Raison D'Être - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-09-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Raison D'Être Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Rusty coloured, with an offwhite head about a finger and a half tall. A somewhat pretty colour.

S: Malt and a fruity aroma that I can't quite make out (though raisin is the logical answer, it's not quite that).

T + M: Malty, kinda sticky sweet. More of a grape flavour (and an artificial candy-grape flavour, at that) than raisin. The yeasty esters make an interesting appearance.

D: Rather intriguing, but ultimately, probably not my cup of tea - or glass of beer. ;) Worth trying out, though, by all means.

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Poured out an orange/amber color with a soapy, foamy, tan head that left some trails of lace.

S - It smelled of malt, raisin and other dried fruits.

T - It tasted very malty, with hints of fig and raisin.

M - It was fairly soft and smooth. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a pretty good Belgian style beer. Interesting flavors and quite drinkable.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Clear mahogany with a small head.

Smells very woody, with some malts, caramel and alcohol.

There's sort of a doppelbock thing going on for me. I get the sensation of caramel malts, and a definite woody flavor, with dried fruits. Alcohol presence. Very interesting flavor, lacking a little depth for me though.

Mouthfeel smooth with an alcoholic finish.

This did not blow me away, but was rather interesting. Worth a try.

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%

A- expansive, active, tightly bubbled beige head draws a nitro-hard line between foam and body. said body is clear and the color of dark bing cherries with a central stream of extremely small rising bubbles. excellent head retention opens up craters of all sizes and the top dimples out as if rain drops were falling on it. head becomes rocky as it settles and cobwebby fractal lace abounds ending in a thick chunky glob floating on my brew.

S- odd aroma to say the least... not sure yet if it's good or bad. i immediately recognize the smell, anyone in the eastern united states who's had the troublesome ground ivy in their yard might find the similarity as well. it's pungent and musky and translated in this brew it's not so bad, but on your hands it's nearly as bad as a stink bug. golden raisins perhaps, with the earthiness of beet greens more than beet sugar. somewhat cocoa-ish in the background and as it warms, red fruity maltiness appears. also in warming, alcohol becomes ever present and slightly overtaking.

T- taste buds are flooded with black raisins covered in melted bittersweet chocolate. roasted and caramel malt, burnt brown sugar, and dark over ripe fruit, and black olive? strange taste indeed, but much more inviting than the aroma. lacks the complexity of my favorite BSDAs but provides a unique offering of seldom recognized tastes, which i can always appreciate. becomes woodsy and herbal and the dark cocoa morphs into light coffee, crushed maple leaves, and a general clorophyll taste behind the sweet malt. sweet red wine (lambrusco?) and brown sugar soaked in alcohol come out as it warms. hard to say whether i can taste the belgian yeast as it seems to be lost in the other flavors.

MF- rich and nearly creamy with the right amount of fizz to keep it movin. there's an ongoing battle between cloying and drying, neither really achieving victory.

D- i just don't know about this one. i've ridden the bar on every DFH brew i've had and this so-called 'reason for being' is no different.

3.39/5  rDev -7.1%

A- Deep, rich brown in color with a creamy tan head

S- Nose of sugary malts and campfire?

T- Heavy roasted malt presence opens up the palate, the"beet sugars" are present but subtle, the finishes sweet with just a hint of alchol

M- A bit thinner than I would have expected with moderate to heavy carbonation of little bubbles that coats the tongue

D- Pretty solid beer overall. Probably not something I'd session but nice for a before bed beer or something on a winter night.

2.86/5  rDev -21.6%

I purchased this at Chicano's in Hudson WI, not available in MN.

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a snifter
A: Color is dark ruby red with a little copper toneing. Lace not present, little head retention. At the pour I had a good finger of head that quickly vanshed into thin air.
Minimal bubble rise from the bottom of the snifter.

Smell: Smells like fruit, charred caramel, some toasted bread, alchahol. Very disatnt wiffs of chocolate.

Taste: Sweet upfront, then quickly headed south. Robatussin cough syrup like aftertaste. Just a hint of chocolate after the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy in the and on the front end entering my mouth, then changing to a more watered down consistancy. Moderate carbonation
This is an interesting beer. The acahol is way to strong, in the smell and on my tounge. The balance in this one is not there. I'd drink it again if it was free, but I wont buy it again.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Straight brown with an orange glow around the edge. The thead started out a mear 1/4 inch and did not last long. No lacing.

Smell: Fruity, and earthy. One can tell this will be a sweet beer after the first aroma is sensed.

Taste: Well, the raison is there, but only enough to make it interresting. friuty and sweet form start to finish. Very malty. Could have used a little more hops to balance it out, but all and all a good beer.

Drinkability: Very drinkable at the start but the finish becomes more pungent as it warms.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

Raison D'etra pours a hazy, dark, woody brown. (The bottle says mohagony and I have no reason to argue.) A very thin head sits on top. The nose has some sweet, sugary notes with some fruitiness. The taste shows some sweet fruitiness up front, followed by a light bitterness. The mouthfeel is slightly full and the carbonation is low. This beer really didn't impress me the way the other beers from Dogfish Head have.

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

The color is dark like grape juice thats passed it prime by a year or two, reddish brown. Head was not noticeable a thick mocha suds. Smell is alcohol and like warmed wine with spices.The taste is like Belgian meets with raisin, and it isn't the greatness partnership of flavors. In some ways the blend almost makes me think peanut butter sandwich. Tastes, malty, sweet and rusty with a tiny hint of raisin Heavy alcohol burn to the tongue accompanied by slight bubbles. Overall not a bad beer, but not one I'd call a great beer, particularly from the standpoint of it being by dogfish head (I guess I have high expectations for their beer).

3.26/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a deep dark amber and ruby colored hue. The head is about half a finger high and seems to be glued to the top of this beer. Its not going anywhere anytime soon.

Smells sort of toasty and a bit like coffee. That can't be right, can it? Some nice sweet sugary tones come out along with a very slight vinous smell.

Taste is VERY malty. Very sweet like brown sugar. Not a whole lot else jumps out right away. I'm waiting for the green raisins but I'm thinking thats not going to happen. There is an ever so slight taste of bitter fruit in the finish. Maybe that could be the alcohol though, this one is pretty hefty.

Personally, I love some of the other Dogfish Head brews a lot more than this one. But, thats just my opinion. Give it a shot and form your own. Nothing they brew can be considered anything but good and most of them are great. This one's unique thats for sure!

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

As the bottle say this ia a Mahogany ale. pours very much a deep mahogany color. Light white head which disipates quickly and leaves slight lacing.

Smell does not let one aroma sneak out over another. I smell the rasians, that however is likely to be the power of suggestion. Maltiness can be smelled if only slightly.

Flavor is alot like the smell. Nothing is over powering. There are definite layers of flavor, but they are all delicate. The idea of the raisian flavor is already wedged in to your mind. Sweet flavor to the brew is nice. Not really bitter, slightly spiced.

Mouth feel is creamy. Very smooth for 8% abv.

Nothing stands out too much with this brew. Just a very solid offering.

3.96/5  rDev +8.5%

This beer pours a nice, dark, reddish brown. The head is light cream, and fads quickly leaving a thin ring around the glass. It was poured into a standard pint glass, and is about 50°.

It does not have a strong nose, but I did catch a hint of malt and almost a coffee smell. I'm not noticing some of the other more subtle scents others are.

The beer has a nice malty flavor. I'm also picking up the belgian sugars and just a hint of sourness. The finish is smooth. Mouthfeel may be a little weak, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it watery.

I actually enjoyed this beer more than I thought I would, and would definitely drink it again if available.

2.78/5  rDev -23.8%

I got this bottle in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks John!

The pour reveals a clear reddish amber liquid with a 2 finger head of foam and plenty of lacing. Very good head retention.

The smell has notes of wood, bubblegum, candy sugar, and a fruitiness.

The taste is....different. I get a musky flavour mixed with some caramel malt, along with bubblegum, some candy sugar, but, I can't get over the muskiness, if that is the proper way to describe it. Whole lot of alcohol going on in the taste as well, and too much warming for the abv, imho. I'm drinking this at near room temperature and maybe that isn't the way to go but under these conditions, it's not working for me at all. The body is defintely on the watery side for me..

I'm glad I got to try this brew but it just doesn't do it for me, unlike the majority of DFH's brews. 1 bottle is more than enough and I wouldn't seek this out again, for sure. To me, the flavours are a mess.

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This might be the most underrated beer on the site! This is my second sitting w this same 6er. The first wasn't too earth-shattering, but 6-mos later: wow.
Gorgeous dark amber with red-ish/orange hues. Pours to a modest manila head that fades to a thin ring around the circumference and leaves an island in the middle that looks like a rain cloud on the doppler-forcast.
Brown sugar, dark mahogany, Belgian malt scent. A subtle, floral hop character accents a sweetness that must be the contribution of the raisin. Deep inhalation makes me think of a whiskey with muted alcohol.
Taste is well balanced. Dark brown sugar, rye-like maltiness. The mahogany's contrabution is evident. A little alcohol and a massaging, fine carbonation. The finish leaves a candy sweetness on my tongue like hard caramel.
This beer is a delicacy that for some reason makes me think of a finer wine. Exquisite (with a Creme Brulee) and sophisticated.

4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

I bought this beer before realizing that it had FRUIT in it. Normally, I avoid fruit-containing beers as, said fruit tends to dominate the character of the beer and, frankly, if I wanted fruit I'd have bought a peach.

However, the investment in the six pack (and it IS and investment!) warranted a tasting and I was flabbergasted by the result. Simply put, this beer is exceptional.

Color is as described (by Dogfish Head), ie, mahogany. It's also got a good dose of protein in the head and the lacing hangs around for the duration. Beer is crystal clear.

Aroma is mysterious but very rich. I think the last reviewer got it right when he said that if he hadn't known that there were raisins in the beer, he wouldn't have know what was going on here. As it is, the beer smells inviting, al beit a bit intimidating. After all, who's well-versed in the quaffing of dried fruit?!?

The flavor is great. Complex, like a (barley) wine though w/o the alcohol punch. Very deep.

Finish is clean. There's a noticeable sticky sweetness on the lips, but nothing cloying on the palate. Other than that, you are simply left with the memories of the fruit, and a nagginig invitation to take another sip.

Overall, a singular and outstanding beer!

-ExM

PS, Brothers, what the hell were you drinking? (cuz it certainly wasn't THIS beer!)

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While browsing BA, happened to come upon this beer just as I was drinking some. To my surprise I hadn't reviewed it yet...

Appearance is a deep and clear mahogany with about a finger of head. Not bad but nothing overly exciting. A bit of lacing.

Smell is not overly complex, but does contain some interesting notes of belgian candy sugar, sweet malts, hints of raisins (though honestly, I probably wouldn't have got that one if I didn't know it was in the recipe). Hops are very mild and way in the background as they should be.

The taste is much the same as the smell but enhanced by a creamy mouthfeel and more subtle complexities of clove, banana, and a slight hop bitterness at the finish. Damn near a weizenbock in taste really- but with a belgian-american twist. very good.

I must say, I think this beer is grossly under-rated. An excellent and inspiring example of how American brewers have pushed the traditional boundaries of specific beer styles.

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%

Paid around $1.79 for a single...

Poured into a snifter, appeals a dark brown base, with a medium white head, moderate head retention, and no lacing. The aroma is earthy fruit, like dates and grapes coupled with a mild malt character, nothing fancy yet pleasant.

The taste is a little bitter, but in the good way, followed by a spicy malt character with limited carbonation, medium-bodied and no sign of the fruit like the aroma?!? M&D both fit the bill, the spicy tone was a little harsh on the palette, at 8% its very drinkable, if these spices do it for you and this is what you expect from a Belgian Strong Dark Ale.

Final Thought: Haven't played around too much with the style, but it is a solid offering from a great brewery.

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is my first review, so excuse me while I pop my cherry....

The other disclaimer here is that I'm a fanboy of Dogfish Head beers--I love their offerings, I love their style, I love their off-centered theme....

Drinking from a Tulip glass after pouring from a bottle bought in Dayton, Ohio for the princely sum of $9.99/six pack.

Color is a beautiful cherrywood hue, minimal head due to my insistence that beer should be imbibed at temperatures near freezing (sue me).

Smell reminds me of molasses.

Taste is almost overly sweet, but then again, I like sweet. Molasses, with a following bite of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is near perfect. Daddy likes.

In addition to liking cold beer, I like high alcohol content. I'm in the military, and I like my beers like I like my women: intoxicating. Sessionable? Hells yes!

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured a dark brown with a thin, off white head.

WHat I really loved about this beer was how layered an complex the flavor really was. It comes on with a very chewy, toffee like taste, giving way notes of port, and maple.

Then on the way down, a clean hoppy finish finish, tied with a little bit of an ethanol bite.

An citrus marinated fowl woould go great with this beer.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

I put off trying this beer because it has the word raison in it...i hate them...but this beer is actually really good. Its not a wow factor beer, it wont bowl you over, but you know what it just tastes clean and good.
A: the head could be better but at 8 % its hard to complain. i actually really really dig the color. it has this almost red amber oak stain hue that glows...good stuff

S: sweet, not sugary sweet, ripe dark fruit sweet plum almost with an almost caramel finish, maybe its roasted something, but it finished more simmered

T very clean i have read some notes of it being offensive or too much of one thing, but i actually really like it. its sweet but in a dried fruit (dare i say raisin) way...no it does not remind me of raisins which for me is a good thing. it even has an almost smoke in the back to bolter the sweetness...is this not what we call balance ppl? i was going to give the taste a 4, but as i sip and enjoy it i bumped it to 4.5....its not groundbreaking so no 5, but it does nothing wrong and just makes me so happy i tried it.

Biggest surprise in a while...i expected to hate this beer, the name put me off, reviews weren't favorable....but you know what this is a damn tasty brew worth trying.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

This staple of DFH pours a deep mahogany (as described on the bottle) with medium to low head. Not surprisingly, it smells and tastes strongly of raisons. It's fairly easy and smooth enough to drink with a good mouthfell, but I think drinking several of these would get old due to the raison taste - towards the end of the drink it started to taste more bitter than sweet.

I'd certainly recommend this one, but not something I'd get everyday.

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured from 12 oz nonic pint glass.

A - Deep, transparent brown with one finger head that receded into thin collar. No lacing.

S - Roasted malts, with a coffee-like overtone. Dark fruit and some vegetal characteristics as well.

T - Amazing. Sweet malt upfront, but over-ripe fruit follows, with a slight sourness like a good porter. Coffee as well with a little chocolate thrown in. Ample hop bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is well hidden, with only a minute appearance near the end.

M - Medium bodied, smooth, and lightly carbonated.

D - A great beer to have a few of. The ABV certain sneaks up, but otherwise I could drink these all night.

I'm actually surprised to see that this beer is rated as low as it is, because I find it one of the most engaging beers from the American craft circuit. This beer combines some of the most desirable aspects from a good pale ale, porter, and mild stout.

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

This poured a lovely mahogany, reddish/brown color. On top is a thick white head that faded off quickly to just a thin ring around the glass. The aroma is full of sweet roasted malts and raisins. The flavor is full of roasted malts, caramel, toast and green grapes. A light hop bitterness balances out the sweetness. Its medium to full body and soft carbonation gives it a velvety smooth mouth feel. This is a good Belgian ale that I will be enjoying again real soon.

3.39/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured a nice mahogany with a very disappointing head. Aroma is full of sugar, alcohol, and caramel and dried fruit..myabe raisins. Quite nice. The taste is nice as well, fruity, with roasted malt flavors all thru it. Maybe the sweetness is a little run in it. The mouthfeel is quite different to say the least. The ABV is 8 and it shows. No way I could or would want to drink more than one.

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into a Chimay glass and hoisted in celebration of the Sharks Game 7 victory over Calgary.

Dark copper with good clarity and very little head. Aromas of Malt, raisins, toffee, chocolate, wood. Taste is sweet malt and caramel up front followed up with some raisin, butterscotch and a touch of hop bitterness at the end. Medium to full bodied, slightly sticky with a velvety mouthfeel.

In a nutshell, sweet as a game 7 victory. And there's a shark on the label.

Raison D'Être from Dogfish Head Brewery