Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a lightly hazy pale gold. 1/4 inch cream colored head that quickly dissipates. No lacing to speak of. Smells strongly of honey. Grapey as well. Sweet and sweet spice aromas.

Lots of caramel and sticky vinous flavors. Raisin and honey. Grapes and sweet spice. Finish is very sticky. Carmelized sweet raisin lingers. Lots of honey. Did I mention the mouth was sticky? Lots of big flavors, not alot of meshing of those flavors, they seem to battle each other. Not that drinkable. An interesting beer and one you should probably experience once. And once was enough for me.

ViveLaChouffe, Jun 12, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

Trust the Midas Touch. Pours a lighter amber color with good clarity. The head was ok with tight white bubbles. It quickly dissipates to the edge of the glass but never really goes away. The smell has a noticeable malty aroma. Some caramel but mostly malty center. Some phenols and a tad yeasty notes but a much lighter presence.

The taste has a big malt presence. A good dexterous taste with a bready flavor to it. Caramel flavors and a touch of toasty notes are picked up on the background. Very little to not hop taste with a somewhat sugary taste, similar to juice in a way. Some phenolic tastes but is heightened with no bitterness.

The body is big and makes this beer unique. Almost like a dopplebock without the yeasty notes. I think this is as good as an example of a malt bomb as there is.

Oxymoron, Jun 11, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

A- Poured a deep golden color with no head at all.

S- Beer had a sweet honey aroma with some fruit prescence, almost mead like.

T&M-Nice balance of malt and honey with a tart winey dryness almost like a pinoit. Very nice sparkling feeling.

D- I really enjoyed this beer and will be picking up another 4 pack this week.

BRoss242, Jun 11, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

I picked this one up at a whopping 12+ dollars for a four-pack. I bet that's because of the saffron...

In any case, the beer in itself isn't quite worth the price. It pours a hazy copper color but with almost no head to speak of, which I found interesting. Bear in mind, I started drinking this beer the day I got it, but I plan on cellaring at least one of the four that I purchased (along with a Weyerbacher Merry Monks I got a few weeks ago).

The taste is sweet and smooth and the mouthfeel is thin but textured. I know saffron is an expensive spice that "goes a long way" which makes it similar to, in my opinion, a "spice" that our good friends Cheech and/or Chong used to entertain us with. Regardless, this is a very smooth beer.

I may not be an afficionado quite yet, and I've always loved Dogfish Head's unique brews, but this is something different, and for that alone I would impore any of you to seek it out and, particularly if it's offered at the bar, to drop the asking price.

I just wish it had more "substance." Particularly in the case of the lack of foamy head; I poured it like I pour all of my beers and this one just didn't foam up. Otherwise, that's my only complaint. Nice job DFH!

KFaulkner, Jun 10, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Had this one in the cellar since last fall (probably september/october): Pours a hazy, burnished golde with a thin biege head that doesnt stick around. The aroma has notes of honey, fruits (pear, apple, white grape), along with some saffron, toasted bread and a touch of alcohol. The flavor is similar to the aroma, with a honey sweetness, along with some fruits (pear, apple, white grape), slight hints of saffron, and toasted bread. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with little carbonation; drinkabilty is good and the alcohol has mellowed. This beer has lost some of it's initial complexity while the alcohol has mellowed, a good and interesting beer but probably not one to cellar.

silver0rlead, Jun 09, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

12 ounce bottle shared with a fellow homebrewer.

The "elixir" poured a peach iced tea color -- brown and orange -- but clear. A small head that does not last too long.

Aroma is one of honey and white grapes...I had to look up saffron on the web so I would know what to look for. Once I was given the facts on saffron, I could pick that up, too.

Taste is really complex. More of a mead type of drink than a beer. Honey and grapes, again, are the most noticable.

The uniqueness is appealing. This is an enjoyable "and now for something different" kind of beer.

ncbrewerbun, Jun 07, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

This beer is extremely well layered. The hints of dry honey up front, strong grape essences in the middle. Touches of saffron in the finish. This is a classic example of what beer used to be before the advent of hops. All the the ingredients used to make this used to be the domain of kings. It's regal and complex.

It is a very rich, thick brew with a decent amount of carbonation. The aromas are just as complex as the flavors, I definately picked out the honey and white grapes.

tozerm, Jun 04, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Light orange color. Mild aroma of saffron and sweet muscat grapes, with hints of honey layered fruits and booze. Flavor is really unique and hard to describe, strange, but really nicely balanced and quite tasty as well. Rich body, heavy, but not creamy. Hint of caramel and toffee, muscat grapes and saffron, with a definately herbaceous tone. Light notes of vanilla and honey on the finish.

Crosling, May 28, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

Got this beer by courtesy of Steve (Houston-based BA Xadoor). No freshness info. printed on the bottle, served cool in a large Burgundy bulb wine glass.

A: dark orangey golden hue with superb clarity; no head and gently carbonated body.
S: a stinky edge of honey, slightly earthy hops, plus a spicy hint of late-harvest muscat grapes (as in oak-aged sweet muscat wine); followed by prunes+salty-sweet small, green nectarine+starfruits... a flow of alc. constantly sustains in the background, making an aroma more akin to sweet wine.
T: mead-winey, slightly syrupy and sweet sherry-like upfront; the thick texture has a mixed entry of sultanas, licorice, faintly cinnamon, and a little touch of new American white-oak barrels... oh yes, a little hint of chilli also sustains at the back, due to the saffrons I reckon? The warming and semi-thick aftertaste lingers very well, finished rather tangy, crisp and dryish-sweet, but more like a half-way house b/w barley wine and mead than anything else...
M&D: surprisingly refreshing on the mouthfeel, thanks to the subtly-carbonated body; the overall body is more than full yet the alc. hides pretty well behind the malty theme, but the structure is still simplistic. All in all, this is a barleywine-style beer IMO, a little too sweet for my taste, and I suppose some ageing might bring about an even more balanced performance(?). Still, this is a fine and rare "hybrid" beer I feel so lucky to have tasted--all credit goes to Steve!!

wl0307, May 25, 2006
3.73/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clear yellow, looking exactly like apple juice. A weak large-bubbled white head forms thinly, and disappears in seconds.

Smells of oranges, cloves, and cinnamon.

Taste is of raisins, rum, honey, and a hint of alcohol. Complex, smooth, and very intriguing. Completely surprised me based on my initial take.
Mouthfeel is prickly, tangy, and much, much bigger than the inital smell/sight would have you believe. Very tasty, but watch for that 9%!

waldowin, May 25, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours slightly hazy deep golden copper. A small white head fades to a ring and leaves good lace.
Honey and grape aroma with a little malt in there.
Definite grapes and honey. Alcohol shows through. What's Saffron... good flavor.
Medium to heavy. kind of syruppy, but a moderate carbonation helps it a bit.
I could have a few, but the flavor kind of builds up to be a little much. Still okay drinkability.

BeerRun13, May 24, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

I was excited to see this on tap considering I can't even find this in the bottle anywhere around here. Enjoyed at the Flying Saucer for full price.

This beer just looked pretty, a nice orangey amber mix with a solid but fleeting head. Served in a snifter I believe, or whatever the 90 Minute is usually served in. The smell is where things got rocky, as there was a very strong astringent alcohol/cleaning supply fume. This didn't really reflect on the taste, but the taste left me wondering. I see a lot of the reviews on here got very fruity, and I got some fruits in the end but not before some strange coffee bitterness followed by what seemed to be very sweet and SWIRLIN' belgian yeast. There is a definite alcohol chunkiness there, but that is welcomed as it rounds things out. This was a nice sipper which paired well with my comfortable chair (I swear) and this went down without a hitch. I might get it again sometime once I know more about the beer.

jwff, May 24, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours like a flat APA. Or--like a dark ice tea. Very orange. No head.

Very very sweet smell. Saffron and dark red wine. Lots of alcohol.

Tastes like getting run over by a sugar truck. Loads of fruit, alcohol, syrup, and spice, all spilling out on you in one big pile.

This is something else. Not bad, not at all, but too intense to really handle.

mynie, May 20, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Another very unique beer from Dogfish. Poured into a pint glass with a light airy head that quickly dissipated. It left a small foam ring around the rim of the glass. The color is a yellow and copper blend that is very crisp and clear.

The saffron aroma comes through very smoothely blended well with the grapes. The taste has a slightly bittersweet twinge to it. The balance of malts in hops is excellent.

I would say this is an eating beer though and would be great with a nice cheese and fruit platter.

custardcb, May 19, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

12oz bottle obtained via trade with chadbrew. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed an airy 3/4" white head over the crystal clear light golden brew. Head fades at a quick pace, with average lacing. Aroma is minimal, honey sweet with a touch of grapes. Taste is upfront pale malts, then the dry grape essence comes in, and lastly the alcohol kicks it up a notch, leaving a somewhat harsh aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a bit tough, due to the alcohol being so forward, and drinkability is limited by that and the fact that the syrupiness gets to grating after awhile. Another one of those interesting experiments, have to appreciate what they're trying to do, but I don't have to go there again...

ppoitras, May 18, 2006

Pours a beautiful clear golden color (another reason to refer to this beer as "liquid gold") with a minimal head that dissipates almost immediately. Aromas of honey, vinous alcohol and a myriad of spicy phenols - almost Belgian-like in complexity.

Taste: Wow. This is one layered beer. I can immediately taste the alcohol, which is followed by a tannic grape-like flavor. Then everything becomes blurred as the honey, spicy hops and the insanely complex yeast phenols/estery flavors merge for a sweet finish that leaves me wondering whether I just took a sip of beer, mead, wine or brandy.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy, low carbonation.

Drinkability: Not unless this is going with a meal, in which case it is awesome with honey-glazed salmon or hoison/honey/garlic pork.

A very special offering from DFH. Glad I was able to get some when it came to Houston this year. I see this as being a perennial favorite of mine.

beertastegood, May 17, 2006
2.03/5  rDev -45.6%

Poured from a 12 oz.bottle. Color is a medium yellow-gold, slight carbonation, and some head on pouring but quickly dissipated to nothing, which leads me to believe that what I saw was just aeration from a vigorous pour. This looks not unlike white wine.

Smell - Bready malt. Competing with the malt was an apple juice odor and diacteyl. Some strong alcohol, also.

Taste - bready malt, that quickly gives way to apple juice and diacetyl. And an almost overpowering astringent alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel - thin, fluid, no carbonation.

Drinkability - goes down like cheap white wine, that is, it's too sweet and the alcohol taste is too strong. I was interested in this as an interserting experiment, but having had it, I would not ever get this again.

ultralarry2006, May 15, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -8%

I'm trying to review this fairly, but I really didn't like it that much. There's probably nothing technically wrong with it.. just not my thing.

Poured a dark honey-gold (bit yellowy) into a large wine glass. Almost no head, and no carbonation to speak of.

Aroma reminds me of sweet white wine. Grapes, honey, and something that seems almost 'beachy' or 'sandy'.

Taste is quite sweet and winey, with a lot of spices I can't really identify. Again, this reminds me of drinking... cheap... white wine. Apple cider flavours, and some saffron in there.

Grapey, alcoholey aftertaste. Not very drinkable -- wouldn't have more than one, and had trouble with that. Weird beer.

crwills, May 11, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Seemed to pour a bright golden color when it first came out of the bottle, but after finishing the pour it was more a clear light copper. Basically no head at all, and not even a trace of lacing.

Aroma is like a wine, you can definately detect a wine grape smell...also some honey, and spice notes. I had to go dig some saffron out of the pantry to see what it actually smelled like, but after sampling the spice, then the beer, there does seem to be some quite distinct saffron smells.

Taste is pretty complex. Wine grapes, honey, lots of saffron coming through. Some sweetness upfront, but this gives way to a mead or wine like taste. Finished up spicey, with a lot of saffron. A mild bitterness, along with a touch of an alcohol bite seems to come through in the finish.

Kind of a thick, syrupy mouthfeel....the carbonation gives it a champagne like feel. . Alcohol is hidden pretty well, but the warming affect slowly works itself into the picture. Interesting beer, and definately better as it gets warmer. There is so much going on, though, that one in a sitting is about all I'm good for.

briman, May 09, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured a single bottle into a tulip glass.

A golden elixir this was. Very gold in color, head was white and on the small side of mid-sized. The appearance, by far, was the best thing this beer had going for it.

Smelled floral and sweet. No hops whatsoever. I get some grapiness, but it's more like a general plantiness. I keep getting this old bandaid smell over and over again...yuck.

I took a sip and winced. It was pretty bad. I would almost say this is a fermentation gone wrong. Sickly sweet with little bitterness. I taste assloads of honey, but it's honey gone bad. The saffron surfaces and gives floralness that is the only thing that could possibly mitigate the other flavors. A yeasty funk in there too. On the plus side, all this does a reasonable job of hiding the booze.

Too slippery in the mouth, in spite of the proper carbonation. It seems to collect a syrup on the back of my mouth.

I could never drink this again and in fact, the only things keeping me for pouring this right now are a) the fact that I'm too cheap and b) the rapidly disappearing thought that I should pound it instead.

heyitsbyron, May 03, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear honey colored body with a modest head that declines to a ringlet and leaves the ocasional archipelago of lace

Smell: Unusual variety of smells - saffron stands out, followed by the muscat grapes and fermented honey; rather vinous and somewhat fusel

Taste: Starts with flavors of honey, pears and muscat grapes but definitely not sweet; after the swallow, spicy tones of saffron and allspice kick in, with increasing waves of layered bitterness on the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but the mouth feels more like wine that beer

Drinkability: Very unusual concoction, but I rather enjoyed it; not something to drink in quantity, but I am saving the rest of the bottle to complement tonight's curried roast pork with mango salsa

brentk56, Apr 29, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

I received this as a gift for designated driving a few Carolina Brewmasters to the Hickory Hops festival. This one was well worth it. Honestly, I cannot think of anything to make this one taste better. One of the most complex tasting beers I've ever tried -- spices, lots of honey at the end, fruit, a little hoppy. Just beautiful in a tulip shaped glass. I'm really falling in love with Dogfish Head.

Backer2004, Apr 27, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a clear light copper with a half inch of off-white head, shrinking to a thin glaze, ringed around glass, and lacing falling down the glass. Aroma, while not the most appealing, is a neat mix of unusual elements, such as honey, biscut, light fruits, grapes, and saffron, combining to give a decidedly mead-like quality to it. An A for effort.

The taste is much the same, only more pleasant. Starts with honey and light fruits, grapes with a spicy bitterness that grows into saffron and ends with a warm mead-like sweetness under a funny, bitter ending, like the saffron combing with an almost tannic quality.

Quite a complex beer here, with layers of easily identifiable strata, but still needing to be explored. Not a stand alone beer, I'd like to have this with a grilled salmon fillet or something. Good effort on a beer with tons of character

objectivemonkey, Apr 24, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

A most unique beer that you can read about here:

Part a spiced and herbed beer and partly an Archeology experiment this is really in its own classification.

Clingy powdery yeast in the bottom of the bottle that is pretty much impossible to pour without getting some in your glass no matter what you try to do.

Pours slightly cloudy cooper to apricot colored beer without much of a head.

Smell is sweet and very fruity to the nose. Somewhat spicy from mostly scents in the alcohol portion of the beer there is the slightly musty scent of the desert grapes and some faint flower and smoky scents left over from the honey. Saffron a spice I love is detectable as the spicy wet hay scent in this. After it warms up a bit there is a nice rum scent to this ale.

Taste is sweet and spicy and sharply dry from a woody bitterness in the first sip. Flavor is mix of sweet spiced mead and a dessert wine. Lots of levels of flavor here and you can easily pick out the components that went in to this beer particularly left over grape and honey flavors. Saffron is surprisingly easy to identify in this and makes me wonder if anyone has ever made a saffron mead? Surprisingly stingy on the tongue mostly from spice and alcohol.

Mouthfeel is good, but what are you really going to compare this to? It is good in my book for just not being awful or great.

Not a bad drinker and I would not have a problem drinking this again but how can you really judge a beer like this? This is an experiment of Archeology in a bottle and as such is a novelty that you won't be enjoying on a regular basis.

Sampled through dnrobert24 and 2MBBIF.

Zorro, Apr 20, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

A lovely golden color almost like a mead. Very little head no traces on lacing. Rich full nose of fig, honey, pear, apple, alcohol, and candied peach.

Big honey suckle component, hints of mellon, apple, some residual sugar, bosc pear, and fig, with some mellon undertones. Complex in nature but not necessarily in mouthfeel. Seems like it's missing some backbone. Still a very good beer.

Drinkability could be a factor because of the somewhat obscure finish. Leaves a gritty, dirty tannic taste in the mouth that is not so pleasant.

mcallister, Apr 16, 2006