Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.32/5  rDev -11%

Another expensive ale from Dogfish Head, but I had to give this a shot. It poured with a curious consistency, carbonated, but more fizzy and less airy than most things we recognize as beer. It’s shiny yellow-orange. The aroma is interesting musty, almost meady, honey-laced and thick. As I sip this, I am intrigued by this barrier-breaker ... its alcohol warmth reminds me of ice wine ... it’s got a big malty undercurrent that almost tastes like a big, thick malt liquor ... and it leaves a sweet honey-like glaze on my tongue like mead. Interesting to be sure, but doesn’t make me want to plop down $8 for a bottle again. I’d rather get a 4-pack of the 90-minute IPA. Wonder how well Dogfish could do making a regular ol’ lager. (#2751, 3/15/2007)

3.32/5  rDev -11%

12 ounce brown bottle dated 01/02/2007.

Pours clear golden yellow with medium carbonation and no head or lace. Mostly sweet aroma. Sugary grain & honey are balanced with sour grape and herbal notes. Flavor is dominated by strong honey tones at the beginning and end, with bitter grape and leafy saffron notes in the center. Body is syrupy, medium-thick, with moderate carbonation. Not as bad as the Raison d'Etra, but not a winner either. Dogfish Head should stick to barley & hops; stop the fermented grape experiments.

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

A deliciously different beer than i've had before. Pours with almost no head, and what little there is quickly dissipates. Color wise, i'd put it somewhere near a strong tea color. Smells more like a mead than an ale. You can really smell the honey and grapes used in the recipe, and taste them as well. Very sweet, like a Gewurztraminer or ice wine. Can't tell it's 9% abv.... Very well done. Highly recommended, but if you are not a fan of sweet, then you wouldnt like it.

3.41/5  rDev -8.6%

Simply put, an anthropological romp down beer lane. Little to no head at pour, minimal carbonation. Sweet honey taste that historically seems accurate.

Worth buying a bottle just to taste something similar to what passed Midas’s lips. Not the best “Beer you’ll ever taste” but dammed if it’s not an interesting and yet still tasty drink.

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Clear amber, not heading twoards yellow, more orange.

S - I could get a lot of scent off of this beer. Made me think of Reslings and sweet.

T - Sweet wine, like a resling or muscot, some honey.

M - Not supper thick or thin. Just a nice feel, not too much carbonation.

D - I could drink this couple of times a week, but at the price (3.50 for a 12oz) I don't think I will. Good experiance, great beer. Well done.

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to dogfooddog for this.

It pours an orange amber color with very little head and easy going carbonation.

Smell has hints of straw, honey and vanilla and smells kind of mineralic. The grapes give the beer a little winey smell, but different more like fermented grapes. I know this sounds the same, but I hope you know what I mean. After this I get some nutmeg and clovey smells. Below that is a faint alcohol smell.

Taste is slightly bitter with honey, nutmeg and vanilla as the most perfumy tastes. In general this beer is spicy and herbal with the grapes giving the beer a nice tang and some adstringency. Body is a little thin, but this is to be expected from a beer with these amounts of 'adjuncts'. Mouthfeel is very little sticky and alcohol is kind of hot when swallowed.
If I did not know that there was honey, grapes and herbs in it, I probably would not have guessed it.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

Midas Touch, when poured into a pint glass, looked quite similar to a Belgian Strong Pale Ale due to its clear, highly bubbly, golden body, and a head that was big and pillowy at first. The head settled down to a steady layer of foam, with a good deal of lacing. The smell of the also seemed inspired by Belgian styles, as there was the noticeable saffron and spice presence, followed by the muscat grape smell, which is not too different than candi sugar. The taste was sweet and light, which was different than most Belgians which generally tend to be a lot drier. I could taste the sweet honey and white grapes, sense the floral delicateness of the saffron, and got a little hint of citric sourness at the back end of each sip. Alcohol was evident in a warmth, but not abrasive. Mouthfeel was light but sticky. Different than most beers, but not as different as I was initially anticipating. Would have no problem finishing off the rest of this four pack.

3.34/5  rDev -10.5%

Bottle into stein.

When poured into the stein, the head dissapates quickly leaving just the golden body. (Looks exactly like apple juice) Rich in color, not much active carbonation. The smell, IMO, is the best thing about this brew, spicy with a strong presence of grapes, red more than white. Also some apples and light cherry. Very sweet taste, with the ripe grapes and a sour finish to go along with a bready aftertaste that eases back into the grapes. Watery in the mouth with light carbonation combined with the heavy sweetness. The finish will make you think you are drinking chardonnay. The fact that this is very, very sweet really damages its drinkability but this is a good brew to turn to for something very unique.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

I like Dogfish Head, but wouldn’t have purchased this had I not seen it on Modern Marvels, “Breweries”. There is an interesting story behind the creation of this beer. Essentially it’s a replica of a 2,700 year old brew found in a royal tomb in Turkey, obviously believed to be that of King Midas.

As for a review…
Appearance – golden and clear in color. A very smooth appearance.

Smell – very sweet, like wine. The smell of honey is very evident.

Taste – It’s a very sweet beer that I would compare with a crisp white wine. Tastes good, but I wouldn’t consider it a regular addition to the fridge. My wife, a primarily wine-drinker, liked this beer a lot.

Mouthfeel – Not much carbonation, but felt crisp.

Drink – Good. A bit too sweet to drink more than a couple, but a glass with dinner was very nice.

I paid $13 for a 4-pack. Steep, but I’m willing to support Dogfish on this one at least once for their innovation (or replication?) of this beer. I would recommend trying once, but wouldn’t suggest buying a 12-pack of it.

3.47/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear light amber, no head, no lace. There was a touch of bubble streams coming up from the bottom of the glass, but not much. Overall I thought it could have looked a little more lively. The smell was a dead ringer for a white wine. Very sweet grapes and alcohol were all over this one. Hints of honey and grain as it warmed, but really looks and smells like wine. The taste, well lets just say, is this a beer? Don't get me wrong, its not all bad, I just really think this has all the earmarks of a glass of wine. Heavily carbonated white grape taste hits you from the start, as it warmed maybe some honey in there, grainy bread flavors and a touch of alchol, which is not suprising given 9%abv. It has a very light, and lively feel and consistency. Very easy to drink, again though it really felt like a wine. I guess its the style. I will be trying it again though, as it did not really leave any bad inpression.

3.99/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: A vibrant golden hue with a small head. The carbonation looks fairly aggressive in my goblet; it has a beautiful primeval appearance like liquid gold.

Smell: Wine like, I get a hint of vinegar. It doesn’t really smell like beer, but it isn’t awful.

Taste: Smooth malt taste, there is a sweet overtone – it isn’t overpowering at all. Swirling it around my mouth I get the bitterness of the brew, quite mild. I really like the way this beer tastes, it isn’t like a traditional beer. This is a really nice hybrid brew; I find it more like mead then beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick, good carbonation. I consider the mouthfeel solid.

Drinkability: the high ABV makes it hard to drink more then 2 without getting piss ass drunk, the price makes me not want to buy it very often. When I drink this beer I frequently want to drink quite a few, it feels like a beverage that ancient man would drink large quantities of while celebrating.

3.34/5  rDev -10.5%

The aroma coming off the pour was a lot of fun. It was sweet and spicy and strong... I wanted to just sniff for a while. This looks exactly like a cream soda and has a somewhat similar taste. The honey gives it plenty of sweetness while the grapes steer the flavor. The result is something like grape Bubblicious, but in a restrained, non-offensive way. I couldn't drink too many of these in a session; either the sweetness or the ABV would overwhelm me.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a copper brown with practically no head which completely disappears quickly. Has a sweet taste with a hint of hops. Finishes like a belgian wheat ale. Not bad, has a good alcohol bite to it. Very good enough beer, but way overpriced ($12/4-pack)

2.83/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured into a pint glass. My immediate impression is that this looks like soda. There's a lot of carbonation and the head looks like one you'd find on ginger ale. The color is a pale amber & is quite clear with lots of carbonation bubbles. The smell is almost caustic like solvent or a cleaning product, but beyond that is honey, grapes, & some spice. The taste is the most interesting part of this experience - sweet and spicy. It's nice, but nothing to write home about, reminiscent of a spiced wine spritzer. Mouthfeel is harsh due to the ABV and carbonation. I don't know if I could drink more than one of these - ever. If I caught it on tap, I might give it another shot. Recommendation to avoid.

2.55/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into tumbler at 45 dgrees. Noticed right away there was absolutly no head. Straw colored brew smelled like beer I use to make with Mr. Beer kit. Tasted like it also. Very flat tasting. Still it was interesting to try a beer that was made so long ago. I think you should try it and see what you think. Personally I'm glad we have better beer today. Not buy again.

3.82/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a 24 karat gold color, that is brilliantly clear. Two finger head has little retention, and leaves nothing behind.

Aroma is mild, yet interesting. A bit of yeast and fresh bread are in there, but are overpowered by honey, and solvent like alcohol. Slight chemical like aroma is hard to shake.

Flavor is smooth and delicious. the honey really comes through, and not in a sweet way at all. Taste like orange blossom honey, as there is a distinct citrus aspect to the sweetness. Also has a the distinct flavor of welch's white grape juice. Hardly any malt flavor and devoid of hops. Finish is dry and tingly, aided by agressive carbonation. Mouthfeel is smooth and moderately heavy. Drinkability is good considering the ABV.

I like this beer, but I just don't know what to think of it. This is so far out there from any other beer I've ever had, that I don't know how to think of it, or compare it to others. This is almost more of a mead than a beer. But any way you look at it, it's delicious, well made, and a cool project. Another winner from DFH I say, and worth trying. At the very least, it's something completely different from anything else you've ever had (unless you've recently had Chataeu Jiahu....)

3.43/5  rDev -8%

Bottled on 01/04/06

Pours deep golden yellow with a thin head that soon becomes a thin, floating patch (nice color - not that great of head retention, but somewhat expected for abv).

The smell is of honey with an herbal background.

The taste is of sweet honey and barley malt. Do I detect the grapes and saffron? Not quite sure. Maybe the grapes, that gives it an almost winey character and some balance, the saffron? Well, it's an unusual additive to beer. Maybe. There is something keeping the sweetness from becoming overwhelming - not hop bitterness though. This has an unusual taste (as expected)... not bad...can't say I really love it though. A restrained peppery alcohol is in the mix. I had this last year when it was fresher, and I do think the alcohol mellowed nicely. Worth cellaring for awhile.

The feel is medium, with lingering sweetness and an alcohol sharpness.

Not so easy to drink - It's certainly a slow sipper. An interesting brew, but I can't say I particularly enjoyed it too much- not really my thing - but worth having as a conversational piece and good enough try. This is my second or third one in the last one, and I doubt I would get again, esp. considering the hefty price.

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another interesting beer from these guys.

The first thing I noticed was the grapes. Not too up front, but probably the most notable characteristic of the beer- smell and taste. Doesn't feel like 9% ABV. I thought it seemed like it had a bit of a sour taste to it as well, though I'd like to have another to be sure.

I enjoyed this beer, but considering the pricetag, I won't frequent it. Worth a try, of course.

3.73/5  rDev 0%

A: Pale copper in color and very clear. There are a ton of bubbles flowing up through this brew. Not too much of a head and not too much retention.

S: Grapes are the primary scent. Not too much aroma. You really have to look for the aromas with this one because of the weakness of the scent.

T: Very different. Taste like a mix of wine and beer. delicate flavor, but mostly taste like white wine. I can't really tell what kind of malt is being used but there is a general malt presence. I can't taste any of the honey mentioned on the label.

M: light and crisp. Very nice tingling on the tongue from the carbonation.

D: I have to give it to DFH, I think this is one of the coolest things ever done in brewing. I'm not too much of a wine drinker so this isn't my favorite, but it is full of flavor and well balanced. This is a great brew to try atleast once.

3.73/5  rDev 0%

Brilliant golden yellow color, very crisp and clear. Almost no head, at least no retention. No carbonation.

Very sweet - honey sweet. Rich and sticky thick.

Very sweet - honey sweet, strangely enough. It is rich and sticky sweet.

Somewhat smooth, yet sticky sweet. Moderate oral foamation, almost no carbonation.

Midas Touch is a very sweet sticky honey brew – a nice mead. The price automatically pushes it into the “special occasion” category. It is nice and fun to try, but I think once is enough.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

Bottle courtesy of Beerandblues2: Poured a golden bright yellow color ale with a big thick foamy head with great retention and lacing. Aroma of sweet malt (probably due to the honey) is interesting and quite intriguing. Taste is very sweet with a champagne like feel with lots of fine bubbles. While this beer was quite sweet I never thought it was exceedingly so. The presence of Muscat grapes were well balance with the malt and the honey. I’m not sure I really pick-up any saffron but this beer was very good nonetheless.

3.79/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cellar aged for about 6 months, presentation of a large snifter to ancentuate the anticipated nose.

Poured a bright, slighty hazy orangish-brassy sunset, a crisp color with a faint trail of bubbles rising from the center. Head was a loose pencil's worth of a dull yellow-almond foam that agitated nicely and faded rather quickly with each effort and laced sporadically.

The nose, as I hoped, is awesome. Like walking in a candy store and sticking your face in the orange chewies. A devine citrus (orange) aroma, fresh cut apple, with multiple spice accents offset by a sugary zing, perhaps some dried pit fruits like cherry. Traces of anise (licorice?) I can't put my finger on the spices, but its just one of the best noses on a beer in recent memory.

Thats It! Scotch!! This has a lot of aromatic qualities of some single malts I've had...must be the alcohol as well.

For all the hoopla on the nose, its actually quite timid on the initial tongue. Some soft malts, caramel, a little creamy. The oddest sensation happens - the taste literally runs to my throat. I can taste it on my throat while I'm still enjoying it ...strange. Some hop bitterness back there, subtle spices, maybe a pich of pepper, then a definite warming on the swallow (actually a nice POW of alcohol), then a lovely, chewy, warm citrus aftertaste that, again, reminds me of some single malts I've enjoyed.

This is one of the most unusual beers I've tried. I'm not really sure what to think of it. The nose is wonderful, but the mouthfeel is really subdued, but yet has a pronounced & lovely swallow & aftertaste.

I often compare beers to riding a roller coaster, with all the peaks, valleys, hills, dips, turns, etc. This one has 2 huge hills at the start and the end, but yet very little in between. I admit I wasn't expecting it to be so scotch like in some regards, but I'm not complaining. That said, I really think this could benefit from something between that big nose & big swallow. If you are looking for something different, this is it. I'd drink it again, and recommend it as an unusual experience that, like vacation amusement park roller coasters, are nice places to visit but I definitely wouldn't want to live there.

3.22/5  rDev -13.7%

After watching History Channel’s Modern Marvels on Brewing, I've been anticipating to get my hands on this. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. The body of this brew was too clear and had no head retention. The brew did smell of honey and saffron, but seemed to maybe victimize of oxidation. Honey is the dominant flavor here, but there is a hint of the grape juice here. I can't really say the malt and the hops are vivid here, but they are detectable. Overall this is unique and palatable. Dogfish Head is very innovative at trying to recreate this ancient recipe, so kudos to y’all.

3.26/5  rDev -12.6%

*Served at cellar temperature from a 12 oz bottle and poured into a pint glass

Pours an clear amber color with fizzy (ginger ale)-type head that quickly fizzles out to absolutely nothing on the surface but oxygen rising from the bottom.

At first the aroma reminds me much of a Chardonnay wine; white grapes on the nose along with some sweet sugary honey. Lots of alcohol hits my sinuses on this one which probably kills much of that aroma; maybe the word "tart" comes to mind. Not looking full-bodied, this tastes much like an old ale with lots of sugar up front (probably ages well); A slight bitterness comes through with a sucralose flavor which doesn't do it any justice, but grapes definitely jump out at me throughout, and the alcohol really hits me throughout the entire experience; wow! A bit tingly up front on the sides of my tongue, but a medium-to-full body which drys out a lot at the finish due to the alcohol burn. I actually like it but it is a "wee bit" HOT! wow! Due to abv. this one is a sipper. Probably too sweet to drink much of. I'd like to age one, but I'd probably not recommend unless you like the old ale/belgian type. This is probably my lowest rated brew from Dogfish Head, whom I love greatly.

3.3/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Very small head that disappears rather quickly. The color is pretty much exactly like it says, golden. Overall appearance is rather good, although I would appreciate more retention on the head. Lacing on the glass was not very apparent.

The aroma is extremely sweet. The saffron smell is distinct, and the smell of honey is quite strong. The slightest bit of hops is discernable.

The main taste that I had was of honey, along with grape and saffron. Very little bitterness, some from the saffron and some from a tiny amount of hops. Very warming finish. Just OK, its nothing that I would write home about.

The mouthfeel left something to be desired for me. It is thick, syrupy, and seemed to have a low amount of carbonation. However, it was very smooth.

Drinkability was alright. The syrupy feel to the beer made me less likely to drink another beer. However, the amount of alcohol in the beer is masked well. I might be able to drink another, but the sweetness isn't settling in my stomach too well.

Overall, this isn't my style beer. I bought it for the history behind it, and mostly out of curiosity. I doubt I will try this beer again, as the cost is rather high, and the taste is only so-so. It gives you something fun to talk about though.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery