75 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

75 Minute IPA75 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: ManekiNeko on 02-06-2004

Blend two Dogfish Head favorites, add maple syrup and carbonate the mixture naturally. What do you get? 75 Minute IPA.

The carbon dioxide trapped during bottle conditioning gives 75 Minute IPA a soft and velvety mouthfeel. Dry-hopped with whole-leaf Cascades, this complex IPA has been known to inspire pilgrimages to our brewpub.
Reviews: 606 | Hads: 3,280
3.61/5  rDev -12%

750ml bottle found at BevMo in Valencia, CA. Pours a highly carbonated, cloudy, golden-orange color. The head is fluffy, white, and slow-going down. Scent is nothing like I thought it would be. When I saw that this beer was brewed with maple syrup...I was expecting it to be the most malty of 60 and 90 minute. However, both 90 and 60 minute are more malty than 75. Weird. Scent is a bit underwhelming with mellow hops...and hints of honey. Struggling to pick up the maple syrup. Taste is...still no maple syrup. I think I enjoyed Squall much more than this. Hops...but lack of depth. Doesn't have that malt profile that 60 and 90 minute have...yet, doesn't have that hoppiness I love as a California craft beer drinker. Mouthfeel is great with the smooth, creaminess. Not too harsh on the bitterness. Overall, I would drink this one over 60 and 90 minute any day. However, I need to review this to the style. It makes no sense for an IPA that claims to be in the middle of the two maltiest IPAs I've ever had...to be not that malty at all. Again, weird. Tasty beer overall. (1,074 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark amber or light brown in color. Forms a smallish off-white head that reduces to a thick ring around the edge. Copious amounts of lacing.

S: Aroma is fairly earthy, with a notes of caramel malts and green, herbaceous hops and a bit of citrus rind.

T: Taste is sort of similar to the aroma, starting off with a good amount of caramel malts. There is a slight woodsy quality, some grapefruit pith, and a little pine. Then comes a mild maple sweetness and some herbal hops. Finishes with a light sweetness.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, moderate bitterness. Smoothes out as it warms up.

O: This beer is a bit of a dichotomy. In one sense, it tastes just like an IPA should, but then there is the maple sweetness that is entirely out of place in an IPA. I'll admit, I prefer West Coast style IPAs, but I can appreciate a mildly sweet IPA when it's made well, but the maple in this beer just doesn't blend well and does absolutely nothing to improve it. (970 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

Bottled in 2012 but the rest of the date code is smudged.

Served cold into a goblet, 75 minute is a hazy copper color with thick white head. It settles slowly and leaves some nice lace.

Aroma is definitely hoppy with some nice orange zest and minty hop character.

Flavor is intensely bitter, moreso than I was expecting honestly. A small hint of that maple sweetness comes throughat first but then it's all just big hop bitterness. A combination of grapefruit and mint comes on strong. It finishes very dry.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and, in my opinion, over carbonated. I know these are bottle conditioned so I expected it to be a little softer.

Overall pretty good but not something I would get again. (710 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a bomber into my DFH signature glass

A- pours a clear dark copper color, nice steady stream of bubbles rise to the surface, a one finger white fluffy head appears on the pour and dissipates after a few minutes, decent lace left on the glass

S- sweet and hoppy, citrus fruits, slightly woody, i'm getting some spices mostly pepper

T- starts light and sweet, moves into a pretty strong hop punch, woodiness, the hops are more grassy than citrus, i feel like the flavor is lacking

M- medium-light body with a silky feel, fairly high carbonation, finishes dry and clean

O- I wasn't impressed with this one, i wish the hops would have brought a little more character to this brew, i'm kinda surprised everyone else rated it so highly, 60 and 90 are much better brews from DFH (787 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a nonic pint...

A: Pours a medium to light golden color, slightly pale. A little cloudy. Massive three-finger head that resembles a mountain range...all kinds of peaks and valleys. Great lacing. One of the most aggressive heads I have seen from a relatively careful pour. Looks great.

S: Orange, mango, tangerine....a tropical citrus powerhouse. Also a cloying, honey-like sweetness that could be the maple syrup...well-integrated, though, and not overwhelming. Little bit of lemon rind kick at the end and some green tea herbal qualities. A lot fruitier and juicier a bouquet than most IPAs, with an interesting herbal blend.

T: More citrus notes...orange, mango, tangerine. Perhaps just a touch of resin and some herbal bitterness. Sweetness kicks in mid palate and evens out the finish...this must be the maple syrup, though it's not immediately identifiable as such. I also get quite a bit of mint on this...enough to make my mouth tingle. A little tannic bitterness at the finish that I think tastes like barrel, though I'm not sure if this was barrel aged or not. The finish has a lot of citrus bitterness.

M: Drinks a touch thin, which I attribute to less than stellar carbonation and some citrus flavors that don't quite meld well with the bittering hop oils.

O: Like just about everything else DFH does, this is interesting but not amazing. A lot more fruitiness than most IPAs and balanced with fairly aggressive wood and hop notes. Carbonation is a bit low and the flavors aren't as well-integrated as they should be. A bit of a tannic sweet fruity finish mars the experience on this one a bit, but still a solid IPA. Good job, DFH. (1,662 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -11.2%

Big bubbled head that settles to nothing--no lace, obviously. Lightly hazy. Dark amber color.

Served warm, the floral hop is really pronounced.

Very low carbonation, even for a cask conditioned beer. Excellent malt beginning--the sugars are caramelized so the beer is not sweet. For an IPA, this is a malty brew. Good hop presence, but not extreme in any sense. Long bitter aftertaste tells you this is an IPA. Still, I find the flatness a distraction. (456 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a 750mL brown bottle into a clear Duvel tulip. No freshness date. Purchased at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $8.99.

A: Very clear amber with towering, tightly bubbled, 3-4 finger head with good retention and copious lacing.

S: The aroma is fainly earthy-herbal hops with a decided caramel/toffee note. Pretty light for an IPA overall.

T: The flavor really comes off nicely, although I still like 90 Minute IPA better than this one. The herbal, grassy, floral punch of 60 Minute IPA lends a very unique flavor when coupled with the caramel, sweeter dark malt notes of 90 Minute IPA. This is not a typical IPA, with more subtle citrus and floral contributions, but the sweetness of the maltiness seems almost more significant, and maybe this is the maple.

M: A little too dry, and this might be the reason that I like 90 Minute better. The body is firmly medium. The dryness and the sweetness seem incongruous and detract from the feel. The higher-than-needed carbonation also decreases the body and gives it a drier, thinner feel.

O: While I am glad I tried this one, I won't go back and will look for 90 Minute IPA when I need a DFH IPA fix. I am not a fan of 60 Minute IPA at all (too herbal, grassy) so I was glad that I enjoyed this, but I won't go back to this guy in the future. Still, worth a shot as it is very unique. (1,353 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -11%

Appearance: Clear golden with visible effervescence slowly floating up towards a two finger soapy off-white head. Later pours were cloudy do to the sediment in the bottle. Decent lacing.

Aroma: Pine and citrus hops. Caramel malts in there but can't detect the maple syrup.

Taste: Lighter than I was expecting. I thought it would be maltier but there is a good caramel background that is balanced by the type of piney/citrusy hops that DFH usually implements. The maple syrup element peeks through just a bit on the finish and aftertaste which is probably the best outcome for this one. Decently bitter at 75 IBUs but not overwhelming dry. Seems lighter than 7.5% ABV in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Above average carbonation (due to the sometimes inexact science of bottle carbonating I think). Between thin and medium in body, never sticky or syrupy as the ingredient list might imply. Easy drinkability.

Final Thoughts: I liked it, but I wasn't 'in like' with it. I was lucky enough to share this bottle with someone but I don't think it's worth the $25 they payed for the bomber. Just feels like it's missing something that could bring it to that next level. Would I drink it again? Probably not unless I was at the brewery having it on-tap. (1,242 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -11%

Dogfish 75 Cask at Dogfish Rehoboth, served in a "perfect pint" glass.

Appearance: A hazy amber that glows. Slightly transparent. Huge frothy fluffy white head, about two fingers.

Smell: Some muddled citrus, orange. Faint hops and sugars. A bit of pineapple and sweet fruits.

Taste: Noticeable sweetness, but no maple syrup (which appears to be one of the ingredients listed). Citrus again, coating the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Light feel, medium body, low carbonation (almost too thin, even for a cask). Served a little cold for a cask, but fine. Also, a bit too sweet.

Drinkability: Good but not great. The sweetness gets tiresome after a while. Glad I tried, but wouldn't session or drink often. (700 characters)

750ml Bottle

A - Hazy copper in color with a frothy eggshell head. Okay lacing.

S - Hops abound, citrus and pine aroma. A little malt in the background.

T - Malty and slightly sweet. Hoppy and orange peel. Not a huge bitter finish.

M - Medium carb/body. Finishes dry.

O - Better than the 90, IMO. Less malty but I wish this beer was brighter in some aspects. (365 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -10.7%

Damn! Overpoured into my Kuhnhenn tulip. I'll have to wait till the head goes down...
Here we go, I'm really looking forward to this one. I remember seeing the original label with the Man In Black on it (without the glasses).
Great looking golden-amber hue. Once settled, about a half-finger of head lingers. Has that distintive Dogfish smell to it, a nice balance of citrus hops and maltiness. I do pick up some woody notes, which I assume is the maple syrup. It has a slight, what I'm picking up as, an off-putting vinegar smell. The taste is nicely balanced between hop bitterness and malt backbone, however, I do pick up some small green apple notes. I pick up the maple syrup at the end of the sip, which I think is well done. Not too much to overpower the sweetness. Mouthfeel is on point and well-carbonated. Overall, a good IPA, and I'm glad I finally got the chance to try it. I guess I might have been expecting more though. (935 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

1 pint 9.4 ounce bottle
Served in a nonic pint glass

A - It is tangerine colored with golden highlights. My first inattentive pour yielded a half a glass of tan head. Subsequent pours were about two inches.

S - As with 60 and 90 minute, this beer has a solid malt backbone. I get some caramel characteristics along with some alcohol and spruce.

T - It has a biscuit malt taste. The finish has plenty of pine flavor. I get a little maple in the aftertaste.

M - It is full bodied for an IPA. The mouthfeel reminds me of an English ale.

O - It has been awhile since I have had a 60 or 90 minute IPA. This beer is more malty than the IPA's I have been purchasing lately. I used to love the maltier IPA's when I was a young BA. I now prefer the citrus, mid-western style of this ale. It is a good beer, but it is no longer as agreeable as it once was with my palate. (867 characters)

On tap at Rehoboth beach Brewpub. from notes 7-11-2011

A - slightly cloudy light amber body, medium white head with a weird brown smudge on it.

S - light fruits. That's about it.

T - dry, some light hops. Wood, earthy, a touch of honeydew. not what one expects from an IPA, but it's got some nice subleties to it.

M - dry, medium body

O - interesting, but a bit on the small side in all respects. (401 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -10.7%

on cask at devils den in philly

Pours a clouded orange color with some golden straw hues. Crop of creamy white head slowly dissolves with some wispy retention. Plenty of patchy rings of lacing on the glass.

Some citrusy hops in the nose with a decent amount of sweetness. There's a hint of the maple I suppose, but more of a caramel bready touch from the malt.

Nice bitterness up front with plenty of citrus flavor. Tangerine and grapefruit with a soft notion of tropical tones. A little sweet with maple and caramel throughout the somewhat bready malt backbone. Finishes fairly bitter and creamy.

Medium body, milder carbonation, creamy and slick on the tongue, very easy drinking. This is pretty nice, I enjoyed the cask effect although I felt the nose was pretty muted. (780 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -10.5%

Served in a sample cup at the Lupulin Slam.

Appearance: Hazy, honey color with a frothy and rocky white head, which recedes to a film and a ring in good time. Wee blobs of lacing were left on the glass.

Smell: Herby, almost minty, smell of hops. I was reminded of German nobles for some reason. Peppery, grassy, and brassy.

Taste: Melony fruit sweetness with some peppery and herby hop tastes. The hops and the malt don't really mesh well enough to make this truly stellar, but that might be me not liking the hop profile.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, nice and crisp. Palate cleansing.

Drinkability: A nice, but odd, hop profile. I think I'll take the 90 minute IPA by itself, thanks.

Other: Created especially for the Lupulin Slam, this is a 7 barrel batch of beer that mixes essentially equal portions of 60 and 90 Minute IPA together, plus a crapload of hops, among which were Columbus, Chinook, Amarillo, and Cascade. (936 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

A cask pint at the brewpub. It's been a long time since I was here.

A: The IPA is a golden autumnal color, equial parts brown and orange while still translucent. A cask-induced head, thick and densely compact, leaves strata of lace behind.

S: Citrusy aromas waft out of the glass, paired with a caramel malty sweetness. The cask does a yoeman's job of taking the edge off of the hops.

T: The taste is a little, well, underwhelming. Plenty hoppy, the ale doesn't have that all-encompassing bitterness that I was hoping for. I guess that in hindsight that is appropriate, as neither 60 nor 90 are hop bombs. Here the caramel malts stand out more, a sweetness that carries the hoppiness far. Those hops are citrusy, strong even within the confines of the cask. A good start to my lunch at DFH.

M: The mouthfeel elicits both hops and malts, the cask lending more strength to the malt side. Still good though, a drinkable cask offering. (935 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Big thanks to Anthony for picking this up in the city for me since it seems to have never made it out to LI. Enjoyed from my DFH signature glass.

a - brew poured a murky semi transparent orange with a generous 2+ fingers of frothy cream colored head. Carbonation raced from the etch on the bottom of the glass to the surface. Head was huge and foamy leaving chunks of head and lacing on the glass, very milkshake like.

s - SUPER grassy and grainy front on a nice bed of hop.

t - pretty decent, nothing mind blowing. Much like the smell, lots of grain and grassiness on the hops. Caramel malts and a touch of spicy maple, not IPA in the classic sense of a citric burst, but the bitterness from the dry hop is evident.

m - mouth boasts lots of carbonation without being overdone. Crisp with a subtle bittery finish. Brady and cooling.

o - overall I have had this on draft before and remember it being slightly better, that said, not a bad beer. The label speaks of aging it which seems an odd recommendation for an IPA, but this isn't a hop bomb in the traditional sense of an IPA. Worth checking out. (1,104 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

A - Bright, golden straw color. Huge, rocky, off-white head is extremely slow to settle. When it finally does diminish, thick, sticky rings of lacing are left clinging to the glass.

S - Seems pretty run of the mill. Can tell it's full of hops. Earthy, piney, and floral hops dominate the nose. They easily mask anything else that may be going on. A subconscious sense of maple syrup just because bottle says it's there.

T/M - A bit more citrusy (grapefruit and orange peel) in the taste.Some sweetness shows up, but still no real appearance of the syrup. Medium bodied with a good level of carbonation.

O - Easy enough to drink, and by no means a "bad" beer, However, I prefer 90 minute, and feel this was enjoyed more as a "tick". Don't see myself readily grabbing for it if presented the opportunity. (806 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

had at the Grey Lodge Pub for the Johnny Cask night promo back in March

not much of a head after the initial pour from the firkin...slight haze to it, from the maple syrup...almost looked like iced tea...light amber color

maple syrup dominated the nose...hops are muted but become prevalent as the beer warms....sweet malt....some caramel in there also

when i took my first sip it reminded me a burnt rubber taste...not what i look for in my beers... i'm assuming this was from the maple syrup...this went away as the beer warmed and the hops showed up...sweetness comes in from the malt...citrus and grapefruit are there but not front and center

smoooth going down...if it wasn't for that off smelling burnt rubber taste in the beginning this would be something i could drink all night

becomes more drinkable as the beer warms and that burnt rubber taste fades and the hops step in....not sure how necessary the maple syrup is to this concoction, but i'd like to see if that rubber taste is there or not if the syrup isn't added to the cask...good balance of hops as expected from the 60 Min/90 Min combo (1,110 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Strange Brew; Poured from a capped bomber into a tulip- poured a relatively clear copper color with a massive three finger head (I assume because of the bottle conditioning). Beautiful lacing and very good retention.

Smell is really off- I just bottled a batch of DFH 60 min clone and this beer smells like the yeast/hop sediment (trub) at the bottom of the fermenter. A little maple syrup comes through but mostly the funk...

Tastes good- like another BA said, more similar to the 90 than the 60. Good malt backbone, nice hop bitterness, a little woody (?). Don't get much hop flavor (ie pine, citrus, flowery) but the bitterness is there.

Mouthfeel is good- medium body with moderate carbonation. This is certainly a strange one. Disappointed because of the smell- perhaps something went wrong this time? (810 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

S: Bright, fruity hops, mostly grapefruit and orange, fresh, slight bisquity malt

L: Hazy, burnt orange, big creamy eggshell white head. Solid rention and lacing.

T: Bisquity malt supported by citrusy hops, malt a little much for an IPA. Medium bitterness, fairly clean grapefruit hops. Finishing semi-dry, some hop resin on the palate.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Not bad, i like it better on taop. I don't get the maple syrup as a priming sugar for the bottles, i didn't get much of it at all. Also don't get why the suggest to age it. (551 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

750ml bottle on date is smeared off. I like the label. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy golden amber in color. Big three finger white frothy head. Crazy retention and loads of lacing left all over the place.

Aroma: Citrusy earthy and floral hops. Lighter caramel malts and maple syrup.

Taste: Citrusy and floral hops hit up front. Mellows out a bit with some biscuit and caramel malts along with sweetness coming from the maple syrup before finishing with a more piney hops bitterness. Actually has some complexity and interesting flavors going on but I still think I prefer 60 or 90 as opposed to this one.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation. Bottle conditioning makes this smooth and easy drink. The maple syrup adds a bit too much sweetness than I would have cared for. I think I like the straight up 75 minute at their brewpubs over this one. I would almost say it's a slightly toned down 90 minute. Not a bad beer just a little sweet for an ipa. (972 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Pours a lightly hazy golden orange in color with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a three finger tall dense foamy light beige head that reduces to a medium sized dense thick patch, some thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer, and a very thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant lacing is observed.

S: Mild amounts of sweet maltiness with some caramel and honey aromas coming through. Additionally there is a moderate aroma of citrus hops and some subtler hints of floral and earthy hops.

T: Similar to the smell, there is a solid sweet malt body with caramel malts and some honey/maple. On top of that there is a strong presence of citrus (grapefruit mostly with some orange rind hints as well) hops. Light bitterness.

M: On the fuller side of medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Smooth and crisp with some light dryness in the finish.

O: This beer is pretty well balanced and quite enjoyable - not too sweet or too bitter which seemed like a real possibility after reading the label. Easy enough to drink and the alcohol is well hidden. (1,121 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

A previous cask-only offering now available via 750ml bottles. Happy to revisit this one since it has been quite awhile. Poured into a matching shaped DFH pint glass, the brew appears a hazed color of golden copper. More than 4 fingers worth of frothy white head rises above the brew and maintains with a finger of pillow-like uneven surface. Patches of lace stick all over the glass.

The aroma of this brew includes some pleasant hoppy quality that includes some hints of citrus, fruit and floral qualities. More specifically it smells of grapefruit with a touch of pine that gets a bit of herbal touch towards veggy quality on the backend. There is some mineral inclusion and a touch of sulfur keeping this from smelling clean. A bit of alcohol is noted accenting the fruity aspect of this. Overall, the good parts of the nose are great and the bad parts are well... there.

The taste is almost menthol-like with a cooling minty quality about it. Herbal hops are present with seemingly more flavor than bitterness. Some pulp and zesty quality gives way to a fruity alcohol inclusion. Some toasty grain backing is present and just like the aroma led on, there is some veggy aspects to this mixed with minerals, sulfur and cheese.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a visually overboard amount of carbonation. However, as it settles in the glass, it becomes light and enjoyable. This brew was fairly drinkable and went down easy but I would have enjoyed this so much more without the minerals, veggy and sulfur quality that was present throughout. (1,557 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had at the Washington Street Alehouse in Wilmington, poured from a beer engine and served at cask temperature. Aromas muted due to the low level of carbonation (light malt/hop). Hazy dark yellow with a medium head that faded. Hop flavor muted, malt backbone prominent, for an IPA it was balanced (serving from cask really muted the hop character). Perfectly good beer, but not the best for serving on cask IMHO. (411 characters)

75 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery