Raison D'Être - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-09-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raison D'Être Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,240 | Reviews: 1,775
4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

A - Pours a rich mahogany brown with a dense off white head.

S - Plum, raisin, Belgian candi sugar, roasted malts, molasses.

T - Taste is a blend of dark fruit, molasses, candi sugar, and bready malts. Earthy, mildly bitter hops come out, balancing the sweetness. Finish is nutty with hints of nutmeg and allspice.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, a bit creamy. High carbonation, slightly warming alcohol.

O - Decent brew. While it's not the most complex Belgian strong ale around, it still has great flavor and drinkabilty. Definitely worth my drive over 800 miles.

3.96/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottled 11/16/11. Served in a Westy chalice.

Pours with a beautiful two-finger head of delicate taupe foam. Lacing etches a bit. The body is cloudy red-brown with a warm shade exhibited.

Medicinal phenols and dark fruitiness. Beet-y root vegetable sweetness, fig, dark raisin, toffee, clove, malt creaminess, candi sugar, nutty esters, antiseptic, and dark rum/molasses. Lots of dark fruit with an herbal quality.

Retains subtle sweetness with deep dark fruits and dried fruit/trail mix notes. Beet sugars keep that vegetal note intact, but the boast of fig and raisin flavors have evolved into a complex fruit element that includes plum, date, and dried apricot. More of that intense clove-y phenolic character with a cough medicine vibe. Carbonation is soft-medium and fills out a hefty body mouthfeel. Booze is totally a non-factor. This beer really aged well. I rather enjoy it.

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle from Total Wine (Kennesaw, GA). 2.29. Bottled 11/12/13. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours a transparent deep mahogany red with a half finger pale head that quickly fades to a thin halo and leaves small splotches of lace.

The advertised beet sugar and raisins seem apparent in the aroma. Sweet sugars, dark fruits and caramel.

A very malt forward beer. Caramel malts, raw natural sugar, dark fruits, toffee, a slightly funky but mellow Belgian yeast element, faint honey and just a trace tickle of alcohol towards the finish. Straight forward but quite approachable.

Medium body with fair carbonation. Toffee, caramel malts and raisins in the aftertaste.

An all around solid brew. It's not the biggest, boldest, most complex or best BSDA but this really is a smooth, tasty and easy drinking beer. Good to know that it's year round, available and affordable.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: A beautiful beer, indeed. Brilliant in clarity, and dark amber in color. The head is a massive off-white cream puff with magnificent staying power. Fantastic for the style. I can't help but give it a top score. Why not?

Smell: Before I read the bottle, I could smell the green raisins (I call them golden raisins). I was perplexed, as it was not a scent I was used to in a beer. Then I read the bottle and was delighted that my sense of smell was so right on! Bright C-hops were nicely balanced with toffee, dates, and toasted malt. Lovely.

Taste: The long lasting foam has a flavor of brown sugar and prunes. As the head settles and the beer warms, it proves itself to be very malt-forward. The complex toasty, chocolate, and slightly roasted malt is highly drinkable, and does not distract from the flavors mentioned earlier. A mild bitterness is most apparent upfront, then relaxes later on. Less complex than some strong dark ales, but in an impressive way: the balance is impeccable, and the malt complexity stands on its own--it doesn't need big helpings of melanoidins and esters to draw one in. There is, however, a slight medicinal flavor that appears to come from alcohol rather than infection, and is somewhat distracting at times.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel, with medium carbonation. While the body is not thin, there is a watery texture that sneaks in there and detracts from the overall impression. Alcohol warming is light.

Overall: A very well balanced strong dark ale that really showcases malt complexity. There are a few elements that detract from the overall impression, such as the watery texture and the hint of cough syrup in the flavor. Still, a very well done version of the style that doesn't need to try too hard to impress. Would recommend this to someone just starting to get into big beers.

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Poured into a glass looks very similar to an amber lager but with a head that has slight yellow to it.

S- Scents of malt, with some darker fruits.

T- Darkly sweet, Cherries, dates, raisins, candi; tastes like the scent.

M- Medium body and medium carbonation

O- Overall this is an okay beer taste like it would be better with more aging.

3.91/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I hate the fru-fru name, but I like the beer. The brew is sweet and heavy with raisins, dried plum and cherry, becoming a little “boozy” with some additional malty breadiness as it warms. It’s not something I’d have every day, but I’d enjoy it as a dessert drink on a cold winter's evening (when I had a designated driver).

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. The pour is a very nice looking clear mahogany with a thin lacing of foam on top. Lots of sweet fruit notes on the nose. Grape juice comes to mind. There is also a nice rich bready component to the aroma as well.

Nice medium body and a deliciously rich, sweet flavor. Lots of fresh bread and sweet fruit up front, most notably grapes, pears, and plums. The flavors dry out a bit at mid-palate and finish mild with just a touch of herbal spice. Very drinkable, but a bit bland on the back of the palate.

I don't know how many times I passed on this one. Finally, it was offered at my weekly beer tasting. I liked it and decided to take some home. Very glad I did. I assumed it was categorized as a fruit/vegetable beer. When I tried it, I thought it's flavor profile reminded me a lot of a dubbel, only lacking some of the rich maltiness. When I saw this was a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, I definitely agreed. It's a very nice beer and I'm glad we have a brewer like DFH who is willing to constantly try new things.

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a really great beer to drink by itself. If I just want to sit down and have a beer this is a goto of mine. The beer is tasty and has a complex flavor to it. It can be enjoyed like you would enjoy a good wine. It pairs will with steak. I haven't had it on tap yet, but look forward to when I will.

3.42/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: pours a ruby brown with little to no head. All one gets is a small swirl of foam.

S: Cherry and licorice. Malts and some yeast.

T: a distinct cherry licorice taste come forward. Then one gets a warm alcohol flavor.

M: medium body and carbonation but a definite alcohol profile is present.

O: I didn't know what to expect from this beer. This style is not one I would have expected from DFH, but I was intrigued. It seems to miss the mark a little. It is not a beer a beer I will revisit, but I am glad I gave it a try. DFH has almost always been a go to brewery for me, but I will pass on this in the future.

3.84/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Poured into a DFH snifter. Pours a murky dark brown with orange-ruby edges, and a finger-and-a-half head of fine bubbles that quickly diminishes to a half-finger cap. Visible carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet, bready malt notes dominate, slight roasty character, sugary and yeasty notes noticeable as well.

Taste: Mostly the same dark, bready, almost puddingy malt notes that were present in the aroma, followed by a slight spiciness. Finishes sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, light but lively carbonation. Dangerously drinkable for 8%.

Overall: An enjoyable if somewhat simple take on the Belgian Strong Dark style.

3.11/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard Dogfish Head label and branded copper pry-off pressure cap acquired as part of a 6 pack at me local HEB Grocery and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average given the brewery - which tends to disappoint. 8% ABV confirmed per the label. Reviewed as a Belgian style brown ale because it identifies as such on Dogfish Head's website.

Served cold, straight from me fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of light khaki colour. Okay thickness and creaminess. Lackluster frothiness. Little lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is average - about two minutes.

Body colour is a clear dark amber of above average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Translucent and transparent. By no means brown in colour, nor is it as dark as most Belgian style dark ales. Not sure what to make of that, but it's appealing in a general sense.

Nonstandard for the style. Not unique or special, but there are no obvious flaws here. I'm optimistic.

Sm: Raisin, prune, amber malts, and beets - but I only notice beets because I'm looking for them; if I had this blind I wouldn't have thought to say beets. Caramel. Light floral hop character is present and seems to complement the malts nicely. I do get a clean tannic Belgian yeast. Lots of residual sugars bring this beer to the sweeter end. A buried hint of murky cherry. Toasted sugars. I like the fruity notes. Raisin is dominant. Sugarcane imparts a note redolent of rum.

Overall, it's a pleasantly sweet aroma of mild strength.

No alcohol or other off-notes are detectable.

T: Rum-soaked fruits: prune, dates, raisin. Plenty of sugarcane and other residual toasty sugars. Amber malts, caramalt, and Belgian malts fill out the body nicely. Beet sugar definitely comes through - though I wouldn't have been able to identify quite what that note was blind. Vague burgundy/red wine hints. Clean Belgian yeast. It's definitely sweet, but it never quite becomes cloying. As it warms, I get a buried grape note. It has nice cohesion and decent balance, but it's certainly not gestalt. Overall, it has some limited complexity, but would benefit from more. Not the most subtle flavour profile either.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour for the style.

No alcohol off flavours come through, aside from a vague alcohol presence - which passes the point of being simply a pleasant warmth and does start to annoy.

It's not really a Belgian dark ale, nor is it a Belgian brown. It's sort of a Belgian dark amber, if you please.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Overcarbonated. A bit too thick and full for the flavour profile; it's not an ideal marriage of texture to taste by any stretch. But it's passable and suits the flavour profile passably. Decent body and presence on the palate.

Not oily, harsh, gushed, or hot.

Dr: A drinkable beer, but the alcohol presence does hold it back. I wouldn't have more than one in a night, but I'm enjoying this one for what it is. I will say that while it's not unique, I can't readily think up a beer I've had that is exactly like it. I'd like to see the brewers commit more to the rum aspect of the beer; barrel aging would be an obvious approach, but there are probably more subtle ways of emphasizing the strength of the flavour. The more I drink of this, the more the sweetness annoys me. It's a decently priced beer, but I won't be buying it again, nor would I recommend it to friends. Above average overall; it's got unfulfilled potential.

I'd like to try it with 1-5 years of age on it; it's got plenty of residual sugars that would develop over time - though I'm not sure if it's got active yeast.

C+

3.96/5  rDev +8.2%

The Raison D'Etre poured a deep mahogany with a fruity, malty aroma. It tasted like a sweet Belgian Dubbel with a rich and deep flavor that hints at raisins, sweet dark fruits, and a bit of caramel malt. I enjoy a good Belgian Dubbel and the Raison D’Etra hit all the right notes for me. It is a unique and complex brew that I have no trouble enjoying.

2.77/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I came back to try this after a year of reading and writing reviews on BA. I dont like it any better now that I have a smarter palette. It's nothing like a true belgian strong ale.

A: Poured bottle into pint glass. Head rose up tan over a brown ale body, didnt last, didnt lace. Not loving the color or the vitality of the pour.

S: Some wrote gum and candy, with solvent. I just dont get any real organic, fruit or grain off this beer. It's a bit industrial. More toward a badly made scotch ale (not my fave style) and nothing like a delicious strong belgian ala Chimay.

T: Follows the smell down the hole. bubble gum, candy rack, spray and wash. (ie a solvent). Industrial more than organic/ natural. Dont even think about it with food. A bit of dark fruit and raisin, prune, spice. No real sense of malt and hops, and syrupy, cloying.

M: sticky, doesnt leave mouth in a great place.

Y! answers wrote: "Golden raisins and green raisins are often bleached with sulfur dioxide Both sulfuric and tartaric acid may induce electrical currents.... A sort of "metal-and-acid battery" effect."

Acid battery - took the words out of my mouth.

This beer should be retired. I havent liked DFH across the board so far. Has a refined, industrial trend with not really inviting aromas that this beer is most guilty of.

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Raison d’etre
DFH
20130808
12oz to libbey Belgian
8% ABV
Bottled on 05/03/2013

A – Clearish yet dark amber color, not very translucent due to the dark color. Billowy yellowish-khaki head. Bubbles excitedly rising from the tulip’s bottom. The lacing as I drink is thick where it sticks.

S – Belgian candy sugars and some dark fruits, with some earthiness and spices. Very nice. Dark cherry and licorice, perhaps some fig; also a bit of alcohol. The smells mingle together nicely.

T – The Belgian dark ale flavors are all there, and the only thing that’s in excess for me are the spices (at first). It’s quite sweet, this sweetness and the dark fruit being the main flavors. It doesn’t quite taste full Belgian because it doesn’t have the breadiness I associate with Belgian ales, but it’s close. The alcohol doesn’t start biting till it warms a bit more, and it’s like a love nip. As it warms, some breadiness comes out; it had previously been hidden by the sweetness. I can easily see people thinking this is too sweet. While it approaches too sweet, it’s still fine by me. At the end of the glass the alcohol does bite, but if you drink this in its sweet spot (like I mostly did) it’s great.

M – A tingly softness during the sip but sits pretty soft on the palate, though it’s not velvety. Nearly heavy-bodied, I’m guessing from residual sugars. In the cheeks it’s a little pointed, I think from alcohol. Slightly dry finish, more so on the tongue.

D – This is a great substitute for a Trappist beer, and the mouthfeel makes it somewhat refreshing despite being a BSDA. Even though it’s quite sweet, I could see myself having 2 or 3 in a night. It’s a nice break from the hoppier beers I’ve been drinking lately.
Caveat: Once it passes the sweet spot the alcohol come out and alters it quite a bit negatively. Let warm for 13 minutes (from fridge) before opening.
4.5, 4.5, 4.25, 4.25, 4.5; 4.35.

picked up a sixer from Moe's on center street ,jupiter ,fla

pours a nice 3-4" head with fine carbonation , belgian candies,cherry, raisin nose
and some hops i can't identify that are very mild
is it a chimay or ommegang ? no but it's right up there with them
the brewmaster knows his stuff at Dogfish head nothing to overwhelming , and as you drink it you'll notice the various barleys and belgian candies /yeast they do took good care in selecting, go on by as one flavor arrives and previous leaves, with a good belgian candy finish.
It has been awhile since i have had a different belgian style ale from another brewer who is what it claims, so many have claimed they are Belgian Ales and they are not, this is,and expensive to make !
This is a very good ale
will i buy another ? yes

3.41/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Rich amber color, brilliantly clear. Pours a fairly large, tan colored head. Creamy and with good retention.

Bit of a toffee, plum kind of aroma. Sweet, but with a little extra. Liquorice.

Rich tasting and sweet. Big malt with some malt complexity, a bit of spiciness (pepper), turns slightly bitter and much drier in the finish. Flavors of the finish are somewhat unpleasant, with an out of place bitterness

MF - Medium body and carbonation, no astringency. Some alcohol warming. A bit drying on the tongue.

Overall - has some nice elements, but the flavors lingering in the finish detract.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

Its too sugary for me and I usually like sweet things. I love me some dogfish head but the taste could have used a little less sugar. The alcohol is pretty well masked by the flavor. You will feel the 8% hit you after you finish your beer. :)

My reviews are more mental notes for me. I don't really care about smells, appearance, etc. Just the overall taste.

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this on-tap at the Falls Church Alehouse.

Served in a DFH pint.

A: Poured a ruby red color, pretty clear, and with a slight head but not much.

S: Smelled like cherry lollipop with a bit of Belgian funk. Nice, and devoid of anything boozy.

T: Definitely beet sugar upfront, however, can't say DFH didn't warn me. This sorta reminded me of Troegs "Mad Elf." Despite the Belgian character here, it didn't overwhelm in any way.

M: Mild prickle, sweet but not offensive, and with a yeasty flair overall.

O: This one took me a while to get use to I guess because I used to tell people I hated it. It's been a couple of years.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

From the tap, tasted over 15 minutes.

The appearance is the highlight of this product--a showy leather brown--truly lovely in color. Not much head, though, nor does the thin beret stay in place long.
The smell is musty and isopropanolic with soft raisins.
There is obvious raisin in the taste profile, too, with an off sour back half.
Drying bronze tongue heavy on carbonation. It's difficult to separate from the gangly flavor experience, but this brew lays out very nicely over the tongue and teeth with a nice splash of warmth.
I wish I could get excited, but once again, it's style above substance in Milton--this is certainly not the reason why beer exists.

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brown amber color with a thin head with low retention.
Fruity aroma of figs, raisins, molasses and caramel. Hints of earthy hops, booze and condiments.
Flavor of grapes, brown sugar, raisins which are quite predominant here, dates, Caribbean rum, plums and toasted malts. Hints of pepper, earthy hops and cinnamon. Dry aftertaste with a relatively good bitterness.
Medium body with good carbonation. Alcohol of 8% ABV is completely hidden in its taste.
Complex with a very unique flavor, it felt to me like a mix of an English Bitter, a Brown Ale and a Belgian Dark Ale. Interesting beer, especially if you are in the mood for trying something different.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A-Amber color, dark, almost no head retention for me.
S-Fruity, musty smell. I can smell the alcohol.
T-It tastes strong, slight fruit, a hint of wine-like grape
M-Carbonation is a little much for me, lots of bubbles
O-I remembered this beer to be better than I thought. Try it, I don't think it is for everyone.

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - One finger off-white head. Very foamy and thick. Glowing garnet dark liquid filled with tons of bubbles. Head retention is nice, and lacing is OK.

S - Cherries and dates you can smell from across the room while pouring. Dark fruit and Belgian candi sugar, but lighter smelling than a double. Mild toast.

T - Darkly sweet, with a tiny hint of sourness. Cherries, dates, raisins, candi; tastes like the nose, really. A bit of a nuttiness present, as well.

M - Lovely medium feel. Small amount of alcohol warmth.

O - Sometimes, I just don't agree with the ratings; this is one of those times. I was thoroughly impressed with this beer the first time I tried it, and nothing has come along to change my mind. This is a lovely and balanced brew - if slightly one-dimensional.

3.19/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The aroma is the only thing that I found slightly attractive. The immediate taste is strong raisin taste, almost like eating a handful of raisins that have been sitting out in the sun all day. 240 calories per bottle with 8% ABV. Not an IPA fan at all and this has a similar strong bitter flavor.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had been wanting to try something from Dogfish Head for a while, and, not in the mood for a bitter IPA at the time, I went ahead and got a six-pack of these brews, party because I wanted a brown ale and partly because I was lured in by the claim on the package which said it was the American beer of the year for the year 2000. My experience below.

Poured from a bottle into a snifter, I ended up with about a finger of off-white head which foamed up and then dissipated in the span of about thirty seconds. What's left is some thin but persistent lacing. The beer itself is a nice dark copper/amber that is crystal clear with minimal carbonation. When held to the light it looks almost like strongly brewed iced tea.

With smelling I got an immediate whiff of grapes, somewhat reminiscent of a wine, which makes some sense since this is brewed with raisins. I also get some caramel and butterscotch and a little bit of malt, and the ghost of an earthy smell. The smell translates quite well to the palate; raisins are the first thing I taste, and after holding the beer in my mouth for a little bit I can taste alcohol just a bit, since this is a relatively high alcohol beer (8% ABV, wowzers.) After swallowing the flavor becomes more complex, leaving a nice caramel and just a tiny bit of chocolate, and also a nice hint of earth and bitterness from the hops. This beer definitely prefers to overpower the palate at first and then slowly reveal its character. Mouthfeel is nice, smooth and clean immediately, but after a few moments it foams up and becomes less smooth, while also burning a little bit from the alcohol and carbonation.

Overall this is a pretty nice beer, but I feel like they could have toned down the abject sweetness just a tad and it would have worked a little better; that raisin flavor is just too much to handle when it smacks you in mouth, but this beer is also a grower. I was very off-put on my first bottle, but after subsequent drinks I've come to like this a little more. I would drink it if offered, but probably won't be buying again. That said, I appreciate what the guys at Dogfish Head were trying to do; I just feel like they could have executed a little bit better.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is a big beer. Immediately you'll smell the strong alcohol and (excessively) sweet notes but with a touch of raison as promised. The taste is more of the same, with the alcohol not so well concealed and the sugar flavor a bit too dominant. However, the raison flavor lingers in the background and works. The mouthfeel is sticky and the beer is medium bodied. Overall, a pretty good sipping beer, and at 8% ABV you're going to want to sip it slowly.

The label states that the beer has a "sense of purpose", and I don't know what the purpose is, but whatever it is, this beer might have a bit too much of it.

Raison D'Être from Dogfish Head Brewery