Raison D'Être - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-09-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raison D'Être Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Beautiful colour, rich dark golden brown with hints of red and orange.

Nice aroma. Mild yet inviting. Sweet, banana and wine? Mellow, not very strong

Several layers of taste. First smooth, sweet, maybe fruity. Quickly tarts up. Wine, raisin, maybe some caramel.; then alcohol. no mistaking that. Starts smooth, but rather harsh finish'

Mouth feel changed at least three times, I like the complexity from sweet, to smooth, to sharp.;

Like this one. Different, strong, tasty and good. Not a big fan of this brewery, don't get the hype, as good, but not great, but this offering is a winner.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Pours a deep reddish/brown color with a foamy white head. The head disappears quick;y and leaves just some slight lacing.

S - Malty and boozy. There is also a mixture of dark fruits, syrup, and wood.

T - Heavy malt upfront that mixes with molasses and honey. Raisins, figs, and dates provide and muted sweetness. The alcohol is noticeable in the finish but not as boozy as I would have expected from the nose.

M - Carbonation is high and provides a little sting on the tongue.

D - DFH makes beers that you usually love or hate. This one is different for me as I see it as middle of the road. However, it is goof enough that I would like to drink more than one.

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Poured into a glass looks very similar to an amber lager but with a head that has slight yellow to it.

S- Scents of malt, with some darker fruits.

T- Darkly sweet, Cherries, dates, raisins, candi; tastes like the scent.

M- Medium body and medium carbonation

O- Overall this is an okay beer taste like it would be better with more aging.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Dark copper color with a beige foamy head that runs away quickly. Aroma is plentiful - sweet and rich, with malt, fruit and alcohol. Flavor likewise is rich and sweet. Tastes malty with hints of apricot and honey, and a bit of yeast. Mouthfeel is lacking. It's slick and watery with low carbonation. Drinkability is on the low side due to the overly sweet flavor and unappealing mouthfeel.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

This particular brew poured a small white head with small bubbles. The body was mahogany in color and there was no lacing on the sides of my glass. I sensed an aroma of raisins with this brew and the flavor had a hint of smoke. All in all, not a bad drink.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Dark redish amber... Transparent, but looks quite thick... Nice head...

S - Sugar w/ mild hops... A little underwhelming...

T - Expected sweet... Got the bold hoppiness of a very unique blend...

M - Great balance and texture... Coats the mouth very well... Thick...

D - A unique well crafted and complex brew... A would drink again because I think I could find new complexity each time I indulged, but not a session beer...

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer was unique and certainly gratifying, though not exceptional. The pour had surprisingly little head. The taste was a sharp mixture of hoppy and sweet, and the green raisins did not compromise the drinkability of the beer. As usual with Dogfish Head, the beer had a higher ABV content. In congruence with the light redness of the beer's color, the spices and woody structure of the beer did not disappoint, however the flavors were particularly abrasive.

This beer was not a classic Belgian Strong Dark Ale by any means, but displayed gestures more prominent in the hoppiness of an IPA or the fruitiness of a cider beer. A solid offering from a fantastic brewery.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Dunno if this one changes by season; my glass was bottled in Nov. '05.

Appearance: Very clear amber/copper with yellowish off-white head.

Smell: Yeasty. Maybe some very mellow goldings or fuggles. A bit of sulphur? I could be making that up.

Taste: ah, there are the esters. Attack is a nice rounded malty sweetness, followed by subtle bready/malty tastes. The alcohol makes an appearance in there somewhere, but it's not "hot" for an 8.0.

Mouthfeel: a little thin considering how bold the tastes are; feels somehow insubstantial. Carbonation burns a little at the end, but again I just don't feel the high alcohol.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

This is my second Dogfish Head type that I have had the privilege of enjoying.The first was their pumpkin ale, which I can say is up there as one of the creamiest beers I have had. Whenever this brewery ever got mentioned at another forum, someone in particular always raved about this brew. So, I thought it was about time I reviewed one.
Served between 45 and 50 degrees F in my trusty pint glass, listening to Nachtmystium's "Instinct:Decay".
First things first... the off-white, bubbly head got up to about 2cm, settled to 1 cm after a couple minutes, a very thin layer after 5 mins, and nothing when I got to the bottom of my glass. However, this was the result of a vigorous pour, so my opinion is not stellar. The color was a very deep bronze/rust color in the shade, and a dark brownish red when held up to light. The lacing (when it was around) fell very slowly, but was quite minimal and patchy.
The last beer I reviewed was a belgian style very similar to this one, and shared some of the same rum-soaked fruit scents. This, however, was much more mellow and quite subtle.
In many reviews I have read, people claim this beer is a bit too alcoholic in flavor. I don't see it though. Yes, the warmth is certainly here, but it seems to be disguised by an indistinguishable pallet (to me, anyways) of dark fruit. The taste started off as a crisp, refreshing sweet (I would say like soda, but again... "mellow" is the name of the game here) that was overcome by the signature darker fruits and slight spiciness towards the finish. However, I want to say that somewhere in there I acutely detected something "brighter", more along the lines of Banana. Throughout the duration of each sip there was also both roasted and slight brown sugar flavors. Tiny bit of bitterness, not too bad though. very rich... I can actually see how this may be an acquired taste.
I like the stickiness of this beer. It wasn't too much where it leaves the candy-like syrupy feeling in back of your throat lingering for too long, but was still enough to please me. It also was not too heavily bodied, which means that even though the flavor is pretty unique, it doesn't hurt the overall drinkability too badly. Can't wait to have something else by this brewery in the future.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a pilsner glass, which is blasphemous, I know. But they're new (my wife bought them for me), they look really cool and I like drinking from them. Poured a beautiful brown with a thick, frothy head that left a skim of crema-like head on top. A quick swirl brings back the thick head. The ale has a nice clarity without any visible carbonation.

The aroma is sweet like a dark fruit, perhaps figs, dates or, as it claims, raisins. There's something else there that I don't identify as alcohol until I taste it. The taste is very sweet, but not cloyingly so. I think I would have been able to identify it as Belgian without having to read it's a Belgian dark strong ale. The only other guess I can think of would have been a very unusual brown ale. I'm not experienced enough to distinguish a Belgian dark strong ale from a dubbel. Perhaps the Belgian dark strong ale lacks a hop presence. This ale definitely lacks a hop presence. There is an alcohol presence, but again not too much. The alcohol offers a spice that tries to balance the sweetness. The sweet fruity taste hits me first and then the spiciness follows through to the finish. Raisin D'Etre is a sipper, for sure.

The mouth feel is more carbonated than it looks and is pretty heavy on the palate. The extra bit of unexpected carbonation helps this along and contributes to its overall enjoyment.

Overall, I liked this beer. It's different, but based on the reviews I read I thought I would hate it. It turns out to be a pleasant surprise. I like the choice of malts and the way the roasting highlights them. I can imagine some might find this a little too sweet, but for me the spicy alcohol balances it enough that I enjoy it. Thankfully, I have another bottle; I would like to try this on-tap.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz bottle, bottled December 30, 2005, apparently. I like when I can remember what I was doing the day that a beer was bottled. This has no effect on my rating but I just wanted to mention that. I was at work at the library, entering an audio verison of To Kill A Mockingbird into the catalog....

"A deep mahogany ale, brewed with Belgian beet sugars, green raisins, and a sense of purpose."

And in case anyone was wondering, Raison D'Être is a term for a sense of purpose. Literally translated from French, "reason for existence," or something like that.

OK, enough pretentiousness. It pours a deep, rich mahogany, good enough for Ron Burgundy's apartment (sorry, couldn't resist). Head is thin and white and doesn't get comfortable.

Smell is weakly of alcohol. Palate is same with undertones of dark malts, and dates/raisins. The alcohol is pretty dominant. Afterwards, a creamy sensation lingers, which I happen to like.

Not what I expected, but I'm not complaining. If I have one complaint, it's that the alcohol is pretty obvious. What I like about this beer is the creaminess, and the stickiness of my lips that results from drinking it. I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer wasn't bad, a hint of raisins in the back round with some caramelized malts. Nicely complex and balanced. very interesting and a little different. Has decent head and retention. Has a nice smell, but it's faint. Mouthfeel is nice and crisp, but could be a little bit thicker. This beer is easy to drink, but I don't think I'd make a sessionout of it. It's ok to have a couple of though. this is the most popular dogfish beer in lubbock, but it's no where near my favorite of their brews.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Reviewed through the miracle of BIF 43 NC Lotto and hoppedup.

Pours a clear brown ale with a very slight head formation. When held up to the light this is bronze colored ale with maybe a little extra red to it.

Smell is sweet malty and bready yeast to the nose. Fair whiff of coffee aroma from dark malt and apple and grape aromas. Toffee, butterscotch and some scorched sugar aromas are also in this. Alcohol is detectable in the smell, but it carries pepper, roses and peach aromas to the nose.

Taste is sweet and a little bready at the start. A mild flavored ale the first thing that gets my attention is a little coriander and coffee and smoke flavor. Fairly malty but this seems a bit under flavored.

Mouthfeel is good.

This is certainly a drinkable beer but I really expected more from DFH. The flavor is just too mild for my tastes.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer pours a deep amber color with an off-white head that sticks around for most of the time. There is a dark fruity smell, combined with big malts and an alcoholic tinge at the back end.

I wasn't sure what type of beer this was when I tried it, but I would not have guessed a Belgian Dark. It doesn't seem to have the Belgian spice character or the earthy hops. That's not to say it's a bad brew though, because I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is a huge malt character up front, with rich, dark sweetness coming through, and a mild hop presence to balance it out. Then there is a big, warming alcoholic finish to prove this beer means business.

Mouthfeel is medium, somewhat creamy and very smooth. However after even one, the sweetness and alcohol start to wear down your tastebuds. Overall this is another winner from DFH, but not quite on par with other Belgian dark ales out there.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Smells of many things..hints of coffee and brown sugar and butterscocth. Poured into..what else..a Raison D'Etre goblet. Had it for a while but never tried the beer. Pours to an opaque medium brown that lets slight light through. Taste is very complex. Heavy texture and sweet but also sour. Malty with only trace hops evident. The AC is evident but not overly so. The lacing is incredible, looks like wine, the best i've ever seen. This is a delight in a goblet. Dogfish continues to delight.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours a nice deep maroon color with a small white head that dissipates quickly but leaves a little lacing. Smells of fruit dominated by raisins. Tastes of raisins and slight grape taste with some wine-like hints. Beer is carbonated correctly, goes down smooth with only a slight taste of fruit aftertaste. Overall, a very good beer.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

12 ounce bottle sampled form a Piraat glass.

Pours a light brown/amber color. From the bottle there is a good amount of carbonation, but as the beer settles, that head fades quickly to almost nothing.

The aroma is kind of winey. Lots of malt in the nose, cinnamon, brown sugar, grapes, plum, hard candy, and perhaps some hops in the background, but not too present at all...somewhat reminds me of spiced rum.

The up front is on the bitter/sour side with citrus puckering notes. There is also a rich sweetness in there as the beer warms and coats the palate. The sweetness seems to come in the form of sugar flavors, as well as some white grape juice. There is some spice there, too...cinnamon for sure.

Overall, a unique beverage, but not one that is particularly drinkable. The 8% ABV is masked quite well underneath the flavor of the beer, and is not overwhelming at all. The flavors linger for some time, and the beer finishes with some interesting elements.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a - Deep Mahogany as the bottle suggests. 1 Finger head from a strong pour settles to a film, then a ring. Looks very nice.

s - Smokey, Raisin. A little different, a little funky, but intriguing.

t - The Raisins are there for sure. Hops are very subtle and there is a dry smokey flavor, a little grainy. Alcohol is detectable but not strong. Just like it smells, a little weird, different than anything I've tried but not unpleasant and quite complex. Tastes like a Belgian Dark Ale with a twist.

m/d - Not real thick or syrupy, not too thin. Tasty enough, but at 8% and with it being a little unique it's a sipper and I'd only have one. Not an all night session beer but I'd drink it again.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

The label is copyrighted 1999, with the 7 etched off. So I don't know how old this beer is. Pours a very hazy dark amber copper. Small head fades quickly into a lace on the edge of the glass. Nose is very malty, the darker ones because I'm picking up a hint of coffee. Dark fruits and the alcohol is quite noticable. First sip, light-moderate carbonation. Wow this beer is interesting. Very malty, pretty strong sweetness. It is also hopped just right. Light bitterness is present in the entire sip. Finishes dry and lightly bitter, and you can definitely feel the alcohol evaporate off the inside of your mouth when you exhale. It definitely warms me up. Great for a desert beer, but I don't think it classifies as a Belgian ale.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer was given to me as a sample from Vecenie Dist. when I was picking up my beer order.
this beer pours a dark amber color with a beige 1" head that quickly disappeared. there was very little lacing through the ingestion of this tasty brew. sour grapes and alcohol dominate the palate but, with a bitchin' warming effect that follows all the way to the belly. I enjoyed this beer and would recommend and try it again. maybe not a beer that i would wack down a 12 pack of but, a great sipper nonetheless.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

You gotta hand it to the boys at DFH for trying new things. Sometimes they may go a bit too far, and I think this is one of those occasions. It is not a bad beer, but its novelty wears off quickly. Pours a medium brown with zero head. And I mean zero. Smell is of raisons and alcohol. Taste is pretty much the same. Very sweet. At first the melding of the raisons and the belgian beer sugars is interesting, but eventually it kinda overpowers your taste buds. The alcohol is very evident... not bad on a cold winters day, however. This stuff I've found is better on tap. Out of the bottles its just too syrupy.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

I understand the reviews on here do not seem to be the best, but i enjoy this beer...much different than the hop dominated brews i typically search for...

Pours a dark brown with a minimal white/yellow head...very clear and looks a tad amber in the light...Smells of chocolate, white grapes, and almonds...A rich taste with its distinct raison-ish aftertaste...Give it a second, at first you may not enjoy it, but it gets better once the brew warms slightly in the glass...This beer is slightly bitter, and I'm not sure it's supposed to be...

Let this beer warm a bit and you'll enjoy it more...

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a clear, relatively dark amber color with a head that disappears rather quickly; some strands of lacing are left behind

Smell: Caramel, figs and prunes with an edge of cinnamon

Taste: Relatively sweet caramel, up front, with the fig and prune flavors and hot cinnamon developing through mid-palate; after the swallow, just a little too alcoholic, but still shows off the dried dark fruit

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: For a Belgian dark, this lacks the caramel malt and dark fruit complexity that I associate with the style; an interesting experiment, but there are other Belgian darks that I prefer more

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a nice mahogany brown with a nice reddish hue. Pretty small head on this one which was disappointing. Pretty good lacing along the edge after each drink though.

Smelled some grape, raisin, and maybe some plum? Definitely sweet smelling for sure.

Nice velvet-like quality to the mouthfeel; nice and smooth. Slight metal bite for the first few sips. This gives way to the taste of raisins and licorice. This brew reminds me of wine for sure. There is little burnt taste on the finish.

This beer is different than any thing else I've ever tried, for which I am very glad I did give this a go, but I will probably not visit this again anytime soon. Not bad, just different.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet. It pours a dark ruby color, smallish off-white head. It appears to be filtered as there is not cloudiness in the beer. It's alright, but nothing outstanding on the eye.

The smell is a little confusing, but I like it. Definite darker fruit smells, plums and raisins. There is also a little caramel malt in there, like there's some brown ale influence.

The taste is more of the same, raisins mixed with the malty flavors, but the hop presence comes out much more on the tongue than the nose. It tastes more like a Belgian ale than it smells. I like it, but still not top notch.

No complaints about the mouthfeel, but I can't see throwing these back. It's hard for me to define 'drinkability' with a beer like this, but it doesn't make me excited to dirnk another, I'd rather move on to something different, so I can't give it too high of a score.

Raison D'Être from Dogfish Head Brewery