Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Bubbleghost, Dec 21, 2012

Pecan, Dec 20, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

A – I definitely made a mistake in waiting so long to try this beer. I bought it about 6 months ago and just from the pour I can see that it must have lost some of it’s pop as the head only lasted for about a moment before receding to nothing. Still, there seems to be a steady carbonation flowing up from the bottom which I will not complain about. The body is a bronze/copper/gold mixture—saffron really—and at least it looks very fine.

S – The nose is certainly unique, much like the nature of this beer. The bottle actually outlines the flavors rather perfectly. Upon first inhale the thing that comes to the forefront is the white grapes (which is really the dominant scent), and you can certainly appreciate the honey and the barley. I’m not entirely sure what saffron smells like but I am getting a slight spicy element here so lets go ahead and call that saffron.

T – I must admit that my first impression is that I am a little disappointed. The flavor is basically a carbon copy of the nose, except that the fruity element lent by the white grape seems overripe now. This may be owing to the length of time that I waited to drink this but I’m not so sure. In any case, as I continue sipping I’m growing a bit more accustomed to it and can appreciate it a bit better. I think I needed to give my taste buds a moment to process what it was taking in, because now it is actually cool, light, refreshing and fruity—a vast improvement from my first sip. I’m still not bowled over by the flavor but I can respect it and just how unique it is. This is a brave undertaking by dogfish head and I award them my kudos (meager as it may be). Very cool that this was made with the ingredients found in the tomb of King Midas, I feel like I’m stepping into a time machine. It drinks somewhat like a desert wine but it certainly has enough beer-like qualities to achieve an interesting balance here. Unique, I will give it that, is this flavor overwhelmingly wonderful? No. It is pretty damn good though, if a little cloying towards the end.

M – The mouthfeel is impressive actually. It is full and opulent and yet it is not too thick or very sticky. It is very well executed and may be the highlight of the beer actually.

O – I think it’s very cool that I am able to drink a beer made with ingredients from King Midas’ 2,700 year old tomb, but that novelty will only get you so far. This is a very unique beer, and I’m glad to have drank it, but it is not outstanding really. Unique does not equal great unfortunately. Is this good? Absolutely. Do I recommend you try it? For sure. But know that I am not recommending this because I think it will knock your socks off, so much as because I think it’s cool, and definitely good. Just not great.

KKB, Dec 20, 2012

KDE, Dec 16, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

stoney1031, Dec 15, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +25.5%

I agree with those who say that this beer stands alone, without easy comparisons.

It's time machine back to a time before video poker, boxed wine or guys like Dick Cheney on Segways, so comparing it to big bland brother, or even all the various popular, hopped up or milky styles of craft ale springing up is a little like postulating what the world would look like if Nero had a Moog (synthesizer).

Aroma was breaded, not like Chicken fried anything, but more like that bakery on the Seal pier in San Francisco, where the sour dough is the star. Didn't really detect anything I'd call saffron, but haven't had much saffron to compare. And since it's 40 dollars per pinch, I guess I can guess why.

Tasting amounted to grapes balanced against other components, sort of like a strong, distinctive spiced sherry, sweetened back and well balanced or a sangria with citrus notes.

It's not overly spicy like the minced meat pie-fruit cake effect of Raison D'Etre, or done poorly with the ripple of another grape-beer cross over from the 70's, "Malt Duck", brought to you by National Brewing Company of Baltimore (the makers of Colt 45), and the first beverage that made me yack, and which kept me well away from hooch until my late teens.

Mouth-feel is what sets it apart from the glycerine dessert, sherry, ice wine iterations with a thicker, if course malty sensation that a stout may leave behind.

Overall, this is an extraordinary beverage, and one I'd order again. I'd like to see thicker head, and more saffron favor, but who am I, King Midas? Exactly.

Ethanol4one, Dec 14, 2012