Join our email list →

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Herbed / Spiced Beer | 9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,611 | Hads: 4,613
3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass..

A. Golden straw colored, slight head on pour that quickly dissipated to a thin film. Minimal lacing

S. no discernible beer character, slight funk which I am guessing is their spices, but saffron? Not picking it up

T. Definitely taste the body of the Muscat grapes, which is a grape I have a strong attraction too.

M. Thinner than I expected for a 9 above brew. Minimal carbonation, aftertaste lingers for quite awhile. It's not an unpleasant aftertaste, just lingering..

O. An unusual beer, not quite sure how to classify. Would I drink it again, probably but wouldn't be my first choice. If your in the mood for something different, this is it!

Consumed 12-8-12

3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

A: Slightly cloudy golden in color. No real head or lacing.

S: Stong grape smells with just a whiff of the saffron used. This may be the first beer I think smells better cold, I say that because now that it's warming a bit, a very strong alcohol smell is coming out that is making it a bit hard to smell the other things in it.

T: Strong alcohol again making it hard to taste the other things. This beer seems to me mostly sweet. Nice honey flavor with a bit of grapes. I can't really taste any saffron here. Hard to get around that solvent like alcohol, though. This tastes almost like a liquor.

M: Punchy alcohol feel, I find it hard to believe this is only 9% ABV. Sweet rather than dry, medium body. Nice level of CO2, but damn is this punchy.

D&N: A nice beer to try, I don't think I'll be buying a six pack of this anytime soon.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A - Clear, light golden in color, minimal off white head, decent lacing leaves a slight layer on top.

S - Maybe some honey, bit of grape, not a lot happening here.

T - Definitely get the grapes, slight maltiness, some spice, not my favorite

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

O - Doesn't do a whole lot for me

3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

The pour had little to no head, that dissipated to a minimal layer. The smell was sweet, reminding me of honey and sugar. The first taste was a little different than what I expected, sweet with a dry aftertaste. An okay beer, enjoyable, one that was recommended that I at least try, but not one that I will run out to buy again.

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

A - The orange hue was appealing, intrigued me, invited me in.

S - Grapes and Spice, could smell it, reminded me of Allagash Musette. Almost like a once used wine barrel but more musty. The spice was evident.

T - Initially I was hit with the grape, then the spices. Then a wallop of honey. The honey sweetness was reminscent of JW Dundee's honey Brown lager, way too sweet for my taste.

M - Lightly carbonated, not overwhelming. Perhaps the best feature of this beer.

D - Although not quite my cup of tea, I could understand peoplet aht would like to sit and drink it over and over. I presonally don't like overly sweet beers, but there is a market for it.

Overall, I would recommend this to a person that likes malty, sweet beers. I was curious to try it after reading the history and lore of it, but not all beers are suited for every person. I bought it as a 4-pack and know 2 people that will appreciate it much more than I do. It won't go to waste.

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

A: 1/2 fingertip-length head is nice, I'm not a fan of floaters in my beer and I'm trying to figure out why they would be present in this beer. The beer is a bright orange/yellow.

S: Earthy, Earthy, Earthy...It smells like a chardonnay that has had some odd spices and sugars (def honey) added to it. I would swear that this was an odd type of lager before drinking. I'm not a huge fan, but for the style it's probably spot on.

T: Taste matches smell, earthy. Taste lots of spices in the beer, one of which is clearly saffron, but the others are jumbled a bit together. You can taste the honey, but any sweetness is dulled by the spices and light chardonnay flavor. The beer is kind of dull in the front, you start tasting the sweetness in the middle, and the spices really kick in as you sip it down (my favorite part of this beer).

M: Really thin for such a high ABV beer, but with the style, that makes more sense. It's over carbonated, but to each his own. I also think it's too watery.

*This may be the only fruit/spice beer that I've found bearable. I'm still not the biggest fan of this one either, but I'm starting to think I may never like this style. However, I'll rate it according to others I've had in its category. The back-end of this beer's taste is it's highlight, as you get a lot of different flavors. I just never felt like this beer knew where it was going. Also, I would drink this really cold as I enjoyed it less as it heated up (unlike usual).

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

Copped a single 12oz bottle from Oak Tree in South Plainfield... bottle logo says "Handcrafted Ancient Ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes, and saffron"... clear, lucid, apple-juice like appearance with no carbonation and minimal head... strong, sweet, cloying smell dominated by cloves, honey, and sugar... taste is slightly overbearing and a little too sweet to be truly enjoyable... grapes, florals, citrus, lemons and honey are noticeable... ultra-sweet, thick, rich taste is somewhat overbearing and dominating... watery mouthfeel and average drinkability at best due to the heavy combination of sweet flavors... not Dogfish Head's best for sure...

3.01/5  rDev -19.1%

Drank from a bottle into a chalice.

This beer is a orange with a terrible white head that is small and disappers quickly.

The one positive is nice sweet fruity malt aroma.

The taste is big let down. I has no real front end and ends almost skunky and bitter. I guess I would drink this over a bud light, but I wouldn't add this to my rotation. A very disappointment DFH.

12 oz bottle. Pours a copper orange with a fizzy white head that quickly goes to a thin collar and then disappears.

The aroma is some bready malts with a little vinous (white wine) bitterness.

The flavor is very sweet malts with honey and fruitiness (grapes) and a little spiciness. It has a dryish, lightly alcoholic (champagne-like) finish. The aftertaste is very sweet and syrupy (almost treacly as it warms). It's kind of mead-like and wine-like. It's medium bodied and slightly watery.

Overall, a bit too sweet (and expensive) for me, but very interesting considering the backstory.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Obtained a 12 oz. bottle from Market of Choice in Eugene, OR. Poured into a brandy snifter.

Thin soda-like head quickly disappears. Rosey peach color.

Rose petal, booze, biscuit, and grape aromas.

Taste: imagine a tripel mixed with box wine. Candy, apple, wine flavors, booze, and some malty flavors. Very sweet and cloying. Some honey in the finish and the saffron not apparent. Spritzey.

I wouldn't drink another because of the sweet candy flavors go unbalanced and higher alcohols are a bit harsh. I kind of expected this.

Pours a nice clean amber without any hazing or clouding and nice carbonation bubbling up to a nice film on top. Smell is grapes, honey, spices, cardamom, malt and caramel. Taste is very malty and just maybe a slight hint of cheese. Mouthfeel is almost syrupy and drinkability is ok.

The beer poured a hazy gold color with almost no head. This did not impress me at all. The aroma was horrible. It smelt cidery. The taste was also bad. It tasted syrupy. There seems to be little complexity. It boasts a 9%abv.. The mouthfeel was lacking. This is a full bodied beer. No very drinkable.

This beer kind of took me by surprise.

A: pours a clear golden amber with a quickly dispersing white head

S: wheat grapes and a tiny waff of hops

T: sweet white grapes, some dry wheat and a small amount of hopes, i dont want to say bland but lacks a defining characteristic

M: has the right amount of carbonation and small hop character that doesn't really linger.

O: not bad, the grapes are interesting for a beer though.

Pours a nice golden with minimal lasting white head. Smell is a slightly grainy honey sweet smell as it opens up a bit. Also a twinge of something else, which I think is the grapes. Kind of a slight wine like aroma to it as well, but something I can't quite pinpoint for sure, but I don't notice the saffron... A bit unusual. Wow, taste is quite sweet, but not at all what I expected... Honey is prevalent, a grain taste as well, but almost none of the 9% alcohol is there which is a huge plus. Has a bit of a white wine crossed with a sweet beer feel to it. Very unique for sure, and not as crazy and undrinkable as I feared it might be. Although it is a sipper beer, rather than a session type. It's still a bit sweet, but I kind of like it...

Appearance: Very clear, no cloudiness, very little carbonation, almost looks flat. The head came and went with a snap of my fingers.

Smell: It says it has grapes and honey but the barley and hops overpower the smell.

Taste: A few seconds of fruit, then the hops hit you and stay till you go for more.

Mouthfeel: Light, lacks body, but decent.

Overall: I would pass on this one. Go for the IPAs that Dogfish Head provides. Good try but they just didn't pull the lever on this one.

Serving type: Bottle

Wanted to try this ever since seeing it on the history channel special about brewing. Finally found it at Half Time in Poughkeepsie.

Pours a very golden color with almost no head. Very appropriate color for the name. I like that.

Smells of alcohol and honey.

Tastes are quite interesting. They seem to vary from sip to sip. Honey, grapes, alc. saffron? Definitely an interesting beer, and the concept is a good one. However- that being said this is beer made me appreciate all the progress brewers have made since the days of King Midas. Not something I'd seek out again but it's something completely different from anything else I've ever had and for that reason alone I believe it to be worth trying.

Reviewed 2/16/2007 (12oz bottle):

Pours a golden/reddish color. Average white head, fizzy. Sweet aroma of honey, flowers. Strong earthy scents, syrupy smelling, sugar and alcohol--tempting. Strong taste of honey, flowers, strong aftertaste, a little cough syrup, alcohol. Strong unique flavor. Warming up..still a strong flavor, especially the cough syrup aftertaste.

A - Pours a rich honey gold, form a white one finger head that quickly and entirely dissipates. No lacing.
S - Smell is quite misleading, smells sweet and metallic.
T - Sweet hops upfront followed by a mild warm honey with white grape at the end. Quite unique.
O - An interesting beer, couldn't drink everyday or very often for that matter, but worth a shot to see what it's like.
V - I gave the lowest rating because this stuff is over 14 dollars for a 4 pack locally.

Pours to a cloudy amber, forming a small rocky white head with decent retention and minimal lacing. Carbonation is mild, and took a hefty pour to conjur any head at all. Head quickly fizzled to a well-retaining thin layer of sticky bubbles. Aroma is interesting...foremostly mead with the stinky shoes character, a suggestion of hops, lightly yet wildly fermented grape juice, malt and a floral perfume, but not saffron. I truly wonder how many people would have saffron mentioned in their review if it wasn't printed on the label, because I'm not picking any up at all. Mouthfeel is syrupy and cloying with a dense body and a ruddy oiliness upon the back of the tongue. Taste begins phenolic, is very sweet, a hint of fusels, hefty lingering syrupy pale malts, grape booze (MadDog 20/20?), port, laquer bite in the aftertaste from the fusels. The aftertaste is sweet and alcoholic. Warming.

Not very good in my book. An interesting brew, but thank god for hops. The mouthfeel is sickening and urges me not to finish this bottle. But I must, I must, for the love of the beer gods. I would only ever drink this with another beer geek. Big does not equal better.

2.99/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a mostly clear straw color. The head is a one finger white shade. It's texture isn't particularly appealing, and the rest of the brew isn't particularly attractive, either.

S: Let's see, on the nose we have honey, grape, grains, mild diacetyl, and an herbal component. Not all of it comes together successfully - in a way, the aroma smacks of a white wine meeting a malt liquor by way of a car crash. Interesting if nothing else.

T: Sweeter than the nose indicated. An initial quality of honey and grape sweetness is the first flavor noted, slightly drying out to a grainy midtaste and finish. Saffron notes mildly augment things throughout. The whole "malt liquor-cum-white wine via car crash" descriptor I threw out before suits the flavor profile perfectly; it's a combination that sounds horrid, but the end result is only rather blah.

M: A bit heavy on the tongue, aided by its initial sweetness. It becomes very dry past the midtaste, and actually very easy to drink. Carbonation is mostly covered up by the syrupy qualities.

O: Why the disparity between the smell/taste and overall scores? This is a simple example of a brew greater than the sum of its parts. My initial opinion of the aroma and flavor profile isn't particularly positive - and yet, the whole thing kind of works after several sips. I'm not sure if it's because the dry finish gives it great drinkability for 9% or what not, but it ends up being pretty decent. I can see wine drinkers enjoying this a lot.

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Not sure what to make of this beer; I don't think I've ever had one this sweet. It was a pretty orange color with a small white head and very bubbly. It had a sweet grainy odor, and a very sweet fruity taste. I thought it to be quite carbonated, and thus not very pleasing in the mouth. The sweetness makes it only average for drinkability.

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

On tap. Pours a clear gold with a somewhat creamy white head. Sweet, slightly vinous aroma with plenty of grainy malt. Some notes of honey. Tastes kind of bleh. The same honey-like, slightly fruity character is there, and not much else. Too sweet. Light-medium body. Surprisingly characterless.

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear, bright orange body with a thin, off-white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling aroma of honey and spice. Fifteen dollar chardonnay wine and flower petals. Oh, and more honey.

Taste: Mild, sweet maltiness gets trumped by even more sugary honey sweetness. A good measure of white grape juice flavor. Pinch of spice. Finish is alcoholic and somewhat drying.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Sticky, syrupy mouthfeel.

Drinkability: The epic saga behind this beer is far, far more interesting than the beer itself.

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: A brilliant honey color with small fine elements floating around. The head was about a finger high and the foam that lingered was white and foamy.

Smell: Grapes are dominant and overall a very sweet aroma blended with spices. Honey, barley malts and saffron just like the bottle says.

Taste: Very sweet with grape and a slight alcohol warming. The honey brings out the sweets and intensifies the spices. A little over the top for me, but my taste buds started warming up to it towards the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel and very smooth.

Drinkability: I couldn't do more than one of these.

2.97/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Finger and a half white head, rapidly receding retention, possibly attributed to the high ABV. Semi-cloudy straw color. No tremendously appealing.

S- Honey, chamomile, and strong herbs. Not sure what to think of it. Herbal and some malts in the background, but very weak.

T- Sweet and herbal. Alcohol is hidden well. Bland.

M- Thick and wet.

O- Not impressed. Too bad, I had heard a lot about this beer.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery