Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,603 | Hads: 4,572
3.18/5  rDev -14.5%

12oz bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $4.05. Dated September, though no year is provided (I really wish DFH would start putting the year on their bottles).

Poured a hazy orange color, with a very small off-white head (after a vigorous pour). Not much lace to speak of.

Smell is slightly sweet the honey), slightly sour and winey (the muscat grapes), and very slightly spicy (presumably the saffron). It's all very mild smelling, bordering on bland.

Taste is much like the smell: only very mildly interesting. The honey flavor seems most dominant, with the white muscats providing a sourness to balance and not much else. Somewhere in the middle is a very slight spiciness. The finish is mildly dry.Not bad tasting, but not too memorable either. There's also an alcohol taste that gets more noticeable as the beer warms up.

This is a little bit heavier than one would suspect. I don't know if it is because of the honey or what, but based upon the flavor, I would have expected it to be more light bodied.

Not a bad beer to sip, but not particularly compelling either. At 9%abv, I don't think it would make a particularly good session brew.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: When poured into a tulip glass, this beer yields an off white head of 2" that has very good retention and finally settles to a thin lace upon the surface of the beer. The body is a pale golden color with a slight hue of amber.

Smell: This has a full nose of quite a few scents. Honey is the foremost, with some medicinal phenolic scents towards its end. I think subconciously I can also detect the white muscat grapes they list as ingredients. I will admit detecting a wine like aroma when inhaling deeply. Sort of like the sting of a cheap unoaked Chardonnay.

Taste: Different than other ales, this has a taste all its own. It has a decadent character that melds the astringency of white wine with the dryness and alcohol of say a Strong Pale Ale, which is then further complexed by the other obscure ingredients. The honey lends a strong sweetness, the saffron (which though potent, can't be practical) seems to hide below, only lending the slightest of its flavor. There's no denying the effect the white muscat grapes have on this. It's really unique, and I find it interesting to speculate on the 'recipe' it follows of a primitive beer-wine found in Egypt in the time of the Pharoahs. As always, DFH is different.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy or cloying, though is is rich and the alcohol (9%) is apparent. Very wine like, while retaining the distinct identity of a beer.

Drinkability: It's interesting enough to keep taking sips of as one decides what it is exactly that is being tasted. I couldn't imagine drinking a six pack, or even a four pack as DFH packages them. It's an interesting beer, or something close to beer. I'd reccommend everyone try one, so they can reference other obscure styles by it (gruit seems rather similar).

2.22/5  rDev -40.3%

I found this at One Stop Liquors in Johnson City, Tennessee, and had it shipped to Moscow via air freight. Arrived none the worse for wear, so I eagerly popped the cap on 11/29/04. The neck label features a thumb print, while the main label is quite plain, simply identifying this as an ancient ale made of barley, honey, muscat grapes and safron. Hmm...

Pours pale orange (shouldn't something named Midas be gold, at least?) under a very thin 1/3 finger off white head that fizzles as quickly as it forms. Purely from the appearance, it reminds me of some pretty bad Russian beers of the Zhigulovskoye line. The nose is, well, distinctive: grape and malt, with a touch of spice (I assume that's the safron) and slightly sour. These are not good images here. The mouth is very prickly and quite thick/heavy, presumably from the fruit juice. Taste? Oh my. Grapes and safron are definitely noticeable, sweet and sour, almost like grape juice on drugs. There's definitely malt here, and even a dash of coniferous hops that lends a dry bit element to the finish, but this tastes and feels much more like a mead than a beer. Not a very good mead either. Glad I got just one, as I couldn't bring myself to finish even that much.

4.52/5  rDev +21.5%

I was very much looking forward to this Dogfish offering, many good things I have heard. It poured with a big inconsistent head that was quick to dissipate and a beautiful amber body. The honey malt aroma is enticing to say the least. The mouthfeel is wonderfully smooth and seductive, leaves you yearning. The honey and saffron walz together on the palate in perfect fashion. From the mouthfeel to the finish is magnificent. A grape wine-like flavor kicks in while the taste buds continue to be pulled in several different directions. Absolutely a winner, what a beer!

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz. bottle, packaged in month 6 according to the notch. Pours a slighlty hazy orange, with a white thick head. The head disappeared almost immediately. Some tiny bubbles still coming from the bottom of the glass. Not much lace. Smells like a white wine. Grapes, slight spicy and earthy smell. Very sweet up front from the honey. As it warms, a bit more of the spicy flavors come out. Very thick on the palate, but fairly low carbonation. Not much bitterness here, mostly honey sweetness. An interesting experiment. Not something to have all of the time. Suffers in drinkability. Still, worht a try.

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

I picked up a single of the Midas Touch this evening. I had it out of a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a goblet. October was notched off on the label for a freshness date, but I couldn't find a year.

Unique aroma of grapes and sweet honey. I smelled some saffron and then smelled this beer. No question the saffron is a prominent feature in the scent of this brew.

Appearance is a cloudy orange color. Spotted sticky lacings on the sides of the glass.

Taste is nicely complex. Sparkling white grape juice with saffron and Sue-Bee honey flavors. Alcohol warmth is somewhere in between. Herbs and spices blend well in this creative beer.

Very drinkable at a respectable 9.0% ABV. Another winner from Dogfish Head.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

My first Dogfish Head brew and it surely surprised me. The concept alone is enough to keep me entertained. I'm starting to love these "experimental" brews.

Pours a nice golden color with a head that barely hangs around to say hello. Aroma is immdiately interesting. Strong honey aroma but i also detect a lot of that grape fruitiness with some faint spice sneaking up from behind. Taste is a marvel. A lot of grape flavor mixed with a bit of honey which is all backed up by a warm alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. I can only drink 1 bottle of this a night but I have a feeling I'll be coming back often as i always try to pick up a 4 pack when I head down to Jungle Jim's in Cincy.

4.46/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours hazy medium amber with very minute head that swirls around like a little galaxy in your goblet (if you're using a goblet). Immediately, the intense smells of honey and spice emanate from the brew. Very nice and sweet! Taste did not match the smell. Even still, mainly honey and grapes are maintained in the taste along with some spice (I assume is saffron from the label). It is very sweet for a beer, seems a bit meadish to me (which I greatly enjoy). Mouthfeel is very nice, creamy, and consistent. A pleasure to drink. But, I could barely finish one, let alone have another. It's a bit too intense for just slugging down a few.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: A quickly eroding head that leaves little remnants of lacing around the maple colored substance.

Smell: Notable honey and ester tones followed by alcohol.

Taste: Wow is this beer complex. Honey and fruit followed by syrupy alcohol tingling.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The carbonation helps diffuse the syrupy feel increasing the beers drinkability. This beers honey syrup notes mimic the characteristics of a Barleywine’s malt character.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

The beer pours a clear golden color with about a finger and a half of head that drops quickly to cover the beer with a nice ring around the top. I can really smell the honey and the grape in the nose, sweet from the honey and spicy from the grape. There is definately more of a honey flavor that I expected from the nose. It overpowers the grape easily, leaving me wanting a bit more. As I let the beer warm, the honey falls to the back and the spicy grape comes through more. Much better. The beer is nice and thick in my mouth, but the honey is again what dominates the mouthfeel. I'm just not that crazy about this much honey outside of a mead. I don't think I would want to have a full big bottle of this or a full 4 pack. I'm glad I went with the single 12oz-er. I think this is a beer worth trying once, but much more than that is probably overkill.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a hazy copper-gold, topped with a three finger rocky off-white head, leaves webs of lacing.
Fruity grape and honey aroma. Floral note, but really strong wine-like grapes mostly. It smells a lot better than it tastes. Fruit flower blossoms, like an apple tree.
Fruity grape and honey taste, very sweet, gets cloying, peppery alcohol bite. Honey comes on stronger with warming.
Medium bodied. Weird but interesting for awhile, nice to try but I wouldn't get it again.

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

One of the goodies I dug up in a recent beerarchaeological exploration of Providence, RI. I didn't know quite what I was looking at when I found it, and had to return to the lab for closer analysis.

Examination of the bottle revealed a thin dusty coating, and some tearing at the corners of the (surprisingly modern-looking) label. This had gone undiscovered for a while.

Imagine my pleasant surprise when I discovered the vessel had an opening which, upon release, yielded something not entirely unlike beer!

It wasn't entirely *like* beer either, mind you. The liquid was a slightly hazed orange in color, with a very thin off white head. This had me fooled for a while, but the head soon dissipated into nothingness, and searched in vain for reinforcements from the scant carbonation.

The aroma was markedly different from most other samples of the sort: dominated by a honey sweetness with slight hints of grape lending a slight tang to the edges. Hmm... Dare I taste it?

Perhaps it was the largeish bottle, or the appearance of age playing tricks on my mind, but the first sip struck me as fairly...winey. The honey of the aroma was still present, as was the grape-skin, now lending a mild acidity to the finish. Alcohol is evidently present, albeit in apparently mild form, contributing some spicy esters at the finish.

The carbonation is felt more than it is seen, and helps to cut the sweetness of the "beer." The acidity of the grapes and the alcohol contribute to a fairly dry finish.

I ended the day quite pleased with my find. This was, I will admit, not the easiest thing in the world to drink 750 ml of by one's self. But no one ever said science was going to be easy...

2.74/5  rDev -26.3%

Clear orange with a substantial cap of white foam. Head fades rapidly and leaves just a touch of head. Aroma is sickly sweet with a spicy, herbal note. Flavor is sweet and all the ingredients make an appearance. Mouthfeel is good, but sadly the flavor is really unbearable. I really wanted to like this beer because the concept is beyond cool. Sadly it seems there is a reason the recipe was lost for thousands(?) of years.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Off-white head that dissipates rather quickly. Light orange/golden color, that looks to be a bit watery. A nice lacing pattern but doesn't hold well.

A raisin/date/apricot? sweetness with an abundance of alcohol aroma. A spiciness that cuts into the fruit flavor.

Sweet raisin honiness with a nice nutty quality at the end. Very carbonated accompanying the wide variety of flavors. Raisin, almond, date and a nice spiciness that is balanced well with the honey sweetness.

Although the variety of flavors are balanced well, the alcohol component unfortunately is not. The 9%abv drowns out the flavors of the ale. It would have been nicer to keep the high abv with the other tastes being more flavorful. All in all a bit unbalanced.

A bit too sweet considering the 9% abv. I just can't see drinking more than one in a night, but that's not stopping me for giving dogfishhead the nod for such a creative concoction. I would definitely recommend this just based on the uniqueness.

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%

This beer would have been served to royalty. I'm not going to say that this is *that* superb that it's fit for kings. But conceptually, this is a very experiential, regally flavored beer. Lots of flavor, lots of aroma, lots of oomph.

A bit hazy. Melon orange and rich, dark gold in color. Intense spiciness. Incredibly aromatic -- floral, honey, golden raisins (wrong DFH beer, I know; but it's there, I'm sure of it), and pulverized, dilluted plum skin lending a mouth-wateringly unripe sort of fragrance. Definitely alcoholic. A big sweetness. Honey and exotic spices. I suppose that characteristic aroma and flavor I can't put my finger on might be the saffron that this is brewed with. Very much a sensory overload sort of beer. Sheer experimentation. While not all that subtle, it's fascinating stuff.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Plopped this DFH into a chalice to see what gives. A gorgeous misty peach hued pour with a scant head coating and tiny bubbles rising endlessly. A bit 'o clinging lace sticks here and there. Bottled-on notch indicates Oct 2003.

Mixed fruit scents that are, according to the label, honey, white grapes and saffron. I detect champagne like nose that smells of green apples, barnyard hay and celery. Bright nose. Almost gueze notes.

Bitter twinged flavor that puckers me mouth plenty. Yeasty sour white grapes rule then roost here. I am wrestling with this flavor. Mostly sour apple with spices. Driest of the dry aftertastes. Absolutely no hints of the 9% awl-kee-hawl content, even through the long 20 minute warmed up session. The bitter end warmed up with tons of honey & malts. Where did this come from?

Tons of tongue sizzle that result from the high ABV and grape body.

Can't say that this has high drinkability because of high 9.0% ABV and unique palate twists.

Last swigs: Interesting mixed flavor perplexed my best tasting efforts that garnered a generous 4/5. A mixed style taste in this "Ancient Ale" that has spice and sparkle. Reminds me heavily of DFH Au Currant with more spicy sizzle. Not sure if this is a good celler beer, but we are going to find out. A totally recomended beer for the adventure seeker.

Beer is good. Happy strong spicey beering.

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%

Had this is a 12 oz. bottle, and I was dying to try it because of the history behind it.

It poured a deep hazy yellow color, almost shading to orange. I bought it at room temp, and chilled it lightly in an ice bucket at the hotel I was staying at. Just laid it atop the ice, didn't immerse it because I didn't want to soak the label, and since the ancient didn't have refrigeration, I wanted to recreate the experience pretty closely.

It basically smelled like a white wine to me. There were hints of honey, but no maltiness came through the wine aroma.

I must say that I didn't like it much at first. It was highly carbonated and spicy , shifting quickly to a white wine taste, which then slowly faded to a honey and malt finish. But as it warmed in my hand,it mellowed and grew on me. Still not a beer that I would drink regularly, not at $3.75/bottle, but one that I would bring out for special occasions with a few fellow beer lovers.

Definately worth trying, both because of the history, and because it's so out of the ordinary.

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

Note: 12oz bottle from new 4 packs.

An opaque pale brown with slight carbonation, and no head/lacing of the glass.

Sweet and grapey, reminiscent of some wines (probably due to the presence of muscat grapes in this concoction).

I've had this beer in a 750 mL bottle for 2 years now, but have been afraid to open it, because they weren't making it anymore, so I was ecstatic to these in a 4 pack that could be easily sampled with no guilt. I have to say this is some intriguing brew.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

This pleasant historical recreation pours golden and forms little head. the grape and grain aroma is interesting but not all that exciting. I really enjoyed the flavors mingling mead and wine as there were string grassy notes, grape skin and dry wine flavors - all brought together with diacetyl. There is an alcohol presence giving the beer a light and dry mouth feel. It's enjoyable, and drinkable - but not something that I would routinely pour for my self. I would break it out at dinner parties.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Orangey copper color with a thin white head that starts out low and quickly drops. Very clear, with thin rows of tiny bubbles rising up. Aroma is light, consisting of hops and honey. Mouthfeel is full and creamy, with a little tingle toward the back of the tongue. Flavor is semi-sweet, with notes of corn and honey, and a bit of butterscotch. Some white wine notes in the finish, probably from the muscat grapes, but not too overpowering. A sweet malt flavor lingers. Not as complex as I hoped, but it gets better as it warms. Even so, there's a part of me that can't help thinking that this tastes a little like Budweiser with sugar added.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

I picked this up at Barley's Taproom and Pizzaria in Knoxville, TN. The pour was yellow with a one half inch head. The head quickly dissapated to a light ring that didn't stick to the sides of the glass.

The smell was sweet with a strong grape if not a wine overtone.

The taste was more like that of mead than beer. The start was that of wine with a just a hint of honey. The finish was a mix of sweet and sour grapes. Absolutely no hops here!

It wasn't a bad drink, just not what I expected. Quite refreshing, makes a great dessert.

Pours to a cloudy amber, forming a small rocky white head with decent retention and minimal lacing. Carbonation is mild, and took a hefty pour to conjur any head at all. Head quickly fizzled to a well-retaining thin layer of sticky bubbles. Aroma is interesting...foremostly mead with the stinky shoes character, a suggestion of hops, lightly yet wildly fermented grape juice, malt and a floral perfume, but not saffron. I truly wonder how many people would have saffron mentioned in their review if it wasn't printed on the label, because I'm not picking any up at all. Mouthfeel is syrupy and cloying with a dense body and a ruddy oiliness upon the back of the tongue. Taste begins phenolic, is very sweet, a hint of fusels, hefty lingering syrupy pale malts, grape booze (MadDog 20/20?), port, laquer bite in the aftertaste from the fusels. The aftertaste is sweet and alcoholic. Warming.

Not very good in my book. An interesting brew, but thank god for hops. The mouthfeel is sickening and urges me not to finish this bottle. But I must, I must, for the love of the beer gods. I would only ever drink this with another beer geek. Big does not equal better.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

It is difficult to pigeon hole this beer in a specific style. It is interesting in that it has a little bit of everything. It has an orange gold color with a slight haze. The aroma is fruity, winey, perfumey and the saffron is evident. The body is coating, almost syruppy with some grape and malt character evident. It finishes with a slight spice. Not bad. It is different from anything that I have ever had. I'm not sure there are many occasions to drink this beer/mead/wine, but it is something that I'm glad I tried.

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a golden orange color with a spotty head. No lacing with this one. No visible carbonation. The aroma is strong with sweetness. The flavor is of malt, grapes, citrus, and honey. Definitely sweet with no bitterness at all. Alcohol is definitely noticeable.

The mouthfeel is of thick malt and is slightly syrupy. Slightly dry aftertaste that has a mild citrus bite. Very unique brew, and I definitely want to try this again.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

large champagne bottle, with cork and cage. Pours cloudy orange/golden. Nice nose of fruit, wine, raisins. Lovely soft flavors of fruit, wine, grapes, spice,pepper. Buttery mouthfeel, tastes similar to a saison to me. with the spice and earthyness of the flavors. Interesting beer. Vinious notes, grape skins etc. Dogfishhead continues to amaze. Innovaters and risk takers. Try their beers, visit their locations and be thankful for em!

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery