Raison D'Être - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-09-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raison D'Être Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a dark dirty brown with not much head. Looks like cola with its bubbles and Color.

Smells really great with dark fruits, sweet Malt, and brown sugar cane.

Taste starts with a sweet brown sugar and dried fruit medley. Really rich, but could get tiring if drinking more than one.

Mouthfeel is superb. Its so easy to drink, although tiring if multiplies are consumed.

Overall its solid and would be good to cook with.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Had this one at the alehouse in Gaithersburg. Color is nice dark brown and head seems strong.
Odor is sweet and fruity. Raisin, malt, and brown sugar.
Taste is raisin as well. Sweet and malty. Spices come through a bit too. It may be a bit too sweet, but seems to work well throughout. Alcohol sneaks in as well and seems to take away something a little bit.
Mouth feel is good and smooth. The abv does not make it harsh. The fruit helps with that.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

This beer has roots in wine. Hey, that’s OK with me. I just started a part-time job at Total Wine, and we don’t carry this… maybe we should! Anyway, the beer has a cool name and I am excited to try it. Just this week I grabbed a bottle of 120 Minute IPA. That beer is so hard to come by, I think I am going to leave that in the cellar for a while. But this one has been in the fridge for quite some time, and I am curious what it tastes like.

In the Glass: It looks like a barleywine in the glass. Speaking of barleywines, the Firestone website lists the Firestone Walker Double DBA as a barleywine. It’s not… the label even says “imperial special bitter”. Anyway, this beer is dark, ruby red and looks like a barleywine. The beer doesn’t have any head at all, and no lace to speak of. Maybe this beer really does taste like a wine.

Nose: Whoa… that beer smells incredible. It’s sweet, and again reminds me as a barleywine. I have never heard of Belgian beet sugar… but whatever it is, it makes this beer smell incredible. I am sure it packs a punch on the palate as well. I wonder if anyone has ever released a beer called the Palate Puncher… a double IPA would make sense!

Flavor: And it tastes like a barleywine. It has a very smooth, almost flat consistency across the palate and packs a punch of flavors. It is somewhat complex, starting smooth and sweet and finishing strong and somewhat malty. The beer is very enjoyable, and for the advanced flavors that I am experiencing, I am shocked at the price. Sipping this makes me wonder what foods would pair well with it.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice. It start smooth and flat, and stays that way until the finish. The fact there is no head and basically no lace makes sense with how this beer goes down. I bet this would taste incredible on cask. I did swish it around in my mouth a little bit, and that opened up some new flavors. Nothing crazy. The sweetness really overwhelms the entire palate.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste, for such a powerful beer, isn’t as impressive. It is sort of there and gone again. When I struggle to get some flavors from the swallow, I am tasting fig and some sweet maltiness toward the finish of the swallow. But the aftertaste is nothing to write home about.

I must say, for a beer that I had no idea what to expect… I am pleasantly surprised. The flavors are incredible, and the aroma is wonderful. Look at me… using all these big adjectives. Anyway, I am a big fan of sweet malty beers, and this one fits that realm. I would totally buy this again. I wonder if this tastes better closer to room temperature… yeah, I am sure it does. Bottoms up, people!

Raison D’Être – The bottle says: “A deep mahogany ale brewed with Belgian beet sugars, green raisins, & a sense of purpose”

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%