Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -30.3%

Had an opportunity to try a bottle of this at a family party (brother in law bought a 4 pack for $14 and offered me one). Yikes for him, but great for me -- so much for champagne taste and beer budget - literally! As you will see, this is the method I recommend for trying this -- don't pay for it!

A very well crafted, well structured beer, as you'd expect from Dogfish head. Nice deep golden/orange with a decent head to start. Fades to nothing, with little lacing. Pretty.

Smells like you'd expect. First hit is grape, then sweet malt, then spice/bee pollen elements. Smell goes right into taste. How do I put this?...a liquid version of golden raisin bread/toast. The grape is always there, almost Concord grape in flavor. Sweet, honeyed malt flavors, some buttery notes, and a bit of spice.

Flavors coat your mouth and stick with you. Moderate carbonation.

One is enough, maybe even too much.

Another consistently well made brew by these guys. No rough edges here, and they achieved exactly what they set out to do, unfortunately. This beer goes beyond beer snobbishness (something I admit to), right into the kingdom of the beer nerd. All palates are different, as is a level of openmindedness, but this is more about conversation and image than taste here. I can't imagine someone enjoying his, period. Overly sweet. Too damn much grape. I cannot think of what I'd want to eat with this (maybe middle-eastern fare, rice and currant dishes?), or even imagine sitting down with a snifter and sipping this. As I said in the beginning, absolutely be adventurous and try it, mooch one if you can, but do not buy this.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Never tasted something like this before.

Light golden color with barely any white head. Smelled of alcohol.
The first drink had so much going on. It felt like silk on my tongue, left a zing. Crisp taste, tasted like a mix between a pilsner and a kolsch. It had a wheat taste but not strong. You could tell the alcohol was there but it tasted smooth, not overpowering. I am very happy I tried it, and I might get 1 again.. but I'm not sure about a 4 pack. Try it

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a gold brown color with the head disappearing very fast.

Smelled honey, malts, grapes an blends of spices.

The mouth feel was medium light with a lingering taste afterward

For me i could only have one of these it was way to sweet and just wasnt my kind of beer. Definitely not a session beer. I wont be getting this again which i thought id never say for any kind of dogfish head beer.

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I enjoyed this beer, particularly for a fruity spiced beer, but the strong grape flavor overstayed its welcome and I don't think that I'll be picking up another. I believe that I payed four dollars for my bottle, and that's pretty darn expensive for me. I don't love fruited or spiced beers, but I bought it on the strength of Dogfish Head's other beers that I've tried, the 90 min IPA and the Palo Santo Marron, both of which are superb.

Anyway, Midas Touch is a light golden beer with little head but plenty of carbonation. The nose is honey, spices and grape. The taste is stronger on the barley with a lot of sweet grape following it. There's enough spice and malt to balance things out for most of my way through the bottle but not quite enough. The sweetness lingers a bit, like drinking too much Welch's white grape juice. I used to love that stuff, but the flavor defines the term cloying. While Welch's is an over-comparison on my part, the grape flavoring needs to be toned down. The mouthfeel is fine but gets a little sticky, or that could be a flashback to my brown bag lunches in grade school. Drinkability really suffered for me as I made my way to the end of the bottle. I was ready to be done with the lingering sweetness. It's not a bad beer, particularly for the variety, and I wouldn't turn down a free one, but I won't be paying 35 cents an ounce for it again.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

A-Orange-pink amber w/1 finger white head and lots of bubbles.
S-Sweet grapes, malt, rich honey, floral hops, herbal notes, and barley.
T-Sweet upfront w/barley dominating. Lots of flavors mingling, and finish is slightly bitter hops, w/an alcohol warmth and light white grape that lingers w/herbal back-tones.
M-Good carbonation and body, leaning toward the sweet side to the point of being somewhat cloying, and hops don't fully restore equilibrium. But most of the flavors appear subtly & add to the overall product, and there is harmony despite mild imbalance.
D-A decent, interesting brew, but not something I see myself ever craving. Dogfish head consistently delivers, but this one is far from my favorite.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

In a bottle at the Swamp Tavern. Pured in to a pint glass.

Pours a rich gold color and is clear. Thin fizzy head yields little lace.

Smell is a sweet musty 'ancient' smell.

Taste is a spicy bitter flavor. Very complex and multifaceted. Honey, soft fruits, peaches grapes, with a curious spice finish.

Mouthfeel is clean and dry with a little alcohol heat.

Below average drinkability on this one. Full flavored but a little too busy and too much ABV to be sessionable Maybe just one at a time?

4.55/5  rDev +22%

I read about this one when it first came out, so naturally when I saw it on a local shelf, I had to get it. Bottled 6/27/08 - Poured from the bottle into a mini snifter, "beer" is golden in color with a thin ring of carbonation that forms around the edge of the glass. Small amounts of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. The smell is a wonderfull boquett of grapes, a touch of barley and a hint of alcohol. The taste starts off sweet with honey and grapes, transitions to a warming alcohol bite and finishes with a malty, grainy finish. What a transition! The mouthfeel is fuller than I had expected, the carbonation is there but not overly aggressive. Overall, this is pretty drinkable for what it is but it is definitely a sipper although I believe one could easily quaff this. A very interesting beer and worth trying. Hats off to DFH!

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a golden orange color. White head but not much in the way of retention. Some Lacing. Clear with very fine carbonation.

Very aromatic. Sweet fruit and spice. Saffron is easy to pick up. Definite raw honey smell. Sweet grape aroma coming through.

Sweet grape and honey along with some spicy alcohol are picked up immediately. The is some warming going on from the alcohol.

Medium bodied crisp carbonation.

Very different brew, outside the box brewing. While it is respectable for what it is I am not sure I would want more than one.

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%

Out of the bottle this beer was a clear, 24 karat gold color with a thin white head. Visible carbonation rising, sub-par retention but good lacing. Aromas are slightly sweet, wet barley, grapes and apples. The flavors were impressive because they are well blended, especially because they totally conceal the 9% ALC. Honey sweetness first hits your palate followed by the green grape and assorted spices. Gets a little hoppy at the end when a bit of bitterness shows up. The mouthfeel is great, smooth and creamy at first but a little frothy as it goes down. This is (if you dare!) a sessionable brew which amazes me given its knockout punch alcohol percentage. Easy to drink, clean and nuanced without being in-your-face. A little better retention is the only thing it lacks. This brewery makes some great beers but this one is a must try.

3.43/5  rDev -8%

12 oz bottle poured into a beer mug.

Pours a clear light copper color with a very thin white head that lasted until the final sip. Sweet grape, honey and a light lavender aroma. Grapes are the main flavor, starting sweet like a grappa and ending aged like a port wine, there is a sweet honey and raisin taste. Medium body, highly carbonated this has a very dry finish. Nice experimental brew but one per sitting is enough.

4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

Thin patch of off-white head on an orange-golden body, little retention given the high ABV (9%). Fine nose, very sweet with lots of grape front and center, but also a bit of spice (ginger, but also pepper?). Smooth taste but, like the smell, while this is a nice beer, it's not exceptional in any discernible way. Nice, pleasant, smooth, but lacking home-run aspects. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

If there is one aspect of this that stands out, it's the absolute drinkability. The sweet grape, smooth texture, nice malt, all combine to make this one that's easy to down. It's not the best, most complex beer, but it's certainly good, worth trying, and a good effort from Dogfish Head.

Bottle courtasy of kplynch.

This is a 3 year old bottle, I've been delaying the review but cannot ignore it any longer.

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle with a much expired freshness date.
Brilliant gold in color, transparent with medium carbonation rise. Mild 1 finger white head. Little to no retention. No lace either.

Smell is apple's, floral flower aroma, clover honey, giving it a nice sweet aroma, with a mild spice kick.

I wish I had a fresher bottle to sample alongside this one.
Taste is very smooth. No evidence of any alcahol in the smell or flavor! Taste is apply juice in sweetness, with a similar syrupy texture and mouthfeel. Medium wisps of carbonation, but overall very smooth.
Fruity bursts of grape, peppercorn spice.
This is very piculiar indeed.
There is a slight nutieness in there as well.
After the swallow and into the finish it gets a bit sweet. Honey flavor in a honey kolsch likeness comes about.
Finish is creamy and sweet with an apple cider linger.

I watched a show about a year ago on some HD science discover thing. The show unwraped the mystery of King Midus and his shipwreck. The result of scientific findings was this beer.
Making this review all the more exciting. If I could remember where I saw it, I will update the review with a link.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Clear amber color with a lot of carbonation and slight amount of head. Smell has a lot of sweet grapes and honey.

Tastes similar to the smell, sweet grapes and alcohol. Pretty similar to what I remember Dogfish Head's Raison D'etre tasting like when I had that maybe a year ago. It's very sweet and not bitter at all.

Very drinkable for its strength.

3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: There was a clear yellowish color with a white head. The carbonation was very fine and seemed to have a medium amout of carbonation.
S: The first think that is present in the aroma is the honey, that seems to have a flat quality. A little bit of citrus, too. There is some sweetness coming through. Also there is a touch of sourness.
T: Some honey sweetness is coming though in the front of the palate. A little bit of spice. The flavors are all very subtle and hard to pick out a lot of them, but there is a large amount of complexity present. There is some wine/grape juice flavors in the middle of the palate. The aftertaste leaves the mouth very thick.
MF: Light body with high carbonation.
D: I enjoyed this beer, but at the same time it was much more subtle than I was expecting. It is a very interesting concept, but I probably wont be buying too many of these bottles.

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a yellow-gold color with a thin one-finger head. Carbonation seems even.

Aroma is mainly honey with saffron and only a hint of grape. Sweet. Similar to a few other beers I've had where they claim to be based upon ancient recipes.

Taste starts out sweet with the honey and saffron.Spiciness kicks in the middle with Grape is noticeable at the back of the throat. Seems to be a good experiment in extremes.

Mouthfeel is mainly the mixture of tastes (sweetness, spiciness) and it becomes light and fluffy all the way at the back of the throat, as if you didn't even drink a thing. Finishes smooth in other words. Alcohol warmth is present and with some aging, will no doubt fade over time.

An complex and interesting ale. I can honestly say I haven't had anything like this before. I have had a few examples of ales claiming to be made with ancient recipes. Those were either too cloying or too mundane. This one has the right balance. For that reason, I'm going to rate it higher than typical reviews. You have to be able to pick out the flavor in order to truly enjoy this ale. As I said, it might be even better with some aging and might take on more of a port-like quality. I'm no expert there but this is worth a shot at least once. Try it. It won't hurt you.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a golden yellow with a one finger white head. Very small floaters are visible, but they don't really detract from the appearance at all. Slight lacing.

Aroma is quite tart, probably due to the muscat grapes, but it is also sweet at the same time. Saffron is barely noticable. Almost smells like candy.

Taste starts out with a burst of honey-like sweetness, that quickly becomes spicy and somewhat tart. The finish is lightly bitter, with some earthy hops.

Mouthfeel is medium. Carbonation level seems nice.

Overall, a very interesting beer. Not really what I would call drinkable, but it's pretty tasty.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a golden yellow with quickly disappearing head. Honey is there in the aroma-but I also get a slight soda sweetness as well. Taste reminds me of mead, but also I get a 7-up taste from the sweetness of the honey. Mouthfeel is light and at the same time smooth. Drinkability isn't very high for me. I can't see drinking more of this soon. I like this beer from DFH, but I think I will pass on having another one of these for a while.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

Dark golden colored topped with a foamy white head that settles down a bit. This is sweet and tangy with lots of grapes and honey and a bit wine-like. Some alcohol shows and the whole thing seems a tad too sweet. Aftertaste is sour. Pretty good sipper and not surprising with Dogfish Head it's a bit different.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a crystal clear medium golden color with a stingy white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is interesting! I'm picking up some sugary candy smells as well as some dried fruits like cherry, grape and plum. Little bit of spicy/phenolic in the background. Taste isn't what you'd think from the smell. Tastes like a port mixed with a beer fermented with a Belgian yeast then flavored with cooking spices. A bit of alcohol as she warms. Finishes kinda sweet with a lingering spice that holds the taste buds hostage. Thick body, sticky mouthfeel, ample carbonation. Different to say the least. I couldn't see myself drinking this one very often, but I'm glad Sam brewed this for me to try.

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Very impressed. Sam Calagione does it again with another wonderful, yet different approach to what we love as beer.

At first thought, I was skeptical. The muscat grape and saffron mix seemed a bit on the fantasy side of things but I said why not.

Poured into a snifter to relish in its beauty. Expected a red red wine but a purple amber if you will.

Very small, off white diminishing head, but thats alright, it paid off in the smell. Aroma of honey, grapes, malt and what Im guessing, a pinch of this saffron.

First sip, not what I had expected. Goes down very smooth with a nice warm unexpected alcohol to the throat. Second sip, I had made my mind up, it was good. Very good.

A bit sticky and absolutely chewy, a lot of unfermentable. But all in all, a great addition to the wall.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance- It is a dark cloudy gold brown color. The head disappears very quickly.

Smell- It has almost like a port mixed with beer aroma. It smells like figs prunes and grapes. There is also very bitter sweet floral aroma. I am not sure if that is hops or not but you definitely smell the malt.

Taste- It tastes the same as smell. It has a lot of spice in the flavor but mainly fruity and bitter. It has dry wine like after and you can taste some alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Full and mildly carboated.

Drinkability- It was great sipping beer and I would dink it again.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

so if everything you touch turns to gold, what about your wang? golden junk? my girlfriend probably wouldn't complain...

pours a hazy golden color, has a small white head. the nose is sweet grapes and honey. taste is very sweet, honey, some fruit. medium to full bodied, low carbo, sweet finish.

not my first choice of a beer but definately different. my only complaint is that its too sweet and too expensive. damn you King Midas!

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

A wheat brown with golden highlights. Very little head, there is only a collar of white where the edge of the glass meets the surface of the beer.

Smell is minimal. A mild scent with notes of honey and green grapes, almost wine like. It also can move towards a cider sweet smell.

Tastes more like a cider then a wine or beer. A green apple with a hint of grape flavor that moves to a honey aftertaste. Clean and crisp with a mild bite that is either from hops or carbonation. You can't really tell because of the moderate flavors.

Smooth and medium bodied, this one is easy to drink despite the 9% abv. However its not a great drink. Its a little too sweet for my taste and has a slightly rough bite and aftertaste. Worth a try but I wouldn't want more then one.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

P- Grape and Gourmet in Va Beach!

A- clear dark gold in appearance. Little head and no lace left behind. Nothing special!

S- barley and hops. The malt is strong as well. I also detect a strong grape odor. Honey is there but not prominent.

T- very spicy in the floral/herbal department. Flavor of alcohol comes out moer in the taste. I also taste slight honey and grape. A very strong potent alcohol and grape mix.

M- alcohol and potent. slightly dry and not as refreshing as one would think.

D- i couldnt get past the strong alcohol flavor and on the way down it burned. If it was warm it would be good. a definite sipper but good nonetheless.

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

From Notes 8-6-08

Eye: Clear gold in appearance . Head formation was never really up there but at least it does have a head. Steady retention of the head, which is more of a thick blanket, and an overall nice texture -creamy- make up for the size...given the type of beer/drink this is I think that this "froth" is more appropriate. Lacing is perfect....it makes up for any flaw in appearance.

Nose: Herbal notes and honey are prominent. Nice overall round mellow aroma. No hops and not much coming from malted barley, mostly comprised of herbs and honey as aforementioned. Some alcohol is noticeable.

Tongue: Honey and some herbal notes, much as in the aroma. Alcohol is present, lending a spicy character to give some balance. Hop bitterness is just there, not really noticeable but if you look for it one can find it. There are also some vinous characteristics here-kinda dry much like a dry white wine.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Mouthfeel is medium-light. The honey in here gives it some body, carbonation is spot on. Great beer, one that everyone should try. This is one for wine drinkers, it would be a nice crossover for them in my opinion, and if you love mead than this one is also for you. This is one I'll definitely be buying again, easy to drink, however, I can't see drinking more than two in a sitting. Just a nice beer to sit and relax with.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery