75 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

75 Minute IPA75 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: ManekiNeko on 02-06-2004

Blend two Dogfish Head favorites, add maple syrup and carbonate the mixture naturally. What do you get? 75 Minute IPA.

The carbon dioxide trapped during bottle conditioning gives 75 Minute IPA a soft and velvety mouthfeel. Dry-hopped with whole-leaf Cascades, this complex IPA has been known to inspire pilgrimages to our brewpub.
Reviews: 612 | Hads: 3,297
3.73/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750 mL bottle purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, unknown bottling date (2013 vintage), poured into my NEBCO Ghandi-Bot snifter, drank 9/22/13 over an hour.

A: 3/3 -beautiful golden-brown coloration, high clarity (can see and even read through through), carbonation is huge on first pour and persists as a one finger frothy white head through the session, mild-to-moderate alcohol legs

S: 7/12 - picking up tons of Cascade notes, which, in excess, has always smelled like bleach to me; not a fan...

T: 15/20 - on the anterior tongue, I get an intense Cascade bitterness with those "bleach-like": flavors predominating; in the middle of the mouth, I was waiting for some of the maple syrup sweetness, which did appear but, unfortunately, not nearly as much as I would have liked; the alcohol is present but certainly not overwhelming in the taste

M: 3/5 - moderate bodied and but overcarbonated to me for an American IPA

O: 7/10 - one of my first IPA loves was 90 Minute IPA, I've gotten blasted into outer space on 120 Minute and have come to appreciate 60 Minute as a solid East Coast IPA; unfortunately, I don't see what this beer adds beyond the aforementioned and I sincerely wish that the maple syrup was more present in the flavor; it's an overall meh for me.

TOTAL = 35/50 (1,296 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -6.3%

1 pt. 9.4 fl oz bottle poured into an IPA glass. Bottled on 7/15. Consumed on 9/20.

A - Amber in color with a 1 finger head. Readily apparent carbonation. Delicate yet abundant lacing as beer recedes. First pour clear, but 2nd pour yielded sediment which quickly settles to bottom of the glass.

S - Sweet coconut/tropical fruit scent with a slight citrus hint.

T - Sweet East Coast IPA. Very reminiscent of the style. Sweetness with a slight lemony citrus twist.

M - Initial crisp mouthfeel, but feels somewhat sticky in the corners of my mouth over time... is that the maple syrup conditioning or am I imagining it?

O - Bought this since 75 minute is rather limited, and it's interesting. If you like DFH 60/90, you will enjoy. I will not purchase again. (760 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

750Ml poured into a tulip

A- A hazy amber color with a two finger off white head.

S- A lot of cascade hops. A lighter side of fruityness. A bit of a sugary sweetness.

T- On the sweeter side at first. I dont taste much of the syrup but it does add to the sweetness and the feel of the beer. The hops are typical cascade. A slight fruityness, more of a fruity pebbly like taste. A bit of onion but a subtle hop profile. The malts are somewhat plain but bring out the hops.

M- A thicker feel for an IPA. I think its mostly from the syrup. Not too bitter. But very drinkable.

O- A nice IPA. right inbetween the 60 and 90. Its a slightly different take on the base beers but doesnt veer too far off the beaten path to justify the price. Worth trying. (750 characters)

4.1/5  rDev 0%

75 minute IPA a beautiful experience thus far after my first pour, paired with one of my favorite all time cigars CLE cuarenta which is a beautiful diadema tapered at each end tailored for Christian Eirora's 40th birthday. Overall a great experience between the roasted tobacco notes and black pepper I'm getting from the cigar, along with a perfume like spice note this is complex tobacco. The beer looks super cloudy amber ruby hued with a light khaki tan head forming fine lace in my chalice glass. Aroma has citrus with a complex sugar layer full of hops and maple syrup partially fermented out. Barrel aging can't be ruled out this is a refined IPA less hop machismo than either 60 minute IPA or 90 minute IPA. Flavors collide nicely with oak barrel aging and hops on the horizon, super complex malts and sugars blend it all into a balanced beast of an IPA. Mouthfeel has bitter aspects with alcohol soothing the backend it doesn't finish hot but the alcohol is definitely noticeable wow, what a beer. Overall the perfect beer to pair with a complex cigar don't think you have to have a scotch or bourbon to pair with your cigar when there is ale out there this complex. (1,175 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So, so, so good. Tapped the cask right on the 18th Street side of the bar. Dude in a button button-down had a taster, then questioned his outfit, the 75 Minute was so good. Folks dressed in black suits (who apparently had missed their funeral), guffawed out loud as they asked "what's a cask"?, as they innocently dismissed their lost colleague. 75 Minute. 75 Minute in a cask. 75 Minute in a cask at City Taphouse in Philly. I'll see you tomorrow. (448 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Six week old bottle. Bottle conditioning contributes to a long-lasting creamy head over three fingers high. Color is a hazy golden amber. When that head does finally fade, there's some chunky lacing left in its wake. A very floral aroma that showcases C hops and has a nice balance of citrus and pine. I expected a bigger blast of aroma from the supposedly insane level of dry hopping, but it's still very satisfying.

75 really does taste like a blend of 60 and 90, although you could also describe it as a "bigger 60." Bitterness and hop flavors are amplified as is the malt body, although there's no trace of sweetness or slight booziness as in the 90. Starts out with citrusy pine that leads into a pithy, bitter, dry finish. Despite the prodigious carbonation, the mouthfeel does not suffer.

All in all, this is a very good IPA, nicely balanced IPA. The bottle conditioning with maple syrup is an interesting twist that makes for a great looking beer, but otherwise adds nothing. (985 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A nice beer, and a nice idea- adding a bit of maple syrup to the IPA. The syrup adds a bit of sweetness, but just slightly. What it really does is round out the flavors and add a balance to the bitterness as well as a floral/earthy note. It tastes as if they used a lighter grade of syrup, which was wise in this case. It's definitely become quite a different experience than a normal IPA, but one that is crave worthy- for me at least. (436 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

In reading other reviews, I realized they were reviewing two entirely different beers. The bottled stuff is made with added maple that adds an underlying sugar thats supplements the malt with a notable effect. "Pub made" 75 is a draw from 60 and a draw fron 90, and you get what the barkeep, not the brewer, measures by eye. Take it for what it is. Its not what they botle, but an in-between made up ib thy fly. Naturally in, consistent, its still a good bar option when you are in the pub. Not great, but drinkable when Mama bear and Papa bear are not what you want. (567 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Bottled on date is smeared, but I can make out that it was bottled in July of 2013. 750ml bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy burnt golden; huge chunky eggshell white head that doesn't dissapear and leaves nice lacing and retention. Amazing looking beer. The aromas are full of caramel malts and lots of oranges. There are hints of pine needles as well. The flavors are sharp and crisp, but the malts do cut down on the aggressive bitterness. There are hints of maple as advertised, giving it a subtle sweetness and a resinous taste. There's some grass in the mix giving it an earthiness. I'm also picking up on some lemon zest. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is nice; feels medium-bodied. The carbonation is moderate, but active. It's pretty creamy as well. This is a pretty clean beer. There's definitely an English influence on this one.

I'd say 75 Minute doesn't match up to its counterparts. I'd personally prefer of 60 or 90 over this. The craftsmanship is definitely there, which it gets extra credit for. It's an enjoyable beer, but nothing to write home about, in my opinion. The hop flavors and aromas don't seem to shine. Reguardless of me not being crazy about the aromas and flavors, it's still a pretty fun beer to drink, like most DFH beers. I recall enjoying this much more in the past. I hate to sound so harsh, because I'm a longtime DFH fan. (1,369 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Honestly, I was reluctant to try this beer. Maple syrup? Yuck. But I was wrong. I was abroad and wanted some foreign friends to try American micro-brewed beers. So I had a colleague bring over two bottles from the States. He chose Racer 5 IPA, which I love, and 75 Minute, something I had never tried.

And I was hesitant to be the Guinea Pig. So my interpreter went first. He raved about it! So I switched from my Racer 5 and sipped a bit of 75 Minute, and what a surprise! The maple syrup remains in the background, but brings a certain alchemy to this beer, making it a complex, subtle, and malty drink.

If you too are reluctant, I don't blame you. But the syrup itself is barely detectable and serves as the perfect medium for this IPA.

Try it, you'll like it. (769 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -5.1%

NOTE: At the brewpub, they still "hand-mix" the 60 and 90 Minute, so I could probably do a slightly different review each time.

I have had this beer numerous times at Dogfish Head brew pubs, but actually doing a review made me think more about how much I really like it, especially compared to the multitude of options now available.

A: amber mostly clear, carbonation present. Head has retention and significant lacing.
S: little grassy, light lemon notes, not too strong on either
T: Light citrus and a little nutty initial taste. This gives way to the main malt-heavy yet grassy-bitter hops taste. The combination tastes a little woody to me.
M: carbonation on tongue up front, coating malt and dry little tug for second half of taste.
O: had always enjoyed this as a nice balance between 60 and 90. This still holds true. It's a solid offering, but nothing in it makes me out it over the top. I thought I'd rate it higher, and I still enjoy it, but not as much as I did or as other options out there.

My recent glasses have seemed maybe a little more on the 90 side (is it bad the bartenders know me). Maybe that has nothing to do with it. (1,146 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Large format bottle, 6 months from bottling date, poured into a Spiegelau snifter.

Pours a fairly clear orange body with a large head of creamy color, large bubbles with great retention, pretty beer.

Interesting nose, not overpowering, smells similar to DFH's 90 minute with citrus and grapefruit nods but also a noticeable maple syrup aroma.

Definitely a unique taste. I get the similar hop profile from DFH's 90 and 60 minute brews although toned down. The maple is definitely present and clamors for attention throughout the brew. A lot more oaky than I was expecting as well. A little watery. I wouldn't say the flavors meld perfectly together, but they complement decently. DFH's IPAs are malty to start with, so there is a lot of sweetness here.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, moreso than you'd expect for a 7.5% IPA, is a little sweet and cloying but finishes dry enough

Overall this is an interesting experiment and one I'd like to try fresh for comparison. A solid offering from DFH but it wouldn't make it onto my everyday rotation. (1,047 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From 750 mL bottle to nonic pint glass

A: The brew is an opaque apricot-orange in appearance and forms a huge marshmallow-y head that almost never recedes.

S: Has a strangely subdued nose for the style, although I wonder if the huge pillowy head is blocking the bouquet. Wet floral hops are first detected; earthy and tea-like. Biscuity malts balance, with notes of citrus rind lingering.

T: The flavors are more distinct, and the tea-like floral hops are right up front. The hop profile yields notes of orange pith and grass. The honey-sweet aspects are weighty, with subtle notes of ripe fruit. There's a slight metallic note toward the end - not quite phenolic or spicy, but minerally, and it throws the palate off a bit. But it doesn't linger in the bitter-sweet, medium finish.

M: Chewy and creamy in texture, a lot like a higher ABV brew. Ample carbonation keeps the palate clean between sips.

Not a bad brew, fairly layered and interesting. This is distinctly NOT a West Coast style, which is normally my preference, but this works with what they were trying to do. (1,078 characters)

Big fan of Dogfish...finally found this beer at their brewpub in Delaware...cask conditioned.

A - Muddy, cloudy brown...bubbly on top
S - Hops, spiciness, caramelized sugar...among other amazing scents.
T - Perfect. Like a brown ale followed by hops and spice...aftertaste of sugar
M - Served at 55º...creamy just amazing

O - I've never had this beer from a bottle for regular tap line but I'm sure its amazing, as are their other beers. If you ever come across a cask of this beer, even if you don't like IPA's....GET IT! (526 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into my chalice with a hazy, pulpy-looking apricot golden with a one finger thick head that doesn't stick around.
I smell orange peel, herb notes, a light pine scent as well. Smells quite refreshing to me.
Tastes similar to what my nose picked up. It's juicy and then bitter, with the citrus dominating and, to my pleasant surprise, the maple syrup takes a muted back seat to the hops. Whatever role the syrup plays I like the end whole result, as an IPA flavored like maple syrup appeals to me in no way whatsoever. It comes off to me as a unique IPA with citrus zest. Of all other DFH IPA's I've tried, the citrus profile of this one reminds me most of the retired Squall. I least favor the 60 minute, but for a blend of the 60/90, this works. There's a puckering tart in the finish, yet doesn't come off overly dry. Nicely balanced, and with medium carbonation, and a lighter body makes for smooth sipping. Would like to see 6-packs. I hope this is on Texas shelves more regularly; should i have picked up more than one bottle? (1,039 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

75 Minute pours a hazy, medium amber, but seems to clear up a bit as it settles. A big, thick, white head with good retention makes for really good lacing.

The aroma is a nice mix of floral and grapefruit hops, with a light touch of malts to keep it well balanced. There's some pine that comes hidden in the end.

The taste is similar to the aroma. Beginning with a floral hop flavor and a touch of sweetness, there's some pine flavors towards the end with maybe just a hint of the maple syrup. For being a mixture of two continually-hopped IPAs, 75 minute is amazingly well balanced.

That balance is helped by nice, smooth mouthfeel that comes from the bottle conditioning.

Considering how well-known Dogfish is for its world-class IPAs, 75 Minute might be its best, so that's saying something. (798 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, dryer orange citrus rind like hops. In the taste, orange citrus hops, a dryer end, and a nice maltiness. A smooth and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry orange citrus rind in the aftertaste. A bit malt heavy, but really nice nonetheless. (307 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Slightly hazed iced tea color with a rocky and dimpled head that lingers very long. Low aroma of sweet malt, caramel, some piney hops and orange rind. Flavor is a bit rough-edged, a bit boozy upfront, thick honey malt, firm bitterness, but the hop flavor is subdued. Maple syrup emerges noticeably in the finish, semi sweet, it polishes up the rough edge. Mouthfeel is full and rich, with a warming of the cheeks, a bit slick. Interesting beer, seems like a novelty. I might prefer sixty minute or ninety minute each on their own. (530 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A:
Pours a slightly cloud golden yellow with a creamy off-white head that porurs really active before settling down to a nice patchy cap of foam. Okay retention; really sticky, stringy lacing.

S:
Hops right off the bat. Sage, pine, orange. Not super-stanky hop-wise.

T:
Good earthy hops throughout. Right up front there are some earthy, almost burnt tones, followed by and increasingly mineraley, mellow finish. Definitely changes as it warms with a little more warm sweet tones in the finish. Quite complex once you stop to notice it, but it drinks smooth enough that one could be forgiven for not taking the time to notice.

M:
Thin and mellow, but the head compensates by being good and creamy. Not really forceful in any way. Medium body; carbonation is a nice crisp alternative to the pervasive hoppiness.

O:
Really good. I was skeptical, but this beer definitely kind of nudged my opinion that random outside ingredients (in this case Maple Syrup) ruin many an otherwise-good brew. It really is pretty complex taste- and mouthfeel-wise. Also, their little blurb on the bottle about it being juuuussst riiiight makes sense to me when I think about it next to other APAs and IPAs that I have had the pleasure of sampling.

Probably a good IPA for someone who has been burned by a too-hoppy version, or thinks they all taste like chewing a pinecone. Really notable changes as it warms. Would drink again, no doubt about it. (1,430 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The appearance was dark gold to copper with a very prominant head.
The smell was overtly hoppy in a good way due to the dry hopping.
The taste was definitlely hoppy. A lot of hop flavors goin on. With spicy, resiny hop notes. Not sure what the maple syrup brought to the party until almost room temperature. At almost room temperature the previously hidden alcohol also came forward.
The mouthfeel was kind of thin. Maybe due to the maple syrup addition which also boosted the alcohol content. (495 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a tulip , deep golden colored beer with a 3 finger head that stays through the entire drink with tons of lacing

Smell is very balanced , hops , malt and booze all mix together but seems to be missing a really great aroma of the hops and malt

Mouth on this beer is perfect for the style , just enough carbonation to offset it

Taste is almost kind of bland to me , it starts off hoppy and malty and quickly switches to a dry alcohol finish , I know the extra sugars from the Maple Syrup causes that , Ive made a few home brews with brown sugar that end up the same way ,too clean a yeast for so much sugar

Overall it's not a bad beer , I won't seek one out again ,but wouldn't turn one down either (723 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

It's just good enough. As the label will have it, when 60 minute's too little and 90's too much, 75's juust riiight. Well, it just so happens to be - at 7.5 ABV, it's easily something that isn't too overpowering, especially considering it comes in singles and not a 4-pk.
The maple slips right beneath the nose and initial taste, but its presence is definitely accounted for. Its more of a taste than it is a smell, much like the honey in Bell's Hopslam or Great Lakes' Christmas. I like to say it's an 'old' flavor.

Ballgame on, reel in the water, two 75 minutes in the cooler with a few other solid cans of good stuff. It's a boat beer -

Worth seeking out if you're not in the region. (689 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks TravisR!

What a pretty beer... lively amber gold body capped with a creamy few fingers of eggshell head that paints all sorts of lace right up until the end of the glass.

Citric hops, caramel, pine, vanilla, sweet pale fruit flavors... nice.

Interesting. I'm surprised by how well placed the maple syrup addition is. I don't think of that as a very welcomed flavor in the IPA world but this definitely works. Smooth citrus hops with subtly sweet maple that offers the balance of a solid malt backbone without overpowering the hop character of the beer.

Totally caught off guard by this. Really great - thanks Travis! (627 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

May 25th, 2013

Pours a golden orange with a finger of head. Lace sticks all the way down the glass.

Spicy cascade hops in the nose mesh well with a malty and maple-y sweetness. The maple syrup is earthy and spicy in the nose with notes of pumpkin. Citrus from the Cascades is also present and adds a nice refreshing note.

Upfront on the palate fresh hops dominate with spice and citrus but maple and malt sweetness quickly take over midpalate with earthy and spicy undertones. The long finish is a great mix of hoppy bitterness and malt/maple sweetness.

The mouthfeel is ridiculously silky and brilliantly rounded. It's surprisingly heavy, the big malt body in combination with the maple syrup, make for a medium to heavy mouthfeel.

Overall this is a really nice IPA and I'm really liking the maple syrup addition. It's quaffable and so tasty. The malt body of 90 Minute dominates here and it meshes well with the maple syrup. (935 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours hazy orange with an inch of bubbly white head.

Citrus is dominant at first. Peach, orange, and some pine a prevalent. Resinous hoppiness, mildly sweet malt aromas.

More hoppy resin notes in taste, tropics, pineapple, juiciness, big dry bitterness. Some balance in sweetness.

Finally. This is where the maple syrup shines. Very nice body on this IPA. Gorgeous feel. Dry finish with bitterness.

Great blend of DFH IPA classics. Glad I could try this but I don't think I would spend the money again. (507 characters)

75 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery