Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

pDev: 25%
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Midas Touch Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,597 | Hads: 4,538
3.88/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours yellow, amber with a tint from the saffron making it bolder. Nose is grape skin, mild earth, slight hops herbal. Grass with a bit of sweetness. Malt is sweet and the grape skin flavor is bright, light and really easy to like in this beer. Juicy middle, herbal back notes. Dry, bubbly. The honey on this one is like a raw floral scent and taste is light. Orange and a fruit rind scent that I can't place. Spice , Bread crusts and a mild ester from alcohol. A bit of alcohol sweetness on the palate too but not even any warming. Delightful! The malt was so deep on this pale beer. The flavors crisp and the breaddiness surprising.

2.73/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bought this on a whim as my wife was rushing me and I walked by the singles and grabbed it. $4 a bottle must be good right, ancient beer, who can go wrong. Well this beer did, if that's what you call it. The look was good but once on the nose I was a little disappointed. Then the taste, whoa. WTF, way busy taste of wine, honey and, like paste you ate in kindergarten. I've only poured a few beers out and was temped to pour this in the garden but was able to power through it as I didn't want the ants to enjoy this sweet $4 treat.

I only give it this score because i did drink it but glad I have an DIPA to wash this taste away quickly

3.39/5  rDev -8.9%

A medium hazy pour of a bright golden bodied beer hits the glass for this beer. A small, 1 cm head forms and doesn't hang around very ling. Head was thick and frothy before going away. Spices and light malts hit the nose first and give a semi-sweet and peppery overall impression of the scent. Some white grape characteristics finish the smell and linger a bit. The taste starts off with a dry white grape flavor and a touch of bitterness. The flavor sweetens up a bit in the middle when the honey and malts kick in. A certain balance is struck, but on the whole the flavor leans towards a white wine dryness. As far as the feel goes, there is no trace of the 9% ABV outside of a touch of dull bitterness in the flavor of the beer.

Overall, this is a fairly complex beer that will please the white wine lover. The grapes and spices give it a rather dry wine-like flavor profile on the whole. Not a bad beer in the end.

4.55/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Just had this on tap for the first time and it's even better than the bottled version. Midas has such complex flavors that just tickle every single taste bud. It goes down smooth and leaves a pleasant aftertaste on the tongue. If you see this on draft - GET IT

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

L: Yellow gold. Suspended particles give a medium cloudy look.
S: Honey, skunky lager.
T: Light honey, some skunk. Grape.
F: Crisp, a little acidic bite.
O: Interesting. Definitely worth a try. Pretend you're a Pharaoh.

4.02/5  rDev +8.1%

force a golden honey color, clear, not much head.
Smells of earth tones, pear, and Heather.
Tastes of white grape, honey and spice in the background.
Mouth feel is crisp.
Not a bad offering!

3.54/5  rDev -4.8%

This has got to be the smoothest beer to have ever been poured down. I wasn't too excited about the taste though, so it was a disappointment. I would have loved more grape flavor.

3.34/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light copper with a minimal head. Mostly clear. Has a very herby, earthy sweet smell that reminds me of a mead, but not as heavy. Very honey forward in flavor with a muscadine grape in the back. Not too spicy and I really don't get too much saffron.

It feels a little oily on the tongue, but not in a bad way.

Overall, it's nice and different, but not something I'd go out of my way to get.

2.46/5  rDev -33.9%

Not a big fan of the sweetness. I love Dogfish and I was excited about the line of "ancient" beers. Not my thing with the honey but it was pleasing to the eye and had a nice aroma.

4.68/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours light orange/yellow with thin, quickly dissipating head.

S: Yeast with...something else.

T: Dry with light to moderate honey that blends well with the grapes. Very pleasant.

F: Dry, light. Dry.

O: Great flavor that surprised me. A super mix of subtle flavors. And I love the dryness.

3.11/5  rDev -16.4%

A - hazy light orange color with foamy head
S - a lot of grape
T - Nice taste of purple grapes & wheat. The grape stays through but a bit of nasty cheap beer taste hovers in the background
M - smooth with a tiney bit of carbonation
O - Nice - not for every day but good taste but sometimes the funky cheap lager taste surfaces

4.41/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: golden hazy peach color

S: wine, grapes. I'm not a huge wine nut, but it smells like a sweet Riesling.

T: Never had a herbed beer quite like this. Tastes of white grape juice, saffron. A bit like a Riesling honestly...less sweet.

F: soft drink carbonation. Again nothing to compare it to, but I can't complain.

O: tasty first Beer that's sweet but dissent overdue it. Great Beer/wine feel.

4.36/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Described as an "ancient" ale, it pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a head that foams up nicely, but retreats quickly. The nose is complex with honey, bananas, muscat grapes. The hop character is very subdued if present at all. The flavor is very sweet but in a good way, like in a Belgian-style. Again, there is good flavor of honey. It is full bodied with a nice alcohol heat that is equal to the carbonation and cream. I had one of these in my wine cellar for about 11 months after purchase and it was just as good as the first one I ever opened.

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%

I've been on a DFH kick and just started to try them all.

A - Bright golden color. Thin white head with coarse bubbles. Quite hazy almost looked like a hefe.

S - Very interesting it has a sweet honey like character with some maltiness. No hops to be found but has some alcohol kick and resembled a floral wine.

T - Has a honey sweetness up front with a more savory malt character and a fruity, floral character in the middle with a slight alcohol finish. It tastes like a sweet mead mixed with a Belgian blond or triple. It's pretty complex beer but it is on the sweet side. It is mostly crisp with a malt character and some alcohol but no bitterness.

M - Medium mouth-feel. Light carbonation. For being so sweet and higher in alcohol it does drink pretty well. I couldn't drink it often but it isn't too cloying or bity.

Overall, a pretty good beer. I stick with my first thought though of just a mixture of mead and beer which isn't a bad thing but is not exactly what I was expecting. All of the "honey" beers I've had in the past really just have a little more residual sweetness and a thinner body but this one definitely has that honey flavor which is a nice touch. Not my favorite DFH offering but if you have tried all their others probably worth a shot.

Glass- Perfect Pint

A - Pours a rich honey gold, form a white one finger head that quickly and entirely dissipates. No lacing.
S - Smell is quite misleading, smells sweet and metallic.
T - Sweet hops upfront followed by a mild warm honey with white grape at the end. Quite unique.
O - An interesting beer, couldn't drink everyday or very often for that matter, but worth a shot to see what it's like.
V - I gave the lowest rating because this stuff is over 14 dollars for a 4 pack locally.

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure where I go these, but have a 4 pack, presumably picked up locally but possibly a gift from a traveling friend or family? Enjoyed for an ancient ales chalice.

a - brew pours a murky, unfiltered with lots o floaties, yellow orange. A thin head was gone quick leaving some oily patches of bubbles on the surface.

s - nose is grainy, fairly pilsner like. Malt, barley, little honey and a hint of white wine.

t/m/o - the first thing that jumps out at me is the feel, fairly full bodied...but smooth. Finish is kind of macro grainy and a bit off putting. The flavor is similar, very grainy and malty. The white wine grape is the only real redeeming quality of the beer, kind of like a imperial adjunct lager...with some white wine and honey hints. Not bad but not great either, but good enough. While I find the concept of ancient ales to be an interesting science experiment, my overall feeling is that if these beer recipes didn't survive time, there might be a reason. Definitely one for the tickers and potential crossover beer for the macro fans.

2.68/5  rDev -28%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not what I expected. I wanted to like this beer, but something just seemed off about it. I may have to give it another try at a later date, just to be fair.

3.74/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Light golden in colour, very clear with a slight white head, has good film and lacing though.

S- quite grapey, with also some candied notes, hard to place exactly, mix of cotton candy and boozey plums, lemon candies, some clean acidity, reminds me of overly sweet fruit candies, jujubes maybe.

T- similar flavours, but more nuanced and more depth, oaky grapes and vanilla honey, lime citrus, honey and deeper floral tones, spice is upfront and blends with the honey. There really are a hundred things going on at once here, and that can be a bit overwhelming, but the underlying honey sweetness drives through a consistant feel to the finish, which is lingering with plum notes and some spice.

M- big body but the alcohol really only adds to the body as this is a really pleasant beer that blends the sweetness with some acidity, I think some of the overly sweet notes persist but overall the balance is. Pretty solid.

Very out there, seems almost a split personality in mixing a melange of strong flavoured ingredients and also creating a beer with a broad appeal. I did really enjoy the skill that went into crafting this, given that ingrediant list I doubt I could replicate something with this complexity and nuance, for that I will forgive some of the critiques and say this was a beer I was certainly glad to try.

4.51/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: nice lacing and head retention with a clean white head. Opaque orange color.

Nose: Floral, sours, honey, jasmine.

Taste: Like a fruity hefeweizen with floral notes and honey.

Notes: This is simply an awesome classic.

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

The label tells you it includes honey, and the honey is what makes this so smooth. If it weren't for all the other ingredients that remind you you're drinking beer and NOT honey, you'd think you were guzzling from one of those plastic bears. The sweetness is kept in check by the saffron and other fun stuff included and I would drink this beer every day for a long time if I could.

4.26/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - This beer looks like your typical golden, clear brew, with a short white head that fades quickly, leaving a ring of white. A little lacing, but not much.

S - The nose on this is unique. Floral elements are front and center. As it warms, a slight sour element comes forward. Honey and jasmine. Subtle spices of an indefinite nature.

T - Following on the nose, we have sour grape notes, honeyed sweetness. Floral notes, like candied petals. A line of grains and bread comes in near the end, the first flavor to suggest beer to me. Delicious, there is an aspect that suggests hefeweizen, with fruit and yeast elements, but we are in different territory nevertheless.

M - The only place where I think this beer is not hitting on all cylinders, there is a slightly waxy feel that rests on the top of the roof of my mouth after I swallow. There is moderate carbonation to scrub most of it away, but not all of it.

O - An interesting flavor profile, delicious, highly unusual. At 9%, this delivers the hammer, but the alcohol remains largely hidden. It reminds me of ciders and, yes, wine, in its flavor profile, but the close is all about grains and beer flavors. Not something I'd grab often, but something I might share with my wine drinking friends to illustrate the range of what a beer can be.

4.24/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beige/light golden and translucent color. A thin head quickly dissapates into a thin lace that retains well that is frothy and bubbles after each sip.
Aroma is fruity and grape like. Also, honey and spices.
Taste is pretty much connected with the aroma. Mostly fruity/grapey sweet with a slightly dry and wine like finish. Instead of hops, the sweetness is tempered by the spice.
Feel is wine like, with a moderate to low carbonation that really stings the tongue when first served.
Overall, I like this beer in that like many of DFH's other products, it is unique and challenges conventional beer. As others have commented, I wouldn't drink it everyday, but would certainly buy again and have on occasion. Would be great with a meal.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

I am more of a stout/porter guy so I'll get straight to the point. You will like this, most everyone you offer it to will like this. It's a bit pricey which is preventing me from giving it any higher. But a great beer all around. Heard others bring comparisons to Bell's Venus, this IMO trumps it easily.

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a New Belgium globe

A: Pours slightly hazy golden yellow with a creamy egg shell white head that fades but laces fairly well.

S: Grape comes through first, a bit like a white wine, a light spice note, maybe a touch of funk, some honey, and a bit of malt sweetness.

T: Lightly tart up front with some of the grape coming through, followed a little spice that really comes out as it warms, some malt sweetness, then a big hit of honey. Hides it's alcohol well, maybe a faint note on the finish.

M: Medium body, quite smooth, with lighter carbonation.

O: Very cool brew, glad I got to try it, though not something I'd buy on a regular basis.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Date: 9/4/2014
Other notes: Bottled 12/30/13. Just picked it up at the store a few days ago. So it's likely been sitting on the shelf at room temperature for several months.

Appearance - 4.25/5
Pours a remarkably clear golden-orange. No head. Can see lots of large carbonation bubbles slowing to the top at a much slower than typical speed. Overall, I love the clearness and color of this beer. I wish there was more head, but when you're making an ancient 2700 year old ale, the point is to experience the drink as it actually was, not how I want it to be.

Smell - 4/5
Sweet maltiness, a strong grape presence which I assume adds to the sweetness of the smell. There are some spices as well. Maybe a tiny bit of alcohol smell, but at 9%, that's not usual.

Taste - 3.5/5
The taste is hard to describe, likely because I am not used to the ingrediants (or my palate is just unrefined). A strong grape presence, but perhaps with a more wine like character. If I remember correctly, the taste is somewhat similar to DFH's Noble Rot, which is also made with grapes. It's very sweet, perhaps a little too much for my liking. Overall the taste includes sweet maltiness, grapes, perhaps a little honey. Overall, an interesting beer, but don't think I'm a gigantic fan of the taste.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
The beer is light to medium in body and is very crisp. The carbonation is fairly light, but kicks in a little more near the end of the sip (or if you move it around in your mouth). Overall, very smooth, I liked the feel of this beer.

Overall - 4/5
While this is not a beer I would want to drink all the time, I could see this being something to drink occasionally, when perhaps you are looking for something sweet and with a little bit more of a wine character. I am giving the rating a slight bump simply because I love the idea of the 'Ancient Ale' series, and I love the fact that this recipe is 2700 years old.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery