Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Always excited to try a new Dogfish Head. I have heard a lot about this beer, but have not read the reviews so that I could keep my mind open.

A- Deep golden color. More of the orange/golden range, not exactly straw colored. Some haze. Nice cream colored head. Decent retention and some lace.

S- The smell was similar to grape soda mixed with sweet caramel and honey. Similar to honeycomb and cinnamon.

T- I don't know if this is what I expected. Peppery and sweet with a hint of blackberry and purple grapes. I don't think this one tasted like wine at all. Just because there were grapes does not mean that it tastes like a wine. Very, very sweet. Some straw and spices. This is strange and very sweet. Gets points for being so obscure.

M- Sticky and medium bodied. Easy going mouthfeel, went down easily. Some burning from the alcohol but otherwise undetectable.

D- I am very happy that I got to try this. Otherwise, I would not go for it again. Decent, but not amazing. Worth a try just to experience it.

3.45/5  rDev -7.5%

Sampled on 10-10-08
Bottle on 6-27-08

Pours a very cool hazy gold color, with a fizzy head that lasts a surprisingly long time.

Smell is very, very subtle fruit, with an almost wine-like dryness at the end.

Taste is also very subtle, a little light fruit and a little honey. Very sweet, but not offensive, and the alcohol adds a warming on the finish.

Mouthfeel is super thick and syrupy, goes well with the style.

Drinkability is not so good, sweet, thick, and high abv.

Overall, not nearly as extreme as I had expected/hoped. Still worth a try though.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

One of the most unique beers I've ever had. I like the fact that the history of this beer is so awesome and whoever thought to conjure up a beer recipe from a tomb is the man. The beer itself is hard to judge just because it's so different. I've never had saffron so I'm not sure what it even smells/tastes like which made it hard. Overall though it smelled decent, had a good well balanced taste and hid the alcohol well for being 9% ABV. Worth a try for sure.

12 oz undated bottle

A - Pours golden to dark golden color. Little head, but tons of carbonation that is almost lager crisp.

S - A very interesting combination of honey and malty sugar notes. Love the subtle hints of saffron in the final smell. Very spicy and intriguing.

T - Starts with a very light bitter note of malt and grape that transitions to sugar sweetness. Finishes with an tart combination of dried honey flavors and spicy saffron. As a curry lover, I really relate to this taste.

M - Has a fairly thick constitution to it. Carbonation is light to non-present, giving it a smooth texture.

D - Not able to detect much alcohol in it, which is very deceiving. This beer probably would wear on me after 2-3 since it is so sweet. But, the uniqueness of it keeps me coming back.

Hard to say how this beer lines up. Is it beer, is it wine, is it mead? All the ingredients make classification hard. Either way, I find it very good.

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Had at a mini DFH tasting courtesy of my buddy Adam.

A. Very clear gold, white head fades to cover the surface and lingers.

S. Weird. Pungent honey, spice, (clove), booze, malty and sweet..

T. More sweetness. From start to finish Midas is sweet -- guess that many adjuncts will do it... grainy and quite mead-like, the honey is really kicking in... the grapes are easy to find but don't help the overall experience. Kind of bready and just a hint of tartness, likely from the grapes. There's a lot going on here but it's rather muddled and too thick and sweet... certainly not a session brew.

M. Thick, dense, dank. Syrupy. Er.

D. Good, if you're surrounded by toned Sumerian babes and drinking this out of clay pots. Otherwise, not so much.

Hrmnnnm... I've had this several times and keep hoping it gets better. So far, no luck. Worth a shot for the weird factor, but the Jiahu is much better. Buy a single and see for yourself.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into Duvel tulip glass. Amazing color from this brew - one of the best looking beers I have seen. Shimmering colors of orange and shades of red from the saffron, nicely done. About a 1 inch head that slowly retreats to a thin sticky lace.

Smells sweet. Light honey in the nose followed by an slightly acidic wine character - muscat grapes clearly pull through. Unfortunately, the taste drops off for me, but prehaps is just not for my personal liking. A sweetness pulls througout the brew, light honey and malty sweetness. Again the grapes make their presence known. The saffron gives a nice herbal character to the brew.

A bit cloying in the sweetness department, not to say that it is bad - just not for me. Glad to try though!

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

This is interesting and overall quite enjoyable but a little on the rough side.

Amber gold, it has a medum, off-white head soon thinning to a lasting, thin foamy ring and wisps.

The aroma is quite nice, freshly baked bread, grain, hints of hay, grapes, sweet wine, hint of honey. It has an overall meaty, alcoholic, fruit-and-grain quality slightly reminiscent of better high-gravity malt liquor, particularly Steel Reserve, or a more pungently alcoholic maibock.

The taste is similar in overall character and in being reminiscent of something like Steel Reserve but more refined and smooth with greater complexity. It is rather sweet with a meaty, pungent, fruity alcohol quality, freshly baked bread at first, plus grapes and raisins, hint of grass and spices, grape skins, sweet wine and raw honey, hint of burnt butter or burnt caramel. Alcohol is quite evident in oily, spicey, feel and warmth but mostly pleasantly so. After the first few sips, the fresh bread quality dies down and the alcohol starts to take over a bit, threatening to become too rough and interfering with the drink a bit but never really dragging the drink down. The fresh bread element, though weakening in the front and middle, remains in the finish.

4.18/5  rDev +12.1%

Golden and crystal clear, a nice finger thick cap of white head reasting at the top.

Smells very funky, has a very strong farmhouse vibe to it. Maybe that's the honey and spice though.

Very sweet, has a nice spicey/grainy feel to it.

Very smooth, a little creamy maybe; slides down the throat like silk.

Very drinkable beer, different but very good.

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Clear golden-amber in color with a white head that retains somewhat poorly.

Smell: Spices and honey-like sweetness, mild fruity esters. Saffron and muscat grapes aren't specifically noticed in the aroma, though this is actually pretty muted overall.

Taste & mouthfeel: Light sweetness and esters up front. Honey is faintly noticed, but I can't taste the saffron at all. There's a touch of spiciness, but coming more from the yeast. Light acidity. The finish is reasonably dry and only slightly bitter. This isn't nearly as cloying as it sounds, but it's not as interesting either. Not a bad brew.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured an orangey yellow with a bit less than a finger of white head. Head is short lived and thin, minor lacing but nothing special.

Smell is wide, grapes, wine, quite a bit of spice.

Taste is very unique, spice dominates, mild sweetness from the honey, a bit of a wine finish.

Mouthfeel is light and dry, very tasty.

Drinkability is good, but I'd have this only once in a great while, as it's really to sweet and spiced for me to have often.

3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

From a 12oz bottle into a ~20oz glass goblet.
The liquor is a hazy golden yellow. The head formed an initial half inch and was stringy on the sides for the rest of the drinking.
The smell was strongly wine (How do I rate that?)
The taste was smooth, alcohol was present and had a bitter "falling" aftertaste. I tasted the grapes and the barley and the honey made this a sweet one, though balanced well with the sour/bitter grapes.
The mouthfeel was average, not very thick, not very thin.
I dont think its a very drinkable beer, maybe two in a night, maybe. Though still a decent offering from DFH. Not something I see being a hit, though I dont think it was meant for that either.

3.3/5  rDev -11.5%

Interesting list of ingredients to this ale: brewed with barley, honey, white muscat grapes, and saffron. On to the beer:

Transculent pale gold color which shines brightly, not much of a head to this brew. The smell is highly concentrated on white grapes, subtle spice in the back (is that the saffron?). As for taste...it's very sweet. It's very light in the mouth, yet with that high level of sweetness and alcohol, feels like one of those strong lagers. The alcohol is well perceived and fusel. All those ingredients expect for the barley are noticed in the beer's flavor. Fairly dry aftertaste, with a lingering honey sweetness.

Experimental beers are usually interesting. This one is no different, but not one I could drink very often because of its sweetness.

2.6/5  rDev -30.3%

Had an opportunity to try a bottle of this at a family party (brother in law bought a 4 pack for $14 and offered me one). Yikes for him, but great for me -- so much for champagne taste and beer budget - literally! As you will see, this is the method I recommend for trying this -- don't pay for it!

A very well crafted, well structured beer, as you'd expect from Dogfish head. Nice deep golden/orange with a decent head to start. Fades to nothing, with little lacing. Pretty.

Smells like you'd expect. First hit is grape, then sweet malt, then spice/bee pollen elements. Smell goes right into taste. How do I put this?...a liquid version of golden raisin bread/toast. The grape is always there, almost Concord grape in flavor. Sweet, honeyed malt flavors, some buttery notes, and a bit of spice.

Flavors coat your mouth and stick with you. Moderate carbonation.

One is enough, maybe even too much.

Another consistently well made brew by these guys. No rough edges here, and they achieved exactly what they set out to do, unfortunately. This beer goes beyond beer snobbishness (something I admit to), right into the kingdom of the beer nerd. All palates are different, as is a level of openmindedness, but this is more about conversation and image than taste here. I can't imagine someone enjoying his, period. Overly sweet. Too damn much grape. I cannot think of what I'd want to eat with this (maybe middle-eastern fare, rice and currant dishes?), or even imagine sitting down with a snifter and sipping this. As I said in the beginning, absolutely be adventurous and try it, mooch one if you can, but do not buy this.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Never tasted something like this before.

Light golden color with barely any white head. Smelled of alcohol.
The first drink had so much going on. It felt like silk on my tongue, left a zing. Crisp taste, tasted like a mix between a pilsner and a kolsch. It had a wheat taste but not strong. You could tell the alcohol was there but it tasted smooth, not overpowering. I am very happy I tried it, and I might get 1 again.. but I'm not sure about a 4 pack. Try it

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a gold brown color with the head disappearing very fast.

Smelled honey, malts, grapes an blends of spices.

The mouth feel was medium light with a lingering taste afterward

For me i could only have one of these it was way to sweet and just wasnt my kind of beer. Definitely not a session beer. I wont be getting this again which i thought id never say for any kind of dogfish head beer.

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I enjoyed this beer, particularly for a fruity spiced beer, but the strong grape flavor overstayed its welcome and I don't think that I'll be picking up another. I believe that I payed four dollars for my bottle, and that's pretty darn expensive for me. I don't love fruited or spiced beers, but I bought it on the strength of Dogfish Head's other beers that I've tried, the 90 min IPA and the Palo Santo Marron, both of which are superb.

Anyway, Midas Touch is a light golden beer with little head but plenty of carbonation. The nose is honey, spices and grape. The taste is stronger on the barley with a lot of sweet grape following it. There's enough spice and malt to balance things out for most of my way through the bottle but not quite enough. The sweetness lingers a bit, like drinking too much Welch's white grape juice. I used to love that stuff, but the flavor defines the term cloying. While Welch's is an over-comparison on my part, the grape flavoring needs to be toned down. The mouthfeel is fine but gets a little sticky, or that could be a flashback to my brown bag lunches in grade school. Drinkability really suffered for me as I made my way to the end of the bottle. I was ready to be done with the lingering sweetness. It's not a bad beer, particularly for the variety, and I wouldn't turn down a free one, but I won't be paying 35 cents an ounce for it again.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

A-Orange-pink amber w/1 finger white head and lots of bubbles.
S-Sweet grapes, malt, rich honey, floral hops, herbal notes, and barley.
T-Sweet upfront w/barley dominating. Lots of flavors mingling, and finish is slightly bitter hops, w/an alcohol warmth and light white grape that lingers w/herbal back-tones.
M-Good carbonation and body, leaning toward the sweet side to the point of being somewhat cloying, and hops don't fully restore equilibrium. But most of the flavors appear subtly & add to the overall product, and there is harmony despite mild imbalance.
D-A decent, interesting brew, but not something I see myself ever craving. Dogfish head consistently delivers, but this one is far from my favorite.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

In a bottle at the Swamp Tavern. Pured in to a pint glass.

Pours a rich gold color and is clear. Thin fizzy head yields little lace.

Smell is a sweet musty 'ancient' smell.

Taste is a spicy bitter flavor. Very complex and multifaceted. Honey, soft fruits, peaches grapes, with a curious spice finish.

Mouthfeel is clean and dry with a little alcohol heat.

Below average drinkability on this one. Full flavored but a little too busy and too much ABV to be sessionable Maybe just one at a time?

4.55/5  rDev +22%

I read about this one when it first came out, so naturally when I saw it on a local shelf, I had to get it. Bottled 6/27/08 - Poured from the bottle into a mini snifter, "beer" is golden in color with a thin ring of carbonation that forms around the edge of the glass. Small amounts of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. The smell is a wonderfull boquett of grapes, a touch of barley and a hint of alcohol. The taste starts off sweet with honey and grapes, transitions to a warming alcohol bite and finishes with a malty, grainy finish. What a transition! The mouthfeel is fuller than I had expected, the carbonation is there but not overly aggressive. Overall, this is pretty drinkable for what it is but it is definitely a sipper although I believe one could easily quaff this. A very interesting beer and worth trying. Hats off to DFH!

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a golden orange color. White head but not much in the way of retention. Some Lacing. Clear with very fine carbonation.

Very aromatic. Sweet fruit and spice. Saffron is easy to pick up. Definite raw honey smell. Sweet grape aroma coming through.

Sweet grape and honey along with some spicy alcohol are picked up immediately. The is some warming going on from the alcohol.

Medium bodied crisp carbonation.

Very different brew, outside the box brewing. While it is respectable for what it is I am not sure I would want more than one.

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%

Out of the bottle this beer was a clear, 24 karat gold color with a thin white head. Visible carbonation rising, sub-par retention but good lacing. Aromas are slightly sweet, wet barley, grapes and apples. The flavors were impressive because they are well blended, especially because they totally conceal the 9% ALC. Honey sweetness first hits your palate followed by the green grape and assorted spices. Gets a little hoppy at the end when a bit of bitterness shows up. The mouthfeel is great, smooth and creamy at first but a little frothy as it goes down. This is (if you dare!) a sessionable brew which amazes me given its knockout punch alcohol percentage. Easy to drink, clean and nuanced without being in-your-face. A little better retention is the only thing it lacks. This brewery makes some great beers but this one is a must try.

3.43/5  rDev -8%

12 oz bottle poured into a beer mug.

Pours a clear light copper color with a very thin white head that lasted until the final sip. Sweet grape, honey and a light lavender aroma. Grapes are the main flavor, starting sweet like a grappa and ending aged like a port wine, there is a sweet honey and raisin taste. Medium body, highly carbonated this has a very dry finish. Nice experimental brew but one per sitting is enough.

4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

Thin patch of off-white head on an orange-golden body, little retention given the high ABV (9%). Fine nose, very sweet with lots of grape front and center, but also a bit of spice (ginger, but also pepper?). Smooth taste but, like the smell, while this is a nice beer, it's not exceptional in any discernible way. Nice, pleasant, smooth, but lacking home-run aspects. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

If there is one aspect of this that stands out, it's the absolute drinkability. The sweet grape, smooth texture, nice malt, all combine to make this one that's easy to down. It's not the best, most complex beer, but it's certainly good, worth trying, and a good effort from Dogfish Head.

Bottle courtasy of kplynch.

This is a 3 year old bottle, I've been delaying the review but cannot ignore it any longer.

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle with a much expired freshness date.
Brilliant gold in color, transparent with medium carbonation rise. Mild 1 finger white head. Little to no retention. No lace either.

Smell is apple's, floral flower aroma, clover honey, giving it a nice sweet aroma, with a mild spice kick.

I wish I had a fresher bottle to sample alongside this one.
Taste is very smooth. No evidence of any alcahol in the smell or flavor! Taste is apply juice in sweetness, with a similar syrupy texture and mouthfeel. Medium wisps of carbonation, but overall very smooth.
Fruity bursts of grape, peppercorn spice.
This is very piculiar indeed.
There is a slight nutieness in there as well.
After the swallow and into the finish it gets a bit sweet. Honey flavor in a honey kolsch likeness comes about.
Finish is creamy and sweet with an apple cider linger.

I watched a show about a year ago on some HD science discover thing. The show unwraped the mystery of King Midus and his shipwreck. The result of scientific findings was this beer.
Making this review all the more exciting. If I could remember where I saw it, I will update the review with a link.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Clear amber color with a lot of carbonation and slight amount of head. Smell has a lot of sweet grapes and honey.

Tastes similar to the smell, sweet grapes and alcohol. Pretty similar to what I remember Dogfish Head's Raison D'etre tasting like when I had that maybe a year ago. It's very sweet and not bitter at all.

Very drinkable for its strength.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery