Chicory Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

American Stout |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-06-2001

Chicory was one of the first beers we started brewing at our pub back when it opened in 1995. It's a dark beer made with a bunch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort and licorice root. We use whole-leaf Cascade and Fuggle hops, as well as pale, roasted and oatmeal grains.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chicory Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,369 | Hads: 3,321
3.06/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bottle purchased from Beers of the World in Rochester, NY.

Pours a dark brown, almost black, with a foamy one inch head. Not much lacing.

Smells burnt, really burnt. Sort of an ashy coffee flavor, a little bit of chocolate, and some wood.

The taste is similar, not one of my favorite coffee flavors in a stout. Just like burnt, used coffee grounds. A very dirty flavor. Strongly roasted malt flavors as well.

Thin bodied, way too thin for a stout. Watery mouthfeel. Somewhat drinkable. Low carbonation.

A big miss from Dogfish Head. I love the brewery, but will never drink this beer. (589 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark brown head with a half finger of tan head that dissipated quickly. The nose has mild roasted malt notes and a faint essence of burned wood. The flavor profile has roasted malt blended with a slight hint of licorice. The finish is surprisingly sour and tart for a stout.
The body on this offering is thin for a stout.

Interesting, but a tad strange. (363 characters)

3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone Brewery pint glass. Pours a deep brown, almost black color with a nice thick 1.5 finger, tan head. Head has almost a soda like consistency to it with good lacing. Right away you can smell the coffee roast and chicory. I'd say this beer smells better than it tastes even. The taste is a bit underwhelming. I was expecting something that could possibly top DFH's India Brown Ale, but sadly, I don't think this does. It lacks the creaminess and richness that I've come to love about the IBA. It's very dry in contrast. Like I said, this just doesn't have the smooth, creamy feel of the IBA either. And at almost 10 bucks for a 4 pack as opposed to a 6 pack, this beer just doesn't seem worth the extra cash. It was good to try this, but I think I'll stick to the IBA instead. (812 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

a - poured into tumbler with a slight head that wasn't very well maintained. not real clear which really doesn't matter to me anyway

s - weak for a stout and maybe the chicory suppressed that although the chicory only came thru on taste.

t - once again the taste was weak for a stout. not full bodied as one might expect.

m - nondescript (340 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Enjoyed in my Duvel glass.

For some reason I really like the label on this bottle. It's not the DFH template I enjoy, but it's something about the color, background of barley malt, and the description that I really like. A brief hiss welcomes me as I pop the cap.

The beer pours out a deep roasted chestnut brown adorned with an ivory head. As you raise the glass to the light, notice the grade B maple hues at the edges. Rare trails of foam line the glass. This beer speaks colors to me. I smell caramel blended with malted grains with a bit of toffee sprinkled on top. The lightest trace of pecans trailed behind the roasted barley, toast, cocoa, and fresh coffee and joined the sweetness from before. As you sip, the same order of subtleties come out, with the sweetness lingering a few seconds after the finish, until the mild bitterness of burnt toast and coffee emerge and let a dryer feel take over. The carbonation is refreshing, yet smooth upon the medium bodied liquid. Overall, a very nicely drinkable, yet tasteful beer. (1,034 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -22.7%

a: typical darkness for a stout of this variety.
4/5

s: Roast coffee and barley, with some slight caramel sweetness to balance it off. No hop aroma
4/5

t: Chicory starts off with a strong coffee flavor and a suprising amount of creamyness, but the beer's flavor is domianted by the after taste (where the Chicory really takes over). Dry, dry dry. This is one of the dryest beers Ive ever had. It litterly feels like the water is being sucked out of my mouth when my sip is over. Very heavy on the tannins, and a tastes a bit of chilled old dark tea (or better put, Chickory tea, which tastes exactly like this brew, except with some malty sweetness added to it). No hops flavors are detectable
2.5/5

M: described well in my taste section, its a odd combiantiion. It starts off creamy, almsot like a light milk stout, but then quickly moves off to heavy dry flavors. Overall Id say that I found this dryness to be too much and made drinking the beer hard, and saw it as the beers most serrious problem.
2.5/5

O: To appreaciate this beer you really have to like the dry taste of the Chicory root. If you do, this brew is for you. However, it is not what I was expecting or really, what I enjoyed. Despite the fact that I really liked its aroma and beginning taste, I could not stand its dry tanniny after taste that just made it hard for me to finish the brew.
Not a bad brew by any stretch of the imagination, but by god, It was bad for me, and those who don't know what chicory tastes like, I suggest you find out before laying $$$ on a brew like this one, or elese youl be in store for the same dissapointment I was

A very personal 2.5/5, but I suggest that lovers of Chicory-flavored tea and coffee give it a whirle. You will probably enjoy it.

those who do not care for the stuff, like me, obviously should stay away and go to more familiar territory. Its not the beer you, Especially if your not a fan of VERY Astringent flavors. (1,940 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%

12 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, late 2012 bottle release. Pours crystal clear nearly pitch black color with a nice 1-2 finger dense tan head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, dark roasted coffee, roasted malt, light caramel, toast, light wood, light char, floral, and slight licorice. Fantastic aromas with great balance, strength, and complexity of roasted flavors with the added coffee and spices. Taste of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt, toast, light caramel, light wood, light char, and herbal earthiness. Lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, light caramel, light wood, and herbal on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance, robustness, and complexity of roasted flavors, with only a light amount of added spices noted in the taste. Zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth and moderately creamy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice stout! Very nice balance and robustness of roasted flavors; extremely smooth to drink. The aromas kind of made the taste a letdown, but this was still very enjoyable. (1,290 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -7.2%

Tasted on January 13, 2013:

A: A very dark brown/black color when poured and has about an inch of foam that remains very well.

S: Very strong chocolate aroma right up front. Coffee scent isn't as strong, but still there. I smell something else that I can't distinguish. I'm assuming it's the chicory since i'm not sure what that smells like.

T: Very strong chocolate notes right off that bat. Coffee notes are stronger in the taste then in the smell. Coffee has a burnt flavor to it. There is a very noticeable cream taste in the end.

M: Long lasting coffee taste that stays on the palate. A rather creamy texture left in my mouth. Not heavy in the mouth at all.

O: I'm not the biggest fan of stout's, but I find this one rather enjoyable. If i'm in the mood for a strong coffee tasting stout in the winter, i'll give this one another go. (843 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours very dark. Minimal light penetration. High SRM. Head is a huge scooping of fluffy cream. The head dies off slightly but stays true. It leaves tons of lacing, even before the first sip.

S-Quite roasty with an underlying zest. Chocolate, coffee and ash. Has an herbal character to it as well; almost dirty.

T-Roast and chocolate first followed by a clean grassy flavor. Lingering herbal flavor too. Charred to a certain extent. Soil-like (dirty). Root beer and anise. Much more agreeable than I was expecting.

M-Light but its only clocking in at 5.2%. A bit watery but very drinkable. Flavors seem to disappear very quickly.

O/D-Pretty solid, the 'chicory' label has made me avoid this beer for years. Its actually pretty decent. I thought chicory was spicy for some reason. A four pack of this is too pricey and does not deliver any 'bang for your buck'. (866 characters)

3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a dark brown. Dark, but not super dark. Some bubbles visible. A small amount of head.

S: The strongest smell is coffee, along with some chocolate. Nice aroma, but honestly, this didn't smell a lot different than a normal stout.

T: This starts out a lot like a typical stout, with perhaps the coffee taste coming through a bit stronger than normal. The real difference comes with the finish, where some of the more complex flavors come through: a woody / earthy flavor that ends with a strong taste of smoke. It's an interesting flavor in a beer, which is probably the best way I can describe it.

M: Fairly thin with some carbination. I wouldn't say the mouthfeel was a high point, but not bad either. Above-average.

O: This is an... interesting beer. Like all Dogfish Head brews, this is quality and certainly above-average. That said, it's not one I plan on drinking regularly. It feels sort of like an experiment (which isn't a bad thing) -- a good quality beer trying something different. It works, sort of, it's just such a different type of flavor in the end that I don't think I would be turning to it a lot. But, it is nice overall, and worth giving a try. (1,178 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Thin, black, not much carbonation.

S - Nice chocolate, coffee aroma, bitter, too not bitter though. Promising.

T - Interesting taste. Coffee-like, yes, but different. A bit tangy actually. Fairly roasty, not too bitter, which I like. Just a little bit of sweetness. Fairly dry. I like this. Certainly not the best stout I ever had, but pretty solid.

M - Yeah, too dry and watery for a stout. It doesn't lack sweetness, just thin. It does contribute to the drinkability though.

O - I do like this, above average I would call it. It has a nice taste, and it is quite drinkable. Lacking in terms of mouthfeel and maybe lacking some complexity. (650 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%

This pours a very dark brown color with a semi-roasted malt scent. There is a heavy roasted sweetness in the flavor mixed with hints of chicory and licorice. Overall this is a well-made beer with a complex blend of ingredients. It ends finishing with a little bit of a chalky after-taste. (288 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle -> Snifter

This beer pours up a beautiful and black with a fluffy one finger tan head. Retention is good and there is a surprising amount of lacing. The nose is mostly coffee with maybe a fresh undertone that I can't quite identify. Taste is overall kind of dry with coffee being the biggest component but also some cola and maybe toffee. Mouthfeel is thin for a stout. Nothing here spectacular, but solid nonetheless. (438 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A - Poured very dark. Not quite black but an attractive dark beer nonetheless. Decent tannsih looking head the went away after a few minutes

S - I picked up sweet and smoky at the same time. I just didnt smell coffee or chicory. Pleasant smell, just not what I anticipated it would be

T - Right up front I tasted smoky dark chocolate. Definately not sweet. I only picked up a slight coffee taste and the chicory really wasn't there. Maybe its just me, but I detected a very slight cherry undertone on the finish

M - Not as heavy as most stouts I've had. Wouldnt call it watery, but not a heavy stout either. It did feel dry in my mouth

O - Its a good stout. The guy at the beer counter said "Finally someone brave enough to try the chicory stout" Definately not as big a beer as I thought it would be. I'd drink it again (824 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours nearly black with a tan bubbly head; when held up to light, a deep amber creeps through; good head retention and moderate lacing. Cocoa is noted first in the smell, followed by roasted coffee beans; also noticed a bit of smoky, rich vanilla. Taste is typical for a stout; chocolately, but not too sweet; bitter and smokey without being too overpowering. Mouthfeel is pretty bubbly for a stout, which adds an interesting component to it; I think the bubbles allow the flavors to open up a bit more than your average stout; virtually no aftertaste.

Overall, a good but not too noteworthy stout. Enjoyable and refreshing - really liked the way the flavors changed slightly throughout drinking. Chicory Stout makes for a good session stout - only problem is it only comes in 4-packs, which may or may not lead to you drinking the whole pack in one sitting. Cheers. (867 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The bottle states that the beer was bottled in 2012.

The color consists of a deepened dark color with lots of carbonation at first, consisting of a three finger head filled with enormous bubbles, and after settling down seems to leave pretty decent lacing scattered on the walls of the glass. While this isn't dark enough to the point that light doesn't pass through it, I couldn't notice too many bubbles rising to the top. It looks pretty close to the homebrew stout I made recently, which is a good sign (at least from my perspective), as it indicates a fresh look overall.

Right at the front of the nose, there are clear signs of coffee notes (in the deep, espresso variety), although most definitely the same earthy phenols resembling Mexican coffee beans. The coffee is rather predominant, and as a result there's hardly any other flavors present left from the roasted malts, yet at least I am picking up interesting smells I haven't gotten yet in a coffee stout, such as chipotle and charred woodiness. Can't pick up any of the chicory, however, which is pretty disappointing as it's advertised by DFH as a stout focusing on this flavor. There's a bit of a caramel finish, and little bit of brown sugar towards the end. While not terrible, I'm still trying to process how this will be in flavor and feel.

The flavor is pretty much more of the same, yet without the desired thick consistency that I enjoy in stouts (especially coffee-infused ones). While it is nearly a sessionable beer, I believe that some extra alcohol on this would definitely enhance the various flavors a bit more, as some extra sweetness would balance out a lot of the charred, smoky bitterness produced by the coffee notes, as well as the excessive graininess. However, I would never in a million years actually directly claim there's anything wrong here that the brewers at DFH didn't intend! This is actually a decent entry-level beer for people wanting a taste of coffee stouts. I do wish there was more spiciness in the flavor as there was in the aroma, as well as more of the chicory or woodiness. It simply feels a little too watered down and excessively grainy at times, which really makes the coffee flavor oppressive in the long run.

This is far from a drain pour or anything, but it definitely feels thinned in some ways. As a near sessionable coffee beer, it works pretty decently, although knowing the wonders DFH can do for body, this could be far more syrupy and wholesome than it is. While the coffee characteristics are pretty spot-on, the rest fizzles out, in the end. (2,616 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -12.8%

Jet black in color with about one finger's worth of head. Some light lace curtains left behind as it recedes. Aroma is very coffee-forward, which works for me. A ton of coffee, backed up by some roasted malt notes. It's not all that complex, but it still smells great.

If only the flavor were as straightforward and punchy... Overall flavor is dry with bitterness picking up on the finish. There's some bittersweet espresso and charred malt, but the flavor just dies from mid-palate to the finish. The initial flavor is quite good, but then it just checks out. Warming improves things slightly but not enough to make much of a difference. Mouthfeel is smooth and weighty enough for a stout, but the bubbles are a bit too prickly.

If everything about DFH Chicory Stout were as good as the aroma, this would be a winner. Look elsewhere for your coffee-forward stout needs. (872 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -17.9%

Not sure why I never tried this beer back in my Dogfish Head phase but I sure am glad I only bought a single. Dark black color with a coffee colored head, not a bone-white head as the label indicated. Aroma is dry stout, coffee, hint of dark chocolate, kinda nice. Flavor has a nice coffee note but then it segues into this weird peppery thing which I guess is the chicory? Either way I don;t like it and I sure would have been sad had I bought more than one. (459 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance - Pours black with a deep ruby hue where light can penetrate. The head is light tan, about 2 fingers thick with fair retention.

Smell - Strong coffee aroma, with lesser notes of milk chocolate, earth and an herbal character.

Taste - Follows the nose, though the coffee flavor isn't as predominant on the tongue as one would derive from the aroma. Chocolate hits mid-taste and into the finish. Earthy. Subtle herbal qualities. Finishes with nice balance.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium in body. Thin for a stout. Fair carbonation. Goes down smooth, though not in a way that's expected of the style.

Overall - Solid flavor, but the body kills it. It's a beer I'd probably give another go, if not for the high price point. (733 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, but not opaque. Hints of ruby red when held up to the light. 2 fingers of a light tan head that dissipated to a thin coating that stuck around through the whole glass and left a fair amount of lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, milk chocolate, slight smoke, fresh coffee.

Taste: Some sweet malt thats pretty well balanced with subtle coffee and smokiness as well as a slight bitterness (from the chicory?). The finish is bittersweet. The flavors aren't super strong but they all seem to work pretty nicely together.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but surprisingly full considering the low ABV. Medium carbonation.

Overall: One of the more underrated offerings from DFH. It doesn't measure up to a FBS or other imperial coffee stouts, but this is still a solid and highly sessionable stout. I wish Dogfish would put this in 6 packs and make it available year round. (890 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Dogfish head does many things right but this isn't one of them. Short on smell, appearance and most importantly taste. By no means is this a bad beer, but in the rehlem of coffee stouts it's unimpressive. Bottom line, it's a fizzy weak coffee stout that just doesn't bring anything unique or different that we usually get from Dogfish Head. Won't be egar to get this again with so many other top notch coffee stouts out there. (426 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance- pours a ruby brown with one finger of light tan foam with some sustain. no lacing

Aroma- Grainy , Hay Slight coffee.

Taste- roasted dark grains at the front that gives way to a dry earthy coffee flavor. Light on the coffee but present in the finish. kind of like a dark piece of whole wheat toast. Hops work well and don't compete with the coffee.

Mouthfeel- Dry and light

Overall- A tasty lighter coffee stout. I think the best way to describe the flavor is the term earthy, but don't mistake that for a "heavy-ness" or "richness". This one is dry and light on the palette and with the lower ABV even somewhat session-able. (642 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: Pours a nice, opaque black with hints of ruby around the edges and a 1 1/2 inch tan and creamy head.

Smell: Not getting too much of a scent before tasting, mostly roasted barley.

Taste: A smoked, woody taste dominates the first sip. Roasted barley, coffee, and a little bit of malty sweetness follow subsequently.

Mouthfeel: It's a rich beer, but it's not overly thick or viscous.

Overall: Obviously not a session beer, it was worth trying. It's not one of my favorites though. (493 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%

Had it on tap at Isaac Newton's in Newtown, PA.
Very dark and opaque appearance.
Very pleasant smell, with coffee notes.
Flavor is generally good, but I'm picking up some sourness. Maybe it is actually bitterness from the chicory?
Mouthfeel is high carbonation for a stout.
Overall not bad, it might be better on nitro. (319 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A. Dark chocolate like black with a creamy muddy head. Nice foamy stick with each drink but it does not remain on the glass for long.

S. chocolate, coffee, licorice

T. Sour and bitter, highly acidic and a drying metallic like mouth feel. Drying black licorice aftertaste.

O. Color me unimpressed with this effort. Unbalanced with some flavored that didn't seem to mesh well. This one was not for me. (403 characters)

Chicory Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery