Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,381 | Reviews: 1,590
3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours crystal clear into my Hennepin glass. Thin layer of head covers the light amber beer. The aroma is a little strange. It smells a bit like corn adjunct. Herbal/medicinal aromas come out with similarities to Magic Hat #9. The flavor is quite different than I had predicted. It is complex, rich, sweet, malty, tart, and spicy. There are flavors of raisins, caramel, oranges, figs, and maple. Ever so slightly the alcohol become apparent and starts to add more spice to the end of the sip. This beer is rather quenching for some reason, but the 9% alcohol by volume tends to really hit you. This has the same ABV that La Fin Du Monde has, but it is a quicker buzz IMO. interesting.

It is good, but there are much better beers that cost much less. This stuff is TOO expensive.

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: The bottle tells it all. This Golden Elixer pours a beautiful golden color. With a small bit of head to start with which eventually fades to just a slight ring around the glass.

Smell: Saffron and grapes at the forefront, along with a bit of maltiness. Not such a big smell, but nice.

Taste: Very nice taste. You get the saffron and the spicy flavors at the front, which gives way to a malty flavor, which again transitions into a sweet white grape flavor. Also present by the end of each sip is the sweet honey flavor as well.

Mouthfeel: Nice amount of carbonation present, which really adds to the flavor transitions throughout this beer. Very smooth drinking as well.

Drinkability: Although a slightly high ABV, this is a beer that I could drink all night. It is unique, complex, and delicious, and you could not ask for anything more than that. Highly, highly recommended beer.

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a Grimbergen goblet.

A: Pours a blazing, golden-orange color with sparse but lively pillars of billowy carbonation. The head builds in the pour and fades to nothing, like a soda. No real lacing to be seen.

S: Smells like saffron and wet, dirty pennies. Could have been the drinking vessel, which was freshly washed, but there was a sweet metallic smell to it.

T: Taste is very funky and unique. Some citrus, a bit of allspice through the hops, sweet biscuity malt flavors and a very distinct amount of white grapes. It's sweet and dry like a pinot grigio.

M: Mouthfeel is light, crisp, sweet, drying and astringent.

D: I wouldn't want to session this one, but it'd be great with a whitefish, garlic and oil or white wine pasta, or even a dish like chicken piccatta. The 9% ABV and funky sweet flavor would keep you from having more than two, most likely, but it is enjoyable.

Another great, weird brew from Dogfish Head. The whole ancient recipe thing seems to be an ongoing trend with these guys, and if they keep producing brews as tasty as this golden elixer, they'll be in the historic beverage market for some time to come.

3.82/5  rDev +2.4%

From a 12oz...I do miss the caged corked clear 750's
glass...modified Duvel style

Eyes: Bright, gold. white head forms swells leaves as fast as a wave onto shore (Delaware shore ;p)

Nose: Honey, ripe grapes (smashed, or some skin), a spice ?

Taste: Sweetish but not cloying (just barely), honey

Texture: Smooth...hides 9%

Overall Drinking Experience : I would invite those who enjoy sweeter German white wines to try this. I love it with pasta heavy on the garlic w/ a light coating of olive oil and romano cheese.

4.09/5  rDev +9.7%

Sampled bottle, RBNAG 2007 in Grimstad, haute cuisine beer lunch at Apotekergaarden. ABV was 9%. Accompanied the goose liver. (Also had a bottle on its own later on.) Deep golden colour, minimal head. Lovely complex aroma with vinous notes, oak, honey and hops. Spritzy mouthfeel. Sweet, fruity (Muscat grapes), oaky and well balanced flavour. The honey and saffron are fairly subdued elements.

3.82/5  rDev +2.4%

I'm always a bit skeptical concerning what I'm going to taste given beers that boast unusual ingredients in their recepies. This beer is no exception.

Pours a straw - amber color. Thin head with lacing.

Nose contains notes of the muscat grapes, but not much else.

Flavor has an interesting start-- the grapes come through on top, while underpinnings of honey along with a mild ale like character intertwined...

The finish is a light but smooth fanning of honey and perhaps malt-- maybe that's how this ancient revival might have tasted eons ago.

Overall mouthfeel is cordial as there isn't much of anything specific to make note of.

Drinkability-- like it's mouthfeel is such that perhaps the limiting factor is the 9% alcohol.

This beer is an interesting curio, but I think it's not one of DFH's noteable brews. Given a line-up of DFH's products, Midas Touch isn't one I'd reach for first. Nevertheless worth a try-- you might like it!

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

12-oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Golden clear, virtually no head, though nice bubbles formed and quickly dissipated when it was poured. Good steady carbonation.

S = Smells like honey with maybe some light cinnamon. Wouldn't describe it as remotely beerlike though.

T = This is beer? I guess I can taste some aspects of a malty brew (something like Coors in the background), but someone mixed it with mead. Mostly though this is like a carbonated weak, mead.

M = Medium body, low carbonation.

D = Alcohol is not too strong in the taste. As for whether it's good enough to return to? I'd say no. Glad I tried it, but it really is more like a funky mead than a spiced beer. I am not a huge mead fan, but I do have it on occasion. If I were going to do that, I would get a real mead. If I want a beer, I will choose a more normal beer.

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Well, the beer is gold. I can't really think of any other way to describe the color, so at least the name is accurate. There's barely any head, just a little ring of lace that ends up forming a cool little swirly pattern on the top of the beer.

S- Lots of honey in the nose. Also some spices, although it's kind of tough to pick out any individual aromas. A touch of alcohol rounds it out.

T- Quite sweet right off the bat with more honey and a pleasant grape juice flavor. More spices as well, although once again, I can't really pick out anything in particular. The sweetness lingers well into the finish, which is dominated by grape. There's virtually no bitterness, which isn't particularly surprising (I'm not sure this even has hops in it).

M- Active carbonation, but not overly fizzy. Kind of light in the mouthfeel.

D- No clue where the 9% ABV is. This doesn't taste anywhere near that strong. I could easily drink a couple of these only to have them catch up to me very quickly. Even so, it's obvious that this is no session beer.

Another nice offering from Dogfish. This is quite the interesting beer, and tasty too. Well worth trying at least once. This one might even inspire future purchases for me. Recommended.

3.39/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: Crystal clear and brassy gold. This is pretty looking! There isn't much of a head, but I suppose it might still be more carbonated than the ancient recipe this is a copy of.

Smell: At first, it smells a bit like white wine to me, but I can't pick that back up. It smells sugary. I can smell honey in there, and that smell becomes more distinct as the glass progresses. I wonder what saffron smells like... For some reason, I smell the bottle, and find it smells like gummy bears.

Taste: Honey plus sugar. It seems mildly bitter in the middle - does this have hops, or is it caused by alcohol? Basically this is just super sweet. Did I accidentally open a juice box? It tastes good, but not too beery. But at least the alcohol is pretty well hidden, at no point did alcohol overwhelm me.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly moderate. The sweetness is watery enough to not be sticky. The subtle bubbles and booze are enough to dry out the finish.

Drinkability: This is a bit too reminiscent of a wine cooler for me. It isn't hard to drink, bit it gets to be a bit much, and doesn't really leave you wishing for a second one. This is interesting but probably not a regular visitor for me.

3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

A- Thin white head on a crystal clear golden body.
S- Strong honey, and saffron in the nose. Really sweet aroma. Very different aroma with grapes, fruits, and just one main thing I can't figure out what it is. Toasted barley comes through also along with alcohol.
T- Very different flavor as well. Honey comes through nicley leaving a light dry finish with the grapes helping it out in the flavor as well. The saffron comes in a bit with the toasted malt and leaves pretty fast. When you drink it the taste comes in and then leaves a very dry aftertaste right away.
M-Medium body with medium/low carbonation.
D- It is a very interesting beer. Doubt I will try it again but am glad I tried it.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Bright golden yellow. Totally transparent. Head is white-1 finger and fades quickly. Lacing is minimal

S- White grapes and sweet apples.

T- Honey, white grapes again, ginger, very sugary and syrupy. Alcohol hits you in the aftertaste. I am from Tennessee, so this reminds me alot of sweet muscadine wine.

M- Very mild carbonation. Very syrupy. "Elixir" perfectly nails it.

D- No way I can drink a lot of this one. Too sweet and syrupy for my taste. This one will do it for me. Maybe another day though...

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

i find it hard to be objective with this one. i love this beer! Very difficult to compare in terms of style.

No matter how i pour this one i can't produce a head of any kind that lasts for more than a few seconds. Little to no lacing as well. The color is a great; a very clear gold. Having said all that, this is not a beauty contest winner for me.

The aroma on this one is a huge part of it for me. Very rich and varied, and only gets more interesting as it warms. The grapes really do come through in hints of wine-like aromas.

The mouthfeel on this one is great if you love them a little syrupy, and i don't mean this in a bad way. It's just very smooth, silky and even a little thick on the palate.

Perhaps my palate is underdeveloped, but i don't really get saffron out of this one, but i get heaps of honey and grape. This can be a bit sweet for many, but for me this is THE dessert beer! The alcohol is high and does figure into the flavor pretty heavily, but for comparison's sake, i have tried tons of high quality trippels, with less ABV, that tasted more alcoholic than this one. If that helps.

i like this a lot and the only real reasons i don't rate it higher are:
1) Too high in alcohol content for it to be other than a once in a while treat for me, and;

B) This one is quite expensive when i can find it in my area. But i consider it worth the wait and the price on certain occasions.

3.99/5  rDev +7%

Light gold color, head thins to nothing with no lacing. Looks like a quality lager. I thought this beer would be cloudy and mysterious, but it was crystal clear and there was no yeast on the bottom of the bottle.

Honey dominates, the grapes come in a close second. I can't detect any malt or saffron. Not to say it's not a great aroma, just looking for ingredients the labels tells you about.

Tastes like honey and grape juice, there's a touch of beer taste at the end, but I'd like less sweet.

Coating and warming like a Belgian trippel or such, very good indeed.

It's hard to rate this beer because of its special nature. I rated it on what it's supposed to be and my personal perception entirely. I was not raised in King Midas' day, but I'm sure Sam did him proud.

3.47/5  rDev -7%

Typed from notes on 7 April 2007:

Slightly amberish, golden-colored ale with a half inch head that had no retention. This is a very clear beer for the complexity of ingredients. It smells a bit like a pilsner or helles lager base. The bottle boasts of barley, honey, grapes, and saffron but all I can smell is barley. A bit of an acidic taste as if mixed with muscadine wine (from the muscat grapes I assume). Very carbonated with a slightly metallic taste. The 9% ABV is very noticeable in the aftertaste. The honey goes some distance to mellow the alcohol esters but overall I find it a bit boozy. I imagine this being exacerbated as it warms. The mouthfeel is very watery and carbonated and does not contain much body. The alcohol is still the most prevalent to me. Considering this is the third I've had (not in one day), I guess it isn't too bad. I wouldn't plan to order it at any bar or buy another 4-pack though.

Serving type: 12z bottle in St. Bernardus goblet.

3.44/5  rDev -7.8%

Notes from tasting 10/25/07.

Appearance: Deep dark gold colour, clear, small white head with little retention. Small amount of lace.

Aroma: Very sweet honey, fruit syrup and various herbs.

Taste: Very sweet and fruity, similar to a mead.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, soft and thin mouthfeel.

Final Statement: A beer to be paired with the right dish, not to be enjoyed on it's own.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottled on 03/15/07

Pours an effervescent bronze/honey with 1/2" of pearl colored head. near-zero retention & lacing

S: Apricot, honey & pineapples

T: Sweet honey, dates, pineapples, & some dryness up front. Slight smokeyness & caramel, appleskins as this warms. I start getting grapes/muscadines in the finish, along with warming booze & dryness. Reminds me of a low abv mead in many respects.

MF: Medium-bodied with minimal carbonation & lot of slickness

This would work well as in a dessert course, drinks good, but too far away from my likes to drink more than 2. Does hide the ABV well though

3.41/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very little head and lacing. Amber/orange color that is very clear.

Smell is of caramel malts, honey and grapes. I don't know what saffron smells like, but I believe the other smell i am picking up is that.

Taste is dry, comes out with caramel malts and honey. This is followed by white grapes that are slightly Finishes with a decent hop bitterness. Honey is predominant.

Mouthfeel is made somewhat thick with the honey. Carbonation is decent with a cloying sweetness.

Drinkability: ther eis a good amount of stuff going on with this beer, but it's a little overly sweet to make a great session out of.

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that goes down rather fast

S - lots of things going on here grapes and honey and some alcohol is present

T - Sweet grapes at first and some honey stand out finishes a little bitter

M- light carbonation smooth going down

D - This a good beer that you have to try at least once. Good taste and pretty smooth its worth a try.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Surprised I never reviewed this before.

A-pours a slightly dark clear golden. Head is minimal and short.

S-sweet honey, hints of liquor and a vague bitterness

T-A good body of honey at first. Waves of floral honey then a hit of bitterness. This is almost a mead. A good mead at that. very smooth. This is no one trick pony, as it warms liquorice, cloves and heather come through.

D-slightly syrupy, high carbonation

D-I enjoy this but can only have one at a time due to the sweetness. I would say this a good mead.

3.02/5  rDev -19%

A - The orange hue was appealing, intrigued me, invited me in.

S - Grapes and Spice, could smell it, reminded me of Allagash Musette. Almost like a once used wine barrel but more musty. The spice was evident.

T - Initially I was hit with the grape, then the spices. Then a wallop of honey. The honey sweetness was reminscent of JW Dundee's honey Brown lager, way too sweet for my taste.

M - Lightly carbonated, not overwhelming. Perhaps the best feature of this beer.

D - Although not quite my cup of tea, I could understand peoplet aht would like to sit and drink it over and over. I presonally don't like overly sweet beers, but there is a market for it.

Overall, I would recommend this to a person that likes malty, sweet beers. I was curious to try it after reading the history and lore of it, but not all beers are suited for every person. I bought it as a 4-pack and know 2 people that will appreciate it much more than I do. It won't go to waste.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Copper in color. The one inch of head goes away pretty quick.

S - The grape comes through first followed by alcohol. Seems like another faint smell in the distant background of honey or malt.

T - Complex. This one is interesting. Malt comes through a little more in the taste with pretty strong grape and alcohol flavors taking the forefront. Finishing the flavor profile is a little honey.

M - Really light considering the strength of the beer. Impressive.

D - The complex flavors and light mouthfeel really worked for me. Goes down pretty easy.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours with a medium sized head that comes to rest above the clear light orange colored brew. Not to much lacing is left behind after sipping.

Smells of sweet fruits ( the white grapes are a welcomed touch), some spices and honey. My nose is happy but not to the point of dancing with joy.

The taste is definitely unique and different. Notes of honey, sweet pale malt, fruits ( the white grapes come through nicely again) and alcohol. Glade to have tried this beer and the other three will not go to waste.

3.81/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured out an excellent copper-golden color, very thick, almost like a shot of honey had just been mixed in. Has a nice scent, crisp and refreshing with great hints of honey. It tasted more like a mead to me than anything else, with wonderful spices and a great honey taste and fruit hints. It has quite a powerful aftertaste, so if you don't like a spicy taste lingering for awhile, this is not for you. Goes down fairly smooth, and is a nice, different beer.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

This is an interesting beer. It was made from the remains found in urns in King Midas' tomb. It has a very nice dark color to it (I drank it out of the bottle so I didn't actually pour it to see what it exactly looked like and what the head looked like) and had a very strong alcohol and fruity aroma. The taste had almost a wine flavor strong with sweet berries, which would makes sense that this is what King Midas would have drank. A really interesting aftertaste similar to the aftertaste of a sweet wine. This is not a very drinkable beer, but that would explain why it comes in a 4 pack. It is well worth the try because it may be the oldest known recipe which is definately worth looking into.

3.17/5  rDev -15%

The Midas Touch pours with no foam head at all. It had no freshness date so hopefully it wasn't flat. The color of the beer is a light orange. With the smell there wasn't much there but the faint tinge of the muscat grapes. The taste was malty with the grapes stealing the show from the other flavors. There was a soft honey taste on the tip of the tongue. I will have to try this one again to make sure it wasn't sitting on the shelf too long.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery