Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
hoppymeal

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours straw gold in color, good haze of sediment, a small white head quickly dissipates to a ring. Very strong white grape aroma mixes with a little lemon, sweet honey and musk melon. Sweet honey taste up front mixes with a nice candy sugar and white grape flavor, white wine like with hints of a lemony grassy hoppiness as well. Mouthfeel is nice and fairly full from the sugary body and low carbonation. Very much like a lighter mead in some ways or like a sweet white wine, interesting for sure. This bottle is probably 2-3 years old and the beer is drinking quite nice and will possibly improve for a year or two more.

08-22-2007 02:26:02 | More by hoppymeal
TheMarkE

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

An ale made with honey, saffron, and muscat grapes? I wasn’t sure what to expect, but Dogfish Head is all about the quality so I had to try it. Malty at first, with a nice honey and grape aftertaste. The 9% ABV is well hidden by the complex flavors. Last Christmas I treated myself to a bottle of Samuel Adams Infinium, and this blows it away at a fraction of the price. Not for everybody, but the best marriage of wine and beer I've found.

01-11-2013 20:25:42 | More by TheMarkE
TheBrouMaster

Mississippi

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- This beer poured very smooth with a slight fizz. A healthy light golden color was seen with heavy sparkling carbonation within. The head shrank to a very small size soon after pouring but did not completely dissipate until the actual consuming of the beverage began.

S- The smell contained hints of several herbs and fruits.

T- This beer definitely has a hint of grape in it. The taste is very prominent.

M- Very nice mouthfeel.

O- Overall this is a great beer. I really loved the historical claim, whether its true or not. I will definitely be drinking this again.

01-06-2014 20:11:25 | More by TheBrouMaster
RoyalT

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance – The body is a thick, hazy, deep orange in color. There’s no head to speak of, which is common among this brewery’s heavy hitters.

Smell – This one had a big aroma indeed. The smell of rich, buttery, chardonnay kicks out right away followed by the honey and saffron promised on the label (I wouldn’t call it “muscat”). There’s some dark spicing in here too such as white pepper and allspice.

Taste – The honey comes out more at the taste, but the biggest flavor is the malty white wine. This is a big brew, and the sharp alcohol notes warn the drinker to keep things slow.

Mouthfeel – Fairly flat and medium-bodied. The flavors are so sharp it kicks the saliva glands into high gear.

Drinkability – Plan on drinking this just as you would a bottle of white wine and you’ll be fine. Pour it in a tulip glass, don’t let it warm, and drink it with fish or chicken or something light.

01-20-2004 02:35:17 | More by RoyalT
JasonA

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Appears and smells like nothing special or at least nothing like its cost ;). Not much if any head, small funnel of bubbles which is pretty to watch. Considering the style of beer, what does the color really tell us unless we see some floater ;). Light amber closing in on copper.

Taste takes me away. Light start with no bite. Smooth blend of spices and flavor that continues to build until swallow. For ABV of 9, very impressed with how the alcohol is masked.

Finish is very nice. Nothing too strong. VEry enjoybale, though not a choice I would buy for large consumption.

I wasnt sure what to expect for its style, but this beer left me very impressed. While I might not by another 4-fer, I would love to find this on draft somewhere as something to start my noght off with.

11-03-2006 00:04:41 | More by JasonA
lostandwandering

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from bottle into my newly aquired DFH Signature Glass.

A- Pours a golden brown with a single finger white head.

S- Don't get a whole lot from the smell, though it is slightly sweet like honey. Maybe a little malty.

T- Combination of a malty ale with some notes of the grapes and honey. Hardly any bitterness to this beer. Sweet but not overpoweringly so.

M- Light, but not thin. Well carbonated

O- One of my favorites from DFH. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a beer experience. Just wish it weren't as pricey as it is.

07-27-2011 01:53:31 | More by lostandwandering
nickthegun12

Alabama

very different ale...

the appearance is a strong golden color....with no head....and very little carbonation....

smells like a sweet smell...can't really describe it....different from any ale ive ever tried...

the taste....ah the alcohol....and sweetness...something funky goin on...ever so slightly bitter from the saffron...

the mouthfeel is very nice a smooth and silky feel...prob my fav thing about this ale...

the drinkability is nice....but i think the alcohol would catch up....

an ale made with saffron....who would do this?....only dogfish head

11-20-2010 23:46:29 | More by nickthegun12
Jon

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

From one of the now-rare 750 ml clear bottles, this pours a glowing apricot hue with a fairly frothy white head which retains much better than expected. Leaves patches of lace down the glass. The nose is of mild sweetness, fruit (notably the muscat grapes), honey, and alcohol. Very interesting. The taste is where this beer gets most interesting, as it's possible to detect every ingredient listed on the label. The main flavor here is upfront, sweet honey, followed by notes of graininess, wine-like muscat grapes, mild saffron, and an alcoholic finish. Sweetness dominates, however. Mellow carbonation gives way to a smooth, syrupy mouthfeel overall. Not an overly drinkable brew, but one I'll sample again. Seemingly, only Dogfish Head makes beverages like this. A classy effort.

08-14-2003 02:47:17 | More by Jon
russpowell

Oklahoma

Bottled on 03/15/07

Pours an effervescent bronze/honey with 1/2" of pearl colored head. near-zero retention & lacing

S: Apricot, honey & pineapples

T: Sweet honey, dates, pineapples, & some dryness up front. Slight smokeyness & caramel, appleskins as this warms. I start getting grapes/muscadines in the finish, along with warming booze & dryness. Reminds me of a low abv mead in many respects.

MF: Medium-bodied with minimal carbonation & lot of slickness

This would work well as in a dessert course, drinks good, but too far away from my likes to drink more than 2. Does hide the ABV well though

10-23-2007 03:15:24 | More by russpowell
ewright

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a DFH stemmed goblet, the beer is a brilliantly clear light gold color with a good inch of fluffy off-white head. Nice lacing is apparent as the head recedes; lots of very fine carbonation streams up from the bottom.

S: This is a strange one... for an ale, it smells surprisingly like a continental pilsner to me. There's a slightly sweet cereal aroma, but not much else readily apparent.

T: Clean and crisp up front (again, like a lager) with cereal grains dominating the taste, but definite grape and honey notes show up late. The beer is mostly cloyingly sweet, but something seems to give it just a slight bitter note in the end. The lack of significant alcohol burn makes this one drink like a beer 2-3% lower ABV.

M: I think we need to replace Miller High Life as the "Chapmagne of Beers"! This is a light bodied beer with fine effervescence and, despite the sweetness, a relatively smooth finish.

D: With no overpowering notes, this is a pretty easy drinking beer. Don't let the alcohol creep up on you. This one packs a 9% wallop, but it's not readily evident.

02-28-2009 01:40:34 | More by ewright
Stubbie1

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

This brew ours a deep golden honey with a quickly fading head. No lace, Aroma is of grapes and honey, I get more of a green grape juice sweetness to this than the honey. Saffron? couldn’t find it or anything that could be considered saffron. Taste is smooth, honey, green grapes and a touch of alcohol. Sticky on the lips and a bit warming in the belly. Be a good winter beer when the cold winds blow. For a high ABV I could enjoy a few of these to sip on while I’m lost in T.V land or just chillin……Tastey

09-24-2005 23:50:23 | More by Stubbie1
Chickenhawk9932

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

It is an orangish gold color with an off white foam. It is clear yet has many little floaters through out the glass that look like pulp - not unappetizing.

It smells of fresh fruit and sweet spice, different but appealing. An almost musty sweetness.

It feels wonderful in the mouth, the carbonation mutes a slight bitterness and brings the sweet spice to the forefront.

It taste full of mealy sweetness, a slightly bitter fruitness comes through at the end of a sip, then the spicey sweetness lingers luring one back. The fruits that come through are green melon and white grape.

07-25-2010 21:56:08 | More by Chickenhawk9932
wrb357

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

I've only tried three DFH brews: 90-minute IPA, the Festina Peche and now Midas Touch. When I first had 90-minute IPA back in college, I was blown away. I'd say it (and Arrogant Bastard) opened my eyes to what strong beers could be, so I have a lot to owe to DFH.

Flashforward some six years and I've tried the Festina Peche and was turned off by its tartness. I admire what they tried, but I didn't enjoy it. Now, I've finally decided to try a Midas Touch single from BevMo. It's supposed to be an old-world recipe of an "ancient ale". I like that they are trying to keep the old ways alive while trying new things.

Anyway, the beer looks nice. Sort of a copper color in my lighting, a thin head but lots of carbonation. It smells strong of the muscat grapes, with maybe a hint of honey. The taste starts off very honey sweet, then has the muscat grape tartness after it. It's a weird order; I figured the sweetness would come after.

It feels good in the mouth. Bubbly, tart (but not too tart) and sweet. It reminds me of a Belgian ale mixed with a honey beer or something. I can taste the spices in the aftertaste, and they're pleasing, but nothing spectacular.

The thing is, just for trying this beer, I enjoyed it. In fact, I'd say it's a good beer, and I feel like I'm reliving history. Yet, I couldn't see myself drinking this again. And if I had to have a 4-pack of it, I would have been upset. It's not a sessionable drink, it's not particularly amazing, and I couldn't picture a time or place outside of my room that I would like to drink it.

Still, I'm glad I tried it, and I recommend all beer drinkers to try it just to get a taste of the old world.

07-13-2011 04:03:38 | More by wrb357
MeadMardigan

Maryland

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

My introduction to alcohol came in my mid-twenties and through wine, as heretical as that may be to admit on this site, so I'm a late-comer to beer. I left both beer and wine for a considerable time to explore/abuse the fineries(ABV) of scotch, so when I came back to beer and wine, and found The Midas Touch, a marriage of both to some extent, I thought that I'd found perhaps the one beverage to satisfy both needs. Not quite, but very enjoyable just the same.

The alcohol is relatively high, but it certainly doesn't overwhelm the flavor spectrum, which is a well executed balance between the sweetness of a dry dessert wine, and the robust character of a refreshing ale. The safron is difficult to isolate on the tongue, as the beer is nowhere approaching bitter. Perhaps it simply looks good on an ingredient list. The carbonation is just right, and looks good in a glass. If you are in the mood for a beer, drink a traditional beer, as this is rightly considered a hybrid. If you are in the mood for a unique beer, and appreciate wine, then this may be for you.

I always enjoy drinking this beer, but would never spoil the experience by having two consecutively. Not because of the relatively high ABV, but simply because I don't think I would enjoy the unique flavor of the Midas Touch tripping on its own heels. Plus, the romance of drinking a beer of "antiquity" would certainly diminish if it became too familiar. As a tale, the Midas Touch is cautionary; so don't be too greedy: Enjoy, but one at a time.

08-06-2009 22:22:52 | More by MeadMardigan
mzwolinski

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

One of the goodies I dug up in a recent beerarchaeological exploration of Providence, RI. I didn't know quite what I was looking at when I found it, and had to return to the lab for closer analysis.

Examination of the bottle revealed a thin dusty coating, and some tearing at the corners of the (surprisingly modern-looking) label. This had gone undiscovered for a while.

Imagine my pleasant surprise when I discovered the vessel had an opening which, upon release, yielded something not entirely unlike beer!

It wasn't entirely *like* beer either, mind you. The liquid was a slightly hazed orange in color, with a very thin off white head. This had me fooled for a while, but the head soon dissipated into nothingness, and searched in vain for reinforcements from the scant carbonation.

The aroma was markedly different from most other samples of the sort: dominated by a honey sweetness with slight hints of grape lending a slight tang to the edges. Hmm... Dare I taste it?

Perhaps it was the largeish bottle, or the appearance of age playing tricks on my mind, but the first sip struck me as fairly...winey. The honey of the aroma was still present, as was the grape-skin, now lending a mild acidity to the finish. Alcohol is evidently present, albeit in apparently mild form, contributing some spicy esters at the finish.

The carbonation is felt more than it is seen, and helps to cut the sweetness of the "beer." The acidity of the grapes and the alcohol contribute to a fairly dry finish.

I ended the day quite pleased with my find. This was, I will admit, not the easiest thing in the world to drink 750 ml of by one's self. But no one ever said science was going to be easy...

07-24-2004 00:27:55 | More by mzwolinski
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

It's quite a neat drink-thing. It's somewhat mead-like, but more like a braggot with the carbonation and dainty head. Aromas are right on a chardonay with honey and sweet spices. Tastes also chardonay like with more sweetness, corriander, allspice, and some others that I can't describe. High alcohol boarders on phenolic. Quite perfumy and sweetly tart throughout. A well formed experiment. I like it, though only on occasions.

08-03-2005 13:10:55 | More by BEERchitect
zeledonia

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Enjoyed 2 July 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a medium golden straw yellow color, very clear, with just a thin cap of foam. Plenty of visible carbonation, but not much head or lacing.

Smell is dominated by sweet white grapes, with a bit of yeast in the background. The best comparison I can come up with is riesling. Smells like a yeasty, sweet white wine. Interesting.

Taste is similar to the smell, but with more depth. It's very front-heavy, with a whole rush of flavors that quickly fade away, leaving little behind, like a semi-dry white wine. White grapes and honey lead the way, with some grainy malts behind. Definitely unique. Little sign of alcohol, despite the relatively high ABV.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium-light body, feels much lighter than I'd expect. Carbonation is spot-on. Finish is quick, but then lasting, like a long right-tailed distribution.

A very interesting beer, and unlike any I've had before. Heavy on the white wine and the honey, but they're both in good balance with the other ingredients. I guess that's the impressive thing - that these unusual flavors can be so prominent, but not feel overwhelming or out-of-place. Tasty stuff.

08-02-2012 17:58:21 | More by zeledonia
TheLongBeachBum

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12 ouncer, just like the picture in the BA Database. Nice presentation, quality thick purple & light brown colored parchment for the neck & main labels, all sealed with a color coordinated DFH crown cap. Described as ‘Handcrafted Ancient Ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron”. Weighs in at 9% Alc. By Vol.

Appearance: Light orange copper body, which looks clear and hazy at the same time, all this is topped off with a thick cream colored bubbly and effervescent but broken head. Big halo head presence, smattered covering and minimal lacing, but this does have a great level of conditioning though.

Nose: Has a soft start but it soon kicks ass with some sharp spicy edges. This is one of those brews that where the Volatile Fermented Compounds (VFC’s as opposed to VOC’s) reigns terror in your nostrils as you drink it. Deep in the nose and the odors are soon accompanied by a feeling of inhaling petrol fumes. Alcohol and high end acidic white grape skins plunder the nasal passages. Light sniffs are a little more forgiving, soft honey, cereal, white wine, mead and industrial solvents…..did I just burn out my Septum!? A tad harsh.

Taste: Soft then hard; Candy sugars and lots of honey soaked malts are soon cut through by a vicious hard alcoholic and acidic cheap white wine feel. The honey returns to dissolve the harshness of the middle to finish once again with a soft ending. Saffron…..great name for a child, and it’s bloody awesome in Curries but I couldn’t find any in this brew, I guess it’s too just expensive to drop in by the bag huh!!? A beery version of "Sweet and Sour"...but it works.

Mouthfeel: Is there one? I already lost my Septum and right now I think my cheeks are dissolving. The low conditioning lends a smooth feel but it fails to balance the harshness that I suspect comes from the Muscat grapes.

Drinkability: Did I get a full 12 ounce!?!? It’s all gone!!! WTF!?

Overall: Different for sure. Rather weird in fact, yet strangely enticing. The best part about sinking this one….the ADB’s….the After Drink Burps; soft honey eschewed into a spicy white grape back of the throat tingle followed by a burning nose sensation……tasty stuff. Why did this taste so familiar?!….I cannot quite put my finger on it now but it reminded me of at least one other beer that I have had, I strongly suspect it was of US origin, but it could have been Belgian, Aaarrggghhh, it’s getting too late to think that hard, but it will come to me...worth trying.

Music: Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith

12-12-2005 07:04:19 | More by TheLongBeachBum
n00tz

Georgia

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Golden hue with supercharged carbonation and a thin white head, low head retention.

S - floral and herbal notes stand out, with sweet grape making it through to the nose as well. The Saffron is easily detected among the rest, adding a slight grassy scent to the bouquet of aromas.

T - Right off the bat the honey sweetness smacks your palate. The dryness of grape is hardly muffled by the earthy yeast that champions this "ancient ale". Many characteristics of this beer lend it to be a spiced barley mead in the beer family.

M - Light and smooth with a tickling champagne-like carbonation when it hits the tongue.

D - Between the florals in the smell and the dry grapes in the taste, it's not one I could drink one after another. That said, it's still a great brew and I'd enjoy having it each time a batch is made.

01-26-2011 23:12:00 | More by n00tz
gkunkle

Oregon

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a hazy Orange color with visible carbonation. It comes with a one finger white head that dissipates to a ring around my glass, no lacing is present. The smell is of grapes and an odd sweetness I can't pin down. Taste is less potent than I expected, up front I get that honey like sweetness, then the white wine flavor shows up in the middle of my tongue. Mouthfeel is medium, with average carbonation. I don't think i'll drink this often, but it was a fun beer to have. The taste is unique and I am impressed at how well it hides the high ABV.

05-14-2011 04:14:19 | More by gkunkle
Phocion

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a bright hazy gold with a rather unresilient foamy white head that drops quickly to a thin lacing.

Aroma is interesting. Champagne-like white grapes, sweet honey, and a light yeasty note. There's something else I cannot place, but that's probably the saffron, considering I have no idea what saffron smells like.

Honey and grapes are overpowering. Earthy/buttery malts, strongly spiced, and somewhat of a warming alcohol feel, though for the ABV the alcohol taste is pretty light.

Despite the excellent level of carbonation and the warm alcohol phenols, this is pretty thin-bodied, but very smooth and refreshing, even a bit silky. Average drinkability at best. Very unique beer and definitely worth trying, though there's nothing that particularly stands out about it.

11-25-2006 02:38:52 | More by Phocion
Pauly2X

Wisconsin

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

A- Bright gold very fizzy with a wispy head.

S- Smells of honey intermingled with grapes upon a solid but subtle malt backbone.

T- Very clean, all the flavors blend very well. A great hybrid of beer, wine, and mead flavors. A warming alcohol note is present but not over powering.

M- Very smooth considering the high level of carbonation.

D- For what it is, pretty drinkable.

Very unique, a must try for any beer geek.

07-28-2008 22:46:45 | More by Pauly2X
boudreaux

Alabama

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

A: pours a rich, clear, ruddy red-brown color; head is foamy and white, about 2 fingers thick and dissipating quickly; sits at about a 1/3 finger thickness with a decent amount of lacing

S: honey and spices are prevalent, mirroring the description of ancient beers mentioned on the beer label; saffron is here, as well as a heavy honey aroma

T: very comparable to the aromas; heavy honey sweetness and saffron spices mix well; a touch of bitterness also present, though i'm not sure where from, since no hops were used during the brewing process

M: smooth, medium body; coats the tongue well, but the bitter notes almost make this beer almost crisp and refreshing

D: smoothness allows this brew to go down easily; not too heavy; sweetness keeps it from being session-worthy, but overall a great beer to drink

02-26-2011 22:09:13 | More by boudreaux
elNopalero

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a clear golden color with some light foam. There’s an obvious grape aroma (muscat?) but also something more akin to champagne. Tastes light, more on the sweet side of things. Honestly, although this doesn’t sound flattering, it reminds me of sweet white grape juice. I don’t mean that in a negative way, it just has the similar flavor profile in my mind. Effervescent, nuanced, and enjoyable.

02-10-2012 20:06:10 | More by elNopalero
mjurney

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance:
Deep golden color, clear. Lots of nice fine bubbles. Creamy head, lacing looks awesome on the glass.

Smell:
Perfumy, hay, some touch of honey, I could smell a little grapes.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Malty up front, hay, sweet honey, touch of vanilla bean. Tart grape skin, golden raisin. Black pepper in the middle, a little warming. Smooth finish with semi sweet flowery aftertaste. Mouthfeel is kind of creamy. Carbonation is mild.

Drinkability:
Pretty good. It's a sipper.

09-06-2010 22:17:24 | More by mjurney