75 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

75 Minute IPA75 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: ManekiNeko on 02-06-2004

Blend two Dogfish Head favorites, add maple syrup and carbonate the mixture naturally. What do you get? 75 Minute IPA.

The carbon dioxide trapped during bottle conditioning gives 75 Minute IPA a soft and velvety mouthfeel. Dry-hopped with whole-leaf Cascades, this complex IPA has been known to inspire pilgrimages to our brewpub.
Reviews: 619 | Hads: 3,329
3.66/5  rDev -10.5%

Damn! Overpoured into my Kuhnhenn tulip. I'll have to wait till the head goes down...
Here we go, I'm really looking forward to this one. I remember seeing the original label with the Man In Black on it (without the glasses).
Great looking golden-amber hue. Once settled, about a half-finger of head lingers. Has that distintive Dogfish smell to it, a nice balance of citrus hops and maltiness. I do pick up some woody notes, which I assume is the maple syrup. It has a slight, what I'm picking up as, an off-putting vinegar smell. The taste is nicely balanced between hop bitterness and malt backbone, however, I do pick up some small green apple notes. I pick up the maple syrup at the end of the sip, which I think is well done. Not too much to overpower the sweetness. Mouthfeel is on point and well-carbonated. Overall, a good IPA, and I'm glad I finally got the chance to try it. I guess I might have been expecting more though.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a Bomber into my RR tulip

Appearance: Deep straw-golden color. Hazy with an off white head.

Smell: I smell caramel and slight maple. Then some citrusy grapefruit and orange zest.

Taste: Subtle citrus hops pair well with the maple syrup. I think the syrup is what ties this one together. As it warms, the citrus and alcohol are more prevalent on the back end. I really like how balanced it drinks too.

Mouthfeel: On the heavier side of medium bodied. Very drinkable.

Overall: IMO, a better version of the 60 minute. Not as malty as the 90, and far more complex than the 60. Again, I suspect this is where the syrup is the difference maker. Highly recommend and it is also reasonably priced at $7 a bomber--though this is pretty hard to find in ATL.

HAd At the BBC in Plymouth MA,

I was so excited to have been a part of the event. The beer was awesome.

Poured a nice orangeish amber with a nice thick head, rocky ans off white. Big ups to the bartender for the pour.

Smell was all hops with a light sweetness.

Taste was straight dry hopping. Piney upfront and mellowing to more of a citrus finish. The sweetness of the malt was in the middle. I love cask and love the dry hops.

This was the first cask offering I have ever had from Dogfish. I hope it isn't the last. This brew reminded me of the 90 min. with the randal. This was maybe a little smoother.

4.84/5  rDev +18.3%

The difference between tasting this beer poured from the cask and drinking it from a bottle is akin to the difference between the minor and the major leagues.

From the cask this beer has the perfect aroma of citrus and hops.

The greatest thing is how it feels. It is dangerous drink since it feels creamy and pleasurable, like a tall glass of chocolate milk.

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a medium golden amber that was very minimally translucent and appeared to be totally filtered. Produced a large, froathy, inconsistently dense laced head that remained for a considerably long period of time. The smells are not overly robust with hoppy explosiveness. They are darker hop smells along the pine side. The maple syrup 'bottle-conditioning' is not very detectable. This one might have a little age to it. Malts are noticeable. It seems as though it should be heavier than 7.50 abv. The mouthfeel has a solid bitterness which is expected from the smells alone. I know these have been around for a bit but I'm first seeing them in Chicago the last few weeks. I want to say it would be better fresher. This one, at least, doesn't compare to 90 Min. Glad I tried it.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: light copper color no head

Aroma: very citrus and sweet, reminded me of a fresh grapefruit

Taste: sweet and citrus but the sweet was a fruit taste not from the malt. The taste was so good and unique I really liked the taste

Mouth Feel: I had this on cask so not much carbonation and no head but real easy to sip.

Wow I loved this beer very yummy. I could make this a session beer even tho it has 7.5% abv

4.5/5  rDev +10%

A - The Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA pours into a chalice a clear gold, with a gigantic off-white head.

S - ...wonderful fresh hop aroma; citrus with a hint of pine.

T - This review is going to be biased because I'm a dry-hop head. The hops dominate, more so than in the 90-minute Dogfish offering, imo. The taste rotates between bitter notes and hints of sweetness; malts instrumental in giving this beer its balance.

M - Marvelous. The body is akin to a "bigger" beer. But, that's okay with me.

O - Terrific brew. Hop heads will love it. Not as strong a dry-hop experience as a SN Torpedo, but reminiscent. It's more balanced than a Torpedo. Simply delicious.

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

No "enjoy by" date.
Poured slowly into a standard pint glass.

A: It poured to a thick, dense, cream colored, three-finger head. The color was a light copper to almost golden, and a little cloudy. It was clear enough to see the carbon bubbles raising.

S: The aroma has a touch of sweetness and some light pine hops. The aroma was very mild.

M: It has a medium to heavy body and a lot of carbonation, and it leaves a slick coating.

T: It begins with a hop rush that is earthy with a little pine. It is a big hop taste that is balanced by the molassas sweetness.

O: A pleasantly earthy, piney hop bomb. The molassas keeps the bitterness from going over the top.
This is an interesting take on an IPA. It stands out from a crowded feild. It is bold in the eathyness of the hops and the molassas provides a backbone that is strong enough to offset the hops and stand out on its own because to the sweet molassas flavor.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

This IPA had a nice soft citrus taste. It was not extremely hoppy, but the presence of the cascade hops is definitely noticeable. I had Dogfish 60, 90 & 120 minute IPA's and I favor this one the most. Unfortunately, it is very limited. If you enjoy an IPA that is not extremely powerful (ex. imperial IPA), I would recommend drinking this. It's 7.5% ABV. The appearance has a nice golden/orange hue. I was expecting to taste more maple syrup because Dogfish uniquely use this ingredient when they blend the 60 & 90 minute together. However, I did notice a slight sweetness to the beer that I find enjoyable. This beer is limited and I suggest you try tasting it before it is gone. You will not be disappointed.

4.17/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle purchased for $9.99 at Wegmans in Downingtown, PA. Bottled on date only listed as "bottled in 2012", and then what looks like a time stamp of 11:50. Not super helpful, but whatever. Pours a moderately hazy light copper color, with strawberry blonde hues when held up to the light. A little over 2 fingers of bright white head hangs around for a while before receding to a cap and leaves nice patches of lace.

A lot of dank, herbal pine in the nose, accompanied by some grapefruit rind, slight pineapple, and some sweet malts. Not really getting any maple syrup in the nose, but still a great smelling IPA.

Some juicy citrus hops greet the palette at first, with mostly grapefruit and grapefruit rind with a little mango, then some sweet caramel malts in the middle of the tongue before finishing off with a nice, healthy dose of piney bitterness that is cut by some faint maple syrup sweetness. A little, almost tart-like pineapple is noticeable in the finish as well. Still not getting as much maple syrup as I'd hoped for, but definitely much more noticeable in the taste than the smell.

Medium bodied with crisp carbonation and a bittering, dry finish. Smooth. The hops linger for a little in the mouth, but aren't overbearing.

This is very, very good stuff here, folks. I would have liked just a tad more maple syrup, but the rest of the beer is a super solid IPA, borderline dIPA territory with the heady hop profile. The more I drink unfiltered IPA's, the more I'm coming to realize that that is where the flavor I want is. Grab it if you can.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

This is one of my favorite IPAs. I tasted this a while back and it was unbelievably good. I will skip the look of the beer and focus on the hop to malt to maple syrup ratio. Sweet, floral, spicy, and rounded out by the maple - it is really something! Citrus hops with floral characteristics meet the toasted malts and are enveloped by maple. Need I say more? The maple syrup is from Sam's father's farm in Mass.

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

On tap at Dogfish Head Brewings at Eats in Rehobeth. Blended from the tap (3/4 60 Minute, 1/4 90 Minute).

A: Beautiful golden, copper when lifted to the light, color. Head was gone when the beer arrived at my table. Left decent lacing on the glass.

S: Pine with a fresh citrus scent, maybe lemon. Allergies were acting up. Second pint ordered I picked up a hint of grapefruit as well.

T: Pine up front being taken over by fresh lemon and grapefruit. There is a nice spicy character early on as well. A hint of caramel on the end, just enough to balance the bitter bite up front. The freshness of this beer is obvious, and amazing. This is the best of both worlds! (60 & 90) During my second pint I also picked up a bit of grapefruit.

M: Good carbonation, light bodied, and there is a minimal stickiness/oiliness from the hops.

D: This is, hands down, one of my favorite I.P.A.'s.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A- golden, bronze color, a bit cloudy

S - mellow citrusy hop aroma

T - bittersweet, not overly hoppy, the maple seems to cut the bitternesss some

M - effervescent pour, but buttery when drinking.

O - a solid IPA, very drinkable. not obnoxiously hoppy yet definitely makes its presence known

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Served on cask at Lord Hobo.

Medium-amber and fairly clear with a thin head of bubbles and then lacing. Moderate carbonation for cask but low for other dispensing methods.

Smells a bit like the typical citrus (grapefruit) and pine but with a bit of the maple character.

On the taste you certainly can sense the sugary maple notes but its not immediately discernible or overpowering. Balanced well with good malt and hop profiles.

I'm not a massive Dogfish fan, but its hard not to follow what they do and this is one I've been looking forward to trying - mostly because I love a good "real ale". This doesn't disappoint! It can be real tough to find a well-excecuted cask beer (it takes a great brewery, great handling, and a great bar). This was done right. Not cold, but certainly not warm. Not fizzy, but not flat. Makes for incredible drinkability and mouthfeel.

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had at the Washington Street Alehouse in Wilmington, poured from a beer engine and served at cask temperature. Aromas muted due to the low level of carbonation (light malt/hop). Hazy dark yellow with a medium head that faded. Hop flavor muted, malt backbone prominent, for an IPA it was balanced (serving from cask really muted the hop character). Perfectly good beer, but not the best for serving on cask IMHO.

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Cask drawn - primed with maple syrup
A: golden hue with a little cloudiness
S: nose was solid with a nice hop note
T: lightly hopped ... very surprising and nicely balanced
M: full bodied with a light finish
O: really great beer for a nice night at the bar. Tastes and feels like a session, but far from it ringing in at around 7.5%

4.05/5  rDev -1%

Cask at Blind Tiger.

Amber color with a small head.
Aroma of citrus, pine, maple syrup, sweet malt and wood.
Flavor was very nice, nice hop presence to this, citrus like flavor with a bit of sweetness.
It was very smooth and somewhat creamy. A bit on the sweet side, but nicely balanced, a very nice beer, i would love to have again.

This beer is one of my all time favorites. The smell, taste, and aftertaste are amazing. The picture on the label is also pretty cool. I have been waiting to get my hands on another one for far too long. Its hard to find in my little town and the brewery is far away. Regardless, my next encounter with the 75 minute IPA will be a pleasure.

3.84/5  rDev -6.1%

1 pt. 9.4 fl oz bottle poured into an IPA glass. Bottled on 7/15. Consumed on 9/20.

A - Amber in color with a 1 finger head. Readily apparent carbonation. Delicate yet abundant lacing as beer recedes. First pour clear, but 2nd pour yielded sediment which quickly settles to bottom of the glass.

S - Sweet coconut/tropical fruit scent with a slight citrus hint.

T - Sweet East Coast IPA. Very reminiscent of the style. Sweetness with a slight lemony citrus twist.

M - Initial crisp mouthfeel, but feels somewhat sticky in the corners of my mouth over time... is that the maple syrup conditioning or am I imagining it?

O - Bought this since 75 minute is rather limited, and it's interesting. If you like DFH 60/90, you will enjoy. I will not purchase again.

3.12/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours out with more than average head, which stays for quite a while. Clings to sides of glass. Very hazy caramel color throughout. Reminds me of autumn.

Smell is very malty. Not a lot of hop being detected. Sweet, thick malt is the overpowering sensation.

Taste is sweet and syrupy (as expected, with maple syrup being an ingredient). Lots of malt and a very subdued taste overall.

Mouthfeel is very thick and syrupy. Not a very clean finish overall. Lingers in the mouth long after sip is finished.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

A - cloudy, golden, huge frothy white head that stays, lots of lacing

S - citrus, pine, pepper - subdued but very pleasant

T - very balanced, lots of tropical citrus hops, mostly orange peel, some bitter grapefruit bite in the aftertaste, the maple provides the balance

M - very rich and creamy without being syrupy

O - a bright hop forward IPA with lots of character and depth without burning your taste buds

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Reviewed this before from the cask; this is a bottle pour, with a date stamp of 2012B (fresh).

I have never poured a beer with this thick a foam head- four fingers, and standing up over the rim of my oversized DFH Snifter. Hazy golden color with hints of orange. Foamy, foamy, foamy head that is VERY SLOWLY turning into thick sticky lace.

Tart smells, with citrus dominating. Very full nose of hoppy goodness. The taste is bold up front, but suprisingly softer on the finish. Hop bitterness with almost a faint hint of lemon. The foamy head (can't help but get a mouthful) is very tart and strong with hop.

Smooth feel, could have just a bit more fizz. Full body. Overall, I like this much better than the cask pour- but some of that could also be the temp, as the cask pour last year was slightly warmer, and this brew is better on the cooler side. Very good!! Plus I now have another empty for my DFH bottle collection.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

This is a really nice IPA. I was expecting it to have more sweetness due to the presence of their 90 minute IPA and the addition of maple syrup, but it was just nicely balanced. It was surprisingly hop forward. Lots of nice California type IPA aromas, but with a nice smooth taste. Not too bitter. Mouthfeel was nice. Left some nice lace on the glass. Overall a very solid, balanced and surprisingly refined IPA.

Edit: I forgot to add that I didn't really taste the maple syrup. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's pretty subtle.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

The beer is a true golden color with a slight haziness. The head poured to an enormous level! 4 inches or beer produced 5 inches of head! (Note: My serving size is technically "bottle", but the 750ml bottle).

The smell is really nice! Layers of hops, acidic citrus (grapefruit and lemon), and then the subtle malt sweetness that rounds out the scent and makes me drool like a child...

Man, it tastes good! Hoppy up front, then this rush of natural citrus and sweetness all at the same time, followed by a smooth and dry finish. Usually beers achieve one or two of these characteristics but this brew combines them all into a single bottle that whispers "drink me now"...

Mouthfeel is interesting. It is smooth in the mouth but carbonated once you swallow (I know, I know, but there was no better way to say it). It is almost too carbonated but I still gave it a good score because few beers can achieve that balance, and the smooth is really nice.

Overall this beer is fantastic, a new favorite of mine. Even if you do not like IPA's, it is worth a try. I live in Delaware and have easy, tax free access to these brews but I try my best not too be too subjective or biased. Nice brew!

3.86/5  rDev -5.6%

Whoa...it's a gusher! A good 3 inch foam takes over more of my glass than beer.
The aroma is nice. Hops are there, but not overly so. It smells bready and leafy.
The taste is interesting. Although I am admittedly having trouble finding the maple syrup. Maybe it'll come through more as it warms? There is a thickish mouthfeel that I am enjoying. The hop bitterness is well balanced.
Hmmm...if no one told me that it had maple syrup, I never would have guessed it.
But overall, a quality IPA that won't knock your socks off but is a nice offering that I would like to revisit on tap.

75 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery