Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,472 | Reviews: 1,616
3.45/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: hazy gold color, not much of a head, good upward carbonation cascade, almost zero lacing

Smell: musty, spices and citrus, can't put my finger on it. Mild cloves? Orange?

Taste: definitely NOT hoppy! Hints of honey or agave. Some sort of fruit and spice I can't identify. Bottle says saffron and white muscat grapes.

Mouthfeel: mildly astringent and dry

I'll admit, I only bought this because it was billed as a "Handcrafted Ancient Ale" and I wanted to try something new that wasn't an IPA, stout, or porter. I liked the aroma and the taste, although I had trouble identifying exactly what it was I was smelling and tasting. The only thing I could reliably identify was honey. I even went and smelled different spices from my spice cabinet to try to narrow it down. The bottle said saffron and white muscat grapes, neither of which I am familiar enough with to make any sort of comment on. At any rate it was enjoyable enough and I was happy to expand my palate with it.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into dogfish Spiegelau glass.

Looks like golden honey. Smell is of grapes and honey - subtle but sweet notes almost like a flower that I cannot directly name. Taste is honey and grapes as well. Almost similar to champagne/cider combination. Quite delicious!

4.96/5  rDev +33%

Poured into my trusty pint glass. pale to copperish color. small to medium head. Taste of honey and muscat grapes. an addicting flavor over taste is amazing and mouthful is that of wine so i gave 4.75 instead of a 5. Another great beer from Dogfishhead

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

- this will be a go to beer from dogfish if I'm I. The fruity mood.
- Wine like taste.
- Like the carbonation (this is like cider)
- Kind of reminds me of champagne/cider.
- nothing special about the color or smells. Golden look.
- liked the idea of an old recipe.

Peter out

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a white wine glass...

A - A translucent golden orange, 1/2 finger very white head and some sugar lacing

S - Very earthy and dry right away, booze, citrus, island fruits and flowers, reminds me of a warm day at a tropical beach, honey, desert wine, saffron, dried out malts and grains, fresh trimmed trees and some dense yeast notes

T - Right off the bat sugar and lots of it, sweet citrus fruits, honey, driftwood, Island fruits, maybe some honey dew or cantaloupe?, very dense bread and almost biscuity, crazy sweet yeast very dry malts, floraly hops and some desert wine like booze

M - Full bodied, nice balance, nice complexity, medium minus acidity and a very sweet, dry, hoppy malty very long finish

D/O - Surprisingly easy to drink for how huge this thing is. It is very dense, very malty, very sugary and yet very good and easy to drink. I'd love to try one of these on cask and/or aged for about 10 years. If you are looking for something different and haven't had one yet, give 'er a try!

Final thoughts - $13 a 4 pack is crazy, not stoked on that. The tatse and 9% abv makes up for it, a little bit

4.67/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled on date: 1/16/13) into a Dogfish Head Signature Glass

A- Pours a slightly hazy, sunset golden orange with barely a 1 finger's worth of a white, frothy head. While there is some sediment floating about, it is nothing close to the 'chunkiness' that I find in other (aged) Dogfish beers. 4.0

S- Not overly complex, but absolutely what I was anticipating. Honey sweetness is the immediate (and dominant) aroma...but the muscat (white) grape aroma flourishes as it warms. Any aroma contributed by the saffron is not apparent...not sure if that is due to the bottle's age. (However, the aroma of saffron is classified as a honey, tea-like which might just be blending together in absolute harmony with the honey and grapes). 4.5

T- Honey/Mead sweetness at the front of the tongue. Mid-palate is met with a mild, white grape tartness along with some orange zest. However, it is in the finish where Midas Touch excels...the flavor (spicy, black tea-like) from the saffron comes in and dries out the sweetness with gentle precision. Being such a fan of Theobroma (also brewed with honey), Midas Touch is reminiscent of it sans the components from the chocolate and heat from the chilies. 5.0

M- Creamy and soft carbonation provides just enough to open the palate, but not enough to intrude on the delicate flavors at play. 4.5

O- Although I would certainly seek out a fresh bottle for a more accurate sensory experience (and am fortunate to learn this is a year-round offering), I am nothing but blown away by what I have sampled at just over a year old. As much as I have endorsed Theobroma and Sah'Tea in previous reviews, this now stands to be my second favorite (to Theobroma and just edging out Sah'Tea) in DFH's Ancient Ale series. As a matter of fact, this just might find its way into my top 20 (if not 10) beers of all-time. 4.5

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

2008 bottle. Amber color, mild head, fruity aroma. A balance of fruit, spice, and sweetness, with mild carbonation and medium body. Overall, a really nice, distinctive, balanced beer--nothing I would want a lot of or often, but a very nice experience.

4.46/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This unusual brew is a welcome alternative in the high ABV class. Pour it like a traditional Belgian, but don't expect the overt yeastiness. What awaits is more similar to a double lager: refreshing and gulpable with instant satiety. Notes of grape and honey permeate and bitterness lingers. The aroma is hard to place. Is it a similar smell or something altogether different? Ponder saffron as you drink with king Midas in the afterlife: this beer lives on and so must he.

4.29/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance
Small white foam head, clean amber, with a slight haze depending on the batch
Smell
Smells absolutely delicious of grapes, honey and a hint of alcohol
Taste
Wonderful taste of white grapes, honey, light bodied with a hint of alcohol on the finish
Overall
This was the first of the ancient ales I’ve had and I love it, its sweet, but not too much, the hints of alcohol are welcomed. I highly recommend this one for sure.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - poured into a goblet from a 12oz bottle. golden hue with a bit of haze. Really not much of a head at all, minimal lacing.

S - sweet floral scents with a spicy note to it. Perhaps a hint of the alcohol content.

T - honey flavor upfront and very sweet, bitter in the middle which lingers into the finish. Finish ends drier and the alcohol flavor come front and center.

M - very smooth and more viscous than most beers definitely converges toward a mead.

O - not unbalanced but the finish could be more agreeable. I've enjoyed some of the other ancient ales Dogfish has done - this one doesn't excite me very much however.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

I heard about this beer through Beer Advocate initially. The brewery is famous enough, so when I saw a 4-pack for sale I had to grab it.

Upon pouring from the bottle into a standard glass I could hear the sizzle of the carbonation, but it was not too fizzy, and left about a half-inch of foam. The foam did dissipate rather quickly as others have mentioned, but that's fine for me.

The beer did not really smell very strongly, if anything it smells like a light beer.

The taste, to me, almost hints at the taste of a tripel, but not quite. Definitely get a honey/grape flavor. Difficult to tell that its even a 9% ABV.

I think this beer was worth buying, I would get it on tap if I had the opportunity. I would suggest trying it once for sure to decide for yourself.

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle into wine glass (as recommended)

Appearance - Golden honey like color that is very transparent. Smaller head that settles quickly.

Smell - A pungent sweetness that immediately gets you thinking about the white grapes. Sweetness also from honey. Dry aroma from the saffron. Alcohol presence brings this ale very close to a white wine.

Taste - Sweet and fruity yet somewhat dry. Grape comes forth in the middle. The taste carries a pleasant bitterness that can be attributed to the saffron and comes forth toward the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium/high carbonation. Medium body yet very smooth. Has a champagne feel to it.

Overall - Good beer time and time again. A little different with high abv yet is incredibly refreshing that you almost forget.

4.24/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Golden with a white head.

S: Grape, malt, other fruits.

T: Same as the nose, definitely dominated by grape.

M: Medium bodied and smoothish.

O: I loved this beer the first time I had it. It was one of my favorites, but the last time I had it was more than a couple years ago. My notes are extremely minimal, and this was tried (I'm assuming) less than a hundred beers into my journey, when most of the beers I had tried were lagers.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Pale gold color with a fingers worth of head. The head rapidly disappeared with almost no lacing.

Smell- Sweet malt and grape aroma with a hint of saffron.

Taste- Similar to the nose with a touch of honey.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied, crisp, and dry. Light amount of fizzy carbonation.

Overall- Different and enjoyable. I'm sure if I would buy this again but it was kind of cool knowing that I'm drinking a beer brewed from an ancient recipe.

4.18/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle and drank from a chalice at ~50 F.

Appearance: Slightly pale golden-orange colour, with little head that dissipates quickly. Lots of suspended solids, some granular, some larger and yeasty.

Smell: Sweet, barley maltiness, combined with a delicious (and unique) dry champagne grape characteristic. Very small amount of hoppiness combined with strong scent of honey and herbal notes, very similar to Ethiopian Tej. Smells amazing.

Taste: Sweet biscuity maltiness, tempered with a little hop bitterness (much more bittering than aromatic). Lots of white or green grapes, quite sweet. Grape blends with a weak honey character. Definitely has a significant yeastiness to it, no surprise as it is quite unfiltered. Could be more complex. Nice grapey aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Leaves a strong sweetness in your mouth, like after too much candy. Some booziness. Nice and thick, viscous mouthfeel.

Overall: Very interesting beer, unlike any beer I've had before. Seems like a hybrid of mead, beer and champagne. Even though the taste could be a little more complex ideally, and the booziness and mouthfeel aren't quite up to the standards of the rest of the beer, it's fantastic. Smells AMAZING, and tastes quite excellent as well. Not to mention the *idea* of this beer is really awesome. Will be picking up again, highly recommended.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Overall a very solid beer, I have had it a few times, though have yet to find it on tap. The head fades rather quickly and leaves little lacing. Perhaps this is because I've only ever had bottled Midas Touch. The aroma is lightly spicy and even a little floral. Flavor-wise it is crisp and bright, but this is negated by the texture, which I've found clings a little too much and almost leaves my mouth feeling a little fuzzy.

At the end of the day, the idea of this beer (the recipe is partly a reverse-engineered ancient Mesopotamian recipe) is better than the beer itself, and for it's relatively high price there are equal or even better beers to be had. Still, it is worth a try. Or two. Or three.

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- This beer poured very smooth with a slight fizz. A healthy light golden color was seen with heavy sparkling carbonation within. The head shrank to a very small size soon after pouring but did not completely dissipate until the actual consuming of the beverage began.

S- The smell contained hints of several herbs and fruits.

T- This beer definitely has a hint of grape in it. The taste is very prominent.

M- Very nice mouthfeel.

O- Overall this is a great beer. I really loved the historical claim, whether its true or not. I will definitely be drinking this again.

4.02/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a crystal bright hay with a light head that fades quickly with decent lacing. Anyone who rates any of these ancient ales low on smell isn't paying attention. Grape forward, very floral and fruit similar to some of the whites from california. The nose gives way to barley and honey blended together in a complex aromatic together. The saffron isn't as visible on the nose for me. Immediately when tasting the honey and barley come together. On my palate, this is honey nut cheerios and it is awesome. The saffron is blended in well, and hardly noticeable as a direct spice. The grapes themselves make the backbone of the taste and lead it into a long finish. The mouthfeel is light with small bubbles and decent carbonation. Overall a very good beer.

2.86/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I saw this at my local store and thought it looked good. The description made it sound like the nectar of the gods but it was a hige let down. It looked decent when poured and smelled ok. Lots of grapes and sweetness. But the taste is what killed it. It tasted like grape flavored bud light. The mouthfeel was almost like water. I was severely disappointed.

3.46/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dogfish Head's Midas Touch, brewed with barley, honey, white muscat grapes, and saffron. 9% ABV.

A: This chalice works very well for this beer! In the narrow bottom, it's a clear, slightly greenish yellow. More honeyish above. Slight haze. Very thin head.

S: Lighter, yet present honey smell. Sweeter, white grape. A floral note of some kind (I'm guessing that's the saffron, but I've never had/used it before). Subtle spice.

T/MF: Very bubbly on the palate, but with far tinier bubbles than Champagne. Very dry. Floral and honey, mostly.

Not one I would go back to. I was expecting something a bit different.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, into a Petrus chalice.

3.74/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- a clear gold with a limited white head and slight lacing

S-slight malt, sweetness, and some spices

T- not traditional in any way. But some nice notes of honey and spice

M- thinner, a little crispness on the finish

O- worth trying at least once

3.81/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours well, it is an almost perfect honey color. Not much head, not highly carbonated, which is nice - this helps with the mouthfeel. The aroma is sweet and has strong notes of the saffron used to spice it. It tastes sweet at first but fades to a spiciness that finishes smoothly. Good overall flavor - sweet and spicy. Very malty.

3.96/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Aroma: orange zest, herbs, cinnamon, nutmeg and plum wine. Appearance: see through copper with a thin foam top. Taste: grape juice overtones with fairly complex notes of slick molasses, plums, figs, sweet orange peel, saffron, herbs, resinous hop oils and graham cracker malt base. Overall, this is a very interesting beer with a huge grape fruit juiciness to it. I can also taste the honey and it works well with the graham cracker tasting malts. Very unique beer. A rating.

4.03/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Dogfish Head Midas touch

appearance: orange amber, medium head, and some good lacing.

Smell: nice malts, sweet grape, and a nice sweetness.

Taste: bold bitter barley, thick honey-like syrup without the sweetness, and a light grape flavor.

Mouthfeel: thick but medium in body.

Overall:
This beer is just in your face bold and thick. While higher in alcohol content, it is masked decently. The flavors are strong. This is what I imagine a concentrated barleywine to taste like.

4.08/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

355ml bottle as a gift brought home from Virginia for me:
Medium amber & a small, bubbly white head on top that holds pretty well considering this is a 9% abv. beer.

Bitter and subdued at first but with a bit of effort the background sweetness, grapes and honey come through stronger thankfully. There is plenty of spice, some of which seems to linger a bit and this is followed by a solid malt smell and some caramel too.

Strong malts & caramel backing it up, honey plus a pinch of spice follow. Strong with some floral flavours coming into the mix as well.

Full bodied with medium to high carbonation & plenty of spice. Dry towards the end qith some alcohol but this is relatively well hidden.

Very nice again from Dogfish Head but nowhere near as good as their 90 Minute IPA which goes to show just how good that particular offering was. I enjoyed this one more and more as I worked my way down the glass, possibly due to the alcohol content but it was certainly a good beer.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery