Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

good

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,594 | Hads: 4,517
1.11/5  rDev -70.2%

This one poured hazy into the glass with almost no head bad almost sickening aroma. An almost grotesque taste was accompanied by an even worse aftertaste. I had this one at a tasting with my friends I wasn't the only Unhappy customer It almost killed the whole night! (267 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -61.6%

Appearance was impressive. Golden color, with a nice white foam head. Looks good enough...

But then you smell it. Oh man, this gave off an awful nose. It had some grape aroma, and some spices. I know this might not sound bad, but I really cringed as I smelt this.

And the same goes for the taste. It has the grapes and the spices in it, with some sour notes to it. It was interesting, and so different from anything I've had, but it was not good.

Besides the taste and the aroma, this beer wasn't awful. Mouthfeel was okay excluding those factors. However...this had very low drinkability. The awful taste took its toll on drinkability. I split this 12 oz bottle with a friend, but the 6 oz's I had were unbearable. I had to pour the end of it because of how bad it was.

Overall, this is an awful beer. I bought one bottle because I saw a segment about it on the History Chanel and was interested. Yes it was interesting because of the story behind it and the fact that it was different, but as a beer this was awful. I'm so sure of how bad this beer is that I won't even re-visit it again. Too many good beers out there. (1,125 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -58.3%

Not my kind of beer. It's not drinkable beer. I have hard time to finish the bottle. there is something that holds me back. i don't know even what is that. simply it's not smooth. I had enough of this beer. i don't think I'll order it again. good job Nina!!!! (259 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -57%

No head on the pour. The color is a amber with red highlights. No gold....where's Midas?
Heavy alcohol, extreme spice, honey, grapes and pepper. Raunchy, but I'll try it anyway.
Oof - this is where my "inexperiance" as an advocate comes in. I have a feeling I know what I'm tasting but I can't begin to describe the pain my taste buds are in. An immediate peppery sting inflames the mouth and the grapes, saffron and alcohol kill them off. WTF is Saffron? lol
I dumped this sucker. Sorry DFH.

Oh yeah, and I paid $18 for four of these?! Kill me. (551 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured into pint glass

A- Appropriate gold appearance, however more of an amber color. Loads of carbonation. Not much head at all really, dissapates quickly as well.

S- Hint of white grapes and apple. Very weak smelling beer however. Alcohol is hidden.

T- Kind of tastes like a cheap beer IMO. The scents mentioned above come through even weaker in the taste then the aroma had.

M- Slightly crisp, a little tickling on the tongue. A bit refreshing, but the taste is a major let down to keep drinking.

D- Hard to finish for me. Dont know if I got a bad bottle, just didnt enjoy it.

Notes: I was very dissapointed in this beer. I wanted to try it and was VERY intrigued by it when I first read about it as I'm somewhat of a history nerd. I was expecting a crazy array of flavors but find it difficult to believe all the work that went into this. (850 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -56.7%

Pours a golden hue, and the head dissipates quickly.

I am an Anthropological student and this was sold to dogfish by an archaeologist so that is
cool--props for that!

Smells like honey and alcohol.

The Egyptians can keep it-Sorry, but I don't see what all the hoopla is about--Tastes like High Gravity malt liquor- not worth the money at all..

Nuff said! (358 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -55.9%

Maybe my bottle of Midas' Touch was off but my experience was different from those reported by other BeerAdvocate.com users.

When I popped the cap it immediately started foaming. It had been at rest for some time so it was not shaken-up. Perhaps it was because the bottle had been at room temperature. I left it at room temperature for a reason, however. Because Midas' Touch is based upon a multi-millenia old recipe and because the refrigeration technology of the time was not what it is now I wanted to try the beer the way it was drank originally. Anyway, I digress. After the head died down a bit I sniffed the beer; it reminded me of a 40oz. of Steel Reserve 211. The flavor was not terribly dissimilar to other malt-liquors sold in convenience stores the country over. I actually gagged at the ridiculously sweet character of the beer. In the end I only sipped it twice before turning it over to my friend who is known for enjoying beers with a considerably higher malt content. He too was turned off but decided to gulp through it none-the-less.

All-in-all I wouldn't ever bother with Midas' Touch again. (1,119 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -55.4%

A- Nothing special on the pour. Decent golden color, some foam, not much retention.

S- Spicy, but not in a good way. More like pungent. Grape smell dominates. I don't think this beer is for me.

T- Putrid. Really very bad. The grape flavor dominates, and to me it tastes more like fake grape flavoring.

M- OK mouthfeel, fairly smooth, but nothing special.

This beer probably seemed like a good idea, but I thought it was really awful. I couldn't even finish it. (464 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -55.1%

Honey, apples juice, a few bubbles, and virtually no head what so ever. Not much to look at.

Grapes, honey, and alcohol. I don't recall honey being in the mix here, but I'm certainly getting a sweet note similar to it. Reminds me of a fruity white wine. Interesting...but not sure what to think of it.

A huge alcohol kick, then white wine and a sweet flavor I cannot place. I have no idea what saffron is so I'll go with that? Wow this is only 9%? I would have guessed 12-13% at least, maybe even 15%. An awful job hiding the alcohol.

This beer has just a touch of carbonation, burns, and is pretty darn thick. Not really creamy.

I had this a few years ago when it first came out, wasn't a fan then but it's been years so I figured I should try again. Well...umm seems first responses don't always change.

A huge applause for the work that dogfish put into this. You can tell from the start they really worked hard to make this stuff. Sadly it's just not for me. (971 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -54.6%

Bottle date is 6-30-10. Pours perfectly see through amber orange, small white head turns to ring and cap. Plenty of slow rising carbonation bubbles.

First thing that comes to mind upon smelling is a bready macro scent. Once it warms it's followed by huge floral notes and sickeningly sweet fruit.

A completely messy, awful mix of flowers, perfume, bread and honey, white wine, finishing with a lingering taste of cheap vodka. Heat burns in my chest like I just had a shitty mixed drink. IT BURNS!!!

I had high hopes for this for some reason. I got about 6oz in before a drainpour which I rarely do. I can't understand how anyone could enjoy this. (649 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Chardonay.
Smell: Vinous. Sour apples, yeasty funk.
Taste: Grapes, dill pickles, must.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, no carbonation.
Drinkability: Boozy, sour, old-tasting. Decidedly not for me.
Verdict: This beer was made on a recipe based off of molecular analyzation of the residue inside flasks found in King Midas's tomb. I'm thankful we have come along so far in the millenia that have passed. (412 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -51.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. I know I'm in minority but not a big fan of Dogfish Head but tried keeping open mind.

A: beautiful deep gold color, no head

S: grapes led to faint hop aroma

T: mild grape flavor and not much else

M: full mouthfeel with high carbonation and warmth

D: will only ever drink this one

Overall way too much like wine/champagne for me. I prefer medium to full body ales. (405 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -47.3%

I hope I don't get labeled a beer terrorist for this review, but this beer was not for me. The first thing I noticed was the horrible odor of urine. This beer smells and looks and smells like urine. The taste is a little sweet for my tastes and the flavor of the saffron didn't win me over. This is an resounding "No" from me. (326 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -46%

No head and honey color body with no bubbles.
Smells like middle eastern food.
foul bitterness and vineyard taste. mumbled expression, cannot pick out the grapes or the malt or the saffron.
light amount of bubbles Alcohol is much to apparent.
drank one fifth a 375 ml bottle and threw the rest out.

This does not even make it as a novelty beer, best to avoided at all costs. (383 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -45.4%

Poured from a 12 oz.bottle. Color is a medium yellow-gold, slight carbonation, and some head on pouring but quickly dissipated to nothing, which leads me to believe that what I saw was just aeration from a vigorous pour. This looks not unlike white wine.

Smell - Bready malt. Competing with the malt was an apple juice odor and diacteyl. Some strong alcohol, also.

Taste - bready malt, that quickly gives way to apple juice and diacetyl. And an almost overpowering astringent alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel - thin, fluid, no carbonation.

Drinkability - goes down like cheap white wine, that is, it's too sweet and the alcohol taste is too strong. I was interested in this as an interserting experiment, but having had it, I would not ever get this again. (762 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -45.2%

Beer looked nice when poured into a pint glass, and I enjoyed the smell of the grape. This was very sweet and tasted almost like candy. Very light feeling in the mouth, but with the sweet taste was very undrinkable. I had to give up drinking it after about a third of the beer and this has never happened to me.

Overall Just Not Impressed (339 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -44.9%

This one is golden-amber in color and has a small off-white head.
The aroma is sweet with honey and malt.
Its flavor is very sweet as well. The honey is a bit too strong for my likings. The grapes also register on the taste buds near the finish along with a slight alcohol presence.
Mouth feel is thick and syrupy with high carbonation levels. (347 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. bottle into glass pint.
40°F

$2.99 / ea.

A: Bright amber body with red highlights topped with a small loose head that quickly dissipates leaving no lace and only a ring of cover.

S: Extremely sweet aroma. Grapes and cotton candy. No hop aromas.

T: Overpoweringly sweet. Grapes and herbal honey. Slight alcohol in the background. Not balanced in any sense.

M: Medium body with light carbonation. Slight carbonic bite, and smooth body compliments of a sugar coated tongue.

D: One 12 oz. bottle is way more than enough. The sweetness is distracting and makes it difficult to detect any nuance.

O: Really disappointed with this one. (643 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -42.7%

I picked up this beer, and it tasted exactly like steel reserve. If I had known, i wouldn't have paid almost fourteen dollars for a four pack and just got a 40oz of malt liquor. I couldn't taste grape or honey like they claim they use on the bottle. (249 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -42.2%

Pours orange-amber with a creamy, slowly dissipating head.
Nose is quite sweet, a mix of clean malt, floral honey and white wine. Can't really pick out the saffron, I'm not exactly familiar with it. Later on oatmeal becomes apparent.
Flavours are similarly sweet. Stale malt, cheap fortified white wine and noticeable alcohol combine to form quite a challenging experience.
Carbonation is quite high. Mouthfeel is very slick. Very noticeable astringency. (454 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -41.4%

Poured into pint glass.
This is a unique beer which saves it from getting bellow the 2's. A nice deep gold color, but absolutely no head.
Taste was stale honey, some malt, no hops and a hint of caramel.
It was a thicker feel to it than it looked. Coating and an aftertaste of metal and honey.
Disappointed. (310 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -40.3%

I found this at One Stop Liquors in Johnson City, Tennessee, and had it shipped to Moscow via air freight. Arrived none the worse for wear, so I eagerly popped the cap on 11/29/04. The neck label features a thumb print, while the main label is quite plain, simply identifying this as an ancient ale made of barley, honey, muscat grapes and safron. Hmm...

Pours pale orange (shouldn't something named Midas be gold, at least?) under a very thin 1/3 finger off white head that fizzles as quickly as it forms. Purely from the appearance, it reminds me of some pretty bad Russian beers of the Zhigulovskoye line. The nose is, well, distinctive: grape and malt, with a touch of spice (I assume that's the safron) and slightly sour. These are not good images here. The mouth is very prickly and quite thick/heavy, presumably from the fruit juice. Taste? Oh my. Grapes and safron are definitely noticeable, sweet and sour, almost like grape juice on drugs. There's definitely malt here, and even a dash of coniferous hops that lends a dry bit element to the finish, but this tastes and feels much more like a mead than a beer. Not a very good mead either. Glad I got just one, as I couldn't bring myself to finish even that much. (1,225 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -40.1%

Out of curiosity had to try this...golden color with big eggshell colored foamy head. smell like white grapes, sweet and boozy tastes kinda like a chardonnay no bitterness to speak of. to me it tastes like a cheap malt liqour. very little carbonation. overall im dissapointed. I didnt know what to expect, i guess this is what they were goin for when they brewed this but i wont ever buy this again and its way too expensive. I paid 3.39 plus tax for a 12oz. glad i only bought one. dog fish head has a lot of very different and unique beers so i give them credit for that. and no disrespect to cheap malt liqours, but this really tastes similar to colt 45. one of the better malt liquors. (689 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured a light amber with a tiny head.

Smell was metallic with some hops, spices and a touch of honey.

Taste was somewhat sweet and honey-like on the front end, but as it moved along the palate the alcohol sting was overwhelming. The beer was so acidic that I had to fight the urge to spit out what I had in my mouth. The aftertaste was quite metallic and had an unpalatable alcohol flavor as well.

The body was rather thin and the beer turned flat very quickly.

I could not bear to finish this drink. The Egyptians may have invented beer but it's obvious that their recipe had changed for a reason. This beer is absolutely retched. (636 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -39.8%

*hated it would not buy*

app: looks peachy. nice, no head.

smell: yuck, smells like a rotten pile of fall leaves and burning hair chemicals.

taste: yuck, lots of heffe flavors up front then tastes like a thick macro brew, very unblended, its all over the place no unity of flavors no direction. the after flavor is painful.

mf: fine for such a strange brew.

drinkable?: HA. not in the least, hold your nose and chug this is a mess.

side not for all DFH beers. keep trying, keep going for the weird wild brews, you get em right some times. and at least you are not a follower! CHEERS! (590 characters)

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery