Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
wcudwight

2.68/5  rDev -28%

Pours the color of a sunset with a small short-lived thin fizzy head. Lots of carbonation bubbles.
Smell is of alcohol and spice. Maybe some clove.
Woa! I can say that I have not had a beer like this and I can also say that I don't like this beer. Taste is buttery, bitter, medicinal, and metallic.
Mouthfeel is fair. Crisp. And I wouldn't consider this a drinkable beer.
I'm not saying that this is a bad beer. It's simply not my thing and maybe my palate is not adventurous enough to fully enjoy the Midas Touch.

03-27-2006 02:23:24 | More by wcudwight
SaCkErZ9

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with Prince Purple colored label containing a fingerprint and no freshness date. Thin, wispy, head that dissolves immediately. Lots of bubbles are active under the surface. Clear, pale gold in color.

Not a whole lot in the smell. Mostly sweetness, I guess due to the honey, but it doesnt smell like honey. Caramel malts and toasty bread.

Not really much in the taste either. I was a little dissappointed. Very sweet. Caramel malts. Slight alcohol tinge. I served cold but I would assume the alcohol would come out more if warm. Kind of cheap lager tasting really. Tastes a lot like a malt liquor or a strong Bud or Coors novelty type beer. Way too sweet and cloying.

Slick feel on the teeth. Fairly full bodied. Average drinkability for a less than average beer. I was very dissappointed in this beer. At almost $12 for a four pack, I feel I was ripped off.

03-23-2006 19:44:30 | More by SaCkErZ9
dogfooddog

Panama

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

After skipping what appeared to be a heat-damaged raison d'etre (90% of glass was head, I do get heat-damaged beers with some frequency in FL), the next bottle in the dogfish tasting is this 9% product. It pours at 50f with minimal head, and the nose is the first honey beer I have ever smelled that actually SMELLED like sweet honey. After a minute in the glass, some malt notes start to come out as well.

taste is very sweet, cleraly honey involved though sweeter than actual honey itself. there is a taste reminding me of grape fruit juice as well. In many ways this is not a typical beer and resembles a mead.

aftertaste is very sweet and atypical, the beer is quite nice but not one I could drink more than one of at a time, the taste is quite heavy. I dont taste the 9% but I do feel its effects and moderation is advised!

03-22-2006 02:36:11 | More by dogfooddog
jameaterblues

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Midas Touch poured a very light golden color from a 12oz bottle. The head was thin and had a bright white color with a bubbly watery lacing.
The smell of the beer was of sugar (most likely from the muscat grapes(they are very sweet) but possibly honey like it boasts) and alcohol. The hops and carbonation are the first thing that you taste. There is sweet fruity sugar(confirming that it is mostly the grapes giving it the sweetness) in the body of the beer, and a strange but good finish. The finish remained me of an oaked wine or a bourbon. The oak was prominent, slightly spiced, and just a hint of alcohol. The alcohol was noticeable, but the sweetness from the fruit really helped to disguise it. Drinkability/mouthfeel: Drinkablility is above average for this beer, but if you are not a fan of wine in general in might not be up your alley...mouthfeel is very much of a slightly carbonated wine, and does have some bourbon characters. Another interesting brew from dogfish....they always keep me coming back.

03-20-2006 16:26:59 | More by jameaterblues
DaggerEyes

3.08/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a twelve ounce bottle into a large wine glass; Midas Touch Golden Elixer poured a Golden Orange with little to no head visable. A thin lacing hugged the rim where the surface met the glass.

The nose on this beer is extremly sweet and somewhat fruity. In many ways it is reminiscent of the sweet scent often given off by cheap beers, such as Pabst Blue Ribbon. The taste however is quite different than that. While very sweet and active on the entrance the beer intensifies in complexity and somewhat tart on the finish.

An interesting beer worth the experience but by no means something I'd drink on a regular basis

03-16-2006 02:58:24 | More by DaggerEyes
Metalmonk

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%

Whether or not the legend behind this beer is true, it's definitely one for the ages. It's why I love Dogfish Head stuff so much: recognizably, undoubtedly beer, but also adventurous, unique, always different and usually incredibly tasty.

Pours a finger-thick soapy head which chills out pretty quickly to almost nothing, just a little foam around the sides. Medium carbonation and glowing reddish-gold body. Dots of lace.

Smells of white grapes, raisins, honey, with an almost sherry-like alcoholic richness in the background. I've never smelled a beer quite like this one. Fruity, spicy, fragrant, an interesting combination of ingredients, definitely unique.

Flavors are abundant. Even if you'd never read the label, the white grape is a pronounced and obvious flavor, with walnut, barley, honey and a bit of the 9% ABV making itself known. There's also a slightly spiky spice here, which I suppose is saffron, but I'm not well-versed enough with saffron to actually pick that out without the label's help.

Creamy in the mouth, with a mild bite to the carbonation.

An excellent summer drink with a complex flavor profile that helps hide the higher ABV a little too well. The first time I had this was autumn '05, sitting on a friends' porch while watching a parade of hundreds of runners running a Raleigh road race, glad I was partaking of this fine brew and not doing all that running.

03-15-2006 19:53:50 | More by Metalmonk
kaimcm

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

bottled on 9/21/05-Bottle says "Handcrafted ancient ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron."

A: body has a rich and luxurious deep gold/amber hue. very little head even with a vigorous pour but considering this is sort of an ambiguous beer, with a lot of vinous qualities, Im not really knockin it. body just glows.

S: sweet malt, grapes, vanilla, fruit all over the place, alcohol mixed with a winy aroma, and it pains me to say a touch of cheap grain sweetness you get on a mediocre pils or something

T/M: sugar and grapes ride a mouthfeel wave thats very creamy. velvety fruit coats the mouth. clean grain and a cool quality follow. theres something about this beer that makes me feel as if Ive just been swimming in some pristine and cold stream. finish dries slightly followed by an evolution of ripe green fruits and some candy. honey is obvious, though I cant say I know what saffron tastes like so not sure if Im detecting it or not. finish even has a slight yeasty/alcohol spice to it that balances the sugar nicely. all said and done the mouthfeel finishes a tad weak.

D: this is a very delicate beer and should be enjoyed on its own or paired carefully. very pricey but an excellent treat every now and then.

all in all an awesome brew. paired with a light plate of fruit and cheeses with success.

03-14-2006 06:19:37 | More by kaimcm
rodrot

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

This brew poured a clear gold color with a small head. The beer leaves a tiny bit of lace on the glass. Aroma is winey, spicy and I could also pick up some notes of malt on the nose. Taste is very unusual. Grapes, spices, grain and honey were all present in the flavor. The beer was medium bodied in the palate. The finish was fruity, sweet and spicy with a touch of bitterness. At times I felt like I was drinking a beer/wine/mead hybrid. Isn't that the point behind this brew? To sample something that ancient humans may have partaken of? I don't know how close Midas Touch is to the actual product that was inside those unearthed vessels, but it's worth a try just to have something very different. Cheers to Dogfish Head for putting out a very bold product.

03-10-2006 13:52:59 | More by rodrot
MagicLantern

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel Snifter. No head though a light lace circled the glass with a small portion resting in the center. The lace remained throughout drinking never sticking to the glass, but instead haloing the edge. A clear medium carbonation was even throughout the entire beer. An amber color leaning more towards orange rather than red.
Initially I was disappointed that the beer had no head, but I don't think this style should have a big head and no longer hold that against the beer. This should be taken into consideration by other people who try it.

Smell: The snifter helped accentuate the smell of this beer, which is sweet and complicated. Saffron and grape combine to provide a unique distinct smell that is pleasant and inviting.
I was impressed with the smell, my notes read, "Great". It was very inviting and made me want to try this beer.

Taste: Like it's smell, the taste is complicated. Sweet, saffron, and spice in the background. The spice sticks with you not only after you finish a drink, but for a while. Stick with this beer all night or clean your palate as this will cloud all other drinks afterwards.
My notes read, "pleasant, but inescapable." It is difficult to get rid of the taste of this beer. It is a good tasting beer, but unique. The spice actually becomes better after you get use to it and I think a second is always much better than the first. Again, don't plan on switching beers afterwards because Midas Touch will demand to continue to be tasted. Last point and this is the most important. This beer tastes better warmed rather than cold. Ice cold does not compliment this beer. Open it, smell it, watch it. Let it warm up, give it time to breath, it gets better if you give it time.

Mouthfeel:
Again, interesting and unique. An initial reaction may be dislike because it's sort of strange. However the strangeness has brought me back for more, because the flavors and smells combine to make an interesting complicated platform that can continued to be examined.

Drinkability:
The uniqueness and complexity of this drink gives something beer lovers should try several time before they make up their mind. The background spicyness grows as one drinks this and it contributes to a cap on the number of these one could have in a night. One is ok, two is good, three may be great, but four in a row is likely to many. The carbonation and grapes combine to give this beer a pseudo-wine or champagne like feel. Others have mentioned this beer is good upon occasion, or if one is in the right mood. I think this beer should be approached as if it were a wine or champagne. Any gathering where alcohol is served, but the goal isn't be get trashed is a good time to bring out this beer. There's no way anyone could pound these. They sort of cap themselves, but before you get sick of them, they are really good. Celebrate it's uniqueness at celebrations.

03-05-2006 23:10:26 | More by MagicLantern
lordofthewiens

Maine

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Not sure what to make of this beer; I don't think I've ever had one this sweet. It was a pretty orange color with a small white head and very bubbly. It had a sweet grainy odor, and a very sweet fruity taste. I thought it to be quite carbonated, and thus not very pleasing in the mouth. The sweetness makes it only average for drinkability.

02-28-2006 01:08:17 | More by lordofthewiens
jmz62565

Connecticut

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

This pours a yellow/red straw with a large foamy head. The smell has a honey sweetness to it with a raisin or prune aroma also. The taste is a real treat. It starts out creamy with a real alcohol bite to it. The dark fruit,prune and raisin,flavor is very prevelant with a almost white wine presence make this a sweet beer that is good,but not very drinkable. The m/f is medium with a good malt sweetness that really hides the high alcohol. This is an OK brew,but I don't think I could have more than a couple of these.

02-20-2006 00:35:46 | More by jmz62565
goschool

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received in a trade from BRoss242 in the Boxing Day BIF.

The pour is clear amber with a one finger white head that fades down to a halo. This has a appealing aroma when I'm not getting a nose full of alcohol- white wine, honey, and a ton of spice. The taste is off and on in the same way. In one sip, I'm enjoying the honey, candy-sweet malts, and spices; in an another sip, I get an overly alcoholic cooking white wine. In theory the flavors should join forces to create a nice Riesling taste, but that never happens. All in all, Midas Touch a fun beer to try because of it's unique history, plus it's from a brewery that I'd been wanting to try for a while. Thanks BRoss242!

02-18-2006 09:22:00 | More by goschool
Freshie

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this one up at Blanchard's Liquors in Brockton.

The colour was golden but very mirky, which suggests this is unfiltered. It poured a very small head that disappeared soon thereafter.

The aroma was really surprising for me. It was very sweet and welcoming. The description on the bottle suggests it but still it threw me.

The taste is very smooth and sweet, with a definite barley honey influence. After that I could clearly taste fruit and the saffron, again, suggested on the bottle.

This is an interesting beer, and I believe because of the very sweet fruity taste, that this is a very appealing beer for the experimental wine-drinker. For instance, my mother (yes I live with my mother, and she is a very avid wine-drinker) likes to try my beers and she usually never likes any of them alot, but once she tasted this she really enjoyed it.

Cheers!

02-17-2006 01:58:49 | More by Freshie
normZurawski

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

I have to admit that when I saw a 3.76 overall score for this beer, I thought it was low. But then, when I rate it myself, and faced with all the categories in the rating system, I give them all either 3.5 or 4.0. I guess my overall score will end up being 3.8, almost exactly in-line with the 3.76 overall. I imagine there are a lot of people who give this beer the same range of scores. Ok, enough with the math.

Don't get me wrong, I like this beer. When you're in the mood for it, it rates much higher than a 3.75. But you're not always in the mood. Well I'm not. It does pack a punch, so you're not going to pick this up as a session beer. And it's pretty sweet - as you might expect given an amber beer @ 9 ABV, so more than 2 is going to be a stretch. But sometimes, just that once in a while, it really hits the spot. What's more, I almost always have this on hand these days. Then again, the same can be said for several Dogfish Head beers. They're good to keep in stock.

In all, this is certainly worth a try. It's a pretty good beer that will wear out its welcome by #2, so stop there. But in that, you can really get some enjoyment with a few to relax with.

02-16-2006 02:32:42 | More by normZurawski
masikon

Washington

Pours a transparent golden amber, I got virtually no head at all and very little active carbonation...appearance of a hard alcohol such as whiskey.. Nose was very fascinating as it excites the palate with unusual aromas of figs, raisins, white wine, as well as some heavy musk laying in the background. Taste is completely original and very strong, sweetness of honey with tart apple and grape followed with a dry finish which includes plenty of alcohol. The mouthfeel is a bit flat with very little carbonation which is a shame but this is certainly worth a try just for the experience.

02-12-2006 02:58:47 | More by masikon
akorsak

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

I am drinking a room temperature 12 oz bottle poured into a Three Philosophers goblet,

Appearance: The ale pours a nice clean goldenrod color. It almost reminds me of a mead (which I guess it is a close cousin to). There are no particles, but nor is there a head or any remnant of one.

Smell: The aroma is unique. I smell honey and raisins primarily, even some green grapes. This smell is not one that you'll find in any other beer.

Taste: The ale is lightly carbonated, giving it a soft taste. Within the taste itself, the crispness of green grapes are apparent, along with the slightly sweet hint of honey.

Mouthfeel: The complex flavors in the ale give it a pleasant mouthfeel. It could use a bit more carbonation though.

Drinkability: The drinkability is limited by a 9% abv price tag. But the backstory on this ale (check out dogfish.com) makes it worth a try.

02-10-2006 03:23:28 | More by akorsak
jda007

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a limited availability beer and is definitely worth a try!

The color is a clear burnt amber. It was served in a bell-shaped glass. (Think Belgian style)

The scent is unusual for a beer, almost like a wine. The taste is very rich with a warm aftertaste. It reminds me of a cross between a wine/cider more than just a beer. The tast is very complex: according to the label, this "handcrafted ancient ale" has "barley, honey, white muscat grapes, and saffron." The honey, grapes, and saffron are all very distinguishable. If you roll the beer gently around your tongue, you will experience a beer unlike any other in complexity and originality.

An excellent quality beer!

02-08-2006 18:18:46 | More by jda007
lpayette

Vermont

2.93/5  rDev -21.2%

Wanted to try this ever since seeing it on the history channel special about brewing. Finally found it at Half Time in Poughkeepsie.

Pours a very golden color with almost no head. Very appropriate color for the name. I like that.

Smells of alcohol and honey.

Tastes are quite interesting. They seem to vary from sip to sip. Honey, grapes, alc. saffron? Definitely an interesting beer, and the concept is a good one. However- that being said this is beer made me appreciate all the progress brewers have made since the days of King Midas. Not something I'd seek out again but it's something completely different from anything else I've ever had and for that reason alone I believe it to be worth trying.

02-07-2006 06:48:02 | More by lpayette
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.15/5  rDev -42.2%

Poured into pint glass.
This is a unique beer which saves it from getting bellow the 2's. A nice deep gold color, but absolutely no head.
Taste was stale honey, some malt, no hops and a hint of caramel.
It was a thicker feel to it than it looked. Coating and an aftertaste of metal and honey.
Disappointed.

02-03-2006 21:04:43 | More by Mebuzzard
EPICAC

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

I picked this up at Downtown Wine & Spirits because my dad had heard about it somewhere. The beer came in a standard 12 oz. brown bottle. The purple label has a fingerprint on the logo, and says "Handcrafted Ancient Ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes & saffron". I let the beer warm to approximately 50°F, and served it in one of my New Belgium snifters.

Appearance: Midas Touch pours a crystal clear, deep golden-orange. It's fizzy, with large soda like bubbles. Topped by a white half-inch head, that quickly diminishes to a ring.

Smell: The beer smells earthy, malty and a little buttery. Upon swirling I get wine-like grape aromas.

Taste: The taste is complex. Grainy flavors and honey sweetness are evident immediately. Malts take over in the center and are overtaken by tartness and spicyness in the finish. The aftertaste is spicy with alcoholic warmth. A modest bitterness appears mostly in the finish. It's almost like there's a mead to beer to wine transition.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and medium bodied with light carbonation. Leaves a buttery feel in the mouth.

Drinkability: This beer is 9.0% abv, which is evident in the taste. The flavors are also very strong, making this a bad session brew.

Overall: This is an interesting beer, definitely very wine like. It's a neat idea for a beer, and the execution isn't bad. It's almost a little too strong.

02-02-2006 03:31:48 | More by EPICAC
scruffwhor

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

I must admit before you read my review, that to my knowledge, I have never tasted saffron in any way shape or form. So there are scents and flavors that Don't register with me in thgis particular brew. Making it that more mysterious and interesting.

Appearance- Poured a honey yet slightly amber hue with a spritzy two-finger head. The head has very little retention but leaves a minor foam with a dash of lacing.

Smell- The first wiff that enters my noise is a vinous blend of grapes and honey. The other smells that I detected are of a general malty nature, nothing I can put my finger on. No hops present in the aroma.

Taste- he start is a gneral sour that turns into some vary viney malts easily defined as grapes. The sugary flavor seems to be honey based and helps take awy from the sour grape flavor. This all combines to end wityh a combo of sweet and sour, but more sour than sweet.

Mouthfeel- An acidic palate really cuts through whatever residual flavors left on my tongue left by previous food or drinks. Overall its about a 70% sour and 30% sweet.

Overall a very diffeent beer. What I had seen on the History channel was that this recipe was taken from scriptures unearthed from a tomb believed to be King Midas's. So no hops. But something to seek out for the adventurous beer afiucionado.

01-30-2006 03:22:18 | More by scruffwhor
gosurfobx

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

Beer pours a nice amber golden color. Has a quarter inch head that goes to a film after a while. Smells unlike any other beer I have ever tried with the grapes and saffron noticeable. Taste is also very unique. Has some characteristics of wine, taste of saffron and honey. Very different from other beers I have tired. Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I expected but not that bad. This beer is drinkable but not my favorite.

01-28-2006 23:32:18 | More by gosurfobx
rhoadsrage

3.83/5  rDev +3%

(Served in a chalice)

A- This beer has a thin wisp of head that is gone before the finish of the pour. The body is a hazy deep orange and a hint of red with a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles. It sounds like soda pop when it is poured.

S- The smell is a slightly earthy mead note with a fragrant alcohol finish. As it warms there is soft notes of pear and white grapes with a sweet cherry note after that aswell.

T- The taste has notes of grapes and a sharp note of alcohol with some carbonic bite in the finish. There is a white fresh grape taste at the finish aswell. The malt note is very soft and slightly sweet following the taste of grapes.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a watery texture. There are some notes of fizz and alcohol warmth in the finish.

D- This beer is very soft and the flavors are very foreign. The notes of grapes are distinct but faint and the malt is very soft aswell. I don't taste a lot of depth but it is and interesting beer and it starts to grow on me after awhile.

01-26-2006 22:04:10 | More by rhoadsrage
ikats

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

This "handcrafted ancient ale" (nice ring to it) came out of a 12 oz. bottle. It's hazy amber in color. Head? What head? After about a minute there is barely a tiny bubble in the glass. Nice initial sweet aroma, but with more investigation it readily shifts into weird funky notes. Lots of honey in the taste. Sweetness on your lips, strength in your throat. Practically no carbonation. The taste is all wrong for me. Gold it ain't! This is the second time I am touched by Midas, and I feel just as abused as I did the first time.

One important note: Even though I find this brew undrinkable, I do appreciate DFH's experimentation. And imagining beer-loving Indiana Jones in search of King Midas' tomb to discover the secret of the "ancient ale" is just plain cool! I'll add some extra points to mouthfeel as my way of encouraging DFH's contant search for new and cool ideas in brewing.

01-20-2006 04:41:37 | More by ikats
RedHaze

Nebraska

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a very clear, somewhat pale copper color with very little head that quickly recedes, and leaves only fine traces of lace.

Smell; this has a very vinous smell, that I'm sure is from the grapes that this was brewed with. There's also some some sweet malts and honey.

Taste; the honey and the grapes really stand out, and makes for a very sweet drink. I've had saffron before, and I can detect a small amount in the taste, as well as a slight alcohol burn. This tastes more like a champagne, or sweet wine, than it does a beer to me. Given that, it's still not bad, and is definitely one of the more unique beers that I've had.

Mouthefeel is kind of one the thin side, but It's one easy to drink beer. It's disappearing before my eyes.

01-10-2006 02:41:31 | More by RedHaze