Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,603 | Hads: 4,570

Wow! What a brew. This beer had a superb taste that I enjoyed to the last sip. Honey and saffron tickled my tastebuds. The purple labeled bottle with a big gold thumb print was also attractive. I whole heartedly recommend this beer to anyone who wants a distinct, flavorful beverage. It's even nine percent alcohol so it'll get you krunk!

I'm really biased here. This is one of my favorite brews of all time. I've had it maybe 20 times from various batches and vendors. Each time the beer was golden with a luscious head. The mead-like qualities from the honey are balanced by the spicy floral notes of the saffron. The muscat grapes add another dimention of sweetness. The citrus from the hops is a nice touch since muscat is generally low in acid. The muscat jus adds a beautiful fruit component of apricot and I could gush on and on. I'll quietly step back and finish my brew.

4.96/5  rDev +33.3%

Poured into my trusty pint glass. pale to copperish color. small to medium head. Taste of honey and muscat grapes. an addicting flavor over taste is amazing and mouthful is that of wine so i gave 4.75 instead of a 5. Another great beer from Dogfishhead

4.94/5  rDev +32.8%

Poured into a fluted glass.

appearance - 4/5 - Pours a golden color with a thin head. Mine has chill haze something fierce. That might be from low fridge temperatures, nut sure. I can still read through the beer. Leaves a fair amount of lacing.

smell - 5/5 - Sweet aroma of honey and grapes, almost like wine.

taste - 5/5 - More like a sparkling wine than a beer. Lots of grape flavor (reminds me of Nehi grape soda) sweetened by honey. I don't know what saffron tastes like, but there is a subtle herb-like flavor which I presume must be the saffron. I'm not picking up the slightest bit of hops, but surely there are hops in there.

mouthfeel - 5/5 - Moderate level of carbonation fortunately keeps this tasting more like alcohol than soda.

overall - 5/5 - For a sweet beer, this is far from overwhelming. I think the sweetness is at the right balance. I've tasted many other sweet beers that really put me off, but not here. This beer is chill haze away from being perfect.

4.92/5  rDev +32.3%

since it's a fruit/herb ale, i figured just slam it into a tulip instead of my actual DFH pint.

light then vigorous pour creates a nice thick head that settles not fast nor slow. no lacing, but it stays curdled up toward the lip as it dies back. within a couple of minutes, the surface appears slightly as a veneer of creaminess remains. LOOKS substantial (had one of these last year...thought i had reviewed it...i did, but not here...somewhere in one of my journals).

nose is pure, sharp muscat/muscadine (i'm from mississippi so the smell of the primitive grape is brought back from the crypt!)...just amazing smelling this. i know there's more going on, but i think the other elements are keeping the muscadine note up front and keeping it from smelling like wine. there is a mead sense coming through. magick.

yeah, this is mead ale with archaic grapes and herbs and it is just as amazing as i remember. truly a stellar brew and no wonder DFH remains one of my favorites for their innovation and courage. not too sweet (i know it will sweeten as it warms...but i think i'll finish this while it's still cool!), nice sour note, the alcohol is present but very embedded into the whole. stellar. didn't i say that already?

mouthfeel is perfect for this type of brew. not as flat as you would expect. not flat at all, actually. a thick rim of foam remains and i get more bristling carbonation that keeps this almost heavy drink from drowning itself and me. as the glass goes down, some interesting lacing develops. looks like an oracle...

very drinkable in my opinion. as a hophead. this redefines (predates?) what sweetness in an ale should be. neither thick nor thin. perfect all by itself. if you can handle the ABV, sure it's a session brew! i assume you are a gladiator or soldier or minotaur if you can down a 4-pack of these...

even for folks who like basic beers, this would be a treat and they could definitely handle a bottle or at least SPLIT one with you.

4.9/5  rDev +31.7%

My wife and I first had this brew about 2 months ago and we are hooked. As soon as you pop the top a blast of well balanced honey, saffron and a hint of vanilla hits your nose. Poured a copper hue w/ a small head that fully diminished. The good thing about this brew is what you smell is what you are going to taste. Full body, syrupy, honey sweet and full of spices that goes down warm and w/ a hint of alcohol. Careful this brew packs a punch at 9% ABV a four will start off a nice buzz. Way go to Dogfish Head for making a one of a kind of brew.

4.82/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours a hazy orange yellow color with a thin white head and good lacing. Smells of muscat grapes, saffron, white wine, malts. Godly. Tastes sweet from muscat grapes, saffron, some citrus. Hops are there but they only lighten the sweetness just a tad. Mouthfeel is exceptional and drinkability is insane. One could drink half a gallon. Not good for your liver that it tastes so awesome.

4.82/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured bottle into glass. 9% abv

Appearance- Crystal clear golden yellow. Medium head that dissipates quick. Not all that much of carbonation.

Smell- Malt with bread and fruit. Peppery spices here as well. Complex aroma.

Taste- A light biscuit malt flavor transforms almost instantly into a sweet and noticeable punch of fresh grapes. Quite sweet but not overwheming. The sweet honey flavor is on the back end and lingers which is quite nice. Thankfully this beer was not really spicey. Might have caught hints of a spice but I am too unfamiliar with saffron to make an educated say of such.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with medium carbonation. Very fitting for a sweet beer.

Overall- I was blown away by this. This is one of the most complex brews I have had. So incredibly complex. Extremely light, easy drinking, hard to imagine this is 9% abv. This beer should be in a style all to its own. Leave it to Dogfish Head to go totally out of the conventional box. This will now be among my top list of favorite beers.

4.82/5  rDev +29.6%

A - A rich golden color, with no head to speak of, but a light lace ringed my glass throughout.

S - Smell is faint, but with just a hint of the honey to come

T - Wow.

It comes on strong with sweetness that feels as though it's fast approaching cloying, but it never gets there. The grape jumps right out at you, and then immediately transitions to a taste of honey, but again, the flavor, and not the overbearing sweetness. It's hard to 'notice' the saffron, but it contributes to the warmth, and it would be most noticeable if it were missing.

As a bona-fide hophead, it first seemed to lack the bitterness I crave, but I soon found my old friend so well blended with the other notes that it was hiding in the the richness, instead of jumping out and slapping me in the face.

M - Though not seeming particularly carbonated as it laid in wait in my glass, as soon as it hit my mouth, it came alive with a crispy froth that was exciting from start to finish.

D - Deliciously easy to drink, but at its high ABV, it's TOO easy to drink, while out. On the upside, that nearly forces you to slow down and savor it.

4.82/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours a cloudy apple juice colour with no head whatsoever. The smell is a bit like beer, but mostly fruity, reminiscent of apricots. It's also distinct from the dried fruit smell of some dark beers.
The taste is very unique and distinct. It has a lot of qualities not typically found in beer, but still retains a strong beer-like presence. It's a bit sour in the way that sour apples or sour grapes are sour. Not the green apple taste of a poorly brewed beer. This actually compliments the beer quite nicely. It has a honey flavour as well and despite my usual aversion to honey, this flavour compliments the beer quite nicely. There are some hops and other spices that balance out the beer very well. I can't place what the spices are. The bottle says saffron. I'm not an herb expert, so I don't know what saffron tastes like. Maybe that's what's making this beer so awesome. The hops are light, but present enough to give the beer just the light astringency it needs. Overall, the beer is sweet and light in flavour and the alcohol character is quite discernible, which I like, but no so harsh that most beer drinkers might have a problem with it. I personally like an alcohol presence in my beer, so I welcome lots of strongly alcohol-flavoured beers. I'd consider this one to have a medium alcohol character. It's not overbearing. Basically, this beer is fucking sweet. If you have the funds and the availability, try it.

4.77/5  rDev +28.2%

appearance - Has a light copper color to it, with a nice head and some lace left on the glass.

smell - Alcohol, grapes, sugars, and dark fruits.

taste - Sugars, honey present here, with the alcohol. Has a great taste, very smooth beer, something like i have never had.

mouthfeel -Real smooth feel here.

drinkability - Nice sipper, nice beer to age, even though it is aged LOL Read up on this beer on Dogfish, interesting.

4.77/5  rDev +28.2%

My buddies and I saw Dogfish Heads Midas Touch and it looked very apealing to us. It came in a 4 pack and was high priced at $10.99 but we decided to try it anyway and it paid off. This stuff has to be the smoothest and best tasting beer ive had, stouts excluded...theyre pretty smooth. Midas Touch has a nice honey flavor which is probably why it is at 9%. I had this beer about 6 months ago and seeing it on this site again i am going to get another 4 pack tonight just because how good it is. Iv noticed that Dogfish Heads beer seem to be kind of harsh tasting and insaine but this is their best work. cheers to brewer/owner Sam Calagione

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

A deliciously different beer than i've had before. Pours with almost no head, and what little there is quickly dissipates. Color wise, i'd put it somewhere near a strong tea color. Smells more like a mead than an ale. You can really smell the honey and grapes used in the recipe, and taste them as well. Very sweet, like a Gewurztraminer or ice wine. Can't tell it's 9% abv.... Very well done. Highly recommended, but if you are not a fan of sweet, then you wouldnt like it.

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

The label tells you it includes honey, and the honey is what makes this so smooth. If it weren't for all the other ingredients that remind you you're drinking beer and NOT honey, you'd think you were guzzling from one of those plastic bears. The sweetness is kept in check by the saffron and other fun stuff included and I would drink this beer every day for a long time if I could.

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

Appearance- Pours into my dogfish head shaped pint glass a beautiful amber color; About a finger's worth of light head.
Smell- sweet smell of grapes
Taste- sweet grape taste;
Mouthfeel- Carbonation at first, smooth,
Drinkability- Great, Good beer with a different taste.

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

Midas Touch is wonderful! I love the idea that they got the recipe from King Midas' tomb, it was a great move for history and beer. The color is great, being a dark orange or red-amber color, and I just have to smile when I start pouring. I'm a sucker for sweetness, and this is sweet! The taste isn't sickeningly sweet, though, tasting a lot like spiced wine mixed with beer. Strong and thick, it makes me feel nice and warm inside!

4.74/5  rDev +27.4%

A a light golden amber color to the liquid with a creamy white, but fairly thin head that refuses to diminish. Spotty lace is left on the head.

S a good full force nose with a young fruit taste to it, such as pear and grape. A bit of a cereal smoothness and notes of honey.

T First and foremost you get hit with the honey. Good notes of sweet ripened fruits with a bit of pomegranate. There is a noticable hint of alchahol, but it is balanced out by a perfect ammount of malt.

MF the mouthfeel is what really setts this beer apart. A thick and full creamy beer, much more than the golden color would suggest. If you didn't account for the taste or smell this beer is like a creamy stout.

DA A very easy drinker, but you can't pound these babys down, but that's perfect. Who would want to waste all this taste?

Over all I think this is an under rated beer, worthy to sit in the beer halls as a good experimental beer that came off just right. With this great taste and cute story how can you go wrong?

4.74/5  rDev +27.4%

Poured into my Smuttynose Tulip Chalice

Dark golden crystal color with a quick disappearing white head

Aroma of honey and sweet grapes, like walking downwind from from a vineyard of a cool autumn afternoon.

Sweet grapes dominate the initial taste, then yielding to a more subtle bouquet of floral, melon, and honey.

Bright, clean mouthfeel

Very drinkable

4.73/5  rDev +27.2%

I just really enjoy this beer, I wasn't sure at first...but didnt have a glass with me so I had to drink it out of the bottle. When I drank the other 3 in the pack I used a pint glass, and it was SOO much better. In the glass it definately brought out the different depths. I could definately sense the "dryness", and got a touch of the saffron. I couldnt really taste any melon or papaya (that was in the description). Just a good brew!

4.72/5  rDev +26.9%

My first review...gotta say something, right? Nothing I have ever drunk[en] has done what this one has...I am in a better mood [not that I was in a bad mood beforehand...] upon drinking this brew. I must say...the ancient Egyptians were certainly onto something, indeed! I know no beer-ology terms to supplement this subjective observation but I do know that, despite the approximate $13/4-pack cost, this brew is truly exceptional..Hands down. If you like good fruit beers, then you will love this as it is arguably the best ever!

4.72/5  rDev +26.9%

This beer is amazing... Great smell, strong sweet sweet wine smell. very little head even when you pour fast. The taste is so complex... strong moscato feel to this with a brief honey aftertaste...short review for a great beer...too busy to type, must finish my beer!!

4.72/5  rDev +26.9%

Wow! This seems more like a desert beer. Very sweet. Complex and unique to say the least. I can't really even describe it. This has to be one of the best "sweet" beers I've had, if you consider it beer at all. Very pricy at about four dollars a 12oz. bottle. In my opinion it would be the perfect beer after a heavy meal to finish the night. At 9% ABV three or four and you'll finish the night right with a great desert finisher. Would go great with multiple deserts like heavy chocolate, cheese cake, etc... Only a 4 on drinkability because I think more than 3-4 would overwhelm most. In my opinion this is a classic, true, above average cutting edge brew that challenges the norms of beer making. A must try at least once.

4.7/5  rDev +26.3%

This beer pours a pale golden yellow color with a thick, fluffy, white head. The head fades slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer smells of honey. Not as strong as mead, but it definately has a very strong honey aroma. Behind that, it smells spicy with some yeasty aroma. It also smells quite sweet.

This beer tastes very honey like. It is also surprisingly sweet. It is almost too sweet, but not quite. It has a slightly spicy flavor also.

This beer goes down smooth, despite the very sweet flavor. It leaves a honey like aftertaste.

This beer would make a decent sessnion beer. The only problems are that it is so very sweet, and the alcohol content is up there.

Overall: This beer is great. I am definately going back to O'Brien's for a few more before they run out.

4.7/5  rDev +26.3%

I agree with those who say that this beer stands alone, without easy comparisons.

It's time machine back to a time before video poker, boxed wine or guys like Dick Cheney on Segways, so comparing it to big bland brother, or even all the various popular, hopped up or milky styles of craft ale springing up is a little like postulating what the world would look like if Nero had a Moog (synthesizer).

Aroma was breaded, not like Chicken fried anything, but more like that bakery on the Seal pier in San Francisco, where the sour dough is the star. Didn't really detect anything I'd call saffron, but haven't had much saffron to compare. And since it's 40 dollars per pinch, I guess I can guess why.

Tasting amounted to grapes balanced against other components, sort of like a strong, distinctive spiced sherry, sweetened back and well balanced or a sangria with citrus notes.

It's not overly spicy like the minced meat pie-fruit cake effect of Raison D'Etre, or done poorly with the ripple of another grape-beer cross over from the 70's, "Malt Duck", brought to you by National Brewing Company of Baltimore (the makers of Colt 45), and the first beverage that made me yack, and which kept me well away from hooch until my late teens.

Mouth-feel is what sets it apart from the glycerine dessert, sherry, ice wine iterations with a thicker, if course malty sensation that a stout may leave behind.

Overall, this is an extraordinary beverage, and one I'd order again. I'd like to see thicker head, and more saffron favor, but who am I, King Midas? Exactly.

4.7/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: As the name implies, this poured a golden copper color. The head was thin that took a while to thin out to a wisp that persisted but didn't leave much lacing. It's clear with obvious carbonation trails.

S: The initial aroma is a nice balance between the spicy saffron with the sweet honey. The other aromas aren't that pronounced but I think there is a hint of vanilla.

T: The taste doesn't disappoint. The one-two punch of honey saffron is right up there with a nice warming sensation as it goes down. I don't really get the grapes up front but more in the lingering taste.

M: Smooth. Even weighing in at 9% ABV you don't taste/feel it.

D: The spiciness keeps this from being too sweet. This is great as a sipping beer. It would be great as a session beer as long as it is limited. I would love to use this to introduce some of my novices to the bigger world of beer.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery