/06

A: Pours a clear gold with a moderate sized foamy head.

S: Weak aromas of barley and corn.

T: A bit of bitterness in the back, but very little hop presence overall. The taste is bland and uninteresting and reminds me more of a BMC brew than one by DFH.

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: Barely drinkable at best. Pass on this one.

07-11-2006 21:40:39 | More by klewis
brenjames

District of Columbia

01-08-2012 15:07:22 | More by brenjames
oracle

Indiana

2.5/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Another 6 pack purchased when I should have known better. Label on the side indicates it was packaged in April. Bought in October, drunk in early November.

Looked pretty good. Kind of a golden/brown/orange color. The absolutely monstrously huge head, another indication that this may have spent too much time in the bottle.

Smell was was a little off. Mild citrus hops, but also a almost sour winey aroma.

Taste was kind of off as well. Not as much citrus as in the nose, more malty and slighy sweet, but again the age appeared to be showing up.
The finish was downright bad.

Mouthfeel was far too heavily carbonated.

I'll try this one again with a fresher 6 pack.

11-08-2004 03:24:25 | More by oracle