Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,591 | Hads: 4,496
2.99/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a mostly clear straw color. The head is a one finger white shade. It's texture isn't particularly appealing, and the rest of the brew isn't particularly attractive, either.

S: Let's see, on the nose we have honey, grape, grains, mild diacetyl, and an herbal component. Not all of it comes together successfully - in a way, the aroma smacks of a white wine meeting a malt liquor by way of a car crash. Interesting if nothing else.

T: Sweeter than the nose indicated. An initial quality of honey and grape sweetness is the first flavor noted, slightly drying out to a grainy midtaste and finish. Saffron notes mildly augment things throughout. The whole "malt liquor-cum-white wine via car crash" descriptor I threw out before suits the flavor profile perfectly; it's a combination that sounds horrid, but the end result is only rather blah.

M: A bit heavy on the tongue, aided by its initial sweetness. It becomes very dry past the midtaste, and actually very easy to drink. Carbonation is mostly covered up by the syrupy qualities.

O: Why the disparity between the smell/taste and overall scores? This is a simple example of a brew greater than the sum of its parts. My initial opinion of the aroma and flavor profile isn't particularly positive - and yet, the whole thing kind of works after several sips. I'm not sure if it's because the dry finish gives it great drinkability for 9% or what not, but it ends up being pretty decent. I can see wine drinkers enjoying this a lot. (1,525 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Not sure what to make of this beer; I don't think I've ever had one this sweet. It was a pretty orange color with a small white head and very bubbly. It had a sweet grainy odor, and a very sweet fruity taste. I thought it to be quite carbonated, and thus not very pleasing in the mouth. The sweetness makes it only average for drinkability. (340 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

On tap. Pours a clear gold with a somewhat creamy white head. Sweet, slightly vinous aroma with plenty of grainy malt. Some notes of honey. Tastes kind of bleh. The same honey-like, slightly fruity character is there, and not much else. Too sweet. Light-medium body. Surprisingly characterless. (294 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear, bright orange body with a thin, off-white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling aroma of honey and spice. Fifteen dollar chardonnay wine and flower petals. Oh, and more honey.

Taste: Mild, sweet maltiness gets trumped by even more sugary honey sweetness. A good measure of white grape juice flavor. Pinch of spice. Finish is alcoholic and somewhat drying.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Sticky, syrupy mouthfeel.

Drinkability: The epic saga behind this beer is far, far more interesting than the beer itself. (546 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: A brilliant honey color with small fine elements floating around. The head was about a finger high and the foam that lingered was white and foamy.

Smell: Grapes are dominant and overall a very sweet aroma blended with spices. Honey, barley malts and saffron just like the bottle says.

Taste: Very sweet with grape and a slight alcohol warming. The honey brings out the sweets and intensifies the spices. A little over the top for me, but my taste buds started warming up to it towards the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel and very smooth.

Drinkability: I couldn't do more than one of these. (614 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Finger and a half white head, rapidly receding retention, possibly attributed to the high ABV. Semi-cloudy straw color. No tremendously appealing.

S- Honey, chamomile, and strong herbs. Not sure what to think of it. Herbal and some malts in the background, but very weak.

T- Sweet and herbal. Alcohol is hidden well. Bland.

M- Thick and wet.

O- Not impressed. Too bad, I had heard a lot about this beer. (473 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -20.4%

12oz bottle (bottled 5/2/2011) poured into a tulip. Golden color with a <1-finger white head that dissipates pretty quickly.

Immediately the aroma. That dank, metallic DFH aroma that I've picked up in 90 Minute and several other DFH beers. Thank God I don't have to drink Delaware water. Along with that is an herbal, medicinal smell. Dried flowers? Rosewater? Not sure, but this is not starting off well. Stay open, mind! Stay open! Definitely picking up some honey too. A quick check of the label confirms it. The pungent first impression of the aroma subsides a bit after a few minutes but never goes away entirely.

First, somewhat dreaded sip now: eh. Not bad actually. Dry, a little fruity, grainy. Getting the grapes for sure, some yeast. White wine. Herbs of some kind again. Something metallic. A sharp aftertaste.

Overall... how to put this. An interesting beer. Glad I tried it. Glad DFH took the time and effort to brew it, and that they keep boldly trying new things. Really. Not going to be stocking up on this one though. Most likely a one-and-done for me. Just thankful it wasn't a drainpour. (1,113 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Yellowish with a finger of fizzy head. Not much aroma to this offering. Fruit flavor up front and along with another sweet undertone that is difficult to place and slightly unpleasant. This is an interesting concept, but definitely NOT something I would repeat or recommend. (274 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -20.7%

A clear golden color with a reddish tint and very little head. Some sweet smells of grapes and spicy alcohol. The taste is a bit on the sweet side with grapes, honey, and some strange spice flavors. I'm not sure if its the style but it taste more like a wine to me than a beer and is something I don't much care for. (316 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -21%

The aroma here is mostly of somewhat tart grapes. Actually is pretty reminicent of a reisling.

Pours a dark blonde color, somewhat cloudy. Thin head.

Carbonation seems to be pretty low here. Was expecting more.

The taste is unlike anything I've had before in a beer. At first, there's some sweetness that's fleeting, probably from the honey. After that, there's a slight spiciness with a pronounced yeasty/earthy note mixed with somewhat of a white wine grape taste, which I'd say is the dominant taste of the beer. Very, very slight bitterness on the back. Some sweetness sticks around after the swallow. Alcohol is definitely noticeable on the finish and when you exhale from the very start.

It's an interesting beer. Fun to drink simply because of how different it is. But the more I drink it, the less I like it. I started to grimace. The booziness mixed with the strange earthy/yeasty/grape taste just wasn't pleasing. I'll have to pass. (949 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -21.5%

Received a 12 fl. oz. bottle of this from ipaking67 as an "extra" in a trade. Poured from the Purple labeled bottle w/ a thumb print in the middle of the Midas Touch Label into a 16oz Dewey's Pizza Pint Glass. Has BOTTLED ON 12/01/10 C on the neck of the bottle.

Aroma- Has quite a bit of spice, herb, and sweetness to it from the start. Honey? Possibly but very faint. Good malt presence and everything else falls into place.

Appearance- Pours not even a .5 finger head that dies almost immediately after leveling off. The body color is a deep golden and tough to see through. Leaves sudsy rings behind but not good lacing.

Flavor- A strong wheaty flavor starts this one out and then has a sweet, malty taste afterwards. Finishes a bit dry and not too full-flavored... Bland.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation level (Not appropriate!), and then has a unfavorable, tough type of spice characteristic that ends up on the palate.

Overall Impression- A rough brew to drink! My first from DogFish Head that I didn't enjoy to the fullest... I'm hoping the next DogFish Head brew I go for or receive as an "extra" will be more fulfilling. Don't recommend this one. Below Average and definitely not a fun one to start out the night! (1,257 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured a single bottle into a tulip glass.

A golden elixir this was. Very gold in color, head was white and on the small side of mid-sized. The appearance, by far, was the best thing this beer had going for it.

Smelled floral and sweet. No hops whatsoever. I get some grapiness, but it's more like a general plantiness. I keep getting this old bandaid smell over and over again...yuck.

I took a sip and winced. It was pretty bad. I would almost say this is a fermentation gone wrong. Sickly sweet with little bitterness. I taste assloads of honey, but it's honey gone bad. The saffron surfaces and gives floralness that is the only thing that could possibly mitigate the other flavors. A yeasty funk in there too. On the plus side, all this does a reasonable job of hiding the booze.

Too slippery in the mouth, in spite of the proper carbonation. It seems to collect a syrup on the back of my mouth.

I could never drink this again and in fact, the only things keeping me for pouring this right now are a) the fact that I'm too cheap and b) the rapidly disappearing thought that I should pound it instead. (1,119 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -22%

This is a very experimental brew. Very similar to Mead but much better. I have never been a big Mead fan. Too sweet for my tastes and so is this. Very candy like tastand very similar to a heavier dessert white wine. I could not have more than one. (247 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -22%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug. Bottled 01/06/2011 (almost a year ago).

Appearance: At first pour, there is about 90% head. After this settles, the next pour produces a beautiful, frothy two-finger head which leaves very heavy lacing as it recedes. Beer itself is a golden-tan color with moderate carbonation visible through the glass.

Smell: Grape-grass and sweet alcohol. Very wheaty with just a touch of vine fruit...seems like it might be a flavored witbier.

Taste: Lots of grape extract up front, cloying sweetness along with a mild sourness. I can taste the honey, but it seems tainted. Heavy on the ethanol. Maybe there is some beer in here, it tastes like a malt liquor, not a top-shelf micro-brew. Way too much sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Heavy on the carbonation, beer stays light on the tongue and goes down very wetly, leaving a lot of residual sweetness on the palate.

Overall: For my dollar, very overpriced. I could get Camo for 1/6 the price (not that I'd WANT to, mind you...but I could). (1,019 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -22%

A - A golden amber color. Decent amount of head and small lace retention.

S - It smells great. Grapes, grapes, and grapes. Sweet.

T - Now this is where I am disapointed. I took a sip and waited for it to go in a direction. The beer didn't go anywhere for me. It does taste like a light champagne.

M - Smooth. Light, although it has a high abv.

D - Low. This beer is not the style that I like. I had big hopes though, but it is just not for me. (449 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a golden yellow color, fairly cloudy and opaque with a small head that doesn't last for very long. In the initial aroma, I'm picking up some strange sweet notes and tartness, maybe cherries and peaches. Weird medicinal, chalky smell clouds it up a little bit. Taste is actually a bit different than the smell would lead on, hitting first with a bit of alcohol warmth, slightly on the rubbing alcohol side. Then some spices come into the mix; saffron, allspice, and maybe even chili powder? It's certainly not "spicy", but the background notes have a strange reminiscence of chili. Slight cheesy residue kind of taste on the back of the tongue, slightly off putting. Lots of yeast and wheat throughout, mixes well with the tart sweetness. Very mild bitterness, low on the hop presence. Aftertaste also includes a touch of honey (finally I can taste it) as well as some fruity esters and a dirt-like earthiness. Medium body, lots of carbonation to back this one up.

Strange brew here, for sure. I'm not exactly sure how to put my finger on it. It wasn't awful, but I would probably never have it again. Alcohol was present, but still didn't feel quite like a 9% beer. Overall pretty average. (1,196 characters)

poured 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass
A-Pale yellow color with a nice head and nice lacing
s-very sweet smell, not what I an used to for a beer
T-the first sip the spice from the saffron hits you in the face, and is overpowering. The honey mellows the after taste, but leaves a sweet taste.
M&d-fair mouth feel but is not very easy to drink because of the overpowering saffron.
Overall-I would not buy this beer again. It was interesting to try because of the recipe, but definitely not worth 10 bucks a 4 pack. (514 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a tulip from bottle. 2 finger bone white head, dissipated fairly quickly with a little bit of lacing. The beer itself is a light burnt orange and I can see right through.

Toasty malts and some odd fruity characteristics, like grape. A slight astringency from the booze, but overall not a very aromatic beer.

Interesting, The first thing I noticed was how thick and full this beer really is, which I wasn't expecting. It's very, very sweet and very boozy. Some of the complexities from the malt bill are nice, but overpowered by the booze. There are some hints of spice and fruit, but not much.

It's good. It's different, but good. It's not my type of beer though, and it was a lot sweeter than I thought it was going to be. I was happy to try it, but I don't think I'll buy it again. (798 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance: Pours out a pale gold color with good clarity. About 1/2" of white head forms that has okay retention. Just a ring of head sticks around long term.

Smell: Smells sweet. Some pale malt, fruitiness and indistinguishable spice comes through as well, but overall just a lot of sweetness.

Taste: Big honey sweetness, malts, spices, and some fruitiness. Not terrible but again, very sweet.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Overall, an interesting beer. Not something I enjoyed that much though. (525 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -22.8%

Meh. I was looking forward to this one but it was kind of a let down...

Looks golden with a white head.

Smells really interesting, like grapes(!) and beer.

This is where I got kinda upset: it tastes like blue point blueberry ale, except instead of blueberries, there's an awkward unpleasant spiciness with some mixed in grape flavor. After the first few sips I could get some residual honey flavor on my tongue, but as the beer warmed I stopped tasting it. Then it started tasting like alcohol and nasty bitterness.

Feels like beer in my mouth, fine bubbles maybe?

Nothing about this beer makes it particularly pleasant to drink.

Overall, I like the flavor of Steel Reserve Malt Liquor more than this (and in all honesty, as a craft brew drinker, steel reserve is NOT BAD AT ALL! try it some time). (804 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I saw this at my local store and thought it looked good. The description made it sound like the nectar of the gods but it was a hige let down. It looked decent when poured and smelled ok. Lots of grapes and sweetness. But the taste is what killed it. It tasted like grape flavored bud light. The mouthfeel was almost like water. I was severely disappointed. (357 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -23.1%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date reading 04/23/2012, so this beer is approaching it's first birthday. If this beer proves unfruitful, I might have to pick up a fresher bottle and see what the difference is. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Fairly aggressive pour yields about a quarter inch of rapidly dissolving white fizzy head. Body color is light gold, almost a pilsner color with a good amount of sediment floating around. Looks pretty nice, indeed.

S - Smell is of barley, yeast, honey, and some must. Almost a faint brettanomyces smell coming out of this one, also. Not a very powerful smelling beer.

T - Bleh. Sweet, smooth honey-like taste gives way to the malted barley. Definitely has something of a pilsner like taste to it. Aftertaste is comprised of corn & grain, with a bit of alcohol heat and a hint of champagne-like sweetness from the white muscat grapes. In a way, it tastes like a thick heavy malt liquor.

M - Feel is clean, a bit sticky, some alcohol warmth hanging out. A dry, wine-like finish.

Overall, one of the worst beers I have had from Dogfish Head, if not the worst. There are some nice, subtle wine-like characteristics to this beer, but it falls flat in it's attempt. Too much malted barley taste, for my liking, and not enough honey and grapes. Pleasant warming 9.00% abv isn't enough to save this attempt. I appreciate what they're trying to do with their ancient ales, but this is not one I will be trying again any time soon.

Dogfish Head Midas Touch ---3/5. (1,518 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -23.1%

A - Poured 12 oz bottle into oversized wine glass. 1 finger of head that quickly diminishes, with a mute pink-orange color.

S - Smells of grapes and fruit. Does not smell like a beer, very wine-y.

T - Instantly can taste the Muscat Grapes. Very weird for a beer, slight sweet taste of honey. Very sweet, something that I'd drink as a dessert beer on a special occassion. Taste of grape throughout the whole palate. I don't pick up any Saffron whatsoever. Drank this one pretty quickly, and the 9% ABV sure does kick in, amidst being very hidden throughout the taste.

M - Very low carbonation, syrupy, laces to the glass.

O - This is a weird beer. Period. I don't even know what to classify it as. Overall the taste is too sweet for my liking and this is something I'd only have once or twice a year, if that. Regardless, you must try this beer to know what it tastes like. I think more carbonation would make this beer better, but other than that it's a beer of its own. (974 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bright golden orange and fairly hazy.

Smells are surprisingly sweet. Honey and mixed fruits, with hints of breads and blended spices.

The flavors start off very sweet. Malts and honey blended with red and green grapes. Almost has a wine like flavor at times. The spices and light biscuit flavors add a well rounded character. However, the beer is ultimately ruined by a thick, artificial sweetener flavor. The aftertaste lingers well after the sip.

The feel is fine, though not refreshing enough to wash away the unpleasant aftertaste.

I enjoy trying experimental beers, and kudos for going outside the box. I just don't feel it's working this time. (653 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours golden with a smallish head. Definately some sediment swimming around in this one. Expected it to be darker for some reason.

S-Sweet and fruity. Grapes are quite evident which makes me think of wine. Its spicy smelling and there's honey in there too. Booze isn't too evident.

T-Grapes, honey, spices like the nose. Booze is much more powerful here. Pretty strong taste. Richly sweet. Almost sticky.

M-Medium bodied. Sticky yet light as well. Odd.

D-Not very drinkable in my opinion. A bit too boozey combined with the fact that I simply am not in love with the taste.

Well worth a try, and the beer itself is a very interesting idea. It just doesn't hit me right. (677 characters)

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery