Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

Winey aroma, lace, hoppy plumb white grape content. Alcohol drying that cleas the palate. Meadiness. If I want fruit wine, I will have that. If I want mead, I will obtain that. Apple taste on finish. I guess unique with some dinner. OK, had it. Thanks JoeyC.

Sammy, May 24, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

This brew is a honey colour with fat and sluggish carbonation bubbles that bash their heads at the surface. There was minimal head development off the pour, no ringer, no lacing. It is looking more like a glass of apple juice as my peepers repeatedly size the thing up.

The smell is like dilute purple cool aid. Grape scents and some kind of powdered additive type of smell. Honey is surely noticable in the nose as well. Not sure about saffron, but it is probably in there somewhere too. Never smelled the stuff myself.

The taste has a honey and table sugar gritty sweetness to it. Sure, the grapes are here as well. They make an attempt at keeping the intense honey flavour from becoming a maniac. This is quite a sweet deal. No shortage of sugar. The mammoth sweet character smothers any peep made by the alcohol content. Tons o' honey fo sho!

Sticky and juicy sugar water. Grainy and nearly crunchy as if sugar were falling out of solution and coating my mouth.

I can barely finish this one. I feel the need to shoot up some insulin by the middle of the glass. Way too much sweets.

SupaCelt, May 17, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +12.1%

Not sure how to take this beer. I look at it as almost a braggot, mead/beer mix due to the honey in it. It's great that way. Looks like a lightly carbonated, well, mead. Slightly spicy aroma. Can't put my finger on it, probably saffron, except I'm not sure what saffron smells like. Taste is really interesting and well layered. First taste is beer like, slight hop bite there, then a hint of honey. In the aftertaste, I really pick up the sweet muscat grapes. Full mouthfeel, no alcohol burn that I can pick up on. Well put together and interesting at the same time!

deejaydan, May 13, 2005
3.73/5  rDev 0%

Kind of like a good white zinfindel if such a thing is possible? Sweet but not syrupy with a bit of a tart bite in the middle of the sip; the taste has soft malt notes which I suppose comes from the honey this is brewed with. This makes me think of mead, now that I think about it, but not nearly as thick or cloying.
Lots of stuff going on. This is an interesting concoction. Very deceptive for a 9% alcohol beer. Definately worth a try.
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a chalice.

ommegangpbr, May 10, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Slightly cloudy golden in color. No real head or lacing.

S: Stong grape smells with just a whiff of the saffron used. This may be the first beer I think smells better cold, I say that because now that it's warming a bit, a very strong alcohol smell is coming out that is making it a bit hard to smell the other things in it.

T: Strong alcohol again making it hard to taste the other things. This beer seems to me mostly sweet. Nice honey flavor with a bit of grapes. I can't really taste any saffron here. Hard to get around that solvent like alcohol, though. This tastes almost like a liquor.

M: Punchy alcohol feel, I find it hard to believe this is only 9% ABV. Sweet rather than dry, medium body. Nice level of CO2, but damn is this punchy.

D&N: A nice beer to try, I don't think I'll be buying a six pack of this anytime soon.

JackTheRipper, May 01, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

Everything I came in contact with turned to gold with this one on 4/21/2005. 12-oz. tulip pour at the Sunset.

Very pretty knife’s edge of q/2-inch pillow of carbonation, and hypoallergenic tight. Huge gold hue, crystal clear and utterly mute on the eye. Honey, saffron, white pepper, and vanilla all conspire on the nose to make a complex bouquet. Real sweet on the mouth with clover honey, sarsaparilla, some kind of licorice flavor and almost some sort of rhizome floating about in there. Light body.

Tasty, and would never know that it packs the punch that it does; always enjoyed the 750s of it.

Truh, Apr 24, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -26.8%

Shared 750ml bottle with fellow ba mtanji. poured a hazy amber color with almost no head. There was absolutely no smell. The taste pretty much mathced the smell because there was no taste either. Mouthfeel was of alcohol. I wonder if this bottle went bad

tgbljb, Apr 24, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +12.1%

A one finger frothy head sits atop a clear golden honey colored beer. Few streams of carbonation were seen. Aromas detected started with honey, fruit, grapes, spice and a slight sourness. The taste was a complex mixture of malt and spice, wine and candy. A mouthful ends with a nice honey coating on the mouth. Very smooth beer here. A great session beer, but too rich to drink one after another, in my opinion.

tomthumbsblues, Apr 15, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

This is a very, very funky beer, but I'm rather used to that sort of thing from Dogfish.

This peer poured a crystal-clear orangish yellow, a bit more, umm, lumiscent than most beers (the saffron?). The aroma is very much like a bock, with some sweet honey notes, with just a hint of grape around the edge giving it a fruit note. The taste is very sweet and meadish, but with the muscat grape having a fairly strong presence (in a good way, unlike, say, Corcorde's Concord Grape Ale), with a dry mouthfeel. It's a fairly pleasant beer, but with a funky enough taste that it's a bit low on the drinkability scale (i.e. one of these is plenty, it'll be awhile before I finish the 4-pack).

kaszeta, Apr 04, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

This is a strange, wild, intriguing beer. It sort of reminds me of a cross between a sweet mead and a bock. The beer pours a cloudy, hazy orange color with a soda-pop head. The aroma is distinctly honey-like, with a strong alcohol background. Also mingling in the smell are fruit and spices…apple, grape, pepper, sugar. The taste is intensely sweet, with a serious honey quality. It’s a relatively heavy brew, and I don’t think that I’d be able to have too many. It’s interesting, and worth a try….It’s actually pretty good for what it is, but this one’s not something I’d seek out.

Suds, Mar 29, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

At first this bottle poured vigorously carbonated.. but as soon as it was complete poured, it fell almost flat.. there are tiny bubbles running up the side of the glass that can only be seen on a closer inspection. A bare minimum ring of suds around the glass.
[I have to wonder if there is an issue with the bottling itself here.]

Now, with all that scrutiny out of the way, I think we have a winner here in the style of winter warmers and big ales. It smells, well.. good.. for lack of a better word.With a malty, honeyish nose, but I'm not getting alot of spiciness. The white muscat grapes are very full in the aroma, preparing you for the clean taste ahead. The nose keeps calling you back!

The taste is clean, with some degree of astringence. I get the barley, the honey, the white grapes.. but saffron? I'm no expert on the stuff, so it may well be there right under my nose. It's also possible that the malt is masking the saffron.

As the ale warms, a pleasant but heavy winey, honey aroma comes out, making this ale very much appropriate for cold winter nights (and a grand addition to weekend brunchs it would be!)

CHEERS!

MrSeth, Mar 27, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +8%

A chilled 12 oz bottle from a 4 pack label notched Jan. (no year) from Corral Liquors. The color is a pale, slightly hazed orange. The aromas of honey, grape skins, tart sweet white grapes and alcohol spiciness (saffron?). The head dissipated very quickly with some patchy lace. The carbonation is low. Strong nearly astringant alcohol warming on the swallow. This beer merges with wine in its characteristics. Like a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor that cuts beer from wine DFH's sweet Midas crawls, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and survives as a beer. Very little hop or malt flavors present. Super sweet, sugary, honey flavor with roasted earthy grains in the background. Buttery from an high diacetyl but tollerable with the sweetness provided by the grapes. Hops provide a nearly herbal spice - corriander and citrus. The aftertaste is dry, tart, and crisp. A moderate-to-full body with 9% abv, but drinkable if you like sweet liquids. Suggest you try one from tap or just a single bottle. Many reviewers have asked to have the curse of the Midas touch removed finding it too overwhelming.

karst, Mar 23, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz. bottle. Packaged on notch for the date was ambiguously notched at best, maybe a 1?

Poured a hazy light copper with an almost pinkish-peach tint. No head to speak of.

My first impression was of honey and port wine. Although I didn't read anything about oak aging, the beer did seem to have some oak tannin vibes going. Mezcal?

Alcohol is very noticable and stays with you the entire beer. Buttery almost to a fault, massive diacetyl. Honey lets itself be known. Both slick and sticky on the palate. Strong spicy bite from the alcohol.

Probably the closest thing I've had to a mead. I didn't really notice to much in the way of grapes, but this beer seemed busy enough as is. Interesting, glad I tried it, but not one I'll look for.

Shultzerdugen, Mar 19, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

Finally picked one of these up at Downtown in Somerville.
Pours a golden orange...w/ plenty of light able to pass thru this brew. Just shy of a full finger of off-white head...nice lace...surprisingly attractive.
Not much aroma at first, but as it warms up a bit, you can smell the sweet honey and spice...w/ just a hint of alcohol.
Taste is a flavorful one, but I can tell this is not my type of beer. I'd apprecaite it much more on tap...it is wickedly sweet and it is quite awkward the way the texture splits itself in my mouth. The sweetness grabs the back of my throat, but the carbonated alcohol stays put...lingering for a bit too long.
For me, drinkability is low, but I am not a huge fan of spiced beers...I am glad I gave it a try and would try it again if I found it on tap.

warriorsoul, Mar 17, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +8%

This is my first experience with the Midas Touch although I've know about it and looked forward to it for quite some time. I must be honost, I expect to not like it because of what it's meant to be.

The color is very nice, a very rich honey appearance that sprouted a light, bubbly head that faded to a circle around edge. Slightly cloudy. The aroma is less sweet than I was anticipating. The flavor is kind of earthy with subtle fruit notes. I find this beer to be very much drinkable although not a session beer. Very unique and definetly worth a try. Yet another big beer from DFH.

BCMan, Feb 28, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one poured a light copper color with a small off white head that fell to a ring around the glass. Smells like bread and honey, a good combination. The distince flavor of honey and alcohol at the start, then a nice malty near the end, and finally a bit of hop bite to cap it off. The mouthfeel is pretty decent, with good carbonation and smooth feel. This beer is fairly drinkable. I would enjoy drinking this one again.

soulfly967, Jan 26, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

Definately a strange brew filled with flavors.
The appearance is a very beautiful hazy copper with a very thin head. The aroma is pleasant and has a strong rotting fruit backbone. I can also smell the phenols with a belgian touch. The taste is strange, but enjoyable. There is a sour start, followed by a candied sugar taste. The honey really shines at the end of the sip. The only bad thing about this beer was the burning sensation left on my tongue. It almost felt raw after a few sips. Either way, I can't let that deter me from saying this is one interesting beer that everyone should try to experience. I don't know if I would be buying this by the bottle in the future, but I would like to try it on tap.

ALESwhatCURESya, Jan 25, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +23.3%

Described as ancient ale with barley, honey, muscat grapes, and saffron. Nice description and it tastes every bit like each of these flavors save the barley which is not noticeable. This is why the high scores. I'm tempted to give it all 5's cuz its so crazy unique and appropriate for the description on the bottle. I cannot however--so here is the non-rant review-- I should say --It is Hrathgar's mead though :-()>

A-Red wine vinegar with a 1/2 shot of cognac thrown in is the color. Carbonation probably didn't exist in ancient times. There is none here. No lace either but I doubt an ancient ale should have any.

S-Bready herbal honey smell--some woodiness present too. Is this the Saffron ?

T-Perfect for how it describes itself. DFH does everything well. They are up there on my list anyway. Specifics tastewise:all flavas are present-grapes are the weakest and honey is the strongest. Not like honey in a hefeweiss beer but honey on a piece of buttered toast.

MF-smooth honey-felty-suede- like mouthfeel. Pretty much perfect.

D-only problem here. High ABV and not a style where you want more than one.

rousee, Jan 19, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

at 1st taste I thoght I wasted 13.00 for this 4 pack and as the beer warmed we got to be friends. poured golden amber with no head. aroma honey, grapes alcohol, white wine, fruity. flavor honey, fruity, alcohol very strong, had to check bottle to make sure I was drinking beer and not wine this would go well with stir fry chicken. as it warmed the flavors blended nicely.

walleye, Dec 29, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

12oz bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $4.05. Dated September, though no year is provided (I really wish DFH would start putting the year on their bottles).

Poured a hazy orange color, with a very small off-white head (after a vigorous pour). Not much lace to speak of.

Smell is slightly sweet the honey), slightly sour and winey (the muscat grapes), and very slightly spicy (presumably the saffron). It's all very mild smelling, bordering on bland.

Taste is much like the smell: only very mildly interesting. The honey flavor seems most dominant, with the white muscats providing a sourness to balance and not much else. Somewhere in the middle is a very slight spiciness. The finish is mildly dry.Not bad tasting, but not too memorable either. There's also an alcohol taste that gets more noticeable as the beer warms up.

This is a little bit heavier than one would suspect. I don't know if it is because of the honey or what, but based upon the flavor, I would have expected it to be more light bodied.

Not a bad beer to sip, but not particularly compelling either. At 9%abv, I don't think it would make a particularly good session brew.

woemad, Dec 21, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: When poured into a tulip glass, this beer yields an off white head of 2" that has very good retention and finally settles to a thin lace upon the surface of the beer. The body is a pale golden color with a slight hue of amber.

Smell: This has a full nose of quite a few scents. Honey is the foremost, with some medicinal phenolic scents towards its end. I think subconciously I can also detect the white muscat grapes they list as ingredients. I will admit detecting a wine like aroma when inhaling deeply. Sort of like the sting of a cheap unoaked Chardonnay.

Taste: Different than other ales, this has a taste all its own. It has a decadent character that melds the astringency of white wine with the dryness and alcohol of say a Strong Pale Ale, which is then further complexed by the other obscure ingredients. The honey lends a strong sweetness, the saffron (which though potent, can't be practical) seems to hide below, only lending the slightest of its flavor. There's no denying the effect the white muscat grapes have on this. It's really unique, and I find it interesting to speculate on the 'recipe' it follows of a primitive beer-wine found in Egypt in the time of the Pharoahs. As always, DFH is different.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy or cloying, though is is rich and the alcohol (9%) is apparent. Very wine like, while retaining the distinct identity of a beer.

Drinkability: It's interesting enough to keep taking sips of as one decides what it is exactly that is being tasted. I couldn't imagine drinking a six pack, or even a four pack as DFH packages them. It's an interesting beer, or something close to beer. I'd reccommend everyone try one, so they can reference other obscure styles by it (gruit seems rather similar).

99bottles, Dec 16, 2004
2.2/5  rDev -41%

I found this at One Stop Liquors in Johnson City, Tennessee, and had it shipped to Moscow via air freight. Arrived none the worse for wear, so I eagerly popped the cap on 11/29/04. The neck label features a thumb print, while the main label is quite plain, simply identifying this as an ancient ale made of barley, honey, muscat grapes and safron. Hmm...

Pours pale orange (shouldn't something named Midas be gold, at least?) under a very thin 1/3 finger off white head that fizzles as quickly as it forms. Purely from the appearance, it reminds me of some pretty bad Russian beers of the Zhigulovskoye line. The nose is, well, distinctive: grape and malt, with a touch of spice (I assume that's the safron) and slightly sour. These are not good images here. The mouth is very prickly and quite thick/heavy, presumably from the fruit juice. Taste? Oh my. Grapes and safron are definitely noticeable, sweet and sour, almost like grape juice on drugs. There's definitely malt here, and even a dash of coniferous hops that lends a dry bit element to the finish, but this tastes and feels much more like a mead than a beer. Not a very good mead either. Glad I got just one, as I couldn't bring myself to finish even that much.

Globetrotter, Nov 30, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +22.8%

I was very much looking forward to this Dogfish offering, many good things I have heard. It poured with a big inconsistent head that was quick to dissipate and a beautiful amber body. The honey malt aroma is enticing to say the least. The mouthfeel is wonderfully smooth and seductive, leaves you yearning. The honey and saffron walz together on the palate in perfect fashion. From the mouthfeel to the finish is magnificent. A grape wine-like flavor kicks in while the taste buds continue to be pulled in several different directions. Absolutely a winner, what a beer!

Hhawk06, Nov 20, 2004
3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

12 oz. bottle, packaged in month 6 according to the notch. Pours a slighlty hazy orange, with a white thick head. The head disappeared almost immediately. Some tiny bubbles still coming from the bottom of the glass. Not much lace. Smells like a white wine. Grapes, slight spicy and earthy smell. Very sweet up front from the honey. As it warms, a bit more of the spicy flavors come out. Very thick on the palate, but fairly low carbonation. Not much bitterness here, mostly honey sweetness. An interesting experiment. Not something to have all of the time. Suffers in drinkability. Still, worht a try.

Bierguy5, Nov 18, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

I picked up a single of the Midas Touch this evening. I had it out of a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a goblet. October was notched off on the label for a freshness date, but I couldn't find a year.

Unique aroma of grapes and sweet honey. I smelled some saffron and then smelled this beer. No question the saffron is a prominent feature in the scent of this brew.

Appearance is a cloudy orange color. Spotted sticky lacings on the sides of the glass.

Taste is nicely complex. Sparkling white grape juice with saffron and Sue-Bee honey flavors. Alcohol warmth is somewhere in between. Herbs and spices blend well in this creative beer.

Very drinkable at a respectable 9.0% ABV. Another winner from Dogfish Head.

Hibernator, Oct 30, 2004