Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful gold with a quickly fading head. Lots of carbonation.

Aroma: Malt and sugary sweetness most noticable. Some citrus tones. Nice aromas, but somewhat mild.

Taste: Malty tones up-front, wht the distinctive muscat grape flavors dominating the finish. Reminds me of a nice French dessert wine. Intriguing and quite tasty.

Mouthfeel: Flavorful, but not too heavy. Honey and muscat give some body, but also lend to a slightly acidic finish.

Drinkability: A very interesting brew, both from a historical and flavor standpoint. Nothing to drink on a regular basis, but definately good to have around. A surprisingly good beverage.

winomark, Feb 02, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

12oz. bottle: This one poured a dark golden color, with just a hint of haze to it. There was absolutely no head to it at all, and I even tried halfway through the pour to make one. The aroma is sweet and a bit spicy. Possibly floral and grape notes also. The taste is fairly sweet and almost a little syrupy. Definite grapes and honey in there. The sweetness lingers a bit in your mouth. Very interesting, and very good! I love it when these guys push the envelope!

Boto, Jan 29, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a nice amber color with a slight haze and some white particles drifting around the glass. Medium sized head on top that reduces quickly to a thin lace on the surface. Lots of carbonation rising to the surface. Wonderfully complex aroma. Malty and fruity… grapes are apparent, and a bit of apple is also noticeable. I can detect some spice on the nose. It may be the saffron that is mentioned on the label, but I never would have know if it wasn’t on the bottle. A touch of floral hops and alcohol are also in the aroma. Palate, like the nose, seems to be quite complex. There’s a smooth sweet slightly malty start shortly followed by fruity flavors. Some sweetness and smoothness is also added by the honey. Grapes and grape skins are quite noticeable, and I’m still detecting a touch of apple. The finish is sweet, yet is also slightly hoppy and fairly tart. The malt comes through a bit more again in the aftertaste. There’s a bit of a warming sensation as this brew goes down. Full mouth feel with a nice carbonation. Great brew that is pretty complex and definitely unique. I’m finding it a bit tough to piece together all the flavors in this review. It would probably make for a nice desert beer and is certainly a nice change of pace.

byrd, Jan 26, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

Cloudy orange colored beer pours with a minmal amount of white foam. The aroma is very earthy, and reminds me of wild honeycomb right out of the hive. Taste is very sweet, with a strong honey notes. Also a hint of grape jelly. A slight graininess and earthy overtone are evident on the finish. Mouthfeel is rather full. Drinkability is OK, but this beer seems very filling. This is a unique beer. One bottle was enough.

aaronh, Jan 23, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

King Midas captured my moniker's namesake after he became excessively drunk (more than normal). In fact, Midas and Silenius were drinking buddies!

Therefore, I feel a connection to this beer. But I have enjoyed it many times before I picked my moniker, so that didn't influence my opinion.

Served slightly warmer than fridge temp. in a tulip glass.

It pours with a slightly opaque wild honey color. Amber with glints of orange. I like this color. Its head is shallow and short-lived and left no lace in the glass. A few lazy carbonation bubbles are evident in the glass.

A pleasant honey, muscat grape, and butter aroma hit me when I stuck my nose in the glass. The honey aroma is more evident as the beer warms. A little swirling brings it out even more. I could smell this all day long

This beer has a looong finish an great mouthfeel. It hangs around your mouth for a while and reminds you how good it is. The buttery honey taste and a malty backbone keep it balanced. A stupendous effort, but like a rich dessert, I wouldn't consume one after another. One at a time is plenty for me.

silenius, Jan 22, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer poured a honey/orange/reddish color, I assume the color was somewhat influenced by the use of saffron. It was fairly clear with a slight chill haze to it. Decent carbonation. The head that was produced was of a butter cream/tan color that when first poured rose and stayed for a time before it fell to a ring on the edges. Its body was cloud like fluffy. There was some lace present. The aromas were different then I expected, sweet, honey and grapes dominated the aroma with hints of spices (allspice), saffron, light herbs and alcohol. The tastes were fairly simple, flavors of honey, and alcohol hit you first, then sweet malts, followed by some dark fruit and apricot, and sweet grapes, then as it left my mouth hints of saffron and wine were left. The aftertaste was fairly faint, mostly sweet honey and wine. The body was medium. Once warm it became thicker, creamier and slightly sweeter in the mouth. A pleasure to drink and would drink again on a cool night. Enjoyable served cold and a punch as it warmed, which I enjoyed. Better to let it warm a few degrees.

Jarod, Jan 21, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance – The body is a thick, hazy, deep orange in color. There’s no head to speak of, which is common among this brewery’s heavy hitters.

Smell – This one had a big aroma indeed. The smell of rich, buttery, chardonnay kicks out right away followed by the honey and saffron promised on the label (I wouldn’t call it “muscat”). There’s some dark spicing in here too such as white pepper and allspice.

Taste – The honey comes out more at the taste, but the biggest flavor is the malty white wine. This is a big brew, and the sharp alcohol notes warn the drinker to keep things slow.

Mouthfeel – Fairly flat and medium-bodied. The flavors are so sharp it kicks the saliva glands into high gear.

Drinkability – Plan on drinking this just as you would a bottle of white wine and you’ll be fine. Pour it in a tulip glass, don’t let it warm, and drink it with fish or chicken or something light.

RoyalT, Jan 20, 2004
3.28/5  rDev -12.1%

Wow, this is indeed an interesting cat. Smells very sweet from the get go, and proves it on 1st taste.

It pours a meduim honey color, with some head and nice lace.

Thick mouthfeel, you could prob only go through 4 or so a night.

I would say the overwheling flavor is grapes mixed with honey, and one does not over whelm the other. The alcholol is slightly noticeable, not over shadowing anything, but you can feel it there on every sip. As I drink these dow, there is another flavor present. I cannot nail it down for certian, it is sweet and spice, but I cannot nail it down.

This is all over the place when you go through it, for me, it is rather hard to really narrow down for a review. While I would not have this all the time, it is def worth trying, and enjoying. Cheers!

PSUDREW, Jan 17, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz bottle with freshness date on label. Reviewing a DFH is never boring, and this one is no exception. Pours a slightly hazy honey amber. No head worth noting, even with an aggressive pour. Label says it contains barley, honey, white muscat grapes, and saffron. Aroma is, of course, complex and confusing. Honey, grapes, vague spices, and many other fruits to confound the nose. Mouthfeel is thick and somewhat vinous. Taste is fruity sweetness upfront, with apples, apricots, and grapes. Sweet caramel and honey also jump into the deluge. Spiciness, alcohol, and a touch of floral hops provide the balance. Surprisingly drinkable for a big beer. I am really developing a fondness and appreciation for DFH, for their bold endeavors in experimental brews and pushing the envelope. This one is, definitely, worth trying.

merlin48, Jan 13, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

Sampled from a 750mL bottle. The label was fairly damage, due to my own fault, so I couldn't tell if there were any dates, or bottling information. There was information about the finding of the tomb and how the recipe was re-created.

Appearance: This is the only area were this beer falls short. The appearance is somewhere between white grape juice, wine, and mead with color and characteristics of them all. A light, white, honey mead color with almost a complete lack of head and lacing. Light streams of carbonation.

Smell: Amazingly complex and ever changing. Like a mad ballroom dance where partners are changing so quickly you can barely tell them apart, but with such precision and grace that truly beguiles your senses. A graceful dance of malted barley, sweet grapes, wild flower honey, and an unfamiliar spice that I can only assume is saffron. I have had saffron before, however it has been a while, and I never concentrated on the scent.

Taste: Just as complex and an even more fluid dance. Sweet barley blends with honey which mingles with muscat grapes, then suddenly saffron cuts in, only to step out as quickly as it cut in. A wonderful balance of sweet and spice. Not a hot spice, but a mild curry like saffron that tingles and delights the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Solid, but neither overwhelming or flat. Very consistant.

Drinkability: Very good for this truly remarkable beverage. Not an everyday beer, but great for a special treat.

Loki, Jan 13, 2004

Appropriately honey colored with virtually no head (and what little did bubble forth dissipated quickly), Midas Touch smells strongly of raw honey and flowers. The taste is incredibly sweet, with honey and grapes dominating the flavor, as well as flowery esters poking through with a soft barley backbone.

After one taste, I was repulsed, but the initial shock faded and I grew to really appreciate this beer. It has almost as much in common with wine as it does beer from a flavor standpoint, though it has a firmer body from the barley.

Midas Touch is very different and a touch strange, but I like it. It's a lot like a mead, with the important distinction that I can actually drink this. Midas would be an excellent dessert brew, used similarly to a sweet, full-bodied dessert wine. Definitely worth a try, though I'm sure not everyone will like it.

RockyTopHeel, Jan 11, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Nothing visual to mention. No head but plenty of pop.
Bathroom botanicals emanate from the glass. Is that sandalwood? It's funny, I like to compare warm Duvel to Moscato d'Asti. This tastes like oxidized, weathered Muscatelle or Muscadine. Very fruity and very beery, like unfinished wine. Drifting impressions of honey and caramel and tangerine mingle in a medium of soda water. Don't get me wrong, this is a dry beer. It is made from good ingredients.
I think the recipe needs some work.

putnam, Dec 19, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured a dark honey color with no noticeable head. Plenty of effervescence, though. The smell is flowery, cidery, and it makes for no misgivings about its potency. Bit of earthiness to it, very pleasant. The taste is a vertiable explosion on the pallate - very complex. Sweet honey, herbal notes, almost a trappist-like dark fruitiness, but sweeter. Exceptionally tasty. Mouthfeel is very sweet, and the carbonation level is very very fine. Very tasty beverage, and a welcome change.

jlervine, Dec 17, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +23.3%

I've been waiting to review this one. Paid $4.99 for a single! Must be the saffron.

Looks great in the glass. Wish I had gotten out a goblet. Smells of grapes (maybe just a hint of sourness), some fruity resinish esters in there too. Nice scent - strange for a beer.

The taste is kind of indescribable. Just what the label says: a mix of beer, white grapes, honey and saffron. DFH pulls it off here very well. The malt and alcohol hit you first, but the aftertastes of spice (I assume is saffron as I have no idea what saffron is supposed to taste like) and honey-sweetness are exquisite. The mead blends into a sweet white wine flavor at the end.

Midas Touch will probably not please the hardcore beer traditionalist - a group to which I do not belong. But what from DFH will? Personally, I LOVE this stuff. You should drop the $5 for this brew just to experience the incredible tastes that this one offers.

benmiliron, Dec 13, 2003
1.98/5  rDev -46.9%

No head and honey color body with no bubbles.
Smells like middle eastern food.
foul bitterness and vineyard taste. mumbled expression, cannot pick out the grapes or the malt or the saffron.
light amount of bubbles Alcohol is much to apparent.
drank one fifth a 375 ml bottle and threw the rest out.

This does not even make it as a novelty beer, best to avoided at all costs.

Naerhu, Dec 13, 2003
3.88/5  rDev +4%

12 oz. bottle
I remember reading some time ago that a brewery was going to recreate an ancient egyptian recipe discovered by tomb raiders... shoulda figured it would be DFH.
Appearance: Slightly hazy, light amber pour. Tightlt bubbled fizzy orange-white head fades very quickly leaving little or no lace
Smell: Complex, as you might gather from the label. Bready, sweet caramel malt shaded with an interesting grape foxiness. Herbal spiciness with an additional dark/dried fruit sweetness.
Taste: Reminds me of a malty carbonated ice wine.... even meade.
I like it, but I'm not convinced it's beer. Very sweet scotch-ale style malt with evident honey. No real bitter element to cut the sweetness. Finishes like a cider.
Mouthfeel: Very full, almost heavy malt. Low carbonation level. Alcohol is too big to stay in the background!
Drinkability: An interesting experiment. Availability in 12 oz bottles (I was lucky to be able to get a single) should help get this one tried. ABV & sweetness limit prolonged consumption. Great conversation piece or gift for an archeology buff.

DagFishHead, Dec 07, 2003
3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a clear golden color with orange hues. White head forms quickly, but doesn't stick around. Mostly white grapes with honey thrown in. You almost forget this is even a beer. There is so much flavor in here that suggests mead or white wine. A lot of sweetness. Overall, it was enjoyable and a good cross-over beverage for wine drinkers, but not something I would make a habit of drinking.

dmarch, Nov 29, 2003
3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Very excited to try this one. I was told it would be interesting at the store when I selected it.
I have a 12 oz bottle and have poured it into a glass goblet I recently picked up. The color is a pale, clear orange. Even some shades of pink like a blush wine. The aroma is also similar to a blush wine. Definite smell of alcohol present. Reminds me of college days buying box wines. The head was a challenge to try and build, it came up bright white and dissipated very quickly.
The carbonation is Very low and the beer tastes similar to a wine probably the grapes in the brew. Strong alcohol warming on the swallow is present. This beer is very winey in all characteristics. Very little if any hop or malt flavors present. Dominated by the off sweetness provided by the grapes. This reminds me of the post about "when is beer not beer anymore" It is exactly this kind of experimental fringe brew that I love to have around in the world of brewing. In my opinion DFH is the best US brewery pushing beer thresholds right now, and I really dig almost all of their beers.
Back to the beer. The bottle says 9% and it is right there smacking you inthe face. No sneaky drunkeness here. The brew is rather thin and very easily drinkable, if you dont mind sweet liquids.
The man at the beer store was correct, this is a rather interesting brew. If you are expecting a typical malty or hoppy beer this is not for you. But if you enjoy trying every beer you can get your hands on grab one of these. Just try one though, it is very possible that you wont like this one.

sulldaddy, Nov 29, 2003
3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

First, let me say that I'm very glad they made this beer. Despite its steep price (I bought only two bottles for 6 bucks), it was worth the price to try. Although, I think this should be more of a homebrew experiment instead of a product you buy too often.

Barely any head to speak of. Good taste up front, but it is too sweet (fruity?). It really lowers its drinkability. But then again, I'm not sure what I was expecting. I would definitely try this again, and I would recommend getting it again. Avoid the expensive 4-pack and try to but this one at a time. There is a high liklihood you won't like this. But you will definitely find this interesting.

GeoffFromSJ, Nov 22, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +8%

Poured a hazy gold with a weakling of a head that jumped ship pretty early in the game. You can tell you're drinking a Dogfish Head beer when the carbonation bubbles struggle to get to the top... They really like their beers thick, those people...

The first sip was an explosion of flavor with a very earthy characteristic in the foreground. Once it mellowed out, it became very sweet and fruity--you can certainly taste the wine grapes. I'm just mad about Saffron; Saffron's mad about me... I just wish I knew what Saffron tasted like so I could single it out in this brew.

In the end, I see this as a good offering from this brewery. I don't know that they should be charging $10/four pack for it, but it's good, and I'm glad I picked up a single.

86MonteSS, Nov 19, 2003
4.78/5  rDev +28.2%

Midas Touch is wonderful! I love the idea that they got the recipe from King Midas' tomb, it was a great move for history and beer. The color is great, being a dark orange or red-amber color, and I just have to smile when I start pouring. I'm a sucker for sweetness, and this is sweet! The taste isn't sickeningly sweet, though, tasting a lot like spiced wine mixed with beer. Strong and thick, it makes me feel nice and warm inside!

erica, Nov 08, 2003
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Midas Touch pours with a deep amber/orange color with small head that dissipates soon after being poured. Midas is extremely sweet with prounced tastes of grapes and honey with an aftertaste of spiced apples, very similar to a hard cider. A very enjoyable drink especially after learning the fabled origin of the beer. Congrats to Dogfish Head for taking the chance and brewing something so unique.

NickLovesBeer, Oct 29, 2003
3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

A very interesting experiment beer that caught me by surprise. It is pricey in 4-packs and our local outlet had a special deal today to let us buy single bottles at the pack price. I had heard some good things from a couple who tasted it so I thought I'd give it a try, not having looked at the label and read the brew notes.

It pours a nice hazy copper with virtually no head and very little lace. The nose is light but reminds of the residual when grapes are pressed to get the juice. The flavor astounds with a thick vinous sense laden with fruitiness and hints of spice. There is a very strong alcohol sense and this also adds to the warming sense of this special brew.

The feel is full, creamy and a bit syrupy. The finish is a bit surprising in that this is drier than I expected from the intial tastes. Not a beer that you'd drink often or have multiples bottles of, this is more of a complement to special meals, rather like wine. A good brew for occasions.

AtLagerHeads, Oct 25, 2003
2.68/5  rDev -28.2%

This was not one of my favorite beers the flavors just never melded correctly leaving some sensations overpowering and the rest bouncing off the walls like a bunch of ADD 6 year olds. Poured a extremly clear amber color. The clarity cannot be understated. There was a weak white head on top, but a fair bit of lacing here and there. Smell was overpoweringly alcoholic with huge notes of sweetness. I was already not looking forward to this. The taste was so cloying it made my mouth pucker, kinda like when you add waaay too much lemonade mix to a glass of water. I felt like I was a honey bee od'ing on sweetness. More alcohol that became rather raw further down the glass.

I respect Dogfish Head for making this beer and trying something completely different. However, somewhere from King Midas to the 21st century something much have been lost in the translation.

GreatPondBrewer, Oct 24, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours with quick fizzle of head maybe lasts 10 seconds and is a dark yellow color with a cloudy haze. Smells of fresh grapes and alcohol with a tad bit of grain coming to the nose. Tasted initially of grape juice that had been watered down. A slight bit of malts accompanied by floral flavors show threw in a somewhat thin mouthful. No real bitterness comes across the palate but it is not cloyingly sweet. Interesting to say the least and is quite good.

leeenglewood, Oct 09, 2003