Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,603 | Hads: 4,573
4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

The label tells you it includes honey, and the honey is what makes this so smooth. If it weren't for all the other ingredients that remind you you're drinking beer and NOT honey, you'd think you were guzzling from one of those plastic bears. The sweetness is kept in check by the saffron and other fun stuff included and I would drink this beer every day for a long time if I could.

4.26/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - This beer looks like your typical golden, clear brew, with a short white head that fades quickly, leaving a ring of white. A little lacing, but not much.

S - The nose on this is unique. Floral elements are front and center. As it warms, a slight sour element comes forward. Honey and jasmine. Subtle spices of an indefinite nature.

T - Following on the nose, we have sour grape notes, honeyed sweetness. Floral notes, like candied petals. A line of grains and bread comes in near the end, the first flavor to suggest beer to me. Delicious, there is an aspect that suggests hefeweizen, with fruit and yeast elements, but we are in different territory nevertheless.

M - The only place where I think this beer is not hitting on all cylinders, there is a slightly waxy feel that rests on the top of the roof of my mouth after I swallow. There is moderate carbonation to scrub most of it away, but not all of it.

O - An interesting flavor profile, delicious, highly unusual. At 9%, this delivers the hammer, but the alcohol remains largely hidden. It reminds me of ciders and, yes, wine, in its flavor profile, but the close is all about grains and beer flavors. Not something I'd grab often, but something I might share with my wine drinking friends to illustrate the range of what a beer can be.

4.24/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beige/light golden and translucent color. A thin head quickly dissapates into a thin lace that retains well that is frothy and bubbles after each sip.
Aroma is fruity and grape like. Also, honey and spices.
Taste is pretty much connected with the aroma. Mostly fruity/grapey sweet with a slightly dry and wine like finish. Instead of hops, the sweetness is tempered by the spice.
Feel is wine like, with a moderate to low carbonation that really stings the tongue when first served.
Overall, I like this beer in that like many of DFH's other products, it is unique and challenges conventional beer. As others have commented, I wouldn't drink it everyday, but would certainly buy again and have on occasion. Would be great with a meal.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

I am more of a stout/porter guy so I'll get straight to the point. You will like this, most everyone you offer it to will like this. It's a bit pricey which is preventing me from giving it any higher. But a great beer all around. Heard others bring comparisons to Bell's Venus, this IMO trumps it easily.

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a New Belgium globe

A: Pours slightly hazy golden yellow with a creamy egg shell white head that fades but laces fairly well.

S: Grape comes through first, a bit like a white wine, a light spice note, maybe a touch of funk, some honey, and a bit of malt sweetness.

T: Lightly tart up front with some of the grape coming through, followed a little spice that really comes out as it warms, some malt sweetness, then a big hit of honey. Hides it's alcohol well, maybe a faint note on the finish.

M: Medium body, quite smooth, with lighter carbonation.

O: Very cool brew, glad I got to try it, though not something I'd buy on a regular basis.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Date: 9/4/2014
Other notes: Bottled 12/30/13. Just picked it up at the store a few days ago. So it's likely been sitting on the shelf at room temperature for several months.

Appearance - 4.25/5
Pours a remarkably clear golden-orange. No head. Can see lots of large carbonation bubbles slowing to the top at a much slower than typical speed. Overall, I love the clearness and color of this beer. I wish there was more head, but when you're making an ancient 2700 year old ale, the point is to experience the drink as it actually was, not how I want it to be.

Smell - 4/5
Sweet maltiness, a strong grape presence which I assume adds to the sweetness of the smell. There are some spices as well. Maybe a tiny bit of alcohol smell, but at 9%, that's not usual.

Taste - 3.5/5
The taste is hard to describe, likely because I am not used to the ingrediants (or my palate is just unrefined). A strong grape presence, but perhaps with a more wine like character. If I remember correctly, the taste is somewhat similar to DFH's Noble Rot, which is also made with grapes. It's very sweet, perhaps a little too much for my liking. Overall the taste includes sweet maltiness, grapes, perhaps a little honey. Overall, an interesting beer, but don't think I'm a gigantic fan of the taste.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
The beer is light to medium in body and is very crisp. The carbonation is fairly light, but kicks in a little more near the end of the sip (or if you move it around in your mouth). Overall, very smooth, I liked the feel of this beer.

Overall - 4/5
While this is not a beer I would want to drink all the time, I could see this being something to drink occasionally, when perhaps you are looking for something sweet and with a little bit more of a wine character. I am giving the rating a slight bump simply because I love the idea of the 'Ancient Ale' series, and I love the fact that this recipe is 2700 years old.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, golden with a short white head that dissipates leaving some lacing, clear

S: slight grain and spice, quite sweet

T: sweet up front with dark fruit flavors, prune, honey, fig

M: medium with low carbonation

O: unique look and taste

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

Slightly orangish-yellow. Quite hazy. Thin head.

Aroma of light pale malts, a little spice.

Taste is complex - a grapefruit-like sourness and rich pale malt An undefined but strong herbiness. Spice. Alcohol.

Different and interesting. But doesn't really ring my bell.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

12 oz Bottle poured into a 20 Firestone glass.Poured a golden color with one inch head.Smell is very sweet with a hint of grapefruit.Taste remained me of the time I drank mead.Very sweet.Once again this is one of those times where i can`t recommend this to a beer drinker because it`s more like a mead.It`s just to sweet for me.I have loved all the other Dogfish Head beers I have drank before but this one was not up to there standards.Motley out.

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Golden colored with excellent clarity. A fingernail of white foam covers most of the top. I detect the muscat grapes and the honey in the aroma. The saffron gives it a slightly herbal edge. The flavor is initially favored by the honey and barley,but the back of the palate is initially the muscat grapes and then the saffron really heads to the forefront and it finishes with the strong herbal kick. The mouth is moderately carbonated and the honey lends dryness.

12 ounce bottle poured into Belgian style stemmed beer glass.
A: Pours a light golden hue, with a thin white head that soon dissipates, but little bubbles of carbonation still trail up where the dimple of the stem meets the bottom of the glass.
S: Subtle smells of honey and grapes--very fruity with a mild floral notes.
T: My first thought upon tasting this was, "Wow, this tastes a lot like mead," and then I got the white muscat grapes and saffron. The honey is definitely the dominant flavor, in my opinion. That being said, it tastes very balanced. I have no idea how ancient beer is supposed to taste, but I imagine this is pretty close.
M: Very smooth and light, as the mild carbonation gives the impression that they were really going for the ancient beer feel (back then the only carbonation came from fermentation).
O: I was very intrigued by this beer, and wanted to buy it for a long time, but found myself complacent with more contemporary beer styles, and seeing as this beer is near 14 bucks for a 4 pack I found it hard to justify the purchase. However, I am glad I purchased this beer, because it really feels like a timemachine in glass. It is hard to rate this beer, because considering the template they used to make it is archaic I don't really have a viable frame of reference. I saw other reviews lamenting about how it didn't meet their expectations, and how they would rather drink an IPA, but such a comment sounds ill-founded to me. In all honesty, this beer is simply a tribute to the history of beer, and if you can't appreciate it as that, and would rather judge it with a contemporary and biased perspective, then this beer obviously isn't for you. If you want to taste the diversity Dogfishhead has to offer, and their love for the craft and its history, then this beer is definitely for you.

From notes on 12/10/13

Pours an interesting pink color. No head. Carbonated more like a white wine. Interesting smell. Is much more reminiscent of a wine than beer. Little bit musty. Well, it doesn't really taste like wine. Very fruity, along with the sweetness of honey. Tastes more like a beer than wine. The mouth feel though, is again like wine. Most interesting "beer" I've had in a long time. Although I don’t think this is actually classified as a beer. Definitely never had anything like it before.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from bottle to glass with very little and fine head. A rich, golden color, with very good clarity. This does not look or taste like a 2700 year old recipe at all. It's a bold, beautiful beer with hint of malt and white grape aroma and sweet honey taste. Dogfish head use a wonderful yeast that I have come to associate with a series of wonderful beers over the years and the Midas is no exception. Thanks to my friend who found this beer at a beer store and picked it up for me.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Similar to a Japanese, but a deeper, fuller gold. Its a fairly clear color.
S: Smells like white grape juice and alcohol. It smells similar to white wine with less acidity.
T: Saffron, Barley and a slight alcohol base. The grape must really comes through brilliantly in this beer as it isn't too overpowering but adds a light fruity tone, similar to champagne.
M: Not super carbonated,but enough to make my mouth sting a bit. It isn't the most full beer, so it's safe to say it's a quite delicate beer.
O: An excellent beer that often gets overlooked as it isn't a hop filled or deep and dark full concoction. If you appreciate beer and have an open mind, this beer will fulfill your wants. A definite purchase for the occasional glass at $12.99 a 4 pack.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle poured into glass. There is a thin white head. The appearance is golden, hazy yellow with visible carbonation bubbles. Very sweet and wonderful aroma on the nose. Honey and grab are prevalent. Very carbonated in the mouth. Sweet, can taste the honey and the grape followed by alcohol. Interesting and unique, quite tasty.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Very translucent, especially for a 9% beer. Dark golden
S: Smells pretty alcoholic. I can't smell the saffron, but it smells like a wine or a barleywine beer
T: Does not taste as alcoholic as it smells. I can taste the saffron. Other tastes are white grapes, coriander and a decent amount of barley
M: Nicely carbonated, but I wish this beer was more unfiltered. Has a a more viscous consistency than the appearance gives off
O: A good beer, but nothing great. I appreciate the taste of saffron, but this beer was quite expensive for me ($5 for a 12 oz. bottle at my local bottle shop) and it was not as special as a lot of people make it out to be. Definitely worth trying, but nothing special besides its high alcohol content and its white grape based taste

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: bright golden yellow straw in color. quite transparent

S: very aromatic, filled with spices and honey infused fruit. Yeasty bread notes. quite enticing. definitely malt forward and the sliver of grapiness is definitely from the grapes.

T: pronounced sweetness and noticeable alcohol. The taste is definitely not the aroma and visa versa. Strange taste that so malty and honeyed its hard to imagine this beer making it on the open market but if anyone can pull this one off is Dogfishhead. Finish is grainy and slight grapey sweet.

M: Medium to full bodied with a slight oily texture and moderate carbonation. off dry finish

O: This beer is strange to say the least but nevertheless its extremely cool for the one of the most respected breweries to resurrect this ancient style. I drink this and daydream I'm king midas drinking with my many wives and not worrying bout much. This beer is hardly a considered a beer by today's standards and is more closely related to a mead or alcoholic concoction of some sort. love it all the same

2.83/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Considering the price I paid I was hoping for a beverage with "The Midas Touch". Instead I got something that was mediocre at best. Pours out a hazy yellow with a minimal head and very little retention. The smell actually reminded me of adjuncts, not malt or hops. The taste was even on the "hot" side, particularly after the beer warmed a bit and the mouth feel average at best with poor carbonation. Overall it was OK, but just marginally. I am sorry I bought a 4 pack and will be going back to 90 Minute IPA if I want something from DFH. This is not a beer that is worth 3+ bucks a bottle at retail.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smells of white grapes and malt with a small amount of saffron to follow. Tasting it the grape is the strongest with hints of honey and saffron. The malt does come through after a few sips. After a while I feel as I have been drinking white wine as well. The finish is crisp and has a aftertaste of grapes. I would buy again.

Served from an ice cold bottle into a glass.

Appearance: Golden yellow with lots of carbonation bubbles. I gave it an aggressive pour and got no head. Bad beer bad, just joking.

Smell: Fresh, with citrus notes.

Taste; Again fresh with a hops bite and slightly bitter, very crisp and refreshing.

Mouth feel: Not thick, very light and refreshing, serve cold. Has a bit from the carbonation.

Overall: I love Dog fish Head and this brew is from the ancient Ale series my first one and i am very excited to try them all. i would recommend this brew and Dog fish head brewery, and since they were just on a recent Brew Dogs episode I am sure they are going to gain a lot more popularity. well done my friends.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Light yellow-gold, no carbonation, only a ring of head. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a late-harvest white wine.

S: Honey, white grapes, a background of sweet barley. Far from a typical beer, but nice.

T: Grapes, honey, a little bit of a yeasty-chalky. It's good, decent finish.

M: Full bodied, a tad syrupy, but had a soft touch on the tongue still.

O: Unique, and a nice beer. Bonus points for the cool history which can't be quantified in the scores here. Lacking in a few areas, but I wouldn't mind another.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle was poured into a tulip. Bottle date of 6/28/13.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pale orange with good clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Nice lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Honey sweetness, spice, alcohol, grapes, caramel, and some bready notes.

Taste: Sweet from the honey, spice, warm alcohol, safron, caramel, and toasted malts.

Mouthfeel: The sweetness seems to make this beer dry. Smooth, medium carbonation, medium to full bodied, and a little booze.

Overall: For being a year old, this beer held up well and tasted good.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I really love this one! It is complex but simple enough to get the major notes of what the beer is going for. I get strong notes of honey and spice which lead into a dry, herbal finish. Its fresh and round with a great balance! I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys drinking chardonnay!

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pours a golden yellow. No head. Zero lace.

S: White grapes and honey. Wheat bread. Sweet wine.

T: Apricot. Grapes. Honey.

M: Medium body. Sweet dry finish.

O: Really unique beer. Drinks more like a wine or a mead than a beer. Glad I tried it but would probably pass on it in the future.

4.06/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - light golden body-red hue,short head half an inch, minimal carbonation

N - sweet bread-like aroma, very unique and enjoyable

M - very light

T - middle is sweet, flavor reminds me of wheat bread, smooth finish with slight bitterness

O - Very interesting and unique beer. I love the history aspect of trying to imagine what it was like to drink something similar to this 5000 years ago. Would definitely pick up again and recommend to anyone.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery