Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,468 | Reviews: 1,616
2.83/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured into a pint glass. My immediate impression is that this looks like soda. There's a lot of carbonation and the head looks like one you'd find on ginger ale. The color is a pale amber & is quite clear with lots of carbonation bubbles. The smell is almost caustic like solvent or a cleaning product, but beyond that is honey, grapes, & some spice. The taste is the most interesting part of this experience - sweet and spicy. It's nice, but nothing to write home about, reminiscent of a spiced wine spritzer. Mouthfeel is harsh due to the ABV and carbonation. I don't know if I could drink more than one of these - ever. If I caught it on tap, I might give it another shot. Recommendation to avoid.

2.82/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a light honey almost peach color with just a ring of bubbles around the surface. Hardly any carbonation. These don't osund like good attributes, but this manages to be very aesthetically pleasing. Smells like harsh alcohol, faint grapes, and almost malt liquorish. Sweet grape juice and residual honey is what I get most from the flavor. Not much saffron to note, really. Extremely sweet. Not really that interesting. Thick and slick mothfeel feels apropos for the honey sweetness. Decent flavors but lack of anything really interesting (from a beer with such an interesting concept) really don't make this very drinkable. Too syrupy sweet.

2.82/5  rDev -24.4%

Be warned: It's very sweet.

It smells rancid and doesn't taste much better, though the finish is solid.

I'm a big fan of the Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, 90 Minute IPA and Punkin Ale, but Midas Touch is a few tiers below those three for me.

It's cool that they resurrected something ancient that tastes like a lightly carbonated white wine. But I'm not sure why they've chosen to brew this year-round.

2.82/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured up golden in the glass with tons of bubbles, but only a thin head of foam.
Smelled of grain and grapes, slightly vinegar, and a touch of sweet fruit behind that.
Taste had just a touch of malt over the grape hints, honey was barely noticable, and no saffron. Very wine-like, somewhat tart and astringent. Not a very pleasant tasting beer.
Mouthfeel was very carbonated, tingly and thin to medium.
Not the worst beer to ever cross my lips, but for the price, I'll pass next time.

cheers...

2.8/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Midas touch pours a very clear amber color. Lacking ahead, yet carbonation is ample. Smell is pretty clean for the most part. Honey and the white muscat grapes being most prominent, with a sweet saffron aroma in the background.

Damn, this shit is crazy sweet. Almost like indulging yourself in a vat of honey. It's hard to even make out any flavors or subtleties, since the sweetness is way overpowering. (Just had thoughts about drain pour...) Anyways, the honey is very prominent, along with the sweet pale malt. This is just not my type of beer to be honest. Way to sugary tasting for my liking. Maybe this would appeal to women and wine drinkers?

A beer that falls way short of my usual high DFH expectations. I would definitely avoid this one, especially since it's rather expensive.

2.8/5  rDev -24.9%

Man, this beer is funky. It poured a golden amber color with little head. The smell is like a light beer. The taste reveals a touch of honey and there is also a slight bitterness. The mouthfeel is a funny bitter feel. Not a beer I think I will have again. This brewer is putting out some strange brews. This is one of the wilder ones. The alcohol is hidden pretty good.

2.8/5  rDev -24.9%

I know this is an historical/experimental beer and I probably should've been more careful when decanting-but the dregs clouded up the pour.

Off-gold appearance with thin head. (Lots of floaties as I mentioned). Smells of honey and grapes.

Sweet taste, a little cloying. White wine grapes and saffron present, some honey and heavy on the alcohol--a little bourbon taste on the finish.

Can't picture having more than one.

2.79/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

At first site with a nice somewhat strong head but later to be paired with a mediocure appearance overall, I expected more from midas touch. The first inhale was of a deep honey mixed with a little spice. I expected the barley to be one of the main features of this beer, but along the lines of the 3rd sip quickly realized this was a beer and white wine match made in heaven. From my personal beer preference it was flat out just too winey for my liking. A giant fan of dogfish at heart...but this one is definitely 60 & 90 minutes apart from the IPA.

2.78/5  rDev -25.5%

12 oz bottle stamped 12/01/10.

clear straw color, thin white head fades fast. sweet corn aroma. sorta like an adjunct lager. not a good aroma.

tastes sweet, can definitely pick up the white grapes and honey. a lingering aftertaste. too imbalanced.

medium carbonation, thin to medium body.

disappointed. I swear when I first tried this beer a few years ago that it was much better. odd, but all 4 bottles in this pack taste the same.

2.78/5  rDev -25.5%

Since I rated this “Handcrafted Ancient Ale” much lower than most others, I guess I must be missing something. So, on to the second evaluation:

Head from a vigorous pour is thick, creamy and whitish, and fades quickly. From a normal pour, there is practically no head at all. Color is a yellow golden-orange, no doubt from the saffron. If anything, the nose is unpleasant, reminiscent of a bad macro. There’s something else there, though, an underlying sweetness akin to honey with alcohol, presenting as a mead would. Still, it’s almost musty-smelling.

I really focused on the flavor this time around. It’s not quite so meadish, but the alcohol and honey are definitely there. It’s sweet but not incredibly so. There’s a spiciness I can’t place. That alcohol is definitely there and not as well-integrated as some I’ve tried. (Bornem Triple and Gulden Draak come to mind.) I don’t get the saffron/grapes/etc. flavors some are seeing. Just honey, sweet, and alcohol.Mouth is flat with an alcohol and yeast finish, much like a mead. There’s a metallic/yeast after that is not terribly pleasant.

Drinkability is not that great. First, it’s powerfully flavored and tends to overwhelm the taste buds. Second, it’s got twice the ABV of your garden-variety brew, so a couple go a long way.

Overall: Really, I call this a mead-style brew. They claim to use honey and Muscat grapes, so I guess that’s not surprising. However, I would enjoy a good honey mead more than this barley beer/mead concoction. Also, the price that I paid ($2.75 per bottle) is ridiculous. I think what kills it is the unmasked alcohol. It really detracts from what otherwise would be an intriguing style of beer. This is definitely an interesting and probably unique style of beer. I would recommend trying it once, but I won’t be trying it again.

Hey, I rated it even lower this time around. Ain't that a hoot.

2.76/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Very sweet, floral and boozy with a sticky, syrupy mouthfeel. More like a mead than a beer. Worth trying, but once was enough for me.

2.76/5  rDev -26%

poured from the 12 oz bottle into my new belgium goblet:

A: super clear, bright amber colored brew. aggresive pour yields a this wispy head that settles quick with nearly no lacing

S: not really liking this - I cant really get any hopiness out of this - citrusy I guess adulterated with other unknown flavors

T: to me this tastes lousy like a belgian ale. just dont like this a bit.
M: If you can seperate the nasty flavor I guess there's nothing wrong with the mouthfeel.

D: hard to finish this what with the lousy taste.
pity the ancients that had to drink this swill
I will finish in favor of the 9% ABV

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

12 oz Bottle poured into a 20 Firestone glass.Poured a golden color with one inch head.Smell is very sweet with a hint of grapefruit.Taste remained me of the time I drank mead.Very sweet.Once again this is one of those times where i can`t recommend this to a beer drinker because it`s more like a mead.It`s just to sweet for me.I have loved all the other Dogfish Head beers I have drank before but this one was not up to there standards.Motley out.

Bottled: 25OCT11

Pours golden with a transient finger of white foam. Excellent clarity. Smells like honey and grain with the slightest hint of white grape juice; sweet nose. Tastes of grain and....belgian yeast flavors. Some metallic and earthy flavors I can't quite put my finger on. Quite sweet flavor as well. Thin with lo carb and a semi dry finish.

Meh.

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Bright and gold. Clear, little head with large carbonation that quickly dissipated.

Smell: Not impressive. It smells like a glass of beer you pick up the day after a party and smell for no reason at all. Well, that smell and a hint of light fruitiness.

Taste: The aftertaste is the strongest positive of this beer; it's light, fruity and pleasant. The initial flavor seems too malty and bitter. The high ABV is apparent in the flavor, and the bitterness quickly leaves and there is a subtle introduction of grapes and sweetness. For a quick moment, you wonder if you just drank champagne.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant. Feels fresh and light. Unfortunately that's not a saving grace here.

Overall: I'm disappointed by this Dogfish, and I won't likely buy it again. It tastes pleasant for its ABV, but that's also not a saving grace for a beer. The fruitiness does not do enough for the bitterness and strong taste of alcohol.

2.74/5  rDev -26.5%

Clear orange with a substantial cap of white foam. Head fades rapidly and leaves just a touch of head. Aroma is sickly sweet with a spicy, herbal note. Flavor is sweet and all the ingredients make an appearance. Mouthfeel is good, but sadly the flavor is really unbearable. I really wanted to like this beer because the concept is beyond cool. Sadly it seems there is a reason the recipe was lost for thousands(?) of years.

2.73/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bought this on a whim as my wife was rushing me and I walked by the singles and grabbed it. $4 a bottle must be good right, ancient beer, who can go wrong. Well this beer did, if that's what you call it. The look was good but once on the nose I was a little disappointed. Then the taste, whoa. WTF, way busy taste of wine, honey and, like paste you ate in kindergarten. I've only poured a few beers out and was temped to pour this in the garden but was able to power through it as I didn't want the ants to enjoy this sweet $4 treat.

I only give it this score because i did drink it but glad I have an DIPA to wash this taste away quickly

2.73/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - Hazy golden orange with visible particulates. Medium head that is slow to form and quick to disappear.

Smell - Not very beer like. It smells a lot like a Reisling and not at all like a beer. Probably the muscat grapes. It smells like alcohol, but in a vinous way.

Taste - Bizarre is the first word that comes to mind. Initially it has a winy Reisling taste that is joined quickly by powerful honey flavor. It has the barley aftertaste I'd expect from a decent lager mixed with a strong honey flavor. All of the alcohol taste is meshed with the wine flavor. Very strange, but nice. I imagine this is what it would taste like to pour honey in Reisling and then wash it down with a light lager. The flavor is good but it gets old quickly. Long after you sip, the honey taste stays on your tongue lulling you back for another sip of the peculiar brew.

Mouthfeel - Thin and frothy. Not drying per se, but I wouldn't use the word "refreshing."

Drinkability - Ugh. After five sips I don't really want anymore. Granted if I wait two minutes the honey lingering on my tonuge make me sip again. I guess it might go with some food, but it's strange flavor would detract from whatever you are eating. I would like to taste it it again I suppose, but I would probably share with friends. It is difficult to drink even 12 oz of, but the curious flavor makes it worth a try, just expect the unexpected.

This "beer" is difficult to rate because it is so strange. Dogfish Head continues too impress me with their creativity though. Shame I can't make it to Bocce.

2.72/5  rDev -27.1%

Pours the color of a sunset with a small short-lived thin fizzy head. Lots of carbonation bubbles.
Smell is of alcohol and spice. Maybe some clove.
Woa! I can say that I have not had a beer like this and I can also say that I don't like this beer. Taste is buttery, bitter, medicinal, and metallic.
Mouthfeel is fair. Crisp. And I wouldn't consider this a drinkable beer.
I'm not saying that this is a bad beer. It's simply not my thing and maybe my palate is not adventurous enough to fully enjoy the Midas Touch.

2.72/5  rDev -27.1%

A-half finger quickly disappears but suds have legs like wine.  Golden butterscotch color.
S-fruit forward with hint of honey.
T-definite barley flavors...not as sweet as it smells.  Very wine like and lacks balance.
M-almost like a flat Proseco...slightly fizzy.
D-decent for the ABV but prefer a good white wine.
O-interesting beer that doesn't live up to the Dogfish stable of beers...give them props for trying something different.
O-C-

2.72/5  rDev -27.1%

A - Pours a nice honey golden color with a finger of off white head that leaves a nice lacing as consumed

S - Smells sweet of saffron and white muscadine wine. Almost a sour smell, which I like

T - Too much going on, tastes like white floral wine initially sweet but dry and more bland at the finish, especially considering the nose

M - Medium bodied, ok carbonation but the dryness makes the mouthfeel less than desirable

O - My girlfriend loves it, I don't. The best thing about this beer is that it weighs in at 9% and its very easy to drink, dryness aside

2.71/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

It looks like an ordinary lager, or even a pilsner--translucent throughout--a light, straw-colored ensemble with a brownish tint. A thin layer of carbonation never approaches foamy status. The dark tint provides some allure, but this is among the most common-looking DFH brews I've encountered.

I smell grapes and honey. It's like a sweet wine, slightly more grapes on the nose than honey. I wonder if it's the saffron that plays a hop-like balancing act. I can't say I detect barley with wafts, but I venture to guess that it provides the brown amid the honey yellow. Still, it smells more like a wine than a beer. I love how this brewery pushes the boundaries but, so far, I remain skeptical.

A nicely carbonated honey note followed by acidic, soury grape juice. Sweet honey certinaly pervades the palate. The white grapes juxtaposed against the honey make for an odd, uneven taste. It's like every sip tastes the same, but each part of my mouth senses something different about the beverage. I honestly can't decide if I like it. The sour presence diminishes appeal, despite the tingle of warm, carbonated honey. It's iike it's neat to see what the ancients enjoyed, but it's difficult for this one to compete with the peers of its day. I hate to be a hop monger, especially when experiencing an ancient-type herbal/spicy beer, but the white grapes need more substantive stand-up to sour. The sweetness suffices, but the saffron seems insufficient.

There's enough of a sweet honey smack to achieve a good mouthfeel. The sour is oddly more a taste on the tongue, while the sweetness is a sense on the cheeks and teeth. The carbonation seems right-on. Though "old" and "extreme" seldom go together, this recipe fits the bill. It's ancient and hopless, but one hell of an interesting concoction. Though this one is a relative disappointment by most ratings, the moutfeel, at least, is cool.

A drinkable beer has to taste better; it is, nevertheless, a beverage worth sampling.

2.71/5  rDev -27.3%

Shared 750ml bottle with fellow ba mtanji. poured a hazy amber color with almost no head. There was absolutely no smell. The taste pretty much mathced the smell because there was no taste either. Mouthfeel was of alcohol. I wonder if this bottle went bad

2.7/5  rDev -27.6%

This was not one of my favorite beers the flavors just never melded correctly leaving some sensations overpowering and the rest bouncing off the walls like a bunch of ADD 6 year olds. Poured a extremly clear amber color. The clarity cannot be understated. There was a weak white head on top, but a fair bit of lacing here and there. Smell was overpoweringly alcoholic with huge notes of sweetness. I was already not looking forward to this. The taste was so cloying it made my mouth pucker, kinda like when you add waaay too much lemonade mix to a glass of water. I felt like I was a honey bee od'ing on sweetness. More alcohol that became rather raw further down the glass.

I respect Dogfish Head for making this beer and trying something completely different. However, somewhere from King Midas to the 21st century something much have been lost in the translation.

2.7/5  rDev -27.6%

Bottled on 5/15/2009

A- Hazy, orange-ish hue with a small, quickly dissipating head.

S- The aroma was all malt and honey at first, but as it warmed I got some grape/wine-like aromas.

T- The taste was largely dry, bitter, and alcoholic for me. I didn't get much of the malt or honey that others have mentioned.

M- Pretty thin feeling, and pretty well carbonated, yet oily.

D- This is not really a beer for me at all. Way too dry. I really had to struggle to get through it with the alcohol presence and dryness.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery