Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,619 | Ratings: 4,678
3.77/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz bottle.
Pours out a clear, dark honey color with a thin barleywine type head, sheet lacing, and alcohol legs running down the glass.
Aroma is sweet, malty, grapey, alcoholic. Flavor is sweet& tart (lemony), mildly acidic. Picking up some honey as it warms.
Finish is long and lemony sweet. Tasty Can't drink more than one in a sitting tho.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Since I had this chilled before, I'm putting it to the test, the second bottle from my 4-pack. And I think it's still holding up at cellar temperature.

Appearance: Not much head or lacing at all, which I was hoping for (though it's not faint enough to warrant a 3. The color, though, is certainly gold, and I consider myself lucky for drinking it I suppose. Could be better, but nice, is what I'm saying, I suppose.

Smell: Honey and the white grapes come through mostly. Sweet malt and sweet things otherwise. This is a sweet beer (as far as sucrose is concerned), so there should be some sugar there. I know saffron is valued, but I don't know much about it. Either way, this is novel and very nice as far as getting into the glass.

Taste: Honey and grapes, once again, at first. Malts, completely. Slight yeast. Aftertaste is malty, smooth, original, odd, and noteworthy. This is certainly a singular brew.

Mouthfeel: Tons of sweetness -- the body is quite thin, along with the carbonation. But then again, the carbonation is there, but dies at the end. Too much malt and sweetness?

Drinkability: Maybe I should've reviewed this NOT at cellar temperature? I had it a few days ago at a cooler temperature, and I would've given it much better reviews, so I suppose, since I have a few bottles left, I'll possibly do that again with a cooler sample.

HOWEVER, this is a singular beer, and it's more worth a shot than most, as this is a rarity for the most part as far as beers like this. Try it, definitely. DFH continues to experiment, and I'll buy anything they put out because they're tenacious, and really, sometimes it seems like they don't give a shit about how everyone's going to take it. And I love that about them.

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%

I'd would have actually rather not given this a score. There really is no parallel in the beer world to compare it with. It is what it is. Dogfish Head always makes unique beer, but not always the most drinkable. But that isn't necessarily the point. Yes, it must be drunk. But it's more of an experience. And Midas Touch is something to be experienced. I can nearly guaranty that you won't be coming back or that you'll easily enjoy it. But give it a try with some friends. It's something to talk about.

The saffron they added to the beer make it a fantastically golden color. Mostly thin and transparent. But it sparkles like pure gold.

It smells of fruit and spice. Heavy alcohol in the nose. Pleasant and intriguing. It draws you in with mystery like an ancient tomb.

The taste takes you in another direction. You can't compare it with another beer. To me, the taste, at least in the front, is strongly similar to a sake or possibly even a rum. The alcohol comes out very strong up front. Grapes, honey and alcohol makes this wine like. Nearly a (cheap) Japanese sake I'd say. But that's misleading. Grape and pear come out pretty well if you can get past the alcohol and spice. There are so many complicated little flavors that your moth tries to lump it all into one sensation.

I'm not sure how much I can actually say to describe it to you. By far not the best beer in the world. But I won't even classify it as a beer. It's entirely out there on its own. I won't enjoy much of it. But I can appreciate everything it is. Disregard the score and just get a bottle. 6 ounces is even a little much, so do share it with your friends. It's an experience to behold.

Note that Midas Touch is another name for grog. A mix of beer, wine, juice and honey. That's actually pretty much what this is.

3.67/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours from the 12oz bottle a bright copper color with just a touch of a fizzy white head. Decent carbonation in the form of tiny, tiny bubbles. Interesting aroma - all ingredients stated on the bottle come through, especially the muscat grapes. Hints of saffron, honey, malt, and a general sweetness pervade the nose. Palate is even more interesting. Sweet with honey and grapes, offset slightly by the sweet malt and herby saffron. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky from the honey, but I guess that's to be expected. Big alcohol kick from the start makes this a longtime sipping beer. Nice, and very interesting.

3.87/5  rDev +4%

Kudos again to Dogfish Head for trying something new and expanding our conceptions of what beer can be. Midas Touch is definitely experimental, and though I encourage experimenting, some experiments are interesting failures--not this one, though. It's a success. I couldn't drink glass after glass of this, and it's not going into my regular beer rotation, but it is enjoyable in addition to be interesting.

The taste of alcohol comes through strongly, not masked at all by the tastes of honey and grape that are also present. The aftertaste is tart and lingers for a while, revealing some additional complexity, like slight hints of strawberries.

Beer has no limits. Give this one a shot. If you can, get a single bottle rather than a four-pack.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Golden, midas very well may have touched this, or saffron, either way. Pretty thick, with little head or lacing.

S - Grapes, it almost smells like wine it's so hammered with white grapes. Noticeable honey and alcohol touches the nose also.

T - Grapes and alcohol with the honey to smooth it out. To a very untrained mouth, you would think you are drinking a chardonnay.

M - Very smooth and buttery, it moves around like a liqour, a little thick, with a heavy dose of alcohol, it is nice on the mouth.

D This is where it takes a turn, I was just able to get 6 oz. down, it is a very strong, very heavy hitting beer.

I split this with another BA and we had a bit of trouble drinking it. The different taste, texture and high alcohol warrants you from drinking this more than twice a year. This beer was good, but I don't know if I'd reccomend this to everyone.

3.72/5  rDev 0%

Pale golden honey in color with a brief, sizzling head that dissapears quickly and leaves no trace behind.

Aroma is sweet and filled with fruity goodness. Pear, melon, apricot, white grape, and peach. There's obviously a boatload of honey ion here as well.

Flavor is sweet yet crisp, very fruit forward, and brimming with honey. If I didn't know better, I'd say this was mead. Melon, pear, grape, and mango are the highlighted flavors.

Medium bodied, stick-sweet, and almost syrup-like texture. Interesting and tastey, but no more than one in a sitting.

4.24/5  rDev +14%

Appearance is by far it's most lacking quality. Head is minimal..and the lacing is nonexistant. Not even a ring of lacing on the edge by the time I was finished.
Smells strongly of grapes, honey, lemon, oranges, & spices...
And for the taste..actually, I found the honey, muscat, and spices to be a rather pleasant combination..I'm not entirely fond of fruity or experimental beers, but this was quite the exception. The uniqueness of this beer alone gives it high marks for taste.
..and how is this 9%? The sweetness must knock out every iota of the alcohol presence in this one. Remarkably, the powerful sweetness in the taste doesn't take away from the drinkability. I actually wanted to reach for a 2nd bottle as soon as I downed the first one. Dangerously different...and recommended for every BA to try.

Thanks to ski271 for the bottle.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Visual Sensation: A lucid honey hue even throughout. Minimal head/lacing. Looks tasty on a hot day, but not much to distinguish it, aside from the golden clarity. Midas indeed.

Nasal Sensation: A little bit of sweetness (honey) and a touch of spice (saffron, apparently). A touch of grain. Very subtle.

Oral Sensation: Woah. Burst of spice, honey and barley up front, a splash of carbonation, mellowing to a very nice toasted barley/oat that rides off into the sunset. The white grapes add tang and give it vague wine characteristics, which I think are pretty cool.

Feel of the Mouth: Nicely balanced -- the sweetness of the honey gets a bit heavier as you drink through, but the spice and perfect amount of carbonation carries it well, for the most part.

Imbibability: A tasty beer, but the sweetness gets a bit thick near the end of the bottle, to the point that it's trying.

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Medium orange-amber with hardly any head. A second bottle yielded maybe 1 cm of slightly off-white, creamy, slowly diminishing head after a very aggressive pour. Very sparse lacing.

Smell: Quite sweet. Honey, bready malts and grape are most dominant in the nose, along with only some light saffron (thought it would be stronger), a little soapy yeast.

Taste: Very sweet. Like taking white grape juice and mixing in a big dollop of honey. Some more mild bready, sweet malts in there, herbs and some light yeast, more so on the sort of wine-like finish. Alcohol becomes more noticeable as it warms, as do the malts.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, lightly syrupy texture, and hardly any carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a weird one for sure. Wasn’t sure if I liked it at first, but once I knew what to expect, it was much more enjoyable. It’s surprisingly smooth and VERY easy drinking, especially considering that it’s 9%. This is a mood beer, something I’d enjoy on a rare occasion, and that’s a good thing considering its price. But it was a pleasant break from the norm, and I’m glad I tried it.

2.73/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - Hazy golden orange with visible particulates. Medium head that is slow to form and quick to disappear.

Smell - Not very beer like. It smells a lot like a Reisling and not at all like a beer. Probably the muscat grapes. It smells like alcohol, but in a vinous way.

Taste - Bizarre is the first word that comes to mind. Initially it has a winy Reisling taste that is joined quickly by powerful honey flavor. It has the barley aftertaste I'd expect from a decent lager mixed with a strong honey flavor. All of the alcohol taste is meshed with the wine flavor. Very strange, but nice. I imagine this is what it would taste like to pour honey in Reisling and then wash it down with a light lager. The flavor is good but it gets old quickly. Long after you sip, the honey taste stays on your tongue lulling you back for another sip of the peculiar brew.

Mouthfeel - Thin and frothy. Not drying per se, but I wouldn't use the word "refreshing."

Drinkability - Ugh. After five sips I don't really want anymore. Granted if I wait two minutes the honey lingering on my tonuge make me sip again. I guess it might go with some food, but it's strange flavor would detract from whatever you are eating. I would like to taste it it again I suppose, but I would probably share with friends. It is difficult to drink even 12 oz of, but the curious flavor makes it worth a try, just expect the unexpected.

This "beer" is difficult to rate because it is so strange. Dogfish Head continues too impress me with their creativity though. Shame I can't make it to Bocce.

3.67/5  rDev -1.3%

Picked up a single 12 oz bottle for 4 bucks. Steep, but my curiosity got to me. Pours a hazy, murky gold with light carbonation. Looks like a big glass of honey, actually. Strong aroma of pure, fermented honey. The fermented, semi-sweet honey is the first and strongest flavor. White grape is next up, with only a bit of malty ale character noticeable in the end. Alcohol warmth is strong and lasting. Seems to be a mead first, then a wine and a beer. More of a braggot than anything else? Bleeding edge weird experimental beer, this is not something you could drink often but is certainly worth a try.

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

It's quite a neat drink-thing. It's somewhat mead-like, but more like a braggot with the carbonation and dainty head. Aromas are right on a chardonay with honey and sweet spices. Tastes also chardonay like with more sweetness, corriander, allspice, and some others that I can't describe. High alcohol boarders on phenolic. Quite perfumy and sweetly tart throughout. A well formed experiment. I like it, though only on occasions.

3.87/5  rDev +4%

Pours a golden color with a small one finger white head that falls fast to a ring that leaves sparse lace.

Aroma is sweet malt mixed with honey almost mead like. Some light fruit white grapes and flowery spice which I assume must be saffron. Nice soothing aroma light soft sweet flowery.

Taste is light bready malt mingled with honey and white grapes smooth easy on the palate. Finish is light spice nice flowery mingled with lightly sweet lingering maltiness. No notice of the 9% at all.

Mouthfeel is smooth almost medium.

Drinkability is good goes down smooth and easy, certainly worth a try. But for myself personal wouldn't buy repeatedly for the price.

Golden-yellow color with no real head but plenty of bubbles, something like a dark champagne. Smells of hops & honey on the nose, strongly and very appealing. Tastes roughly the same with some malts and hoppiness quickly giving away to honey/mead tastes and very decent acidity/feel. Very drinkable for a nine-er and two bottles went missing between "innocent" looking friends.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

A light golden color, with a simple, smallish cream-colored head. The liquid is hazy - there is a suspension of miniscule flecks.

The honey is prominent in the aroma as are the grapes, with herbs and a little citrus. There is also a significant malt smell. It is a sweet smell.

The flavor is intense, much stronger than the aroma: a sharp complex flavor which blends the honey and herbs and a significant fruitiness which seems to lend as much bitterness as it does sweetness. The alcohol plays a big role as well, boosting the spicy kick this beer delivers. The finish is sweet and sour, somewhat syrupy, and holds the aroma pleasantly in the mouth for some time.

The body is thick, with carbonation on the low side - it is very creamy.

It is a pleasure to drink, but I cannot take a sip of this beer and do anything else at the same time - my mind is occupied while drinking it. Every sip says something new.

Another winner from Dogfish Head.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a bottle with a November brewed on date. Comes out a pale orange color that is somewhat cloudy. Reminds me of an IPA. The head is tannish and thin and dissipates quickly leaving only small specks of lace at the bottom of the glass. There is a good deal of carbonation with bubbles that hang around the sides.

The aroma is buttery bread with hints of fruit. The taste will surprise you at first. It is spicy like gingerale with a good deal of carbonation. There is a good deal of alcoholic taste in there as well. I found it kind of hard to finish as the alcohol flavor was so high. Definitely not your typical beer.

3.05/5  rDev -18%

Executive Review: Not what I expected, given the description from DFH. Uncharacteristically thin and estery for these guys.

Appearance: Nice amber pour...clear as day. Thin head that gets thinner and quickly reduces to a ring around the glass.

Smell: Definitely wine-y. Can get the flowery bit with the saffron, but the alcohol is in the nose as well, and I don't particularly like that in a brew.

Taste: Grape googly moogly! A definite alcohol presence as well. Quite a rude awakening coming off a double IPA this evening. Not a bad flavor...but one you have to be prepared for.

Mouthfeel: I thought it was a little thin. I expected more of a sticky feel to this one, but it's not.

Drinkability: Yikes. I wouldn't want more than one of these. It'll put you in a fog if you're not ready for it. I'd recommend this as an after-dinner drink.

4.09/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a lovely golden color with not much of a head, sadly.

The smell is quite unique. It smells like sweet grapes. I know I've never had a beer that smelled like this before. Very special.

The taste is fruity, thanks to the grapes. I am amazed how much grape flavor comes through. This isn't a wine flavor, but rather the taste of fresh grapes. DFH must not use much honey, because from homebrewing experience I can say that it doesn't add sweetness to the beer, but instead adds dryness and alcohol. There is just the hint of dryness and alcohol here. The flavor of grapes is left on my palate after swallowing. Not being that familiar with saffron I can't comment on its additions to the beer.

The mouthfeel is good. I don't detect the normal slickness present in many higher alcohol beers.

This beer is very different from other beers and just as different from DFH's other brews. It is very much worth the high price and is a great beer for special occasions.

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

I purchased this bottle at Rich O's in Indiana. Pours from the cool looking bottle a slightly hazy bright orange color with a nice inch of tiny bubbly head. Some spotty lacing appears as well. An intersting herbal aroma featuring sweet honey, wildflowers and an underlying grapey vinous aroma reminiscent of sweet white wine. Light and aromatic with some hints of spicy yeast...I quite enjoy smelling this one.

First sip brings a light airy fruity maltiness across the palate. The vinous grape character (almost like sweet white wine) is predominent along with an overall herbal/floral flavor probably imparted by the saffron. Fairly sweet with the honey but not cloying overall with a nice yeasty twang on the way down. Quite complex, nicely layered and tasty...a very enjoyable brew and a nice change of pace.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side and this could use a little more body. However, the alcohol is well hidden and this one goes down like water. I could see myself finishing off a four pack quickly...well...probably too quickly at 9%. Another well done experimental brew from Sam & DFH. I hope they keep up the good work.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Interesting and delicious
pours a light amber with 1/4 inch head that dissipates and leaves no real lacing to speak of.
smell was sweet malts, honey, and quite grapey with slight earthy hop notes, very slight indeed.
the taste was sweetness up front from the grape and honey that finished slightly dry from the alcohol. Very wine like at its essence. very enjoyable but sneaks up on you

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Kind of a bizarre beer, I had wanted to try it simply because of its background. Pours a light, clear amber, with little head and a little lacing. Smells like I don't know? Dried apricots, malty, earthy, alcohol, and kind of grapy? Very hard to place I thought. Tastes sweet, can taste the alcohol, kind of winish, can taste the grape influence at the end of the sip. Beer was pretty smooth, lots of carbonation and a pleasant mouthfeel. Would maybe try this again however the novelty has worn off, honestly worth a try though, very different. Thanks JoeyC.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Winey aroma, lace, hoppy plumb white grape content. Alcohol drying that cleas the palate. Meadiness. If I want fruit wine, I will have that. If I want mead, I will obtain that. Apple taste on finish. I guess unique with some dinner. OK, had it. Thanks JoeyC.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

This brew is a honey colour with fat and sluggish carbonation bubbles that bash their heads at the surface. There was minimal head development off the pour, no ringer, no lacing. It is looking more like a glass of apple juice as my peepers repeatedly size the thing up.

The smell is like dilute purple cool aid. Grape scents and some kind of powdered additive type of smell. Honey is surely noticable in the nose as well. Not sure about saffron, but it is probably in there somewhere too. Never smelled the stuff myself.

The taste has a honey and table sugar gritty sweetness to it. Sure, the grapes are here as well. They make an attempt at keeping the intense honey flavour from becoming a maniac. This is quite a sweet deal. No shortage of sugar. The mammoth sweet character smothers any peep made by the alcohol content. Tons o' honey fo sho!

Sticky and juicy sugar water. Grainy and nearly crunchy as if sugar were falling out of solution and coating my mouth.

I can barely finish this one. I feel the need to shoot up some insulin by the middle of the glass. Way too much sweets.

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

Not sure how to take this beer. I look at it as almost a braggot, mead/beer mix due to the honey in it. It's great that way. Looks like a lightly carbonated, well, mead. Slightly spicy aroma. Can't put my finger on it, probably saffron, except I'm not sure what saffron smells like. Taste is really interesting and well layered. First taste is beer like, slight hop bite there, then a hint of honey. In the aftertaste, I really pick up the sweet muscat grapes. Full mouthfeel, no alcohol burn that I can pick up on. Well put together and interesting at the same time!

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery