Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

good

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,594 | Hads: 4,518

12 ounce bottle poured into Belgian style stemmed beer glass.
A: Pours a light golden hue, with a thin white head that soon dissipates, but little bubbles of carbonation still trail up where the dimple of the stem meets the bottom of the glass.
S: Subtle smells of honey and grapes--very fruity with a mild floral notes.
T: My first thought upon tasting this was, "Wow, this tastes a lot like mead," and then I got the white muscat grapes and saffron. The honey is definitely the dominant flavor, in my opinion. That being said, it tastes very balanced. I have no idea how ancient beer is supposed to taste, but I imagine this is pretty close.
M: Very smooth and light, as the mild carbonation gives the impression that they were really going for the ancient beer feel (back then the only carbonation came from fermentation).
O: I was very intrigued by this beer, and wanted to buy it for a long time, but found myself complacent with more contemporary beer styles, and seeing as this beer is near 14 bucks for a 4 pack I found it hard to justify the purchase. However, I am glad I purchased this beer, because it really feels like a timemachine in glass. It is hard to rate this beer, because considering the template they used to make it is archaic I don't really have a viable frame of reference. I saw other reviews lamenting about how it didn't meet their expectations, and how they would rather drink an IPA, but such a comment sounds ill-founded to me. In all honesty, this beer is simply a tribute to the history of beer, and if you can't appreciate it as that, and would rather judge it with a contemporary and biased perspective, then this beer obviously isn't for you. If you want to taste the diversity Dogfishhead has to offer, and their love for the craft and its history, then this beer is definitely for you. (1,830 characters)

From notes on 12/10/13

Pours an interesting pink color. No head. Carbonated more like a white wine. Interesting smell. Is much more reminiscent of a wine than beer. Little bit musty. Well, it doesn't really taste like wine. Very fruity, along with the sweetness of honey. Tastes more like a beer than wine. The mouth feel though, is again like wine. Most interesting "beer" I've had in a long time. Although I don’t think this is actually classified as a beer. Definitely never had anything like it before. (509 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from bottle to glass with very little and fine head. A rich, golden color, with very good clarity. This does not look or taste like a 2700 year old recipe at all. It's a bold, beautiful beer with hint of malt and white grape aroma and sweet honey taste. Dogfish head use a wonderful yeast that I have come to associate with a series of wonderful beers over the years and the Midas is no exception. Thanks to my friend who found this beer at a beer store and picked it up for me. (485 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Similar to a Japanese, but a deeper, fuller gold. Its a fairly clear color.
S: Smells like white grape juice and alcohol. It smells similar to white wine with less acidity.
T: Saffron, Barley and a slight alcohol base. The grape must really comes through brilliantly in this beer as it isn't too overpowering but adds a light fruity tone, similar to champagne.
M: Not super carbonated,but enough to make my mouth sting a bit. It isn't the most full beer, so it's safe to say it's a quite delicate beer.
O: An excellent beer that often gets overlooked as it isn't a hop filled or deep and dark full concoction. If you appreciate beer and have an open mind, this beer will fulfill your wants. A definite purchase for the occasional glass at $12.99 a 4 pack. (758 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle poured into glass. There is a thin white head. The appearance is golden, hazy yellow with visible carbonation bubbles. Very sweet and wonderful aroma on the nose. Honey and grab are prevalent. Very carbonated in the mouth. Sweet, can taste the honey and the grape followed by alcohol. Interesting and unique, quite tasty. (334 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Very translucent, especially for a 9% beer. Dark golden
S: Smells pretty alcoholic. I can't smell the saffron, but it smells like a wine or a barleywine beer
T: Does not taste as alcoholic as it smells. I can taste the saffron. Other tastes are white grapes, coriander and a decent amount of barley
M: Nicely carbonated, but I wish this beer was more unfiltered. Has a a more viscous consistency than the appearance gives off
O: A good beer, but nothing great. I appreciate the taste of saffron, but this beer was quite expensive for me ($5 for a 12 oz. bottle at my local bottle shop) and it was not as special as a lot of people make it out to be. Definitely worth trying, but nothing special besides its high alcohol content and its white grape based taste (762 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: bright golden yellow straw in color. quite transparent

S: very aromatic, filled with spices and honey infused fruit. Yeasty bread notes. quite enticing. definitely malt forward and the sliver of grapiness is definitely from the grapes.

T: pronounced sweetness and noticeable alcohol. The taste is definitely not the aroma and visa versa. Strange taste that so malty and honeyed its hard to imagine this beer making it on the open market but if anyone can pull this one off is Dogfishhead. Finish is grainy and slight grapey sweet.

M: Medium to full bodied with a slight oily texture and moderate carbonation. off dry finish

O: This beer is strange to say the least but nevertheless its extremely cool for the one of the most respected breweries to resurrect this ancient style. I drink this and daydream I'm king midas drinking with my many wives and not worrying bout much. This beer is hardly a considered a beer by today's standards and is more closely related to a mead or alcoholic concoction of some sort. love it all the same (1,039 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Considering the price I paid I was hoping for a beverage with "The Midas Touch". Instead I got something that was mediocre at best. Pours out a hazy yellow with a minimal head and very little retention. The smell actually reminded me of adjuncts, not malt or hops. The taste was even on the "hot" side, particularly after the beer warmed a bit and the mouth feel average at best with poor carbonation. Overall it was OK, but just marginally. I am sorry I bought a 4 pack and will be going back to 90 Minute IPA if I want something from DFH. This is not a beer that is worth 3+ bucks a bottle at retail. (602 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smells of white grapes and malt with a small amount of saffron to follow. Tasting it the grape is the strongest with hints of honey and saffron. The malt does come through after a few sips. After a while I feel as I have been drinking white wine as well. The finish is crisp and has a aftertaste of grapes. I would buy again. (325 characters)

Served from an ice cold bottle into a glass.

Appearance: Golden yellow with lots of carbonation bubbles. I gave it an aggressive pour and got no head. Bad beer bad, just joking.

Smell: Fresh, with citrus notes.

Taste; Again fresh with a hops bite and slightly bitter, very crisp and refreshing.

Mouth feel: Not thick, very light and refreshing, serve cold. Has a bit from the carbonation.

Overall: I love Dog fish Head and this brew is from the ancient Ale series my first one and i am very excited to try them all. i would recommend this brew and Dog fish head brewery, and since they were just on a recent Brew Dogs episode I am sure they are going to gain a lot more popularity. well done my friends. (712 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Light yellow-gold, no carbonation, only a ring of head. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a late-harvest white wine.

S: Honey, white grapes, a background of sweet barley. Far from a typical beer, but nice.

T: Grapes, honey, a little bit of a yeasty-chalky. It's good, decent finish.

M: Full bodied, a tad syrupy, but had a soft touch on the tongue still.

O: Unique, and a nice beer. Bonus points for the cool history which can't be quantified in the scores here. Lacking in a few areas, but I wouldn't mind another. (527 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle was poured into a tulip. Bottle date of 6/28/13.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pale orange with good clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Nice lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Honey sweetness, spice, alcohol, grapes, caramel, and some bready notes.

Taste: Sweet from the honey, spice, warm alcohol, safron, caramel, and toasted malts.

Mouthfeel: The sweetness seems to make this beer dry. Smooth, medium carbonation, medium to full bodied, and a little booze.

Overall: For being a year old, this beer held up well and tasted good. (646 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I really love this one! It is complex but simple enough to get the major notes of what the beer is going for. I get strong notes of honey and spice which lead into a dry, herbal finish. Its fresh and round with a great balance! I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys drinking chardonnay! (288 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pours a golden yellow. No head. Zero lace.

S: White grapes and honey. Wheat bread. Sweet wine.

T: Apricot. Grapes. Honey.

M: Medium body. Sweet dry finish.

O: Really unique beer. Drinks more like a wine or a mead than a beer. Glad I tried it but would probably pass on it in the future. (302 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - light golden body-red hue,short head half an inch, minimal carbonation

N - sweet bread-like aroma, very unique and enjoyable

M - very light

T - middle is sweet, flavor reminds me of wheat bread, smooth finish with slight bitterness

O - Very interesting and unique beer. I love the history aspect of trying to imagine what it was like to drink something similar to this 5000 years ago. Would definitely pick up again and recommend to anyone. (449 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-pours a fairly clear golden color with a small white head that leaves almost no lacing

S-I can smell grapes and barley. Very nice combo.

T-much like the smell it tastes of grape and barley. Like a wine flavored beer.

M-medium bodied smooth going down and dry aftertaste.

O-very good I really enjoyed it and would def have another. (339 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a golden-straw color with a thin white foam head that dissipates quickly. Poured aggressively. A thin ring of lacing remains around the edges. Lots of floaties in this one. Love it.

Aroma is yeast, lemon rind, and grape. Lots of earthy and grassy hops.

Tastes of strong honey and orange rind. Honey comes on very strong. The white grapes in the description are also readily apparent. Very carbonated. Reminds me of champagne. Has an extraordinarily sweet aftertaste, with some fruity notes left on the tongue. The alcohol is slightly noticeable. Honey definitely lingers on the tongue quite a bit. Quite a bit going on in the taste here.

Mouthfeel is quite crisp and refreshing, while at the same time a bit dry. Rather easy to drink for 9%. This would be good for a summer day that you're trying to get a good buzz on.

Overall, a very enjoyable beer. I know not everyone is crazy about the AA series, but I thing DFH did some cool things with the flavors of this beer. (979 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Surprisingly good. This is an odd beer that a person who doesn't like odd beer can probably enjoy.

Pours with below average head. Nice light golden color.

Smell is grapes with honey and flowers.

Tastes like fermented grapes with a nice light bouquet of flowers and some definite honey. Somewhat bizarre.

Overall this one of those strange beers new-age slash ancient beers which usually relegates it to the category of terrible, but Dogfish Head got this one right. (469 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Rich, golden amber with a short head that dies out quickly. Carbonation is retained at the top of the beer in the way you'd expect the bubbles to appear at the top of a jar of honey, which makes a lot of sense. It gives the impression that you're drinking a syrupy-sweet liquid.

S - Faint, for all its herbage. But sweet. And you can definitely smell the saffron.

T - The honey sticks out to you right away and the saffron grabs you on the way down. The aftertaste from this beer is grand, and probably the best part of the drinking experience with this brew. Muscat grapes are definitely tucked away in there. It'd be nice to get a tad more flavor out of those.

M - Despite its syrupy looks, this beer is light and flowing with light carbonation that doesn't stick around too long. It's honestly one of the best mouthfeels in a beer that I've ever had. This definitely adds to the drinkability of this beer.

O - I've got to say, I was really surprised by this beer. The spiced beer category is incredibly vast, and I have had almost nothing but bad experiences with spiced ales, but I was more than pleasantly surprised by this beer. If it has one downside, it is that it might almost be too rich for me to have more than one glass at a time. That said, it is not bad by any means, and I applaud Dogfish Head for creating something incredibly unique. Props. (1,366 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Date: 4/23/14
Location: Beer Necessities
Glassware: Tulip

Appearance: The beer pours an opaque amber with lightish red colors. Even with an aggressive pour I get minimal carbonation. There is a large viscous ring at the beers side. As you tilt the beer there is mild carbonation.
Aromatics: The Grape musk is where the beer starts and it's strong. Has the nose of Chardonnay alcohol to grape NyQuil. Good sent of spices. The saffron and something else.
Flavor: The beer is milder then wine but has a lot of complexity. Starts with ghetto grape again but there is a honeyed flavor that mellows the bitter grape. That's when the spices really start to play their part. The saffron returns as well as some spices I might get in all spice
Mouthfeel: The body is medium but the grapes leave a real buttering flavor in my mouth. (825 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

I love Dogfish Head's Ancient Ales program for many reasons. But the main one is that opening up a bottle of one of these brews is a way of trying to understand the tastes of civilizations past. This beer is, as much as it is asking you to evaluate it based on your contemporary tastes, try and imagine living in a world where while you knead your bread and prevent the swirling dust from getting into your eyes and the dough in your hands. It asks us to reevaluate our position and our expectations of a "beer" and of what we can enjoy and by what criteria. This beer may fall a bit flat to ordinary standard, but it's not an ordinary beer. (641 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice. Bottled on 12/30/13.

Appearance: Pours a bright straw golden orange with a lot of rising bubbles. About one finger of white head that fades into a thin creamy layer. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell: A sweet, fruity, and bready malt forward aroma with hints of honey and fruit. Pale malt with bready hints of biscuit, straw, grains, cracker, and yeast. Big hints of sweet honey, saffron, and sugar. Fruit hints of white grapes, orange, lemon, apple, melon, pineapple, and papaya. Also some spice hints of pepper. A very interesting and solid aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a sweet, fruity, bready, and fairly spicy malt forward taste with big notes of sweet honey and fruits. Upfront pale malt with bready notes of biscuit, cracker, straw, grains, and yeast. Sweet taste of honey along with some saffron and sugar. Fruit notes of white grape, lemon, orange, melon, apple, pineapple, and papaya. Spicy notes of pepper and slight clove. A very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. Sweet, creamy, juicy, and very smooth with very little alcohol heat. Finishes fairly dry.

Overall: A really good and interesting brew. Good fruit esters with a nice sweetness that is big but far from cloying. (1,283 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden amber.

S - Bready-honey-lagery.

T - Like a honey semi-sweet buttery bread. Honestly can't taste the wine grapes but maybe my palate isn't sophisticated enough.

M - Not much carbonation. Malty dryness mixed with the sweet. Not my favorite.

O - I wanted to love this beer. After reading "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" I was very happy to remember this beer by Dogfish head and get a chance to experience an old recipe. Honestly it underwhelmed me. I'm glad a tried it, though. Not something I would buy again considering the price, but I admire Dogfish Head for putting this out. (595 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lemon, honey color and transparent. Weak head with minimal lacing. Lots of white grapes in the aroma. Sweet and spicy at the same time. Dense malt flavor up front followed by white grapes. Hint of honey ads to the sweetness. Weak hop character, just a mild leaf quality. Medium to full bodied with a sugary texture. Decent carbonation. Overall,a little sweet for my taste but ok for something different. (403 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

After a long craft beer drought caused by the budgetary concerns of a recent college graduate I was relieved by a recent windfall which resulted in my acquisition of Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery. I found myself drawn to the concept, after weeks of consuming domestic beer the opportunity to enjoy a brew inspired by one of the earliest breweries had me excited.

After opening the bottle and pouring its contents into a pint glass I found myself intrigued by the amber hues with strong condensation and the thin white had that dissipated rapidly. The scent of honey and flower brought to mind a picture of the earliest sedentary societies and for a moment I envisioned what it would be like if I were to share this brew with them.

Following a toast to those who inspired this recipe I sipped the beer and found myself pleasantly surprised to taste a beer with an actual mouthfeel. While beer aficionados frequently laud those brews with a long mouth feel I tend to believe the abundance of carbonation precludes a mouthfeel on par with what a complex wine can offer. In contrast, this honey heavy concoction has a buttery quality that coats the mouth and makes it a great selection to pair with food. (1,212 characters)

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery