Indian Brown Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Indian Brown AleIndian Brown Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.20% ABV

Forget about the car companies, this is the original hybrid. A cross between a Scotch Ale, an India Pale Ale and an American Brown, Indian Brown Ale is well-hopped and malty at the same time (It's magical!).

The beer has characteristics of each style that inspired it: the color of an American Brown, the caramel notes of a Scotch Ale, and the hopping regiment of an India Pale Ale. We dry-hop the Indian Brown Ale in a similar fashion to our 60 Minute IPA and 90 Minute IPA. This beer is brewed with Aromatic barley and organic brown sugar.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Indian Brown Ale Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

1.68/5  rDev -59%

Dogfish Indian Brown Ale - tastes like cough syrup

seriously, how anyone can drink this and not think of robitussin is beyond me.
How bad is it? I purchased a crate on recommendation and I'm giving it back to the kid who sold it to me.
I created this account just to post of the experience. Its nasty. Its so nasty this should be a one sentence review and yet I'm hammering out all this whatnot to reach the 250 word minimum.
in a word. its gross.

1.75/5  rDev -57.3%

1.83/5  rDev -55.4%

This beer had the appearance of a brown ale. I have been experimenting with trying different brown ales. I came across this beer. I decided to buy a six pack. When I looked at the beer and poured it, it was clearly a nice brown and heavy beer. I was hoping that i found another good beer however when i took my first sip it was just so bitter. I was hoping for something in the vein of Brooklyn Brown or Newcastle or even a Nut Brown type of ale but it wasn't. To be fair the packaging did say it was hoppy. If you are into the bitter taste then i think you may like it however if you are into a brown ale beer like Newcastle then this isn't for you

2.08/5  rDev -49.3%

Poured into a Corona Extra pint glass. Says bottled on 8/2/11.

A- Pours a borderline opaque black with a 1/4 inch head that drops down to a paper thin head with splotchy bubbles on the surface. Not much lacing.

S- Smells of burnt malts with roasted overtones but not much else. Maybe a little coffee but not enough to be substantial.

T- Eh. More roasty notes but that's all. It's quite overbearing. Like a brown that wants to be a stout. Not sweet like you would expect from a beer made with caramelized sugar. Just a malt bomb with a bit of hops. Not as bad as previous attempts I've made to get into this beer but I still simply can't get down with it.

M- Once again, a stout's flavor with a brown's mouthfeel. Doesn't match up.

O- I've never liked this beer and have always maintained that it's my least favorite Dogfish of all time. This still holds true although I think that reviewing it made me gain a tad bit more respect for it. Still, I'm struggling to not drainpour it.

Indian Brown Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery