75 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

75 Minute IPA75 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: ManekiNeko on 02-06-2004

Blend two Dogfish Head favorites, add maple syrup and carbonate the mixture naturally. What do you get? 75 Minute IPA.

The carbon dioxide trapped during bottle conditioning gives 75 Minute IPA a soft and velvety mouthfeel. Dry-hopped with whole-leaf Cascades, this complex IPA has been known to inspire pilgrimages to our brewpub.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 75 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,266 | Reviews: 622

From notes on 12/30/13

Poured from a bomber. Lots of head. Both beers poured from the bottle foamed over. Nice hazy orange color. Very citrusy smell. Small amount of malt in the aroma, but no sweetness. Just finished a 90 minute before trying this, and 75 minute is definitely smoother. Lots of citrus flavor. Maybe some smoothness from the maple, but not much maple taste. Overall, this is better then 90 minute.

This pours a hazy, dirty yellow color with a thick, foamy beige head. The aroma is full of malts and hints of hops. The taste is big, complex and full of flavors. The maple really smooths out the flavor of the IPA giving it a much weaker hoppy flavor than I expected. Very interesting and a must try as with any Dogfish head beer.

4.11/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A. Beautiful dark orange/brown/yellow color that you cannot see through. HUGE head when poured into a tulip glass.

S. Sweet - alcohol. Honey, alcohol, maple syrup notes but not dominate (maybe in my head, as I am half in the bag right now).

T. Pin in the front. Malt in the middle, maple syrup on the finish, so I am drinking this slowly. Need to get to the delayed finish in every sip.

m. Wow- super smooth, but the alcohol dries out the mouth before the maple comes in.

o. Outstanding beer - the only issue I have with it is the alcohol hit for a 7.5 APV beer. DFH 60 still rains supreme for me - but this is not far behind.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from the 22oz bomber into a snifter.
Pours a medium amber with lots of foamy head, at least 2 fingers worth. Great lacing.
Smells complex. Sweetness of maple and malt, some good hop aromas.
Taste is also complex. Hops and maple are balanced with malt. I get different tastes on different parts of my tongue.
Mouthfeel is soft as DFH promotes.
Overall, a nice beer. Complex, maybe the different flavors are a touch muddled, but I really enjoyed it.

3.77/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy brownish straw color with two fingers of head that enjoyed a lengthy period of retention and left intricate lace behind. The nose is slightly citrusy. The flavor profile is also citrusy with some hops and a slight trace of maple sweetness on the finish.

I really like DFH 60 and I love DFH 90 – I guess that you can’t simply meet in between.

3.91/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours an amber colour, slight cloud with nice foamy cream-coloured head. Retains thick and beautiful; massive even. Looks nice and sticky.

Smells fairly malty upfront. Caramel sweetness with a touch of bitter nuts. British-style hops come through on the back, slightly herbal and grassy with a subdued citrus kick. Not bad.

Taste is a lot more complex. Similar malty notes upfront but more on the sweet side, with caramel and vanilla dominating. Blends seamlessly into a big woody finish with actual notes of dry wood on there - oak and possibly pine character that is complemented somewhat by the hops. Quite herbal with a touch of mint as well, and very oaky. Pleasant indeed.

Body is nice and full with a good texture and slight warming alcohol presence. Smooth as.

Pleasant beer, possibly a little light on the mid-palate but it finishes with a big bang of flavour that's very well balanced.

4.04/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tasted On: 07-08-2014
Freshness: Bottled on 02-13-2014
Packaging: 750ml brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Nonic pint
Purchased: Single from Chuck's, Bowling Green KY

Massive off-white head sits on the cloudy, honey-colored beer. Both lacing and head retention are superb.

Smells have floral hops, then citrus as in a lemon zest. Also green grapes and must. Very aromatic

There is at first citrus and lemon tastes, which are a bit of a surprise, followed then by bitter citrus hops and tropical fruits like mango. Has some sweetness and also tart qualities.

Body and carbonation are moderate. The finish is semi-dry and has grassiness as well as a lemony tang.

A very interesting beer — I wasn't expecting the lemony features. A good beer that maybe would be better described as a Belgian IPA.

4.68/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I will agree with the stated description that it does have a very smooth and "velvety" mouthfeel. I just have to rely on others that say this is due to the bottle conditioning (because I'm not smart enough to know that). I don't necessarily agree with the comps on the side as this is just not all that hoppy. You can feel the 7.5%, but it doesn't overwhelm. I did pour it gently into an IPA glass and the head was enormous. I thought I messed up the first pour, but the second was just the same. Not sure if it was the glass or the beer causing this. However, after calming down, it was a pure treat to drink. I shared this one with the wife and the other will be shared with my drinking buddies. Well done, DFH!

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 ml into a snifter at around 45 degrees Fahrenheit

Appearance: Hazy orange golden color; This has to be the most carbonated beer I've had with a foamy four finger off white head. It kept coming and coming and would've overflowed if I had not slurped it up.

Smell: Sweet malt characteristics I get from 90 minute and some citrus

Taste: Sweet and toasted malts upfront that mellow out to a citrus hop aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and just right for the style; Very smooth for an IPA, yet has moderate bitterness throughout. Exceptional

Overall: I got home and realized this bottle was 8 months old. However, unlike west coast hop bombs with the same age, this held up very well in my opinion. I may be getting more malt than when fresh, but since it's apparently malty in the first place, age isn't a huge setback. I still think that if youre going to pay $10 or more for a bomber or 750 ml, the beer should be relatively fresh, or discounted otherwise. I would love to try a fresh batch and will definitely check the dates from now on before purchasing. Still a well made beer and recommended!

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

750mL bottle poured into DFH glass. Bottled on 5/13/14

A-Hazy soft brown body that pours a huge dense head. Retention is stong with this beer.

S-Resinous, piney, lemon rind, citrus with a almost toffee aroma coming through. The maple syrup is detectable through the hop forward aroma.

T-The bitterness you would expect from the aroma is well balanced with malt and maple syrup. Slightly sweet at first with a bread crust, syrup like sweetness. The citrus flavor is strong throughout this beer with the maple syrup playing a larger role in the overall flavor than in the smell.

M-Full bodied beer with great carbonation.

O-Enjoy this beer much more than 60 or 90 minute now. BUT blending both 60 and 90 worked out very well and the maple syrup used to carbonate the beer naturally adds a distinct flavor that helps to balance out the beer and create a entirely new beer in and of its self.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look - copper orange color. Can't see through it, very thick. Constant bubbles. Light foam that went away quick.
Smell - wow, crazy new smell. Hops hops hops. Sweet grapefruit pine smell. From the smell of it u feel like this beer is going to stick to my teeth.
Taste - not what I was expecting after smelling it. First thing I noticed was the sweet maple syrup followed by a earthy rye taste. Has a slight lime with maybe a hint of orange.
Feel - great smooth but thick beer. Like I said with the smell, this beer seems to stick to your teeth, fantastic! Great amount of carbonation, I'd say perfect for the beer.
Overall - nothing like the 60 or 90 minute. This is so much more complex. I really love the beer but I'm sure I'll probably by the 60 and 90 several times before coming back to this only because of the price. Great beer though!

4.29/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle poured into Spiegelau tulip.

A: Pours clear tangerine-orange with huge, foamy, off-white head that never completely disappears.

S: Grapefruit, orange, and light pine. Sweet.

T: Grapefruit, pine, lime, caramel malt, breadiness, and only lightly bitter. No maple.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Super creamy and gentle feeling.

O: Goes down so easy. I understand this is essentially a blend of 60 and 90 Minute - This is my first Dogfish brew, so I can't make any direct comparisons to those. It's definitely well rounded and is worthy of a try. The only downside I can think of is that the 750ml format is not the most ideal vessel when it comes to $$.

3.96/5  rDev -3.9%

$14.99 750ml bottle. Bottled awhile ago on 2/12/14, poured on 6/25/14. A bit older than I like my IPAs, but we'll see how this turns out.

Appearance: Being bottle conditioned, I thought to pour slowly until the end. Slightly hazy gold color with an insane amount of carbonation in my laser etched glass. Crazy big head like I expected on this one that's a soapy and foamy consistency, which helps to leave a thick wall of lacing. Looks nice, especially with all of that carbonation.

Smell: Interesting and not what I was expecting -- earthy, is my first thought. Apricots, pine, grapefruit, and sort of an autumn leaf aroma as well. Smells a bit "dirty", if you will. Smells a bit familiar to me, but I can't remember what beer it smells like off the top of my head.

Taste/feel: Disappointing first sip for me, but as I went on, I was impressed by the flavor depth. First thing I taste is that almost rye malt, autumn leaf sort of thing. Next I get some citrus fruitiness and spiciness from the hops, and then, sure enough, a combination of the two on the finish with maybe the slightest hint of that maple syrup, but it's very subtle. Slightly bitter, but not as bitter as I was expecting it to be. The added yeast, I feel, helps to make this a completely different beer over simply "60 Minute and 90 Minute combined" more so than the syrup. The feel is silky/creamy, likely from the syrup, but there's also a sharp bit of prickly carbonation as well. Very nice.

Overall, I supppose I can taste the 60 and 90 minute flavors in this beer. There's the brightness from the 60 minute hops, but then the malt profile i associate with 90 minute. The syrup doesn't add a ton in the way of flavor, but it adds a little, and it makes for a great, unique sort of mouthfeel. I'd like to try this beer a bit fresher (my bottle is over four months old), but it's still tasting pretty good regardless. I'm not too sure it's worth $14 a bottle, but it's still a beer worth experiencing. I'd try it again if I saw it on tap or in a fresher bottle.

4.54/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

06/19/13 From a cask. A very big beer. First nose is orange/citrusy. Wonderful body. Just right.

Lingering aftertaste that makes you want to return to the well.

Finding this here, in a cask, is like finding Megan Fox sitting at the next table in a restaurant.

Drink it in 'cause you know I won't happen again.

4.08/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 1 pint 9.4 oz bottle into a tulip. Bottled on 02/12/14.
Poured a beautiful golden orange color with a sick amount of frothy white head
Left an incredible amount of lacing in the glass
Since it is a 4 month old bottle I am getting the faintest aroma of hops, some pine and citrus with a malty sweetness
Still has a great bitterness with a nice malty sweetness on the end.
Bottle conditioning still produced a great amount of carbonation.
Overall, I think this falls right in the middle (where it's supposed to) of the bitterness of the 60 minute and the what I thought was over-maltiness of the 90 minute. One I will definitely pick up again when I find it!

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy caramel color with a modest off white head and thick lacing. The nose is citrusy, floral and slightly sweet. The mouth feel is medium bodied and velvety with nice carbonation. The taste is slightly bready, but the citrus hops shine through. The sweetness from the maple syrup is perfectly balanced. Overall, this beer drinks incredibly well for being such a complex IPA.

4.41/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thick, tan head pokes out just above the rim. Carbonation is a bit much here. Color is Golden orange. Smells of hops, spice and a bit of syrup. Tastes creamy with a vein of hops in the middle and caramel and maple sweetness all around. Balance is spot on. Medium bodied with a little heat at the back.

Wonderfully smooth and magically delicious!

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Color- hazy autumn amber with sediment. Full head.

Aroma- mild, sweet grapefruit with subtle hint of pine needle.

Taste- Starts with very mild hoppiness, buttery in mid-body finishing with a subtle maple syrup sweetness but not overwhelming (more like a grade B earthy organic maple syrup) with a classic Dogfish lingering finish and overall buttery smoothness. A truly fantastic IPA.

Poured from 750 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 9/7/2013.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

750ml brown bottle purchased from Ales Unlimited in San Francisco. Brought back to Australian and shared with Sam & Rich.

Pours a hazy, rather dark golden colour, like treacle. Head is a huge mass of pillowy white that settles out leaving amazing crackling lace. Body has very solid weight behind it, and holds lots of fine carbonation when tilted. Looks really great.

Nose is a little weak, but with some pleasant if empty hop brightness. There's a slight sugary twang to it, possibly the result of a full fermentation of the maple syrup. Hop character is leafy and slightly herbal, it's quite pleasant.

Taste is probably better. Here there's a solid thickness throughout which provides good sweetness. This is tempered by a slight but distinct bitterness through the back. It's not really very hoppy, but there's some spicy characters which provide an interesting twist. Finish is very pleasant, with a gliding sweetness that smooths over the hoppiness again. Feel is great. Smooth but clean and fluid.

Overall, yep, it's a nice beer. I do believe it's probably more interesting than the 90 and 60m versions, although I perhaps prefer the 90m in isolation.

3.42/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: a nice solid orange color. two fingers of white head that fades slowly and leaves a sticky lacing. hazy and completely opaque.

Smell: a slightly astringent sweetness and some spicey, piney and citrusy hops. slightly muddled sweetness to bitterenss

Taste: opens with citrus and piney hops, lots of sweetness from maple syrup that comes off slightly astringent.

Mouthfeel: pretty bitter, good medium feel and fairly smooth

Overall: I thought this one was a great idea and it did not turn out quite as I hoped. too much fighting between the sweet and bitter and not enough balance.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Being an East Coast guy in Seattle I have to admit, the nostalgia of seeing Dogfish always draws me in. But this beer..is special. It is a high end, perfect segway, introduction to any of your friends who are trying to get to know IPA's a little better. Dogfish is always going to be a front-runner and old power for IPA's, but this Maple syrup blend brings a lot to the table. Off centered ales for off centered people is right! Keep it up Dogfish!

P.S. The price tag at 10.99 for my pint at the Beer Junction in Seattle was also perfect! Keep it there!

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a hazy, golden/copper color. 5/4 inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of citrus hops, floral hops, sweet malt, hint of pale malt, alcohol, and yeast. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, floral hops, sweet malt, hint of pale malt, yeast, alcohol, and hint of caramel malt. Overall, good appearance, aroma, body, and blend. Not too bitter, malt and hops are well balanced, and decent complexity.

4.21/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Light golden-orange ale. Pours a monstrous head which maintains itself for the entire drink. As you sip, however, the liquid flows freely underneath the foam providing a nice look without all the foam in your mouth. Leaves behind mountains of soap did like lacing. Truly gorgeous!

Has a dense, malty, grainy, caramel-like aroma. Definitely getting some of the maple. Hint of herbal hop spice. Very warm, rich and inviting.

Flavor pretty well follows suit. Rich biscuity malt with maple syrup. Assertive herbal, pine-like hop character in excellent balance.

Medium bodied. Smooth feel. Semi dry finish. Mild carbonation. Very easy to drink.

This one gets an A from me. Love the innovation with the addition of maple syrup. Really makes this beer stand out from the thousands of other IPAs out there today.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Big orange peel, a burst in your mouth. The maple syrup truly adds a great mouthfeel to this beer. A slight bitterness added. Very nice vanilla and spice backing on this beer as well.

Overall a nice balanced American IPA. The bitterness is just right, and the sweetness is spot on. Not in an overly malty way.

3.96/5  rDev -3.9%

Big thanks to SebD for sending this out west.

A: Pours a medium amber pumpkin with 4 fingers of off white head which slowly craters leaving clumps of lacing on the side of the glass.

S: Sweet vanilla malts paired with floral and tropical hops. Hints of maple syrup. Extremely smooth and balanced. Less hoppy than I expected.

T: Sweet candied orange peels, hints of woodiness, pale malts and maple syrup. Hops are reserved with slight bitterness on the finish. Well balanced and reminiscent of a DIPA.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Less hoppy and more balanced than what I was expecting, this was an interesting beer that I quite enjoyed.

75 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery