Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
incubuscience

01-14-2014 04:37:32 | More by incubuscience
120minuteman

07-03-2012 13:56:54 | More by 120minuteman
mike77

11-25-2012 19:05:54 | More by mike77
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

03-08-2012 19:30:07 | More by

KimenTshom

01-01-2012 00:21:15 | More by KimenTshom
Kwak

1.1/5  rDev -70.5%

This one poured hazy into the glass with almost no head bad almost sickening aroma. An almost grotesque taste was accompanied by an even worse aftertaste. I had this one at a tasting with my friends I wasn't the only Unhappy customer It almost killed the whole night!

09-18-2003 05:48:39 | More by Kwak
Kaveman

1.25/5  rDev -66.5%

08-25-2013 21:28:32 | More by Kaveman
jeffthecheff

Connecticut

1.43/5  rDev -61.7%

Appearance was impressive. Golden color, with a nice white foam head. Looks good enough...

But then you smell it. Oh man, this gave off an awful nose. It had some grape aroma, and some spices. I know this might not sound bad, but I really cringed as I smelt this.

And the same goes for the taste. It has the grapes and the spices in it, with some sour notes to it. It was interesting, and so different from anything I've had, but it was not good.

Besides the taste and the aroma, this beer wasn't awful. Mouthfeel was okay excluding those factors. However...this had very low drinkability. The awful taste took its toll on drinkability. I split this 12 oz bottle with a friend, but the 6 oz's I had were unbearable. I had to pour the end of it because of how bad it was.

Overall, this is an awful beer. I bought one bottle because I saw a segment about it on the History Chanel and was interested. Yes it was interesting because of the story behind it and the fact that it was different, but as a beer this was awful. I'm so sure of how bad this beer is that I won't even re-visit it again. Too many good beers out there.

11-21-2008 05:34:38 | More by jeffthecheff

South Carolina

12-10-2013 13:25:38 | More by Alex5
vidisad

1.53/5  rDev -59%

Not my kind of beer. It's not drinkable beer. I have hard time to finish the bottle. there is something that holds me back. i don't know even what is that. simply it's not smooth. I had enough of this beer. i don't think I'll order it again. good job Nina!!!!

10-31-2009 05:43:53 | More by vidisad
Ahhdball

1.55/5  rDev -58.4%

No head on the pour. The color is a amber with red highlights. No gold....where's Midas?
Heavy alcohol, extreme spice, honey, grapes and pepper. Raunchy, but I'll try it anyway.
Oof - this is where my "inexperiance" as an advocate comes in. I have a feeling I know what I'm tasting but I can't begin to describe the pain my taste buds are in. An immediate peppery sting inflames the mouth and the grapes, saffron and alcohol kill them off. WTF is Saffron? lol
I dumped this sucker. Sorry DFH.

Oh yeah, and I paid $18 for four of these?! Kill me.

11-09-2005 00:58:11 | More by Ahhdball
AllFineThings

Indiana

1.58/5  rDev -57.6%

Pours a golden hue, and the head dissipates quickly.

I am an Anthropological student and this was sold to dogfish by an archaeologist so that is
cool--props for that!

Smells like honey and alcohol.

The Egyptians can keep it-Sorry, but I don't see what all the hoopla is about--Tastes like High Gravity malt liquor- not worth the money at all..

Nuff said!

04-12-2010 19:36:09 | More by AllFineThings
haazer

1.6/5  rDev -57.1%

Poured into pint glass

A- Appropriate gold appearance, however more of an amber color. Loads of carbonation. Not much head at all really, dissapates quickly as well.

S- Hint of white grapes and apple. Very weak smelling beer however. Alcohol is hidden.

T- Kind of tastes like a cheap beer IMO. The scents mentioned above come through even weaker in the taste then the aroma had.

M- Slightly crisp, a little tickling on the tongue. A bit refreshing, but the taste is a major let down to keep drinking.

D- Hard to finish for me. Dont know if I got a bad bottle, just didnt enjoy it.

Notes: I was very dissapointed in this beer. I wanted to try it and was VERY intrigued by it when I first read about it as I'm somewhat of a history nerd. I was expecting a crazy array of flavors but find it difficult to believe all the work that went into this.

09-29-2010 02:43:47 | More by haazer
OysterMonkey

1.6/5  rDev -57.1%

A- Nothing special on the pour. Decent golden color, some foam, not much retention.

S- Spicy, but not in a good way. More like pungent. Grape smell dominates. I don't think this beer is for me.

T- Putrid. Really very bad. The grape flavor dominates, and to me it tastes more like fake grape flavoring.

M- OK mouthfeel, fairly smooth, but nothing special.

This beer probably seemed like a good idea, but I thought it was really awful. I couldn't even finish it.

07-10-2011 03:38:31 | More by OysterMonkey
DavidJFaber

Washington

1.63/5  rDev -56.3%

Maybe my bottle of Midas' Touch was off but my experience was different from those reported by other BeerAdvocate.com users.

When I popped the cap it immediately started foaming. It had been at rest for some time so it was not shaken-up. Perhaps it was because the bottle had been at room temperature. I left it at room temperature for a reason, however. Because Midas' Touch is based upon a multi-millenia old recipe and because the refrigeration technology of the time was not what it is now I wanted to try the beer the way it was drank originally. Anyway, I digress. After the head died down a bit I sniffed the beer; it reminded me of a 40oz. of Steel Reserve 211. The flavor was not terribly dissimilar to other malt-liquors sold in convenience stores the country over. I actually gagged at the ridiculously sweet character of the beer. In the end I only sipped it twice before turning it over to my friend who is known for enjoying beers with a considerably higher malt content. He too was turned off but decided to gulp through it none-the-less.

All-in-all I wouldn't ever bother with Midas' Touch again.

11-09-2006 08:20:30 | More by DavidJFaber
Chico1985

1.65/5  rDev -55.8%

Bottle date is 6-30-10. Pours perfectly see through amber orange, small white head turns to ring and cap. Plenty of slow rising carbonation bubbles.

First thing that comes to mind upon smelling is a bready macro scent. Once it warms it's followed by huge floral notes and sickeningly sweet fruit.

A completely messy, awful mix of flowers, perfume, bread and honey, white wine, finishing with a lingering taste of cheap vodka. Heat burns in my chest like I just had a shitty mixed drink. IT BURNS!!!

I had high hopes for this for some reason. I got about 6oz in before a drainpour which I rarely do. I can't understand how anyone could enjoy this.

09-09-2010 06:39:36 | More by Chico1985
bobhits

Kentucky

1.7/5  rDev -54.4%

Honey, apples juice, a few bubbles, and virtually no head what so ever. Not much to look at.

Grapes, honey, and alcohol. I don't recall honey being in the mix here, but I'm certainly getting a sweet note similar to it. Reminds me of a fruity white wine. Interesting...but not sure what to think of it.

A huge alcohol kick, then white wine and a sweet flavor I cannot place. I have no idea what saffron is so I'll go with that? Wow this is only 9%? I would have guessed 12-13% at least, maybe even 15%. An awful job hiding the alcohol.

This beer has just a touch of carbonation, burns, and is pretty darn thick. Not really creamy.

I had this a few years ago when it first came out, wasn't a fan then but it's been years so I figured I should try again. Well...umm seems first responses don't always change.

A huge applause for the work that dogfish put into this. You can tell from the start they really worked hard to make this stuff. Sadly it's just not for me.

09-27-2010 08:42:45 | More by bobhits