Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,472 | Reviews: 1,616
2.55/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into tumbler at 45 dgrees. Noticed right away there was absolutly no head. Straw colored brew smelled like beer I use to make with Mr. Beer kit. Tasted like it also. Very flat tasting. Still it was interesting to try a beer that was made so long ago. I think you should try it and see what you think. Personally I'm glad we have better beer today. Not buy again.

2.56/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear dark yellow, almost gold. Very little head and lacing. Aroma is of grapes, herbs, and hone. Flavor follows suit with the aroma. Flavor is dominated by grape sweetness and floral honey. Big flavor impact from whatever herbs are used. No forthright grain or hop flavor and aroma. I enjoyed this beer the first third of the glass, but things turned south quickly and it ended up being a drainpour. The bitter herb flavor became too dominant as the beer warmed, and the grape flavors were also unpleasant and warmer temperatures.

2.57/5  rDev -31.1%

Purchased from Three Cellars in Franklin, WI. This beer poured a clear golden color with no foam. Makes me wonder if the bottle is a bit old? Aroma is of grapes. Medium bodied, it tastes of grapes up front and malt sweetness in the finish. Seemed very one-dimensional -- I was expecting more depth of flavor.

2.57/5  rDev -31.1%

I am not sure what I may have been expecting, but this wasn't it. The 'Golden' in the Golden Elixer expressed on the label is certainly correct...

Perhaps it was the particlar bottle (and considering that it's DFH, I'm certainly willing to take a second chance)... but this brew was much more sour than spicy.

2.57/5  rDev -31.1%

Somewhere between a bock and a typical Belgian golden ale, Dogfish Head Midas Touch is a honeyed, lightly grapey mess of flavors and textures. Almost immediately flat, this brew ends up drinking more like a honeyed spirit or mixed drink. With some mead characteristics, the primary tastes in this brew are the muscat grapes and an undercooked caramel. At times this is a Belgian, at times it's a bad special bitter and, through it all, this beer is unbalanced and unsure of itself. The saffron hints at the nose, but is subdued by some ripe fusel alcohol. The finish is very dry and highlights the English-style maltiness; it redeems this beer.

To know what this beer is is a tough task; DFH makes itself vulnerable to criticism by releasing a beer based on something no one has ever heard of. That said, there are all sorts of beers on the market from Baladin Nora to different gruits that take old or otherwise extinct styles of beer and revitalize them into something spectacular. Midas Touch drinks more like a bastardization of several existing styles of beer than a rehashing of anything historic.

I can only hope more breweries make beer like this, but the Midas Touch itself is a failure.

Relax, relax.
ng

2.6/5  rDev -30.3%

Sigh, I always look forward to any DogFish head beer, but this one is a big pass for me, I guess I like the fact that its different, but different doesnt always mean good. It was really sweet and spicy, tasted like dessert wine. I dunno what to say about this beer and Im sure alot of you will be in the same boat. I guess I can say that its forgettable, I wouldnt order it or buy it again but It was nice to try. not really drinkable at all, Id be suprised if anyone could finish a four pack, I guess I cant like all dogfish head beers or varietals, but I like most, so for me this beer is a "will not order again" but I do recommend trying it.

2.61/5  rDev -30%

When I had this on draft at the brewpub in Rehobeth it was really tasty to the point that I felt compelled to buy two, four packs to take home.

Somewhere between Delaware and PA, either my taste buds went south or the bottled version is different from the draft version. Out of the bottle this beer is way too sweet, and I like sweeter beers. I also like a little bitterness to the beer. At the brewpub I wasn't blown away by sweetness but by balance. In the bottled version it had none.

Unless you like the taste of sweet wine mixed with beer you might want to skip this one. As many other reviewers have noted, kudos to DFH for innovation but I'll stick to their IPA's in the future.

2.66/5  rDev -28.7%

A 12 oz. bottle (dated 7/06) poured in a pint glass, the Midas Touch is a light orange with a very thin head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lace. The aroma is very faint and unassuming, not much different then a Budweiser, or maybe a bit like a club soda. The taste however was nowhere near as subtle, almost entirely dominated by the sweet taste of honey with a touch of champagne. I have never tasted a honey beer that tasted so much like raw honey, almost as if it didn't fully ferment, or they added some extra at bottling. This made it to sweet for me, and I generally favor a sweeter beer. I did not pick up any traces of the saffron, and my Mom makes a mean paella, so I'm pretty familiar with it's taste. I guess it just got lost in the honey. I really liked what I assume I was tasting of the white grapes, reminding me a bit of a Saison, and wish that had been brought out more. As it was, with a fairly thin mouth feel and overbearing sweetness, I did not find this beer to be that drinkable, and would probably not bother with it again, unless I had cellared one for a good year or two, in hopes of easing the sweetness.

2.66/5  rDev -28.7%

12 ounce bottle.

A: Pours a clear golden with a medium white head.
S: Grapes with a hint of hops present in the nose.
T: The very sweet but somewhat sour muscat grapes dominate the palate in this one with something else on the finish, probably the saffron (I have never had this before so I couldn't place it).
M: Light body and good carbonation.
D: The overpowering taste of the muscat grapes must be acquired. I don't taste any honey at all. The saving grace of this beer is that it is not that filling.

After trying almost every beer DFH bottles, I must say this is a miss. I don't really care if it's an historic recipe. The other ancient ales, Theobroma and Chateau are pretty good, but this is too focused on the grapes and perhaps the saffron.

2/26/11 Edit: Gave this one another try and my palate definitely despised some flavor in the taste that sealed the deal between me and this beer ever again in the future.

2.68/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Great honey color and the body is clear, active carbonation and a nice white head.

S - Candy sugar, spices, and some grape aroma. The spice smell is the most prominent.

T - Malts, sugar, hops and spices with maybe a bit of the grapes. The spice (I am guessing the saffron) is off putting to me.

M - Very slick mouthfeel like oil also lots of carbonation.

D - If it wasn't for the spice in the beer I would like this a a lot more, I give DFH props for their experimentation though.

2.68/5  rDev -28.2%

12oz bottle from Wilbur's in Ft. Collins. Around $3.

A: Aggressive pour yields about 1/4 of an inch of stark white head on top of a highly carbonated, slightly cloudy pale gold beer. Head retention is fair, a few chunks of lacing.

S: Smells kinda musty to me, some barley malt, champagne, honey, and a little bit of booze, doesn't exactly smell great, but not offensive either.

T: The champagne taste is carried over from the nose, along with a sweetness, probably from the honey, has a few spicy notes in there as well. I am not impressed with this at all. Boozey notes all over the place, mixed with some odd, not very beer like flavors.

M: Somewhat thick, but ridiculously carbonated, and dry, fair amount of alcohol heat.

D: No thanks, this will be a workout to get through this one. Just tastes like a mess to me, too many flavors, and none of them that I even like. A beer that someone who enjoys champagne would probably like, but I don't, and those flavors really put me off on this one. The flavors just don't work well together, the grape and barley just don't blend it doesn't taste that great at all.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not what I expected. I wanted to like this beer, but something just seemed off about it. I may have to give it another try at a later date, just to be fair.

2.69/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A= Pours almost a syrupy translucent orange color. Crystal clear with absolutely no head on it with no lacing... hmmm doesn't look like much carbonation either.
S= Sweet sugary malt and a kiss of saffron. Smells really really sweet.
T= Sugary sweet with a touch of saffron like I said from the odor. Sort of a bite on the back ends of my tongue. Interesting but I dunno about how good it is. Really sugary.
M= No carbonation at all. Heavy with a dry finish.
D= Not very high at all. I'll get sick of this after one I'm sure. I appreciate the effort and the history lesson but not for me.

2.7/5  rDev -27.6%

This was not one of my favorite beers the flavors just never melded correctly leaving some sensations overpowering and the rest bouncing off the walls like a bunch of ADD 6 year olds. Poured a extremly clear amber color. The clarity cannot be understated. There was a weak white head on top, but a fair bit of lacing here and there. Smell was overpoweringly alcoholic with huge notes of sweetness. I was already not looking forward to this. The taste was so cloying it made my mouth pucker, kinda like when you add waaay too much lemonade mix to a glass of water. I felt like I was a honey bee od'ing on sweetness. More alcohol that became rather raw further down the glass.

I respect Dogfish Head for making this beer and trying something completely different. However, somewhere from King Midas to the 21st century something much have been lost in the translation.

Bottled on 5/15/2009

A- Hazy, orange-ish hue with a small, quickly dissipating head.

S- The aroma was all malt and honey at first, but as it warmed I got some grape/wine-like aromas.

T- The taste was largely dry, bitter, and alcoholic for me. I didn't get much of the malt or honey that others have mentioned.

M- Pretty thin feeling, and pretty well carbonated, yet oily.

D- This is not really a beer for me at all. Way too dry. I really had to struggle to get through it with the alcohol presence and dryness.

2.7/5  rDev -27.6%

Actually pulled this brew for the wife, sounded interesting and up her ally (Beer meets White Wine). Was excited to try something billed as this unique.

A: Deep golden yellow with a thin head that soon becomes a thin, floating patch.

S: The smell is of honey with an herbal background.

T: Honey and barley malt. Maybe the grapes, that gives it an almost winey character and some balance, the saffron? Well, it's an unusual additive to beer. This has an unusual taste (as expected)... can't say I really love it though.

M: The feel is medium, with lingering sweetness and an alcohol sharpness.

D: Well, I was glad I gave this brew a chance but I have to say it greatly underperformed on all expectations. Wife hated it, which kind of ruined the purpose, and I was certainly no fan. Definetly not a brew I'll be revisiting or recommending.

2.7/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

6oz from a 12 oz into a snifter.
A- Golden, whisphy white head.
S- Fruity, a bit of red fruit, citrus, and melon
T- Tastes like a thick lager, a bit of mead flavor, strange aftertaste.
M- Medium body, crisp carbonation
O- Strange beer, wouldn't buy it again, nothing off or bad about it, just no real appeal.

2.7/5  rDev -27.6%

Had an opportunity to try a bottle of this at a family party (brother in law bought a 4 pack for $14 and offered me one). Yikes for him, but great for me -- so much for champagne taste and beer budget - literally! As you will see, this is the method I recommend for trying this -- don't pay for it!

A very well crafted, well structured beer, as you'd expect from Dogfish head. Nice deep golden/orange with a decent head to start. Fades to nothing, with little lacing. Pretty.

Smells like you'd expect. First hit is grape, then sweet malt, then spice/bee pollen elements. Smell goes right into taste. How do I put this?...a liquid version of golden raisin bread/toast. The grape is always there, almost Concord grape in flavor. Sweet, honeyed malt flavors, some buttery notes, and a bit of spice.

Flavors coat your mouth and stick with you. Moderate carbonation.

One is enough, maybe even too much.

Another consistently well made brew by these guys. No rough edges here, and they achieved exactly what they set out to do, unfortunately. This beer goes beyond beer snobbishness (something I admit to), right into the kingdom of the beer nerd. All palates are different, as is a level of openmindedness, but this is more about conversation and image than taste here. I can't imagine someone enjoying his, period. Overly sweet. Too damn much grape. I cannot think of what I'd want to eat with this (maybe middle-eastern fare, rice and currant dishes?), or even imagine sitting down with a snifter and sipping this. As I said in the beginning, absolutely be adventurous and try it, mooch one if you can, but do not buy this.

2.71/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

It looks like an ordinary lager, or even a pilsner--translucent throughout--a light, straw-colored ensemble with a brownish tint. A thin layer of carbonation never approaches foamy status. The dark tint provides some allure, but this is among the most common-looking DFH brews I've encountered.

I smell grapes and honey. It's like a sweet wine, slightly more grapes on the nose than honey. I wonder if it's the saffron that plays a hop-like balancing act. I can't say I detect barley with wafts, but I venture to guess that it provides the brown amid the honey yellow. Still, it smells more like a wine than a beer. I love how this brewery pushes the boundaries but, so far, I remain skeptical.

A nicely carbonated honey note followed by acidic, soury grape juice. Sweet honey certinaly pervades the palate. The white grapes juxtaposed against the honey make for an odd, uneven taste. It's like every sip tastes the same, but each part of my mouth senses something different about the beverage. I honestly can't decide if I like it. The sour presence diminishes appeal, despite the tingle of warm, carbonated honey. It's iike it's neat to see what the ancients enjoyed, but it's difficult for this one to compete with the peers of its day. I hate to be a hop monger, especially when experiencing an ancient-type herbal/spicy beer, but the white grapes need more substantive stand-up to sour. The sweetness suffices, but the saffron seems insufficient.

There's enough of a sweet honey smack to achieve a good mouthfeel. The sour is oddly more a taste on the tongue, while the sweetness is a sense on the cheeks and teeth. The carbonation seems right-on. Though "old" and "extreme" seldom go together, this recipe fits the bill. It's ancient and hopless, but one hell of an interesting concoction. Though this one is a relative disappointment by most ratings, the moutfeel, at least, is cool.

A drinkable beer has to taste better; it is, nevertheless, a beverage worth sampling.

2.71/5  rDev -27.3%

Shared 750ml bottle with fellow ba mtanji. poured a hazy amber color with almost no head. There was absolutely no smell. The taste pretty much mathced the smell because there was no taste either. Mouthfeel was of alcohol. I wonder if this bottle went bad

2.72/5  rDev -27.1%

Pours the color of a sunset with a small short-lived thin fizzy head. Lots of carbonation bubbles.
Smell is of alcohol and spice. Maybe some clove.
Woa! I can say that I have not had a beer like this and I can also say that I don't like this beer. Taste is buttery, bitter, medicinal, and metallic.
Mouthfeel is fair. Crisp. And I wouldn't consider this a drinkable beer.
I'm not saying that this is a bad beer. It's simply not my thing and maybe my palate is not adventurous enough to fully enjoy the Midas Touch.

2.72/5  rDev -27.1%

A-half finger quickly disappears but suds have legs like wine.  Golden butterscotch color.
S-fruit forward with hint of honey.
T-definite barley flavors...not as sweet as it smells.  Very wine like and lacks balance.
M-almost like a flat Proseco...slightly fizzy.
D-decent for the ABV but prefer a good white wine.
O-interesting beer that doesn't live up to the Dogfish stable of beers...give them props for trying something different.
O-C-

2.72/5  rDev -27.1%

A - Pours a nice honey golden color with a finger of off white head that leaves a nice lacing as consumed

S - Smells sweet of saffron and white muscadine wine. Almost a sour smell, which I like

T - Too much going on, tastes like white floral wine initially sweet but dry and more bland at the finish, especially considering the nose

M - Medium bodied, ok carbonation but the dryness makes the mouthfeel less than desirable

O - My girlfriend loves it, I don't. The best thing about this beer is that it weighs in at 9% and its very easy to drink, dryness aside

2.73/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bought this on a whim as my wife was rushing me and I walked by the singles and grabbed it. $4 a bottle must be good right, ancient beer, who can go wrong. Well this beer did, if that's what you call it. The look was good but once on the nose I was a little disappointed. Then the taste, whoa. WTF, way busy taste of wine, honey and, like paste you ate in kindergarten. I've only poured a few beers out and was temped to pour this in the garden but was able to power through it as I didn't want the ants to enjoy this sweet $4 treat.

I only give it this score because i did drink it but glad I have an DIPA to wash this taste away quickly

2.73/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - Hazy golden orange with visible particulates. Medium head that is slow to form and quick to disappear.

Smell - Not very beer like. It smells a lot like a Reisling and not at all like a beer. Probably the muscat grapes. It smells like alcohol, but in a vinous way.

Taste - Bizarre is the first word that comes to mind. Initially it has a winy Reisling taste that is joined quickly by powerful honey flavor. It has the barley aftertaste I'd expect from a decent lager mixed with a strong honey flavor. All of the alcohol taste is meshed with the wine flavor. Very strange, but nice. I imagine this is what it would taste like to pour honey in Reisling and then wash it down with a light lager. The flavor is good but it gets old quickly. Long after you sip, the honey taste stays on your tongue lulling you back for another sip of the peculiar brew.

Mouthfeel - Thin and frothy. Not drying per se, but I wouldn't use the word "refreshing."

Drinkability - Ugh. After five sips I don't really want anymore. Granted if I wait two minutes the honey lingering on my tonuge make me sip again. I guess it might go with some food, but it's strange flavor would detract from whatever you are eating. I would like to taste it it again I suppose, but I would probably share with friends. It is difficult to drink even 12 oz of, but the curious flavor makes it worth a try, just expect the unexpected.

This "beer" is difficult to rate because it is so strange. Dogfish Head continues too impress me with their creativity though. Shame I can't make it to Bocce.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery