Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

Hard to rate appearance, as the closest comparison to this I have had is mead. Has a nice rose-tinged pilsner color. Not much carbonation and nil head.

Smell is grape-y bubblegum light pilsner.

Tastes like it smells. Has some sweetness to it, and slight bitterness can be felt on the aftertaste. Saffron might affect color but I cannot detect it in the taste.

Mouthfeel is nice and light, champagne-type carbonation might be good for this elixir as it would match color and taste.

I am surprised how easy this beer is to drink. Heavier beers are my mainstay but I could drink this in the dead of winter.

Recommended.

BelgianAleSlut, Dec 29, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

this beer tried to erupt when i opened the bottle, but there's no head in my glass. highly carbonated, though

the color is a deep gold with a hint of something amber

i smell pils malts, whether or not they're in there. the grapes as well, but not to any great extent. the story of the flavor is similar, but with a much greater sweetness and grape profile. i'm not sure i can detect the saffron...my experience with it is minimal. what gives it bitterness?

tropical fruits abound in the flavor along with the sweet grapiness. i can cull some spice from it all, but it's fleeting. the finish is winey. the more i drink the more i like. it's sweet and heavy, so the active carbonation is really necessary to prevent it from seeming cloying

this is cool. DFH deserves credit for blazing this trail of beverage history (more like retracing steps, i suppose), and this product is yummy—and not just in a relative way

bruachan, Dec 25, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of grapes, spice, lemon, honey & barley. The malt character is faint and there’s not trace of hops.

T: The taste is a combination of fruit, spice and alcohol. I’ve seen the comparison made between this beer and champagne and I’d have to agree. There’s some faint caramelized malt in the background and very little hops, if any. I sampled this beer on-tap at Pitcher’s Pub in Cumberland a few weeks ago and remember it being a bit sweeter with a little more malt backbone.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and a little sticky.

D: Flavorful, but not my type of flavor, not filling, doesn’t go down as easy as most beers, I suppose this would be a good transitional beer for a wine-drinker, but to this beer-lover it seems a bit off. The one good thing I can say about it is that it’s certainly unique, such is DFH’s MO.

TheManiacalOne, Dec 23, 2006
3.73/5  rDev 0%

Interesting offering from Dogfish Head. "Ancient Ale" -I would have liked to have known a little more of the story behind it.

Interesting pinkish-amber colour, almost like a cranberry colour. Looks more like a wine than a bear. Head is unremarkable.

Smell is probably the least impressive aspect. Honey, sweet malts and a strong alcohol character. Grapes are detectable, but not so much for the saffron.

Smooth, honey taste. Noticeable, distinct grape background. Certain savoury flavour -maybe this is from the saffron. Definitely a unique taste, not beer like at all. More like a mead or a liqueur.

Odd mouthfeel, but very enjoyable.

BDTyre, Dec 22, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured a deep amber/gold into goblet with minimal head.

Smells of faint grape and a little spice, not the strongest scented beer to me but pleasant enough also maybe a bit of macro lager in smell.

Mouthfeel much like champagne, slight slick feeling very nice

Tastes of grape which is unusual as raisin taste comes up more in beers. very unusuall beer at the point of swallowing it, lots of grape there like champagne followed by saffron reminding me of saffron rice, I would never have caught this if I didn't eat that. I do not taste honey until the beer warms. edit: this isn't fair but I looked back and agree with the previous references to mead.

This is wonderful, I gave it a drinkability of 5 as I really wanted a second one, but at this level of sweetness and ABV two is plenty.

srrn, Dec 22, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours light straw with hints of purple or blue (I hope I'm not letting the label influence me there), light on the head too. Smells strong of spiceness with which I'm not too familiar. Tastes of malt and honey, I don't get much of the grapes in it. A more knowledgable guy at the local spec's said that his had some kind of funky taste, and reviews here differ too. I'd venture to guess that the batches differ a good bit. Feels big and broad on the tongue, sharp enough to bring the flavors out, but smooth enough to go down well. I get more honey and alcohol at the end. A unique taste and I'm glad to have had it, but I don't think I'll crave it like my favorite stouts or warmers.

jordanmills, Dec 20, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -7.5%

This is an odd beer...

Appearance: Described as "Ayers rock"-colored, slightly hazy. Nice head and some lacing. This is the most normal part of this beer...

Smell: Has a very different aroma. There's a character there that's very tough to describe. Honey and vinuous grapes are present in the nose, but there's something else in the background - maybe that's the saffron?

Taste: Again, very different. Almost savory on some level - again, perhaps the saffron? Honey and fruity grapes again... Not much in the way of hops, which I guess is no surprise.

Mouthfeel: Good, no complaints at all.

Drinkability: Maybe I'd grow used to it after a couple more bottles, but too different to want to buy again. Glad I've tried it, though!

hunteraw, Dec 16, 2006
3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Crystal clear body was a medium golden color. A quater inch white head dissipated almost instantly. Carbonation is medium in size, average in amount, and rises slowly. Lacing in ribbons.

Interesting aromas in the first whiff. A light grape scent blends with a weak honey scent. A saffron note fades in and out, without leaving any impression when it's gone.

Very nice taste of grapes. A spiced finish has hints of pepper and clove. A second sip provides an additional taste of weak honey on the edges of the tongue. Light taste of hops acid.

A lightly tingling carbonation effect. Average viscosity stalls a bit on back of tongue.

A interesting offering in a broad style. Gret beer for cocktail hour before a party. Not an everyday beer, but if I am looking for something in this style, I can see this one as a session beer.

RedChrome, Dec 16, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

served into a tulip glass from a 12oz.brown bottle dated 7/27/06.

Golden color,white head loudly fizzing down to nothing,like soda.Lots of tiny particles,very lively,many tiny string of bubbles rising from the middle bottom of the glass.

Smells sweet,fruity,reminicent of white wine.A clean,fresh,pleasing aroma.

A sweet taste,white wine grapes,very fruity,a sour/sweet mid taste,notes of honey throughout. An interesting tasting brew,tastes more like mead than beer.

A light mouthfeel,yet cloying and sticky,makes the tongue swell at the finish. 9.0 alcohol,no taste of alcohol to me. Hard to really score this beer,have nothing to compair it to. Overall,kind of enjoyed this interesting beverage,worth a try if you like different and interesting.
I would say that a wine drinker would enjoy this beverage.

jcdiflorio, Dec 14, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a bright, slightly hazy gold color, with a decent sized head. Nice amount of carbonation noted.

Beer smells quite floral, sweet, and creamy. A very pleasant aroma.

First impression of this is that the mouthfeel of this one reminds me a bit of barleywine. But with lighter flavors. Instead of dark fruit and hops flavors, this one has some herb and spiced characteristics. Beer is slightly tart, very creamy, crisp and dry on the finish. Interesting, yet pretty enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is quite big, with just a hint of alcohol heat.

Kudos to DFH for making a very interesting, and tasty brew. Haven't had anything really like it. It seems to me to be quite creative. Not sure that I would ever find me self pining for another one of these, but I am certainly glad I tried it, and would be happy to try it again sometime.

MuenchenerKindl was nice enough to send this one my way...

flexabull, Dec 13, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: A crystal-clear, golden orange beer that seemed to shine in the glass. This beer usually pours with hardly any head, but this time I was rewarded with some coarse white bubbles that rose up to the height of my little finger. It quickly dissipated leaving a thin ring of bubbles around the side of the glass.

Aroma: Once I smelled this beer, I knew I was in for something completely different. The aroma was thick with honey, puctuated by a bite of alcohol. Lots of grapes added a strong fruity component. Some melon and light, bready malt were present as well. I'm not sure what saffron smells like (which the bottle says this beer has), but there was something present that I can only describe as a "red and fuzzy" smell.

Mouthfeel: A medium-bodied beer which was oily and coating, as well as a little chewy. An interesting feel and not at all what I was expecting.

Taste: A backbone of bready, almost sourdough-like, malt provided a solid platform for the myraid of other flavors that were present. Lots of honey accomplanied by some floral, almost perfume-like, notes. (I wonder what kind of honey they use.) Strong grapes and apples were also in the limelight. Light alcohol emerged on the finish, along with a little grapefruit bitterness.

I'm usually not a fan of beers that have a lot of perfume-like floral flavors (e.g., DeuS), but this was a good brew. Just a great mix of flavors and aromas and a nice chance of pace.

Quaffer, Dec 10, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Had this beer on tap @ firewaters in Atlantic City

Wow, so much going on with this beer, the smell, taste mouthfeel, like no other beer ive had. It really felt like the beer was more than a 9% abv, not a beer for the faint, and a slow drinking beer. Def try it if you can get your hands on it

bonbini26, Dec 09, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -14.2%

Aroma: Grapes... white grapes... which is good b/c the label says it is made with white grapes. Unfortunately the grapes over power everything else and all I can smell are grapes. It reminds me of either white grape juice or a sweet white wine, which for me is a different smell coming from a beer.

Look: A light golden that is quite clear. The head is made of tiny bubbles and dissipates very quickly. The beer continues to bubble through the whole drink. Not much of a drink to look at, b/c it doesn't look like anything is in your glass ;)

Taste: Grapes. It is a sweet beer and the honey must help in this respect but I didn't taste/smell any of that honey, and would have to say the grapes are the prime reason for the sweetness (the white muscat is used for some sweet wines). The grapes also do a good job at hiding the ABV. The whole drink and aftertaste is dominated with the taste of white grape.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and light.

Conclusion: I enjoy Dogfish Head brews but this one is a toss up for me. Though I wouldn't refuse it (there was nothing bad about it), I wouldn't necessarily go back for it. Though I liked what they tried to do, I was expecting something a little more complex in taste but the white muscat grapes are just so over powering there is little complexity to the drink. Possibly brewing it with a different grape would change things?

screws, Dec 05, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -30.8%

When I had this on draft at the brewpub in Rehobeth it was really tasty to the point that I felt compelled to buy two, four packs to take home.

Somewhere between Delaware and PA, either my taste buds went south or the bottled version is different from the draft version. Out of the bottle this beer is way too sweet, and I like sweeter beers. I also like a little bitterness to the beer. At the brewpub I wasn't blown away by sweetness but by balance. In the bottled version it had none.

Unless you like the taste of sweet wine mixed with beer you might want to skip this one. As many other reviewers have noted, kudos to DFH for innovation but I'll stick to their IPA's in the future.

DomErie, Dec 04, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Deep golden color, very clear, with a small, scattered white head, and modest carbonation.

Aroma: Quite complex, with spicy earthy notes, grape skin, honey, and sweet alcohol.

Taste: Opens with a sweet mead-like note, followed by spicy clove notes, and hot solvent alcohols. Finishes with a lingering spicy alcohol note, and a mild earthiness.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, quite pleasant, with champagne-like carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Quite unique, as it possesses the characteristics of both beer and mead.

Pegasus, Dec 03, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -27.6%

A 12 oz. bottle (dated 7/06) poured in a pint glass, the Midas Touch is a light orange with a very thin head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lace. The aroma is very faint and unassuming, not much different then a Budweiser, or maybe a bit like a club soda. The taste however was nowhere near as subtle, almost entirely dominated by the sweet taste of honey with a touch of champagne. I have never tasted a honey beer that tasted so much like raw honey, almost as if it didn't fully ferment, or they added some extra at bottling. This made it to sweet for me, and I generally favor a sweeter beer. I did not pick up any traces of the saffron, and my Mom makes a mean paella, so I'm pretty familiar with it's taste. I guess it just got lost in the honey. I really liked what I assume I was tasting of the white grapes, reminding me a bit of a Saison, and wish that had been brought out more. As it was, with a fairly thin mouth feel and overbearing sweetness, I did not find this beer to be that drinkable, and would probably not bother with it again, unless I had cellared one for a good year or two, in hopes of easing the sweetness.

ccrida, Nov 28, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Minimal, bubbly head and a slightly hazy, orange-straw color. Lots of carbonation in the form of big bubbles.

Sweet, grape aroma that strikes me as somewhat similar to a Riesling wine. A hint of spiciness at the end that may be the saffron.

Flavor is rather sweet at first with a white grape juice and Riesling taste that is followed by a bit of malt and breadiness and finished with some spice, saffron and a clean, somewhat dry and bitter finish.

Smooth, medium-light bodied with a clean finish and a mouthwatering feeling.

Very interesting brew that is like a rich wine.

AaronHomoya, Nov 27, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a bright hazy gold with a rather unresilient foamy white head that drops quickly to a thin lacing.

Aroma is interesting. Champagne-like white grapes, sweet honey, and a light yeasty note. There's something else I cannot place, but that's probably the saffron, considering I have no idea what saffron smells like.

Honey and grapes are overpowering. Earthy/buttery malts, strongly spiced, and somewhat of a warming alcohol feel, though for the ABV the alcohol taste is pretty light.

Despite the excellent level of carbonation and the warm alcohol phenols, this is pretty thin-bodied, but very smooth and refreshing, even a bit silky. Average drinkability at best. Very unique beer and definitely worth trying, though there's nothing that particularly stands out about it.

Phocion, Nov 25, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Pouring this beer produces a foamy white head that disappears quickly. The body is a lightly-hazed, glowing amber and orange displaying light carbonation.

The nose is very aromatic with smells of fresh grapes and apples. Strong, sugary and spicy scents of candied ginger and cinnamon sharpen the fruit smells. As per the label, some saffron is noticeable as well. Alcohol presence is notable with a light burn in the nostrils.

Sweet sugar flavors give way to a very fresh and sweet taste of white grapes. Moderate spice flavors add some liveliness to the midpoint of a sip. Sweet honey is added closer to the finish to provide a soothing sense to the palate. The finish is warm with alcohol and the taste of saffron. Very unique.

Mouthfeel is low in carbonation and deliciously viscous. A long spice presence adds a bit of excitement.

Drinkability is just above average. This is certainly a once-in-a-while beer that is extremely unique and enjoyable to sip.

Budlum, Nov 22, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from the 12oz bottle.

This beer pours a deep gold with a fizzy just off white head that dissipates after not too long. The smell is very sweet with a lot of the white grapes and honey coming through. The taste is sweet up front and honey folled by the grape flavor which echoes raison d'extra a bit because of its raisin flavor. Still the taste still says beer despite these unfamiliar flavors. The mouthfeel is quite full bodied with very lively carbonation. Due to all of the residual sugar, it is also a bit sticky. Overall, I really like this beer. It masks the alcohol very well and is quite enjoyable. It is quite different but wow what a good beer.

MSchae1017, Nov 22, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -13.4%

The Midas Touch was a surprise- I expected a beer with more complexity in flavor, but it was as advertised. A very pale golden pour with a vanishing head and no lacing, aromas were not attractive, almost like a skunked import, but thankfully tasted nothing like it. Immediately the taste was overpowering honey sweetness, followed by a slight sour grape, champagne-like finish. Mouthfeel was lighter than I would have expected, and the sweetness hides the ABV very well. I was hoping for something more interesting, but this beer was another good one from Dogfish.

kernalklink, Nov 19, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

I was given two 12 ounze bottles by a friend who already had a full case. I poured one into a pint glass. There was about one quarter inch of head that dissapeared as fast as it appeared. There was a ton of carbonsation though. I never thought about it, but I guess that the amount of carbonation is negatively corralated with amount of head (beermail me if I'm wrong). The smell was definatly that of honey, very sweet. The taste was also similar to the smell. I do wish it was more "spiced" though. The mouthfeel was that of a soda, but with a nice smooth twist to it (curious I know). A great drink. Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Nov 18, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -4%

Everything King Midas touched turned to... a saffron colored liquid with a vigorous amount of carbonation? I don't mind a bit that Golden Exilir isn't a golden elixir because this color works just fine. The pale orange crown is cracklingly fizzy to start, then settles down and maintains a one finger thickness for a respectable amount of time. It isn't sticky, though, and very little lace ends up on the glass.

The nose, while different, is neither aromatic nor interesting. I can easily appreciate the white grapes and the honey, but not the saffron. It would help if had any idea what saffron smells like. I really expected more complexity from this brew. Perhaps it'll be present on the palate.

Midas Touch is one of those beers that doesn't impress me right out of the gate, yet has the potential to do so over the course of the bottle. Like the nose, there isn't much depth. This is a vast oversimplication, but DFHMTGE reminds me of a maibock: sweetish blond malt coupled with a lack of accessory flavors.

Sure, the dessert wine fruity sweetness of the Muscat grapes is present, as is the somewhat subtle honey flavor provided by the... uh... honey, but it doesn't tantalize my taste buds with tremendousness and make me impatient to take another sip. I'm sure the saffron added color. I'm not so sure it added flavor. Time to visit the spice rack.

The mouthfeel is the best part about this beer. It's full and lush and viscous without being overly thick or sticky. The initially boisterous bubbles have now settled down and are barely noticed in the mouth.

I love the story behind the inspiration for Midas Touch Golden Elixir. It's just too bad that it isn't better beer. Dogfish Head continues to be an interesting craft brewery that thinks and brews outside the box. With a few notable exceptions, however, the end product doesn't match the hype.

BuckeyeNation, Nov 10, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +18%

Served in a tulip chalice, right from the bottle, just a hair under 60 degrees.

First and foremost, this isn't beer. This is mead. Actually, you could call this a beer, a mead, or a muscat wine. Very much all three.

Pours a beautiful golden colour - the colour you *wish* mead were. Crystal clear with a champagne-like off-white head, and even the little trails of bubbles. Suds fall fast but last long enough to lace half the glass.

Smell is true to the constituent ingredients - honey, sweet grape, and even a little saffron (though not as much as you might fear/hope). Little notes of citrus appear with the grape on the occasional sip. Doesn't smell boozy at all, excepting that warm-leather nuance that sweet spiced highvols have.

Taste is surprisingly mild and clean. Nowhere near as sweet as a traditional mead, but the flavours make it seem sweeter than it really is. First flavour somehow reminds me of buttercreme frosting. A surprising amount of bready yeasts and grains hit after all of those delicate scents. Finish is very muscat with hints of . . . red meat (probably the saffron talking)?

Possibly the smoothest fermented beverage I've ever had, but not sticky. Being neither tart, nor sappy, nor bitter, and not even boozey, it's almost hard to sip slowly enough to really enjoy the depth in this one.

ojiikun, Nov 10, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours an amber color with a small white head. It smells sweet, like honey, grapes, and something I'm not exactly sure what, I assume that's the saffron. The taste is very sweet as well, like honey and grapes, and some other unfamiliar light spicy taste (like the smell, I assume it's the saffron like it says on the label). There's also some alcohol warming in the taste too. The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, with medium body. The drinkability is OK too, but one might be my limit at a time since it's very sweet. Overall this is a very unique beer. I still don't know what to make of it. I'd drink it again, but it's something I would have to be in the mood for, since I don't think this is a beer I could drink all the time.

bluejacket74, Nov 10, 2006