2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Midas Touch - Dogfish Head Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

good

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  9.00% ABV

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

(Beer added by: purplehops on 10-31-2001)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Ratings: 3,642 | Reviews: 1,526 | Show All Ratings:
SebD

Ontario (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: It has a nice golden/orange color to it. It has a nice white head that dies down moderately fast and leaves very little lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of honey, grass, grapes and a slight breadiness.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a some sweet honey, earthy/grassy notes, bready malts, grapes and a touch of white wine.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas.

07-18-2013 22:29:34 | More by SebD
SSS

Quebec (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yet another beer that I really wanted to like...

A-Head dissipated quickly, yellow with a hint of orange
S-Smells sweet, and you get a grape must funk
T-Very complex, there are many enjoyable layers, perhaps too many for my inexperienced palate.
M-Good carbonation for the high alcohol content, fine bubbles
O-This is a flavorful beer that is not an everyday experience, I would say that you should try it once, its just not for me.

07-18-2013 00:56:30 | More by SSS
DFlynn

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a frosted pint glass. Poured smoothly to a 1/4" white head. Probably should have used a goblet in hindsight.

A - 1/4" head disappeared quickly. Orange, slightly copper color. Fine carbonation rising throughout a 10 minute delay.

S - white grapes from the start, maybe a touch of cinnamon.

T - sweet hit first, followed by a finish of warm spices and caramel

M - much more full bodied than expected from the look. Carbonation returned with the taste - somewhat fooled by the appearance.

O - good overall, probably best enjoyed post meal, or with a sweet-ish main course.

This is a very complex beer that could be perceived many different ways. I had just finished a spicy Antipasto salad, and I'm sure that influenced my comments.

07-11-2013 02:04:58 | More by DFlynn
Tonmeister

Georgia

Bottle Poured in a Don Julio Tulip Shaped Glass

Appearance: Golden yellow, light amber with no head at all, but with a carbonated lacing around the glass.

Smell: The overall aroma is fairly sweet and spicy. Grapefruit, honey, barley. Smells like wine and champagne.

Taste: The taste reminds me of chardonnay. It's pretty sweet and spicy. I main flavor I can pick up is the grapefruit. It's spicy on the front-end and sweet towards the end from the malt and the barley.

Mouthfeel: light medium bodied with moderate carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall, this is a really good beer. It gives me an insight into how beer tasted back in 750 BC. I would recommend this beer for anyone to try it, but I wouldn't really buy this on a regular basis. I would drink this on special occasions, while everyone drinks wine I'll have a Midas Touch by Dogfish Head.

07-05-2013 17:13:25 | More by Tonmeister
Trapman

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from bottle to pint glass

A-virtually no head at all, looks pretty carbonated pours a clear gold with an orange hue

S- sweet, I can smell the honey that is in it, slight spice (cinnamon only a hint of the saffron) after some breathing time the muscat comes out

t-not as sweet as expected, very light, pleasant and very mild - especially for the 9%. The flavor has a pretty cool progression from a mild pilsner to the grape flavor with just a hint of the saffron at the finish...

m-low carbonation, almost clean finish - lingers a bit on the back of the throat and you can feel some spice under the tongue although that could just be the burn of the alcohol

o- not my favorite beer but I think it has a really interesting story and the flavors made me keep sipping just to go through the flavors and pick them out... definitely worth a try

07-01-2013 01:42:18 | More by Trapman
silverking

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well, this is my first beer from the Dogfish Head brewery.

A- Pours a clear gold with one finger of white head. Head retention is poor, but there is a constant thin layer of foam. Well defined rings of lace.

S- It has a crisp aroma that reminds me of starfruit. As I dive deeper, I find aromas of white grapes, honey, and light notes of malt. I'm not detecting much saffron.

T- Slightly tart white grape interwoven with sweet honey. The finish is long and surprisingly dry with a mild herbal hop bitterness and mild fruit flavors.

M- light/medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O- Really good.

06-22-2013 23:52:04 | More by silverking
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle dated 5/2/11 into a Dogfish Head snifter. The pour is clear, dark gold, effervescent, and displays a nice bloom. The nose is very malty. I get sweet treacle-like notes, brown sugar, molasses, brown bread, and toffee. I also get some fruitiness as well, primarily grapes and pears.

The beer is medium-full bodied and has a surprisingly balanced flavor. It does not bring forth all that sweetness on the nose. Rather, it is very nicely balanced between sweetness and spiciness. Up front I get a mish-mash of sweet bready malt and fresh apples. Neither dominates and both complement each other quite well. At mid-palate some of the brewing spices start to come forward. I don't know if it's the saffron, but it goes really well with the apple flavors up front. No booziness whatsoever, despite the fairly high ABV (of course, it does have about 2 years on it). The finish is slightly dry with just a touch of white wine character. It is very drinkable. The mouthfeel is silky smooth.

Dogfish Head beers are hit or miss with me. This one has been in my cellar for a while and I was ready to hate it. What a pleasant surprise this beer was. I thought it was one of the better DFH beers I have had. Complex and hearty, yet also quite refreshing and easy to drink. I don't know what I'd compare this beer to. It has the malty character of a Biere de Garde and the herbal qualities of a Saison. Very well done DFH!

06-22-2013 23:23:08 | More by deadonhisfeet
Jeffreysan

Maryland

4.56/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy/hazy golden straw/yellow color with a finger or so of off-white dense head. It has a pretty good head retention that settled into a thick halo of foam, around the glass. Very nice lacing.

Aroma: First impression is of flowers and fruit and honey, like a white wine. I got some clover, grass and peaches. Very pleasant.

Taste: Upfront is all honey and wine and clover, crisp and sweet followed then by malty bread and spice, and finally, a semi-tart finish.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and crisp, more like a Riesling wine, rather than a heffeweizen or wit bier. Good carbonation, followed by a pleasant touch of alcohol.

Overall: This is my kind of a summer beer! Extremely tasty, extremely smooth and sippable, and very refreshing. And even at 9% ABV, it’s easy to kick back, and have a few of these and enjoy a lazy summer weekend afternoon. Just be careful when you stand up. You’ll soon realize where that 9% ABV went. This is the third of the Ancient Ale Series that I’ve tried and it’s the third that I’ve really liked by Dogfish Head.

06-17-2013 21:48:58 | More by Jeffreysan
IchLiebeBier

Appearance: Golden orange; big frothy head, long lasting

Aroma: Malty; floral hops; white wine

Taste: White wine; malt; touch of honey; smooth and tasty

Remarks: interesting and enjoyable

Didn't score A, S, T, M at that time, so please disregard those scores

06-15-2013 21:42:07 | More by IchLiebeBier
ironchefmiyagi13

4.11/5  rDev +10.5%

Bottled 6/21/12
Closing in on a year

Psh, not recommended to cellar my butt. This beer is fantastic even after a year. I am a big wine drinker, so I definitely appreciate the use of grape must.

This is such an interesting beer I feel as if I can't grade it off of anything I have ever tasted and instead just grade it as I see fit for a one of a kind beer. Aroma is heavy perfume of wine, spices and juicy grapes. The flavor is much of the same. You can definitely tastes that saffron on the finish. The honey is what makes this such a smooth drinker. It's present in both the aroma and the flavor profile and just coats your palate with sweet nectar-like ambrosia. King Midas would definitely have swigged a couple of these back in his day.

A definite love for me. Now I'd like to see how it drinks fresh. I recommend experimenting and putting one away for a year and seeing how the wine transforms.

06-12-2013 02:44:19 | More by ironchefmiyagi13
thegodfather1076

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: Very cool label with attractive colors and graphics. Gives brewery info, web info, a small description of the beer, and ABV info. Neck label has DFH logo. Part of DFH Ancient Ales series. Bottled on date(11/21/12)

Appearance: I poured Midas Touch from its 12oz glass bottle into a 13oz flute. Midas touch poured out a slightly hazy golden yellow color with a 3 finger off white dense foam head. Head retention was 4min 13sec before fading into a thick coating and ring. Nice lacing. 4/5

Smell/Aroma: Smells of a floral aroma with hints of white grape and honey. Very herbal with a slightly earthy tone and hints of saffron, 4/5

Flavor/Taste: Huge hints of honey on the front end along with a hint of white grape juice. Mid point is filled with strong saffron and herbal tones complimented with a nice floral accent. Finishes semi tart with a nice alcohol bite. 3.75/5

MouthFeel/Drinkability: Medium bodied smooth and crisp with a fairly high amount of carbonation. Different but drinkable. 3.75/5

Overall/Comments: A completely different beer than I have ever had before. I really how DFH experiments and brings different beer experiences to the craft beer drinker. This beer was pretty light in nature and reminds me of a carbonated mead. Consumed 3/24/13. Classified as a Herbal/Spiced Beer at 9% ABV. 3.75/5

05-26-2013 14:49:33 | More by thegodfather1076
Roman5150

Spain

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

bottle into pint glass, paired with steak

appearance: pale yellow/light amber, foamy white head 2 fingers thick, active carbonation

smell: heavy notes of grape, saffron, very odd and unique smelling beer. smells very sweet, with sort of a biscuity malty scent coming out of the bottle.

taste: grape heavy, has some characteristics of red wine, very dry, sweet, a rollercoast of unique flavors. It's very hard to describe, it's almost like a Belgian Strong Ale (tremens/duvel/la chouffe) mixed with a red wine, with elements and the feel of champagne. Goes very VERY well with anything off the grill, I had mixed vegetables and steak.

mouthfeel: high carbonation, medium feel, not too light but certainly not heavy

overall: Probably THE most unique brew i've had, not sure what to think as it's so far out there compared to anything I had, but it was very pleasant and I really enjoyed it. If you like odd and strange beers, this one's for you. Not my favorite DFH, but a very good beer and I love how they're not afraid to try something new. GOes really well with grilled steak, if you like red wine and beer, you will probably find something in this that you will like. Hats off to Sam Caligione.

05-11-2013 06:26:14 | More by Roman5150
vkv822

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz : Teku

Clear golden with a foamy, white head.

The honey and grapes really come through in the nose. Not unpleasant at all, but fairly unusual for a beer.

Still lots of honey and vinous notes, but also with a hearty, caramel, bready, malt background.

Medium body, average foamy carbonation.

A very interesting beer, the nose had me both intrigued and a bit apprehensive. The taste reminded me a bit of an English barleywine.

05-01-2013 08:30:27 | More by vkv822
chinchill

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - clear, with some bubbles that rise very slowly, as if the beer was highly viscous. The small off-white head soon reduces to a ring.

S: only a little like like wine; more like mead,and more yet like beer, with some bready and vague spice aromas.

T: The flavor was stronger and way weirder that the aroma. {When drinking this and writing up my review, I vaguely recalled that this was based on an ancient recipe, but didn't know any of the details). Too boozy. Has some weird flavor components that are hard to identify and seem to include exotic fruit(s) and spices.

M: Medium+ carbonation. Light body.

O: an interesting 'beer' that I would try again, but out of curiosity rather than a strong desire to have this again.

04-28-2013 23:48:38 | More by chinchill
Segelstrom

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - poured clear with a modest head that wasn't well retained

S - not much to go on there. smell was faint. not hoppy, not malty and thankfully not skunky

T - Decent but not up to the Dogfish standards. I didn't pick up on the fruity flavors I had read about

M - Just about right. not overcarbonated

O - decent but I would not buy again

04-28-2013 22:12:16 | More by Segelstrom
thecheapies

3.74/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Honey color. Lip of head that doesn't lace. Pretty clear. I like the color.

Honey, herbal aromas, white grapes, treacle, sugars, and yeast powder. Chalky nose, but super sweet. I think the saffron addition did something to the aroma, adding herbaceous notes, but it's not as easily identifiable... and my mother's Spanish.

Floral saffron and honey, but it's drying out all of a sudden. Not sugary anymore. White wine notes from the Muscat. Not the usual raisin-y dessert wine note. Maybe a semi-dry sherry. Malts aren't as thin as they were in the nose, but they certainly aren't representing themselves with any oomph. No hops, really. Every note is from an additive. I'm missing that base grain cereal note. It's decent, but mainly because it's weird.

Medium carbonation. Implied spiciness is rather invigorating. The body is a glazed medium. There's some headiness that swells long after the sip.

Midas Touch is a beer that I'll always misunderstand. But, the truth of it is that it's a decent beer that I just can't seem to really like all that much. But, I now know (after revisiting) that it's much more enjoyable since the last time I had one... about three years ago.

04-28-2013 15:07:04 | More by thecheapies
BurgeoningBrewhead

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into teku glass. Clear light orange/yellow with a fizzy single-finger white head that dissipated quickly. As it poured, it smelled like a white wine/champagne. In the glass however it smells different; yeasty, but with a hint of grape and sweetness. Taste-wise, it has a similar profile to the others in the ancient ale series, especially the Sah'tea. Smooth and yeasty, sweetness predominates. Spice notes come in towards the end, along with a little warming alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium but slick, a bit fizzy. I was expecting something more wine-like, such as the Noble Rot, but this was still an interesting beer. Not sure if I'd pick it up again, but always worth a try.

04-28-2013 02:10:41 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead
Misanthropy_Sipping

Nebraska

3.24/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Last bottle from a four pack. Time for a review...

Pours a deep gold... I don't want to make any bad references but just think... "deep golden fluid".

Anyway, has a small white head that dissipates and a small patch of bubbles than seem to continually rest on the top.

The smell is pretty interesting, I kind of like it in an odd way. The muscat grape smell comes through pretty nice when swirled. Smells musky... has a nice dry white wine scent. A bit floral. There is a hint of honey. And also an odd smell of booze and malt, a similar scent of malt that one might catch from a general malt liquor.

The taste is not to bad. It's awkward and slightly intriguing. The honey takes to the front with a bit of the muscat, and bobbles its way along through the malty sweetness that is bait sticky. There is a slight floral thing that comes through. You get a bit of the saffron swirled in. It's definitely winey as it warms up and has a mild twang with the booze on the end. The muskiness is there pretty good at the end as well.
Nothing really pops though, it's not incredibly striking. It's interesting. That is what it has going for it.

The mouthfeel is fairly light. Sticky... which fits with the rest of the beer.

I guess the one thing that throws me is this malt liquor-ish taste going on. I think it is due to the melding of malt and the grapes and booze mainly. I like the history involved with the beer, the thought behind it. But it's not something I will be dying to have or go back and get anytime soon. I more or less bought this for the take on history. It's a conversation beer maybe for mixed crowds of people who do and don't know a lot about beer. Worth the try. Just not for my palate I guess.

04-27-2013 05:38:29 | More by Misanthropy_Sipping
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.99/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a mostly clear straw color. The head is a one finger white shade. It's texture isn't particularly appealing, and the rest of the brew isn't particularly attractive, either.

S: Let's see, on the nose we have honey, grape, grains, mild diacetyl, and an herbal component. Not all of it comes together successfully - in a way, the aroma smacks of a white wine meeting a malt liquor by way of a car crash. Interesting if nothing else.

T: Sweeter than the nose indicated. An initial quality of honey and grape sweetness is the first flavor noted, slightly drying out to a grainy midtaste and finish. Saffron notes mildly augment things throughout. The whole "malt liquor-cum-white wine via car crash" descriptor I threw out before suits the flavor profile perfectly; it's a combination that sounds horrid, but the end result is only rather blah.

M: A bit heavy on the tongue, aided by its initial sweetness. It becomes very dry past the midtaste, and actually very easy to drink. Carbonation is mostly covered up by the syrupy qualities.

O: Why the disparity between the smell/taste and overall scores? This is a simple example of a brew greater than the sum of its parts. My initial opinion of the aroma and flavor profile isn't particularly positive - and yet, the whole thing kind of works after several sips. I'm not sure if it's because the dry finish gives it great drinkability for 9% or what not, but it ends up being pretty decent. I can see wine drinkers enjoying this a lot.

04-20-2013 01:47:32 | More by ThisWangsChung
RenownedHack

Kentucky

3.71/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up in a 12 oz. bottle, bottled on 4/23/12. Poured into a large wine glass.

A: Light foamy head, dissipating quickly. Gorgeous lacing remains throughout. Rich amber color, catching the light quite nicely. This is an attractive beer, I must say.

S: The aroma is certainly fruity. Barley is evident, some sweetness, and an underlying earthiness just beneath the more dominant elements. When I say dominant, however, I do not mean that any of these are knocking you off your feet or assaulting your senses; it's kind of laid back and balanced, but not to the overall detriment of the nose. It doesn't feel weak or lacking, but it's not especially assertive.

T: There's a great deal of sweetness to the taste, as expected from the smell - possibly even more, however. Honey sweet, and grape are the dominant tastes, and that's a little too sweet for my tastes. There is a nice, slightly grainy finish, but the honey taste overstays its welcome a bit, lingering on the palate a bit too long.

M: Crisp would be the first word that comes to mind describing this. This is very drinkable, easy to throw back, but with a lingering slightly syrupy feel as the honey sticks around.

O: This isn't a bad brew by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't imagine actively seeking it out beyond just a single bottle in the future, just for something a little different. The sweetness I find a bit overwhelming - I've never had much of a sweet tooth - but I could see a lot of people really getting down with this brew.

04-14-2013 05:54:31 | More by RenownedHack
mfnmbvp

2.83/5  rDev -23.9%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date reading 04/23/2012, so this beer is approaching it's first birthday. If this beer proves unfruitful, I might have to pick up a fresher bottle and see what the difference is. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Fairly aggressive pour yields about a quarter inch of rapidly dissolving white fizzy head. Body color is light gold, almost a pilsner color with a good amount of sediment floating around. Looks pretty nice, indeed.

S - Smell is of barley, yeast, honey, and some must. Almost a faint brettanomyces smell coming out of this one, also. Not a very powerful smelling beer.

T - Bleh. Sweet, smooth honey-like taste gives way to the malted barley. Definitely has something of a pilsner like taste to it. Aftertaste is comprised of corn & grain, with a bit of alcohol heat and a hint of champagne-like sweetness from the white muscat grapes. In a way, it tastes like a thick heavy malt liquor.

M - Feel is clean, a bit sticky, some alcohol warmth hanging out. A dry, wine-like finish.

Overall, one of the worst beers I have had from Dogfish Head, if not the worst. There are some nice, subtle wine-like characteristics to this beer, but it falls flat in it's attempt. Too much malted barley taste, for my liking, and not enough honey and grapes. Pleasant warming 9.00% abv isn't enough to save this attempt. I appreciate what they're trying to do with their ancient ales, but this is not one I will be trying again any time soon.

Dogfish Head Midas Touch ---3/5.

04-13-2013 03:11:03 | More by mfnmbvp
Ivanhoes_Backpack

New Brunswick (Canada)

4.36/5  rDev +17.2%

341ml bottle I acquired for $4.25 in Machias, Maine - three hours from where I live, in NB, Canada. Yes, gotta drive that far to get new beer. Another $4.25 or so for duty, so about $8.50 for one 12oz beer. Better be good!

This beer really is like a cross between wine, beer and mead (which I assume tastes a lot like honey. Pours a golden colour (hence the name) with a nice film of white head that sticks around a while. Sweet smell of flowers (assume saffron), really pleasing. A lot of honey on the palate, some grape juice, a bit of booze on the finish, but the 9% is hidden very well. Smooth.

Really impressed with the beer. I've had some bad experiences with Dogfish Head in the past, but this one really surprised me.

03-27-2013 00:49:25 | More by Ivanhoes_Backpack
socon67

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden pour with a light white foam head. Tiny chmpagne bubbles of carbonation float to the top. Lacing is in tiny rings.

S - Smells of white grapes, and some earthy spices. This really smells like a wine\beer hybrid. Not sure if I really like it, but it is certianly different. Some belgian yeast strain is noted.

T - Very cloyingly sweet. Sweet fermented grapes and a bit of fruit tartness finishes with a spicy bite at the end. Some honey flavor is felt ont he tongue. Overall this is coming off as a dessert wine.

M - While this is well balanced and smooth for the ABV, the sweetness makes this a beer I'd have at cocktail hour and then move on. Not something you would have a few of.

O - This is the last of the "ancient ales" of DFH that I've tried and it is somewhere in the middle. Worth trying but not the best of the bunch.

03-21-2013 00:34:19 | More by socon67
xShoWTeKx

4.44/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a beautiful golden color with a very small white head even from straight drop pour.

S: A wonderful grape smell with a very very faint honey back ground.

T: Hand in hand with smell a nice grape/wine taste with a slight honey finish, the alcohol is hidden very well in this also.

M: Light body with great carbonation

O: A very different beer for me but very good, would definitely drink again.

03-14-2013 07:39:56 | More by xShoWTeKx
Maxwell

3.71/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a fiery orange-yellow that sits in the glass close to copper in color with a huge army of bubbles racing through the beer constantly to replenish the head. The head sits nicely atop the beer as a creamy off-white color, with the bubbles holding to a size just below medium. The beer’s body is murky and full of chunky particles floating in the glass. It looks like swamp water with algae in it. On the nose, the beer smells raisiny sweet, with some definite candied grape/raisin notes and strong currents of sweet candied wine. I presume the saffron is one of the fruity candied smells I am detecting but I can’t be sure as I have never taken the time to pick out the smell of saffron before… Honey is also very prevalent in the nose, giving it a gooey sweet feel in the nostrils. On the tongue, the beer tastes very sweet with some light acidity and a touch of bitter on the sides of the tongue. The flavor begins as sweet caramelly barley, slowly working its way towards a sweet muscato wine with lovely nuances of mead and very slight bread from the barley. The finish is a medium in length, tingling with sweet wine flavors and a touch of sweet honey. As I drink more of the beer, and it warms in my hands, I also begin to detect a strong earthy sweet bitter spice on the middle of the palate that has some lasting power. The aftertaste rings with the cloying aftereffects of the wine and honey flavors. On the mouth, the beer feels medium thick in body, but the carbonation is quite strong and prickly, actually working to scrub some of the cloying nature of the beer off the tongue before it becomes unpleasant. The mouth is left neutral with a slight sticky sweet astringency to the tongue. Overall, this is an interesting beer. I totally dig everything that the ancient ales project represents and I think it is awesome to try ancient styles of beer/wine/mead-hybrids, but overall this drink is a little too sweet for me. I’m also noticing a little bit of heat from the alcohol in the back of my throat, especially after the beer has passed through. This is an interesting beer that is worthy of a try, but certainly not one you could chug, and not really a return worthy beer for me.

03-14-2013 03:17:52 | More by Maxwell