75 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

75 Minute IPA75 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: ManekiNeko on 02-06-2004

Blend two Dogfish Head favorites, add maple syrup and carbonate the mixture naturally. What do you get? 75 Minute IPA.

The carbon dioxide trapped during bottle conditioning gives 75 Minute IPA a soft and velvety mouthfeel. Dry-hopped with whole-leaf Cascades, this complex IPA has been known to inspire pilgrimages to our brewpub.
Reviews: 606 | Hads: 3,280
3.92/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

November 27, 2014

750 ml bottle, tulip glass

A – Massive, frothy, somewhat craggy off-white to light tan head, at least three inches tall and taking forever to dissipate (and therefore to finish pouring.) Definitely an effect of bottle conditioning with the maple syrup. Beer is deep amber and slightly hazy, with some coppery notes.

S – Fairly malty, with a sweet biscuit scent. Toffee-ish, caramel, amber pancake syrup. Some orangey aromas from the hops along with some fruity esters, perhaps hearty apples. Mango and other tropical hop notes. Very fruity and sweet.

T – Mostly toffee and caramel, with the breakfast biscuit character coming through. The maple syrup isn’t obvious, but knowing it’s there helps to identify it. The orange is present as a mild flavor, with the taste of grapefruit, pineapple, possibly honeydew showing. Light bitterness in the finish.

M – Very highly carbonated, again due to the bottle conditioning, very sudsy and filling. Some juiciness up front with the fruit flavors but a dry sensation on the finish. Bitterness in the aftertaste welcomes the next sip.

O – As a lover of 90 Minute IPA but only a casual fan of 60 Minute, not surprising that this comes in somewhere in the middle for me. The syrup / bottle-conditioning gives this a Belgian pale or IPA feel, and it’s going well with my Thanksgiving dinner, but it’s not quite an excellent beer. (1,416 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%

Look: Copper to orange in color. Hazy; opaque. Lots of medium bubbles when poured. HUGE 3+ finger slightly tan creamy head that slowly dies down leaving an uneven coating of foam on the surface of the beer and lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Perfect!

Smell: Mild hoppy aroma combined with slight smell sweet smell of the maple syrup. Nice.

Taste: Smooth mildly sweet start with slight taste of the maple, ends with a mild delicious hoppy flavor. Complex and unique. Definite ipa taste; but smoother than the typical ipa with a nice sweet touch.

Feel: Medium body. Smooth, velvety mouth feel. Mild carbonation. Slightly dry finish. Perfect.

Overall: Fantastic beer. Unique flavor. Smooth. I would love to drink this again! (761 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Amber, thick head - dissipates after about 6min - leaves quite a bit of a lacing all the way up the glass
S- can't smell much don't know if that's just my nose right now or if it doesn't have a very strong aroma. Somewhat malty with citrus notes
T - very smooth, great amount of hoppy biterness, tastes a lot like a smooth 90min IPA. The hops and the malts are very balanced, it's smooth with a dry hoppy finish
O - for my preference of bitterness, this is a perfect IPA, nothing harsh that kicks you in the face, has a nice warm taste with a subtle hop aftertaste (567 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -14.1%

Look 9/10
Smell 17/20
Taste 32/40
Feel 6/10
Drinkability 17/20

Overall 81/100

Real chunky body, has a syrupy feel to it. I suppose I like dry, crisp, thin IPA's. So be warned that my opinion in this one could skew bias. It has more malt than I personally prefer. Others may like that it's balanced out. Over all, the maple is rather subdued and not featured as much a I expected. At least not for me. Overall, has all the other redundant IPA characteristics. 'Bitter, citrus, earthiness.... Etc' None jump out. Was ok, but left me with a flat impression~ (639 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

750 mL brown bottle, packed on 5/13/14. Drank it 8/31/14, reviewed from notes. The body was apricot color with a light haze. The head was frothy and white.

The smell was peaches and bread crust. Orange peel and whole wheat bread. Some spicy hops.

The taste was bright but not harsh hops bitterness. Sweet, maple syrup I suppose. Not really tasting the maple syrup but just a sweetness.

The mouthfeel was medium to full and there was a smoothness, almost slick in the mouth. Unfortunately this one s=doesn't really stand out to me. (536 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle poured into Spiegelau glass. Opened and reviewed at approximately 70 days from bottling. Served at 50 degrees.

A: Pours a slightly hazy dark straw color with an aggressive 2 fingers of head that reduces at a fairly slow rate and leaves a small amount of lacing.
S: On the front I get mainly pine, but it's quite soft. On the back end I detect the maple, but again, pretty soft. Aroma is a lot more subdued than I would have expected, however in have to imagine it's faded since bottling.
T: Pine and slight citrus early and throughout, with a hint of maple lingering in the after taste. I was hoping for a lot more maple syrup, but I am glad it's there at all.
M: Carbed well, feels very smooth, and leaves a slightly dry after taste.
O: I am a little disappointed in this one, solely because I was hoping for more hops and more maple syrup. The syrup did start to come through more as the glass warmed up, but only slightly. I will absolutely keep my eyes open for a fresher bottle, I really like the take on the style, just wish the characteristics were more pronounced. (1,085 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA

Poured from bottle into shaker pint. Served chilled...

A) A cloudy orange brew with a big fluffy head. Excellent retention and lacing.

S) Light citrus and some flower petal. Not much hop bitterness. More of sweet aroma. Could be the maple syrup I suppose.

T) Pretty sweet initially... Syrup sweetness, like a little bit of canned peaches. Then some dry hopped bitterness hits. Light alcohol warmth.

M) Medium to full bodied... The carbonation is lively enough. To me it's a sticky palate coater. Finishes up dry and a little bitter.

O) Really enjoyed the sweetness on the nose and in the flavor, which I'm attributing to the maple syrup. I'd go for this one again. Glad to recommend. (716 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -6.3%

I'm updating this rating. Still yummy, but could use a bolder hop profile.

Original: "Delicious and nearly impossible to find outside of their brewpub."

BTW, I found a bomber at Total Wine and am drinking it now. (215 characters)

Appearance is a darker shade of amber with a vintage white, inch high fluff of a head. Aroma is sweet, a bit reminiscent of brown sugar, along with the obvious citrus hops coming through. The flavor itself is intensely bitter and coarse, much more so than expected, and carries that 'resinous' characteristic. The maple syrup aspect is perceived to my tastebuds more like a molasses flavoring, and the finish comes with some heat. Recommended for major hop heads only! (469 characters)

From notes on 12/30/13

Poured from a bomber. Lots of head. Both beers poured from the bottle foamed over. Nice hazy orange color. Very citrusy smell. Small amount of malt in the aroma, but no sweetness. Just finished a 90 minute before trying this, and 75 minute is definitely smoother. Lots of citrus flavor. Maybe some smoothness from the maple, but not much maple taste. Overall, this is better then 90 minute. (414 characters)

This pours a hazy, dirty yellow color with a thick, foamy beige head. The aroma is full of malts and hints of hops. The taste is big, complex and full of flavors. The maple really smooths out the flavor of the IPA giving it a much weaker hoppy flavor than I expected. Very interesting and a must try as with any Dogfish head beer. (332 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A. Beautiful dark orange/brown/yellow color that you cannot see through. HUGE head when poured into a tulip glass.

S. Sweet - alcohol. Honey, alcohol, maple syrup notes but not dominate (maybe in my head, as I am half in the bag right now).

T. Pin in the front. Malt in the middle, maple syrup on the finish, so I am drinking this slowly. Need to get to the delayed finish in every sip.

m. Wow- super smooth, but the alcohol dries out the mouth before the maple comes in.

o. Outstanding beer - the only issue I have with it is the alcohol hit for a 7.5 APV beer. DFH 60 still rains supreme for me - but this is not far behind. (631 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -2%

Poured from the 22oz bomber into a snifter.
Pours a medium amber with lots of foamy head, at least 2 fingers worth. Great lacing.
Smells complex. Sweetness of maple and malt, some good hop aromas.
Taste is also complex. Hops and maple are balanced with malt. I get different tastes on different parts of my tongue.
Mouthfeel is soft as DFH promotes.
Overall, a nice beer. Complex, maybe the different flavors are a touch muddled, but I really enjoyed it. (454 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy brownish straw color with two fingers of head that enjoyed a lengthy period of retention and left intricate lace behind. The nose is slightly citrusy. The flavor profile is also citrusy with some hops and a slight trace of maple sweetness on the finish.

I really like DFH 60 and I love DFH 90 – I guess that you can’t simply meet in between. (361 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours an amber colour, slight cloud with nice foamy cream-coloured head. Retains thick and beautiful; massive even. Looks nice and sticky.

Smells fairly malty upfront. Caramel sweetness with a touch of bitter nuts. British-style hops come through on the back, slightly herbal and grassy with a subdued citrus kick. Not bad.

Taste is a lot more complex. Similar malty notes upfront but more on the sweet side, with caramel and vanilla dominating. Blends seamlessly into a big woody finish with actual notes of dry wood on there - oak and possibly pine character that is complemented somewhat by the hops. Quite herbal with a touch of mint as well, and very oaky. Pleasant indeed.

Body is nice and full with a good texture and slight warming alcohol presence. Smooth as.

Pleasant beer, possibly a little light on the mid-palate but it finishes with a big bang of flavour that's very well balanced. (899 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tasted On: 07-08-2014
Freshness: Bottled on 02-13-2014
Packaging: 750ml brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Nonic pint
Purchased: Single from Chuck's, Bowling Green KY

Massive off-white head sits on the cloudy, honey-colored beer. Both lacing and head retention are superb.

Smells have floral hops, then citrus as in a lemon zest. Also green grapes and must. Very aromatic

There is at first citrus and lemon tastes, which are a bit of a surprise, followed then by bitter citrus hops and tropical fruits like mango. Has some sweetness and also tart qualities.

Body and carbonation are moderate. The finish is semi-dry and has grassiness as well as a lemony tang.

A very interesting beer — I wasn't expecting the lemony features. A good beer that maybe would be better described as a Belgian IPA. (801 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I will agree with the stated description that it does have a very smooth and "velvety" mouthfeel. I just have to rely on others that say this is due to the bottle conditioning (because I'm not smart enough to know that). I don't necessarily agree with the comps on the side as this is just not all that hoppy. You can feel the 7.5%, but it doesn't overwhelm. I did pour it gently into an IPA glass and the head was enormous. I thought I messed up the first pour, but the second was just the same. Not sure if it was the glass or the beer causing this. However, after calming down, it was a pure treat to drink. I shared this one with the wife and the other will be shared with my drinking buddies. Well done, DFH! (713 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 ml into a snifter at around 45 degrees Fahrenheit

Appearance: Hazy orange golden color; This has to be the most carbonated beer I've had with a foamy four finger off white head. It kept coming and coming and would've overflowed if I had not slurped it up.

Smell: Sweet malt characteristics I get from 90 minute and some citrus

Taste: Sweet and toasted malts upfront that mellow out to a citrus hop aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and just right for the style; Very smooth for an IPA, yet has moderate bitterness throughout. Exceptional

Overall: I got home and realized this bottle was 8 months old. However, unlike west coast hop bombs with the same age, this held up very well in my opinion. I may be getting more malt than when fresh, but since it's apparently malty in the first place, age isn't a huge setback. I still think that if youre going to pay $10 or more for a bomber or 750 ml, the beer should be relatively fresh, or discounted otherwise. I would love to try a fresh batch and will definitely check the dates from now on before purchasing. Still a well made beer and recommended! (1,120 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

750mL bottle poured into DFH glass. Bottled on 5/13/14

A-Hazy soft brown body that pours a huge dense head. Retention is stong with this beer.

S-Resinous, piney, lemon rind, citrus with a almost toffee aroma coming through. The maple syrup is detectable through the hop forward aroma.

T-The bitterness you would expect from the aroma is well balanced with malt and maple syrup. Slightly sweet at first with a bread crust, syrup like sweetness. The citrus flavor is strong throughout this beer with the maple syrup playing a larger role in the overall flavor than in the smell.

M-Full bodied beer with great carbonation.

O-Enjoy this beer much more than 60 or 90 minute now. BUT blending both 60 and 90 worked out very well and the maple syrup used to carbonate the beer naturally adds a distinct flavor that helps to balance out the beer and create a entirely new beer in and of its self. (893 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look - copper orange color. Can't see through it, very thick. Constant bubbles. Light foam that went away quick.
Smell - wow, crazy new smell. Hops hops hops. Sweet grapefruit pine smell. From the smell of it u feel like this beer is going to stick to my teeth.
Taste - not what I was expecting after smelling it. First thing I noticed was the sweet maple syrup followed by a earthy rye taste. Has a slight lime with maybe a hint of orange.
Feel - great smooth but thick beer. Like I said with the smell, this beer seems to stick to your teeth, fantastic! Great amount of carbonation, I'd say perfect for the beer.
Overall - nothing like the 60 or 90 minute. This is so much more complex. I really love the beer but I'm sure I'll probably by the 60 and 90 several times before coming back to this only because of the price. Great beer though! (842 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle poured into Spiegelau tulip.

A: Pours clear tangerine-orange with huge, foamy, off-white head that never completely disappears.

S: Grapefruit, orange, and light pine. Sweet.

T: Grapefruit, pine, lime, caramel malt, breadiness, and only lightly bitter. No maple.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Super creamy and gentle feeling.

O: Goes down so easy. I understand this is essentially a blend of 60 and 90 Minute - This is my first Dogfish brew, so I can't make any direct comparisons to those. It's definitely well rounded and is worthy of a try. The only downside I can think of is that the 750ml format is not the most ideal vessel when it comes to $$. (681 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%

$14.99 750ml bottle. Bottled awhile ago on 2/12/14, poured on 6/25/14. A bit older than I like my IPAs, but we'll see how this turns out.

Appearance: Being bottle conditioned, I thought to pour slowly until the end. Slightly hazy gold color with an insane amount of carbonation in my laser etched glass. Crazy big head like I expected on this one that's a soapy and foamy consistency, which helps to leave a thick wall of lacing. Looks nice, especially with all of that carbonation.

Smell: Interesting and not what I was expecting -- earthy, is my first thought. Apricots, pine, grapefruit, and sort of an autumn leaf aroma as well. Smells a bit "dirty", if you will. Smells a bit familiar to me, but I can't remember what beer it smells like off the top of my head.

Taste/feel: Disappointing first sip for me, but as I went on, I was impressed by the flavor depth. First thing I taste is that almost rye malt, autumn leaf sort of thing. Next I get some citrus fruitiness and spiciness from the hops, and then, sure enough, a combination of the two on the finish with maybe the slightest hint of that maple syrup, but it's very subtle. Slightly bitter, but not as bitter as I was expecting it to be. The added yeast, I feel, helps to make this a completely different beer over simply "60 Minute and 90 Minute combined" more so than the syrup. The feel is silky/creamy, likely from the syrup, but there's also a sharp bit of prickly carbonation as well. Very nice.

Overall, I supppose I can taste the 60 and 90 minute flavors in this beer. There's the brightness from the 60 minute hops, but then the malt profile i associate with 90 minute. The syrup doesn't add a ton in the way of flavor, but it adds a little, and it makes for a great, unique sort of mouthfeel. I'd like to try this beer a bit fresher (my bottle is over four months old), but it's still tasting pretty good regardless. I'm not too sure it's worth $14 a bottle, but it's still a beer worth experiencing. I'd try it again if I saw it on tap or in a fresher bottle. (2,037 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

06/19/13 From a cask. A very big beer. First nose is orange/citrusy. Wonderful body. Just right.

Lingering aftertaste that makes you want to return to the well.

Finding this here, in a cask, is like finding Megan Fox sitting at the next table in a restaurant.

Drink it in 'cause you know I won't happen again. (315 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 1 pint 9.4 oz bottle into a tulip. Bottled on 02/12/14.
Poured a beautiful golden orange color with a sick amount of frothy white head
Left an incredible amount of lacing in the glass
Since it is a 4 month old bottle I am getting the faintest aroma of hops, some pine and citrus with a malty sweetness
Still has a great bitterness with a nice malty sweetness on the end.
Bottle conditioning still produced a great amount of carbonation.
Overall, I think this falls right in the middle (where it's supposed to) of the bitterness of the 60 minute and the what I thought was over-maltiness of the 90 minute. One I will definitely pick up again when I find it! (671 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy caramel color with a modest off white head and thick lacing. The nose is citrusy, floral and slightly sweet. The mouth feel is medium bodied and velvety with nice carbonation. The taste is slightly bready, but the citrus hops shine through. The sweetness from the maple syrup is perfectly balanced. Overall, this beer drinks incredibly well for being such a complex IPA. (385 characters)

75 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery