Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, purple label with a big fingerprint. ABV is listed, there is a spot to notch or mark the year produced, but it isn't marked in any way.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color, there was quite a bit of sediment on the bottom but I decided to leave it, it looked a bit chunkier than I wanted to pour in. Almost no head.

Smell: The first sniff (combined with the look of it) almost comes across as apple cider. Then the honey comes across, definitely smells a bit like mead. Certainly wouldn't think beer if you put a glass of this in front of me without an explanation.

Taste: That same cider comes through in the flavor - with the fermented honey taste backing it up. There is a bit of a vinuous taste that does remind me of a thick dessert muscat wine.

Overall impression: Interesting - certainly pushing the definition of beer. Not something I would want much of, but its an interesting thing to try with a nice depth of flavors.

2.42/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours a deep, clear orange with a thin head. The head recedes quickly and it leaves some spotty lacing.

It smells kind of awful, like cheap beer and grapes--I'm getting nothing pleasant here.

The flavor is overpowered with grapes, spice, and sweetness. There's also a mild taste of floral honey in there somewhere. It feels a little thick and a little cloying. The grape skin aftertaste lingers on the tongue and can't be washed away with water or cigarettes.

With too much grape and the high ABV, it's not very drinkable. Interesting, yes, but very hard to drink.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance - Pours a brilliant, clear honey with a thick one-finger head and little lacing.
Smell - Grape, honey and some malt.
Taste - Honey and both sweetness and an acidic twang from the grapes. Punctuated by a dry finish.
Mouthfeel - Medium body with moderate carbonation and a smooth mouthfeel.
Drinkability - Good, but quite sweet. The 9% alcohol is masked incredibly well, the limiting factor of this beer is the sweetness. I can't imagine sessioning it.
Overall - A cool change of pace, but not something I see myself having many times in the future.

3.43/5  rDev -8%

A- Pours a clear light gold color with a good fluffy off-white head and leaves some spots of lacing here and there.

S- Smells of sweet apples, grapes, honey, touch of cut grass. Some similarities to a riesling or another type of wine my wife drinks.

T- Clean and crisp up front, with cereal grains dominating the taste, but I can clearly taste the grape and honey notes just like the bottle says. Also pretty sweet, but something seems to give it just a slight bitter note in the end. I couldn't pick up on any alcohol.

M- Medium in body and nice carbonation.

D- Interesting brew for sure and worth a try for sure.

1.75/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Chardonay.
Smell: Vinous. Sour apples, yeasty funk.
Taste: Grapes, dill pickles, must.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, no carbonation.
Drinkability: Boozy, sour, old-tasting. Decidedly not for me.
Verdict: This beer was made on a recipe based off of molecular analyzation of the residue inside flasks found in King Midas's tomb. I'm thankful we have come along so far in the millenia that have passed.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12 ounce brown bottle into a cervoise. "Bottled on" date of 12/11/08.

Hazy orange body with a thin off-white head. Smells fruity and herbal, like if someone blended a witbier and a tripel. The honey becomes slightly noticeable in the smell once the beer has had a chance to approach room temperature. Very herbal taste, definitely tastes like a tripel. The grapes are noticeable in the flavor, but they are in the background playing second fiddle to the tripel-like herbal character. Honey is listed as one of the ingredients, but I didn't taste the honey at first. Funny as it may be, I only tasted the honey once I burped. Mouthfeel is thicker than I expected it to be.

Overall this is a pretty good beer. Think of this as a spiced tripel and you'll know what to expect.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

I found this review just now while sorting through some old documents on my computer. I must have written it over the holidays when I didn't have internet access (December).

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Maudite snifter.

A- Midas Touch pours a clear golden color with a small white head the quickly dissipates.
S- Very interesting aroma. Overall the smell is sweet, with some tart fruits (grapes and sour apple). I think I smell honey, but that could be because I read it on the label, it's possible I would not have picked it out on my own.
T- The taste is really interesting, kind of champagne like. Very sweet, the fruits are there like in the smell but are not as tart as I expected. There is bready maltiness towards the end. You can really taste the alcohol as the beer warms.
M- One of the thinnest 9% beers I have ever had, low carbonation, the alcohol is warming.
D- The sweetness, not the alcohol content will prevent me from having another.

Once again I have nothing but respect for what DFH does. While I have tried a few of their beers that aren't my favorite, they always impress me by doing something different. I plan on buying a four pack of this soon to share with my friends at our next beer night because of how interesting it is, but beyond that I don't expect to buy it anytime again the in the future.

3.88/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled on 4/23/08.

True to its name, this elixir pours golden, with a small puff of white foam that fades rather quickly, leaving behind a few legs of lace on the sides of the glass.

The aroma is quite intriguing: The grapes come through into the nose, along with some honeyed sweetness and some odd spice that perhaps is imparted by the saffron used in the recipe.

Medium-bodied, with a rather unique palate that is like a mixture of wine and beer. Honey sweetness comes in up front, and a base of grain is apparent, but an odd flavor reminiscent of wine, likely from the grapes, and some belgian-like flavor characteristics come through, creating an overall sweet profile that is a tad cloying. Finishes a touch dry.

A little too sweet to be imminently drinkable, though extremely interesting, especially thanks to the lack of hops used in brewing. Certainly a curiosity that deserves to be examined, and probably a fairly decent approximation of what would have been enjoyed by those in Midas' time, albeit assuredly clearer and more refined than the unfiltered brews of the day. Certainly a good choice for wine-lovers.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

hate to just flat out rave about this one but i have to. it may not taste the best to everyone but it tastes like nothing ive had before or since. the history behind it is amazing and the fact that it only comes in a limited release and once a year makes me have to go and buy it as soon as i see it in stores. and at 9% abv it makes you feel like you are king midas.taste is only a little above average but everything else is an a plus.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

I have been wanting to try this beer ever since I had seen it on the history channel. Got this beer in the BIF 100% Satisfaction mday.

Poured into a pint glass at 46 degrees.

Appearance: A dark amber color with a hint of copper hues. There was a one finger head that dropped to a quarter inch ring. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is clear and brilliant.

Nose: A nice malted barley with honey sweetness. There is some Semillion wine aroma in this beer. Can smell the earth and sweetness of the grapes. There is some citrus and spice. Since I am cook I can kinda tell that the saffron is present in the beer. It is not a strong present but is is noticeable.

Taste: There is a nice malted barley with the honey sweetness. The muscat grapes lend to the flavor of this beer. There is a nice complex flavor in the beer. The grapes also lend a flavor profile to the beer.

Overall: The mouth feel is carbonated and creamy. The body of the beer is medium and the finish is light. This is an interesting beer it is not to bad. I rather enjoyed drinking this beer. I am glad the DFH resurrected this beer from beerdom.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Got this brew at a local Vendome. Pours a clear dark golden color with a small white head that dissipates quickly into thin lacing.

The aroma is pretty complex. Honey and pils malt are most prominent with spiciness and red grapes underneath. There is also a pervading floral/perfume-like scent.

The flavor is of honey-sweetened grains followed by a twangy, perfumey character, grapes, and finally a light bitterness that precedes a finish of sweet honey. You can't taste the alcohol, but it definitely has a warming effect.

Medium-light body, crisp carbonation, and a sweet finish.

This is a fairly drinkable brew, however I find it more enjoyable when savored. At 9% ABV, you wouldn't want to drink these too quickly anyway.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a pint glass, after having sat for about 6 months. I wasn't impressed with this fresh, but I also wasn't a reviewer back then. Very pale orange that is completely see through. Attached at the top is small white foamy head.

As I dip my nose into the glass, I get a bunch of sugary sweetness derived from sweet red grapes and a lot of honey. Doesn't smell completely malt based in an artificial way..

The body and feel is very thin. A little heat on the end that is preceded by dry astringent red grapes. The honey that is prevalent in the smell has seemed to disappear. This beer is still a little rough around the edges, but I'm assuming this is how the egyptians liked it way back when!

3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

A beautiful clear rich gold. But the head is a fleeting and unappetizing fizzy white finger that rises and falls like soda leaving no lace. Prominent trails of tiny bubbles show high carbonation.
Aroma is very sweet. Grapes, but not necessarily real grapes, but the thick sugar grape of flavored medicine. Heavy spice and a slap of alcohol.
Taste is difficult to pin down. The grape is in there, as a backbone. Some strange spiciness. The finish is light grape, malt sweetness, alcohol heat and astringency. The finish is the only place where "beer" struggles and finally comes.
Very light body with lots of fizzy, soda pop carbonation that accentuates the alcohol.

What a bizarro brew. Off-centered to the hilt and very confusing. I'm confused...

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

She pours a pretty golden orange sunset into the glass at around 50 degrees. 2008 bottling.
Moderate lacing with some lace around the edges to pretty things up.
Smells of grapes and barley, more grapes, a bit sweet. The saffron lingers in the background, but I still feel like its there. I have a hard time picking the honey out of the nose.
Not very well rounded, the sweetness comes from the grapes, but isn't balanced by the saffron, the beer needs some hopping up. It isn't overly sweet, just not balanced.
Very smooth on the tongue, little bitterness, good carbonation.
I could drink a couple of these, but probably wouldn't. Not quite as intense as I was expecting. A little bit bland. I do, however, love the experimentation and the historical refurbishings of DFH.

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a surprisingly clear dark golden with very little head.

Aroma is dry and fruity with notes of honey and apricots. Taste is...different. The honey is definitely a strong flavor. It has that dry, alcoholic punch that reminds me of mead. There is a vinous quality to it as well, with hints of grape.

Mouthfeel is medium and very dry. Drinkability is not that great. I can't see myself wanting more than one of these. I'm glad I got to try it, but I doubt I'd buy it again.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a rich golden color (made richer, presumably, by the saffron) with about two fingers of head. Looks very nice.

S- Starts with the malt, but finishes with a more subtle lemon and honey notes. Slightly acrid wine aroma as well.

T- Again, starts with the malt, and fades into the honey. Finishes dry with a light wine note. Sweet. The high ABV is masked very well. I appreciate the subtlety. The aftertaste is almost better than the actual beer though.

M- Light and carbonated--almost like a heavier champagne.

D- I could slug it down, but I wouldn't get any of the flavor. Maybe I'm just not in the mood, but I'm getting tired of this beer as I go on. It's good, but I would only have one.

Overall, this is an above-average beer. It's not exactly my style, but it's a nice change. I'm worried it's a little gimmicky, not my favorite Dogfish Head.

2.33/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured into a Stella chalice

A: Pours golden amber with a 1 finger white head that fades quickly. Steady steams of bubbles originate from the bottom.

N: Honey and grapes dominate the nose. Has a spicy character as well.

T: The grapes are overpowering. Has a spicy character I cannot quite put my finger on. Also get a slight floral taste similar to lilac. Alcohol bite is there from beginning to end. It warms as it goes down.

M: Crisp and clean. Goes down a little rough secondary to the heavy alcohol note.

D: Did not care much for this one. The beverage seems confused as to whether it is a beer or a wine. While I like experimental beers, this one just does not do it for me. I find this very similar in aroma and taste to DFH 2008 release of theobroma.

4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

From the banks of the Euphrates, via Delaware...

This beer pours a slightly hazy pale golden colour, very apple juice-esque, with a minimum of fizzy white head, that leaves no lacing. The smell blew me away - how on earth did they get my Mom's Concord grape juice popsicles' essence into this beer? Oh yeah, the Muscat grapes. Wow, this smells good - the barley malt becomes more evident, and the sweet grape recedes, as the beer warms. The taste has a sweet, herbal note at first, and then a fair dollop of field honey, with the malt backbone holding things up nicely. The carbonation is noticeable, but not detracting, and the significantly elevated alcohol appears only as a nice warming. It finishes dry, with the muscat sweetness pleasantly sticking around. A lovely and interesting beer, nice to point out the historical methods employed to make our favorite beverage.

4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

Picked this up in Totowa a few weeks back. Even though this was $3.29 a bottle, I heard good things about this and had yet to see a beer brewed like this. Needless to say, this was one of the best surprises that I've had in a long time!

This had a great pour - a nice frothy head, a deep and radiant ambue here, and very fine particles floating in it. The unfiltered look gave it a look like a lava lamp (with glitter) and just drew me in. Thankfully, the taste lived up to it's look! Lots of malt and honey in this, with a subtly strong alcoholic undertone to this. It reminded me a bit of mead - the few times I've drank it, it had a very earthy and preserved taste to it while attemping to throw me for a loop. This is no different, in that the hops aren't felt, it has a warming and soothing feeling, and it tastes quite ancient in origin. Thankfully, there's nothing that taste fake, articificial, or overdone about this beer.

As previously stated, this has quite a kick to it and almost taste like a strong belgian beer. It's not complex enough to fall under that category but then again, it doesn't have to. Take it for what it is - a nicely crafted spice beer with the most mellow of flavors in it. A surprise indeed!

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

As many have said, this is an interesting beer. Pours clear and golden, not much head really. Smell at first was bland and somewhat "macro-ish," almost like a warm bud light. Then, upon closer inspection, there is a strong sweetness to it along with some spice. I cant say I necessarily smelt honey, but it was sweet. Taste is pretty good. A strong malt backbone, very sweet, along with some grape and more sweetness. It was almost like a white grape juice with some added suger. It wasnt bad though. Mouthfeel was light, at first sip it was very crisp but as it warmed, it thickened some. Overall not a bad beer. Well worth a try and very good for a style I'm not all that fond of. And the high ABV is not detectable at all IMO.

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

4oz sample poured from a bottle at a DFH tasting.

L - 'golden' color with a good sized white head.

S - sweet malty smell with some alcohol.

T - sweet taste upfront, I can't pin down exact flavor but it's a fairly sweet brew with a little bitterness thrown in.

F - medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - it's different and worth a try.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

saw something on the history channel on beer about this, two years ago or so, and havent been able to forget about it. finally picked one up. real unique beer. looks, seems like a lager or pilsner. golden color with a nice white head that does stick around, but doesnt really do much on the glass. the smell is a nice honey and fruit ester tones. same with smell, let this beer warm up. i had one cold and it literally had nothing going on. i let it sit for a bit on the second, warm up, and the results were much, much better. tastes is very unique, lots of fruit again, grapes or raisins. lots of light flavors, similar to a lager. sweets like honeys, as well. unique, different, fun beer. definitely not one id expect to see on tap or on menus, not really one to have too much of.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a DFH stemmed goblet, the beer is a brilliantly clear light gold color with a good inch of fluffy off-white head. Nice lacing is apparent as the head recedes; lots of very fine carbonation streams up from the bottom.

S: This is a strange one... for an ale, it smells surprisingly like a continental pilsner to me. There's a slightly sweet cereal aroma, but not much else readily apparent.

T: Clean and crisp up front (again, like a lager) with cereal grains dominating the taste, but definite grape and honey notes show up late. The beer is mostly cloyingly sweet, but something seems to give it just a slight bitter note in the end. The lack of significant alcohol burn makes this one drink like a beer 2-3% lower ABV.

M: I think we need to replace Miller High Life as the "Chapmagne of Beers"! This is a light bodied beer with fine effervescence and, despite the sweetness, a relatively smooth finish.

D: With no overpowering notes, this is a pretty easy drinking beer. Don't let the alcohol creep up on you. This one packs a 9% wallop, but it's not readily evident.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Its hard to resist trying a beer made from ingredients identified via molecular analysis of residue found in flasks discovered in the tomb of THE King Midas. I mean, the guy knew a thing or two about the good life- he could turn stuff into gold with a touch of his hand. He must have had great beer, right? Could the Midas Touch turn mere beer into pure gold? I say Old Midas, and the fine folks at Dogfish Head, came pretty darn close

This beer pours into the glass a beautiful honey amber color, very clear, nice light head, leaving a modest foam ring on the glass (mine had minimal time in the fridge-later samples chilled longer had a slightly cloudy look, but the same honey color).

The smell is very floral, but not overly sweet. The white muscat grape scent wins the battle for your attention, followed closely by the scent of honey and barley.

Taste is complex but balanced- a robust, floral alcoholy taste greets your palate, but its not by any means overpowering. I definitely noted the muscat grapes and barley, with a touch of honey.

Moutfeel was very enjoyable. So many scents and tastes, strong alcohol taste/feel, but very well balanced, which was impressive. The swallow leaves a nice sensation on the tounge, and a pleasant aftertaste that doesn't ruin your palate. I knew I'd just had a very complex, flavorful beer, and I wanted more, if only for the chance to attempt to identifty all the flavors. This beer would be a treat for a more culitvated palate than my own. Theres a lot going here, and its all good.

Driakabilty was great. I found it smooth and tasty, but I do perfer slighty bigger beers with this level ABV. I did expect it to be a bit stronger, but I'm not complaining.

4.7/5  rDev +26%

12oz bottle into a tulip.

A - Pours a medium-dark orange-gold with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Streams of fine bubbles flow steadily from the bottom of the glass.

S - Aromatic and strongly perfumed. Honey and muscat grapes are both clearly present. The beer has a delicate, sweet aroma with floral highlights. Smells of violets and a garden in full bloom. Any signature of the malt is harder to discern; beneath the floral aromas of the adjuncts, there are hints of earthiness and toast.

T - More balanced on the palate than the nose would suggest. While its honey helps to dry it out a bit, the beer's muscat content contributes a telltale nectar-like quality. Some malt comes through in the middle, adding earthy and bready flavors to the mix. Bitterness seems to be at the barest threshold level - just enough to balance the sweetness of the grapes - and no hop flavor is evident.

M - Medium body with a very lush feel on the tongue - soft and silky.

D - This beer is what you make of it. If you expect the standard offering from most craft beers, then Midas Touch may disappoint. If, on the other hand, you enjoy both wine and beer and expect a weird hybrid of the two, you will probably enjoy what Dogfish Head has done here. This could easily stand in for Moscato d'Asti where a somewhat heavier offering is desired.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery