Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
LPorter33

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Clear, light, weak, watery looking copper, brown yellow coloring. Pathetic head and lacing. Not impressed.

Smell = Strong flavorful scent with high alcohol. I detect lots of fruit and a bit of smoke but the alcohol is bit overwhelming.

Taste = Interesting experiimental beer. I love the sweet, butterscotch aftertaste and it's definitely my favorite part of the beer. There's a lot of sugar here and it would make a very good dessert beer. The initial taste is a blast of alcohol; you can definitely taste the 9%. It's hard to taste a ton of flavor upfront because of the strong alcohol. It's blended well with a pleasant honey taste full of spices and again the aftertaste is delicious. This is a sipping brew though so you should drink it very slowly.

Overall = I'm glad I tried it and it's a very interesting, unique beer from Dogfish. I most lilkely won't buy it again though. It's a little too potent and sweet for me and in its place, I'd rather drink a nice dessert wine or port.

11-23-2005 01:10:50 | More by LPorter33
DarkerTheBetter

4.03/5  rDev +8%

Pours a dark honey color that is slightly murky with a smooth off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells doughy with a bit of teriyaki? There’s also a bit of citrus and pear but I still get a bit of teriyaki, but not in a bad way. Much maltier than I expected in flavor with noticable alcohol. There’s a plumb flavor that fits well with the maltiness. This beer finishes very well with an almost electric lingering sourness and spice that dances on the tongue. This flavor leaves the mouth with almost chocolate taste to it. Wonderfully complex and dynamic. Very thick mouth feel that is deceptively carbonated. I’m thinking this would go well with a smoked gouda. I don’t know If I’d have two of these in a night, but it’s a very well done brew.

11-15-2005 01:17:18 | More by DarkerTheBetter
sinistrsam

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

I am a personal fan of Dogfish Head, so I was excited to try something to unique from a brewery I already love.
The beer poured a dark orange and was somewhat translucent, not exactly unfiltered but not totally clear either. It had no head and left almost no lacing whatsoever.
It had the aroma of some citrus, somewhat malty hints and sweet fruits. The taste, however, immediately hit me with spices, and a lot of alcohol taste. It wasn't overpowering but definitely there. It started bitter and ended up pleasantly sweet; can truly say it was a taste I had never encountered. It was smooth and refreshing, definiely a beer to be served somewhat chilled. I have to respect the creativity Dogfish Head has and the chances they take in brewing. it often leads to exciting things, this being one of them.

11-12-2005 01:55:13 | More by sinistrsam
Ahhdball

1.55/5  rDev -58.4%

No head on the pour. The color is a amber with red highlights. No gold....where's Midas?
Heavy alcohol, extreme spice, honey, grapes and pepper. Raunchy, but I'll try it anyway.
Oof - this is where my "inexperiance" as an advocate comes in. I have a feeling I know what I'm tasting but I can't begin to describe the pain my taste buds are in. An immediate peppery sting inflames the mouth and the grapes, saffron and alcohol kill them off. WTF is Saffron? lol
I dumped this sucker. Sorry DFH.

Oh yeah, and I paid $18 for four of these?! Kill me.

11-09-2005 00:58:11 | More by Ahhdball
nortmand

4.53/5  rDev +21.4%

Pours amber red, I definitely see the saffron influence here. Head make the hssss of soda and quickly disappears to nothing. Very disappointing.

Smell is a complexity of light hops mead and a very slight hint of grape character. Very interesting and complex.

Flavor is also quite complex. Spicy and mead sweet. Not alot of grape character here, though this beer is very tasty.

Slick mouth, which I associate with a nice mead.

Nice and flavorful and very drinkable. A good beer, but a bit pricey at $3/bottle.

11-01-2005 23:32:21 | More by nortmand
Lnedrive14

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Smells of honey and something else I can't quite place (perhaps saffron, but I dont think my nasal passages are quite so refined to detect that). Tastes so sweet. The honey flavors are extremely prevalent.

Quite a spicy aftertaste, with the resonance of honey and fruitiness. All in all, it tastes good, but for some reason I can't drink it that quickly, and I have no desire for any more once I am done.

An interesting brew, but not sure I would drink it again. I think the honey was a bit overpowering. But definitely glad I tried it once.

10-26-2005 03:31:58 | More by Lnedrive14
sopor

Oregon

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Wow this is an interesting and unique brew! Lots of fruity spicy flavors, and I like Saffron. I also get a kick out of the fact that it's almost as expensive as pot!

Sparkling pale gold with minimal champagne-like head, very inactive. Smells spicy and fruity with a slight tang and bread notes.

Light fruity malts with definite fruit flavors and and spices. I knw what saffron tastes like so I can pick that flavor out, and it's good! Honey, saffron and the muscat grapes are distinct but light. Some candy sweetness and vinous-champagne qualities.

Slick but not overly thick & heavy, the carbonation is next to non-existant. A very tasty sipper.

10-25-2005 20:47:04 | More by sopor
blackie

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

appearance: The pour into the snifter creates a low, white, short-lived head. The color of the beer is a light, orange heavy amber.

smell: This beer still confounds my senses, even after sampling it a few times. The honey and barley malt present is obvious. Not so obvious is the essence of the white grapes that become more noticeable as the liquid warms. I feel like I can sense some light hop spice, but may be mistaken. Sweet, complex, and thoroughly interesting.

mouthfeel: Between medium in high in carbonation, and the body is a slick, lighter medium.

taste: The honey sweetness and slickness is the first thing I notice, and it is wonderful. Then some fruity tones from the malt make themselves known. I am really having a hard time commenting on this brew, as it is so unique and complex. Finish is slightly sweet and a little less slightly astringent.

drinkability: Definately not a session beer; not due to the alcohol, but to the sweetness and complexity. My taste buds were worn out after this one. Still, it is drinkable in the sense that it is very good.

10-24-2005 05:29:38 | More by blackie
bubrewer

2.53/5  rDev -32.2%

Pours brilliantly clear, copper colored, and with a white head that does not last long and leaves no lace.

Aroma strikes me as almost all honey, lots of alcohol, and a little spice hiding in there somewhere, but it's hard to discern what spices. Although they list saffron on the label, I have no idea what flavor saffron is supposed to impart since I have only ever used it sparingly for color. Perhaps that's where the copper color comes from, because based on the flavor and aroma, malt is not contributing much.

The flavor, mouthfeel, and aroma all scream "too young mead" to me. It's hot, harsh, and not something I care to drink again. Perhaps cellared for a year or two it would be wonderful. If I ever buy another bottle, it will be with that in mind.

10-24-2005 00:24:56 | More by bubrewer
Gusler

Arizona

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

The beer after its disinterment from the 12-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass a deep copper color with a modest off white head and the lace a thin veil to conceal the glass. Nose has the aroma of honey, quite sweet with a slight hint of fusel alcohol also a bit grassy, start is sweet with a bountiful grain presence, and the top is moderate in feel. Finish has a determined acidity, the hops pleasantly spicy and the aftertaste dry, alcohol warming noticed, a quite nice beer, as I need a big beer today.

10-21-2005 22:07:24 | More by Gusler
TastyTaste

3.45/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: The beer starts foaming up right when the cap is popped. Hazy dark orange.brown color, head is very nice looking with good retention, and a sticky appearance.

Smell: Sweet like honey (mead) and floral, but not in the same way a nose full of hop[s would be.

Taste: Sweet, oh how sweet, honey and grapes give it this flavor. There is also a spiced flavor in the aftertaste, where is sits fairly well with a light graininess.

Mouthfeell: Not highly carbonated, but I suspect that is what this beer was going for.

Drinkabiilty: I would say this is more of a metheglin, with it's strong honey flavors and spiciness. It is a pretty good example of that, but this kind of defies being labelled.

10-18-2005 02:19:07 | More by TastyTaste
jettjon

2.8/5  rDev -24.9%

Since I rated this “Handcrafted Ancient Ale” much lower than most others, I guess I must be missing something. So, on to the second evaluation:

Head from a vigorous pour is thick, creamy and whitish, and fades quickly. From a normal pour, there is practically no head at all. Color is a yellow golden-orange, no doubt from the saffron. If anything, the nose is unpleasant, reminiscent of a bad macro. There’s something else there, though, an underlying sweetness akin to honey with alcohol, presenting as a mead would. Still, it’s almost musty-smelling.

I really focused on the flavor this time around. It’s not quite so meadish, but the alcohol and honey are definitely there. It’s sweet but not incredibly so. There’s a spiciness I can’t place. That alcohol is definitely there and not as well-integrated as some I’ve tried. (Bornem Triple and Gulden Draak come to mind.) I don’t get the saffron/grapes/etc. flavors some are seeing. Just honey, sweet, and alcohol.Mouth is flat with an alcohol and yeast finish, much like a mead. There’s a metallic/yeast after that is not terribly pleasant.

Drinkability is not that great. First, it’s powerfully flavored and tends to overwhelm the taste buds. Second, it’s got twice the ABV of your garden-variety brew, so a couple go a long way.

Overall: Really, I call this a mead-style brew. They claim to use honey and Muscat grapes, so I guess that’s not surprising. However, I would enjoy a good honey mead more than this barley beer/mead concoction. Also, the price that I paid ($2.75 per bottle) is ridiculous. I think what kills it is the unmasked alcohol. It really detracts from what otherwise would be an intriguing style of beer. This is definitely an interesting and probably unique style of beer. I would recommend trying it once, but I won’t be trying it again.

Hey, I rated it even lower this time around. Ain't that a hoot.

10-17-2005 00:35:32 | More by jettjon
Frozensoul327

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

A unique brew from Dogfish Head. Poured out to a deep, dark gold color with a hint of amber in it. Head was rather short lived, but a very thin layer of foam remained after a minute. No lacing. Medium level of carbonation. Aroma was similar to a Monster Energy Drink; scents of herbs, honey, earth and sweet spice were all present, with only a touch of malt toward the middle. Taste was good, but also different; flavors of buttery fruit, floral notes, and grain were all present and well received; some minor malt and earthy characters were also present. Mouthfeel was good, with a thicker syrup like character present, giving the beer a touch of viscosity. Decent drinkability; this beer is probably not one you'd have more than one of in a sitting, but likely one you'd want to revisit. Recommended.

10-12-2005 00:33:56 | More by Frozensoul327
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. An interesting concept beer, let's see if it's more than just a gimmick.

Pours a golden amber, slightly cloudy, with a finger of white creamy foam in my chalice fit for a king. Smell is spicy/herbal up front, like baked goods. Taste starts with the spicy cinnamon, nutmeg and subtle clove, very similar to their Punkin' Ale, then belgian pale fruit, ending in a unique saffron tickle. Mouthfeel is crisp and syrupy, but refreshing. An interesting mix of Punkin' Ale spiciness with some unique belgian like notes. I could drink a few but that's about it. More than just a quirky concept, but not transcendent.

10-10-2005 01:03:15 | More by Golden2wenty1
mentor

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -4%

Well, I'm reviewing this DFH offering in my DFH pint glass that I received as a part of a trade about a year ago. Pretty sure I got the glass from Sulldaddy as part of Secret Santa '04. The beer was obtained from Total Beverage. As it just appeared on the shelves there, I'm guessing this was recently brewed by DFH. Pours a one finger mostly white, but partly drab yellow head. The beer itself is a midly cloudy light pumpkin orange with some particulates suspended within. Smells, oh...stingy rough alcohol, pumpkin, sweet malty and sweet esters, some caramel, wax. Tastes sweet esters, sweet amlt, thick body, with a rough alcohol ending. This is a really rich malty beer and I'll bet it would age really well. Said to be brewed with honey, grapes and saffron. I don't see the honey or grapes and I don't know what saffron tastes like. I guess I just get a malty dark flavor with a hint of spicy flower and a late alcohol burn. Thick body and moderate carbonation. An okay beer that needs time for the alcohol to settle and malty sweet to develop.

10-09-2005 06:36:32 | More by mentor
BierManVA

2.42/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours very golden in color but with no head. Near flat as far as carbonation is concerned.

Smells quite strange, like stale urine or a cheap macro malt liquor that has sat out all night.

Flavor is overly sweet with nasty dry finish. Nearly unpalatable IMO. I could proabably whip up sugar water that tasted better than this.

DFH certainly experiments a lot and I have read some great reviews of this bier. But as far as my taste buds are concerned, this bier is waaay off the mark.

"Stick to IPA's and Stouts Sam"

John

10-06-2005 23:25:46 | More by BierManVA
EStreet20

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

12 ounce brown glass bottle poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - Truly does pour a golden color. A little pale with a one finger white head that drops down to a film over the beer.

S - There's the grapes they describe. The white grapes are definitely leading the way here. Has a lot of white wine type aroma with some bitter alcohol hints on top of the white grapes.

T - A bit bland. More of a bready taste than I'm used to with DFH ales with some of a dry white wine flavor in there. Not bad, but not as flavorful as I expected. I'm definitely not getting the honey coming through much aat all, which I definitely thougt would be evident.

M - A nice carbonation is present here. I do like the fact that this goes down smooth and still has some carbonation.

D - Goes down nice and easy for a high alchohol beer. Can sit with this 4 pack and finish it off on a weekend.

Notes: Wierd beer. One that I definitely don't hate but also don't love. however because it's such a unique flavor I can see having an "itch" to drink this every now and then. All in all good, just not the first or second beer I'd pick for the price on most trips to the store.

10-06-2005 01:36:06 | More by EStreet20
beveragecaptain

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%

12 ounce bottle. Pours out a clear copped color. The aroma is candy sweetness with grapes, like the grapes in grape juice. This beer tastes really weird. It took me a while to figure out if I like it or not. It sort of has a cream ale malt flavor that I don't like. It's much stronger than a cream ale, though, and I do enjoy the fruity grape flavor. Some honey sweetness too. This beer isn't great, but it's certainly unique.

10-01-2005 00:59:09 | More by beveragecaptain
Beaver13

Colorado

12 oz bottle. Pours a copper orange with a fizzy white head that quickly goes to a thin collar and then disappears.

The aroma is some bready malts with a little vinous (white wine) bitterness.

The flavor is very sweet malts with honey and fruitiness (grapes) and a little spiciness. It has a dryish, lightly alcoholic (champagne-like) finish. The aftertaste is very sweet and syrupy (almost treacly as it warms). It's kind of mead-like and wine-like. It's medium bodied and slightly watery.

Overall, a bit too sweet (and expensive) for me, but very interesting considering the backstory.

09-26-2005 05:16:44 | More by Beaver13
Stubbie1

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

This brew ours a deep golden honey with a quickly fading head. No lace, Aroma is of grapes and honey, I get more of a green grape juice sweetness to this than the honey. Saffron? couldn’t find it or anything that could be considered saffron. Taste is smooth, honey, green grapes and a touch of alcohol. Sticky on the lips and a bit warming in the belly. Be a good winter beer when the cold winds blow. For a high ABV I could enjoy a few of these to sip on while I’m lost in T.V land or just chillin……Tastey

09-24-2005 23:50:23 | More by Stubbie1
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz bottle.
Pours out a clear, dark honey color with a thin barleywine type head, sheet lacing, and alcohol legs running down the glass.
Aroma is sweet, malty, grapey, alcoholic. Flavor is sweet& tart (lemony), mildly acidic. Picking up some honey as it warms.
Finish is long and lemony sweet. Tasty Can't drink more than one in a sitting tho.

09-24-2005 09:14:20 | More by Padron4KM
asabreed

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Since I had this chilled before, I'm putting it to the test, the second bottle from my 4-pack. And I think it's still holding up at cellar temperature.

Appearance: Not much head or lacing at all, which I was hoping for (though it's not faint enough to warrant a 3. The color, though, is certainly gold, and I consider myself lucky for drinking it I suppose. Could be better, but nice, is what I'm saying, I suppose.

Smell: Honey and the white grapes come through mostly. Sweet malt and sweet things otherwise. This is a sweet beer (as far as sucrose is concerned), so there should be some sugar there. I know saffron is valued, but I don't know much about it. Either way, this is novel and very nice as far as getting into the glass.

Taste: Honey and grapes, once again, at first. Malts, completely. Slight yeast. Aftertaste is malty, smooth, original, odd, and noteworthy. This is certainly a singular brew.

Mouthfeel: Tons of sweetness -- the body is quite thin, along with the carbonation. But then again, the carbonation is there, but dies at the end. Too much malt and sweetness?

Drinkability: Maybe I should've reviewed this NOT at cellar temperature? I had it a few days ago at a cooler temperature, and I would've given it much better reviews, so I suppose, since I have a few bottles left, I'll possibly do that again with a cooler sample.

HOWEVER, this is a singular beer, and it's more worth a shot than most, as this is a rarity for the most part as far as beers like this. Try it, definitely. DFH continues to experiment, and I'll buy anything they put out because they're tenacious, and really, sometimes it seems like they don't give a shit about how everyone's going to take it. And I love that about them.

09-23-2005 04:33:24 | More by asabreed
12vUnion

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

I'd would have actually rather not given this a score. There really is no parallel in the beer world to compare it with. It is what it is. Dogfish Head always makes unique beer, but not always the most drinkable. But that isn't necessarily the point. Yes, it must be drunk. But it's more of an experience. And Midas Touch is something to be experienced. I can nearly guaranty that you won't be coming back or that you'll easily enjoy it. But give it a try with some friends. It's something to talk about.

The saffron they added to the beer make it a fantastically golden color. Mostly thin and transparent. But it sparkles like pure gold.

It smells of fruit and spice. Heavy alcohol in the nose. Pleasant and intriguing. It draws you in with mystery like an ancient tomb.

The taste takes you in another direction. You can't compare it with another beer. To me, the taste, at least in the front, is strongly similar to a sake or possibly even a rum. The alcohol comes out very strong up front. Grapes, honey and alcohol makes this wine like. Nearly a (cheap) Japanese sake I'd say. But that's misleading. Grape and pear come out pretty well if you can get past the alcohol and spice. There are so many complicated little flavors that your moth tries to lump it all into one sensation.

I'm not sure how much I can actually say to describe it to you. By far not the best beer in the world. But I won't even classify it as a beer. It's entirely out there on its own. I won't enjoy much of it. But I can appreciate everything it is. Disregard the score and just get a bottle. 6 ounces is even a little much, so do share it with your friends. It's an experience to behold.

Note that Midas Touch is another name for grog. A mix of beer, wine, juice and honey. That's actually pretty much what this is.

09-11-2005 22:32:09 | More by 12vUnion
ElGordo

Oregon

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours from the 12oz bottle a bright copper color with just a touch of a fizzy white head. Decent carbonation in the form of tiny, tiny bubbles. Interesting aroma - all ingredients stated on the bottle come through, especially the muscat grapes. Hints of saffron, honey, malt, and a general sweetness pervade the nose. Palate is even more interesting. Sweet with honey and grapes, offset slightly by the sweet malt and herby saffron. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky from the honey, but I guess that's to be expected. Big alcohol kick from the start makes this a longtime sipping beer. Nice, and very interesting.

09-11-2005 04:38:09 | More by ElGordo
GnomeKing

3.88/5  rDev +4%

Kudos again to Dogfish Head for trying something new and expanding our conceptions of what beer can be. Midas Touch is definitely experimental, and though I encourage experimenting, some experiments are interesting failures--not this one, though. It's a success. I couldn't drink glass after glass of this, and it's not going into my regular beer rotation, but it is enjoyable in addition to be interesting.

The taste of alcohol comes through strongly, not masked at all by the tastes of honey and grape that are also present. The aftertaste is tart and lingers for a while, revealing some additional complexity, like slight hints of strawberries.

Beer has no limits. Give this one a shot. If you can, get a single bottle rather than a four-pack.

09-11-2005 02:25:23 | More by GnomeKing