Shelter Pale Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-16-2001

Brewed with a premium barley and northwestern Williamette and Columbus hops, Shelter Pale Ale has a fine malt backbone and a slightly nutty flavor. It's a versatile and quaffable beer.

We named this beer Shelter Pale Ale because we think of a shelter as being a place you come home to. It just made sense for this Dogfish original.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 759 | Reviews: 475
1.5/5  rDev -55.6%

2.06/5  rDev -39.1%

Appearance – Nice, clear, light orange in color but little head.

Smell – Faint, almost nasty grainy grassy aroma. This one smells like shit.

Taste – This is a tremendous disappointment. The cheap grain and sucrose tastes like a bad macro.

Mouthfeel – Thin and light in the body.

Sinkability – This one stayed out of the sink by a hair.

2.06/5  rDev -39.1%

I got this in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks, John!

It pours from 12oz bottle a clear gold with a good head of foam that shrinks to a fine broken layer by the end of my session.

The smell is rather delicate. I get a bit of floral hops but that's about it.

The taste has some good malty graininess up front with a touch of bitterness that moves in about midway through and that's, pretty much, the highlight of this APA. I won't mention the "D" word but yeah, it gets overpowering for my taste buds and I'm having a rather tough time drinking this brew. In fact, I can't finish my glass.
Dogfish Head makes some great brews so my not liking this one is neither here or there, if you catch my drift. ;^)

2.07/5  rDev -38.8%

A- Crystal clear rusty amber colored body with thick white head that fades slowly to 1/2 finger. Plenty of lacing is left behind in the glass. Nice-looking beer.

S- whoa. very musty and biscuity with an added macro-hop potency. Not very appealing at all.

T- Lots of crass biscuity malt and barley upfront with a bitterness from hops but no taste of hops. Burnt Biscuit taste. The finish is clean with a burnt bitterness that lingers on and on.

M- High carbonation and a light body. My overall impression was the crassness.

D- It looks good, but the smell and taste are quite the opposite. When I grab an APA I'm not looking for something that tastes like a burnt biscut. I was rather disappointed with this offering from Dogfish Head since they are such a great brewery. I won't have this again.

2.14/5  rDev -36.7%

Pours a very clear, pale orange color. Dense and long-lasting cream-colored head.
The, ah, aroma really really put me off. Ok, I've got another bottle in the fridge and I'll give it a go and maybe change this rating, but, really, it was simply horrible for this bottle. But, well, how? Ok, uh, well, it smelled sour - a mixture of (sickly sweet) fruity citrus and something gone bad. The question is, of course, -what- gone bad? (Sorry - I was unable to decide!)
After that I was quite surprised to find that it doesn't taste bad! It is a light and fruity pale ale. By 'light' here I mean light on the bitterness and light on the malt but a pale ale should be at least one of those! I give it a lower note on taste for that fruitiness which I find both off-style and offputting.
I won't restock this one after I finish that other bottle.

2.18/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a hazy dark golden color. Carbonation is at a high level. A very fizzy head develops on the pour and is gone in seconds. I get some flowery hop notes on the nose but I also get a bad soapy smell. I'm not sure if this is an old sample or just not my type, but I don't care for the taste much. (The "packaged on" notch is not visible.) Pretty light body and a bit fizzy in the mouth. Taste is void of almost anything to speak of except for maybe some of the Willamette and Columbus accents. And there is a bit of the soapiness in the taste also.

Not a good start on my run of Dogfish Head brews over the next week or so. (Although, I'd be willing to bet that better things are ahead as I've got the Raison d'etre, Immort, 90 min IPA and World Wide Stout still to go.)

2.25/5  rDev -33.4%

2.25/5  rDev -33.4%

2.27/5  rDev -32.8%

Date: 22 January 2011
Glass: Standard 10oz snifter
Type: 12fl oz bottle

Bottle date: 2 December 2010

Poured aggressively giving a 2-finger head, reduces to hazy film, lacing is better-than-average. Aroma of stale pale malt and butter. Taste of diacetyl and some skunk. Palate is overwhelmed with diacetyl flavor. So close to pouring this one down the drain. Sorry DFH....not sure what you were going for in this beer.

2.38/5  rDev -29.6%

Clear yellow pour with nice white head and great lacing. Smells of not too much here, no real big hops aroma as I was expecting. More smooth malty nose than hops here. Not much else. Taste is also in the ehhh department. It just kinda sits in the mouth with no real great taste here. Wow, the taste here is hard to even find its just a smooth bland kind of beer. Little hop notes, slight malty finish, but it sucks. I suppose this is the one dogfish head I can finish a 6 of in one night, but why would I? It's really not that great.

2.41/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours a clear deep copper with a thin, persistent, creamy ivory head. Sheeting lace. Smells of herbal fruity hops, earthy malt.

Bitter herbal hops, earthy malt. Lemony and astringent. Not particularly tasty. Some metallic flavors. Mouth is a bit thin and limp. Not so hot, a below average pale ale (surprisingly) from Dogfish Head.

2.42/5  rDev -28.4%

Reviewed 10/30/2007 (bottle):

Pours a clear light brown color, big foarmy off-white head, lasting. Skunky hoppy aroma, some malts, but mostly skunk. Sweet and some flowers. Malty, light flavor, some bitter, but balanced. Nutty taste, very light flavor. Bland with a dry mouthfeel. Some fruity taste as it warms up, not as bad. Almost like a cherry taste. Not too bad, a light session.

2.43/5  rDev -28.1%

I tried this recently while at the beach, where it's near impossible to find a decent beer. The beer was a faint amber color with a small quickly dying head of white lace. The smell was surprisingly bland. Light malt and barely noticeable hops come through the nose. The taste was very disappointing. Malts are sort of all over the place and the main flavor is gross buttery diacetyl. For a pale ale, I felt the use of hops was also very poorly done in the whole scheme of things. Thin mouth. I wouldn't want to drink this ever again, but I guess it wasn't difficult to down, per se. The absolute worst beer from otherwise one of my favorite breweries. Stay away.

2.46/5  rDev -27.2%

This beer pours a clear gold with a rapidly fading head and no lace. The aroma is of caramel and grass. It's flavor has caramel, honey, and nutty notes. It has a light-medium mouthfeel and is smooth and balanced. Dogfish Head Shelter Pale is an average beer, very drinkable. Recommended.

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

This beer pours a deep golden honey with little head that disappears rather quickly. The smell is grain and hops. The taste is also rather ordinary. Tastes like....well....beer. The only thing that makes this one notch better than your average mass produced beer is the increased hop flavor adding a touch of bitterness and giving it a crisp feel. Very thin mouthfeel. This is an easy drinking beer that is nothing to get excited about but if someone offers one to you, drink it ! Great brewery. Average beer.

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

Bottled on 4/26/06

A: Pours a clear gold with a moderate sized foamy head.

S: Weak aromas of barley and corn.

T: A bit of bitterness in the back, but very little hop presence overall. The taste is bland and uninteresting and reminds me more of a BMC brew than one by DFH.

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: Barely drinkable at best. Pass on this one.

2.49/5  rDev -26.3%

$1.99 single that I picked up at the Village Pump the other day. Bottled 02 Dec 2010, consumed in my Founders 10th anniversary pint glass.

A clear copper with a dense, off-white head that recedes to a disk leaving some lacing, this looks solid for the style. The nose is a little disappointing. Initially vegetal, this develops an aspirin-like medicinal note. Hoppy with citrus and grapefruit, there's a mild caramel character as well. However, I just can't get past the aspirin here.

The palate opens with a rather noticeable green, grassy, vegetal hop character with grapefruit pith and orange peel. Bitterness is low, and rather disappointingly, so is the hop flavor. A little sweet on the mid-palate with a pilsner-like sweetness, this does dry out a little on the finish. Bitterness is mild,this beer is medium-light in body with moderate carbonation. Decent on the palate, this just isn't very good IMO. The hops are just too grassy and vegetal.

2.5/5  rDev -26%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shelter Pale Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery