Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,592 | Hads: 4,497
3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Everything I came in contact with turned to gold with this one on 4/21/2005. 12-oz. tulip pour at the Sunset.

Very pretty knife’s edge of q/2-inch pillow of carbonation, and hypoallergenic tight. Huge gold hue, crystal clear and utterly mute on the eye. Honey, saffron, white pepper, and vanilla all conspire on the nose to make a complex bouquet. Real sweet on the mouth with clover honey, sarsaparilla, some kind of licorice flavor and almost some sort of rhizome floating about in there. Light body.

Tasty, and would never know that it packs the punch that it does; always enjoyed the 750s of it. (606 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -27.2%

Shared 750ml bottle with fellow ba mtanji. poured a hazy amber color with almost no head. There was absolutely no smell. The taste pretty much mathced the smell because there was no taste either. Mouthfeel was of alcohol. I wonder if this bottle went bad (254 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%

A one finger frothy head sits atop a clear golden honey colored beer. Few streams of carbonation were seen. Aromas detected started with honey, fruit, grapes, spice and a slight sourness. The taste was a complex mixture of malt and spice, wine and candy. A mouthful ends with a nice honey coating on the mouth. Very smooth beer here. A great session beer, but too rich to drink one after another, in my opinion. (411 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%

This is a very, very funky beer, but I'm rather used to that sort of thing from Dogfish.

This peer poured a crystal-clear orangish yellow, a bit more, umm, lumiscent than most beers (the saffron?). The aroma is very much like a bock, with some sweet honey notes, with just a hint of grape around the edge giving it a fruit note. The taste is very sweet and meadish, but with the muscat grape having a fairly strong presence (in a good way, unlike, say, Corcorde's Concord Grape Ale), with a dry mouthfeel. It's a fairly pleasant beer, but with a funky enough taste that it's a bit low on the drinkability scale (i.e. one of these is plenty, it'll be awhile before I finish the 4-pack). (688 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -4.8%

This is a strange, wild, intriguing beer. It sort of reminds me of a cross between a sweet mead and a bock. The beer pours a cloudy, hazy orange color with a soda-pop head. The aroma is distinctly honey-like, with a strong alcohol background. Also mingling in the smell are fruit and spices…apple, grape, pepper, sugar. The taste is intensely sweet, with a serious honey quality. It’s a relatively heavy brew, and I don’t think that I’d be able to have too many. It’s interesting, and worth a try….It’s actually pretty good for what it is, but this one’s not something I’d seek out. (591 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%

At first this bottle poured vigorously carbonated.. but as soon as it was complete poured, it fell almost flat.. there are tiny bubbles running up the side of the glass that can only be seen on a closer inspection. A bare minimum ring of suds around the glass.
[I have to wonder if there is an issue with the bottling itself here.]

Now, with all that scrutiny out of the way, I think we have a winner here in the style of winter warmers and big ales. It smells, well.. good.. for lack of a better word.With a malty, honeyish nose, but I'm not getting alot of spiciness. The white muscat grapes are very full in the aroma, preparing you for the clean taste ahead. The nose keeps calling you back!

The taste is clean, with some degree of astringence. I get the barley, the honey, the white grapes.. but saffron? I'm no expert on the stuff, so it may well be there right under my nose. It's also possible that the malt is masking the saffron.

As the ale warms, a pleasant but heavy winey, honey aroma comes out, making this ale very much appropriate for cold winter nights (and a grand addition to weekend brunchs it would be!)

CHEERS! (1,145 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +8.1%

A chilled 12 oz bottle from a 4 pack label notched Jan. (no year) from Corral Liquors. The color is a pale, slightly hazed orange. The aromas of honey, grape skins, tart sweet white grapes and alcohol spiciness (saffron?). The head dissipated very quickly with some patchy lace. The carbonation is low. Strong nearly astringant alcohol warming on the swallow. This beer merges with wine in its characteristics. Like a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor that cuts beer from wine DFH's sweet Midas crawls, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and survives as a beer. Very little hop or malt flavors present. Super sweet, sugary, honey flavor with roasted earthy grains in the background. Buttery from an high diacetyl but tollerable with the sweetness provided by the grapes. Hops provide a nearly herbal spice - corriander and citrus. The aftertaste is dry, tart, and crisp. A moderate-to-full body with 9% abv, but drinkable if you like sweet liquids. Suggest you try one from tap or just a single bottle. Many reviewers have asked to have the curse of the Midas touch removed finding it too overwhelming. (1,133 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz. bottle. Packaged on notch for the date was ambiguously notched at best, maybe a 1?

Poured a hazy light copper with an almost pinkish-peach tint. No head to speak of.

My first impression was of honey and port wine. Although I didn't read anything about oak aging, the beer did seem to have some oak tannin vibes going. Mezcal?

Alcohol is very noticable and stays with you the entire beer. Buttery almost to a fault, massive diacetyl. Honey lets itself be known. Both slick and sticky on the palate. Strong spicy bite from the alcohol.

Probably the closest thing I've had to a mead. I didn't really notice to much in the way of grapes, but this beer seemed busy enough as is. Interesting, glad I tried it, but not one I'll look for. (750 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%

Finally picked one of these up at Downtown in Somerville.
Pours a golden orange...w/ plenty of light able to pass thru this brew. Just shy of a full finger of off-white head...nice lace...surprisingly attractive.
Not much aroma at first, but as it warms up a bit, you can smell the sweet honey and spice...w/ just a hint of alcohol.
Taste is a flavorful one, but I can tell this is not my type of beer. I'd apprecaite it much more on tap...it is wickedly sweet and it is quite awkward the way the texture splits itself in my mouth. The sweetness grabs the back of my throat, but the carbonated alcohol stays put...lingering for a bit too long.
For me, drinkability is low, but I am not a huge fan of spiced beers...I am glad I gave it a try and would try it again if I found it on tap. (789 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

This is my first experience with the Midas Touch although I've know about it and looked forward to it for quite some time. I must be honost, I expect to not like it because of what it's meant to be.

The color is very nice, a very rich honey appearance that sprouted a light, bubbly head that faded to a circle around edge. Slightly cloudy. The aroma is less sweet than I was anticipating. The flavor is kind of earthy with subtle fruit notes. I find this beer to be very much drinkable although not a session beer. Very unique and definetly worth a try. Yet another big beer from DFH. (588 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one poured a light copper color with a small off white head that fell to a ring around the glass. Smells like bread and honey, a good combination. The distince flavor of honey and alcohol at the start, then a nice malty near the end, and finally a bit of hop bite to cap it off. The mouthfeel is pretty decent, with good carbonation and smooth feel. This beer is fairly drinkable. I would enjoy drinking this one again. (424 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

Definately a strange brew filled with flavors.
The appearance is a very beautiful hazy copper with a very thin head. The aroma is pleasant and has a strong rotting fruit backbone. I can also smell the phenols with a belgian touch. The taste is strange, but enjoyable. There is a sour start, followed by a candied sugar taste. The honey really shines at the end of the sip. The only bad thing about this beer was the burning sensation left on my tongue. It almost felt raw after a few sips. Either way, I can't let that deter me from saying this is one interesting beer that everyone should try to experience. I don't know if I would be buying this by the bottle in the future, but I would like to try it on tap. (713 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +23.1%

Described as ancient ale with barley, honey, muscat grapes, and saffron. Nice description and it tastes every bit like each of these flavors save the barley which is not noticeable. This is why the high scores. I'm tempted to give it all 5's cuz its so crazy unique and appropriate for the description on the bottle. I cannot however--so here is the non-rant review-- I should say --It is Hrathgar's mead though :-()>

A-Red wine vinegar with a 1/2 shot of cognac thrown in is the color. Carbonation probably didn't exist in ancient times. There is none here. No lace either but I doubt an ancient ale should have any.

S-Bready herbal honey smell--some woodiness present too. Is this the Saffron ?

T-Perfect for how it describes itself. DFH does everything well. They are up there on my list anyway. Specifics tastewise:all flavas are present-grapes are the weakest and honey is the strongest. Not like honey in a hefeweiss beer but honey on a piece of buttered toast.

MF-smooth honey-felty-suede- like mouthfeel. Pretty much perfect.

D-only problem here. High ABV and not a style where you want more than one. (1,129 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

at 1st taste I thoght I wasted 13.00 for this 4 pack and as the beer warmed we got to be friends. poured golden amber with no head. aroma honey, grapes alcohol, white wine, fruity. flavor honey, fruity, alcohol very strong, had to check bottle to make sure I was drinking beer and not wine this would go well with stir fry chicken. as it warmed the flavors blended nicely. (372 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -14.5%

12oz bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $4.05. Dated September, though no year is provided (I really wish DFH would start putting the year on their bottles).

Poured a hazy orange color, with a very small off-white head (after a vigorous pour). Not much lace to speak of.

Smell is slightly sweet the honey), slightly sour and winey (the muscat grapes), and very slightly spicy (presumably the saffron). It's all very mild smelling, bordering on bland.

Taste is much like the smell: only very mildly interesting. The honey flavor seems most dominant, with the white muscats providing a sourness to balance and not much else. Somewhere in the middle is a very slight spiciness. The finish is mildly dry.Not bad tasting, but not too memorable either. There's also an alcohol taste that gets more noticeable as the beer warms up.

This is a little bit heavier than one would suspect. I don't know if it is because of the honey or what, but based upon the flavor, I would have expected it to be more light bodied.

Not a bad beer to sip, but not particularly compelling either. At 9%abv, I don't think it would make a particularly good session brew. (1,171 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: When poured into a tulip glass, this beer yields an off white head of 2" that has very good retention and finally settles to a thin lace upon the surface of the beer. The body is a pale golden color with a slight hue of amber.

Smell: This has a full nose of quite a few scents. Honey is the foremost, with some medicinal phenolic scents towards its end. I think subconciously I can also detect the white muscat grapes they list as ingredients. I will admit detecting a wine like aroma when inhaling deeply. Sort of like the sting of a cheap unoaked Chardonnay.

Taste: Different than other ales, this has a taste all its own. It has a decadent character that melds the astringency of white wine with the dryness and alcohol of say a Strong Pale Ale, which is then further complexed by the other obscure ingredients. The honey lends a strong sweetness, the saffron (which though potent, can't be practical) seems to hide below, only lending the slightest of its flavor. There's no denying the effect the white muscat grapes have on this. It's really unique, and I find it interesting to speculate on the 'recipe' it follows of a primitive beer-wine found in Egypt in the time of the Pharoahs. As always, DFH is different.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy or cloying, though is is rich and the alcohol (9%) is apparent. Very wine like, while retaining the distinct identity of a beer.

Drinkability: It's interesting enough to keep taking sips of as one decides what it is exactly that is being tasted. I couldn't imagine drinking a six pack, or even a four pack as DFH packages them. It's an interesting beer, or something close to beer. I'd reccommend everyone try one, so they can reference other obscure styles by it (gruit seems rather similar). (1,762 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -40.3%

I found this at One Stop Liquors in Johnson City, Tennessee, and had it shipped to Moscow via air freight. Arrived none the worse for wear, so I eagerly popped the cap on 11/29/04. The neck label features a thumb print, while the main label is quite plain, simply identifying this as an ancient ale made of barley, honey, muscat grapes and safron. Hmm...

Pours pale orange (shouldn't something named Midas be gold, at least?) under a very thin 1/3 finger off white head that fizzles as quickly as it forms. Purely from the appearance, it reminds me of some pretty bad Russian beers of the Zhigulovskoye line. The nose is, well, distinctive: grape and malt, with a touch of spice (I assume that's the safron) and slightly sour. These are not good images here. The mouth is very prickly and quite thick/heavy, presumably from the fruit juice. Taste? Oh my. Grapes and safron are definitely noticeable, sweet and sour, almost like grape juice on drugs. There's definitely malt here, and even a dash of coniferous hops that lends a dry bit element to the finish, but this tastes and feels much more like a mead than a beer. Not a very good mead either. Glad I got just one, as I couldn't bring myself to finish even that much. (1,225 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +21.5%

I was very much looking forward to this Dogfish offering, many good things I have heard. It poured with a big inconsistent head that was quick to dissipate and a beautiful amber body. The honey malt aroma is enticing to say the least. The mouthfeel is wonderfully smooth and seductive, leaves you yearning. The honey and saffron walz together on the palate in perfect fashion. From the mouthfeel to the finish is magnificent. A grape wine-like flavor kicks in while the taste buds continue to be pulled in several different directions. Absolutely a winner, what a beer! (569 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz. bottle, packaged in month 6 according to the notch. Pours a slighlty hazy orange, with a white thick head. The head disappeared almost immediately. Some tiny bubbles still coming from the bottom of the glass. Not much lace. Smells like a white wine. Grapes, slight spicy and earthy smell. Very sweet up front from the honey. As it warms, a bit more of the spicy flavors come out. Very thick on the palate, but fairly low carbonation. Not much bitterness here, mostly honey sweetness. An interesting experiment. Not something to have all of the time. Suffers in drinkability. Still, worht a try. (601 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

I picked up a single of the Midas Touch this evening. I had it out of a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a goblet. October was notched off on the label for a freshness date, but I couldn't find a year.

Unique aroma of grapes and sweet honey. I smelled some saffron and then smelled this beer. No question the saffron is a prominent feature in the scent of this brew.

Appearance is a cloudy orange color. Spotted sticky lacings on the sides of the glass.

Taste is nicely complex. Sparkling white grape juice with saffron and Sue-Bee honey flavors. Alcohol warmth is somewhere in between. Herbs and spices blend well in this creative beer.

Very drinkable at a respectable 9.0% ABV. Another winner from Dogfish Head. (728 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

My first Dogfish Head brew and it surely surprised me. The concept alone is enough to keep me entertained. I'm starting to love these "experimental" brews.

Pours a nice golden color with a head that barely hangs around to say hello. Aroma is immdiately interesting. Strong honey aroma but i also detect a lot of that grape fruitiness with some faint spice sneaking up from behind. Taste is a marvel. A lot of grape flavor mixed with a bit of honey which is all backed up by a warm alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. I can only drink 1 bottle of this a night but I have a feeling I'll be coming back often as i always try to pick up a 4 pack when I head down to Jungle Jim's in Cincy. (695 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours hazy medium amber with very minute head that swirls around like a little galaxy in your goblet (if you're using a goblet). Immediately, the intense smells of honey and spice emanate from the brew. Very nice and sweet! Taste did not match the smell. Even still, mainly honey and grapes are maintained in the taste along with some spice (I assume is saffron from the label). It is very sweet for a beer, seems a bit meadish to me (which I greatly enjoy). Mouthfeel is very nice, creamy, and consistent. A pleasure to drink. But, I could barely finish one, let alone have another. It's a bit too intense for just slugging down a few. (636 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: A quickly eroding head that leaves little remnants of lacing around the maple colored substance.

Smell: Notable honey and ester tones followed by alcohol.

Taste: Wow is this beer complex. Honey and fruit followed by syrupy alcohol tingling.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The carbonation helps diffuse the syrupy feel increasing the beers drinkability. This beers honey syrup notes mimic the characteristics of a Barleywine’s malt character. (459 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

The beer pours a clear golden color with about a finger and a half of head that drops quickly to cover the beer with a nice ring around the top. I can really smell the honey and the grape in the nose, sweet from the honey and spicy from the grape. There is definately more of a honey flavor that I expected from the nose. It overpowers the grape easily, leaving me wanting a bit more. As I let the beer warm, the honey falls to the back and the spicy grape comes through more. Much better. The beer is nice and thick in my mouth, but the honey is again what dominates the mouthfeel. I'm just not that crazy about this much honey outside of a mead. I don't think I would want to have a full big bottle of this or a full 4 pack. I'm glad I went with the single 12oz-er. I think this is a beer worth trying once, but much more than that is probably overkill. (855 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a hazy copper-gold, topped with a three finger rocky off-white head, leaves webs of lacing.
Fruity grape and honey aroma. Floral note, but really strong wine-like grapes mostly. It smells a lot better than it tastes. Fruit flower blossoms, like an apple tree.
Fruity grape and honey taste, very sweet, gets cloying, peppery alcohol bite. Honey comes on stronger with warming.
Medium bodied. Weird but interesting for awhile, nice to try but I wouldn't get it again. (474 characters)

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery