Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros

MikeRoni, Dec 26, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some light notes of honey. Taste is different, alcohol is certainly present, a bit wine like with some grape flavors, a bit of honey as well. Unique to say the least. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

tone77, Dec 26, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

cool idea, weird final product. pours clear golden with some yeast floaters and a thin white head that dies fast. it literally smells like feet, or like babies, or something that im kind if indifferent to at best, but the honey notes are the most obvious. the flavor too is honey heavy, which im fine with, and the other ingredients come together in a strange sort of way. not totaly palatable or delicious, but clever and unique. the mix of spices and herbs in this is downright odd and its hard to tell if there is balance here or not because its all totally foreign to me. the dry finish is nice though, and its welcomed here as a respite from the weirdness. alcohol is invisible somehow. good carbonation and a medium to full body. overall a strange creation, worth a try because its dogfish head, and because its one of the archeological beers, which i feel like are our duty to try to comprehend. i certainly enjoyed the challenge of this one, but i wont buy it again.

StonedTrippin, Dec 25, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Scents are fruity and sweet, a little red wine and spice notes. Very clear gold with a fluffy white head that leaves a bubbly lace scattered on top and around edges. Tastes a bit tannin like, ever so slight tartness with a spicy red wine finish. Light carbonation, viscous body with dry finish. Aftertaste is very reminiscent of red wine. Very warming. Fairly enjoyable, almost taste like an under carbonated dubbel.

Braz, Dec 25, 2012

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Bubbleghost, Dec 21, 2012

Pecan, Dec 20, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

A – I definitely made a mistake in waiting so long to try this beer. I bought it about 6 months ago and just from the pour I can see that it must have lost some of it’s pop as the head only lasted for about a moment before receding to nothing. Still, there seems to be a steady carbonation flowing up from the bottom which I will not complain about. The body is a bronze/copper/gold mixture—saffron really—and at least it looks very fine.

S – The nose is certainly unique, much like the nature of this beer. The bottle actually outlines the flavors rather perfectly. Upon first inhale the thing that comes to the forefront is the white grapes (which is really the dominant scent), and you can certainly appreciate the honey and the barley. I’m not entirely sure what saffron smells like but I am getting a slight spicy element here so lets go ahead and call that saffron.

T – I must admit that my first impression is that I am a little disappointed. The flavor is basically a carbon copy of the nose, except that the fruity element lent by the white grape seems overripe now. This may be owing to the length of time that I waited to drink this but I’m not so sure. In any case, as I continue sipping I’m growing a bit more accustomed to it and can appreciate it a bit better. I think I needed to give my taste buds a moment to process what it was taking in, because now it is actually cool, light, refreshing and fruity—a vast improvement from my first sip. I’m still not bowled over by the flavor but I can respect it and just how unique it is. This is a brave undertaking by dogfish head and I award them my kudos (meager as it may be). Very cool that this was made with the ingredients found in the tomb of King Midas, I feel like I’m stepping into a time machine. It drinks somewhat like a desert wine but it certainly has enough beer-like qualities to achieve an interesting balance here. Unique, I will give it that, is this flavor overwhelmingly wonderful? No. It is pretty damn good though, if a little cloying towards the end.

M – The mouthfeel is impressive actually. It is full and opulent and yet it is not too thick or very sticky. It is very well executed and may be the highlight of the beer actually.

O – I think it’s very cool that I am able to drink a beer made with ingredients from King Midas’ 2,700 year old tomb, but that novelty will only get you so far. This is a very unique beer, and I’m glad to have drank it, but it is not outstanding really. Unique does not equal great unfortunately. Is this good? Absolutely. Do I recommend you try it? For sure. But know that I am not recommending this because I think it will knock your socks off, so much as because I think it’s cool, and definitely good. Just not great.

KKB, Dec 20, 2012