2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

good

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,644 | Reviews: 1,526 | Show All Ratings:
Bighuge

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%

This beer is golden with orange highlights. Nice head. Nice retention. Sweet aroma. Honey. Smells like a braggot. This beer tastes fairly bland to me. There are some sweet honey tones. The impressive thing about this beer is that it is 9% a/v. If you want an easy drinking high a/v beer, this is it. Dangerously smooth and easy drinking. Personally, there is not enough complexity in the taste for me to sample this one very often. (Especially given the price.)

07-02-2002 20:31:21 | More by Bighuge
beerthulhu

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brewed with barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron.

A: Poured a golden-apple juice color with a thin white head with no lacing.

S: tart grapes, apples, and some light honey notes.

T: sweet honey malt, and tart grapes. There was some yeastiness with a very light herbal hopping. The palate was crisp and finished with some tart grapes and a lingering honey sweetness as well some dry alcohol.

M: slick, mildly carbonated, and very light and thin.

D: A tad sweet so one is enough in a sitting. Noticeable alcohol also may hinder drinkability.

04-16-2008 22:12:33 | More by beerthulhu
Stinkypuss

3.3/5  rDev -11.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter. Golden in color with a soapy lace.

Smells strongly of wheat, with some honey sweetness and spiciness from the saffron.

Tastes tart, champagne like at times from the muscat grapes. There is certainly a grainy/wheat prescence in there as well. Spices mingle with some fruity esters. Pretty decent, grows on me. Alcohol presence becomes stronger as it warms.

Mouthfeel is light with a very dry finish.

Drinkability is moderate. A decent overall brew, strange and not alltogether amazing. Mead like at times. Good for a tasting but not for extended drinking.

12-12-2008 14:03:43 | More by Stinkypuss
glid02

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a honey-gold color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of sweet grapes - like sugar-coated scuppernongs - with good amounts of honey. As it warms the sweetness subsides just a bit.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sticky honey flavors up front are quickly joined by sugar-coated American grape flavors. The sweetness is just short of cloying and the ending is on the sweeter side.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass however I'm not sure I want another.

Overall this is certainly a distinguised beer however I'm not sure if a general beer drinker had this they would identify it as beer as much as they would carbonated mead. Worth a shot for the novelty.

11-03-2009 04:02:03 | More by glid02
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Vintage January 2, 2007

I had a four year old sample of this brew served by Sam Calagione in 2006. I remember liking it much more than the fresh version, so I bought a four pack and cellared it for just shy of four years.

A: Midas Touch appears golden and hazy with an 1/8" of head that leaves some faint lacing in its wake.

S: Grapes, grape juice with an assortment of spices.

T: I believe the sweetness has mellowed, and the beer has a subdued alcohol presence. The taste is tannic and / or of alcoholic grape juice. Four years of aging has created a smoother, more mellow version of the beer.

M: Having benefited from time in the cellar, the alcohol presence is muted. The beer is medium-thin in body, with a present sweetness.

D: A fun, unique and interesting beer. Kudos to Dogfish Head for pushing the limits. I wouldn't want more than a few ounces of this. Midas Touch is an intriguing brew, and worth a try.

12-10-2010 19:44:52 | More by Huhzubendah
Gusler

Arizona

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

The beer after its disinterment from the 12-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass a deep copper color with a modest off white head and the lace a thin veil to conceal the glass. Nose has the aroma of honey, quite sweet with a slight hint of fusel alcohol also a bit grassy, start is sweet with a bountiful grain presence, and the top is moderate in feel. Finish has a determined acidity, the hops pleasantly spicy and the aftertaste dry, alcohol warming noticed, a quite nice beer, as I need a big beer today.

10-21-2005 22:07:24 | More by Gusler
Slatetank

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Decanted cool into a snifter, picked the bottle up at Thirsty's date of 7/2006 on neck. I might have to review again.

A - An apricot shade of amber w/ a quickly collapsing head made of pin sized bone white head. Streams of bubbles make lines of carbonation up the sides of the snifter.

S - A strange mix of honey-like aromas, spiced tinges and malt liquor like booziness.

M - Sweet grainy w/ a boozy honey kissed feel and a fullnes of rice w/ a candy-like finish.

T - Sweet, mead-like honeyish flavors blend w/ a creamy and dry malty w/ a subtle delicate and spicy saffron tinge. A slightly syrupy full unctous honey and malt synergy of smoothness and a creamy round fullness that begs for return sips. No real harsh malt alcohol flavor, just strong and noticeable abv.

D - a sweet taste that can be savored for at least an hour w/ a boozy yet smooth feeel and easy to drink relatively for the strength. A nice honey blend w/ the flavor and balance of barley and spice, very drinkable and intense. I admire the effort of Sam Calagione and Company for producing this ancient ale from a faraway place.

01-28-2008 15:54:20 | More by Slatetank
Brad007

Vermont

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours a yellow-gold color with a thin one-finger head. Carbonation seems even.

Aroma is mainly honey with saffron and only a hint of grape. Sweet. Similar to a few other beers I've had where they claim to be based upon ancient recipes.

Taste starts out sweet with the honey and saffron.Spiciness kicks in the middle with Grape is noticeable at the back of the throat. Seems to be a good experiment in extremes.

Mouthfeel is mainly the mixture of tastes (sweetness, spiciness) and it becomes light and fluffy all the way at the back of the throat, as if you didn't even drink a thing. Finishes smooth in other words. Alcohol warmth is present and with some aging, will no doubt fade over time.

An complex and interesting ale. I can honestly say I haven't had anything like this before. I have had a few examples of ales claiming to be made with ancient recipes. Those were either too cloying or too mundane. This one has the right balance. For that reason, I'm going to rate it higher than typical reviews. You have to be able to pick out the flavor in order to truly enjoy this ale. As I said, it might be even better with some aging and might take on more of a port-like quality. I'm no expert there but this is worth a shot at least once. Try it. It won't hurt you.

08-30-2008 02:54:47 | More by Brad007
Georgiabeer

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

I know that this is a controversial brew, but I really like it and I get an added frisson from the historical angle. I like the idea of this beer, and happily I like the beer itself.

The brew pours a dark golden like an artisnal honey. The head is fine with small tight bubbles that dissipates to a ring.

The smell is of rich honey and hops and candied fruit- perhaps pineapple.

The taste is a little like a Belgian golden, and is very winey with some distinct grape and honey flavors. I don't detect any saffron unless its in an undefined bitterness.

The mouthfeel is a little syrupy, but overall its clean.

The complexity of the beer makes me want to keep drinking more, it is a little unusual, so I like this as a beer to end the evening, not as a session beer.

07-23-2006 20:38:29 | More by Georgiabeer
smakawhat

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. Bottled Jan 6th 2011, boy should have paid attention to that date...

Barely even a half finger white head made off the pour but I'll admit it has some staying power. Body is a clear pale amber light orange with large carbonation bubbles stuck to the glass. A few come up and make their presence known. Kind of a weak looking brew.

Smell is a mix of off putting and nice. Bitter bile but also, a candied like Belgian yeast scent (it's the Muscat actually that's making the sweetness), with a big floral bent. Pollen. I am kind of on the fence with this one since the first scent is quite off putting.

Taste is shockingly better. Big thick and carbonated blast of honey and fruit in the mid palate, with a nice honey and dry bread finish on the swallow. Mouthfeel is a little interesting and unexpected, very playful in feel of mix of big body with a package of carbonation.

Overall I still enjoy this in the taste and drink. I've had this many times before, but I think I needed a fresher bottle (or just go for on tap). I seem to remember liking it more in the past, perhaps a re-review is in the cards for this one.

06-25-2011 16:40:57 | More by smakawhat
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into tulip glass.

Pours ½ finger of fizzy beige head. Fades down to a ring around the edge quickly. No lace. Color is a hazed pale golden orange.

Aroma: Honey, grapes, spices (must be the saffron), orange peel. Very sweet, yet subtle aroma and I enjoy it.

Taste: Very interesting taste. I can definitely taste the barley here as well as the other highlight ingredients of honey and grapes. Very unique flavor. Has some orange peel and clove flavors as well. A little booze shows as well.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, spiced, and hot. Medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends with a big spiced flavored aftertaste that is pretty dry.

Overall, it is a unique beer and at 9%, I don't think I will have a problem finishing the bottle. It is filling, but the uniqueness keeps it going for me. Worth a try, in my opinion.

10-01-2009 02:43:20 | More by mothman
superspak

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

12 ounce bottle into signature tulip glass, bottled on 4/20/2012. Pours lightly cloudy golden amber color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Good soapy lacing clings to the glass, with a good amount of carbonation streaming up. Aromas of honey, grape, earth, apricot, herbal, clove, raisin, pepper, bread, floral, and light yeast spices. Nice and well balanced aromas with decent strength; quite pleasant. Taste of grape, biscuit, honey, pepper, clove, saffron, herbal, earth, raisin, floral, and light yeast spiciness. Lingering notes of biscuit, honey, grape, herbal, earth, and light yeast spices on the finish for a bit. Nice balance of flavors; no cloying sweetness at all. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a slightly creamy and slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a small warming noticed after the finish. Very smooth to sip on. Overall this is a very nice ancient ale style. Very nice flavor balance and complexity; with nice smoothness. Very enjoyable stuff.

08-26-2012 05:47:23 | More by superspak
dbrauneis

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

Served on tap at Mugs Alehouse in Brooklyn, NY

A: Pours a clear straw pale yellow with a thin white head that reduces to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light lacing is observed.

S: The aroma is very sweet, just shy of being cloyingly sweet. You can definitely get some hints of muscat grape - kind of similar in the sweet smell to a dessert wine.

T: There is a lot of sweetness in this beer, definitely contributed from the muscat grape and honey used in the brewing. In addition to the sweetness, I do detect a little hint of saffron.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Too sweet for me - I guess this might be a nice dessert offering (like a dessert wine) but I'm not much of a sweet tooth. This is a beer that you only want/need to sip a small amount to enjoy.

03-12-2012 15:08:34 | More by dbrauneis
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz bottle poured into 400ml dab glass oct10 2009

A crystal clear golden color with a fingers worth of head that quickly fell to a 1/4in film that left a fair amount of lace

S smells like what people would associate the color purple with, that synthetic grape candy smell, sadly enough I kinda liked it. This took me back to my childhood eating purple fizz candy.

T as it smells but much more, some spice, booze and some sweetness. this is a interesting beer with some strange appeal to it that I just cant explain(maybe its the "purple" flavor)

M bubbles up in your mouth right away but I don't mind in this case, but it is a little thinner then I expected

D a unique beer at the very least and worth trying again just for that reason alone. for 9% its easy to drink for sure, it went down pretty quick. I'm thinking half the reason it sunk so fast was I kept trying too figure out what I was drinking.

What can I say I enjoyed this beer, different but good

10-11-2009 00:32:28 | More by wordemupg
ccrida

Oregon

2.7/5  rDev -27.4%

A 12 oz. bottle (dated 7/06) poured in a pint glass, the Midas Touch is a light orange with a very thin head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lace. The aroma is very faint and unassuming, not much different then a Budweiser, or maybe a bit like a club soda. The taste however was nowhere near as subtle, almost entirely dominated by the sweet taste of honey with a touch of champagne. I have never tasted a honey beer that tasted so much like raw honey, almost as if it didn't fully ferment, or they added some extra at bottling. This made it to sweet for me, and I generally favor a sweeter beer. I did not pick up any traces of the saffron, and my Mom makes a mean paella, so I'm pretty familiar with it's taste. I guess it just got lost in the honey. I really liked what I assume I was tasting of the white grapes, reminding me a bit of a Saison, and wish that had been brought out more. As it was, with a fairly thin mouth feel and overbearing sweetness, I did not find this beer to be that drinkable, and would probably not bother with it again, unless I had cellared one for a good year or two, in hopes of easing the sweetness.

11-28-2006 03:54:29 | More by ccrida
dirtylou

Washington

4.13/5  rDev +11%

12oz single, Riley's, an overpriced $3.49, bottled 4/5/06

appearance: poured into my la chouffe snifter...clear golden body, frothy white head forms immediately with not much retention and slight lacing....sparkling bubbly body. pretty looking beer

smell: toasted grain and barley, sweet and syrupy aroma, honey, vinous white grape, lots of spice, a tad earthy...complex but not terribly attractive especially when compared to the flavour

taste: big sweet body, honey, vinous white grape, barley, toasted grain/malt, a tad boozy, spicy saffron, candy sugar, light cherry, peach juice, fruit syrup. Its got great complexity and is generally an enjoyable beer. For the style (or lack there of really), I rate it highly

mouthfeel: syrupy, a bit boozy, smooth body, medium/full

drinkability: pretty good

08-22-2006 23:51:28 | More by dirtylou
beertunes

Washington

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottled on 5/15/09. Poured into 10oz. glass. Poured a cloudy, but clear, golden yellow with about a half-inch of white head that quickly dissipated, leaving no lacing.

A slightly sweet, fruit scent greeted the nose first. A spiced malt aroma follows. The flavors have a similar profile to the aromas, just bolder and more pronounced. There was a lingering aftertaste I couldn't quite put my finger on.

The body was good, full and coating without being heavy or sticky. Drinkability was good, but I could see where it would be dependent on one's tolerance for the different flavors in this brew, and how well you take 9% beers.

Overall, a good and interesting beer that I'll have again, but I'm not sure it'll go into the regular rotation. Worth trying.

10-14-2009 20:21:29 | More by beertunes
Dogbrick

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Acquired via trade. Pours a foggy orange color with a medium off-white head. Very little lacing. Very sweet aroma of grapes, honey and peach. The flavor is crisp and sweet, and there are really no hops to speak of. Tastes of honey, herbs and spices. Finish is rather dry. Definitely unique.

02-25-2003 07:23:00 | More by Dogbrick
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%

Served from tap into a standard pint. Poured a golden yellow with minimal white head. There was no evident lacing throughout. The aroma consisted of a light malt hint. The taste was sweet that was light on the palate and low in carbonation. Overall this was a nice refreshing beer that was nice. Not great, but not bad. It actually reminded me of a Chimay to be honest... Take that as you will.

05-18-2010 12:25:25 | More by thagr81us
kylehay2004

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Half finger head, rapidly dissipates and leaves no lace. Golden and minimally hazy.

S: Bready, a little spice but not a strong scent overall.

T: The sour finish is very reminiscent of chardonnay. Bready and touch of honey. Crisp.

M: Light to medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Wet feel.

Overall: The taste is unique, and not in a bad way but also not in an exciting way either. A nice beer to try out but my biggest issue is that this beer gets old fast and it starts to taste more like stale wine then beer.

08-06-2011 00:43:50 | More by kylehay2004
OWSLEY069

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a clean golden yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, dry grapes and a small spice. In the taste, dry fruit, mainly grapes, and spicy. A spice bite and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with adry spice in the aftertaste. Quite spicy, and lots of fruitiness. Interesting, but just OK.

02-19-2011 23:58:26 | More by OWSLEY069
tavernjef

4.5/5  rDev +21%

I absolutely loved this stuff. Quite a well crafted and unique brew. You get to see what you're gonna get right at point of purchase due to it being in a clear bottle. But upon opening it is when it really starts to shows off. Color is a hazy dark yellow with a light orangy gold tone to it. Recieved a big bubbly off-white head of foam that faded pretty quickly leaving amazing stitching of lace all over the glass. Smell is much that of wine, chardonnay maybe, with lots of white grapes, a bit musty in a earthy undertone and just lots of fruity sweetness and a touch of honey. Taste is mild sweetness of grapes, wine-like in character, good fruity sweet tartness that grabs nicely and is easy to handle with a nice "touch " of honey and some alcohol pops out in the finish. Feel is pretty full, a bit dull of sweet tartness and carbonation is leveled out some.
Great, great stuff, and the 9% really hits your head so drink slowly and enjoy.

06-15-2003 13:11:43 | More by tavernjef
Cyberkedi

4.53/5  rDev +21.8%

Color is a clear, beautiful beer-golden. Aroma is quite fruity and has a zing to it. Flavor has a strong ale taste with some bite and a whisper of lemon. Although it is hoppy, Midas Touch is surprisingly and pleasantly not bitter. The pleasant and jazzy mouth-feel make this a good sipping beer.

04-01-2007 00:10:07 | More by Cyberkedi
avalon07

South Carolina

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an orange-yellow color and a slightly hazy consistency. There was a quarter inch of white, fairly long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A very sharp aroma of white wine and malt. Kind of unusual.

T: Tasted like it smelled. White wine, malt, some inderminate spices. A very bitter, harsh flavor that's not like many beers out there.

M: A good amount of carbonation, but the finish is extremely bitter. Medium-bodied.

D: Drinkable, in a weird way. This is one of those beers that's good to try out, but not one to come back to.

04-16-2010 12:13:24 | More by avalon07
largadeer

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Clear golden-amber in color with a white head that retains somewhat poorly.

Smell: Spices and honey-like sweetness, mild fruity esters. Saffron and muscat grapes aren't specifically noticed in the aroma, though this is actually pretty muted overall.

Taste & mouthfeel: Light sweetness and esters up front. Honey is faintly noticed, but I can't taste the saffron at all. There's a touch of spiciness, but coming more from the yeast. Light acidity. The finish is reasonably dry and only slightly bitter. This isn't nearly as cloying as it sounds, but it's not as interesting either. Not a bad brew.

09-24-2008 19:22:45 | More by largadeer