Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros

Bunnyhops, Oct 16, 2012

tmars13, Aug 21, 2012

rah1734bones, Apr 09, 2012

Jeeb, Jul 09, 2013

Ryandey, Aug 30, 2012

tatums1984, Jan 13, 2012

sponger, Jan 28, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -45.6%

I hope I don't get labeled a beer terrorist for this review, but this beer was not for me. The first thing I noticed was the horrible odor of urine. This beer smells and looks and smells like urine. The taste is a little sweet for my tastes and the flavor of the saffron didn't win me over. This is an resounding "No" from me.

FrognutUnl, Jun 30, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -45.6%

Poured from a 12 oz.bottle. Color is a medium yellow-gold, slight carbonation, and some head on pouring but quickly dissipated to nothing, which leads me to believe that what I saw was just aeration from a vigorous pour. This looks not unlike white wine.

Smell - Bready malt. Competing with the malt was an apple juice odor and diacteyl. Some strong alcohol, also.

Taste - bready malt, that quickly gives way to apple juice and diacetyl. And an almost overpowering astringent alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel - thin, fluid, no carbonation.

Drinkability - goes down like cheap white wine, that is, it's too sweet and the alcohol taste is too strong. I was interested in this as an interserting experiment, but having had it, I would not ever get this again.

ultralarry2006, May 15, 2006
2.05/5  rDev -45%

This one is golden-amber in color and has a small off-white head.
The aroma is sweet with honey and malt.
Its flavor is very sweet as well. The honey is a bit too strong for my likings. The grapes also register on the taste buds near the finish along with a slight alcohol presence.
Mouth feel is thick and syrupy with high carbonation levels.

Naes, Dec 28, 2005
2.05/5  rDev -45%

I picked up this beer, and it tasted exactly like steel reserve. If I had known, i wouldn't have paid almost fourteen dollars for a four pack and just got a 40oz of malt liquor. I couldn't taste grape or honey like they claim they use on the bottle.

Shangus, Sep 29, 2013
2.08/5  rDev -44.2%

Pours orange-amber with a creamy, slowly dissipating head.
Nose is quite sweet, a mix of clean malt, floral honey and white wine. Can't really pick out the saffron, I'm not exactly familiar with it. Later on oatmeal becomes apparent.
Flavours are similarly sweet. Stale malt, cheap fortified white wine and noticeable alcohol combine to form quite a challenging experience.
Carbonation is quite high. Mouthfeel is very slick. Very noticeable astringency.

CrazyDavros, Jul 16, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. bottle into glass pint.
40°F

$2.99 / ea.

A: Bright amber body with red highlights topped with a small loose head that quickly dissipates leaving no lace and only a ring of cover.

S: Extremely sweet aroma. Grapes and cotton candy. No hop aromas.

T: Overpoweringly sweet. Grapes and herbal honey. Slight alcohol in the background. Not balanced in any sense.

M: Medium body with light carbonation. Slight carbonic bite, and smooth body compliments of a sugar coated tongue.

D: One 12 oz. bottle is way more than enough. The sweetness is distracting and makes it difficult to detect any nuance.

O: Really disappointed with this one.

dpnelson1978, Nov 15, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -42.4%

Poured into pint glass.
This is a unique beer which saves it from getting bellow the 2's. A nice deep gold color, but absolutely no head.
Taste was stale honey, some malt, no hops and a hint of caramel.
It was a thicker feel to it than it looked. Coating and an aftertaste of metal and honey.
Disappointed.

Mebuzzard, Feb 03, 2006
2.17/5  rDev -41.8%

Poured a light amber with a tiny head.

Smell was metallic with some hops, spices and a touch of honey.

Taste was somewhat sweet and honey-like on the front end, but as it moved along the palate the alcohol sting was overwhelming. The beer was so acidic that I had to fight the urge to spit out what I had in my mouth. The aftertaste was quite metallic and had an unpalatable alcohol flavor as well.

The body was rather thin and the beer turned flat very quickly.

I could not bear to finish this drink. The Egyptians may have invented beer but it's obvious that their recipe had changed for a reason. This beer is absolutely retched.

Damian, Aug 12, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -41%

I found this at One Stop Liquors in Johnson City, Tennessee, and had it shipped to Moscow via air freight. Arrived none the worse for wear, so I eagerly popped the cap on 11/29/04. The neck label features a thumb print, while the main label is quite plain, simply identifying this as an ancient ale made of barley, honey, muscat grapes and safron. Hmm...

Pours pale orange (shouldn't something named Midas be gold, at least?) under a very thin 1/3 finger off white head that fizzles as quickly as it forms. Purely from the appearance, it reminds me of some pretty bad Russian beers of the Zhigulovskoye line. The nose is, well, distinctive: grape and malt, with a touch of spice (I assume that's the safron) and slightly sour. These are not good images here. The mouth is very prickly and quite thick/heavy, presumably from the fruit juice. Taste? Oh my. Grapes and safron are definitely noticeable, sweet and sour, almost like grape juice on drugs. There's definitely malt here, and even a dash of coniferous hops that lends a dry bit element to the finish, but this tastes and feels much more like a mead than a beer. Not a very good mead either. Glad I got just one, as I couldn't bring myself to finish even that much.

Globetrotter, Nov 30, 2004
2.2/5  rDev -41%

Out of curiosity had to try this...golden color with big eggshell colored foamy head. smell like white grapes, sweet and boozy tastes kinda like a chardonnay no bitterness to speak of. to me it tastes like a cheap malt liqour. very little carbonation. overall im dissapointed. I didnt know what to expect, i guess this is what they were goin for when they brewed this but i wont ever buy this again and its way too expensive. I paid 3.39 plus tax for a 12oz. glad i only bought one. dog fish head has a lot of very different and unique beers so i give them credit for that. and no disrespect to cheap malt liqours, but this really tastes similar to colt 45. one of the better malt liquors.

Beermazter310, Jun 01, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -41%

I love Dogfish beers, but I can't say I feel this one at all. In fact, out of all the DFH beers I've had, this one stands out as my least favorite.

It pours a pretty pale amber color and it smells really good. It's a very unique smell - lots of spice and a whole lot going on. However, this definitely does not translate to great taste. I thought this beer tastes like it has WAY too much going on. I can't get a handle on what flavors are supposed to come through and they all end up mixing together in a pretty unmanagable combination for me.

It has a mouthfeel very similar to a Miller Lite (which I don't think is a real beer) and overall just doesn't work for me. Like I said, I am a HUGE fan of DFH, but I think they missed the mark on this one. But hey, the girl I date likes it, so maybe it's just me.

psumjl269, Jun 04, 2011

bca115, May 15, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -39.7%

To what guidelines does one review "an ancient ale?"

Thin white head that quickly fades to skim. Clear, honey colored.

Smells of dry dirt, honey and tortilla chips.

Tastes like carbonated corn chips and honey puree.

I started drinking this while reading a book about the Lost Boys of Sudan. I continued drinking it thinking if the Lost Boys can dodge helicopters, starvation, and lions I can finish this beer. Alas, I could not..drainpour.

donkeyrunner, Apr 30, 2009