Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,590 | Hads: 4,494
2.46/5  rDev -33.9%

Not a big fan of the sweetness. I love Dogfish and I was excited about the line of "ancient" beers. Not my thing with the honey but it was pleasing to the eye and had a nice aroma. (180 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours light orange/yellow with thin, quickly dissipating head.

S: Yeast with...something else.

T: Dry with light to moderate honey that blends well with the grapes. Very pleasant.

F: Dry, light. Dry.

O: Great flavor that surprised me. A super mix of subtle flavors. And I love the dryness. (300 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -16.4%

A - hazy light orange color with foamy head
S - a lot of grape
T - Nice taste of purple grapes & wheat. The grape stays through but a bit of nasty cheap beer taste hovers in the background
M - smooth with a tiney bit of carbonation
O - Nice - not for every day but good taste but sometimes the funky cheap lager taste surfaces (328 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: golden hazy peach color

S: wine, grapes. I'm not a huge wine nut, but it smells like a sweet Riesling.

T: Never had a herbed beer quite like this. Tastes of white grape juice, saffron. A bit like a Riesling honestly...less sweet.

F: soft drink carbonation. Again nothing to compare it to, but I can't complain.

O: tasty first Beer that's sweet but dissent overdue it. Great Beer/wine feel. (398 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Described as an "ancient" ale, it pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a head that foams up nicely, but retreats quickly. The nose is complex with honey, bananas, muscat grapes. The hop character is very subdued if present at all. The flavor is very sweet but in a good way, like in a Belgian-style. Again, there is good flavor of honey. It is full bodied with a nice alcohol heat that is equal to the carbonation and cream. I had one of these in my wine cellar for about 11 months after purchase and it was just as good as the first one I ever opened. (555 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%

I've been on a DFH kick and just started to try them all.

A - Bright golden color. Thin white head with coarse bubbles. Quite hazy almost looked like a hefe.

S - Very interesting it has a sweet honey like character with some maltiness. No hops to be found but has some alcohol kick and resembled a floral wine.

T - Has a honey sweetness up front with a more savory malt character and a fruity, floral character in the middle with a slight alcohol finish. It tastes like a sweet mead mixed with a Belgian blond or triple. It's pretty complex beer but it is on the sweet side. It is mostly crisp with a malt character and some alcohol but no bitterness.

M - Medium mouth-feel. Light carbonation. For being so sweet and higher in alcohol it does drink pretty well. I couldn't drink it often but it isn't too cloying or bity.

Overall, a pretty good beer. I stick with my first thought though of just a mixture of mead and beer which isn't a bad thing but is not exactly what I was expecting. All of the "honey" beers I've had in the past really just have a little more residual sweetness and a thinner body but this one definitely has that honey flavor which is a nice touch. Not my favorite DFH offering but if you have tried all their others probably worth a shot.

Glass- Perfect Pint (1,288 characters)

A - Pours a rich honey gold, form a white one finger head that quickly and entirely dissipates. No lacing.
S - Smell is quite misleading, smells sweet and metallic.
T - Sweet hops upfront followed by a mild warm honey with white grape at the end. Quite unique.
O - An interesting beer, couldn't drink everyday or very often for that matter, but worth a shot to see what it's like.
V - I gave the lowest rating because this stuff is over 14 dollars for a 4 pack locally. (473 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure where I go these, but have a 4 pack, presumably picked up locally but possibly a gift from a traveling friend or family? Enjoyed for an ancient ales chalice.

a - brew pours a murky, unfiltered with lots o floaties, yellow orange. A thin head was gone quick leaving some oily patches of bubbles on the surface.

s - nose is grainy, fairly pilsner like. Malt, barley, little honey and a hint of white wine.

t/m/o - the first thing that jumps out at me is the feel, fairly full bodied...but smooth. Finish is kind of macro grainy and a bit off putting. The flavor is similar, very grainy and malty. The white wine grape is the only real redeeming quality of the beer, kind of like a imperial adjunct lager...with some white wine and honey hints. Not bad but not great either, but good enough. While I find the concept of ancient ales to be an interesting science experiment, my overall feeling is that if these beer recipes didn't survive time, there might be a reason. Definitely one for the tickers and potential crossover beer for the macro fans. (1,059 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -28%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not what I expected. I wanted to like this beer, but something just seemed off about it. I may have to give it another try at a later date, just to be fair. (158 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Light golden in colour, very clear with a slight white head, has good film and lacing though.

S- quite grapey, with also some candied notes, hard to place exactly, mix of cotton candy and boozey plums, lemon candies, some clean acidity, reminds me of overly sweet fruit candies, jujubes maybe.

T- similar flavours, but more nuanced and more depth, oaky grapes and vanilla honey, lime citrus, honey and deeper floral tones, spice is upfront and blends with the honey. There really are a hundred things going on at once here, and that can be a bit overwhelming, but the underlying honey sweetness drives through a consistant feel to the finish, which is lingering with plum notes and some spice.

M- big body but the alcohol really only adds to the body as this is a really pleasant beer that blends the sweetness with some acidity, I think some of the overly sweet notes persist but overall the balance is. Pretty solid.

Very out there, seems almost a split personality in mixing a melange of strong flavoured ingredients and also creating a beer with a broad appeal. I did really enjoy the skill that went into crafting this, given that ingrediant list I doubt I could replicate something with this complexity and nuance, for that I will forgive some of the critiques and say this was a beer I was certainly glad to try. (1,330 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: nice lacing and head retention with a clean white head. Opaque orange color.

Nose: Floral, sours, honey, jasmine.

Taste: Like a fruity hefeweizen with floral notes and honey.

Notes: This is simply an awesome classic. (236 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

The label tells you it includes honey, and the honey is what makes this so smooth. If it weren't for all the other ingredients that remind you you're drinking beer and NOT honey, you'd think you were guzzling from one of those plastic bears. The sweetness is kept in check by the saffron and other fun stuff included and I would drink this beer every day for a long time if I could. (382 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - This beer looks like your typical golden, clear brew, with a short white head that fades quickly, leaving a ring of white. A little lacing, but not much.

S - The nose on this is unique. Floral elements are front and center. As it warms, a slight sour element comes forward. Honey and jasmine. Subtle spices of an indefinite nature.

T - Following on the nose, we have sour grape notes, honeyed sweetness. Floral notes, like candied petals. A line of grains and bread comes in near the end, the first flavor to suggest beer to me. Delicious, there is an aspect that suggests hefeweizen, with fruit and yeast elements, but we are in different territory nevertheless.

M - The only place where I think this beer is not hitting on all cylinders, there is a slightly waxy feel that rests on the top of the roof of my mouth after I swallow. There is moderate carbonation to scrub most of it away, but not all of it.

O - An interesting flavor profile, delicious, highly unusual. At 9%, this delivers the hammer, but the alcohol remains largely hidden. It reminds me of ciders and, yes, wine, in its flavor profile, but the close is all about grains and beer flavors. Not something I'd grab often, but something I might share with my wine drinking friends to illustrate the range of what a beer can be. (1,312 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beige/light golden and translucent color. A thin head quickly dissapates into a thin lace that retains well that is frothy and bubbles after each sip.
Aroma is fruity and grape like. Also, honey and spices.
Taste is pretty much connected with the aroma. Mostly fruity/grapey sweet with a slightly dry and wine like finish. Instead of hops, the sweetness is tempered by the spice.
Feel is wine like, with a moderate to low carbonation that really stings the tongue when first served.
Overall, I like this beer in that like many of DFH's other products, it is unique and challenges conventional beer. As others have commented, I wouldn't drink it everyday, but would certainly buy again and have on occasion. Would be great with a meal. (743 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

I am more of a stout/porter guy so I'll get straight to the point. You will like this, most everyone you offer it to will like this. It's a bit pricey which is preventing me from giving it any higher. But a great beer all around. Heard others bring comparisons to Bell's Venus, this IMO trumps it easily. (304 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a New Belgium globe

A: Pours slightly hazy golden yellow with a creamy egg shell white head that fades but laces fairly well.

S: Grape comes through first, a bit like a white wine, a light spice note, maybe a touch of funk, some honey, and a bit of malt sweetness.

T: Lightly tart up front with some of the grape coming through, followed a little spice that really comes out as it warms, some malt sweetness, then a big hit of honey. Hides it's alcohol well, maybe a faint note on the finish.

M: Medium body, quite smooth, with lighter carbonation.

O: Very cool brew, glad I got to try it, though not something I'd buy on a regular basis. (665 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Date: 9/4/2014
Other notes: Bottled 12/30/13. Just picked it up at the store a few days ago. So it's likely been sitting on the shelf at room temperature for several months.

Appearance - 4.25/5
Pours a remarkably clear golden-orange. No head. Can see lots of large carbonation bubbles slowing to the top at a much slower than typical speed. Overall, I love the clearness and color of this beer. I wish there was more head, but when you're making an ancient 2700 year old ale, the point is to experience the drink as it actually was, not how I want it to be.

Smell - 4/5
Sweet maltiness, a strong grape presence which I assume adds to the sweetness of the smell. There are some spices as well. Maybe a tiny bit of alcohol smell, but at 9%, that's not usual.

Taste - 3.5/5
The taste is hard to describe, likely because I am not used to the ingrediants (or my palate is just unrefined). A strong grape presence, but perhaps with a more wine like character. If I remember correctly, the taste is somewhat similar to DFH's Noble Rot, which is also made with grapes. It's very sweet, perhaps a little too much for my liking. Overall the taste includes sweet maltiness, grapes, perhaps a little honey. Overall, an interesting beer, but don't think I'm a gigantic fan of the taste.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
The beer is light to medium in body and is very crisp. The carbonation is fairly light, but kicks in a little more near the end of the sip (or if you move it around in your mouth). Overall, very smooth, I liked the feel of this beer.

Overall - 4/5
While this is not a beer I would want to drink all the time, I could see this being something to drink occasionally, when perhaps you are looking for something sweet and with a little bit more of a wine character. I am giving the rating a slight bump simply because I love the idea of the 'Ancient Ale' series, and I love the fact that this recipe is 2700 years old.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20% (1,986 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, golden with a short white head that dissipates leaving some lacing, clear

S: slight grain and spice, quite sweet

T: sweet up front with dark fruit flavors, prune, honey, fig

M: medium with low carbonation

O: unique look and taste (282 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

Slightly orangish-yellow. Quite hazy. Thin head.

Aroma of light pale malts, a little spice.

Taste is complex - a grapefruit-like sourness and rich pale malt An undefined but strong herbiness. Spice. Alcohol.

Different and interesting. But doesn't really ring my bell. (276 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

12 oz Bottle poured into a 20 Firestone glass.Poured a golden color with one inch head.Smell is very sweet with a hint of grapefruit.Taste remained me of the time I drank mead.Very sweet.Once again this is one of those times where i can`t recommend this to a beer drinker because it`s more like a mead.It`s just to sweet for me.I have loved all the other Dogfish Head beers I have drank before but this one was not up to there standards.Motley out. (448 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Golden colored with excellent clarity. A fingernail of white foam covers most of the top. I detect the muscat grapes and the honey in the aroma. The saffron gives it a slightly herbal edge. The flavor is initially favored by the honey and barley,but the back of the palate is initially the muscat grapes and then the saffron really heads to the forefront and it finishes with the strong herbal kick. The mouth is moderately carbonated and the honey lends dryness. (467 characters)

12 ounce bottle poured into Belgian style stemmed beer glass.
A: Pours a light golden hue, with a thin white head that soon dissipates, but little bubbles of carbonation still trail up where the dimple of the stem meets the bottom of the glass.
S: Subtle smells of honey and grapes--very fruity with a mild floral notes.
T: My first thought upon tasting this was, "Wow, this tastes a lot like mead," and then I got the white muscat grapes and saffron. The honey is definitely the dominant flavor, in my opinion. That being said, it tastes very balanced. I have no idea how ancient beer is supposed to taste, but I imagine this is pretty close.
M: Very smooth and light, as the mild carbonation gives the impression that they were really going for the ancient beer feel (back then the only carbonation came from fermentation).
O: I was very intrigued by this beer, and wanted to buy it for a long time, but found myself complacent with more contemporary beer styles, and seeing as this beer is near 14 bucks for a 4 pack I found it hard to justify the purchase. However, I am glad I purchased this beer, because it really feels like a timemachine in glass. It is hard to rate this beer, because considering the template they used to make it is archaic I don't really have a viable frame of reference. I saw other reviews lamenting about how it didn't meet their expectations, and how they would rather drink an IPA, but such a comment sounds ill-founded to me. In all honesty, this beer is simply a tribute to the history of beer, and if you can't appreciate it as that, and would rather judge it with a contemporary and biased perspective, then this beer obviously isn't for you. If you want to taste the diversity Dogfishhead has to offer, and their love for the craft and its history, then this beer is definitely for you. (1,830 characters)

From notes on 12/10/13

Pours an interesting pink color. No head. Carbonated more like a white wine. Interesting smell. Is much more reminiscent of a wine than beer. Little bit musty. Well, it doesn't really taste like wine. Very fruity, along with the sweetness of honey. Tastes more like a beer than wine. The mouth feel though, is again like wine. Most interesting "beer" I've had in a long time. Although I don’t think this is actually classified as a beer. Definitely never had anything like it before. (509 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from bottle to glass with very little and fine head. A rich, golden color, with very good clarity. This does not look or taste like a 2700 year old recipe at all. It's a bold, beautiful beer with hint of malt and white grape aroma and sweet honey taste. Dogfish head use a wonderful yeast that I have come to associate with a series of wonderful beers over the years and the Midas is no exception. Thanks to my friend who found this beer at a beer store and picked it up for me. (485 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Similar to a Japanese, but a deeper, fuller gold. Its a fairly clear color.
S: Smells like white grape juice and alcohol. It smells similar to white wine with less acidity.
T: Saffron, Barley and a slight alcohol base. The grape must really comes through brilliantly in this beer as it isn't too overpowering but adds a light fruity tone, similar to champagne.
M: Not super carbonated,but enough to make my mouth sting a bit. It isn't the most full beer, so it's safe to say it's a quite delicate beer.
O: An excellent beer that often gets overlooked as it isn't a hop filled or deep and dark full concoction. If you appreciate beer and have an open mind, this beer will fulfill your wants. A definite purchase for the occasional glass at $12.99 a 4 pack. (758 characters)

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery