Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,381 | Reviews: 1,590
3.72/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours an interesting almost translucent golden. Decent little head on it, with a boozey whiff of something interesting - some sweet concoction, almost like a mead. This seems like it would be very well suited for a cold winter night - sweet, and alcoholic. As it warms, it melds quite nicely, even though it is still evident. Not the biggest mouthfeel considering, it slides off the tongue pretty well, but it is an interesting go at what it tries to be, some sort of sweetwine/mead hybrid.

3.86/5  rDev +3.5%

My introduction to alcohol came in my mid-twenties and through wine, as heretical as that may be to admit on this site, so I'm a late-comer to beer. I left both beer and wine for a considerable time to explore/abuse the fineries(ABV) of scotch, so when I came back to beer and wine, and found The Midas Touch, a marriage of both to some extent, I thought that I'd found perhaps the one beverage to satisfy both needs. Not quite, but very enjoyable just the same.

The alcohol is relatively high, but it certainly doesn't overwhelm the flavor spectrum, which is a well executed balance between the sweetness of a dry dessert wine, and the robust character of a refreshing ale. The safron is difficult to isolate on the tongue, as the beer is nowhere approaching bitter. Perhaps it simply looks good on an ingredient list. The carbonation is just right, and looks good in a glass. If you are in the mood for a beer, drink a traditional beer, as this is rightly considered a hybrid. If you are in the mood for a unique beer, and appreciate wine, then this may be for you.

I always enjoy drinking this beer, but would never spoil the experience by having two consecutively. Not because of the relatively high ABV, but simply because I don't think I would enjoy the unique flavor of the Midas Touch tripping on its own heels. Plus, the romance of drinking a beer of "antiquity" would certainly diminish if it became too familiar. As a tale, the Midas Touch is cautionary; so don't be too greedy: Enjoy, but one at a time.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

One is brought back to around 700 BC when King Midas apparently walked this earth, if the mythology is to be believed. Phrygian by birth and ruler of its capital city Pessinus, King Midas was said to be able to turn things into gold by a mere touch of the hand.

A - Finger-thick white head forms upon semi-aggressive pour. The carbonic activity is high and the hue is Deep Gold (SRM 6). The liquid is clear and despite high carbonic activity, the head fizzles out in an almost hard cider consistency; think Martinelli's Sparking Apple Cider® even. Lacing forms on the side of the glass and the sudsy head is easily roused in the snifter after swirling.

S - An interesting array of spices, herbs and vegetable (SHV) mix with spice and a sweet malty undertone. A slight boozy note comes through and is possibly part of the malty sweetness I smelled upon waft. Sweetness comes from the honey and booze and the muscat grapes mingle elegantly into the fold. The saffron seems to mix with the bouquet of spices and herbs, nothing being out of balance.

T/M - Wow, like nothing I've ever tasted before! The carbonation tickles the tongue as the honey coats the palate with sweet syrup. The saffron comes through at the end with a kiss of bitterness. One can taste the alcohol, though at 9%, this isn't surprising and in no way becomes unwelcome. With that said, this is such a amazingly balanced beer that one shouldn't think whiskey or any other aggressive boozy aspect when reading this! Those white muscat grapes fit somewhere into the flavor profile, though truly balanced this beer is! It seems to linger a little even, those grapes that is. The body strikes me as on the lighter side, though some might consider this be of medium body with the honey. The finish is on the dry side, much akin to a white wine. The body is wet and medium and then thins out to a light dry finish.

D/C - This beer is quite refreshing and is no wonder this style of beer was some of the earliest forms of brewed beer in the world. Since hops were not used in beer until sometime around 1000 AD, I doubt that Dogfish Head would use them in brewing this ancient brew. Therefore, the bitterness that is very mildly felt is probably from some spice. I can imagine a worker belaboring long hours in a field of barley and over a hot kiln to bake break, only to be comforted and revitalized by that Midas Touch! This beer could definitely be drank with frequency and even at 9%, quickly be finished with the 4-pack.

Prost!

3.72/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a transparent light golden color with an off-white head that bubbles for a second before slowly fading. This definitely elicits thoughts of what I think mead would look like, but the soft color and lack of residual lace is simply not very impressive.

Smell: Honey, light fruits, particularly grapes, along with a balanced spice palette that includes cloves and all spice give this a mild, herbal aroma.

Taste: The flavor introduces itself with crisp grapes, some mild spiciness, and of course, honey. The malt flavor takes more of a backseat to the main flavors. Alcohol permeates the taste through most of each sip. A slight bite at the end of the sip, but the aftertaste is still sweet, and the alcohol presence remains apparent as it slides down my throat.

Mouthfeel: A light, smooth feel with little carbonation. Alcohol definitely warms the mouth.

Drinkability: The sweetness mostly hides the strength of the alcohol. Still, I can only drink about two before I start to lose interest in the honey flavor, and any delusions about drinking any more are crushed by the 9% ABV.

Interesting to try, but not great in my opinion.

3.44/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a very expected bright golden color, very little head with thin soapy lacing that runs like crazy.

It smells like moscato on crack. Some sweet grape notes come first, followed up by some nice toasty malty undertones. Smells almost like a chardonnay that's seen a couple days open in the fridge. Some alcoholic phenols as well. Weird....

The taste reminds me more of mead than beer. It has some lightly toasted, neutrally sweet malty flavors that nudge their way to the front. This is followed up by a push of dry fermented honey that melds strangely with a moderate alcohol taste. This is an odd one. Strangely complex.

Very little carbonation, feels like wine in your mouth. Light bodied and very slipper on the tongue.

Overall, I am not sure what to think of this one. I'll break it down. One was enjoyable, I don't think I want another, some other time I would like one, just not right now. Take that for what you will.

3.62/5  rDev -2.9%

transparent gold with an amber hue. small fizzy head that is gone instantly. Nothing special in the look. licorice, grapes, belgian-like malts in smell. weirdness all around.

Interesting. wow. very interesting. I cannot even begin to describe the taste. alcohol is definitely present. up front there's a very sweet flavor reminding me of the few types of Mexican candy i've tried, while in the middle and aftertaste there is a strong resemblance to white grape juice and apple. but in the finish and swallow all that is swept away by the spiciness and herbal character that reminds me of a honey ham with cloves in it on Christmas at my grandmother's house. So there's another flavor for you: honey, and now that that has become apparent, LOTS of honey.

the mouthfeel is light medium bodied, with a pretty decent drinkability that might even have me going back to the fridge for another one.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

This lighter brownish copper color beer poured out with a copious amount of foam. Reducing to lighter amounts of lacing. The aroma of malts and hops with a hints of flower. The taste of the beer is a good balance of the malts and hops with the flower showing through and tones of the warmer aspects of the alcohol.

Pours a clear gold with a fluffy white head. Smells sort of like a pilsner. Some sweet honey maltiness and a little bit of hop aroma. As the beer is swirled, a strong alcohol aroma comes off of the beer. There is a warm alcohol flavor up front that mellows out into a bready, sweet, honey-like flavor with a little bit of bitterness. There is a spice in there too but I can't put my finger on it. There is a dry peppery mouthfeel in the finish...kind of nice. The high alcohol in this mellows out as you drink. It is drinkable in small doses and is a nice option if you are going to have a couple to sip and relax.

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance: A crystal-clear golden-amber body with less than a finger of bubbly, off-white head that burns out pretty quickly and leaves little lacing.

Aroma: A fruity, floral, perfumy, spicy, and sweet mix. Very unique.

Taste: Crisp and dry with lots of grape, making it almost wine-like at times. Underneath there's a light malt backbone with mild accents of honey shining through to ground it all. There's something vaguely chocolaty towards the finish, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Alcohol is there, but masked rather effectively. The aftertaste is grapey and mildly malty. My wife described it as replacing "all the bad things about wine with all the good things about beer." Your mileage may vary.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with fine carbonation and a dry finish. Some alcohol burn in the mouth, but not too much.

Drinkability: The only thing really holding it back is the alcohol content; a quaffable ancient brew.

Verdict: To be perfectly honest, I liked this beer before I ever opened a bottle; the concept of time travel in a bottle is pure brilliance. Now that I've finally got my hands on some tasted it, I'm delighted to find that the beer itself is actually complex and quite enjoyable.

4.27/5  rDev +14.5%

One of my favorites, and being from Delaware it's easy for me to get a hold of.

The beer pours with very little head, and it doesn't last long. The yellow appearance is interesting, but more yellow than golden. You can definately smell the essense of honey, with a hint of grapes that almost makes it seem like you're smelling a wine. It is quite an interesting balance. It's almost like it's a hybrid between a beer, a mead, and a wine. It definately tastes sweet, which I like, but with a lingering sweet aftertaste that bitter beer lovers definately will not enjoy. This is the only reason taste does not get a 5. I'm not a fan of hops-bombs, but this beer could definately use just a little more hops to help balance it out, though not too much to kill the sweet taste of the honey and grapes completely. The use of saffron is noted and gives the beer a nice spicy taste. Depite its 9% abv I cannot detect much alcohol, and the beer has a good mouthfeel, aside from the lack of carbonation. At times it's little like drinking a flat soda. This explains the lack of head on the beer, and I would probably score it better in mouthfeel, taste, and appearance if it just had a little more carbonation. Still one of my favorite beer, and has a potential for perfection.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

I poured into a nonic to a small off white head. It is dark yellow in color and clear. I was actually surprised by the color. I bought some in Maine last summer, but I drank it from the bottle. I assumed it would be darker. I got grapes and bread in the initial whiff. As I drank I could smell the alcohol. I taste the sweetness of the grapes and honey up front, followed by the alcohol. Normally, I would not consider this a session beer, but after the day I had at work, it is tonight. It is a nice change of pace. I wouldn't want to drink it all the time.

Pours a nice clean amber without any hazing or clouding and nice carbonation bubbling up to a nice film on top. Smell is grapes, honey, spices, cardamom, malt and caramel. Taste is very malty and just maybe a slight hint of cheese. Mouthfeel is almost syrupy and drinkability is ok.

3.89/5  rDev +4.3%

A- Poured into a 16oz tumbler. Golden in color, maybe a touch of orange. Very light head, though beer looks very active

S- Sweet smelling nectar, almost like a cider or rice wine

T- Sweet tasting. Maybe some hints of honey, with definate similarities to a sweet rice wine

M- Very light bodied and smooth. Lingering sweetness after swallowing

D- Very drinkable. Might start to get a bit sweet after too many, but definately could drink a few. Also, doesn't taste as strong as it is

CHEERS!!

3.01/5  rDev -19.3%

Drank from a bottle into a chalice.

This beer is a orange with a terrible white head that is small and disappers quickly.

The one positive is nice sweet fruity malt aroma.

The taste is big let down. I has no real front end and ends almost skunky and bitter. I guess I would drink this over a bud light, but I wouldn't add this to my rotation. A very disappointment DFH.

I'm really biased here. This is one of my favorite brews of all time. I've had it maybe 20 times from various batches and vendors. Each time the beer was golden with a luscious head. The mead-like qualities from the honey are balanced by the spicy floral notes of the saffron. The muscat grapes add another dimention of sweetness. The citrus from the hops is a nice touch since muscat is generally low in acid. The muscat jus adds a beautiful fruit component of apricot and I could gush on and on. I'll quietly step back and finish my brew.

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

Looks like apple cider in a tulip glass, Orange color with no head, not much structure but lovely color.

Smell is absolutely incredible, like nothing else, tons of muscatish honeysuckle notes wig some citrus and a touch of alcohol, and a bit of musty old smell, doesn't smell like a beer

I quite like the taste, a multigeared, sweet white wine like character with apricots, a little clove, and a balanced malt finish. Very wierd, but enjoyable. Leaves an awesome floral honey finish.

Mouthfeel is a little weak but present, and it drinks smoothly

Notes: I feel like this is a wine drinkers beer, I quite like off dry floral white wines and strange beers. This beer is totally unique and dogfish deserves praise for this expirement

3.29/5  rDev -11.8%

12oz single bottle poured into a regular kitchen glass. Bottled feburary 2009. Have not had this in years.

A- Midas touch golden elixiris just that, golden with a light straw pale yellow within. A vigorous pour only produced a faint white cap on the top plus a ring around the glass. No lacing at all.

S- I smelled it as soon as I popped the cap. This does not smell great, in fact it reminds me of a macro with a big grain bill. Some warming helps this with a nice white grape sense plus some other crazy DFH ingredients. Some grassy hops. All in all pretty weak.

T- The taste is a huge step up from the smell where the honey used is actually included giving off a nice sweetness. Next up is the muscat grapes which are up front throughout. Other ingredients including saffron are used but since im not familiar with any of them, I cant comment on how they progress the flavor. I like this, I don't love it.

M- Midas touch has a medium body with just a bit of carb leading to a slightly fizzy and crisp feel. The honey used gives this a nice sweetness that does not linger plus adds to the body of this ancient beer. Not huge enough that you need to take small sips, so I took mid sized gulps. The alcohol is hidden nice and not noticed.

D- Just as long as I dont smell it, I can stand this, but im glad I purchased a single. Not sure if a uber fresh bottle would help as the hops would be blocked by the crazy ingredients, and I dont see aging this helping any as im not in love with it.

3.66/5  rDev -1.9%

A- White fluffy head lay atop a cristal clear golden beer, good retention and nice lacing.

S- Pale grain, some citrus aromas and nice spice. Smells like a spiced lager to me.

T- Dry bitter spicy flavor up front that continues to dry then some citrus at the end. Dry grainy after-taste, spicy cinnamon almost champagne like beer.

Overall this is an interesting beer, nice experiment but would not buy again.

3.57/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: A beautiful, transparent, golden appearance, but weak carbonation and virtually no head retention. It looks like cream soda and has the carbonation retention of cream soda.

Smell: smells like a belgian with honey notes and saffron. malty.

taste: Winey and malty, floral notes and a slight tang of bitterness

Mouthfeel: surprisingly smooth, it's belgian-esque in the taste but does not have the harsh and souring aftertaste.

Drinkablity: The taste does not sour or age poorly. I finished this beer without effort.

4.04/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass. Bottled on 2/2/2009, making this 5 months old.

Its disparate elements of mead, cider, and American wild ale make this difficult to review by standards of any given style.

Liquid pours a satin sheen gold with a very thin dusting of ivory foam. Unusual splattering of lacing, and no legs despite the sizable ABV.

Aroma is tantalizing with strong whiffs of honey along with melon, guava, persimmon, and alcohol.

Tastes very much like mead but not so cloying and with effervescence. Clean and fruity on the palate (like a cold canned peach). A little bitterness offsets the honey, and the saffron comes through together with the malt for a long satisfying finish. Some lager or pilsner notes as well...

Light-bodied, but very smooth from the honey (but not at all sticky). The alcohol is present but subdued. A little more carbonation would be welcome and make this a bit more festive.

An interesting balancing act with this beverage. I would serve this in place of a Gewurtztraminer or a Riesling without any qualms. It would go well with Ethiopian food as well.

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

A: bright copper, clear with no head

S: Red wine like spicyness and sweetness

T: grape and honey. not overly sweet or tart. faint bitterness at the end.

M: smooth syrup with no acidity.

D: ABV is hidden well, but the sweet/tart becomes much when finisging a bottle

2.57/5  rDev -31.1%

Purchased from Three Cellars in Franklin, WI. This beer poured a clear golden color with no foam. Makes me wonder if the bottle is a bit old? Aroma is of grapes. Medium bodied, it tastes of grapes up front and malt sweetness in the finish. Seemed very one-dimensional -- I was expecting more depth of flavor.

4.14/5  rDev +11%

Some white froth on the pour but gone in almost an instant, no lacing, just a few lilypads of bubbles along the glass walls. Faded orange-yellow in hue, mostly transparent, slow moving and dispersed bubbles visible. Your nostrils feel full but not heavy with scents of cinnamon paste, white grape, pear, yellow apple fruit, honeycombs, lilacs, candied orange peels, sweetly glazed bread, touch of caramel, because of its general fullness it is a little difficult to separate out the individual scents. Full-bodied, the relatively weak carbonation results in a bottom heavy drink, enters the mouth smoothly and then lounges about some. That said, satiny texture, there's no roughness and while it is sweet it never gets cloyingly so. Grape, apple, pear, kiwi and pomegranate fruit flavors abound. Clove, nutmeg spice is soft and relaxed. The orange, lemon, grapefruit citrus concentrated and juicy. Lightly bready, not much of a hops presence. Never sour but there is a diminishing of the sweetness through the finish and aftertaste.

4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

Picked up a single 12oz at the store. Been eyeing this one for a while now.

A- Pours like a hefeweizen in color- pale straw yellow. Nice, creamy head that floats on the beer. Amazing lacing from this one, too.

S- Candied fruit is most noticeable. Sweet, syrupy. Not very defined.

T- Very good. Tastes like a lighter wheat beer with some serious after-flavors. Hard to pick out many notes, they all run together. Tart and sweet flavors dominate. A spice is there, and the white muscat grapes (huh?) add some good flavor as well. The sweet honey on the back end is great. And you could have fooled me.. 9%?!? can't even taste it. Incredibly easy to drink.

M- Outstanding. Perfect carbonation. Great lingering of the elements on the tongue. Sublime. The DFH website lists this beer as somewhere between wine and mead. Perfection.

D- How much can you handle? At 9%, watch out. 1/2 way through and I'm buzzing. A couple of these would be asking for it. But man, does this beer taste good. I'm shocked at how well the alcohol is hidden in this brew. Cheers, DFH!

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Bright yellow-orange with thin head and some lacing.

Smell: Honey and grapes, slight spice, alcohol.

Taste: Tastes like a semi-sweet, honeyed, alcoholic wine, but with a malt backbone. Touch of saffron, but I never would have identified that without the label. Sugary alcohol aftertaste that I am not a fan of. I am happy that this was not as sweet as I feared.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, pretty smooth, but a little too syrupy for my taste.

Drinkability: No idea, but I like it and keep sipping away. However, the aftertaste is a slight deterrent. So, how about a 3.5?

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery