Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,592 | Hads: 4,498
4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

First of all: Very delicious beer. When I saw "saffron" and "grapes" written on the bottle, I was a little hesitant, but I've come to expect perfection from Dogfish Head and I was not let down. Midas Touch delivers.

Very good aromas, strong fruity scents, and these also enhance the taste. 9% abv but it's well masked - you can't taste the alcohol over the strong flavors. Feels wonderful.

Pour me another! I'll be returning to Midas Touch pretty soon. (454 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Served on tap at the local pub and at my own wedding (gives a clue as to my affinity for this golden honey brew)

This beer is quite exceptional from the bottle when aged and allowed to mellow, but on tap it's a different beast. Pours a beautiful dark gold color with the slightest amber hue.

Smells biscuits, honey and saffron up front and a lingering phenol

Taste follows the aroma. Quite buttery, toasted bread, mellow and sweet followed by a diacetyl flavor and warming alcohol; slightly phenol again and faintly grapy. Each raising of the glass brings out the complexity of the flavors as the beer warms also.

Syrupy and velvety mouthfeel, very smooth if heavy. A nice, mild but surprising carbonation that is crisp and lends itself well to the warming flavors of the beer.

Dangerously drinkable for the abv. Many people that find this brew to be a bit too much for high drinkability out of the bottle find no such problem with it on tap as it becomes quite a bit more mellowed (thought I find it to be almost as satisfying bottled). An exceptional brew not to be missed! (1,081 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

This is a sipping beer, or a pairing-with-food beer, not a drinking beer as we tend to understand it on this site, but it's a pretty great beer for those occasions.

The nose is very wine or mead-like, with white grapes and honey. I didn't have a great experience with my last honey beer, so I was nervous, but there was no need--the mouthfeel is sugary but without being syrupy, the alcohol must give a warming effect, and the taste blends nicely overall. The malt must soften the sweetness and the alcohol content. I catch a little bit of spice--is it the saffron? I'm not sure--but overall this really reminds me of a warmer friendlier beer-ier champagne.

I would definitely drink it again. (695 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +17.2%

From Notes 8-6-08

Eye: Clear gold in appearance . Head formation was never really up there but at least it does have a head. Steady retention of the head, which is more of a thick blanket, and an overall nice texture -creamy- make up for the size...given the type of beer/drink this is I think that this "froth" is more appropriate. Lacing is perfect....it makes up for any flaw in appearance.

Nose: Herbal notes and honey are prominent. Nice overall round mellow aroma. No hops and not much coming from malted barley, mostly comprised of herbs and honey as aforementioned. Some alcohol is noticeable.

Tongue: Honey and some herbal notes, much as in the aroma. Alcohol is present, lending a spicy character to give some balance. Hop bitterness is just there, not really noticeable but if you look for it one can find it. There are also some vinous characteristics here-kinda dry much like a dry white wine.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Mouthfeel is medium-light. The honey in here gives it some body, carbonation is spot on. Great beer, one that everyone should try. This is one for wine drinkers, it would be a nice crossover for them in my opinion, and if you love mead than this one is also for you. This is one I'll definitely be buying again, easy to drink, however, I can't see drinking more than two in a sitting. Just a nice beer to sit and relax with. (1,366 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Described as an "ancient" ale, it pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a head that foams up nicely, but retreats quickly. The nose is complex with honey, bananas, muscat grapes. The hop character is very subdued if present at all. The flavor is very sweet but in a good way, like in a Belgian-style. Again, there is good flavor of honey. It is full bodied with a nice alcohol heat that is equal to the carbonation and cream. I had one of these in my wine cellar for about 11 months after purchase and it was just as good as the first one I ever opened. (555 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

Whether or not the legend behind this beer is true, it's definitely one for the ages. It's why I love Dogfish Head stuff so much: recognizably, undoubtedly beer, but also adventurous, unique, always different and usually incredibly tasty.

Pours a finger-thick soapy head which chills out pretty quickly to almost nothing, just a little foam around the sides. Medium carbonation and glowing reddish-gold body. Dots of lace.

Smells of white grapes, raisins, honey, with an almost sherry-like alcoholic richness in the background. I've never smelled a beer quite like this one. Fruity, spicy, fragrant, an interesting combination of ingredients, definitely unique.

Flavors are abundant. Even if you'd never read the label, the white grape is a pronounced and obvious flavor, with walnut, barley, honey and a bit of the 9% ABV making itself known. There's also a slightly spiky spice here, which I suppose is saffron, but I'm not well-versed enough with saffron to actually pick that out without the label's help.

Creamy in the mouth, with a mild bite to the carbonation.

An excellent summer drink with a complex flavor profile that helps hide the higher ABV a little too well. The first time I had this was autumn '05, sitting on a friends' porch while watching a parade of hundreds of runners running a Raleigh road race, glad I was partaking of this fine brew and not doing all that running. (1,406 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a nice amber color with a slight haze and some white particles drifting around the glass. Medium sized head on top that reduces quickly to a thin lace on the surface. Lots of carbonation rising to the surface. Wonderfully complex aroma. Malty and fruity… grapes are apparent, and a bit of apple is also noticeable. I can detect some spice on the nose. It may be the saffron that is mentioned on the label, but I never would have know if it wasn’t on the bottle. A touch of floral hops and alcohol are also in the aroma. Palate, like the nose, seems to be quite complex. There’s a smooth sweet slightly malty start shortly followed by fruity flavors. Some sweetness and smoothness is also added by the honey. Grapes and grape skins are quite noticeable, and I’m still detecting a touch of apple. The finish is sweet, yet is also slightly hoppy and fairly tart. The malt comes through a bit more again in the aftertaste. There’s a bit of a warming sensation as this brew goes down. Full mouth feel with a nice carbonation. Great brew that is pretty complex and definitely unique. I’m finding it a bit tough to piece together all the flavors in this review. It would probably make for a nice desert beer and is certainly a nice change of pace. (1,252 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance- Inviting, slightly hazy gold-amber with cream-white head, fairly low retention. Light on lacing.

Smell- Strong aromas of grain, sweet fruit -specifically grape, spicy herbal notes, and clover honey. Pretty complex and very intriguing.

Taste- Strong, sweet notes of honey and herbal spices, grape, malty-grainy dryness. Complex and well-balanced. Honey and then a slight bitter dryness on the finish. Some warming from the alcohol as it travels down the throat, but otherwise the alcohol is fairly well hidden.

Mouthfeel- Really good mouthfeel- creamy and full-bodied, much more so than it looks. Satisfying.

Drinkability- A very delicious and complex brew. Definitely different from most of the beer I've tasted. If it weren't for the price tag, I'd like to think I'd pick up quite a few of these and sit around with friends drinking this with a good meal. (873 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured a dark honey color with no noticeable head. Plenty of effervescence, though. The smell is flowery, cidery, and it makes for no misgivings about its potency. Bit of earthiness to it, very pleasant. The taste is a vertiable explosion on the pallate - very complex. Sweet honey, herbal notes, almost a trappist-like dark fruitiness, but sweeter. Exceptionally tasty. Mouthfeel is very sweet, and the carbonation level is very very fine. Very tasty beverage, and a welcome change. (483 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

Not dated on the bottle, but i assume this beer is about 6 months old.

Pours out a slightly hazy orange with a bubbly white head that drops a bit quickly.

Smell. Sweet and fruity. My initial reaction was white grape juice. But also has some sweet caramel, tiny bit of pineapple, and a vanilla spice. It also seems to be a touch earthy.

Taste. A bit strong on the alcohol, and a bit yeasty. Taste is also sweet, and with a bit of grapes. It's kinda like a strong and heavy reisling. Has a slight tart flavor in the middle of my swallow, slightly like strawberries. Apples come out a lot too in the flavor. But there is also an interesting creamy flavor that is very unique, like buttered croissants, or a cream cheese pastry flavor. Very interesting. Aftertaste is warming of alcohol and has a nice sugary cinnoman flavor after a few seconds.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium-full body, alcohol really gives it a warming effect. Nice amount of carbonation.

Overall, without saying, not like any other beer i've had before. Very nice experience. Would love get my hands on some more of this (1,096 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer poured from Bottle into Snifter

A - Beer has a rich golden body and poured with a 1/2 finger white head; the foam did not hold that well and dissipated rather quickly

S - Floral scents; first scent to hit the nose is sweet honey and grapes; beer also carries a subtle citrus fruit grape sourness on the back-end

T - Honey sweetness; grape juice and spices; overall a fantastic flavor and great blend of complex ingredients

M - The beer drank very easily; it was smooth down the hatch; thin consistency and slightly effervescent; could have felt more full and alive with a bit more body to it

D - Overall another fine concoction from Dogfish; I really enjoyed this beer and thought it was original and flavorful; packs a good punch of unique flavors; I would have another for sure (789 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

This brew was a bit different than I expected. I was looking for a strong malty brew with a harsh alcohol character and a finish to take paint off the family vehicle. What I found was a hazy golden pouring with a thick foamy off-white head. with a complex aroma of musky grapes and slight hint of alcohol. The first taste uncovered a complex heavy grape and honey sweetness with a musky oaky finish. This concoction was very smooth for teh alcohol content and is reminiscent of a fine aged wine. Nice work. (511 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is freaking fantastic!

When it pours it pours like Zeus' blood. It looks like a cross between a meade and a champagne.

Easy smell, chardonnay smells, honey, gore-g-us

Tastes amazing, If you were to chug a bottle of that honey that comes in the bear bottle, that's what it would taste like.

Finishes sweet. Not much carbonation.

It makes me hoppy! Me so hoppy! (375 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: The bottle tells it all. This Golden Elixer pours a beautiful golden color. With a small bit of head to start with which eventually fades to just a slight ring around the glass.

Smell: Saffron and grapes at the forefront, along with a bit of maltiness. Not such a big smell, but nice.

Taste: Very nice taste. You get the saffron and the spicy flavors at the front, which gives way to a malty flavor, which again transitions into a sweet white grape flavor. Also present by the end of each sip is the sweet honey flavor as well.

Mouthfeel: Nice amount of carbonation present, which really adds to the flavor transitions throughout this beer. Very smooth drinking as well.

Drinkability: Although a slightly high ABV, this is a beer that I could drink all night. It is unique, complex, and delicious, and you could not ask for anything more than that. Highly, highly recommended beer. (900 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an amazing beer, and I love how it goes directly against the Reinheitsgebot.

It pours a lovely light gold with a bit of carbonation.

Smell is sweet and enticing. Sugar, honey, sweet caramel and grapes are everywhere.

Taste is unique. It almost feels like a lager at first, but then the honey and grapes take the flavor on a detour to a place of delicate and amazing sweetness.

The carbonation is a bit intense; I feel like if the beer didn't have as much of it, it could have a better mouth feel.

Mouth feel is bold upfront, mildly dry in the body and dry at the end.

The lingering tail is the grape sweetness.

I find this beer to be quite drinkable. I love how sweet and complex it is. If I were to change anything about it, it would be to make it be less dry and less carbonated. That being said, this beer is so well balanced that I can get past it and enjoy.

Cheers (887 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The nose is light and sweet with notes of honey and white wine up front that fade into a caramel-esque sticky sweetness. I've used the word sweet twice but it doesn't smell overpoweringly sweet, it actually smells kind of dry but there is a sticky sweetness throughout the whole smell, probably from the honey. It actually smells very similar to another Ancient Ale, Chateau Jiahu. The taste is slightly sweet with grapes, apples and pears blending nicely with a touch of booziness and fading into a sweet but dry finish. The body is very light but it has some heft to it and the alcohol heat doesn't kick in until the sip has settled in your stomach. This is one of their best Ancient Ales. I put two of my 4-pack away to age a bit and see where it goes. (755 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +18%

King Midas captured my moniker's namesake after he became excessively drunk (more than normal). In fact, Midas and Silenius were drinking buddies!

Therefore, I feel a connection to this beer. But I have enjoyed it many times before I picked my moniker, so that didn't influence my opinion.

Served slightly warmer than fridge temp. in a tulip glass.

It pours with a slightly opaque wild honey color. Amber with glints of orange. I like this color. Its head is shallow and short-lived and left no lace in the glass. A few lazy carbonation bubbles are evident in the glass.

A pleasant honey, muscat grape, and butter aroma hit me when I stuck my nose in the glass. The honey aroma is more evident as the beer warms. A little swirling brings it out even more. I could smell this all day long

This beer has a looong finish an great mouthfeel. It hangs around your mouth for a while and reminds you how good it is. The buttery honey taste and a malty backbone keep it balanced. A stupendous effort, but like a rich dessert, I wouldn't consume one after another. One at a time is plenty for me. (1,102 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +18%

341ml bottle I acquired for $4.25 in Machias, Maine - three hours from where I live, in NB, Canada. Yes, gotta drive that far to get new beer. Another $4.25 or so for duty, so about $8.50 for one 12oz beer. Better be good!

This beer really is like a cross between wine, beer and mead (which I assume tastes a lot like honey. Pours a golden colour (hence the name) with a nice film of white head that sticks around a while. Sweet smell of flowers (assume saffron), really pleasing. A lot of honey on the palate, some grape juice, a bit of booze on the finish, but the 9% is hidden very well. Smooth.

Really impressed with the beer. I've had some bad experiences with Dogfish Head in the past, but this one really surprised me. (727 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%

I bought one of these so that I could feel like I was an ancient egyptian pharoah. The label says that their recipe was derived using some Jurrasic Park style science but I don't think I buy into that. If it was authentic it would have had instructions to drink it warm or at most as cool as the Nile river. Also it is fairly carbonated.

To today's standards however, I found this to be unique, enjoyable, and slightly warming. Must have been the high ABV. If this wasn't so expensive I would but this more often, but alas those ancient ingredients really jack up the price and I'm not a pharaoh with giant piles of gold that I can spend on beer.

I highly recommend giving this a try. (687 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Clear and Golden. Very bubbly, however small head. Thin film at most.

S - Alcohol comes through in the nose. Buiscuty with a large amount of grapes to the smell. The label boasts of saffron, but I don't detect it.

T - Now that is delecious. The best part of the whole drink is the end, where the honey lingers for a long time. In the front hops and many spices can be tasted. I do get the hint of saffron also. This is a delicious tasting beer. If you've ever had mead, and liked it, then you will love this.

M - Low carbonation, but leaves the mouth slick and satisfied.

D - This is very drinkable, although it is a bit pricey. I imagine that is because of the saffron. Worth the little extra though. (760 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%

Ok i've never been good at describing wine or beer but here I go... It's more of a dessert beer than anything else. Nice saffron finish, but if you dont like saffron don't even bother. It would pair well with fish, not oily, Ceviche, blue cheese, tart fruit, Keylime pie and or Cioppino. I liked it but would not drink it alone. (328 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: golden hazy peach color

S: wine, grapes. I'm not a huge wine nut, but it smells like a sweet Riesling.

T: Never had a herbed beer quite like this. Tastes of white grape juice, saffron. A bit like a Riesling honestly...less sweet.

F: soft drink carbonation. Again nothing to compare it to, but I can't complain.

O: tasty first Beer that's sweet but dissent overdue it. Great Beer/wine feel. (398 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet. Served slightly below cellar temperature. Yes, I know that wouldn't have been "historically accurate", but then again, neither is filtered beer. I also doubt the original brew was 9% ABV.

Nice golden amber color. It has little head, but I didn't expect one. It does manage to keep a little bubbly ring around the glass.

Smells nice and sweet. I can pick out the grapes and the saffron first. The honey and barley come next. Great smell.

The taste is more of the smell. The grapes and honey are first with a little saffron. Barley finishes and is much more prevalent than in the nose. There is a sweet white wine aftertaste that lingers nicely. Some alcohol is present every few sips.

In the mouth it is almost as light as a white wine, but with beer carbonation.

This beer is very drinkable, especially on a warm day. I have had this one before and will continue to treat myself to a bottle every now and then. (953 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a very nice opaque deep golden with a slight white ring on top of it. Smell is very sweet..honeyish...I like the effect.

The taste starts off with the honey from the smell and then rolls into a very nice tingly grape effect. Malts are present in abundance, and absolutely thrash the hops, which is to my liking. The hops still offer some slight back of the tongue tingles in the right spots though and add to a dry, yet tingly finish. I really like this stuff a lot.

The mouth on this is quite good, it has only light hop action, but it is very sticky and finds its way onto each taste bud. The drinkability is definitely top notch as well, very easy to drink because the sweet malty aspect makes it easy to quaff.

I hadn't had a lot of luck finding Dogfish beers that I would rebuy to this point, but Midas Touch is a very tasty offering and I highly recommend it to people who love sweeter beers with the malts dominating the hops. (948 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured a golden, honey color with little to no head. Lacing was present but minimal. The smell was of grapes and honey. The taste was incredible. Tasted like a grape Jolly Rancher with a touch of honey. Not much bitterness dtetected. The mouthfeel was thick and creamy and the carbonation was minimal. Overall and incredibly different beer but great tasting. (358 characters)

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery