Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

A - dark golden color, oddly enough it looks like a lager with honey in it. The head was a thick lager type head but dissipated quickly. You can see the carbonation in this beer.
S - No surprises here. Honey and grape juice are strong. If anyone's ever mixed a bud light and a chardonnay and passed it off on a girl as a "respectable drink" (no? I'm the only one?), this is the base aroma of that concoction. This is much more refined and complex, however.
T - There is an immediate malt presence that defines this as a beer, but it fades rapidly into a powerful grape juice/white wine flavor. The honey is there, but only seems to be providing a sweetness, and not so much of a distinct honey flavor. My only complaint here is that the malt flavor does not seem very...sophisticated?? (read, tastes like an MGD)...however, the rest of the very non-beer flavors are exciting.
M - Macro Lager mouthfeel at first (bubbly water), with a thick, creamy following (from the honey?). Ends up coating the mouth and gumming up in the back of the throat a little.
D - I think this is very drinkable. Its 9%ABV may argue, but I don't feel an overwhelming alcohol flavor. I want to drink at least one more to discover more subtle flavor nuances, and feel I'll have no problem doing so. And, its "fruity" enough that my wife likes it and thinks its "yummy"...we'll see how she feels after a couple.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this beer into a glass, it has a hazy orange color body with a little white head that disappears quickly. The smell is sweet of grapes and a hint of honey. The taste starts off a little weird, i get some honey taste then a raisin like on the back, and a spicy finish. Mouth feel is ok. Overall this is a decent beer. I'm glad i tried it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received in a trade from BRoss242 in the Boxing Day BIF.

The pour is clear amber with a one finger white head that fades down to a halo. This has a appealing aroma when I'm not getting a nose full of alcohol- white wine, honey, and a ton of spice. The taste is off and on in the same way. In one sip, I'm enjoying the honey, candy-sweet malts, and spices; in an another sip, I get an overly alcoholic cooking white wine. In theory the flavors should join forces to create a nice Riesling taste, but that never happens. All in all, Midas Touch a fun beer to try because of it's unique history, plus it's from a brewery that I'd been wanting to try for a while. Thanks BRoss242!

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle Inspection: Label notes barley, honey, white Muscat grapes & saffron, and 9% abv. Lasered neck lists a bottling date of 04/05/06 (sampled 10/4/06).

Aroma: Sparkling grape soda, perfumed earthy hops.

Appearance: A very clear orange amber (I really want to say golden) goblet holds only the thinnest of collars and spots of head.

Flavor: Melons and wine. A drastic oversimplification of what’s going on, but those are the main flavors I get. A little honey sweetness flips to a drying, almost burning alcoholic finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy body dries in a flash but leaves a fairly thick coat. Interesting.

Overall Impression: From a historical perspective, you have to give it up to DFH. From a taste perspective, it’s different, but enjoyable, much like the rest of the DFH line. The alcohol is a bit assertive and might benefit from some aging, but I’m worried that the spice would really fade.
Recommended

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

Had this brew a while back, definitely one of the more interesting DF has put out. This beer pours an clear orangish-gold with a thin, fizzy white head that circles the outside of the glass. Definite light win aroma in the smell, along with a thick pancake syrup that brings out a lot of the sweetness, also fruity with obvious grape overtones. taste is sweet, but not too cloying, like a tasty sparkling white grape juice. After the sweetness subsides, a little of the 9-percent alcohol warming pokes through.

Definitely a different brew, good for a changeup every now and then when the usual IPA and RIS's get to be too repetitive. A must try.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, poured into a "14 ounce pint glass."

Gold, clear, hardly any head, seemingly very low carbonation. Smells primarily of grapes and honey. Tastes like the same. 9% alcohol is present in a thick syrupy mouthfeel. Quite sweet. There's no hops to balance it out. In that aspect I suppose this might be good as a desert beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle received as part of the BIF 24 shipment from ChadBrew. Thanks!

Poured a "sparkly" honey-golden color. Head was really strange in that is popped and fizzed....yet nearly instantaneously disappeared. Quite strange. Lots of sweetness in the nose, maybe some earthy notes, and spiced grapes. Flavor pulls a lot of the honey flavor out. Malt backbone and grape wine flavors. Sticky sweet aftertaste. Surprisingly thick mouthfeel and good drinkability. A different beer.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a deep golden color with thin head that dissapates quickly leaving some lacing behind.

Aromas are interesting, round and slightly sweet, the muscat grape component as well as the saffron are subtle but perceptible. There is a heavy, little bit musky aspect to the beer which I usually pick up in Heather ales or Gruits, probably because of low hop levels, it is ok, but doesn't make you want to smell it all day long.

Taste is alright as well, not too complex which is too bad, I would expect a little more stuff going on in here. Alcohol level is nicely buffered and it definitely warms you up, there is just not enough vivaciousness to make you really excited.

All in all a decent beer for originality but I wouldn't necessarily buy it again just to drink beer.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours honey colored with an average white head. The smell is amazingly complex. Grapes are prominent, fruits, sugars and malts, and lots of other things I can't put my finger on. The taste of this brew evolved quite a bit from start to finish. At first I tasted lots of honey and barley malt, then some strange caramely tastes that reminded me of some sort of fruity, nutty candybar, but those flavors gave way to sweet white wine and fruits. However, those flavors were overpowed by cidery/sugary alcohol midway through the glass, which really hurt drinkability. Also, I'm not sure I tasted any saffron, which seemed like a waste to me since saffron is expensive. The mouthfeel was thing and slightly syupy, with medium-low carbonation. Overall, this is a strange brew indeed. Glad I tried it, but this is not on my Christmas list.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into a tulip it had a decent, transient head. Light copper color with great clarity and effervescence. Smelled primarily of grape, some honey and sugar. Clean taste - surprisingly simple flavor profile. Begins with grape and honey very briefly then gives way to sourdough-esque barley and a little spice (saffron perhaps). Pretty light body, crisp and bubbly on the tongue. A bit astringent and lots of alcohol warmth. This is my second time (first time was about 2 years ago) having this brew and I remember liking it a lot more. As it stands now, it is an interesting beer but not all that impressive.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Smells of honey and something else I can't quite place (perhaps saffron, but I dont think my nasal passages are quite so refined to detect that). Tastes so sweet. The honey flavors are extremely prevalent.

Quite a spicy aftertaste, with the resonance of honey and fruitiness. All in all, it tastes good, but for some reason I can't drink it that quickly, and I have no desire for any more once I am done.

An interesting brew, but not sure I would drink it again. I think the honey was a bit overpowering. But definitely glad I tried it once.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Clear orange gold with a finger of white head. Head falls fairly quickly to a thin cap.

Aromas of mead-like booziness. Flowers, honey and grapes can all be noted. Quite a mix, a wide range of aromas.

Lightly malty up front, then the grapes really show in the middle. Mead impression in the finish, with a bit more booziness than I'd like.

There's a more than reasonable body to the beer with average carbonation and some slickness. Not bad in the mouthfeel department.

The first bottle I had of this I was quite excited. Some of its charm has worn off though, as tends to happen to me with any mead flavours. Still not bad, but not a big deal.

12oz bottle with no date poured into a Pint Glass at Barley House Algonquin, IL

A - Midas poured a clear light golden wheat with a small white head that descended to a ring with haste.

S - Malty but minerally. The grape and honey aromas really pull through. It has a very mead-like smell to it.

T - Honey, a strong sweetness from the malts too. A very noticeable white grape flavor. Tastes like a mix of barleywine and mead. Good!

M - Light but syrupy at the same time and crisp yet sweet. Awesome complexity.

D - Awesome beer but its barleywine flavor and 9% don't lend well to the drinkability of this beer.

purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Clear, light, weak, watery looking copper, brown yellow coloring. Pathetic head and lacing. Not impressed.

Smell = Strong flavorful scent with high alcohol. I detect lots of fruit and a bit of smoke but the alcohol is bit overwhelming.

Taste = Interesting experiimental beer. I love the sweet, butterscotch aftertaste and it's definitely my favorite part of the beer. There's a lot of sugar here and it would make a very good dessert beer. The initial taste is a blast of alcohol; you can definitely taste the 9%. It's hard to taste a ton of flavor upfront because of the strong alcohol. It's blended well with a pleasant honey taste full of spices and again the aftertaste is delicious. This is a sipping brew though so you should drink it very slowly.

Overall = I'm glad I tried it and it's a very interesting, unique beer from Dogfish. I most lilkely won't buy it again though. It's a little too potent and sweet for me and in its place, I'd rather drink a nice dessert wine or port.

12oz bottle into tulip.

A - Ultra clear golden copper with a small white head.

S - Light sweet malt, white grapes, honey, herbal spice.

T - Mildly sweet bready malt, grape juice, subtle honey and spice. A light bitterness on the finish.

M - Smooth, light-medium body, crisp and refreshing. Dry finish.

O - An interesting beer for sure. There is a nice white wine character throughout. Very easy to drink, refreshing and flavorful.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a medium amber with bright golden highlights and minimal head. The aroma has a sweet fruitiness to it, an aroma that wouldn't be out of place in a dessert wine. Golden delicious apples and bubblegum esters are hiding in there, too. Very little in the way of malt aromas. Sweet on the palate, but not heavily so -- lots of fruit notes, lots of bubblegum. The overall flavor impression reminds me of grape flavored Big League Chew. In spite of the cloying apsect of the flavors, the lightness of the mouthfeel and the smoothness of the beer make this very drinkable. Overall, this is an OK beer, historically interesting and unoffensive, but a bit too fruity-sweet for my taste.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 355-ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - light gold in colour with a short, shimmering head and a little lace. Looks like there's some active cloudiness in the beer.

Smell - warm malt and honey are noticeable.

Taste - herbal taste and barley flavours dominate with a wave of sweetness at the end.

Mouthfeel - very smooth and even taste, body and finish.

Drinkability - decent, especially for the ABV. On the other hand this is expensive and at 9% you can't have more than 1-2 at a time.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy straw color. Frothy off-white head that started at about two fingers in height but quickly faded to a small film of head.

Aroma: Some sweet breadiness. The sweet part is possibly from the honey or a mix of that and the white grapes. No hops or alcohol. Smells alright, no off-odors but nothing special. Almost like a Pale Ale.

Taste: Sweet and bready palate. No hops and the sweetness from the grapes and honey cover up any bitterness. Wouldn't guess that this is 9% ABV. However, it does drink like a wine/cidar in a way (the grapes probably push this issue). It's an attractive and slightly unique flavor but not a must-try. Very clean taste.

Mouthfeel: Oddly wet and dry at the same time. Medium in body. Easily drinkable.

Final Thoughts: Far from being my favorite DFH offering, Midas Touch is an interesting beer that delivers on it's promise of barley, honey, and white grape flavors. Would I drink it again? Probably not.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Very excited to try this one. I was told it would be interesting at the store when I selected it.
I have a 12 oz bottle and have poured it into a glass goblet I recently picked up. The color is a pale, clear orange. Even some shades of pink like a blush wine. The aroma is also similar to a blush wine. Definite smell of alcohol present. Reminds me of college days buying box wines. The head was a challenge to try and build, it came up bright white and dissipated very quickly.
The carbonation is Very low and the beer tastes similar to a wine probably the grapes in the brew. Strong alcohol warming on the swallow is present. This beer is very winey in all characteristics. Very little if any hop or malt flavors present. Dominated by the off sweetness provided by the grapes. This reminds me of the post about "when is beer not beer anymore" It is exactly this kind of experimental fringe brew that I love to have around in the world of brewing. In my opinion DFH is the best US brewery pushing beer thresholds right now, and I really dig almost all of their beers.
Back to the beer. The bottle says 9% and it is right there smacking you inthe face. No sneaky drunkeness here. The brew is rather thin and very easily drinkable, if you dont mind sweet liquids.
The man at the beer store was correct, this is a rather interesting brew. If you are expecting a typical malty or hoppy beer this is not for you. But if you enjoy trying every beer you can get your hands on grab one of these. Just try one though, it is very possible that you wont like this one.

Poured into a snifter on 7/14/09

Bottled on 5/15/09

A - Robust, clear & gold in color. Poured a minimal head with low retention. However, a few swirls rejuvenates a bit of foam, which leaves some patchy lacing.

S - Grapes & honey in the nose; crisp & fruity. I'm not particularly familiar with saffron, so I don't know to what extent it informs the aroma.

T - I mainly noticed the white muscats coming through. Rounded out by a mild honey sweetness. After briefly researching saffron I think the spice may account for a dry bitterness that is present on the finish.

M - Ample carbonation with a noticeable slickness. Light in body. It becomes a bit flat towards the end.

D - ABV makes this one a sipper. Interesting brew; I like it, but there are other DFH offerings I prefer. I wouldn't have a problem drinking it periodically, though.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Pours a golden honey color, I'm sure this isn't intentional, but it is fitting. Not much of a head to speak of, rises quickly and then fades fast. Carbonation rises casually, as if taking a gingerly stroll through the beer.

S: Not much in the aroma--sweet Graham cracker-like malts, light shade of honey, plain, soggy oatmeal.

T: This is truly Nectar in the way of Apollo, Adonis, Athena, and Zeus. There is plenty of alcohol present, but it's entirely sweet. Light honey, dark and richly fermented grapes, buttery apple. It tastes rude and raw, a base, yet rich, fermentable.

M: Thinner bodied and silky.

D: I remember a drinking vessel in the ancient Greek section of the Boston MFA. On one side it read something like "Koidros is handsome" and on the opposing side, "Praise him and drink." I really want one of those, but with my name in place of Koidros. When I get it, this is the first brew I'll fill it with and pass it round the room. We'll have a symposium, and speak of politics and poetry. Or, just have a party and get pissed.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Date: 4/23/14
Location: Beer Necessities
Glassware: Tulip

Appearance: The beer pours an opaque amber with lightish red colors. Even with an aggressive pour I get minimal carbonation. There is a large viscous ring at the beers side. As you tilt the beer there is mild carbonation.
Aromatics: The Grape musk is where the beer starts and it's strong. Has the nose of Chardonnay alcohol to grape NyQuil. Good sent of spices. The saffron and something else.
Flavor: The beer is milder then wine but has a lot of complexity. Starts with ghetto grape again but there is a honeyed flavor that mellows the bitter grape. That's when the spices really start to play their part. The saffron returns as well as some spices I might get in all spice
Mouthfeel: The body is medium but the grapes leave a real buttering flavor in my mouth.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I wasn't in love with this one from Dogfish Head. I like the feel of the Belgian styles in this beer. But I don't know if I got the honey in this one. I did feel like it was a sweet beer. No hops, and not bitter at all. This beer feels like a lot of malt was used in this one.

The aroma was decent with some herbs, and a slight sweetness.
The look of this beer was light, with a slight amber look. The head was gone quickly.

Overall a solid beer, but not one of my favorites. It didn't live up to other beers from Dogfish head for me.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a crystal clear medium golden color with a stingy white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is interesting! I'm picking up some sugary candy smells as well as some dried fruits like cherry, grape and plum. Little bit of spicy/phenolic in the background. Taste isn't what you'd think from the smell. Tastes like a port mixed with a beer fermented with a Belgian yeast then flavored with cooking spices. A bit of alcohol as she warms. Finishes kinda sweet with a lingering spice that holds the taste buds hostage. Thick body, sticky mouthfeel, ample carbonation. Different to say the least. I couldn't see myself drinking this one very often, but I'm glad Sam brewed this for me to try.

Dogfish Head- Midas Touch Golden Elixir
Bottled on: 10/23/09
Just over 6 months old

A- Clear dark honey color with a very small amount of head leaving just a thin ring around the edges. Medium carbonation, this beer almost looks like apple juice.

S- Smells of sweet citrus. As it warmed up the honey and white grape smell really came through.

T-Sweet and citrus taste with a very slight bitter note. Very well balanced in my opinion. The barley stands out in the finish. As it warmed the grape taste shined.

M- It is light and smooth in the mouth. Leaving a light sugary taste. The carbonation on this gives it a fun feel in the mouth.

D- Crisp and refreshing. Smooth and easy to drink.

I love the history of this beer and was glad to try it. I will revisit this one when given the chance.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery