Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a bottle into a sam adams beer glass

golden yellow color, with a nice white head that lingers slightly in the glass, lively carbonation, sweet almost raisin like taste, dry finish that makes you want to take another drink

overall a good beer, don't think you want to drink a bunch in a row but great as an occasional treat

shoude, Dec 03, 2009

Pours a hazy light orange with a thin white head that lingers but does not leave any lace.

Floral aroma with grape and light jasmine notes.

Sweet crisp flavor of honey and grapes. This is almost like sparkling grape juice but then the port-like qualities overcome the carbonation. This is warming and spicy. The aftertaste has bits of white pepper and a zesty overall character.

Leans more towards wine but this is a treat. I would expect nothing less from Sam and Dogfish head.

stewart124, Dec 01, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +8%

Deep reddish amber with a white 1/2 inch head.

Smell is a light fruity maltiness with some sweet honey in the background.

Tastes of sweet honey and fruit maltiness up front with a touch of grape and some warming alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-heavy bodied with medium carbonation and and a silky creamy texture.

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had. It contains many taste elements that you would expect to find in a wine, but it's still unmistakably a beer. Very interesting all around, and a great beer, but it'd be tough to have too many of these in a row because of the sweetness and high ABV.

advill88, Nov 30, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

Single bottle (brewed in 2009 date) poured into a tumbler glass. The white foam died back pretty quickly to form a thin foam layer across the top that didn't persist too much - some thin foam here and there. A nice truly golden color, slightly cloudy.

Smell is honey and grapes, I detect nothing else. Still, it's an appealing smell.

Taste - well it reminds me of Tej (Ethiopian Honey wine) since the honey comes through first, followed by grapes with a bitter and slightly earthy finish. At times the finish is also accompanied by an alcohol taste (as I guess it should at 9%). It's interesting but it isn't growing on me.

Mouthfeel - lots of carbonation on the tongue, otherwise a little bit...clinging like one would expect of something with honey in it.

Drinkability - at 9%ABV it's not something I could find myself drinking a lot of, and since the flavor isn't growing on me I think this is one of those experience beers. You have it once because it's interesting, but not because it's outstanding and everyone says you should try it. Still, no regrets - I'm glad I tried it but I can't see myself getting it again.

damndirtyape, Nov 27, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

A- light, loud, and fizzy off white head with a yellowish tint. blazing hazy saffron golden color with some floating particles. foam becomes rather creamy as it settles to a thick disk, leaving a patch of lace on the opposite side of the glass from which i'm drinking, that can best be described as a profile of don king's hair.

S- the aroma of pale malted barley is accompanied by fuel-like yet floral scuppernong grape aroma, some floral alcohol, prominent honey, dried grass, hay, banana, honeydew, and papaya, just as suggested by DFH's website. creamy smelling, possibly from the honey, extreme fruity and floral aroma from the added ingredients.

T- very sweet and wine like in flavor (not body) until the barley and mild bitter flavors kick in. i'm assuming there's no hops in here and that any bitterness is attributed to the saffron. honey and the distinct flavor of muscat grapes are highlighted here, and the flavor profile is similar to a moscato d'asti, though without any tartness. papaya, melon, and mango are the comparable flavors, and the whole fresh green skin of the muscat grape is tasted on the full surface of the tongue at the finish. before then, the honey flavors are too strong to really let the raw grapes shine. i really enjoy the seamless transition from beer flavor to wine flavor and i'm glad the honey cuts out when it does or else the overbearing sweetness might ruin this one for me. goes something like honey and grassy > grainy and herbal > sweet and fruity > green, grapey, and fruit skin with a touch of honey. finishes sweet and residual but not cloying as i feared it may be.

MF- soft, creamy, and slippery, but a bit sticky on the lips. carbonation is tuned down and very tight, and i feel any more than that would be too overbearing for the complex flavors of this beer/honey wine.

D- subtle nuances captivate me as i drink, as if forever chasing that fleeting bit of fresh grape that briefly visits my taste buds. the rest of it seems only to work in conjunction with that moment. not necessarily a wine lover, but in a grain based beverage it is a welcome treat. though there's some alcohol smell and flavor, in the overall experience it isn't all that noticeable, and this golden elixir disappears quickly. as with many big beers i've had lately this one is used for enjoyment and not thirst, but a second wouldn't be out of the question. and for the herbed beer category, this is definitely a good one from america.

hustlesworth, Nov 27, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -8%

12oz blind tasting - thanks Ken!

Poured golden with a thin white head that left no lacing. Aromas were fruity with a mild herbal hop aroma; also somewhat funky. Tastes of sweet apple and grape cover the palate with fruity notes of apricot and peach as well. Herbal hops with spice provide some balance to the malty sweetness. Finishes with a prickle of white pepper on the tongue. Mouth-feel was thin with moderate carbonation. At first I didn't like this at all, but also didn't know what it was. As I became accustomed to the odd flavors, I seemed to enjoy it more. The ABV surprised me as it is noticeable, but also well concealed.

barnzy78, Nov 26, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

Served in a pint glass. It's a clear light golden and effervescent. The head is white and thin, but sticks around and leaves some nice lacing.

The aroma is interesting, definitely unique. A little like red wine, some sweetness and some alcohol. Flavor is sweet but the malt is in the background. There are some wine like flavors and some spiciness. There's also something weird going on that I can't quite place. I like it a lot more at the end of the bottle than the beginning.

The carbonation is high and there is a bit of a syrupy consistency in the finish. It's fairly drinkable.

mjaskula, Nov 26, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

A - Pours a light gold, minimal head, minimal lace.

S - This is a sweet smelling beer, honey, grapes, caramel malt. Also smells a little herbal & peppery. I can also get a little bit of the 9% abv. I like the nose.

T - Lots of malt, then the grapes and honey hit you. The alcohol is noticeable as well. Really swet overall, it's definitely got some wine characteristics. interesting indeed, but I was expecting a little more from the taste given the nose.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation, smooth and creamy.

D - I kind of expected that I wouldn't like this, but I was pleasantly surprised. Different for sure, but highly recommended.

Dawkfan, Nov 20, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out an amber color, with a little orange. Very similar in color to honey. It has a very thin head despite being heavily carbonated and it dissipates quickly appearing to leave behind no lacing.

The aroma is a little flowery, with the grapes coming through clearly along with some of the alcohol. The aroma is very sweet and very pleasant.

As for the taste, I have to say that I really like this one! With so much carbonation, I expected the front end to lack flavor but I was wrong. I get a little alcohol flavor up front along with some grapes. Its very sweet but not too sweet and it has a very pleasant finish. When the beer has gone down, I'm left with a light grape flavor in my mouth. As it warms up, it tastes a bit more like white wine. Surprisingly, I really like this. I'm typically not a big fan of grape flavors in beer but this one does it for me. The only downfall is the complete lack of bitterness.

The drinkability on this is a little weak. As it warms up, the alcohol comes out a bit too much and the sweetness leads me to sip it like I'd sip a wine rather than drink it like I'd drink a beer.

Overall, I doubt I'll be getting this one again. Its a good beer and I think everyone should try it (it'd especially make a good beer for those who like wine). Its interesting just to try something that people drank thousands of years ago to get in touch with your humanity.

SkunkWorks, Nov 17, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

Another interesting one from Dogfish Head. This was bottled in December 2008.

A) Poured wheat-colored but settled into a cloudy orange. Minimal lacing and low carbonation.

S) Nice. Mild sweetness, the honey stood out. Then spices and grapes, and alcohol as it warmed.

T) Pretty complex. Like the smell, it started sweet (honey) - then spices stood out, along with some bread - then grapes, dark fruit -- and alcohol, ended bitter.

MF) Medium and kind of flat.

D) Not very good. I didn't really enjoy this, although the idea and theory of the beer is interesting. The taste was okay, but the alcohol was too present. Not my cup of tea or beer. But props to DFH for doin something else unique.

sophisticated, Nov 14, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

Intrigued by this particular beer, currently reading Brewing Up a Business by Sam Calagione, the founder and operator of Dogfish Head Brewery.

This beer is referenced multiple times in the book. I am a fan of unusual beers. I love to use out of the box flavors in my brewing and found this beer to be a nice surprise.

Not sure it was worth the 13 bucks I paid for the 4 pack, but to say I had it... whatever.

Not your everyday beer, but worth a try.

srkeefe, Nov 12, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

another Ancient Ale from Dogfish

Poured a yellow/wheat color straight down the center of a 16oz pint glass. Not all that carbonated with on finger of white head after one smooth pour.

Sents of phenol and honey start out and after a taste the spices (saffron) becomes aparent. The harsh alcohol comes on strong and the sweetness of honey as well.

Mouthfeel slight bitter with a harshness that hopefully will receed with a bit of cellaring. Drinkability is low due to the harshness of the flavours.

ImusBeer, Nov 11, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My husband and I usually have the same reaction the majority of the time when it comes to beer that we enjoy. This is not the case when it comes to Dogfish Head's Midas Touch Golden Elixir. It's a Herbed/Spice Beer, 9% ABV, and is made with barley, white muscat grapes, honey and saffron. The recipe dates back to a residue found in a jar during the funeral feast of King Midas. It is rather expensive for a beer, clocking in at $10 for a 4 pack of 12oz, which definitely adds to my husband's dislike of this beer.

I, on the other hand, became more found of it the longer I drank it. I found it to be fantastic for those who prefer wine, or who are just new to trying beer. I wouldn't classify it as a beer but more of a beer-mead blend. Personally, I am not too found of mead myself, as it is just too sweet for my taste, being made with honey. However, I found this golden elixir to be just what it claims to be- an elixir. It would be the perfect celebratory drink in place of champagne.

My first glance, the color, a golden effervescent amber seemed to be almost glowing in the light. The smell was very pretty, floral with a light honey, sweet grape juice and a tinge of alcohol.

My first sip, was a bit disappointing, the taste seemed a bit light to match the amazing aroma of this beer as well as the alcohol content of 9%. However, with each sip, the flavors grew and the sweetness of the honey and white muscat grapes came out sweeter and sweeter while the saffron perfectly balanced it before it became too sweet. It became much more alive and enjoyable as I drank it.

I think this beer gets a bad rap because people are thinking of it as a beer and not looking at it for what it actually is-an elixir that feels more like a wine than a beer. It feels like the anticipation of a first kiss that is so gentle and sweet but leaves you wanting more. Or that first chill of fall in the air. It feels like a perfect harvest drink.

Personally, I think women would enjoy this beer for its refined taste and celebratory qualities. This beer would pair perfectly with goat cheese and I am just dying to try some with it. This would even work as a dessert beer paired with something light and sweet or nutty. This would be perfect to share with your girlfriends.
Granted at $10 a 4 pack, it shouldn't be your every day run of the mill drinking beer. This beer is meant to be enjoyed and savored.
Perhaps women do have more of a refined palate...

femALEist, Nov 11, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottle to pint

A: Orange - like a wheat beer, but not cloudy. Minimal head that fades into a thin layer of white bubbles on top.

S: fruity, slight white wine.

T: Fruits - especially grapes. Slight honey sweetness. Alcohol on the end right before more grapes.

M: Bubbles

D: Interesting, well made, but not one I could drink all night. Try it out for yourself. An interesting "Specialty" beer.

biophiliadude, Nov 10, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

a: pours a nice deep honey colored gold with a bit of light colored head...

s: the sweetness of the grapes is the most impressive piece of the aroma, an almost currant-like

t: spicy and sweet, the barley character also presents itself clearly in the secondary

m: dry with slightly acidic carbonation but not overbearing

d: i like it! i've had this alone and also with a burger at the Grease Bar in West Palm Beach; alone it's great, but with a meal it was bombastic :=)

salud!

sirdrinkwell, Nov 10, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +4%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a honey-gold color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of sweet grapes - like sugar-coated scuppernongs - with good amounts of honey. As it warms the sweetness subsides just a bit.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sticky honey flavors up front are quickly joined by sugar-coated American grape flavors. The sweetness is just short of cloying and the ending is on the sweeter side.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass however I'm not sure I want another.

Overall this is certainly a distinguised beer however I'm not sure if a general beer drinker had this they would identify it as beer as much as they would carbonated mead. Worth a shot for the novelty.

glid02, Nov 03, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

I picked this up at Cork and Bottle while I was picking up comic books.

Appearance- golden amber color, little to no head

Smell- grape aroma

Taste- grape flavor

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, smooth

Drinkability- ok I would probably drink it again but I think they have done better with other beers though.

jeffjeff1, Nov 02, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -13.4%

A- Pours a golden hue with little to no head.

S- Honey, sweet berries and a tinge of metal.

T- Sweet honey, grape cough syrup and a semi bitter finish.

M- Thick with medium carbonation.

D- Did not enjoy this one very much. A little too medicinal for me.

Lothore, Nov 01, 2009
1.53/5  rDev -59%

Not my kind of beer. It's not drinkable beer. I have hard time to finish the bottle. there is something that holds me back. i don't know even what is that. simply it's not smooth. I had enough of this beer. i don't think I'll order it again. good job Nina!!!!

vidisad, Oct 31, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +28.2%

Appearance- Pours into my dogfish head shaped pint glass a beautiful amber color; About a finger's worth of light head.
Smell- sweet smell of grapes
Taste- sweet grape taste;
Mouthfeel- Carbonation at first, smooth,
Drinkability- Great, Good beer with a different taste.

mcann2pu, Oct 27, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass, paired with a goat cheese, pepperoni and sun-dried tomato pizza. have had this beer several times before, first time reviewing it.

A: hazy orange/amber color. about a finger of solid foam that sticks around for awhile. very little lacing.

S: honey and sweet grapes. a bit of caramel malt as it warms, but just a hint.

T: definitely an interesting taste. the grapes really stand out in this one, very much like a sweet dessert wine (I guess that must be the muscat grapes). there's just enough malt to to balance out the sweetness though, otherwise it would be a bit much.

M: a bit carbonated at first, but it grows on you. nice and smooth, medium body with a ton of flavor, though with very little aftertaste. the flavors settle pretty quickly.

D: Midas Touch is a nice break from the norm. one or two of these at a time is about it though. great beer to bring to a dinner party- at the very least it's a pretty good conversation piece.

jhoban19, Oct 27, 2009
3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brilliant gold with an average head and minimal spotty lacing. Nose is interesting - kind of a green grape scent with honey. To be honest, my first instinct was that it smells like wet hair in a barber shop. Taste, fortunately is nothing at all like wet hair - spicy, sweet and hints of honey. Medium bodied and a bit too much carbonation. Alcohol leaves a noticeable burn. Driankability is decent - a sipper. Good beer, but kind of a disappointment.

Mavajo, Oct 23, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Poured with a small, white head that eventually dissipated to a 1/4-finger size. Body is mostly clear with a slight amount of haze, and a yellowish-orangish color.

S: Interesting aroma of spices, with the pepper being the one that mainly comes through to me.

T: Well, as usual for DFH, the first thing that comes to mind is, "THAT'S an interesting beer". Different, for sure. Lots of sweetness with honey and spices, and a bit of an alcohol bite at the finish. Average duration.

M: Light-to-medium bodied with an oily type of texture, and average carbonation.

D: I can't say I didn't like it, and it was great to try it... but this isn't something I'd want to drink all the time. Definitely something cool to bring out for others to try.

berley31, Oct 22, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Served into a duvel tulip glass at about 40 degrees.
appearance - shows a golden honey in the glass with a white, lacey froth
smell - Some tropical fruit, slight flowers, definite honey - very pretty nose.
taste - Honey, cantalop, tropical fruit, light barley....very smooth for 9% abv. medium finish.
drinkability - There is definitely a right place and time for this brew. However, this is a fantastic beer with a great story and a uniqueness that cannot be matched. I waited 2 years to try this beer...a mistake that I won't make again.

BevMoAndrew, Oct 22, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

It pours a nice amber-orange color with about a finger's worth of white head, which quickly dissipates to a thin ring around the edge of the glass.

Taking a whiff of the beer reviles grapes, honey, and some spice. Lightly roasted malt aroma with some caramel notes and very earthy tones.

When you take a sip you can taste the grapes and malts. It finishes with a sweet aftertaste from the honey, but not overly sweet, just a touch, which goes well with the grapes. There is a nice blend of spices and herbs, which compliment the malts and barley.

The beer is surprisingly not that hard to drink, considering the high alcohol content. It is enjoyable and refreshing. Dogfish head continues to live up to its slogan as the most creative brewery.

jamescain, Oct 21, 2009