Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a 24 karat gold color, that is brilliantly clear. Two finger head has little retention, and leaves nothing behind.

Aroma is mild, yet interesting. A bit of yeast and fresh bread are in there, but are overpowered by honey, and solvent like alcohol. Slight chemical like aroma is hard to shake.

Flavor is smooth and delicious. the honey really comes through, and not in a sweet way at all. Taste like orange blossom honey, as there is a distinct citrus aspect to the sweetness. Also has a the distinct flavor of welch's white grape juice. Hardly any malt flavor and devoid of hops. Finish is dry and tingly, aided by agressive carbonation. Mouthfeel is smooth and moderately heavy. Drinkability is good considering the ABV.

I like this beer, but I just don't know what to think of it. This is so far out there from any other beer I've ever had, that I don't know how to think of it, or compare it to others. This is almost more of a mead than a beer. But any way you look at it, it's delicious, well made, and a cool project. Another winner from DFH I say, and worth trying. At the very least, it's something completely different from anything else you've ever had (unless you've recently had Chataeu Jiahu....)

3.43/5  rDev -8%

Bottled on 01/04/06

Pours deep golden yellow with a thin head that soon becomes a thin, floating patch (nice color - not that great of head retention, but somewhat expected for abv).

The smell is of honey with an herbal background.

The taste is of sweet honey and barley malt. Do I detect the grapes and saffron? Not quite sure. Maybe the grapes, that gives it an almost winey character and some balance, the saffron? Well, it's an unusual additive to beer. Maybe. There is something keeping the sweetness from becoming overwhelming - not hop bitterness though. This has an unusual taste (as expected)... not bad...can't say I really love it though. A restrained peppery alcohol is in the mix. I had this last year when it was fresher, and I do think the alcohol mellowed nicely. Worth cellaring for awhile.

The feel is medium, with lingering sweetness and an alcohol sharpness.

Not so easy to drink - It's certainly a slow sipper. An interesting brew, but I can't say I particularly enjoyed it too much- not really my thing - but worth having as a conversational piece and good enough try. This is my second or third one in the last one, and I doubt I would get again, esp. considering the hefty price.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another interesting beer from these guys.

The first thing I noticed was the grapes. Not too up front, but probably the most notable characteristic of the beer- smell and taste. Doesn't feel like 9% ABV. I thought it seemed like it had a bit of a sour taste to it as well, though I'd like to have another to be sure.

I enjoyed this beer, but considering the pricetag, I won't frequent it. Worth a try, of course.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Pale copper in color and very clear. There are a ton of bubbles flowing up through this brew. Not too much of a head and not too much retention.

S: Grapes are the primary scent. Not too much aroma. You really have to look for the aromas with this one because of the weakness of the scent.

T: Very different. Taste like a mix of wine and beer. delicate flavor, but mostly taste like white wine. I can't really tell what kind of malt is being used but there is a general malt presence. I can't taste any of the honey mentioned on the label.

M: light and crisp. Very nice tingling on the tongue from the carbonation.

D: I have to give it to DFH, I think this is one of the coolest things ever done in brewing. I'm not too much of a wine drinker so this isn't my favorite, but it is full of flavor and well balanced. This is a great brew to try atleast once.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Brilliant golden yellow color, very crisp and clear. Almost no head, at least no retention. No carbonation.

Very sweet - honey sweet. Rich and sticky thick.

Very sweet - honey sweet, strangely enough. It is rich and sticky sweet.

Somewhat smooth, yet sticky sweet. Moderate oral foamation, almost no carbonation.

Midas Touch is a very sweet sticky honey brew – a nice mead. The price automatically pushes it into the “special occasion” category. It is nice and fun to try, but I think once is enough.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

Bottle courtesy of Beerandblues2: Poured a golden bright yellow color ale with a big thick foamy head with great retention and lacing. Aroma of sweet malt (probably due to the honey) is interesting and quite intriguing. Taste is very sweet with a champagne like feel with lots of fine bubbles. While this beer was quite sweet I never thought it was exceedingly so. The presence of Muscat grapes were well balance with the malt and the honey. I’m not sure I really pick-up any saffron but this beer was very good nonetheless.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cellar aged for about 6 months, presentation of a large snifter to ancentuate the anticipated nose.

Poured a bright, slighty hazy orangish-brassy sunset, a crisp color with a faint trail of bubbles rising from the center. Head was a loose pencil's worth of a dull yellow-almond foam that agitated nicely and faded rather quickly with each effort and laced sporadically.

The nose, as I hoped, is awesome. Like walking in a candy store and sticking your face in the orange chewies. A devine citrus (orange) aroma, fresh cut apple, with multiple spice accents offset by a sugary zing, perhaps some dried pit fruits like cherry. Traces of anise (licorice?) I can't put my finger on the spices, but its just one of the best noses on a beer in recent memory.

Thats It! Scotch!! This has a lot of aromatic qualities of some single malts I've had...must be the alcohol as well.

For all the hoopla on the nose, its actually quite timid on the initial tongue. Some soft malts, caramel, a little creamy. The oddest sensation happens - the taste literally runs to my throat. I can taste it on my throat while I'm still enjoying it ...strange. Some hop bitterness back there, subtle spices, maybe a pich of pepper, then a definite warming on the swallow (actually a nice POW of alcohol), then a lovely, chewy, warm citrus aftertaste that, again, reminds me of some single malts I've enjoyed.

This is one of the most unusual beers I've tried. I'm not really sure what to think of it. The nose is wonderful, but the mouthfeel is really subdued, but yet has a pronounced & lovely swallow & aftertaste.

I often compare beers to riding a roller coaster, with all the peaks, valleys, hills, dips, turns, etc. This one has 2 huge hills at the start and the end, but yet very little in between. I admit I wasn't expecting it to be so scotch like in some regards, but I'm not complaining. That said, I really think this could benefit from something between that big nose & big swallow. If you are looking for something different, this is it. I'd drink it again, and recommend it as an unusual experience that, like vacation amusement park roller coasters, are nice places to visit but I definitely wouldn't want to live there.

3.2/5  rDev -14.2%

After watching History Channel’s Modern Marvels on Brewing, I've been anticipating to get my hands on this. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. The body of this brew was too clear and had no head retention. The brew did smell of honey and saffron, but seemed to maybe victimize of oxidation. Honey is the dominant flavor here, but there is a hint of the grape juice here. I can't really say the malt and the hops are vivid here, but they are detectable. Overall this is unique and palatable. Dogfish Head is very innovative at trying to recreate this ancient recipe, so kudos to y’all.

3.28/5  rDev -12.1%

*Served at cellar temperature from a 12 oz bottle and poured into a pint glass

Pours an clear amber color with fizzy (ginger ale)-type head that quickly fizzles out to absolutely nothing on the surface but oxygen rising from the bottom.

At first the aroma reminds me much of a Chardonnay wine; white grapes on the nose along with some sweet sugary honey. Lots of alcohol hits my sinuses on this one which probably kills much of that aroma; maybe the word "tart" comes to mind. Not looking full-bodied, this tastes much like an old ale with lots of sugar up front (probably ages well); A slight bitterness comes through with a sucralose flavor which doesn't do it any justice, but grapes definitely jump out at me throughout, and the alcohol really hits me throughout the entire experience; wow! A bit tingly up front on the sides of my tongue, but a medium-to-full body which drys out a lot at the finish due to the alcohol burn. I actually like it but it is a "wee bit" HOT! wow! Due to abv. this one is a sipper. Probably too sweet to drink much of. I'd like to age one, but I'd probably not recommend unless you like the old ale/belgian type. This is probably my lowest rated brew from Dogfish Head, whom I love greatly.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Very small head that disappears rather quickly. The color is pretty much exactly like it says, golden. Overall appearance is rather good, although I would appreciate more retention on the head. Lacing on the glass was not very apparent.

The aroma is extremely sweet. The saffron smell is distinct, and the smell of honey is quite strong. The slightest bit of hops is discernable.

The main taste that I had was of honey, along with grape and saffron. Very little bitterness, some from the saffron and some from a tiny amount of hops. Very warming finish. Just OK, its nothing that I would write home about.

The mouthfeel left something to be desired for me. It is thick, syrupy, and seemed to have a low amount of carbonation. However, it was very smooth.

Drinkability was alright. The syrupy feel to the beer made me less likely to drink another beer. However, the amount of alcohol in the beer is masked well. I might be able to drink another, but the sweetness isn't settling in my stomach too well.

Overall, this isn't my style beer. I bought it for the history behind it, and mostly out of curiosity. I doubt I will try this beer again, as the cost is rather high, and the taste is only so-so. It gives you something fun to talk about though.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a beautiful reddish gold with little head that dissipates quickly.

It's hard to pick up aroma. What I can pick up smells sweet and fruity.

There is a lot of unfermented sweetness in the taste. It has a very floral character with a noticeable honey taste. I also get the impression of raisins and the character of sweet tea.

Elixir seems like an appropriate description as this stuff is closer to the consistency of syrup than beer. It is very un-beery in my opinion but I can't quite categorize it.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Well, the concept pretty much sells itself, doesn't it? Ancient-inspired beer with barley, grapes, honey and saffron. Wow. It sounds mouth-watering, without even popping one open.

Looks interesting...colored almost like the honey it's made with. Head bubbled up quickly and settled down quickly.

Smell - are you kidding me? This smells like a candy store. Grapes, honey and more honey. Like others, I am not entirely sure what saffron smells like, so I had a hard time picking that up.

Taste - wow, is that ever sweet. I don't think I've had a beer anywhere near this sweet. I like it - but I wish it had more of a backbone. I wonder what this would taste like with just the right addition of bitter hops jousting with the sweetness a bit. That would not be true to the reconstructed recipe, however, so oh well.

Mouthfeel - Sticky.

Drinkability - again, are you kidding me? 9%? This is going down way too easily for 9%, though I am noticing a little warming in the finish. Still, all too easy to drink quickly, especially if you have a weakness for sweets. If I didn't know this was 9%, I could see myself tossing back at least 3 of these in short order without realizing the extent of the problem I'd soon have.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

I was excited to try this beer. I have been a huge fan of anything safron for my entire life thanks to my grandmother. She had me hooked from a young age.

This beer looked like a carbonated mead. Golden in color with a white head that capped it modestly.

I could pick up on the safron immediately. I think because I am so tuned in on that from the beginning it really jumped out at me. There was a honey sweetness blended with white grapes in the nose.

I could taste a blend of pilsner malt, honey, safron, and a spiceyness that I could not put my finger on.

The mouthfeel is medium/full bodied with a smooth carbonation to it.

The drinkability could be better. I thought this was good beer but honestly, I split a 12 oz bottle of this with 2 other people and that was enough for me.

Worth trying.

3.4/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I havnt had this beer since it was first released in clear colored 750 magnums. Told them that at the brewery and was given a bottle to take home and try. That being said-it is a deep golden color, fair amount of carbonation in the pour though it leaves no head to speak of. Aroma has a lot of honey and grape smells to it. Quite bready. Taste is very mead like to me-has a mellow spiciness to it overall. again quite bready in the flavor-slight alcohol note in the finish. Above average body-suprisingly thin. An ok beer overall. The smell and flavor characteristics really stand out though all a bit too much for me. Interesting to try but not my thing. I certainly wont tear it apart. Seems more developed and balanced then what I remember though.

4.26/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a cloudy golden honey color with a white head about a finger thick when first poured. Decent lacing was left behind after the head settled to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass with a thin cluster of foam on the surface of the beer. Aromas of grape, honey, malt,some spice, and something else which I believe is probably the saffron (its not like I smell saffron very often). Flavors of grape and sweet honey are present along with some spice notes and something else I can't quite put my finger on (probabley the saffron). No trace of hops at all. Overall a mainly sweet taste. Also unique and unlike anything I have ever had in a beer before. Has a bit of a slight tart bitterness in the aftertaste. The way the grapes are incorporated into the taste and even the mouthfeel certainly are somewhat reminiscent of wine. The medium to full bodied mouthfeel is crisp and smooth with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in the way good craft beer was meant to be. An excellent and pretty unique beer!

Eric

2.93/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: A brilliant honey color with small fine elements floating around. The head was about a finger high and the foam that lingered was white and foamy.

Smell: Grapes are dominant and overall a very sweet aroma blended with spices. Honey, barley malts and saffron just like the bottle says.

Taste: Very sweet with grape and a slight alcohol warming. The honey brings out the sweets and intensifies the spices. A little over the top for me, but my taste buds started warming up to it towards the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel and very smooth.

Drinkability: I couldn't do more than one of these.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

Hard to rate appearance, as the closest comparison to this I have had is mead. Has a nice rose-tinged pilsner color. Not much carbonation and nil head.

Smell is grape-y bubblegum light pilsner.

Tastes like it smells. Has some sweetness to it, and slight bitterness can be felt on the aftertaste. Saffron might affect color but I cannot detect it in the taste.

Mouthfeel is nice and light, champagne-type carbonation might be good for this elixir as it would match color and taste.

I am surprised how easy this beer is to drink. Heavier beers are my mainstay but I could drink this in the dead of winter.

Recommended.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

this beer tried to erupt when i opened the bottle, but there's no head in my glass. highly carbonated, though

the color is a deep gold with a hint of something amber

i smell pils malts, whether or not they're in there. the grapes as well, but not to any great extent. the story of the flavor is similar, but with a much greater sweetness and grape profile. i'm not sure i can detect the saffron...my experience with it is minimal. what gives it bitterness?

tropical fruits abound in the flavor along with the sweet grapiness. i can cull some spice from it all, but it's fleeting. the finish is winey. the more i drink the more i like. it's sweet and heavy, so the active carbonation is really necessary to prevent it from seeming cloying

this is cool. DFH deserves credit for blazing this trail of beverage history (more like retracing steps, i suppose), and this product is yummy—and not just in a relative way

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of grapes, spice, lemon, honey & barley. The malt character is faint and there’s not trace of hops.

T: The taste is a combination of fruit, spice and alcohol. I’ve seen the comparison made between this beer and champagne and I’d have to agree. There’s some faint caramelized malt in the background and very little hops, if any. I sampled this beer on-tap at Pitcher’s Pub in Cumberland a few weeks ago and remember it being a bit sweeter with a little more malt backbone.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and a little sticky.

D: Flavorful, but not my type of flavor, not filling, doesn’t go down as easy as most beers, I suppose this would be a good transitional beer for a wine-drinker, but to this beer-lover it seems a bit off. The one good thing I can say about it is that it’s certainly unique, such is DFH’s MO.

3.73/5  rDev 0%

Interesting offering from Dogfish Head. "Ancient Ale" -I would have liked to have known a little more of the story behind it.

Interesting pinkish-amber colour, almost like a cranberry colour. Looks more like a wine than a bear. Head is unremarkable.

Smell is probably the least impressive aspect. Honey, sweet malts and a strong alcohol character. Grapes are detectable, but not so much for the saffron.

Smooth, honey taste. Noticeable, distinct grape background. Certain savoury flavour -maybe this is from the saffron. Definitely a unique taste, not beer like at all. More like a mead or a liqueur.

Odd mouthfeel, but very enjoyable.

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured a deep amber/gold into goblet with minimal head.

Smells of faint grape and a little spice, not the strongest scented beer to me but pleasant enough also maybe a bit of macro lager in smell.

Mouthfeel much like champagne, slight slick feeling very nice

Tastes of grape which is unusual as raisin taste comes up more in beers. very unusuall beer at the point of swallowing it, lots of grape there like champagne followed by saffron reminding me of saffron rice, I would never have caught this if I didn't eat that. I do not taste honey until the beer warms. edit: this isn't fair but I looked back and agree with the previous references to mead.

This is wonderful, I gave it a drinkability of 5 as I really wanted a second one, but at this level of sweetness and ABV two is plenty.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours light straw with hints of purple or blue (I hope I'm not letting the label influence me there), light on the head too. Smells strong of spiceness with which I'm not too familiar. Tastes of malt and honey, I don't get much of the grapes in it. A more knowledgable guy at the local spec's said that his had some kind of funky taste, and reviews here differ too. I'd venture to guess that the batches differ a good bit. Feels big and broad on the tongue, sharp enough to bring the flavors out, but smooth enough to go down well. I get more honey and alcohol at the end. A unique taste and I'm glad to have had it, but I don't think I'll crave it like my favorite stouts or warmers.

3.45/5  rDev -7.5%

This is an odd beer...

Appearance: Described as "Ayers rock"-colored, slightly hazy. Nice head and some lacing. This is the most normal part of this beer...

Smell: Has a very different aroma. There's a character there that's very tough to describe. Honey and vinuous grapes are present in the nose, but there's something else in the background - maybe that's the saffron?

Taste: Again, very different. Almost savory on some level - again, perhaps the saffron? Honey and fruity grapes again... Not much in the way of hops, which I guess is no surprise.

Mouthfeel: Good, no complaints at all.

Drinkability: Maybe I'd grow used to it after a couple more bottles, but too different to want to buy again. Glad I've tried it, though!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Crystal clear body was a medium golden color. A quater inch white head dissipated almost instantly. Carbonation is medium in size, average in amount, and rises slowly. Lacing in ribbons.

Interesting aromas in the first whiff. A light grape scent blends with a weak honey scent. A saffron note fades in and out, without leaving any impression when it's gone.

Very nice taste of grapes. A spiced finish has hints of pepper and clove. A second sip provides an additional taste of weak honey on the edges of the tongue. Light taste of hops acid.

A lightly tingling carbonation effect. Average viscosity stalls a bit on back of tongue.

A interesting offering in a broad style. Gret beer for cocktail hour before a party. Not an everyday beer, but if I am looking for something in this style, I can see this one as a session beer.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

served into a tulip glass from a 12oz.brown bottle dated 7/27/06.

Golden color,white head loudly fizzing down to nothing,like soda.Lots of tiny particles,very lively,many tiny string of bubbles rising from the middle bottom of the glass.

Smells sweet,fruity,reminicent of white wine.A clean,fresh,pleasing aroma.

A sweet taste,white wine grapes,very fruity,a sour/sweet mid taste,notes of honey throughout. An interesting tasting brew,tastes more like mead than beer.

A light mouthfeel,yet cloying and sticky,makes the tongue swell at the finish. 9.0 alcohol,no taste of alcohol to me. Hard to really score this beer,have nothing to compair it to. Overall,kind of enjoyed this interesting beverage,worth a try if you like different and interesting.
I would say that a wine drinker would enjoy this beverage.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery