Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

My first Dogfish Head brew and it surely surprised me. The concept alone is enough to keep me entertained. I'm starting to love these "experimental" brews.

Pours a nice golden color with a head that barely hangs around to say hello. Aroma is immdiately interesting. Strong honey aroma but i also detect a lot of that grape fruitiness with some faint spice sneaking up from behind. Taste is a marvel. A lot of grape flavor mixed with a bit of honey which is all backed up by a warm alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. I can only drink 1 bottle of this a night but I have a feeling I'll be coming back often as i always try to pick up a 4 pack when I head down to Jungle Jim's in Cincy.

soper2000, Sep 02, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours hazy medium amber with very minute head that swirls around like a little galaxy in your goblet (if you're using a goblet). Immediately, the intense smells of honey and spice emanate from the brew. Very nice and sweet! Taste did not match the smell. Even still, mainly honey and grapes are maintained in the taste along with some spice (I assume is saffron from the label). It is very sweet for a beer, seems a bit meadish to me (which I greatly enjoy). Mouthfeel is very nice, creamy, and consistent. A pleasure to drink. But, I could barely finish one, let alone have another. It's a bit too intense for just slugging down a few.

aquatonex, Aug 29, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: A quickly eroding head that leaves little remnants of lacing around the maple colored substance.

Smell: Notable honey and ester tones followed by alcohol.

Taste: Wow is this beer complex. Honey and fruit followed by syrupy alcohol tingling.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The carbonation helps diffuse the syrupy feel increasing the beers drinkability. This beers honey syrup notes mimic the characteristics of a Barleywine’s malt character.

Ninjaworm, Aug 28, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

The beer pours a clear golden color with about a finger and a half of head that drops quickly to cover the beer with a nice ring around the top. I can really smell the honey and the grape in the nose, sweet from the honey and spicy from the grape. There is definately more of a honey flavor that I expected from the nose. It overpowers the grape easily, leaving me wanting a bit more. As I let the beer warm, the honey falls to the back and the spicy grape comes through more. Much better. The beer is nice and thick in my mouth, but the honey is again what dominates the mouthfeel. I'm just not that crazy about this much honey outside of a mead. I don't think I would want to have a full big bottle of this or a full 4 pack. I'm glad I went with the single 12oz-er. I think this is a beer worth trying once, but much more than that is probably overkill.

kmpitz2, Aug 13, 2004
3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a hazy copper-gold, topped with a three finger rocky off-white head, leaves webs of lacing.
Fruity grape and honey aroma. Floral note, but really strong wine-like grapes mostly. It smells a lot better than it tastes. Fruit flower blossoms, like an apple tree.
Fruity grape and honey taste, very sweet, gets cloying, peppery alcohol bite. Honey comes on stronger with warming.
Medium bodied. Weird but interesting for awhile, nice to try but I wouldn't get it again.

mschofield, Aug 12, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

One of the goodies I dug up in a recent beerarchaeological exploration of Providence, RI. I didn't know quite what I was looking at when I found it, and had to return to the lab for closer analysis.

Examination of the bottle revealed a thin dusty coating, and some tearing at the corners of the (surprisingly modern-looking) label. This had gone undiscovered for a while.

Imagine my pleasant surprise when I discovered the vessel had an opening which, upon release, yielded something not entirely unlike beer!

It wasn't entirely *like* beer either, mind you. The liquid was a slightly hazed orange in color, with a very thin off white head. This had me fooled for a while, but the head soon dissipated into nothingness, and searched in vain for reinforcements from the scant carbonation.

The aroma was markedly different from most other samples of the sort: dominated by a honey sweetness with slight hints of grape lending a slight tang to the edges. Hmm... Dare I taste it?

Perhaps it was the largeish bottle, or the appearance of age playing tricks on my mind, but the first sip struck me as fairly...winey. The honey of the aroma was still present, as was the grape-skin, now lending a mild acidity to the finish. Alcohol is evidently present, albeit in apparently mild form, contributing some spicy esters at the finish.

The carbonation is felt more than it is seen, and helps to cut the sweetness of the "beer." The acidity of the grapes and the alcohol contribute to a fairly dry finish.

I ended the day quite pleased with my find. This was, I will admit, not the easiest thing in the world to drink 750 ml of by one's self. But no one ever said science was going to be easy...

mzwolinski, Jul 24, 2004
2.73/5  rDev -26.8%

Clear orange with a substantial cap of white foam. Head fades rapidly and leaves just a touch of head. Aroma is sickly sweet with a spicy, herbal note. Flavor is sweet and all the ingredients make an appearance. Mouthfeel is good, but sadly the flavor is really unbearable. I really wanted to like this beer because the concept is beyond cool. Sadly it seems there is a reason the recipe was lost for thousands(?) of years.

Sixpack595, Jul 07, 2004
3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Off-white head that dissipates rather quickly. Light orange/golden color, that looks to be a bit watery. A nice lacing pattern but doesn't hold well.

A raisin/date/apricot? sweetness with an abundance of alcohol aroma. A spiciness that cuts into the fruit flavor.

Sweet raisin honiness with a nice nutty quality at the end. Very carbonated accompanying the wide variety of flavors. Raisin, almond, date and a nice spiciness that is balanced well with the honey sweetness.

Although the variety of flavors are balanced well, the alcohol component unfortunately is not. The 9%abv drowns out the flavors of the ale. It would have been nicer to keep the high abv with the other tastes being more flavorful. All in all a bit unbalanced.

A bit too sweet considering the 9% abv. I just can't see drinking more than one in a night, but that's not stopping me for giving dogfishhead the nod for such a creative concoction. I would definitely recommend this just based on the uniqueness.

NEhophead, Jul 01, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer would have been served to royalty. I'm not going to say that this is *that* superb that it's fit for kings. But conceptually, this is a very experiential, regally flavored beer. Lots of flavor, lots of aroma, lots of oomph.

A bit hazy. Melon orange and rich, dark gold in color. Intense spiciness. Incredibly aromatic -- floral, honey, golden raisins (wrong DFH beer, I know; but it's there, I'm sure of it), and pulverized, dilluted plum skin lending a mouth-wateringly unripe sort of fragrance. Definitely alcoholic. A big sweetness. Honey and exotic spices. I suppose that characteristic aroma and flavor I can't put my finger on might be the saffron that this is brewed with. Very much a sensory overload sort of beer. Sheer experimentation. While not all that subtle, it's fascinating stuff.

marburg, Jun 30, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +4%

Plopped this DFH into a chalice to see what gives. A gorgeous misty peach hued pour with a scant head coating and tiny bubbles rising endlessly. A bit 'o clinging lace sticks here and there. Bottled-on notch indicates Oct 2003.

Mixed fruit scents that are, according to the label, honey, white grapes and saffron. I detect champagne like nose that smells of green apples, barnyard hay and celery. Bright nose. Almost gueze notes.

Bitter twinged flavor that puckers me mouth plenty. Yeasty sour white grapes rule then roost here. I am wrestling with this flavor. Mostly sour apple with spices. Driest of the dry aftertastes. Absolutely no hints of the 9% awl-kee-hawl content, even through the long 20 minute warmed up session. The bitter end warmed up with tons of honey & malts. Where did this come from?

Tons of tongue sizzle that result from the high ABV and grape body.

Can't say that this has high drinkability because of high 9.0% ABV and unique palate twists.

Last swigs: Interesting mixed flavor perplexed my best tasting efforts that garnered a generous 4/5. A mixed style taste in this "Ancient Ale" that has spice and sparkle. Reminds me heavily of DFH Au Currant with more spicy sizzle. Not sure if this is a good celler beer, but we are going to find out. A totally recomended beer for the adventure seeker.

Beer is good. Happy strong spicey beering.

blitheringidiot, Jun 29, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

Had this is a 12 oz. bottle, and I was dying to try it because of the history behind it.

It poured a deep hazy yellow color, almost shading to orange. I bought it at room temp, and chilled it lightly in an ice bucket at the hotel I was staying at. Just laid it atop the ice, didn't immerse it because I didn't want to soak the label, and since the ancient didn't have refrigeration, I wanted to recreate the experience pretty closely.

It basically smelled like a white wine to me. There were hints of honey, but no maltiness came through the wine aroma.

I must say that I didn't like it much at first. It was highly carbonated and spicy , shifting quickly to a white wine taste, which then slowly faded to a honey and malt finish. But as it warmed in my hand,it mellowed and grew on me. Still not a beer that I would drink regularly, not at $3.75/bottle, but one that I would bring out for special occasions with a few fellow beer lovers.

Definately worth trying, both because of the history, and because it's so out of the ordinary.

connecticutpoet, Jun 20, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Note: 12oz bottle from new 4 packs.

Appearance:

An opaque pale brown with slight carbonation, and no head/lacing of the glass.

Smell:

Sweet and grapey, reminiscent of some wines (probably due to the presence of muscat grapes in this concoction).

Taste/Mouthfeel:

I've had this beer in a 750 mL bottle for 2 years now, but have been afraid to open it, because they weren't making it anymore, so I was ecstatic to these in a 4 pack that could be easily sampled with no guilt. I have to say this is some intriguing brew.

cbl2, Jun 15, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

This pleasant historical recreation pours golden and forms little head. the grape and grain aroma is interesting but not all that exciting. I really enjoyed the flavors mingling mead and wine as there were string grassy notes, grape skin and dry wine flavors - all brought together with diacetyl. There is an alcohol presence giving the beer a light and dry mouth feel. It's enjoyable, and drinkable - but not something that I would routinely pour for my self. I would break it out at dinner parties.

AllThingsNinja, May 15, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Orangey copper color with a thin white head that starts out low and quickly drops. Very clear, with thin rows of tiny bubbles rising up. Aroma is light, consisting of hops and honey. Mouthfeel is full and creamy, with a little tingle toward the back of the tongue. Flavor is semi-sweet, with notes of corn and honey, and a bit of butterscotch. Some white wine notes in the finish, probably from the muscat grapes, but not too overpowering. A sweet malt flavor lingers. Not as complex as I hoped, but it gets better as it warms. Even so, there's a part of me that can't help thinking that this tastes a little like Budweiser with sugar added.

far333, Apr 14, 2004
3.4/5  rDev -8.8%

I picked this up at Barley's Taproom and Pizzaria in Knoxville, TN. The pour was yellow with a one half inch head. The head quickly dissapated to a light ring that didn't stick to the sides of the glass.

The smell was sweet with a strong grape if not a wine overtone.

The taste was more like that of mead than beer. The start was that of wine with a just a hint of honey. The finish was a mix of sweet and sour grapes. Absolutely no hops here!

It wasn't a bad drink, just not what I expected. Quite refreshing, makes a great dessert.

coasterfreak75, Apr 06, 2004
2.95/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours to a cloudy amber, forming a small rocky white head with decent retention and minimal lacing. Carbonation is mild, and took a hefty pour to conjur any head at all. Head quickly fizzled to a well-retaining thin layer of sticky bubbles. Aroma is interesting...foremostly mead with the stinky shoes character, a suggestion of hops, lightly yet wildly fermented grape juice, malt and a floral perfume, but not saffron. I truly wonder how many people would have saffron mentioned in their review if it wasn't printed on the label, because I'm not picking any up at all. Mouthfeel is syrupy and cloying with a dense body and a ruddy oiliness upon the back of the tongue. Taste begins phenolic, is very sweet, a hint of fusels, hefty lingering syrupy pale malts, grape booze (MadDog 20/20?), port, laquer bite in the aftertaste from the fusels. The aftertaste is sweet and alcoholic. Warming.

Not very good in my book. An interesting brew, but thank god for hops. The mouthfeel is sickening and urges me not to finish this bottle. But I must, I must, for the love of the beer gods. I would only ever drink this with another beer geek. Big does not equal better.

Mitchster, Apr 02, 2004
3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

It is difficult to pigeon hole this beer in a specific style. It is interesting in that it has a little bit of everything. It has an orange gold color with a slight haze. The aroma is fruity, winey, perfumey and the saffron is evident. The body is coating, almost syruppy with some grape and malt character evident. It finishes with a slight spice. Not bad. It is different from anything that I have ever had. I'm not sure there are many occasions to drink this beer/mead/wine, but it is something that I'm glad I tried.

ark57, Mar 18, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -4%

Pours a golden orange color with a spotty head. No lacing with this one. No visible carbonation. The aroma is strong with sweetness. The flavor is of malt, grapes, citrus, and honey. Definitely sweet with no bitterness at all. Alcohol is definitely noticeable.

The mouthfeel is of thick malt and is slightly syrupy. Slightly dry aftertaste that has a mild citrus bite. Very unique brew, and I definitely want to try this again.

Gavage, Mar 16, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

large champagne bottle, with cork and cage. Pours cloudy orange/golden. Nice nose of fruit, wine, raisins. Lovely soft flavors of fruit, wine, grapes, spice,pepper. Buttery mouthfeel, tastes similar to a saison to me. with the spice and earthyness of the flavors. Interesting beer. Vinious notes, grape skins etc. Dogfishhead continues to amaze. Innovaters and risk takers. Try their beers, visit their locations and be thankful for em!

Billolick, Mar 07, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a hazy ruddy orange color and is topped by an off-white head. This beer has a fairly low level of carbonation, and it is surprising how well the head appears. Aromas of acid, grape, wine, musty, sweet, and malt are all in here. It is a bit sweeter in the taste than the aroma suggests. There is no balancing bitterness that one usually finds in a beer, Fruity, but more like fresh grapes than wine. The malt comes through towards the end of each sip but it is in this beer. I cannot say that I am able to pick up any of the delicate honey character, it probably contributes to the sweetness but the other flavors dominate. This beer has a good fresh grape character to it which makes it quite pleasant to drink. There is a soft acidity here (perhaps grape derived), but it is not quite enough to balance out the sweetness. Perhaps there is a bit of stale malt flavors in the finish.

Quite an interesting attempt at resurrecting a bit of history. I am duly impressed by any brewery that is willing to take the risk to brew beers like this on a regular basis.

Gueuzedude, Mar 02, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle that gave no hint of carbonation when I popped the cork, it's a suprisingly clear honey gold, with amber highlights. A very minimal white head quickly implodes on itself, leaving faint cirrus wisps on a glassy surface.

There's a sweet sherry aroma, indentifiably vinous and mingling with notes of vanilla and spice, which I'd guess is the saffron. Lurking beneath is a very real and solid backbone of alcohol.

You simply cannot be prepared for the thick honey sweetness that cloys at the tongue and mouth. It leaves sugary traces on the lips, like syrup, or candy. A sherry/grape character stomps in along with a biscuity malt essence that almost tastes like it has a crust. Never managing to hide itself is a potent armada of alcohol that commands you to take notice. The finish is simply a melange of all the components that have come before, fading slowly.

Full bodied, it's thick and treacly ,with the sweetness almost numbing the tongue. Like melted caramel, it clings to the palate, just short of sticking to the roof of your mouth.

How often do you get to drink of ancient history? Yes it is cloyingly sweet, but there's considerable depth in it's flavor elements, and memorable for its historical context. The dense honey sweetness is no surprise in a big DFH beer, nor is the substantial ABV, but they do limit this beer somewhat. The blend of flavors make it palatable, but that alcohol, and the fact it sips more like a cordial than a beer, seriously truncate how much you'd want. Sure, it is a curiosity, but it's also one more intriguing experiment from the first state's gutsy brewery. And I'm glad I tried it.

Foxman, Feb 28, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +22.8%

No "fst" whatsoever when I cracked this bottle, but fortunately there's obviously some carbonation after a vigorous pour. It left a thin white head of tiny bubbles on top of a golden orange translucent body. The aroma is a fabulous mix of lots of fruity fermented goodies, though none of those listed on the bottle are uniquely identifiable. This reminds me very much of the aroma of a syrupy mess of molasses, honey, and brown sugar that a friend fermented with a dry ale yeast, which ended up high in alcohol but with a ton of thick residual sweetness. The mouthfeel of this is syrupy as well, though definitely not unpleasantly so. The initial flavor balance is far toward the sweet side of the spectrum, with an abbey ale-type flavor early. A slight noticable alcohol comes out in the middle, maybe from a wininess contributed by the grapes, though this is far too subtle for me to be sure. The finish is a wonderful fruity, tart dryness with a touch of grain. The dryness then seems to fade leaving a lingering coat of sweetness.

This beer is a unique treat, and the historical mystique behind it (if a bit conjectural) makes drinking this that much more interesting. I'm only disappointed that I waited so long to try this.

Stopper, Feb 20, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +28.7%

My buddies and I saw Dogfish Heads Midas Touch and it looked very apealing to us. It came in a 4 pack and was high priced at $10.99 but we decided to try it anyway and it paid off. This stuff has to be the smoothest and best tasting beer ive had, stouts excluded...theyre pretty smooth. Midas Touch has a nice honey flavor which is probably why it is at 9%. I had this beer about 6 months ago and seeing it on this site again i am going to get another 4 pack tonight just because how good it is. Iv noticed that Dogfish Heads beer seem to be kind of harsh tasting and insaine but this is their best work. cheers to brewer/owner Sam Calagione

simmons, Feb 19, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +8%

This is a beautiful color, a true amber with a wonderful glow. The head isn't as impressive, an off white, on the small size, but a thin layer lingers and it laces nicely. Very winey aroma, a bit earthy, but not a lot else. The flavor is really nice. Light caramel, late summer grapes (especially of the scuppernong/muscadine variety) and honey. Light sweetness, but not too sweet. I really like this. It's definitely interesting. Makes me think of late summer for some reason.

aracauna, Feb 18, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -30.3%

Somewhere between a bock and a typical Belgian golden ale, Dogfish Head Midas Touch is a honeyed, lightly grapey mess of flavors and textures. Almost immediately flat, this brew ends up drinking more like a honeyed spirit or mixed drink. With some mead characteristics, the primary tastes in this brew are the muscat grapes and an undercooked caramel. At times this is a Belgian, at times it's a bad special bitter and, through it all, this beer is unbalanced and unsure of itself. The saffron hints at the nose, but is subdued by some ripe fusel alcohol. The finish is very dry and highlights the English-style maltiness; it redeems this beer.

To know what this beer is is a tough task; DFH makes itself vulnerable to criticism by releasing a beer based on something no one has ever heard of. That said, there are all sorts of beers on the market from Baladin Nora to different gruits that take old or otherwise extinct styles of beer and revitalize them into something spectacular. Midas Touch drinks more like a bastardization of several existing styles of beer than a rehashing of anything historic.

I can only hope more breweries make beer like this, but the Midas Touch itself is a failure.

Relax, relax.