Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
4.57/5  rDev +22.5%

This one is unlike any I've ever had. The color is attractive, golden but not quite transparent. Sediment settles to the bottom of the glass. The smell is wonderful: honey, saffron, a faint whiff of grapes. The taste is what sold me. Sweet but not articially so. This is honey, not sugar. The grapes come through toward the end, and it finishes with a warm alcohol taste.

This is one of a kind and you won't find anything else like it on the market.

3.89/5  rDev +4.3%

Wow..way to go dogfish! Event an entirely new beert o the market and very successful. I think the reason that it isn't ranked higher is because they are comparing the beer to some of their favorites. This is an entirley different way to to look at beer all together and needs extra consideration because of the creativity it took to make this.

appearance: golden but zero head retention. hurt the score a lot

smell: hard to pick up but very spice, maybe a mint smell

taste: very spicy and with some fruit and raisin flavors. can't believe this is 9%. I could session this.

mouthfeel: super high carbonation like a champage when pouring but settles to a very thin beer

drinkability: an extremly easy drinkin because of how thin the consistency is.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

Opened a 12 oz bottle of this I bought in January down in Lewes, DE.

The first time I had this, was on tap at the Dogfish restaurant, but that was after many other beers, hence I saved my review.

Appearance: Light, orange color with a creamy white head. Good retention, minimal lacing.

Smell: Great aroma of grapes, honey, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: Great taste, the depth and complexity remind me more of a red wine than an ale. Fruity grape flavors with undertones of honey and spices, extremely enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium level of carbonation. Enjoyable, if a little syrupy.

Drinkability: I rated this average, simply because of the alcohol and the very complex flavors. Enjoyed perfectly after dinner, but probably would not have more than one or two glasses.

Overall, great, deep flavors combined with an awesome nose create a great Ancient Ale.

This bottle had cellared for 5 months, but I doubt this had much of an effect.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

pours a cloudy light amber color ,with a thickly bubbled white heading that stays throughout the tasting.

Smell is very sweet,very hoppy,kind of spicey and my god a helluva fruit aroma tops it all off.

Taste is riduclously fruity and nice kick in the chops of spiciness. Kind of syrupy as well.

Mouth is medium bodied heavy,awesome carbonation and an amazing blend of fruits and hops that sting the tongue.

Drink is good for a 9% ABV but you can taste the alcohol on this one. A little heavy probably for a nice fall day.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Rating a bottle at UC's international beer tasting. I've previously had it a few times. Poured clear with a slight honey color. Almost like a BMC. Poured a little thicker than average which would make sense with a higher gravity beer. The first thing I noticed on the taste was the total lack of hops (hooray for a beer recipe that pre-dates the widespread hopping of beer. There is a slight taste of white grapes, similar to a whine with a huge honey follow-up. The honey taste is pretty heavy but the beer is still incredibly drinkable. at $15 per four pack its an occasional drinker at best, but still a personal favorite.

2.28/5  rDev -38.9%

To what guidelines does one review "an ancient ale?"

Thin white head that quickly fades to skim. Clear, honey colored.

Smells of dry dirt, honey and tortilla chips.

Tastes like carbonated corn chips and honey puree.

I started drinking this while reading a book about the Lost Boys of Sudan. I continued drinking it thinking if the Lost Boys can dodge helicopters, starvation, and lions I can finish this beer. Alas, I could not..drainpour.

3.42/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Golden, and pale. Pretty clear. Foamy white head with minutes of retention.

S: Very Belgium fruity like. Apples and honey present.

T: Lager like malt in the front with fruits that divebomb in the end. But wait! This beer comes back. Seriously! The ending note doesn't come until it hits your stomach and then travels up to the back of your mouth. Finishes like apple juice.

M: Very light. Very good carbonation. Well balanced.

D: Drinks like a skunk lager. It really does. Fruity Bud-Light. I'm sorry Sam! Besides that weird resurgance thing the fruits do there just isn't that much to this beer. It's quite drinkable but kind of boring.

4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

Following the Raison D'extra this tasted light and smooth. Let's assume that the saffron was added to promote the "mida's touch" of the golden yellow color. I could drink this all night. This would be a crowd favorite and the 9% is well hidden.

4.53/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

All I can really say is wow. This beer is just exceptional. It has a very rich golden color with a whole bouquet of aromas and flavors.

There is a great hint of white grapes in every sip along with an after taste of saffron just as you'd expect by reading the label. Very unique, an instant classic.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

From notes at Catskeller Internationally Inspired Beer Tasting: Thanks Adam and Brandon!

Pours golden and clear. Nearly uncarbonated.
Smell is of bitter grapes, honey, spice, and clove.
Our flavor has notes of spice, grapes, yeast. Much fuller bodied than it appears at pour.
Coats the mouth well, it's a taste close to a white wine.
The wine taste makes it less drinkable than it should be.

3.32/5  rDev -11%

Golden glowing, the color of, dare I say it, honey? Not much head, although carbonated. May be a glassware issue.

Aroma is invitingly grapey, maybe a little one dimensional.

Taste is pretty bland, IMO. Some grape comes through. No sweetness. Finish is slightly bitter.

Finish is also astringent. Althout the honey and grapes in the recipe probably help to lighten the beer, at 9%, it is still pretty heavy.

For me, this beer is interesting in that it has this wine-like aroma, but upon tasting, I realize I would prefer a basic wine table wine to the Midas Touch.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Very hazy with an orange color. Decent lacing.

S: Just like it says on the bottle--honey, grapes, and saffron. Some other, undetectable spiciness as well.

T: The honey and saffron are definitely there, and the groups are a little more underneath. The taste isn't at all bad, thought it's very unusual.

M: Light-to-medium bottle with decent carbonation.

D: This is where the strange taste fits in. Good tasting beer all around, but it's one you don't want to have more than a single bottle of.

3.32/5  rDev -11%

From a 12 oz. brown bottle. Pours out a dense yet still transparent deep golden amber hue, a quick splash of white head that just as quickly disappeared in another flash.

Sweet fresh grapes are most predominant on the nose, followed by a leafy sweet honey presence, earthy, spicy notes permeating this blanket of sweetness from time to time. Very curious, in a good way.

I'm not quite sure how to start off describing the flavour, as quite honestly I've never tasted anything like this before. Up front there is some light malt to catch hold of as familiar ground, but this is even premeditated by a bursting thick sweetness of honey that nearly eclipses everything else along its merry way. Sweet white grape tends to carve out its own presence by the middle, while warming spicy alcohol accumulates on the finish, stamping out the sweetness of the honey and grapes in the aftertaste, although the latter two tend to coat the palate and linger on in their own manner.

Mouthfeel is full and quite thick in fact, sticky in places, forcing one to definitely catch their breathe between sips.

Very unique, and something I'd like to try on tap at some point. As always Dogfish Head gets big points for experimentation, and the chutzpah behind it to follow through. I'd have to drink a few more bottles of Midas Touch to get a better familiarity with it before I could alter my taste and drinkability scores, however this stuff is good and compelling enough in its own way that that won't be too difficult to motivate.

3.82/5  rDev +2.4%

Drinking like the Pharaoh's! I like Dogfish Head, and when I heard about this beer I knew I had to give it a try. Very unique and tasty.

The presentation of the beer is good. Clean, golden, royal.
Both the smell and taste are sincere, and really great at showing the honey, grape, and spice aspects of the brew.

The mouthfeel presents that higher ABV, but remains smooth until the aftertaste hits you with the spice and herb. Overall I will buy this again and appreciated its distinct character.

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

After sipping my first Midas, I fell in love with the taste of the muscat grapes. Paired with the sweetness of the honey and the saffron, midas touches taste was balanced, crisp, and on a warm afternoon, a perfect accompaniment.

I would definitely drink more of these, though I do not think they are much of a session beer. This recipe was a hit for DFH

4.7/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: As the name implies, this poured a golden copper color. The head was thin that took a while to thin out to a wisp that persisted but didn't leave much lacing. It's clear with obvious carbonation trails.

S: The initial aroma is a nice balance between the spicy saffron with the sweet honey. The other aromas aren't that pronounced but I think there is a hint of vanilla.

T: The taste doesn't disappoint. The one-two punch of honey saffron is right up there with a nice warming sensation as it goes down. I don't really get the grapes up front but more in the lingering taste.

M: Smooth. Even weighing in at 9% ABV you don't taste/feel it.

D: The spiciness keeps this from being too sweet. This is great as a sipping beer. It would be great as a session beer as long as it is limited. I would love to use this to introduce some of my novices to the bigger world of beer.

3.94/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz pours a clear golden color with minimal head and few bubbles.

Nose is honey with hints of white grapes. A little bit of maltiness and spice hidden behind that.

First sip takes you back to the family dinners when you were a child and you had to drink white grape juice while the adults drank wine. Each sip after reveals a bit more complexity. There is a nice honey sweetness, saffron, hints of yeasty apple esters, bit of a twang in the finish. Despite the seeming lack of head, the carbonation holds its own and provides a fresh, lively beer.

This is nothing awe-inspiring but is really quite a unique, interesting brew. The saffron and grapes give it a fresh feel and there is still enough beer presence to give it some depth. I would drink a couple.

4.06/5  rDev +8.8%

Got a four pack on my last trip back to beer hell Alabama from Georgia. I have to say I was excited to review this even with my sniffer being out of comission because of spring sinus stuffiness.

Appearance- The color is really cool, deep gold with a mild white head. Very name Appropriate.

Smell- As I said I'm not smelling to great this week. But my wine experiance nose immediatly picked up the familiar sweet smell of the muscat grapes. The aroma of the saffron subtly wafts up to near the top of the glass.

Taste- Sweet white grape notes with honey hints. The Barley and saffron ad a herbal bite that keeps it from being to sweet. On a personal note I was hoping for a sweeter dessert beer. But it was well balanced in my opinion and tasted great.

Mouthfeel- Light and gently coating. It's a good palate cleanser.

Drinkability- One could polish of a 4 pack quite easily in an afternoon with no complaints.

Final notes: A great beer, I suppose I was hoping for a more dessert beer but I'm not dissapointed in what I got.

By the way try it with thin crust Pizza.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

12oz bottle with no date poured into a Pint Glass at Barley House Algonquin, IL

A - Midas poured a clear light golden wheat with a small white head that descended to a ring with haste.

S - Malty but minerally. The grape and honey aromas really pull through. It has a very mead-like smell to it.

T - Honey, a strong sweetness from the malts too. A very noticeable white grape flavor. Tastes like a mix of barleywine and mead. Good!

M - Light but syrupy at the same time and crisp yet sweet. Awesome complexity.

D - Awesome beer but its barleywine flavor and 9% don't lend well to the drinkability of this beer.

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

12oz bottle dated 7/21/08 into a duvel tulip

A- golden colored body with a small quickly fading white head. very little lacing left on the sides of my glass.

S- very much of grapes. very artificial smelling, like a cheap grape drink. very sweet smelling too.

T- the tastes reminds me of what my mouth tastes like the morning after a night of drinking more than i should. overly sweet and grape drink like. i cant detect the other ingredients that are listed on the bottle in the smell, or the taste.

M- thin and watery with a high level of carbonation. there is a slight warming from the alcohol.

D- cant seem to find anything special about this beer. the one i had was more than enough. not one of dog fish's better offerings. i probably wont try this again. it wasnt offensive, it just isnt anything i could see myself craving again.

3.66/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Poured a hay seed golden color that goes along with the theme very well. Very light carbonation with little head and no lacing.

S- Honey and sugar cane with mixed barley aroma.

T- light sweet taste. Followed up by a syrupy aftertaste.

M/D- I guess i just wasnt into this one... especially for the price. Filmy on the tongue

3.22/5  rDev -13.7%

An aggressive pour resulted in a one finger white crown which soon departed into a thin film and left minimal lacing. The body was a perfectly clear light honey color.

Smelled very inviting. Honey and grape candy were the predominant aromas, along with some floral notes and nary a sign of any alcohol.

The taste wasn't on par with the smell. The honey gave it a high level of sweetness, a bit too high for my taste. There was still a bit of grape in there, but not as pronounced as in the aroma.

The mouthfeel on this brew was as thin as it gets. Only the smoothness and a bit of carbonation kept it from being graded lower.

I can't say this is a beer I'd care to have again. It was far too sweet and thin to be enjoyable. So while it was interesting to try once, that's all I'll have of this one.

3.67/5  rDev -1.6%

Small head, golden in color

Grapes punched me in the face, I thought I was a kid again drinking minute maid

Tastes like grape candy sugar pixie stix with some honey and spices.

Decent carbonation, with a sweet complexion from the grapes and malt

Easy drinking. Nice to know where the beer may have originated from - possibly taken on the form in order to tempt aggressive beer tasters like most of us on here. higher abv

2.69/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A= Pours almost a syrupy translucent orange color. Crystal clear with absolutely no head on it with no lacing... hmmm doesn't look like much carbonation either.
S= Sweet sugary malt and a kiss of saffron. Smells really really sweet.
T= Sugary sweet with a touch of saffron like I said from the odor. Sort of a bite on the back ends of my tongue. Interesting but I dunno about how good it is. Really sugary.
M= No carbonation at all. Heavy with a dry finish.
D= Not very high at all. I'll get sick of this after one I'm sure. I appreciate the effort and the history lesson but not for me.

3.47/5  rDev -7%

A--Very pretty crystal clear golden color glistening from the pint glass. Unfortunately, a hard pour yielded very little head and no lacing to speak of.

S--Green grapes, honey, and citrus hops almost sting the nose. Or maybe its the spices. Very powerful scent, some raisin in the background as well.

T--More maltiness present than in the smell. The hop taste is reduced mostly to bitterness. Very spicy with dark fruits also making their presence known.

M--Medium bodied with decent, albeit slightly too much, carbonation

D--The carbonation actually becomes tiresome for my palate, so one bottle is enough. Fairly easy to drink though.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery