Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,472 | Reviews: 1,616
4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

I had this beer for the first time years ago when the allure of drinking ancient brew let me smile smugly at my Coors-drinking friends. And when I had a bottle tonight, the recipe still has that mystique for me. Some may say it's the hype but I think it's because it truly is a different beer. For one, I can't decide if it's more like a barleywine or a mead. It pours like an elixer, but more silky, and with a deep gold color. Its taste reminds me of a mead, with a combination of fruity tones, but they are not sweet. At some points it feels like a wine, with a dry grape flavor. It's a complex beer that alters as you drink it, as the temperature changes, and as the alcohol settles in. It's a nice sipping beer, but I think it begs to be paired with something like a stinky cheese.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Rating a bottle at UC's international beer tasting. I've previously had it a few times. Poured clear with a slight honey color. Almost like a BMC. Poured a little thicker than average which would make sense with a higher gravity beer. The first thing I noticed on the taste was the total lack of hops (hooray for a beer recipe that pre-dates the widespread hopping of beer. There is a slight taste of white grapes, similar to a whine with a huge honey follow-up. The honey taste is pretty heavy but the beer is still incredibly drinkable. at $15 per four pack its an occasional drinker at best, but still a personal favorite.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance: Golden/clear amber hue

Smell: Wow! White grape juice & Honeysuckle

Taste: Grape, honey, and floral. Slightly bitter on the back of the tongue after you swallow.

Feel: Medium to full-bodied. Low carbonation. Surrprisingly dry for being sweet. Nice balance.

Drinkability: Unique and a nice twist. Almost a cross between a dessert wine and a ale. Will drink again and again.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a hazy golden peach like color with good lacing around the beer. Smells of honey, citrus, white wine and spice. tastes of bread, honey,wine. This beer has just the right amount of carbonation and for being a 9% abv they did a good job of masking it. I will be buying some more of this stuff..

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance: A clear, pale, amber, a thin white lacing with a nice foamy ring.

Smell: Mild, some barnyard funkiness, a little malt sweetness.

Taste: A light caramel sweetness, then a little funkiness, a light clove spice, a lingering caramel or raisin sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth and creamy, light carbonation and very drinkable.

Drinkability: Interesting brew. To me it tastes like it has Belgian sweetness, saison flavor, and hef spice, also some scotch style stickiness.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

I bought this beer with a high level of anticipation. Being a huge fan of Dogfish Head's brews in general, this beer intrigued me from the moment I heard of it. Well, I finally came across it at the Earth Fare in Raleigh, NC, and bought the 4-pack, splitting it with another curious taster.

I poured the beer from its 12oz bottle into a Duvel glass. A thin head appeared, but only briefly, as I examined the contents. The color is golden brown, and the aroma reminded me of Belgian ales.

The taste is superb. Vanilla and honey are perhaps the strongest flavors, with the muscat grape coming in just behind. There's no hiding the alcohol here! At 9% ABV it's sure to be noticed. Again, the sweetness reminds me of Belgian-style ales, but the flavor is quite distinctive. Very malty as well; no hoppy bitterness to speak of. The aftertaste lingers for some time, and I noticed a particularly nutty flavor in the back of the mouth several seconds after swallowing.

I really like the mouthfeel of this beer. It coats the mouth and forces you to taste every aspect of it. I highly recommend this beer, especially to those who enjoy Belgian ales and fortified wines.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Finally got around to watching the great documentary "Beer Wars" and after Dogfish Head's extensive coverage, I decided to go buy a pack of the Midas Touch for the holiday season. I'm glad I did.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance is a beautiful shade of gold. It's almost an amber color, but not as dirty as a regular amber ale. Very shiny and little head retention, but nonetheless it looks dashing.

Smell is nice and full of herbs, mainly saffron. The hops are lightly delicate and not overpowering whatsoever. Definitely a nice well-rounded smelling brew.

Taste is excellent. For how light this brew is in terms of viscosity, it's very flavorful. With the nice balance of spices and ingredients, this is a highly quenchable beer. Definitely a sipper though.

Mouthfeel is good. Flavor keeps strong retention and doesn't lose its luster. No complaints here.

Drinkability is top notch. While it is a sweet tasting beer, I personally would drink it in cycles. This is a great beer anytime of the year, but it's definitely best around the holidays. My extreme appreciation goes to the makers at Dogfish Head for making such good products. Keep it going!

Interesting and delicious
pours a light amber with 1/4 inch head that dissipates and leaves no real lacing to speak of.
smell was sweet malts, honey, and quite grapey with slight earthy hop notes, very slight indeed.
the taste was sweetness up front from the grape and honey that finished slightly dry from the alcohol. Very wine like at its essence. very enjoyable but sneaks up on you

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a light shade of pure gold with magnificent clarity. A fizzy white head of one and a half fingers is short-lived and leaves spotty lacing. Active streams of fine bubbles expel most curious aromas of dates, sack mead and grape-soda. A whiff of alcohol lies in the background, and no detectable barley or hop scent to speak of. The first sip has the sweet twang of cidery ester, pale malt sweetness and sharp Pils malt. A light concorde vinous note develops early, and dry, sparkling mead tones are dominant throughout. The aftertaste is mild, with only hints of an herbal, gruit-like taste that gives resonable balance to the complex flavor. The drink has more a feeling of a wine & mead concoction, and consequently manages the mellow suggestion of alcohol well, which might have been more obviously perceived in a more familiar beer tasting brew.The body is on the lighter side, but obviously thinned out by highly fermentable sugars; and the carbonation is appropriatly spritzy; keeping the mouthfeel snappy and preventing any cloying; lest the drinker become overwhelmed by the peculiar sweetness clinging to his tounge. The finish leans toward residual, but the drying alcohol and subdued spice character allow a well-rounded, if not esoteric beer down to the last swigs.

Obviously the brewers intended to produce a period/historic beer, and in the process re-created something totally alien to most contemporary ales and lagers. But I appluad thier innovation and score this generously because the applied beer catagory is indistinct and varied and because I like it.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

A- Clear dark gold with an orange tint. Saffron may be adding to the unique color. Large bubbles.
S- Sweet smell of grapes and honey. Pretty intense. Wine-like alcohol.
T- Lots of flavor. Sweet barley, honey and grapes dominate with a warm alcohol burn. Saffron is subtle. I cannot detect hops or identify them in the flavor. Closely resembles hard cider with it's sweet tartness.
M- More like hard cider or a wine spritzer than a beer in it's mouthfeel.
D- Great sipper and great with food that white wines would usually pair with.
Notes: An intense high alcohol brew(?) like this seems unlikely to be a crossover beer, but try sharing with friends who would usually be drinking chardonnet or hard cider and see what happens.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Courtesy of Andrew Lancaster - he picked it up at a Beer & Cheese Shop in North Carolina!

Appearance: Golden - Honey Colored - Decent head that fizzles out pretty quick

Smell: Nutmeg, Fried Chicken, Curry, malt, roasted nut

Taste: Nutmeg, Honey, Coriander, HoneyDew - alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Light to Medium Bodied - not fizzy - very smooth.

Drinkability: Very easy drink - "I can slam down about three of these, it's very easy to drink!" - Anonymous

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a yellow-gold color with a thin one-finger head. Carbonation seems even.

Aroma is mainly honey with saffron and only a hint of grape. Sweet. Similar to a few other beers I've had where they claim to be based upon ancient recipes.

Taste starts out sweet with the honey and saffron.Spiciness kicks in the middle with Grape is noticeable at the back of the throat. Seems to be a good experiment in extremes.

Mouthfeel is mainly the mixture of tastes (sweetness, spiciness) and it becomes light and fluffy all the way at the back of the throat, as if you didn't even drink a thing. Finishes smooth in other words. Alcohol warmth is present and with some aging, will no doubt fade over time.

An complex and interesting ale. I can honestly say I haven't had anything like this before. I have had a few examples of ales claiming to be made with ancient recipes. Those were either too cloying or too mundane. This one has the right balance. For that reason, I'm going to rate it higher than typical reviews. You have to be able to pick out the flavor in order to truly enjoy this ale. As I said, it might be even better with some aging and might take on more of a port-like quality. I'm no expert there but this is worth a shot at least once. Try it. It won't hurt you.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

I know that this is a controversial brew, but I really like it and I get an added frisson from the historical angle. I like the idea of this beer, and happily I like the beer itself.

The brew pours a dark golden like an artisnal honey. The head is fine with small tight bubbles that dissipates to a ring.

The smell is of rich honey and hops and candied fruit- perhaps pineapple.

The taste is a little like a Belgian golden, and is very winey with some distinct grape and honey flavors. I don't detect any saffron unless its in an undefined bitterness.

The mouthfeel is a little syrupy, but overall its clean.

The complexity of the beer makes me want to keep drinking more, it is a little unusual, so I like this as a beer to end the evening, not as a session beer.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

OK,I have a positive bias for Dogfish Head, but I had avoided this brew for a while. It was suggested by a vendor as his favorite and I decided it deserved my taste. It surprised me with an excellent balance and drinkability.

Make no doubt, this is a very sweet concocton. It is not at all boozy, especially considering it's strength. I can see why a brew like this may have been popular in days long gone.

This is a worthwhile rbew to try. Go ahead and step into the past.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

The most interesting beer I've ever experienced. The story is worth trying the beer for alone (read the story behind it if you're not familiar with it). This beer pours a cloudy amber/orange color and doesn't create much head no matter how it's poured. There is no lacing from this beer. The aroma is very odd, containing scents of honey, alcohol and some spices. The beer is very thick - much more thick than a wine or something, but surprisingly drinkable for the pouring characteristics. I want to classify the taste as a mix between good beer and good champagne - that becomes a fairly good tasting result. I couldn't drink more than a few pints of this at a time, but the story of the beer makes the taste even more interesting than it would normally be. My hat is off to Dogfish Head for coming up with this one - it is indeed one of a kind.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured golden with a slight head into a dogfish signature glass.
Smells sweet, fruity and somewhat like candy.
Wow, thats a moutful of beer! A lot of malty sweetness along with some honey, a candy like flavour, most likely from the grapes, and all this with a warm and plesant booziness.
The mouthfeel is thin in front, and creamy in the back, perfect carbonation for this beer.
The grapes and saffron does not point out, wich was a small disapointment, but it's a really good beer anyways.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

First of all: Very delicious beer. When I saw "saffron" and "grapes" written on the bottle, I was a little hesitant, but I've come to expect perfection from Dogfish Head and I was not let down. Midas Touch delivers.

Very good aromas, strong fruity scents, and these also enhance the taste. 9% abv but it's well masked - you can't taste the alcohol over the strong flavors. Feels wonderful.

Pour me another! I'll be returning to Midas Touch pretty soon.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Served on tap at the local pub and at my own wedding (gives a clue as to my affinity for this golden honey brew)

This beer is quite exceptional from the bottle when aged and allowed to mellow, but on tap it's a different beast. Pours a beautiful dark gold color with the slightest amber hue.

Smells biscuits, honey and saffron up front and a lingering phenol

Taste follows the aroma. Quite buttery, toasted bread, mellow and sweet followed by a diacetyl flavor and warming alcohol; slightly phenol again and faintly grapy. Each raising of the glass brings out the complexity of the flavors as the beer warms also.

Syrupy and velvety mouthfeel, very smooth if heavy. A nice, mild but surprising carbonation that is crisp and lends itself well to the warming flavors of the beer.

Dangerously drinkable for the abv. Many people that find this brew to be a bit too much for high drinkability out of the bottle find no such problem with it on tap as it becomes quite a bit more mellowed (thought I find it to be almost as satisfying bottled). An exceptional brew not to be missed!

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

This is a sipping beer, or a pairing-with-food beer, not a drinking beer as we tend to understand it on this site, but it's a pretty great beer for those occasions.

The nose is very wine or mead-like, with white grapes and honey. I didn't have a great experience with my last honey beer, so I was nervous, but there was no need--the mouthfeel is sugary but without being syrupy, the alcohol must give a warming effect, and the taste blends nicely overall. The malt must soften the sweetness and the alcohol content. I catch a little bit of spice--is it the saffron? I'm not sure--but overall this really reminds me of a warmer friendlier beer-ier champagne.

I would definitely drink it again.

4.36/5  rDev +16.9%

From Notes 8-6-08

Eye: Clear gold in appearance . Head formation was never really up there but at least it does have a head. Steady retention of the head, which is more of a thick blanket, and an overall nice texture -creamy- make up for the size...given the type of beer/drink this is I think that this "froth" is more appropriate. Lacing is perfect....it makes up for any flaw in appearance.

Nose: Herbal notes and honey are prominent. Nice overall round mellow aroma. No hops and not much coming from malted barley, mostly comprised of herbs and honey as aforementioned. Some alcohol is noticeable.

Tongue: Honey and some herbal notes, much as in the aroma. Alcohol is present, lending a spicy character to give some balance. Hop bitterness is just there, not really noticeable but if you look for it one can find it. There are also some vinous characteristics here-kinda dry much like a dry white wine.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Mouthfeel is medium-light. The honey in here gives it some body, carbonation is spot on. Great beer, one that everyone should try. This is one for wine drinkers, it would be a nice crossover for them in my opinion, and if you love mead than this one is also for you. This is one I'll definitely be buying again, easy to drink, however, I can't see drinking more than two in a sitting. Just a nice beer to sit and relax with.

4.36/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Described as an "ancient" ale, it pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a head that foams up nicely, but retreats quickly. The nose is complex with honey, bananas, muscat grapes. The hop character is very subdued if present at all. The flavor is very sweet but in a good way, like in a Belgian-style. Again, there is good flavor of honey. It is full bodied with a nice alcohol heat that is equal to the carbonation and cream. I had one of these in my wine cellar for about 11 months after purchase and it was just as good as the first one I ever opened.

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

Whether or not the legend behind this beer is true, it's definitely one for the ages. It's why I love Dogfish Head stuff so much: recognizably, undoubtedly beer, but also adventurous, unique, always different and usually incredibly tasty.

Pours a finger-thick soapy head which chills out pretty quickly to almost nothing, just a little foam around the sides. Medium carbonation and glowing reddish-gold body. Dots of lace.

Smells of white grapes, raisins, honey, with an almost sherry-like alcoholic richness in the background. I've never smelled a beer quite like this one. Fruity, spicy, fragrant, an interesting combination of ingredients, definitely unique.

Flavors are abundant. Even if you'd never read the label, the white grape is a pronounced and obvious flavor, with walnut, barley, honey and a bit of the 9% ABV making itself known. There's also a slightly spiky spice here, which I suppose is saffron, but I'm not well-versed enough with saffron to actually pick that out without the label's help.

Creamy in the mouth, with a mild bite to the carbonation.

An excellent summer drink with a complex flavor profile that helps hide the higher ABV a little too well. The first time I had this was autumn '05, sitting on a friends' porch while watching a parade of hundreds of runners running a Raleigh road race, glad I was partaking of this fine brew and not doing all that running.

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a nice amber color with a slight haze and some white particles drifting around the glass. Medium sized head on top that reduces quickly to a thin lace on the surface. Lots of carbonation rising to the surface. Wonderfully complex aroma. Malty and fruity… grapes are apparent, and a bit of apple is also noticeable. I can detect some spice on the nose. It may be the saffron that is mentioned on the label, but I never would have know if it wasn’t on the bottle. A touch of floral hops and alcohol are also in the aroma. Palate, like the nose, seems to be quite complex. There’s a smooth sweet slightly malty start shortly followed by fruity flavors. Some sweetness and smoothness is also added by the honey. Grapes and grape skins are quite noticeable, and I’m still detecting a touch of apple. The finish is sweet, yet is also slightly hoppy and fairly tart. The malt comes through a bit more again in the aftertaste. There’s a bit of a warming sensation as this brew goes down. Full mouth feel with a nice carbonation. Great brew that is pretty complex and definitely unique. I’m finding it a bit tough to piece together all the flavors in this review. It would probably make for a nice desert beer and is certainly a nice change of pace.

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance- Inviting, slightly hazy gold-amber with cream-white head, fairly low retention. Light on lacing.

Smell- Strong aromas of grain, sweet fruit -specifically grape, spicy herbal notes, and clover honey. Pretty complex and very intriguing.

Taste- Strong, sweet notes of honey and herbal spices, grape, malty-grainy dryness. Complex and well-balanced. Honey and then a slight bitter dryness on the finish. Some warming from the alcohol as it travels down the throat, but otherwise the alcohol is fairly well hidden.

Mouthfeel- Really good mouthfeel- creamy and full-bodied, much more so than it looks. Satisfying.

Drinkability- A very delicious and complex brew. Definitely different from most of the beer I've tasted. If it weren't for the price tag, I'd like to think I'd pick up quite a few of these and sit around with friends drinking this with a good meal.

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured a dark honey color with no noticeable head. Plenty of effervescence, though. The smell is flowery, cidery, and it makes for no misgivings about its potency. Bit of earthiness to it, very pleasant. The taste is a vertiable explosion on the pallate - very complex. Sweet honey, herbal notes, almost a trappist-like dark fruitiness, but sweeter. Exceptionally tasty. Mouthfeel is very sweet, and the carbonation level is very very fine. Very tasty beverage, and a welcome change.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery