Indian Brown Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Indian Brown AleIndian Brown Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.20% ABV

Forget about the car companies, this is the original hybrid. A cross between a Scotch Ale, an India Pale Ale and an American Brown, Indian Brown Ale is well-hopped and malty at the same time (It's magical!).

The beer has characteristics of each style that inspired it: the color of an American Brown, the caramel notes of a Scotch Ale, and the hopping regiment of an India Pale Ale. We dry-hop the Indian Brown Ale in a similar fashion to our 60 Minute IPA and 90 Minute IPA. This beer is brewed with Aromatic barley and organic brown sugar.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Indian Brown Ale Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -34.6%

Well, if it isn't WWS's disabled younger cousin!

While I wasn't much impressed by WWS, I figured maybe this little guy'd be different, plus there was some recent fanfare in beertalk about it,

Not my style at all. The mouthfeel is 'creamy', which I really don't care for.

The taste is brash. The brown malts mix with too much brown sugar. I'm getting dried out and getting a cavity while I drink this beer. The hops try to balance out the malt, but the flavours are too roasted for the hops to really compliment.

Yeah, not my style. I can see a lot of BA's really liking it, but this one sure doesn't.

2.73/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a translucent brown with beige thin head. Slight spotting of the glass. Smells of chestnuts, dark malt.Taste is sour, bitter. Horrid backbite on palate and tounge; this is another brew I am not going to finish! This is my first try of this style, I hope it is not typical!

2.8/5  rDev -31.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours a dark ruby brown with a thin light tan head that quickly diminishes.

The aroma is doughy caramel and toffee with some chocolate, some spiciness comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet and sugary cola, some nutty malts, with a tame spicy hop finish. The alcohol is well hidden, but warming. The mouthfeel is medium bodied but very watery.

Overall, I didn't much care for this. I wasn't too impressed with the flavor or mouthfeel.

2.8/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

No bottle date which could be bad news because brewery said they started dating all bottle two years ago. This beer pours very dark brown. Has a chocolate like smell. The taste is like it smells along with roasted coffee. I can't help notice the alcohol presence. The beer seem lifeless/flat, but it could be due to a very old six pack. I really like brown ales, but this type of brown is not my cup of tea. I hope to find this beer again because I'm sure I purchase an outdated 6-pack which explains my much lower rating.

2.85/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current ratings. Paired with cheese & crackers and pretzel rods.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger head of khaki colour, nice cream, nice thickness, and good retention considering the 7.2% ABV. Colour is an extremely dark caramel-brown. Appealing for the style. Not particularly predictable, but not unique or special. Nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. Non-opaque.

Sm: Cream, nice caramelization (very Scotch ale-esque), dark malts, milk, a hint of roast, nuts, and some light toasted malt character. Resembles the crappy American Guinness from the nitro-can. In a way, that's a compliment. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Caramel, cream, milk, roasted barley, dark malts, pleasant almond and nuts notes, and light toasted character. It's surprisingly simple, but I do like it for what it is. A bit of a tea note rounds out the flavour profile. Hop character is a muted floral. Balanced, but underwhelming. Lacks the subtlety it needs to truly be great. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Too bitter on the climax.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours generally well. The creamy quality it has is nice, but needs to be upped. Nice thickness. Good carbonation.

Dr: A nice offering from Dogfish Head for what it is. I like the experimentation but it honestly feels pretty tame. I might try it on draught (or nitro), but I'm not horribly impressed - par for the course for Dogfish Head. Drinkable. Hides its ABV nicely.

C

Probably closest to a Scotch Ale in my book.

2.85/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Dark brown with some ruby hues and a decent enough beige head that was a thumbs width. A roasty and earthy aroma, definitely get the IPA inflluence in this. That influence is quite prevalent in the flavor too, this is like no other brown I have ever had. To me this tastes like an IPA that a brown ale fell into. Very earthy and floral flavor with the roasted malt mixed in there as well as some coffee. Mouthfeel was very carbonated and active. Personally, not a fan of what is going on here. Executed well, I think, but I just did not like it. To me, I like my brown ales to be creamy, on the rich, sweeter side of things and this beer offer none of that.

2.85/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance: Medium to darkish brown with a small, bone-white head.

Aroma: Lots of malt; sweet and toasty. Slight hop spiciness.

Taste: Sweet malt, with a slight sugar sweetness. Hop flavors present in the finish. Interesting.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat light due to ample carbonation. Quite light and unimpressive finish.

Drinkability: Lacking the character of a DFH brew, IMO. Somewhat bland. Try other DFH offerings before this one.

2.88/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What I like about this beer is that it breaks barriers. Lots more malt than your average brown ale would ever dream about having. Lots more alcohol, too.

But I don't find it particularly enjoyable. There's something in the middle palate of this beer that just doesn't work for me. A sort of medicinal, soury sort of taste. And the alcohol is not well hidden, either. This is the third time I've had this beer (different batches, too) and it just doesn't suit me, unfortunately. I find that sort of sad and suprising, because I love most of DFH's beers. Well, at least they have plenty of other flavors for me to drink!

2.88/5  rDev -29.8%

2.9/5  rDev -29.3%

Ok, I disagree with the hype over this beer. I am a fan of Dogfish and they brew awesome beers but...Aroma and color were ok. The taste was a little different from your usual brown ales. This one was slightly bitter like burnt coffee and left a taste in my mouth that was not pleasant. Don't get me wrong, it is a good job, but just was a little much. I know the abv is high but other beers that I have had with the same or more abv have not had the very noticeable alcohol biy=tterness like this one. Overall, ok but not one of my favorites

2.93/5  rDev -28.5%

I generally love most every dogfish head beer that i choose to ingest- no so with the Indian Brown Ale.

the beer looks good- a medium to dark brown that looks burnt red when held to the light.
The smell and head are promising as you would expect from this brewery.
Consistency is medium for most brown ales.
however there is an overpowering taste of alcohol in the front on the tongue- in my estimation.
to me it is somewhere between the initial taste of a bad barley wine and a homemade brandy.
i really can't get paste the taste of alcohol to judge the taste of the beer much past that. Although, my friends who were drinking didn't seem much to care after the first few it is very effective.

2.98/5  rDev -27.3%

A - Definite nutty/malty hints with an overriding slight scent of alcohol (this is an 8% beer). Slightly pecanish

M - Creamy feel, some body here and about the appropriate amount

A - Deep mahogany, dark reddish. Poured to slight head and dissipated. Getting some lacing on glass as drink down.

T - Malty flavor up front, get the nutty taste. Finishes with a alcohol flavor. Bit disappointed there, I think the alcohol taste is a bit too up front and distracts from the other flavors.

D - Okay, easily have a couple but with that alcohol taste I don't know that I'd want to have too many

O - C+, I think that since it's dogfish head it's likely a fairly well put together beer but it just doesn't seem to 'fit' a nut brown with the alcohol taste which distracts from what it should be

2.98/5  rDev -27.3%

A // Dark brown and good clarity. Nearly white head (if it can be called that, I get no head retention from this foam)

S // Roasted barley and chocolate and coffee like roasted flavors strongly present, and a malty sweetness joined with caramel and maybe brown sugar or maple. A bit of citrus hops present, counterbalancing an otherwise malty nose.

T // Barley and maple syrup provide an adequate sweetness with a drier, roasted and burnt flavor. High dose of hops, and alcohol is very hot, along with some solvent flavor.

M // Syrup seems to be a trend with this beer, because this feels rather viscous going down. That's helped a little by the plentiful hop bitterness.

D // This is pretty hard to finish. Kinda wish the pint was already over.

Indian Brown Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery