1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

good

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
View: Beers (137) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,641 | Reviews: 1,526 | Show All Ratings:
jeagleton

3.98/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

I love Dogfish Head's Ancient Ales program for many reasons. But the main one is that opening up a bottle of one of these brews is a way of trying to understand the tastes of civilizations past. This beer is, as much as it is asking you to evaluate it based on your contemporary tastes, try and imagine living in a world where while you knead your bread and prevent the swirling dust from getting into your eyes and the dough in your hands. It asks us to reevaluate our position and our expectations of a "beer" and of what we can enjoy and by what criteria. This beer may fall a bit flat to ordinary standard, but it's not an ordinary beer.

03-31-2014 03:37:38 | More by jeagleton
MattyG85

4.21/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice. Bottled on 12/30/13.

Appearance: Pours a bright straw golden orange with a lot of rising bubbles. About one finger of white head that fades into a thin creamy layer. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell: A sweet, fruity, and bready malt forward aroma with hints of honey and fruit. Pale malt with bready hints of biscuit, straw, grains, cracker, and yeast. Big hints of sweet honey, saffron, and sugar. Fruit hints of white grapes, orange, lemon, apple, melon, pineapple, and papaya. Also some spice hints of pepper. A very interesting and solid aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a sweet, fruity, bready, and fairly spicy malt forward taste with big notes of sweet honey and fruits. Upfront pale malt with bready notes of biscuit, cracker, straw, grains, and yeast. Sweet taste of honey along with some saffron and sugar. Fruit notes of white grape, lemon, orange, melon, apple, pineapple, and papaya. Spicy notes of pepper and slight clove. A very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. Sweet, creamy, juicy, and very smooth with very little alcohol heat. Finishes fairly dry.

Overall: A really good and interesting brew. Good fruit esters with a nice sweetness that is big but far from cloying.

03-29-2014 07:31:26 | More by MattyG85
samtrillo

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden amber.

S - Bready-honey-lagery.

T - Like a honey semi-sweet buttery bread. Honestly can't taste the wine grapes but maybe my palate isn't sophisticated enough.

M - Not much carbonation. Malty dryness mixed with the sweet. Not my favorite.

O - I wanted to love this beer. After reading "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" I was very happy to remember this beer by Dogfish head and get a chance to experience an old recipe. Honestly it underwhelmed me. I'm glad a tried it, though. Not something I would buy again considering the price, but I admire Dogfish Head for putting this out.

03-25-2014 07:28:53 | More by samtrillo
bnes09

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lemon, honey color and transparent. Weak head with minimal lacing. Lots of white grapes in the aroma. Sweet and spicy at the same time. Dense malt flavor up front followed by white grapes. Hint of honey ads to the sweetness. Weak hop character, just a mild leaf quality. Medium to full bodied with a sugary texture. Decent carbonation. Overall,a little sweet for my taste but ok for something different.

03-24-2014 02:40:42 | More by bnes09
StuyBeerGuy

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

After a long craft beer drought caused by the budgetary concerns of a recent college graduate I was relieved by a recent windfall which resulted in my acquisition of Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery. I found myself drawn to the concept, after weeks of consuming domestic beer the opportunity to enjoy a brew inspired by one of the earliest breweries had me excited.

After opening the bottle and pouring its contents into a pint glass I found myself intrigued by the amber hues with strong condensation and the thin white had that dissipated rapidly. The scent of honey and flower brought to mind a picture of the earliest sedentary societies and for a moment I envisioned what it would be like if I were to share this brew with them.

Following a toast to those who inspired this recipe I sipped the beer and found myself pleasantly surprised to taste a beer with an actual mouthfeel. While beer aficionados frequently laud those brews with a long mouth feel I tend to believe the abundance of carbonation precludes a mouthfeel on par with what a complex wine can offer. In contrast, this honey heavy concoction has a buttery quality that coats the mouth and makes it a great selection to pair with food.

03-21-2014 01:41:51 | More by StuyBeerGuy
bound4er

Wisconsin

3.71/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A. Light amber to dark straw appearance with a moderate white head. Laces quite well.

S. Lemon, grain, buttery honey and faint white wine grape aromas.

T. This is a decent tasting beer but it lacks the sort of freshness and crispness that you'd expect from a beer that incorporates wine grapes into its recipe. Bready grain and a bit of sweetness from the honey are the dominating flavors.

M. Light in body but with good mouthfeel - something pretty rare in the beer world. Low carbonation.

O. Glad I bought a 4-pack but this isn't something I will be rushing out to re-purchase. Interesting tasting brew with a unique aroma and mouthfeel profile.

03-20-2014 01:04:09 | More by bound4er
Caveworm

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

Midas Touch is the first "arcane" style of brew that I've tried. According to some folks, the recipe for this was taken from ancient Sumerian ruins who were the first known civilization to brew. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this brew has a small, finely porous head. There is also a fair amount of carbonation that lingers throughout/

I can very much smell the grapes and honey, but it's not overbearing. It's pleasant and just right.

The grape taste stays for a little bit and then goes away. Again, the grapes and honey are present, but not too much to where it's unpleasant. Midway through the glass, a slight tartness appears.

Mouthfeel is more like wine, surprisingly enough. Call me what you will, but I feel like this is a hybrid. You certainly get that wine type of alcohol warmth, but it is very tame and manageable.

3.5 overall. I like how this toes the line with quite a bit of wine elements, it is very unique. I've certainly never drank a brew that reminded me of wine for all the right reasons. I would recommend this brew to fellow craft enthusiasts that also want to try out an B.C. -era style& also to have it be consumed on a golden autumn evening. I will buy this brew again when I'm feeling like a truly unique experience.

03-19-2014 01:52:52 | More by Caveworm
PA-hunter

4.84/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured bottle into glass. 9% abv

Appearance- Crystal clear golden yellow. Medium head that dissipates quick. Not all that much of carbonation.

Smell- Malt with bread and fruit. Peppery spices here as well. Complex aroma.

Taste- A light biscuit malt flavor transforms almost instantly into a sweet and noticeable punch of fresh grapes. Quite sweet but not overwheming. The sweet honey flavor is on the back end and lingers which is quite nice. Thankfully this beer was not really spicey. Might have caught hints of a spice but I am too unfamiliar with saffron to make an educated say of such.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with medium carbonation. Very fitting for a sweet beer.

Overall- I was blown away by this. This is one of the most complex brews I have had. So incredibly complex. Extremely light, easy drinking, hard to imagine this is 9% abv. This beer should be in a style all to its own. Leave it to Dogfish Head to go totally out of the conventional box. This will now be among my top list of favorite beers.

03-14-2014 03:27:04 | More by PA-hunter
ChristopherProvost

New Hampshire

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: hazy gold color, not much of a head, good upward carbonation cascade, almost zero lacing

Smell: musty, spices and citrus, can't put my finger on it. Mild cloves? Orange?

Taste: definitely NOT hoppy! Hints of honey or agave. Some sort of fruit and spice I can't identify. Bottle says saffron and white muscat grapes.

Mouthfeel: mildly astringent and dry

I'll admit, I only bought this because it was billed as a "Handcrafted Ancient Ale" and I wanted to try something new that wasn't an IPA, stout, or porter. I liked the aroma and the taste, although I had trouble identifying exactly what it was I was smelling and tasting. The only thing I could reliably identify was honey. I even went and smelled different spices from my spice cabinet to try to narrow it down. The bottle said saffron and white muscat grapes, neither of which I am familiar enough with to make any sort of comment on. At any rate it was enjoyable enough and I was happy to expand my palate with it.

03-13-2014 01:49:10 | More by ChristopherProvost
hops202

District of Columbia

4.11/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into dogfish Spiegelau glass.

Looks like golden honey. Smell is of grapes and honey - subtle but sweet notes almost like a flower that I cannot directly name. Taste is honey and grapes as well. Almost similar to champagne/cider combination. Quite delicious!

03-09-2014 21:07:47 | More by hops202
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.96/5  rDev +33.3%

Poured into my trusty pint glass. pale to copperish color. small to medium head. Taste of honey and muscat grapes. an addicting flavor over taste is amazing and mouthful is that of wine so i gave 4.75 instead of a 5. Another great beer from Dogfishhead

03-04-2014 21:34:23 | More by yuenglingfan101
drpaj

3.84/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

- this will be a go to beer from dogfish if I'm I. The fruity mood.
- Wine like taste.
- Like the carbonation (this is like cider)
- Kind of reminds me of champagne/cider.
- nothing special about the color or smells. Golden look.
- liked the idea of an old recipe.

Peter out

03-03-2014 19:51:50 | More by drpaj
whatthehull

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a white wine glass...

A - A translucent golden orange, 1/2 finger very white head and some sugar lacing

S - Very earthy and dry right away, booze, citrus, island fruits and flowers, reminds me of a warm day at a tropical beach, honey, desert wine, saffron, dried out malts and grains, fresh trimmed trees and some dense yeast notes

T - Right off the bat sugar and lots of it, sweet citrus fruits, honey, driftwood, Island fruits, maybe some honey dew or cantaloupe?, very dense bread and almost biscuity, crazy sweet yeast very dry malts, floraly hops and some desert wine like booze

M - Full bodied, nice balance, nice complexity, medium minus acidity and a very sweet, dry, hoppy malty very long finish

D/O - Surprisingly easy to drink for how huge this thing is. It is very dense, very malty, very sugary and yet very good and easy to drink. I'd love to try one of these on cask and/or aged for about 10 years. If you are looking for something different and haven't had one yet, give 'er a try!

Final thoughts - $13 a 4 pack is crazy, not stoked on that. The tatse and 9% abv makes up for it, a little bit

02-28-2014 23:44:55 | More by whatthehull
threeviews

4.7/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled on date: 1/16/13) into a Dogfish Head Signature Glass

A- Pours a slightly hazy, sunset golden orange with barely a 1 finger's worth of a white, frothy head. While there is some sediment floating about, it is nothing close to the 'chunkiness' that I find in other (aged) Dogfish beers. 4.0

S- Not overly complex, but absolutely what I was anticipating. Honey sweetness is the immediate (and dominant) aroma...but the muscat (white) grape aroma flourishes as it warms. Any aroma contributed by the saffron is not apparent...not sure if that is due to the bottle's age. (However, the aroma of saffron is classified as a honey, tea-like which might just be blending together in absolute harmony with the honey and grapes). 4.5

T- Honey/Mead sweetness at the front of the tongue. Mid-palate is met with a mild, white grape tartness along with some orange zest. However, it is in the finish where Midas Touch excels...the flavor (spicy, black tea-like) from the saffron comes in and dries out the sweetness with gentle precision. Being such a fan of Theobroma (also brewed with honey), Midas Touch is reminiscent of it sans the components from the chocolate and heat from the chilies. 5.0

M- Creamy and soft carbonation provides just enough to open the palate, but not enough to intrude on the delicate flavors at play. 4.5

O- Although I would certainly seek out a fresh bottle for a more accurate sensory experience (and am fortunate to learn this is a year-round offering), I am nothing but blown away by what I have sampled at just over a year old. As much as I have endorsed Theobroma and Sah'Tea in previous reviews, this now stands to be my second favorite (to Theobroma and just edging out Sah'Tea) in DFH's Ancient Ale series. As a matter of fact, this just might find its way into my top 20 (if not 10) beers of all-time. 4.5

02-23-2014 21:31:27 | More by threeviews
mte1972

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

2008 bottle. Amber color, mild head, fruity aroma. A balance of fruit, spice, and sweetness, with mild carbonation and medium body. Overall, a really nice, distinctive, balanced beer--nothing I would want a lot of or often, but a very nice experience.

02-22-2014 01:11:50 | More by mte1972
shisto

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This unusual brew is a welcome alternative in the high ABV class. Pour it like a traditional Belgian, but don't expect the overt yeastiness. What awaits is more similar to a double lager: refreshing and gulpable with instant satiety. Notes of grape and honey permeate and bitterness lingers. The aroma is hard to place. Is it a similar smell or something altogether different? Ponder saffron as you drink with king Midas in the afterlife: this beer lives on and so must he.

02-06-2014 07:03:28 | More by shisto
BeerandWhiskeyHQ

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance
Small white foam head, clean amber, with a slight haze depending on the batch
Smell
Smells absolutely delicious of grapes, honey and a hint of alcohol
Taste
Wonderful taste of white grapes, honey, light bodied with a hint of alcohol on the finish
Overall
This was the first of the ancient ales I’ve had and I love it, its sweet, but not too much, the hints of alcohol are welcomed. I highly recommend this one for sure.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

02-03-2014 17:34:52 | More by BeerandWhiskeyHQ
hotpauko

South Carolina

4.11/5  rDev +10.5%

Most are going to review Midas Touch in the realm of 'beer' and what they expect from beer. I am no beer expert, but Midas Touch is somewhere where Dogfish wanted it to be.... a little different, not quite beer, not quite something else. This is a once every couple months drink. It is very different, but very flavorful and very much as they describe it. Your mouth may not pick up the subtleties and flavors, but don't fault this drink for that. It is very different but very much worth a first taste. If you like it, you will be back. It is very sweet, it is very "Egyptian" if you will. Give it a try but only buy one bottle, don't more until you taste it. I am very much a Midas Touch fan.

02-02-2014 00:50:58 | More by hotpauko
poolemhore

Maine

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - poured into a goblet from a 12oz bottle. golden hue with a bit of haze. Really not much of a head at all, minimal lacing.

S - sweet floral scents with a spicy note to it. Perhaps a hint of the alcohol content.

T - honey flavor upfront and very sweet, bitter in the middle which lingers into the finish. Finish ends drier and the alcohol flavor come front and center.

M - very smooth and more viscous than most beers definitely converges toward a mead.

O - not unbalanced but the finish could be more agreeable. I've enjoyed some of the other ancient ales Dogfish has done - this one doesn't excite me very much however.

01-25-2014 19:37:38 | More by poolemhore
neococo

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

I heard about this beer through Beer Advocate initially. The brewery is famous enough, so when I saw a 4-pack for sale I had to grab it.

Upon pouring from the bottle into a standard glass I could hear the sizzle of the carbonation, but it was not too fizzy, and left about a half-inch of foam. The foam did dissipate rather quickly as others have mentioned, but that's fine for me.

The beer did not really smell very strongly, if anything it smells like a light beer.

The taste, to me, almost hints at the taste of a tripel, but not quite. Definitely get a honey/grape flavor. Difficult to tell that its even a 9% ABV.

I think this beer was worth buying, I would get it on tap if I had the opportunity. I would suggest trying it once for sure to decide for yourself.

01-21-2014 04:29:18 | More by neococo
Flopjack

3.98/5  rDev +7%

Bottle into wine glass (as recommended)

Appearance - Golden honey like color that is very transparent. Smaller head that settles quickly.

Smell - A pungent sweetness that immediately gets you thinking about the white grapes. Sweetness also from honey. Dry aroma from the saffron. Alcohol presence brings this ale very close to a white wine.

Taste - Sweet and fruity yet somewhat dry. Grape comes forth in the middle. The taste carries a pleasant bitterness that can be attributed to the saffron and comes forth toward the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium/high carbonation. Medium body yet very smooth. Has a champagne feel to it.

Overall - Good beer time and time again. A little different with high abv yet is incredibly refreshing that you almost forget.

01-19-2014 00:50:40 | More by Flopjack
BierJager89

4.24/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Golden with a white head.

S: Grape, malt, other fruits.

T: Same as the nose, definitely dominated by grape.

M: Medium bodied and smoothish.

O: I loved this beer the first time I had it. It was one of my favorites, but the last time I had it was more than a couple years ago. My notes are extremely minimal, and this was tried (I'm assuming) less than a hundred beers into my journey, when most of the beers I had tried were lagers.

01-18-2014 16:53:40 | More by BierJager89
scratch69

Missouri

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Pale gold color with a fingers worth of head. The head rapidly disappeared with almost no lacing.

Smell- Sweet malt and grape aroma with a hint of saffron.

Taste- Similar to the nose with a touch of honey.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied, crisp, and dry. Light amount of fizzy carbonation.

Overall- Different and enjoyable. I'm sure if I would buy this again but it was kind of cool knowing that I'm drinking a beer brewed from an ancient recipe.

01-14-2014 01:42:49 | More by scratch69
Whiteweasel

4.13/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle and drank from a chalice at ~50 F.

Appearance: Slightly pale golden-orange colour, with little head that dissipates quickly. Lots of suspended solids, some granular, some larger and yeasty.

Smell: Sweet, barley maltiness, combined with a delicious (and unique) dry champagne grape characteristic. Very small amount of hoppiness combined with strong scent of honey and herbal notes, very similar to Ethiopian Tej. Smells amazing.

Taste: Sweet biscuity maltiness, tempered with a little hop bitterness (much more bittering than aromatic). Lots of white or green grapes, quite sweet. Grape blends with a weak honey character. Definitely has a significant yeastiness to it, no surprise as it is quite unfiltered. Could be more complex. Nice grapey aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Leaves a strong sweetness in your mouth, like after too much candy. Some booziness. Nice and thick, viscous mouthfeel.

Overall: Very interesting beer, unlike any beer I've had before. Seems like a hybrid of mead, beer and champagne. Even though the taste could be a little more complex ideally, and the booziness and mouthfeel aren't quite up to the standards of the rest of the beer, it's fantastic. Smells AMAZING, and tastes quite excellent as well. Not to mention the *idea* of this beer is really awesome. Will be picking up again, highly recommended.

01-12-2014 04:46:57 | More by Whiteweasel
ItalianPisces84

Connecticut

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Overall a very solid beer, I have had it a few times, though have yet to find it on tap. The head fades rather quickly and leaves little lacing. Perhaps this is because I've only ever had bottled Midas Touch. The aroma is lightly spicy and even a little floral. Flavor-wise it is crisp and bright, but this is negated by the texture, which I've found clings a little too much and almost leaves my mouth feeling a little fuzzy.

At the end of the day, the idea of this beer (the recipe is partly a reverse-engineered ancient Mesopotamian recipe) is better than the beer itself, and for it's relatively high price there are equal or even better beers to be had. Still, it is worth a try. Or two. Or three.

01-09-2014 03:39:08 | More by ItalianPisces84