Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gold and hazy body. The head dissolves fast and leaves no trace.

Smells of white grapes, allspice, and honey.

The taste is sweet white grapes, like a reisling. Finishes with herbal notes and allspice.

Mouthfeel is sweet up front but finishes slightly dry. Body is medium to light with prickly carbonation.

It's an interesting beer to try once, but not something I'd want to drink more than one of. The spice thing is not my style.

Vonerichs, Sep 27, 2012
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours an amber color with a small white head. It smells sweet, like honey, grapes, and something I'm not exactly sure what, I assume that's the saffron. The taste is very sweet as well, like honey and grapes, and some other unfamiliar light spicy taste (like the smell, I assume it's the saffron like it says on the label). There's also some alcohol warming in the taste too. The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, with medium body. The drinkability is OK too, but one might be my limit at a time since it's very sweet. Overall this is a very unique beer. I still don't know what to make of it. I'd drink it again, but it's something I would have to be in the mood for, since I don't think this is a beer I could drink all the time.

bluejacket74, Nov 10, 2006
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. The beer pours a clear golden color, with a one-finger head that recedes pretty rapidly. Not much lacing to speak of, but there is a ring of large bubbles that clings to the edges of the glass. Very little carbonation is visible in the glass.

Smell: Definitely a fragrant beer. Very sweet and floral, with an almost mead-like quality to it. Grapes, hay, and some grainy malt are also present. I'm picking up some alcohol too, but it's not as pronounced as it could have been with an ABV of 9%.

Taste: Pretty sweet overall, and a lot of alcoholic heat. You can pick up some of the tannins from the grape skins and lots of spiciness throughout. The finish is pretty darn dry, and for some reason, makes me really thirsty! It almost has sort of a hard cider thing going on.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied, low carbonation, and a dry finish. Pretty sweet flavor that seems to grow in intensity as you drink.

Drinkability: A very unique brew to say the least. I like the concept and the experimentation, but I'm not sure this would be in my regular drink rotation.

BuckyFresh, Nov 18, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tall thin glass.

Pours with two fingers of white fluffy head over a luminescent gold crystal clear body. Great lacing. An astounding amount of small and medium bubbles are rising to replenish the head. Wonderful showing. If ever a beer looked like a golden elixir this is it. Just fantastic bubbles and color. Maybe the Saffron aided in this beautiful gold?

Has the nose of an imperial pilsner, with noble hop twang and lots of singular clean malts. Subtle notes of vanilla, but nothing that indicates this is a herbed/spiced beer. If I had not seen the bottle I would be thinking at this point that this was a pilsner or imperial lager.

Upon first taste I get something very much like a imperial pilsner with honey added. Tastes sweeter than almost any non-fruit beer I have ever had. Mingling with this honey-sweet is some noticeable alcohol, but it is just hidden enough to not detract. This could be even better if it were either lower ABV or the alcohol was more hidden. Never too sweet, which is an accomplishment because this is pretty sweet and sugary.

Feels distinctly of honey in the aftertaste. I can not liken it to anything but honey, and if you have never eaten straight honey before you should so that you know what I am talking about. Interesting. Otherwise this is a medium bodied beer with a fine texture and pleasing washing affect.

Good drinkability as it is, but could be amazing if it were lower ABV or the alcohol was more hidden.

Conslusion: An interesting beer for sure, and not a bad one at that. I can find no fault except the higher ABV, but as this may be a bonus to some, I will not detract any points for it. I don't taste the other ingredients listed on the label, only honey. I do taste something else I think, but I can't put a finger on it. Good job once again Dogfish Head...

allforbetterbeer, Sep 29, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

From a 12oz bottle into a ~20oz glass goblet.
The liquor is a hazy golden yellow. The head formed an initial half inch and was stringy on the sides for the rest of the drinking.
The smell was strongly wine (How do I rate that?)
The taste was smooth, alcohol was present and had a bitter "falling" aftertaste. I tasted the grapes and the barley and the honey made this a sweet one, though balanced well with the sour/bitter grapes.
The mouthfeel was average, not very thick, not very thin.
I dont think its a very drinkable beer, maybe two in a night, maybe. Though still a decent offering from DFH. Not something I see being a hit, though I dont think it was meant for that either.

CJohn, Sep 17, 2008
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: lightly hazy medium gold body with a very thin layer of ivory foam. There appear to be a ton of really tiny floaties in this brew, but considering what the brewery was going for here, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Smell: light malt aroma with an extremely floral (think floral gum candy) and somewhat fruity nose; I can easily see the comparison to be made with a mead or a Gewüztraminer or something. Usually, this is not my thing, but I'm kind of loving this.

Taste: more of the same as the aroma. Frankly, I prefer this combination of notes as an aroma than as a flavor. This is extremely sweet and would probably serve well as a dessert beer. It's just not my thing as a good ol' drinkin' beer, though.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent level of carbonation. There is a certain amount of stickiness due to the sweet. Overall, not bad, but not my favorite.

Drinkability: well, it is tasty, but more of a small-quantity drink for me. I will note that the alcohol is entirely masked in the flavor, but the warmth and strength really start to hit me as I pass the half-way mark. Not bad; I think I would enjoy this beer again in a few months or a year: it's tasty, but not an everyday brew.

flagmantho, Jul 28, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

A - A respectable initial head that quickly dissipates. Unique honey orange appearance.

S - A sense of honey comes through with underlying aromas of citrus and bananas.

T - Initial fullness of flavor with fruity tones and underlying sweetness. Taste quickly fades in this interesting, but somewhat unbalanced brew. Reminded somewhat of Kolsch.

M - The higher than average alcohol content isn't noticeable in the easy drinkability of this brew. Light carbonation enhances Midas' unique dimensions.

O - This one stands alone as a unique beverage. I'm all for experiments along the lines of this one. Don't expect I'll be coming back to this one but glad to have met it along my tasting journey.

artdob, Dec 29, 2010
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very excited as this is my first Dogfish Head beer! (I live in Iowa so there's little opportunity to get it unless I have an awesome roommate that grabs it for me from Chicago...thanks Bruce)

A - pours a deep honey-golden color with slight red and orange highlights. Thin head that disappears almost immediately.

S - Sweet! Has a wine-like character but is more similar to welch's grape juice. Slight hint of toasty malt. Another aroma there that I can't quite put my finger on (it may be the saffron, but I'm not that familiar with the spice). Alcohol becomes more noticeable with warming.

T - Hugely malty and sticky sweet with a subtle acidic tang. Grapes again grab me up front with a big biscuity malt body that follows right behind. I'm trying hard to notice any hint of the saffron, but I can't pick it out.

M - Pretty viscous and the malt/honey/grape juice backbone provides for a sticky mouthfeel after each sip.

rundocrun, Apr 26, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Pours a bright yellow color with a small white foam head that dissipates to a film. There is not much in the way of lacing. There is a lot of noticeable carbonation.

S: The smell is really faint even as it warms a tad. There is some mild honey and grain scents. There is a mild sweetness familiar to a Muscat Blanc. The scents are really faint.

T: Much better than the scent. Definitely has the makings of a dessert wine as the Muscat grapes play a significant role. The honey also adds to the sweetness.

M: This is a nice medium bodied beer. Despite the sweetness, it finishes rather dry.

O: This is one of those beers I am glad I had the opportunity to try and while I did enjoy it, I am not sure I would seek it out again. But I would not shy away from having more.

IronCitySteve, Sep 04, 2011

Bottled 5/02/2011 102
Poured into tulip.

A- Slightly hazy golden pour, half finger white head that disappears leaving thin ring and staggered wisps around glass. Lacing is short lived.

S- Grains and honey up front, a slight brightness from the grapes.

T- Grapes and honey compliment each other well. Slight alcohol warmth on the way down. Bready notes in the back.

M- Medium bodied, chewy and juicy. Slight alcohol warmth and sticky on the lips.

O- Having never smelt or tasted saffron this one isn't living up to it's potential. Much more appreciated now than when I had my first bottle of this last summer.

korguy123, Sep 02, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one poured a light copper color with a small off white head that fell to a ring around the glass. Smells like bread and honey, a good combination. The distince flavor of honey and alcohol at the start, then a nice malty near the end, and finally a bit of hop bite to cap it off. The mouthfeel is pretty decent, with good carbonation and smooth feel. This beer is fairly drinkable. I would enjoy drinking this one again.

soulfly967, Jan 26, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a very beautiful golden color with an attractive, moderate sized head.

S- One of the best qualities of this beer in my opinion. Smells strongly of honey, and the saffron is also apparent.

T- Tastes... different. This is where the history of this beer becomes apparent. While it weighs in at a fairly hefty 9% ABV, the alcohol taste is surprisingly well hidden by the complexity of the brew. Tastes mostly of grapes; very winy, though not in a bad way.

M- Good mouthfeel. Slightly sticky and definitely heavier than most.

D- This is where this otherwise great beer suffers. It is simply too complex to drink more than one (maybe, MAYBE two) in sitting.

O- Overall, this is a great beer. It definitely opens your eyes to the evolution of beer from the nearly 2,700 year old recipe to the beer we normally consume today.

skyline31687, Jan 04, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

As a guy with a history degree, I couldn't pass this up when I saw it!

A nice golden-orange clored brew with plenty of apparent carbonation. It has a thick, rocky, white head. Solid head retention, with residual lace almost completely coating the glass. Smells and tastes like a mild mead. Grape comes through somewhat in the taste & smell, mixing with a slightly yeasty aroma. Very smooth and easy drinking beer. Overall, a bit too mead/wine-like to become a regular, but a good brew for a change of pace.

Viking, Aug 09, 2002
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Beer poured into a tulip. Beer is dark yellow and has some haze from a bunch of tiny floaties in it. Forms a big white head at first but it falls away quickly leaving almost nothing behind.

Aroma is mostly sweet like honey with mild spices. Overall its rather weak.

Beer is medium bodied with little in the front palate but some OK sweetness at the back. Finishes with a mild bitterness that is OK. Overall the beer is pretty drinkable but its not my favorite beer from DFH. Its worth the novelty but its just OK.

drabmuh, Jun 15, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Pours almost like champagne into a snifter, color and all. Lots of bubble action that produces a decent head with mild retention.

Smell:
Still getting that champagne reminder along with tart apple coupled with mulling spices. The scent travels quite well from the glass.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Smooth and full with little carbonation to speak of. I'm reminded of a mixture between lager and mead because of strong honey and mulling spice notes offset by a mildy sweet wheat lager character. In the after taste I catch the grapes which camp out on my tongue for a spell.

Drinkability:
With dinner I could work wonders with this beer. I can't wait for the holidays to introduce this beer as an accompaniment to our existing tradition of mead. It's mild enough to enjoy casually as well. Not my Friday/Saturday night beer but quite a treat.

Bottom Line:
A pretty unique beer which I see almost infinite food potential for. Give it a shot if you're finding your beer variety becoming a little stale.

Grundle20, Oct 18, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz bottle poured into signature Dogfish Head Glass.

Appearance - Light orange/yellow color with a bit of an off white colored head. Seems to have a good amount of carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma - Smells fairly strong of spices and wheat. There is a hint of some fruity notes as well.

Taste - I get a taste some some spices, maybe nutmeg and cinnamon? In either case it brings together a nice herbal spice. Throughout the middle there is a pronounced sweetness from maybe honey and the muscat grapes really come through bringing out the wine characteristic I was looking forward to tasting. It finished very earthy tasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy feel with a good amount of carbonation throughout. It needed this to hold up with the strong flavors of the beer.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipper beer. Should be drank like wine, but it definitely can go down smooth and often. Every Dogfish head fan should give this beer a try. Reminded me of a spiced up hef in some regards.

craigreed, Dec 17, 2010
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Midas Touch pours with a deep amber/orange color with small head that dissipates soon after being poured. Midas is extremely sweet with prounced tastes of grapes and honey with an aftertaste of spiced apples, very similar to a hard cider. A very enjoyable drink especially after learning the fabled origin of the beer. Congrats to Dogfish Head for taking the chance and brewing something so unique.

NickLovesBeer, Oct 29, 2003
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

I picked this up at Downtown Wine & Spirits because my dad had heard about it somewhere. The beer came in a standard 12 oz. brown bottle. The purple label has a fingerprint on the logo, and says "Handcrafted Ancient Ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes & saffron". I let the beer warm to approximately 50°F, and served it in one of my New Belgium snifters.

Appearance: Midas Touch pours a crystal clear, deep golden-orange. It's fizzy, with large soda like bubbles. Topped by a white half-inch head, that quickly diminishes to a ring.

Smell: The beer smells earthy, malty and a little buttery. Upon swirling I get wine-like grape aromas.

Taste: The taste is complex. Grainy flavors and honey sweetness are evident immediately. Malts take over in the center and are overtaken by tartness and spicyness in the finish. The aftertaste is spicy with alcoholic warmth. A modest bitterness appears mostly in the finish. It's almost like there's a mead to beer to wine transition.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and medium bodied with light carbonation. Leaves a buttery feel in the mouth.

Drinkability: This beer is 9.0% abv, which is evident in the taste. The flavors are also very strong, making this a bad session brew.

Overall: This is an interesting beer, definitely very wine like. It's a neat idea for a beer, and the execution isn't bad. It's almost a little too strong.

EPICAC, Feb 02, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

Notes from my most recent try:

A: hazy/cloudy orange reddish colors some laceing but does not last

S: honey, grapey like wine some spice

T: Tangy from the grapes and honey, some spice notes and tartness again from teh grapes

M: Syrupy, tangy, alot going on...dry

D: Grape as teh main flavor of a beer is not my favorite, this is an interesting beer and worth trying but not one to have all the time. Very complex.

beersensei305, Dec 21, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a clear amber-gold color. Very thin head that fell quickly. No cap, ring or lace.
Boozy, but somewhat light, aroma. Cinammon, grapes/golden raisins, honey, saffron/spice. The grapes lend a vinious aroma that reminds me of sweet dessert wine.
Has a bit of a muscat wine flavor. The savory saffron flavor hits first, followed by a cinammon flavor. Grapes/golden raisins, orange blossom honey and lots of alcohol.
Medium-light mouthfeel. It doesn't coat the tongue, but it does linger for a minute.
Somewhat lower drinkability only because of the ABV and strong flavors. This is not an all-night drinker.
Good end of the night (at home) beer. I think it would take a while to get through a whole sixer of this. Recommended, but share if you can.

gabeerfan, Aug 02, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Pretty golden color. Very thin head - reduced to hardy anything.

S: Pear, grapes, saffron - just basically what the label says.

T: Sharp grapey flavor, honey, pears, grapefruit, anise, a little cinnamon.

M: Very mild carbonation - fairly smooth.

D: Goes down at first fairly well but is a little sweet for a lot of consumption.

HatTrick, Feb 15, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

Surprised I never reviewed this before.

A-pours a slightly dark clear golden. Head is minimal and short.

S-sweet honey, hints of liquor and a vague bitterness

T-A good body of honey at first. Waves of floral honey then a hit of bitterness. This is almost a mead. A good mead at that. very smooth. This is no one trick pony, as it warms liquorice, cloves and heather come through.

D-slightly syrupy, high carbonation

D-I enjoy this but can only have one at a time due to the sweetness. I would say this a good mead.

sleazo, Oct 18, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured a barely hazed pumpkin orange color. It had no real head, some tiny bits of carbonation, thick lace that wouldn't budge, and tried hard to stain. Impressive for a strange brew.

Smelled of grapes, cumin (though its really saffron) - hard to detect much else because of these. Taste was sweetly of white grapes, lightly syrupy (from the honey?), but dissappeared. Then a strange herby spice flavor from the saffron came on. Not much else. Couldn’t detect alcohol at all. With a softly dry finish, nice easy mouthfeel, its different but not compelling.

nomad, Aug 21, 2003
3.61/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy gold with an orange tint, leaving almost no head and little lacing.

Smell is of fruit and honey at first with a hint of buttery bread later.

Taste is light fruit and honey up front with a faint taste of bread coming in later. The 9% ABV is undetectable.

Mouth feel is heavier than expected. Almost like diluted syrup. Heavily carbonated with tiny champagne-like bubbles.

Interesting hybrid of beverage styles. I see elements of beer, wine, champagne and mead here. Pretty good.

Furlinator, Sep 17, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Had this on tap at Coles in Buffalo, NY at their Dogfish Head tap takeover.

I like that this beer exhists and appreciate that a brewery went to the lengths they did to bring it to fruition.

When I was pouring this beer for samples I was surprised by how carbonated it was, being that so much honey was used and how complete fermentation is with honey.

This is an earthy beer with unexpected flavors: saffron, overripe fruit, and mead. It has a slicker mead like mouthfeel and has that initial sweetness but finishes dry and tidy.

Not an everyday beer but an interesting bottle to bring to a dinner party or to buy and ponder over.

alexkeil, Mar 03, 2012