Indian Brown Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-07-2001

Forget about the car companies, this is the original hybrid. A cross between a Scotch Ale, an India Pale Ale and an American Brown, Indian Brown Ale is well-hopped and malty at the same time (It's magical!).

The beer has characteristics of each style that inspired it: the color of an American Brown, the caramel notes of a Scotch Ale, and the hopping regiment of an India Pale Ale. We dry-hop the Indian Brown Ale in a similar fashion to our 60 Minute IPA and 90 Minute IPA. This beer is brewed with Aromatic barley and organic brown sugar.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Indian Brown Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,979 | Hads: 5,739

Nose is roasty with chocolate, toffee, nutty notes and some coffee. Taste is rich dark chocolate, caramel, toffee, raisins, slight hop bitterness and a little bit of alcohol hidden way in the back. Flavors of caramel and coffee come up on the back end and stick around. I have had this brew a million times and its still one of my favorites. No matter how much my tastes change this one stays delicious.

This is a stunning brew. Just like they say, Dogfish Head has managed to combine the flavors of a brown ale and scotch ale with the hoppiness of an IPA. The appearance is a medium, copper brown with a tan head. The taste is very caramel, with the bite of hops alongside, and the earthy toastiness of a brown ale as well. A tremendous beer from a tremendous brewery.

Raisins, plums, tobacco, leather. Nice aggressive hop characters (for the style) Piney, earthy floral tones. Not your typical brown ale but definitely an interesting take on it. This is a must try and go back for more often.

The Indian Brown is a class above most all Browns out there. The look and feel were on point and the aftertaste delivered better than any Brown I've ever had. You have got to try this beer especially if you like Browns but have not fully committed to craft beer.

Bottled on 07/24/15. Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a snifter at 50F.
Immensely fluffy thick head about 5 fingers thick causes me to make this a two-pour. Fantastic head retention and medium lacing in the beginning. Definitely a dark beer, but not opaque. There's a very unique crimson red glow when held up to the light, but otherwise it looks close to a typical Scotch ale but with much better head characteristics.

I get a sweet red apple scent with maybe a very light scent of bitter coffee, and straight malt. Lastly, there are faint and sporadic, but definitely present whiffs of molasses every now and then, which pop out of the glass and smack me in the nose.

This beer is amazingly silky smooth. Medium mouth feel with medium carbonation. Just very smooth and it seems like the beer permeates every area of my entire mouth the instant it touches my lips. It is certainly lip smacking good.

The flavors in this beer are delicious and unique, yet blended so well that not much 'sticks out' so-to-speak. The hops are moderately bitter and slightly spicy, but sort of neutral in flavor. The bitterness definitely lingers on the palette. As this beer warms, the caramel is coming out and there's this almost cinnamon candy like spiciness (but not flavor) about it. Think apple pie cinnamon. I can't help but feel like this beer would be amazing with a fried apple pie.

Over all this beer is on a whole other level, as with many other Dogfish Head beers. I think it's outstanding, unique, and very drinkable, which is why I give it 5 stars

One of my go to beers. This is a fantastic beer all around. Big malty, chocolatey, toasty notes. A nice hop backbone. This is a perfect Brown Ale, this coming from a person who has a love hate relationship with Dogfish Head beers. 2 Thumbs up!

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a dark brown hue with a thick, tan, 3-finger head that lasts forever, leaves a great trail down the glass, and ends in a fluffy persistent lace.

S: Great malty aroma with alcoholic overtones. It has hints of coffee and cocoa powder in the background.

T: Smooooth dark ale that is slightly sweet and slightly bitter. Nice toasted malt background, with coffee and chocolate overtones. There is a solid alcoholic bite in the end.

M: Strong and boozy. It has a medium body and heavy carbonation.

O: Awesome brown ale. This is a nice sipping beer @ 7.2 % alcohol by volume. This is another winner by Dogfish Head. I can’t believe how smooth this beer is.

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Becoming a stand-by in my collection of beverages...this is the Indian Brown Ale to beat all. Drinks like a fine wine - don't have too many due to the high ABV but ...hey,try to resist. I would call this my "go-to" beverage especially in the winter months when we're staring at the thermometer at 20 degrees. Really takes off the edge. Su-perb and highly recommened. Just get some. You'll see.

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

Sam Calagione, owner of DFH Brewery, called this beer the "unsung hero" of the DFH lineup. At a brewery widely known for its justly-celebrated IPAs, this is the beer most often chosen by the DFH staff when it comes time for them to grab their monthly free cases.

This beer has something for everyone, without sinking to the lowest common denominator in any category. Very accessible, and like SN Pale Ale a great beer with which to introduce your BMC-swilling friends to craft beers. I've got it in my kegerator at the moment and have yet to offer it to anyone that, upon drinking it, hasn't uttered some version of "Holy crap!"

A: A beautiful dark brown, almost black with ruby highlights. A finger of tan head subsides to a lacy covering that sticks to the glass and follows the beer all the way to the bottom.

S: Lots of freshly roasted coffee, hops, dark fruit and toffee. Wonderful, probably the greatest strength of this beer. I'm not sure whether to drink it or just keep smelling it.

T: Follows the nose to a T, but even more so.

M: Pretty crisp for a brown ale, in a good way. Coats the mouth nicely and sticks around for a bit without being obnoxious.

O: Amazingly well-rounded; definately my desert island beer. As arguably the king of the American Browns, this is New England autumn in a glass, while being enjoyable year-round. Are there more earth-shakingly complex beers out there? Of course, but one wouldn't want to drink a big-ass quad or bourbon barrel-ed double stout every day, much less more than one or two in a sitting. This, on the other hand, is very drinkable (although its 7.2% ABV warrants a bit of caution) and, again, has something for nearly everyone.

4.94/5  rDev +20.5%

Very, Very Good. Just what I like. Beautiful dark brown color, nice compact head. Tastes as good as it looks, I am no expert at rating, but the sweet notes are followed by the aftertaste of a great ale. My only regret is that I only bought one bottle today and will have to trek back across town to get more.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

This dark brown beer is superb. The caramelized sugar complement the malt exceptionally! I was not expecting such a clean full flavor. Dogfish Head, you have done it yet again, thank you. The aroma is sweet, yet strong. You can taste some of the toasted elements, and it just the right amount of bitter, while letting the sweetness come to the front. Highly recommend.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Poured into a pint glass and it was very dark brown with little head. You can taste caramel and some sugar but overall has a clean finish was was leaving me for more. You can also smell the caramel so overall a delicious treat. This beer worth recommending. Outstanding beer

4.92/5  rDev +20%

12oz bottle, served in a pint glass.

A - deep, deep brown, almost black in color with a tan head that thinned to a light layer/ring, leaving some trails of lacing on the glass.

S - sweet molases and roasted malt aromas, a 'Porter-like' scent.

T - delicious brew, sweet caramel malt taste upfront, hop bitterness gives a swift kick, balanced out with a roasted coffee bittersweetness on the finish. Excellence!

M - medium/full bodied with crisp carbonation.

D - extremely easy drinking beer, watch out for the abv, and enjoy this brew in moderation or over several hours.

Final Note: Almost Perfect.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

Dark brown to black coloring with tan head. Smells of choclate, malt and caramel. Very sweet smell. One of the most complex beers I have ever had. All at once you will get the sweetness of chocolate, a hint of coffee and caramel. Malt flavors enter you mouth followed by the bitterness of hops. I love the hoppiness of this beer. Many brown ales do not have this hop characteristic, and while this is a personal preference it is one that is welcome. Sweet and bitter all at once.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

I just tried this for the first time the other night and it was incredible. From the first smell of caramel, you know you're in for something good. It's one of the most well-balanced beers I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. It tasted much closer to a stout than I was expecting it too, with strong coffee flavors aromas and flavors. If you haven't had it yet, buy it immediately.

4.88/5  rDev +19%

Let me first say that I'm a BIG beer lover and I have long been searching for a session beer. At 7.2%, it's a bit much perhaps, but, it's so drinkable I WANT to have a few of these in a night, along with a Chocolate Yeti or something truly big. That's good drinking! It's been a long time since I bought a case of any beers, but, I did for this one. To me, it has a near perfect combination of flavors. The malts and hops just blend so perfectly well. Have you ever walked into a brewery and smelled it, and realized you wanted a beer that tastes like THAT smell. Well, here it is! Excellent brew Sam. Excellent.

4.88/5  rDev +19%

I first tried this beer several years ago and have since turned many people on to it. I was looking for a good flavorful beer that wasn't too dark, too bitter, etc - this brown was just perfect. It's one of those beers where the hops/malt ratio is just right. There's definitely a sweet caramel flavor - maybe molasses sort of - but not too strong. It's a dark amber but not overly heavy. It's one of my favorite beers - it's sweet but not overdone and you're left with a great flavor. I can't say enough about what a great job Dogfish Head did on this Ale. Bravo!

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

This beer blew me away from the first site of it. The name Indian Brown Ale lead me to believe I was going to enjoy a solid original Brown Ale, yet I should have known different coming from Dogfish Head. This brew pours beautifully with a decent, reasonably long lasting, thick, cream coloured, head. The head lingers slightly along the sides giving a minor cascading effect. The initial colour is deep, deep, brown then as more is added it becomes an almost black colour.

The aroma is tantalizing... roasted malts with a large hint of chocolate, and small hints of coffee. (I felt like I had walked into a coffee/chocolate shop in France.) The aroma is not sweet however. It is more thick and robust.

The taste is exceptional. This is by far my favorite Dogfish Head Brew. Grabbing the font tastebuds with a burst of rustic nuts, then hitting the back of my mouth with lingering malt, slight alcohol taste. The taste is exceptional for a beer with a decent kick to it. Never would have guessed the alcohol level of this one.

It is thick and packs a bit of a punch which takes away a little from it's drinkability, but for me I could easily find room for one more! This is a must have!

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

I really got started into the whole craft beer market by some tasty brown ales and porters. I've continued onto IPA's , but not to much of a stout fan.

Anyway, this is by far the best high alcohol brown ale I have ever had. Its just so perfect in every way. Absolutely smooth and so enjoyable to sip and swirl.. I plan on using this beer to introduce craft beer virgins into this exciting market. I love the idea of giving these small breweries my money that the giant commercial beer makers out there.

Cheers to Dogfish on making me a so very happy customer with this WONDERFUL BROWN ALE!!!!

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

A deep brown, nearly black color. The head isn't huge, but it's certainly there. The aroma and flavor both have a roasted nuttiness and almost fruitiness to it. There's almost a cooked brown sugar lingering flavor that is a little bitter. It's pretty complex, but the mouth feel is surprisingly light. The alcohol is well hidden, too. Seems pretty similar to a porter and I'm really enjoying it!

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours an auburn brown with a tinge of orange with virtually no head. Smell is a sweet earthy malt/hop balance. Taste is sweet and smoky sticking to the back of the palate, with virtually no hint of the (relatively high) alcohol content. mouthfeel is middle bodied, slightly oily with light carbonation very smooth going down. This highly drinkable brown ale is maybe the best of the best, and I am a huge fan of brown ales.

This past May my girlfriend and I visited DFH in DE, and, after sampling just about everthing on tap, I left with a growler of the Indian Brown Ale (and a bottle of 120 Minute). This beer is one of the many reasons that DFH is IMO in the top ten breweries on the east coast.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Seriously one of the best beers that I've had that gets the perfect balance of hops, alcohol, and flavor that I look for in a beer. It has a strong flavor that is not overwhelming, yet it has a nice kick without that dry alcohol kick afterwords, honestly I feel it is the perfect blend of the two, Only problem is that it's a little hard to come by. I live in the DC area which is relatively close to Delaware, and I've only seen it in a few places. Overall grade from me is an A.

Perfect for the true beer lover, and can go with almost any occasion.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Tried a Dogfish Head Brown Ale at a restaurant last evening.
Very dark for a brown ale in my experience. Similar to a stout or porter in appearance.
Head development was reasonable and depended on how it was poured. Dissipated quickly.
Ah the taste! A touch sweet with just the right amount of bitterness.
Alcohol content 7.5% was appropriate for this time of year in my humble opinion.
Me like for this time of year.

4.84/5  rDev +18%

I let this one warm slightly and served it in my NERAX pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy dark brown with ruby hints. A one-finger, beige head tops the beer and thins to a persistent quarter-inch layer leaving patchy lace.

Smell: Deep roasted coffee and chocolate. Just a hint of fruit and alcohol.

Taste: Sweet chocolate, fruit and caramel upfront. The finish is full of roasted coffee and chocolate bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, full-bodied, smooth.

Drinkability: Incredibly flavorful and delicious.

Overall: This is probably the best American Brown Ale that I've tried. The roasted flavors are bold, but are superbly well balanced by fruity and chocolatey sweetness.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale is a clear, dark, sparkling brown with a dense, bubbly khaki head that has outstanding retention and lacing. It has a roasty aroma with notes of coffee, chocolate, caramel, grass and herbs. It's medium bodied, soft and smooth, with a crisp, dry finish. It has a full roasted flavor; a touch of syrupy sweetness and an herbal, grassy bitterness. There is coffee and dark chocolate at the finish. It's superbly balanced. This is flawless and delicious!

Indian Brown Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery