Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this one up at Blanchard's Liquors in Brockton.

The colour was golden but very mirky, which suggests this is unfiltered. It poured a very small head that disappeared soon thereafter.

The aroma was really surprising for me. It was very sweet and welcoming. The description on the bottle suggests it but still it threw me.

The taste is very smooth and sweet, with a definite barley honey influence. After that I could clearly taste fruit and the saffron, again, suggested on the bottle.

This is an interesting beer, and I believe because of the very sweet fruity taste, that this is a very appealing beer for the experimental wine-drinker. For instance, my mother (yes I live with my mother, and she is a very avid wine-drinker) likes to try my beers and she usually never likes any of them alot, but once she tasted this she really enjoyed it.

Cheers!

Freshie, Feb 17, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

I have to admit that when I saw a 3.76 overall score for this beer, I thought it was low. But then, when I rate it myself, and faced with all the categories in the rating system, I give them all either 3.5 or 4.0. I guess my overall score will end up being 3.8, almost exactly in-line with the 3.76 overall. I imagine there are a lot of people who give this beer the same range of scores. Ok, enough with the math.

Don't get me wrong, I like this beer. When you're in the mood for it, it rates much higher than a 3.75. But you're not always in the mood. Well I'm not. It does pack a punch, so you're not going to pick this up as a session beer. And it's pretty sweet - as you might expect given an amber beer @ 9 ABV, so more than 2 is going to be a stretch. But sometimes, just that once in a while, it really hits the spot. What's more, I almost always have this on hand these days. Then again, the same can be said for several Dogfish Head beers. They're good to keep in stock.

In all, this is certainly worth a try. It's a pretty good beer that will wear out its welcome by #2, so stop there. But in that, you can really get some enjoyment with a few to relax with.

normZurawski, Feb 16, 2006

Pours a transparent golden amber, I got virtually no head at all and very little active carbonation...appearance of a hard alcohol such as whiskey.. Nose was very fascinating as it excites the palate with unusual aromas of figs, raisins, white wine, as well as some heavy musk laying in the background. Taste is completely original and very strong, sweetness of honey with tart apple and grape followed with a dry finish which includes plenty of alcohol. The mouthfeel is a bit flat with very little carbonation which is a shame but this is certainly worth a try just for the experience.

masikon, Feb 12, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

I am drinking a room temperature 12 oz bottle poured into a Three Philosophers goblet,

Appearance: The ale pours a nice clean goldenrod color. It almost reminds me of a mead (which I guess it is a close cousin to). There are no particles, but nor is there a head or any remnant of one.

Smell: The aroma is unique. I smell honey and raisins primarily, even some green grapes. This smell is not one that you'll find in any other beer.

Taste: The ale is lightly carbonated, giving it a soft taste. Within the taste itself, the crispness of green grapes are apparent, along with the slightly sweet hint of honey.

Mouthfeel: The complex flavors in the ale give it a pleasant mouthfeel. It could use a bit more carbonation though.

Drinkability: The drinkability is limited by a 9% abv price tag. But the backstory on this ale (check out dogfish.com) makes it worth a try.

akorsak, Feb 10, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a limited availability beer and is definitely worth a try!

The color is a clear burnt amber. It was served in a bell-shaped glass. (Think Belgian style)

The scent is unusual for a beer, almost like a wine. The taste is very rich with a warm aftertaste. It reminds me of a cross between a wine/cider more than just a beer. The tast is very complex: according to the label, this "handcrafted ancient ale" has "barley, honey, white muscat grapes, and saffron." The honey, grapes, and saffron are all very distinguishable. If you roll the beer gently around your tongue, you will experience a beer unlike any other in complexity and originality.

An excellent quality beer!

jda007, Feb 08, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -21.4%

Wanted to try this ever since seeing it on the history channel special about brewing. Finally found it at Half Time in Poughkeepsie.

Pours a very golden color with almost no head. Very appropriate color for the name. I like that.

Smells of alcohol and honey.

Tastes are quite interesting. They seem to vary from sip to sip. Honey, grapes, alc. saffron? Definitely an interesting beer, and the concept is a good one. However- that being said this is beer made me appreciate all the progress brewers have made since the days of King Midas. Not something I'd seek out again but it's something completely different from anything else I've ever had and for that reason alone I believe it to be worth trying.

lpayette, Feb 07, 2006
2.15/5  rDev -42.4%

Poured into pint glass.
This is a unique beer which saves it from getting bellow the 2's. A nice deep gold color, but absolutely no head.
Taste was stale honey, some malt, no hops and a hint of caramel.
It was a thicker feel to it than it looked. Coating and an aftertaste of metal and honey.
Disappointed.

Mebuzzard, Feb 03, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

I picked this up at Downtown Wine & Spirits because my dad had heard about it somewhere. The beer came in a standard 12 oz. brown bottle. The purple label has a fingerprint on the logo, and says "Handcrafted Ancient Ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes & saffron". I let the beer warm to approximately 50°F, and served it in one of my New Belgium snifters.

Appearance: Midas Touch pours a crystal clear, deep golden-orange. It's fizzy, with large soda like bubbles. Topped by a white half-inch head, that quickly diminishes to a ring.

Smell: The beer smells earthy, malty and a little buttery. Upon swirling I get wine-like grape aromas.

Taste: The taste is complex. Grainy flavors and honey sweetness are evident immediately. Malts take over in the center and are overtaken by tartness and spicyness in the finish. The aftertaste is spicy with alcoholic warmth. A modest bitterness appears mostly in the finish. It's almost like there's a mead to beer to wine transition.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and medium bodied with light carbonation. Leaves a buttery feel in the mouth.

Drinkability: This beer is 9.0% abv, which is evident in the taste. The flavors are also very strong, making this a bad session brew.

Overall: This is an interesting beer, definitely very wine like. It's a neat idea for a beer, and the execution isn't bad. It's almost a little too strong.

EPICAC, Feb 02, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

I must admit before you read my review, that to my knowledge, I have never tasted saffron in any way shape or form. So there are scents and flavors that Don't register with me in thgis particular brew. Making it that more mysterious and interesting.

Appearance- Poured a honey yet slightly amber hue with a spritzy two-finger head. The head has very little retention but leaves a minor foam with a dash of lacing.

Smell- The first wiff that enters my noise is a vinous blend of grapes and honey. The other smells that I detected are of a general malty nature, nothing I can put my finger on. No hops present in the aroma.

Taste- he start is a gneral sour that turns into some vary viney malts easily defined as grapes. The sugary flavor seems to be honey based and helps take awy from the sour grape flavor. This all combines to end wityh a combo of sweet and sour, but more sour than sweet.

Mouthfeel- An acidic palate really cuts through whatever residual flavors left on my tongue left by previous food or drinks. Overall its about a 70% sour and 30% sweet.

Overall a very diffeent beer. What I had seen on the History channel was that this recipe was taken from scriptures unearthed from a tomb believed to be King Midas's. So no hops. But something to seek out for the adventurous beer afiucionado.

scruffwhor, Jan 30, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

Beer pours a nice amber golden color. Has a quarter inch head that goes to a film after a while. Smells unlike any other beer I have ever tried with the grapes and saffron noticeable. Taste is also very unique. Has some characteristics of wine, taste of saffron and honey. Very different from other beers I have tired. Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I expected but not that bad. This beer is drinkable but not my favorite.

gosurfobx, Jan 28, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

(Served in a chalice)

A- This beer has a thin wisp of head that is gone before the finish of the pour. The body is a hazy deep orange and a hint of red with a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles. It sounds like soda pop when it is poured.

S- The smell is a slightly earthy mead note with a fragrant alcohol finish. As it warms there is soft notes of pear and white grapes with a sweet cherry note after that aswell.

T- The taste has notes of grapes and a sharp note of alcohol with some carbonic bite in the finish. There is a white fresh grape taste at the finish aswell. The malt note is very soft and slightly sweet following the taste of grapes.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a watery texture. There are some notes of fizz and alcohol warmth in the finish.

D- This beer is very soft and the flavors are very foreign. The notes of grapes are distinct but faint and the malt is very soft aswell. I don't taste a lot of depth but it is and interesting beer and it starts to grow on me after awhile.

rhoadsrage, Jan 26, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -39.7%

This "handcrafted ancient ale" (nice ring to it) came out of a 12 oz. bottle. It's hazy amber in color. Head? What head? After about a minute there is barely a tiny bubble in the glass. Nice initial sweet aroma, but with more investigation it readily shifts into weird funky notes. Lots of honey in the taste. Sweetness on your lips, strength in your throat. Practically no carbonation. The taste is all wrong for me. Gold it ain't! This is the second time I am touched by Midas, and I feel just as abused as I did the first time.

One important note: Even though I find this brew undrinkable, I do appreciate DFH's experimentation. And imagining beer-loving Indiana Jones in search of King Midas' tomb to discover the secret of the "ancient ale" is just plain cool! I'll add some extra points to mouthfeel as my way of encouraging DFH's contant search for new and cool ideas in brewing.

ikats, Jan 20, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a very clear, somewhat pale copper color with very little head that quickly recedes, and leaves only fine traces of lace.

Smell; this has a very vinous smell, that I'm sure is from the grapes that this was brewed with. There's also some some sweet malts and honey.

Taste; the honey and the grapes really stand out, and makes for a very sweet drink. I've had saffron before, and I can detect a small amount in the taste, as well as a slight alcohol burn. This tastes more like a champagne, or sweet wine, than it does a beer to me. Given that, it's still not bad, and is definitely one of the more unique beers that I've had.

Mouthefeel is kind of one the thin side, but It's one easy to drink beer. It's disappearing before my eyes.

RedHaze, Jan 10, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

Twelve ounce bottle with no dating system

Pours honey gold with virtually no foam and decent clarity. Small streamers vent from the bottom of the chalice with medium speed. Nose shows a honey dominance with alcohol esters and a hint of apple cider.

Entry is sweet with honey and midtaste features just a touch of saffron. The finish lingers with honey far after the blast of alcohol is felt slowly working its way down the throat.

This is a hybrid beer / mead that is truly an undertaking as only DFH could do...and while it is very good, it leaves one happy to be alive during the current state of beer!

IceAce, Jan 09, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Pours, well, a strong urine yellow with a small, fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Somewhat hazy with some particles floating.

Smell: Very sweet and grainy.

Taste: When I first tasted this beer my tastebuds were almost overwhelmed by its complexity and unique flavors. Very honey sweet up front with some mellow fruit flavors (grapes, apricots) coming in behind it. Malty and sweet grain flavors throughout, but mostly in the background.

Mouthfeel: Really nice and smooth and carbonated nicely, but not too much. Loses a point or so because it's kinda syrupy.

Drinkability: A little too sweet and syrupy for my taste, this one's gonna take awhile to finish.

This one is definitely worth trying if you are into experimenting with unique styles. I probably wont buy this again, but it was worth my time and money.

jamesdergen, Jan 08, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

01/04/06- Recieved via trade with Connecticutpoet.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with a dating strip on the side of the label.
Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Amber-orange in color. Lightly clouded. Specks and bits of yeast float around. 3/4 inch head with average lacing.

Smell- Ultra sweet malted scent with various spices and sugary hops. Vinous in scent at times as well.

Taste- Sweet and sour at the same time. First there is a tart saison-like taste...tangy. Then the sugary sweetness forms into place. Lemon rind, tangerine, apricots make the fruit flavors. White pepper and a few other spices with maybe a dash of honey as well.

Mouthfeel- Plays with the tongue. Uses all of the sensory spots. Dry, yet at the same time makes you salivate. Lightly creamy with a medium to lower carbonation level.

Drinkability- If ever the term sweet and sour would be used for a beer, this would be it. Very interesting style that leaves you wanting another. Tastes like it could be a great poolside beer, or at the same time, be a nice beer by the fire.

GClarkage, Jan 05, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +4%

I love the history behind this brew; lovely when different fields of science come together.
This beer tastes more like a South African honey wine mixed with some wheat/grains than a beer, but what a unique taste.
This beer appears a bit cloudy with a soft golden color and just a bit of cream colored head that dissipates quickly. Aromas of honey, grains, bread, and rice come to mind; very unique. The taste is a blend of honey derived sweetness with starch derived bitterness that just rolls over the tongue and leaves behing some nice spice flavors. A bit too dry in the finish for it's texture and components, especially for the alcohol content. The complexity of the flavors was just too much for me to crave more than one of these.

jaluria, Jan 02, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: This beer pours a golden orange, coopery color with a small - one pinky finger head. Clear. Highly carbonated. No Lacing.

Smell: Very hidden subtle aroma. Sweet malts, honey and fruits, like grapes, show up more and more as the beer warms.

Taste: Very straight foreword. For a 'spiced beer' it is NOT very spicy (which I am not complaining about because I don't like overkill but it was surprising). Simply sweet and malty. Hints of spices but overall very gentle to the palate.

Mouthfeel: Smooth. Thick and a bit sticky up front with a dry finish. Until it finishes warming to room temperature, then it is all sweet and smooth. ABV is completely hidden.

Drinkability: Truth is, I started drinking this beer, had about 2/3rds of it and set it aside. When I cam back to it, completely warmed to room temp, it was better than when I left it. IMO. I think the drinkability cold was a 3.5 and warm was a 4.5 so I suggest letting this one warm up.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Dec 31, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours a very nice opaque deep golden with a slight white ring on top of it. Smell is very sweet..honeyish...I like the effect.

The taste starts off with the honey from the smell and then rolls into a very nice tingly grape effect. Malts are present in abundance, and absolutely thrash the hops, which is to my liking. The hops still offer some slight back of the tongue tingles in the right spots though and add to a dry, yet tingly finish. I really like this stuff a lot.

The mouth on this is quite good, it has only light hop action, but it is very sticky and finds its way onto each taste bud. The drinkability is definitely top notch as well, very easy to drink because the sweet malty aspect makes it easy to quaff.

I hadn't had a lot of luck finding Dogfish beers that I would rebuy to this point, but Midas Touch is a very tasty offering and I highly recommend it to people who love sweeter beers with the malts dominating the hops.

CortexBomb, Dec 30, 2005
2.53/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I drank this brew chilled, poured out in a Leffe goblet that I received in a gift set.

Color was a light to medium amber hue, with a very thin and faint head that rapidly dissipated. Carbonation also appeared light.

The smell was very sweet, reminiscent of a very fruity, low quality wine. White grape dominates and is overpowering, followed by a faint trace of honey.

The mouthfeel was slightly slick, leaving my mouth wet, but with a bitter aftertaste and a sticky feel on the back of the throat. ABV is well-hidden behind a very sweet taste of grapes. The addition of honey is particularly strong once the beer is swallowed, leaving a disgustingly bitter aftertaste that reminds me of the feeling of ingesting cough syrup.

Unfortunately, I felt Midas Touch a bit hard to finish on two seperate occassions. The sweet taste is initially pleasant, very drinkable considering the ABV, but unfortunately the aftertaste is a bit too much for me to continue swallowing.

I love Dogfish Head's brews, but I'm going to have to pass on this one the next time I'm at my local store.

nouseforotacon, Dec 29, 2005
2.05/5  rDev -45%

This one is golden-amber in color and has a small off-white head.
The aroma is sweet with honey and malt.
Its flavor is very sweet as well. The honey is a bit too strong for my likings. The grapes also register on the taste buds near the finish along with a slight alcohol presence.
Mouth feel is thick and syrupy with high carbonation levels.

Naes, Dec 28, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +4%

12oz. bottle that a packed date on the side, but nothing was notched. I found in the single section of a local beer store. I thought it was something that I had to try for myself. I've never had a beer where the recipe was a couple thousand years old and found in a tomb.

Appearance: Poured a golden color with a thin head of white foam that dissipated as soon as the beer settled. The foam left no rings or lace, but there where alot of carbonation bubblels all through out the mug.

Smell: It wasn't as potent as I thought. Up front there was plenty of sweet honey and grapes and in the background, very little malt.

Taste: Very good! Sweet all the way, much like the smell. Lots of sweet honey and grapes, some malt and hops, and at the end lots of different spices. I don't know if the different spices was just the saffron itself because I've never tasted saffron before. Very different.

Mouthfeel: Again very sweet even in the mouthfeel. I did notice some alcohol in there as well, but I really couldn't feel that 9% ABV.

Drinkability: Overall a nice sweet beer that was very different. I've never tasted anything like this before. An expensive brew that ever beer drinker should try for themselves. This also made a nice representation of my first Dogfish Head brew.

AltBock, Dec 27, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance is golden-amber. White foamy head is produced during the pour, but falls off quickly with no lacing. The carbonation is composed of a milllion tiny, tiny bubbles that really produces a unique looking head.

Nose is sweet honey with malt. Also a mustiness is present that I guess could be from the grapes.

Flavor is sweet honey, much like a mead, with a distinct maltiness. The white grapes leave their mark here too. Kind of a meady malted grape combo. It's good, reminds me of some sweeter German wines that I have had. An Auslese, maybe.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy and very much like a sweet white wine.

Drinkability is on a par with mead. I enjoy one when I go the the Renaissance Fair every year, but don't miss it in between. It's sweetness limits it to a single serving, in my book. But it is very enjoyable, if I were more of a wine person, I might enjoy it even more.

ghostwalker, Dec 23, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

Strange brew this one. Kind of smells like dirty socks as it warms up. Pours a hazy orange yellow color with very little head. Very fine carbonation makes it way up from the bottom of the glass. Taste is hard to describe, initial thoughts were that it was like a combination of beer and white grape juice. In fact, that thought still persists so that's how I'll describe it. I could not drink more than one of these in a sitting. Pretty disappointing for the price really.

LarryV, Dec 16, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -14.2%

This is a very interesting beer, to say the least. Being a history geek, I just had to try this beer as the concept is very intriguing to me. I'm glad I was able to try it, even though I didn't much care for it. I can't help but wonder how close it is to the original.

The beer looks like a thinned out honey (basically a mead), but with a slight amber hue. Had to pour from a distance to get any head, and the carbonation is nonexistent, subsequently depriving the head of its staying power. It does leave a very thin and spotty lacing, but nothing impressive.

The smell is very grainy with plenty of honey and spices. Has a bit of a grapey white wine aroma. I've never had saffron on its own before, but there is an odd and very vaguely familiar smell to this beer that I am guessing is it. The smell is actually pretty good, if not a bit weird.

The taste is decent as well. Grain, spices, and honey up front with grape and alcohol on the swallow. The finish is a bit dry with some lasting spices and a remnant of the alcohol.

Like I said, I am thrilled to be able to try this ancient reproduction, but it really isn't anything too drinkable, much less good. I didn't expect to like it, but I wanted to try it anyway due to the backstory. Not recommended for anybody but history buffs.

neonbrown82, Dec 13, 2005