Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

to view more.
Ratings: 4,405 | Reviews: 1,599
Reviews by Hermanater:
4.41/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: golden hazy peach color

S: wine, grapes. I'm not a huge wine nut, but it smells like a sweet Riesling.

T: Never had a herbed beer quite like this. Tastes of white grape juice, saffron. A bit like a Riesling honestly...less sweet.

F: soft drink carbonation. Again nothing to compare it to, but I can't complain.

O: tasty first Beer that's sweet but dissent overdue it. Great Beer/wine feel.

3.82/5  rDev +2.4%

A: The beer poured clear golden yellow in color and has a thin layer of bubbles floating on the surface from a medium amount of carbonation.
S: There are distinct aromas of grapes, honey and saffron in the nose.
T: The overall taste is relatively sweet and the flavors resemble those in the smell.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and slightly syrupy, especially as it warms up.
D: The alcohol is well hidden but the beer is definitely needs to be sipped given the amount of sweetness.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smells of white grapes and malt with a small amount of saffron to follow. Tasting it the grape is the strongest with hints of honey and saffron. The malt does come through after a few sips. After a while I feel as I have been drinking white wine as well. The finish is crisp and has a aftertaste of grapes. I would buy again.

3.74/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Light golden in colour, very clear with a slight white head, has good film and lacing though.

S- quite grapey, with also some candied notes, hard to place exactly, mix of cotton candy and boozey plums, lemon candies, some clean acidity, reminds me of overly sweet fruit candies, jujubes maybe.

T- similar flavours, but more nuanced and more depth, oaky grapes and vanilla honey, lime citrus, honey and deeper floral tones, spice is upfront and blends with the honey. There really are a hundred things going on at once here, and that can be a bit overwhelming, but the underlying honey sweetness drives through a consistant feel to the finish, which is lingering with plum notes and some spice.

M- big body but the alcohol really only adds to the body as this is a really pleasant beer that blends the sweetness with some acidity, I think some of the overly sweet notes persist but overall the balance is. Pretty solid.

Very out there, seems almost a split personality in mixing a melange of strong flavoured ingredients and also creating a beer with a broad appeal. I did really enjoy the skill that went into crafting this, given that ingrediant list I doubt I could replicate something with this complexity and nuance, for that I will forgive some of the critiques and say this was a beer I was certainly glad to try.

3.73/5  rDev 0%

Wow this is something different,pours a nice hazy copper/orange color with real nice sticky head that stays for quite awhile,a pretty sweet aroma of honey with a slightly tart tinge to it.Taste is pretty sweet to begin with a litle spiciness lingers.A pretty complex beer,very well made.Dogfish Head likes to try different things and for the most part are sucessfull.

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance – The body is a thick, hazy, deep orange in color. There’s no head to speak of, which is common among this brewery’s heavy hitters.

Smell – This one had a big aroma indeed. The smell of rich, buttery, chardonnay kicks out right away followed by the honey and saffron promised on the label (I wouldn’t call it “muscat”). There’s some dark spicing in here too such as white pepper and allspice.

Taste – The honey comes out more at the taste, but the biggest flavor is the malty white wine. This is a big brew, and the sharp alcohol notes warn the drinker to keep things slow.

Mouthfeel – Fairly flat and medium-bodied. The flavors are so sharp it kicks the saliva glands into high gear.

Drinkability – Plan on drinking this just as you would a bottle of white wine and you’ll be fine. Pour it in a tulip glass, don’t let it warm, and drink it with fish or chicken or something light.

3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Startlingly brilliant amber brew with light lacing and tiny, tongue nibbling bubbles retains its cool orange haze for the duration. Head only exists on the periphery of the glass.

Smells of sweet citrus perfume and prickly ash. Cassis with a bit of ginger and allspice also enter into play making way for saffron, sour grape skin, and alcohol esters which become more predominant as the brew warms.

Alcohol is very noticeable in the taste and becomes more apparent as the temperature increases as I mentioned previously. Still, this is a surprisingly easy to drink beer. It would definitely make it on to my regular list if it weren’t so prohibitively expensive. To me, a beer of this price ought to carry a complexity to match, which is one area where this brew is lacking. Still, I do find it to have some interesting mead-like vinous and honey notes that I enjoy very much. The saffron and other spices make for a rather pleasurable drink as well.

Overall this is a very sweet little ditty but it just doesn’t make the grade when price is factored into the equation.

2.88/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a golden yellow color, fairly cloudy and opaque with a small head that doesn't last for very long. In the initial aroma, I'm picking up some strange sweet notes and tartness, maybe cherries and peaches. Weird medicinal, chalky smell clouds it up a little bit. Taste is actually a bit different than the smell would lead on, hitting first with a bit of alcohol warmth, slightly on the rubbing alcohol side. Then some spices come into the mix; saffron, allspice, and maybe even chili powder? It's certainly not "spicy", but the background notes have a strange reminiscence of chili. Slight cheesy residue kind of taste on the back of the tongue, slightly off putting. Lots of yeast and wheat throughout, mixes well with the tart sweetness. Very mild bitterness, low on the hop presence. Aftertaste also includes a touch of honey (finally I can taste it) as well as some fruity esters and a dirt-like earthiness. Medium body, lots of carbonation to back this one up.

Strange brew here, for sure. I'm not exactly sure how to put my finger on it. It wasn't awful, but I would probably never have it again. Alcohol was present, but still didn't feel quite like a 9% beer. Overall pretty average.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

bottled on 9/21/05-Bottle says "Handcrafted ancient ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron."

A: body has a rich and luxurious deep gold/amber hue. very little head even with a vigorous pour but considering this is sort of an ambiguous beer, with a lot of vinous qualities, Im not really knockin it. body just glows.

S: sweet malt, grapes, vanilla, fruit all over the place, alcohol mixed with a winy aroma, and it pains me to say a touch of cheap grain sweetness you get on a mediocre pils or something

T/M: sugar and grapes ride a mouthfeel wave thats very creamy. velvety fruit coats the mouth. clean grain and a cool quality follow. theres something about this beer that makes me feel as if Ive just been swimming in some pristine and cold stream. finish dries slightly followed by an evolution of ripe green fruits and some candy. honey is obvious, though I cant say I know what saffron tastes like so not sure if Im detecting it or not. finish even has a slight yeasty/alcohol spice to it that balances the sugar nicely. all said and done the mouthfeel finishes a tad weak.

D: this is a very delicate beer and should be enjoyed on its own or paired carefully. very pricey but an excellent treat every now and then.

all in all an awesome brew. paired with a light plate of fruit and cheeses with success.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

I had this beer for the first time years ago when the allure of drinking ancient brew let me smile smugly at my Coors-drinking friends. And when I had a bottle tonight, the recipe still has that mystique for me. Some may say it's the hype but I think it's because it truly is a different beer. For one, I can't decide if it's more like a barleywine or a mead. It pours like an elixer, but more silky, and with a deep gold color. Its taste reminds me of a mead, with a combination of fruity tones, but they are not sweet. At some points it feels like a wine, with a dry grape flavor. It's a complex beer that alters as you drink it, as the temperature changes, and as the alcohol settles in. It's a nice sipping beer, but I think it begs to be paired with something like a stinky cheese.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

DFH Mindas Touch 9% alcohol. 02/02/09A Bottle date. Brewed with barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron.
I've had before just didn't review... let see.

A- Pours a hued golden liquid with mild haze and floating sediment. Small but there head falls to a ring around glass and little froth, light lacing. Inviting.

S- Smell is quite fruity with notes of a floral nature possibly the grapes. Saffron on the nose mostly light hint of honey.

T-M- The flavor is strange with almost a sweet wild berry bite upfront followed by spicy barley backbone. Hints of alcohol are noted in the flavor just covered by the sweetness. Mouthfeel is mild to medium with a sticky presence on the tongue... tangy.

D- I couldn't drink a bunch but for a sharing occation with my brother I'd do it again. Different and unique beer worth a try now and again.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

a very interesting brew. supposed to be the oldest known recipe for an alcoholic beverage which adds to the appeal. A dark get complex brew with hints of grapes honey and other unknown spices, also very strong in alcohol but with only a mild pleasant alcoholic bite.

4.18/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Dogfish Head glass

A: Crystal clear light golden yellow with a soapy white head of about 1/2" or so. There is a brightness to the color. Lacing is good.

S: Aromas are mellow and light, with some complexities that are hard to describe. There are some malts, something like light melon, and something floral. This sounds like an odd combination but but it works well.

T&M: The flavors in the brew are familiar yet different from most brews. The baseline for the flavor is a solid pale malt, slightly sweet, but layered up from there is a very complex herbal mix. The herbs have a somewhat floral tone, creating a balance to the malt but not like hops - there is practically no bitterness. The brew sits on the tongue with a creamy smoothness that lasts all the way through the swallow. The finish is full and slightly sweet, with a linger that reminds me a little bit of mead. Smooth. Nice.

D: Smooth, mellow, and incredibly easy to drink. If this is truly based on an 'ancient' recipe, I would love to have it. Although it's a little different from the usual, I found it to be an absolutely enjoyable experience.

2.57/5  rDev -31.1%

Purchased from Three Cellars in Franklin, WI. This beer poured a clear golden color with no foam. Makes me wonder if the bottle is a bit old? Aroma is of grapes. Medium bodied, it tastes of grapes up front and malt sweetness in the finish. Seemed very one-dimensional -- I was expecting more depth of flavor.

3.94/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

I love Dogfish Head's Ancient Ales program for many reasons. But the main one is that opening up a bottle of one of these brews is a way of trying to understand the tastes of civilizations past. This beer is, as much as it is asking you to evaluate it based on your contemporary tastes, try and imagine living in a world where while you knead your bread and prevent the swirling dust from getting into your eyes and the dough in your hands. It asks us to reevaluate our position and our expectations of a "beer" and of what we can enjoy and by what criteria. This beer may fall a bit flat to ordinary standard, but it's not an ordinary beer.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

I purchased this bottle at Rich O's in Indiana. Pours from the cool looking bottle a slightly hazy bright orange color with a nice inch of tiny bubbly head. Some spotty lacing appears as well. An intersting herbal aroma featuring sweet honey, wildflowers and an underlying grapey vinous aroma reminiscent of sweet white wine. Light and aromatic with some hints of spicy yeast...I quite enjoy smelling this one.

First sip brings a light airy fruity maltiness across the palate. The vinous grape character (almost like sweet white wine) is predominent along with an overall herbal/floral flavor probably imparted by the saffron. Fairly sweet with the honey but not cloying overall with a nice yeasty twang on the way down. Quite complex, nicely layered and tasty...a very enjoyable brew and a nice change of pace.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side and this could use a little more body. However, the alcohol is well hidden and this one goes down like water. I could see myself finishing off a four pack quickly...well...probably too quickly at 9%. Another well done experimental brew from Sam & DFH. I hope they keep up the good work.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Golden honey color with a small head, which disappears quickly, leaving literally no head at all. Strange.

This is a sweet-smelling beer. No hops detectable in the nose, just malt.

The taste is very interesting. Sweet, definitely. The honey used in the making of the beer is detectable. Low carbonation. I dont know what to compare this beer to. It doesnt taste like anything else I've ever had.

The Midas Touch Golden Elixir might very well be a great crossover beer for introducing your friends to craft beers. It is smooth, very drinkable, and light. Perfect for summer or fall days.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Appears and smells like nothing special or at least nothing like its cost ;). Not much if any head, small funnel of bubbles which is pretty to watch. Considering the style of beer, what does the color really tell us unless we see some floater ;). Light amber closing in on copper.

Taste takes me away. Light start with no bite. Smooth blend of spices and flavor that continues to build until swallow. For ABV of 9, very impressed with how the alcohol is masked.

Finish is very nice. Nothing too strong. VEry enjoybale, though not a choice I would buy for large consumption.

I wasnt sure what to expect for its style, but this beer left me very impressed. While I might not by another 4-fer, I would love to find this on draft somewhere as something to start my noght off with.

2.98/5  rDev -20.1%

Not sure what to make of this beer; I don't think I've ever had one this sweet. It was a pretty orange color with a small white head and very bubbly. It had a sweet grainy odor, and a very sweet fruity taste. I thought it to be quite carbonated, and thus not very pleasing in the mouth. The sweetness makes it only average for drinkability.

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

After sipping my first Midas, I fell in love with the taste of the muscat grapes. Paired with the sweetness of the honey and the saffron, midas touches taste was balanced, crisp, and on a warm afternoon, a perfect accompaniment.

I would definitely drink more of these, though I do not think they are much of a session beer. This recipe was a hit for DFH

2.71/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

It looks like an ordinary lager, or even a pilsner--translucent throughout--a light, straw-colored ensemble with a brownish tint. A thin layer of carbonation never approaches foamy status. The dark tint provides some allure, but this is among the most common-looking DFH brews I've encountered.

I smell grapes and honey. It's like a sweet wine, slightly more grapes on the nose than honey. I wonder if it's the saffron that plays a hop-like balancing act. I can't say I detect barley with wafts, but I venture to guess that it provides the brown amid the honey yellow. Still, it smells more like a wine than a beer. I love how this brewery pushes the boundaries but, so far, I remain skeptical.

A nicely carbonated honey note followed by acidic, soury grape juice. Sweet honey certinaly pervades the palate. The white grapes juxtaposed against the honey make for an odd, uneven taste. It's like every sip tastes the same, but each part of my mouth senses something different about the beverage. I honestly can't decide if I like it. The sour presence diminishes appeal, despite the tingle of warm, carbonated honey. It's iike it's neat to see what the ancients enjoyed, but it's difficult for this one to compete with the peers of its day. I hate to be a hop monger, especially when experiencing an ancient-type herbal/spicy beer, but the white grapes need more substantive stand-up to sour. The sweetness suffices, but the saffron seems insufficient.

There's enough of a sweet honey smack to achieve a good mouthfeel. The sour is oddly more a taste on the tongue, while the sweetness is a sense on the cheeks and teeth. The carbonation seems right-on. Though "old" and "extreme" seldom go together, this recipe fits the bill. It's ancient and hopless, but one hell of an interesting concoction. Though this one is a relative disappointment by most ratings, the moutfeel, at least, is cool.

A drinkable beer has to taste better; it is, nevertheless, a beverage worth sampling.

12 oz bottle. Pours a copper orange with a fizzy white head that quickly goes to a thin collar and then disappears.

The aroma is some bready malts with a little vinous (white wine) bitterness.

The flavor is very sweet malts with honey and fruitiness (grapes) and a little spiciness. It has a dryish, lightly alcoholic (champagne-like) finish. The aftertaste is very sweet and syrupy (almost treacly as it warms). It's kind of mead-like and wine-like. It's medium bodied and slightly watery.

Overall, a bit too sweet (and expensive) for me, but very interesting considering the backstory.

3.4/5  rDev -8.8%

Very golden pale with a pleasant head it stays for a while and then after a while dissipates

White wine grapes with a honey sweetness

Sweet with a dry grape taste...honey comes in with a nice dry taste a spiciness of the saffron enter and leaves a dry tart taste

For a 9% this drinks very easy.

3.61/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Bright golden yellow with a small and quickly fading head.

S - Bright muscat grapes with a hint of honey.

T - Very sweet, with just enough acid to keep it drinkable. It is very grape juice like with just a light mead character and nothing too noticeable from the barley (or saffron).

M - A bit thin and low in carbonation, increasing the juice character.

O/D - This is an alright beer. Interesting and tasty, yes, but not very beer like, and the grapes certainly overpower the saffron, honey, barley and hops.

3.72/5  rDev -0.3%

Presentation: 750 ml clear glass champagne magnum, blurb about the beer and well packed sediment on the bottom of the bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Perpetually hazed with a cloudy sunset orange colour, lace hold well …does not stick much but stay around.

Smell: Perfume-like aroma of raw honey, grape skin and saffron. Suggestions of allspice and earthy undertones.

Taste: Smooth with a bottle conditioned or a conditioned carbonation in the secondary fermentation, Alcohol make a mark as first presence with some spicy estery components as well as a bit of solvent flavours. Big buttery flavour from an over zealous diacetyl is the layer of icing for this brew. Grape skin and a fermented honey twang in the alcohol come through. Mineral and spicy saffron flavours in the middle, vinous and lightly tart. Oddly phenolic with allspice flavours flailing around that border medicinal. The after taste has the remains of grape skin and grain. After shocks of the ester / solvent alcohol continue to warm the body.

Notes: Great to have an experimental brew here and there, bring this to a dinner party to funk things up. After a couple of bottle of this they won’t know up from down or wine from beer. Other than that it is not a beer that would be considered an everyday beer nor a beer you can drink much at all. More or less a beer to share with a meal … seems to pair well with garlic studded pork loin with brown rice (that could be cooked with saffron) and a sun-dried tomato spinach and goat cheese salad.

to view more.