2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

good

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,642 | Reviews: 1,526 | Show All Ratings:
davednyc

2.58/5  rDev -30.6%

I am not sure what I may have been expecting, but this wasn't it. The 'Golden' in the Golden Elixer expressed on the label is certainly correct...

Perhaps it was the particlar bottle (and considering that it's DFH, I'm certainly willing to take a second chance)... but this brew was much more sour than spicy.

03-25-2011 22:35:58 | More by davednyc
Minkybut

2.55/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into tumbler at 45 dgrees. Noticed right away there was absolutly no head. Straw colored brew smelled like beer I use to make with Mr. Beer kit. Tasted like it also. Very flat tasting. Still it was interesting to try a beer that was made so long ago. I think you should try it and see what you think. Personally I'm glad we have better beer today. Not buy again.

02-16-2007 20:35:23 | More by Minkybut
blackearth

2.55/5  rDev -31.5%

Purchased from Three Cellars in Franklin, WI. This beer poured a clear golden color with no foam. Makes me wonder if the bottle is a bit old? Aroma is of grapes. Medium bodied, it tastes of grapes up front and malt sweetness in the finish. Seemed very one-dimensional -- I was expecting more depth of flavor.

07-08-2009 02:31:19 | More by blackearth
cokes

Wisconsin

2.53/5  rDev -32%

I hate to give this brew such low marks, because I can appreciate the tradition and archeology that is behind this brew. Nonetheless, I must call 'em as I see 'em.
This "beer" (which is more a mead than anything) has a cloying sweetness which I just could not adjust to. Lots of honey and wine flavors to contend with. Much too sweet for my taste. I actually had to struggle to finish it. My bottle was capped rather then corked (I think I got the last bottle in the Madison area...for that I feel relatively fortunate); I would have prefered a corked bottle, but I don't think it would have made any difference. It is not something I would purchase again. I am, however, glad I tried it.
If you can get ahold of some, give it a shot for history's sake.
I would love to give King Midas some Immort Ale. just to let him witness how far beer has progressed the in past few millennia.

02-21-2002 01:25:20 | More by cokes
bubrewer

2.53/5  rDev -32%

Pours brilliantly clear, copper colored, and with a white head that does not last long and leaves no lace.

Aroma strikes me as almost all honey, lots of alcohol, and a little spice hiding in there somewhere, but it's hard to discern what spices. Although they list saffron on the label, I have no idea what flavor saffron is supposed to impart since I have only ever used it sparingly for color. Perhaps that's where the copper color comes from, because based on the flavor and aroma, malt is not contributing much.

The flavor, mouthfeel, and aroma all scream "too young mead" to me. It's hot, harsh, and not something I care to drink again. Perhaps cellared for a year or two it would be wonderful. If I ever buy another bottle, it will be with that in mind.

10-24-2005 00:24:56 | More by bubrewer
nouseforotacon

Connecticut

2.53/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I drank this brew chilled, poured out in a Leffe goblet that I received in a gift set.

Color was a light to medium amber hue, with a very thin and faint head that rapidly dissipated. Carbonation also appeared light.

The smell was very sweet, reminiscent of a very fruity, low quality wine. White grape dominates and is overpowering, followed by a faint trace of honey.

The mouthfeel was slightly slick, leaving my mouth wet, but with a bitter aftertaste and a sticky feel on the back of the throat. ABV is well-hidden behind a very sweet taste of grapes. The addition of honey is particularly strong once the beer is swallowed, leaving a disgustingly bitter aftertaste that reminds me of the feeling of ingesting cough syrup.

Unfortunately, I felt Midas Touch a bit hard to finish on two seperate occassions. The sweet taste is initially pleasant, very drinkable considering the ABV, but unfortunately the aftertaste is a bit too much for me to continue swallowing.

I love Dogfish Head's brews, but I'm going to have to pass on this one the next time I'm at my local store.

12-29-2005 03:53:33 | More by nouseforotacon
knight84

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I read somewhere that DFH serves this in a snifter so that's what I used. Poured a clear golden old straw color with a finger thick egg shell white head that dissipated quickly to leave a thin medallion of head floating on the surface with a small ring around the edge of the glass. It smelled really sweet, strong barley, a bit of yeast, herbal hops, and honey. Alcohol scent comes in the back of the nose as the beer warms a little.

The taste is barley malts, honey, dark fruits which is probably the grapes but not really clear to me. Alcohol is thinly disguised by the sweetness and herbal hoppyness but definitely still present in the flavor. Leaves a very buttery sweet and syrupy finish. The mouthfeel is watery and fairly light due to the light carbonation but it leaves a sticky watered down honey feeling in the mouth once swallowed.

Overall I wasn't really a fan of this beer. By the end of the glass I was wishing that I had split the bottle with someone as I had gotten sick of the over-the-top sweetness about half of the way through.

03-28-2008 13:47:21 | More by knight84
1sophrosyne1

2.51/5  rDev -32.5%

Consumed at the Tap House over 20 minutes.
Golden appearance, obviously--nothing special. Decent clarity. Thin head falls fast, leaving little lacing.
Buttery sweet scents with mild herbal notes.
Tastes like a honeyed version of the nose with a winey edge. Fairly bland and short.
The mouth is soft and uneventful, contributing to the lack of length in the taste experience. But it's smooth enough to be drinkable with a high alcohol content that's not very noticeable.
Overall, this brew is not much of a beer, and not adoptive of the best qualities of mead, either. A fusion of styles that fizzled.

07-24-2013 22:23:20 | More by 1sophrosyne1
haddon

Kentucky

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

pours a golden color with a decent off white head that doesn't hang.

wow, very sweet on the nose. white grape & cider that has a hint of soap. a very pungent smell that reminds me of the yeast cake at the bottom of a fermenting bucket. odd notes that smell nothing like a beer.

tastes very sweet. white grape juice & spice. can detect the honey and herbs as well. guess the saffron is that strong flavor but really not familiar with that spice. as the beer warms, the grape and alcohol becomes more evident

medium body with lots of carbonation. not a good feel on the mouth

this beer is too sweet to be considered drinkable. I will give DFH credit, they certainly created an "off-centered beer" but this off-centered fella didn't get it.

01-23-2011 03:25:19 | More by haddon
Photo of

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured from a bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Golden, light, fairly transparent. The head is minimal. The carbonation gives an appearance of champagne with the color of apple juice.

S: Sweet grape smell.

T: Very strong muscat flavor. The saffron is lost in the beer. The honey flavor comes through in the end. It reminds me a dry wine.

M: Very carbonated. Larger bubbles, it is not a smooth beer. Normally, this would disagree with me but it works well with the other senses.

O: 3/5, although I do lean toward Tripels and IPAs. It was worth trying but not one of Dogfish Head's better beers. There is too much grape, giving a wine taste without a sweet finish. The carbonation was the most pleasant part of the glass.

02-28-2012 00:50:47 | More by
SaCkErZ9

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with Prince Purple colored label containing a fingerprint and no freshness date. Thin, wispy, head that dissolves immediately. Lots of bubbles are active under the surface. Clear, pale gold in color.

Not a whole lot in the smell. Mostly sweetness, I guess due to the honey, but it doesnt smell like honey. Caramel malts and toasty bread.

Not really much in the taste either. I was a little dissappointed. Very sweet. Caramel malts. Slight alcohol tinge. I served cold but I would assume the alcohol would come out more if warm. Kind of cheap lager tasting really. Tastes a lot like a malt liquor or a strong Bud or Coors novelty type beer. Way too sweet and cloying.

Slick feel on the teeth. Fairly full bodied. Average drinkability for a less than average beer. I was very dissappointed in this beer. At almost $12 for a four pack, I feel I was ripped off.

03-23-2006 19:44:30 | More by SaCkErZ9
JLeege

look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- clear gold in color, quickly disipating bubbly white head. no lacing.

Smell- grapes and honey are the only aromas I am picking up

Taste- tastes almost like a grape soda or juice, subtle notes of the honey. medicinal as well. at 9% you pick up no alcohol at all! the more I sip, trying to put my finger on the flavor, it tastes like grape big league chew.

Mouthfeel- fairly slick, not alot of carbonation

Overall- this might be the most unique beer I have ever tried. it is based on an ancient receipe and really had no idea what to expect. I am finding it very difficult to describe this, maybe a mead but without the sweetness?

I respect this for what it is. DFH, all around, for what they do, is my favorite brewery, but I just did not like this offering at all.

09-21-2010 05:01:05 | More by JLeege
kellyst

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear dark yellow, almost gold. Very little head and lacing. Aroma is of grapes, herbs, and hone. Flavor follows suit with the aroma. Flavor is dominated by grape sweetness and floral honey. Big flavor impact from whatever herbs are used. No forthright grain or hop flavor and aroma. I enjoyed this beer the first third of the glass, but things turned south quickly and it ended up being a drainpour. The bitter herb flavor became too dominant as the beer warmed, and the grape flavors were also unpleasant and warmer temperatures.

01-17-2011 16:08:18 | More by kellyst
Brencr

Maryland

2.45/5  rDev -34.1%

I've been waiting to try this for a long time. It has the color and aroma of a standard American Lager. That supprised me a bit. It poured clear with a small head and medium carbonation. I don't quite know how to explain the taste. It seems bitter at first but then changes to a heavy almost stale flavor. I had two and the second one was more palitable than the first. Maybe it is the high alcohol content that gives it the most overpowering flavor. Sort of like an Imperial Stout in that manor.

02-24-2010 22:59:29 | More by Brencr
BierManVA

2.42/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours very golden in color but with no head. Near flat as far as carbonation is concerned.

Smells quite strange, like stale urine or a cheap macro malt liquor that has sat out all night.

Flavor is overly sweet with nasty dry finish. Nearly unpalatable IMO. I could proabably whip up sugar water that tasted better than this.

DFH certainly experiments a lot and I have read some great reviews of this bier. But as far as my taste buds are concerned, this bier is waaay off the mark.

"Stick to IPA's and Stouts Sam"

John

10-06-2005 23:25:46 | More by BierManVA
Vendetta

Original Rating Date:
September 20, 2008

Super interesting concept from DFH. Aroma smells dry, almost vinous. Taste is super, super dry, also vinous, lots of honey in there also. Overall it's not my style at all and I didn't enjoy it very much, but I can respect it for what it is.

12-14-2008 18:28:32 | More by Vendetta
IMincedTheKing

2.42/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a deep, clear orange with a thin head. The head recedes quickly and it leaves some spotty lacing.

It smells kind of awful, like cheap beer and grapes--I'm getting nothing pleasant here.

The flavor is overpowered with grapes, spice, and sweetness. There's also a mild taste of floral honey in there somewhere. It feels a little thick and a little cloying. The grape skin aftertaste lingers on the tongue and can't be washed away with water or cigarettes.

With too much grape and the high ABV, it's not very drinkable. Interesting, yes, but very hard to drink.

03-22-2009 11:56:06 | More by IMincedTheKing
laituegonflable

Australia

2.4/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a nice glowing orange colour (glowing in terms of light refraction). Head was alright, off-white but now gone, leaving a mild cloud on the top and a ring of creamy lace. Slight haze in the body, makes for a pretty good-looking beer, lacking in places.

Nose is incredibly sweet and phenolic. Big whiff of orange marmalade with a hint of bubblegum, some vanilla, crème Anglaise but also a hint of fusel alcohol, which ties the whole thing up in a slightly messy pungency, sweet and strong.

Taste is quite spicy, very sweet. Lots of fruit - rotting fruit even - with orange, banana and pawpaw vying for supremacy. Gets spicy and phenolic midway with muchos black pepper character, a hint of clove, coriander and some mild ethyl alcohol that comes through late giving a noticeable liqueury strength and sweetness on the back. Feels very heavy on the back palate with the sweetness giving way unkindly to the distinct alcohol, tipping the balance and pointing out that there are a lot of flavour shortcomings here. Needs more on the front and less on the back.

Has a stickiness in the mouth reminiscent of a good late harvest botrytis but a lot thinner, and the viscosity adds a lot to the heaviness experienced on the late palate.

Not outright offensive but smacks of unbalance, and overexuberance matched by lack of finesse.

Drinking this beer makes me finally understand why Dogfish Head so frequently polarises people. I appreciate their passion and their esoteric love of all the wonders of beer, but uniqueness doesn't make this a great beer, or even a good beer. God bless them, but frankly if I were given the choice between this and a Corona... well, hmmm... It might make me think about the choice, let's just say that.

05-13-2010 05:41:23 | More by laituegonflable
9InchNails

2.35/5  rDev -36.8%

Clear golden color. Looks very carbonated. White head. It looks average.

I get a medicinal grape smell and some floral. Smells really sweet and weird.

What a weird taste! Medicinal grape and alcohol. Some floral and citrus. It tastes like when you were a child and got that liquid grape cough medicine. This is way too sweet and it's just not good.

A carbonation bite, approaching medium body. Not a big fan of the feel and makes my lips sticky.

I don't like the taste, the feel and it made my stomach feel ill. Don't like it and will never search for it again.

I'm quite disappointed with this brew from Dogfish Head since I like just about all of their beers. What a letdown.

02-26-2011 08:43:29 | More by 9InchNails
bakeller

2.33/5  rDev -37.4%

Poured into a Stella chalice

A: Pours golden amber with a 1 finger white head that fades quickly. Steady steams of bubbles originate from the bottom.

N: Honey and grapes dominate the nose. Has a spicy character as well.

T: The grapes are overpowering. Has a spicy character I cannot quite put my finger on. Also get a slight floral taste similar to lilac. Alcohol bite is there from beginning to end. It warms as it goes down.

M: Crisp and clean. Goes down a little rough secondary to the heavy alcohol note.

D: Did not care much for this one. The beverage seems confused as to whether it is a beer or a wine. While I like experimental beers, this one just does not do it for me. I find this very similar in aroma and taste to DFH 2008 release of theobroma.

03-07-2009 02:19:01 | More by bakeller
Trueant1

2.33/5  rDev -37.4%

Pours a thin white head. Color in glass is straw yellow. Nice overall robust spicy smell.
Tastes of bitter hops up front, not so much in a good way. Honey comes through. Alcoholic bite alongside the hop bite.
Seems too sweet. Fine carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel. For some reason, I am not impressed with this offering.
Not my favorite.

12-16-2010 04:25:18 | More by Trueant1
jds1469

Indiana

2.3/5  rDev -38.2%

Just bad...

The head was just as thick as the beer. The color was just your common red ale color.

The smell was sour, bitter and dry. Never got the smell of honey, grapes or saffron.

Taste was no better. DFH needs to stop trying these funky beers, they just don't seem to be working anymore.

Mouthfeel was thin and "budweiserish"

Drinkability was an EPIC FAILURE (Cue Attack of the Show).

After several bad beers, I have lost almost all hope in DFH for anything besides IIPAs

01-07-2011 02:15:56 | More by jds1469
AndoBrew

Georgia

2.28/5  rDev -38.7%

*hated it would not buy*

app: looks peachy. nice, no head.

smell: yuck, smells like a rotten pile of fall leaves and burning hair chemicals.

taste: yuck, lots of heffe flavors up front then tastes like a thick macro brew, very unblended, its all over the place no unity of flavors no direction. the after flavor is painful.

mf: fine for such a strange brew.

drinkable?: HA. not in the least, hold your nose and chug this is a mess.

side not for all DFH beers. keep trying, keep going for the weird wild brews, you get em right some times. and at least you are not a follower! CHEERS!

09-08-2007 02:52:26 | More by AndoBrew
wcintula

2.28/5  rDev -38.7%

This beer might just be a little too off the wall for me.

Pours an orangey color with a bit of cloudy head, the beer is a little hazy. The smell is strong of grape and honey, like juice. The taste is like a very spiked grape juice a bit of a shock to my senses. There is a sense of spice and there is a very warming estery feel from the alcohol. The body has a bit of carbonation to it and is somewhat velvety.

I left the unfinished bottle by bedside in a 60 degree room over night and picked it up again in the morning to find that the grape did mellow out and after a bit of oxidation it was a bit more enjoyable, and drinkable. I don't think I'll go after this again too soon.

09-09-2010 18:53:11 | More by wcintula
ikats

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

This "handcrafted ancient ale" (nice ring to it) came out of a 12 oz. bottle. It's hazy amber in color. Head? What head? After about a minute there is barely a tiny bubble in the glass. Nice initial sweet aroma, but with more investigation it readily shifts into weird funky notes. Lots of honey in the taste. Sweetness on your lips, strength in your throat. Practically no carbonation. The taste is all wrong for me. Gold it ain't! This is the second time I am touched by Midas, and I feel just as abused as I did the first time.

One important note: Even though I find this brew undrinkable, I do appreciate DFH's experimentation. And imagining beer-loving Indiana Jones in search of King Midas' tomb to discover the secret of the "ancient ale" is just plain cool! I'll add some extra points to mouthfeel as my way of encouraging DFH's contant search for new and cool ideas in brewing.

01-20-2006 04:41:37 | More by ikats