Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

1.1/5  rDev -70.5%

This one poured hazy into the glass with almost no head bad almost sickening aroma. An almost grotesque taste was accompanied by an even worse aftertaste. I had this one at a tasting with my friends I wasn't the only Unhappy customer It almost killed the whole night!

1.25/5  rDev -66.5%

1.43/5  rDev -61.7%

Appearance was impressive. Golden color, with a nice white foam head. Looks good enough...

But then you smell it. Oh man, this gave off an awful nose. It had some grape aroma, and some spices. I know this might not sound bad, but I really cringed as I smelt this.

And the same goes for the taste. It has the grapes and the spices in it, with some sour notes to it. It was interesting, and so different from anything I've had, but it was not good.

Besides the taste and the aroma, this beer wasn't awful. Mouthfeel was okay excluding those factors. However...this had very low drinkability. The awful taste took its toll on drinkability. I split this 12 oz bottle with a friend, but the 6 oz's I had were unbearable. I had to pour the end of it because of how bad it was.

Overall, this is an awful beer. I bought one bottle because I saw a segment about it on the History Chanel and was interested. Yes it was interesting because of the story behind it and the fact that it was different, but as a beer this was awful. I'm so sure of how bad this beer is that I won't even re-visit it again. Too many good beers out there.

1.53/5  rDev -59%

Not my kind of beer. It's not drinkable beer. I have hard time to finish the bottle. there is something that holds me back. i don't know even what is that. simply it's not smooth. I had enough of this beer. i don't think I'll order it again. good job Nina!!!!

1.55/5  rDev -58.4%

No head on the pour. The color is a amber with red highlights. No gold....where's Midas?
Heavy alcohol, extreme spice, honey, grapes and pepper. Raunchy, but I'll try it anyway.
Oof - this is where my "inexperiance" as an advocate comes in. I have a feeling I know what I'm tasting but I can't begin to describe the pain my taste buds are in. An immediate peppery sting inflames the mouth and the grapes, saffron and alcohol kill them off. WTF is Saffron? lol
I dumped this sucker. Sorry DFH.

Oh yeah, and I paid $18 for four of these?! Kill me.

1.58/5  rDev -57.6%

Pours a golden hue, and the head dissipates quickly.

I am an Anthropological student and this was sold to dogfish by an archaeologist so that is
cool--props for that!

Smells like honey and alcohol.

The Egyptians can keep it-Sorry, but I don't see what all the hoopla is about--Tastes like High Gravity malt liquor- not worth the money at all..

Nuff said!

1.6/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured into pint glass

A- Appropriate gold appearance, however more of an amber color. Loads of carbonation. Not much head at all really, dissapates quickly as well.

S- Hint of white grapes and apple. Very weak smelling beer however. Alcohol is hidden.

T- Kind of tastes like a cheap beer IMO. The scents mentioned above come through even weaker in the taste then the aroma had.

M- Slightly crisp, a little tickling on the tongue. A bit refreshing, but the taste is a major let down to keep drinking.

D- Hard to finish for me. Dont know if I got a bad bottle, just didnt enjoy it.

Notes: I was very dissapointed in this beer. I wanted to try it and was VERY intrigued by it when I first read about it as I'm somewhat of a history nerd. I was expecting a crazy array of flavors but find it difficult to believe all the work that went into this.

1.6/5  rDev -57.1%

A- Nothing special on the pour. Decent golden color, some foam, not much retention.

S- Spicy, but not in a good way. More like pungent. Grape smell dominates. I don't think this beer is for me.

T- Putrid. Really very bad. The grape flavor dominates, and to me it tastes more like fake grape flavoring.

M- OK mouthfeel, fairly smooth, but nothing special.

This beer probably seemed like a good idea, but I thought it was really awful. I couldn't even finish it.

1.63/5  rDev -56.3%

Maybe my bottle of Midas' Touch was off but my experience was different from those reported by other BeerAdvocate.com users.

When I popped the cap it immediately started foaming. It had been at rest for some time so it was not shaken-up. Perhaps it was because the bottle had been at room temperature. I left it at room temperature for a reason, however. Because Midas' Touch is based upon a multi-millenia old recipe and because the refrigeration technology of the time was not what it is now I wanted to try the beer the way it was drank originally. Anyway, I digress. After the head died down a bit I sniffed the beer; it reminded me of a 40oz. of Steel Reserve 211. The flavor was not terribly dissimilar to other malt-liquors sold in convenience stores the country over. I actually gagged at the ridiculously sweet character of the beer. In the end I only sipped it twice before turning it over to my friend who is known for enjoying beers with a considerably higher malt content. He too was turned off but decided to gulp through it none-the-less.

All-in-all I wouldn't ever bother with Midas' Touch again.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery